PDA

View Full Version : Broncos, Ryan Clady begin to address contract extension

Pages : [1] 2

Bronco Rob
05-19-2012, 05:14 PM
The Broncos have opened contract-extension talks with Ryan Clady, according to several NFL sources.The left tackle is in the final year of his deal that will pay him $3.5 million in 2012. The franchise tag for left tackles this season was $9.4 million. New Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning is almost the anti-Tebow in that the former Indianapolis Colt is one of the NFL's least-sacked passers even though he is also one of the least mobile. Tebow took 33 sacks last year even though he only started 11 games. Manning was sacked 16 times in 16 games in his previous playing season of 2010 and just 10 in 16 games in 2009.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20662875/broncos-ryan-clady-begin-address-contract-extension

:thumbs:

SoCalBronco
05-19-2012, 05:15 PM
I'd tread carefully on this if I were the Broncos. PFT had a post about Clady today and his decline statistically, it wasn't pretty. I think he needs to really prove himself this year before he gets seriously paid. He isn't the same and needs to get alot better.

lonestar
05-19-2012, 05:21 PM
I'd tread carefully on this if I were the Broncos. PFT had a post about Clady today and his decline statistically, it wasn't pretty. I think he needs to really prove himself this year before he gets seriously paid. He isn't the same and needs to get alot better.

Yep I've never been a huge fan of his..

came out of college that played ZBS and although he had great feet, he also had a very mobile QB to help him out..

Then he was injured and frankly I think those great feet are not so great anymore..

I also think that DE's and DC have a book on him and might not be as good as some think..

They have had a TE next to him since year one helping out.. IMO it is time to draft his replacement..

If they do sign him I hope they place some major incentives in it and have an escape clause.

I'm not convinced he will ever be the OLT that he was in his rookie year..

R-Mac
05-19-2012, 05:21 PM
I think Clady's quarterback needs to get better, or get rid of the ball faster. Clady will probably look really good with Manning reading the defense. Jay Cutler and Shanahan's scheme helped Clady a lot in 2008.

Kaylore
05-19-2012, 05:23 PM

I'm going to disagree with you somewhat here. In principle, I agree he isn't who he appeared to be. I do think a lot of his issues have to deal with playing with two of the easiest to sack QB's in the league (for ironically completely opposite reasons) the past two years, as well as going from Ben Hamilton to "just some guys" at RG. I think Cutler made the line look better than they were as he rarely took sacks (for both good and bad reasons.)

My point is, Clady is no longer considered "the best" LT in the league, but I do think he is still top ten, and with better interior players, and a QB that knows what he's doing behind center, I think Clady is worth an extension.

Stuck in Cali
05-19-2012, 05:26 PM
Last year was probably pretty hard on him, cause the QB would get happy feet before the play developed. He has been a solid LT for us and I bet he will get even better. Don't think he wants Manning chewing his ass out.

lonestar
05-19-2012, 05:28 PM
I'm going to disagree with you somewhat here. In principle, I agree he isn't who he appeared to be. I do think a lot of his issues have to deal with playing with two of the easiest to sack QB's in the league (for ironically completely opposite reasons) the past two years, as well as going from Ben Hamilton to "just some guys" at RG. I think Cutler made the line look better than they were as he rarely took sacks (for both good and bad reasons.)

My point is, Clady is no longer considered "the best" LT in the league, but I do think he is still top ten, and with better interior players, and a QB that knows what he's doing behind center, I think Clady is worth an extension.

Good post..

Yep cutlet helped him alot with his feet and then again throwing picks or fumbles..

I'm not so worried about Manning getting sacked as I am him getting hit..

and then there is what happens in two years when his quick read and release are retired..

Again I will say hope they get incentives built in so we are not gassed on a huge salary.. UNLESS he earns it..

Requiem
05-19-2012, 05:37 PM
Lock 'em up.

BroncoMan4ever
05-19-2012, 05:38 PM

I think Clady's decline can be attributed to recovery from the knee injury two years ago and partly last year as well. But also because of Tim's style of play. Tim running all over and his linemen never knowing if he had tucked and run or thrown a pass at the feet, into the stands or 5 yards off the mark led to a lot of holding calls and poor play for the line, Clady especially

Requiem
05-19-2012, 05:41 PM
I think Clady's decline can be attributed to recovery from the knee injury two years ago and partly last year as well. But also because of Tim's style of play. Tim running all over and his linemen never knowing if he had tucked and run or thrown a pass at the feet, into the stands or 5 yards off the mark led to a lot of holding calls and poor play for the line, Clady especially

Tim's lack of pocket awareness and having Pocket Sloth Orton certainly didn't help him. 9 sacks allowed last year and 13.5 combined the two years (BT -- Before Timothy). I really do not think it is a problem, nor is he as bad as the PFT article was trying to attribute him. This is simply a position we cannot afford to re-draft and invest high on.

Tombstone RJ
05-19-2012, 06:00 PM
Clady is coming off a few relatively mediocre seasons. If the Broncos think he's fully recovered from his knee reconstruction and they think he's a top 10 blue chip LT, nows the time to sign him to a long term contract because quite frankly, his value is way down.

If he has a great year with Manning, then the Broncos will have to pay him way more money because Manning made Clady look better.

gyldenlove
05-19-2012, 06:17 PM

Clady is definitely worth an extension, at the very least he is a very servicable starter quality LT, who is strong in the run game and can keep a pocket passer pretty upright.

He clearly has upside to be more than that, and given his age and injury history (only one major injury) I think he is a no brainer to get resigned.

I have not been a big fan of the Eagles M.O. when it comes to resigning promising young players to long deals with relatively little in terms of guaranteed money because you tend to end up with disgruntled players. I do think however that with Clady we are in a situation now that we can sign him at a reasonable deal, he is not going to get Joe Thomas like money. If we can get him at around the value of Donald Penn that would be a solid signing - if we let him get near free agency not only do we risk him having a great year with Manning (which is not impossible) we also risk alienating him with the franchise tag - I think we are better off as a team to get negotiations rolling and then try to sign him early in the season to a 5 year deal.

WolfpackGuy
05-19-2012, 06:27 PM
He's also deadly on the tackle bubble screen.

DBroncos4life
05-19-2012, 07:03 PM
If a QB has time to do an epic 360 spin the line is doing its job. The worst QB in the NFL can get the ball out of his hand in the time it takes a human to spin.

razorwire77
05-19-2012, 07:12 PM

Big co-sign on this. Clady hasn't been an "elite" left tackle since the injury. Part of it isn't his fault, in that he was blocking for fetal position Kyle and a very raw Tim Tebow who at times held the ball way too long.

He's very good, but I'd wait to see what happens this year before you give him elite top 3 paid at his position type coin, which I'm assuming he'll want.

Tombstone RJ
05-19-2012, 07:18 PM
Big co-sign on this. Clady hasn't been an "elite" left tackle since the injury. Part of it isn't his fault, in that he was blocking for fetal position Kyle and a very raw Tim Tebow who at times held the ball way too long.

He's very good, but I'd wait to see what happens this year before you give him elite top 3 paid at his position type coin, which I'm assuming he'll want.

he's had one great year and that was his rookie year. He's not elite. If the Broncos sign him now it shouldn't be for 'elite' money. More like "pretty ok, sometimes" money.

razorwire77
05-19-2012, 07:23 PM
he's had one great year and that was his rookie year. He's not elite. If the Broncos sign him now it shouldn't be for 'elite' money. More like "pretty ok, sometimes" money.

That's my entire point. Extend him now if the contract terms are reasonable. However, if he's demanding top 5 LT in the league type money as part of his extension, he hasn't proven he's worthy of that type of coin. If this year under Manning he has a similar season to his rookie year, than you break the bank.

Wes Mantooth
05-19-2012, 09:58 PM
Keep in mind he switched positions the moment Tebow came into the game. Sign him up long term he's worth it.

Lestat
05-19-2012, 10:39 PM
Clady is a very good LT. he's not what we expected after his rookie year but he's still a top tier LT in this league.
he and Kuper are the keys to our OL and it's success. we need to extend him and continue to improve the OL.

Rolandftw
05-19-2012, 11:07 PM
I'm curious how many sacks that have been credited to Clady, that have been his fault and how many were the case of Tebow holding onto the ball so long/Orton being very incapable of extending plays

Bacchus
05-20-2012, 01:09 AM
I think Clady's quarterback needs to get better, or get rid of the ball faster. Clady will probably look really good with Manning reading the defense. Jay Cutler and Shanahan's scheme helped Clady a lot in 2008.

I agree with this. Orton had terrible pocket awareness as did Tebow. Watch Clady make the Probowl this year now that he has a QB that is going to get rid of the ball on time everytime.

Bacchus
05-20-2012, 01:11 AM
Clady is a very good LT. he's not what we expected after his rookie year but he's still a top tier LT in this league.
he and Kuper are the keys to our OL and it's success. we need to extend him and continue to improve the OL.

I also agree with this. If Denver wants to build a top OL they have to sign Clady so they can solidify the LT position and then address Guard or Center if they feel they must. I think Franklin will be OK. Beadles is still a work in progress.

Man-Goblin
05-20-2012, 05:27 AM
Should have never cut his hair. Or played basketball.

bowtown
05-20-2012, 06:20 AM

came out of college that played ZBS and although he had great feet, he also had a very mobile QB to help him out..

Then he was injured and frankly I think those great feet are not so great anymore..

I also think that DE's and DC have a book on him and might not be as good as some think..

They have had a TE next to him since year one helping out.. IMO it is time to draft his replacement..

If they do sign him I hope they place some major incentives in it and have an escape clause.

What?

CEH
05-20-2012, 06:33 AM
It's like the "lets draft a QB in round 4" because we need to find PFM replacement. Let's move on from Clady and draft his replacement

We need to upgrade Beadles so let's draft a Oline in round 2 because he will be better when Beadles was drafted in round two. Odd thinking if you ask me.

When you want to build a team all things equal you get the QB then LT.
LTs don't grow on trees. I'm sure they will come to an agreement that both sides can find beneficial

You have to be careful judging Clady on '11 when they were ask to switch up mid stream and none of the Olinemen knew where Tebow was and he held onto the ball way too long.

A 3 step drop has to be a 3 step drop in the NFL and then the QB needs to get the ball out to the right WR.

Ask Kupes dad if Olinemen are asked to block all day on any play. No they are asked to do their job and the QB is asked to do his.

Hamrob
05-20-2012, 08:25 AM
Ryan Clady, blew his knee out...rehabbed...came back...and still has not missed 1 NFL Game. The guy is a warrior. He said that he was playing on 1-leg in 2010 and still played every game. Last year, he improved his run blocking...which is a very good thing for this team. Tebow is going to be the QB who is sacked the most, until he learns just to wait until the next play. Clady will be top-5 LT again this year...with Manning.

Get him locked up long-term!

Hamrob
05-20-2012, 08:26 AM

I'm not convinced he will ever be the OLT that he was in his rookie year..Wow, one of the most ignorant posts I've read in a long time.

Hamrob
05-20-2012, 08:28 AM

He's very good, but I'd wait to see what happens this year before you give him elite top 3 paid at his position type coin, which I'm assuming he'll want.Clady is going to dominate this year...with Manning. The Broncos know it. That's why it's the smart thing to do...sign him up now and a bargain price...before you are forced to pay him top-3 money!!!

BroncoMan4ever
05-20-2012, 08:30 AM
It's like the "lets draft a QB in round 4" because we need to find PFM replacement. Let's move on from Clady and draft his replacement

We need to upgrade Beadles so let's draft a Oline in round 2 because he will be better when Beadles was drafted in round two. Odd thinking if you ask me.

When you want to build a team all things equal you get the QB then LT.
LTs don't grow on trees. I'm sure they will come to an agreement that both sides can find beneficial

You have to be careful judging Clady on '11 when they were ask to switch up mid stream and none of the Olinemen knew where Tebow was and he held onto the ball way too long.

A 3 step drop has to be a 3 step drop in the NFL and then the QB needs to get the ball out to the right WR.

Ask Kupes dad if Olinemen are asked to block all day on any play. No they are asked to do their job and the QB is asked to do his.
Agreed. I think the standard rule is the line needs to give the QB about 4 seconds to get rid of the ball. And with guys like Orton and Tim taking all day to get rid of the ball tonly makes the line look bad. With Peyton getting rid of the ball on average in about 3 or 4 seconds it will greatly help the line. Plus knowing wherr your QB is and.what he is doing will decrease the number of holding penalties

ward63
05-20-2012, 08:35 AM
Clady will be the best LT that Peyton has ever had!

Lestat
05-20-2012, 09:26 AM
Agreed. I think the standard rule is the line needs to give the QB about 4 seconds to get rid of the ball. And with guys like Orton and Tim taking all day to get rid of the ball tonly makes the line look bad. With Peyton getting rid of the ball on average in about 3 or 4 seconds it will greatly help the line. Plus knowing wherr your QB is and.what he is doing will decrease the number of holding penalties

that's about right. you give the QB enough time for a 3 step drop, go through his progressions and then deliver. obviously some drops require 5 or 7 steps but for the most part if you give the QB 4 secs and he can't get rid of the ball then something is wrong.

Tombstone RJ
05-20-2012, 10:31 AM
That's my entire point. Extend him now if the contract terms are reasonable. However, if he's demanding top 5 LT in the league type money as part of his extension, he hasn't proven he's worthy of that type of coin. If this year under Manning he has a similar season to his rookie year, than you break the bank.

I guess you missed post 11.

Shananahan
05-20-2012, 10:37 AM
I wouldn't be opposed to Clady making top-five money with incentives, but he'd have to play a season and show he's completely over his injury and back to form in order to receive that straight up.

Really though, his floor is probably above average. The more I think about it, the less I'd care if they paid him more than he's worth right now. The way contracts are constantly growing each season almost forces teams to estimate market value down the road when paying players now, and if they overpay him now on a six or seven-year deal it will probably end up being a fair price in two or three years.

This is all assuming he stays healthy and doesn't forget how to play the position.

Bigdawg26
05-20-2012, 10:50 AM
Clady will be the best LT that Peyton has ever had!

That's not saying to much because Manning always had a crappy line. He just gets the ball out so fast that defenses can't really get to him.

Lestat
05-20-2012, 11:15 AM
That's not saying to much because Manning always had a crappy line. He just gets the ball out so fast that defenses can't really get to him.

yeah but Tarrik Glenn wasn't a scrub at LT though. and Clady is better than him. so that says a lot. LT with Glenn and C with Saturday were pretty good players on the OL for the Colts. their overall line has never been great but those two were standout players.

heck you could argue that if Blake pans out and ends up replacing either Walton or Beadles that this will be the best OL Manning has ever played behind.
that's a very good thing considering the things he was able to do behind a crappy OL.

Bronco Rob
05-20-2012, 12:57 PM
He had Meadows & Glenn two nice bookends at the beginning of his career.

peacepipe
05-20-2012, 01:22 PM
either pay him big now,or somebodyelse will be next yr. Clady isn't going to sign a low-ball contract,and if he plays great this coming season he'll get paid even more.

g6matty
05-20-2012, 01:48 PM
why is everyone hating on clady... the guys a 91 over all in madden we need to lock him up long term

Broncobiv
05-20-2012, 02:19 PM
why is everyone hating on clady... the guys a 91 over all in madden we need to lock him up long term

:hitself:

Bronco Rob
05-20-2012, 03:02 PM
http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa444/Paxil_Rose/b1.png

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/post/19096277

Cito Pelon
05-20-2012, 03:09 PM
He's also deadly on the tackle bubble screen.

He took a shot to the knee also on that ridiculous play. Maybe the alltime dumbest play in Bronco history.

BroncoBen
05-21-2012, 09:00 AM
Last year was probably pretty hard on him, cause the QB would get happy feet before the play developed. He has been a solid LT for us and I bet he will get even better. Don't think he wants Manning chewing his ass out.

I agree.. I think alot of the negative numbers Clady received last year were because of TT. Yes, TT was trying to make things happen.. but that style of play tends to hurt the offense as a whole.. sandlot football is what I call it. Can't expect your linemen to stay on their blocks for more than 5 or 6 Mississippi (seconds).

Bronco Rob
05-22-2012, 06:46 AM
Statistics Don’t Tell Story for Ryan Clady

By ANDY BENOIT May 22, 2012, 6:00 am

Reports about a possible contract extension for Broncos left tackle Ryan Clady recently led to a wave of arguments that his performance had been declining. Those arguments aren’t flawed, but their main points of evidence are.

In truth, Clady’s performance has declined. As a first-round rookie in 2008, he instantly proved to be football’s most athletic left tackle, if not football’s best left tackle. His 2009 season was equally impressive. In the spring of 2010, however, Clady tore his patellar tendon in a pickup basketball game. He didn’t miss any regular-season action, but he clearly didn’t have the same explosiveness. Last season, he regained much of his original form, but he was also mistake-prone.

This is where the flawed evidence comes in. ESPN.com recently got statistical to highlight Clady’s 2011 woes. In 16 starts, according to Stats L.L.C., Clady allowed a career-high nine sacks and was penalized 12 times. Since allowing just a half-sack as a rookie, Clady has given up 24.5 sacks over the past three years.

Here’s the problem: “sacks allowed” is a respectable statistic, but only if taken with a grain of salt. The people at Stats who track and grade game action are required to record the result of a play, not what actually happened on a play. In Clady’s case, many of his allowed sacks were a consequence of Tim Tebow’s running around to buy time. Sure, the man Clady blocked may have gotten the sack, but Clady successfully blocked for an entire seven-step drop; Tebow just turned it into a 13-step drop.

Another caveat: a “sacks allowed” stat can show that a talented left tackle was beaten by a talented edge rusher one or two times, but it can’t show that that talented left tackle singlehandedly kept the talented edge rusher at bay on the other 30-something dropbacks. Sometimes what’s more important than what a player did on a play was what a player was asked to do. Last seaon, the Broncos were often able to ask their left tackle to face the opposing team’s top pass rusher with no tight end help or even a chip block.

This is not meant to be a defense of Ryan Clady. Although Clady did improve as a run blocker in 2011, his overall play has indeed dipped a bit from his first two years. Twelve penalties are far too many, and so are nine sacks when considering that Denver ranked 32nd in pass attempts. But there needs to be more emphasis on the grain of salt. Watch the film and you’ll see, quite clearly, that Clady is a good football player. He just is. The numbers suggest he’s a bottom-feeder; the film shows he’s a top-feeder.

To judge Clady, or any offensive lineman, solely on his “sacks allowed” is akin to judging quarterbacks on interceptions. Fewer negative plays does not equal better performance. Alex Smith threw five interceptions last season; Tom Brady threw 12. But because quarterbacks can be portrayed through multiple statistical categories, no one in their right mind would argue that Smith was a better quarterback than Brady. Smith threw for 3,144 yards; Brady threw for 5,235. Smith had 17 touchdowns; Brady had 39.

Unfortunately, offensive linemen have no other statistics. Sure, there are the little-known rushing stats by field lane (the Broncos when running left last season had 67 power runs, 22 runs of 10-plus yards and 19 negative plays, which are solid all-around numbers), but those are vague and often misleading. For example, a lot of runs to the left are set up by a right guard’s pull block. How is that depicted in the stats?

Many football statistics are circumstantial and/or influenced by a multitude of factors. What’s important is to trust how a player – especially an offensive lineman – looks on film and make that the backbone of evaluation. Because this is what quality front offices do, don’t be surprised if Denver’s “mistake-prone” left tackle soon becomes one of the highest-paid players at his position

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/05/22/statistics-dont-tell-story-for-ryan-clady/

55CrushEm
05-22-2012, 07:11 AM

Reports about a possible contract extension for Broncos left tackle Ryan Clady recently led to a wave of arguments that his performance had been declining. Those arguments aren’t flawed, but their main points of evidence are.

In truth, Clady’s performance has declined. As a first-round rookie in 2008, he instantly proved to be football’s most athletic left tackle, if not football’s best left tackle. His 2009 season was equally impressive. In the spring of 2010, however, Clady tore his patellar tendon in a pickup basketball game. He didn’t miss any regular-season action, but he clearly didn’t have the same explosiveness. Last season, he regained much of his original form, but he was also mistake-prone.

This is where the flawed evidence comes in. ESPN.com recently got statistical to highlight Clady’s 2011 woes. In 16 starts, according to Stats L.L.C., Clady allowed a career-high nine sacks and was penalized 12 times. Since allowing just a half-sack as a rookie, Clady has given up 24.5 sacks over the past three years.

Here’s the problem: “sacks allowed” is a respectable statistic, but only if taken with a grain of salt. The people at Stats who track and grade game action are required to record the result of a play, not what actually happened on a play. In Clady’s case, many of his allowed sacks were a consequence of Tim Tebow’s running around to buy time. Sure, the man Clady blocked may have gotten the sack, but Clady successfully blocked for an entire seven-step drop; Tebow just turned it into a 13-step drop.

Another caveat: a “sacks allowed” stat can show that a talented left tackle was beaten by a talented edge rusher one or two times, but it can’t show that that talented left tackle singlehandedly kept the talented edge rusher at bay on the other 30-something dropbacks. Sometimes what’s more important than what a player did on a play was what a player was asked to do. Last seaon, the Broncos were often able to ask their left tackle to face the opposing team’s top pass rusher with no tight end help or even a chip block.

This is not meant to be a defense of Ryan Clady. Although Clady did improve as a run blocker in 2011, his overall play has indeed dipped a bit from his first two years. Twelve penalties are far too many, and so are nine sacks when considering that Denver ranked 32nd in pass attempts. But there needs to be more emphasis on the grain of salt. Watch the film and you’ll see, quite clearly, that Clady is a good football player. He just is. The numbers suggest he’s a bottom-feeder; the film shows he’s a top-feeder.

To judge Clady, or any offensive lineman, solely on his “sacks allowed” is akin to judging quarterbacks on interceptions. Fewer negative plays does not equal better performance. Alex Smith threw five interceptions last season; Tom Brady threw 12. But because quarterbacks can be portrayed through multiple statistical categories, no one in their right mind would argue that Smith was a better quarterback than Brady. Smith threw for 3,144 yards; Brady threw for 5,235. Smith had 17 touchdowns; Brady had 39.

Unfortunately, offensive linemen have no other statistics. Sure, there are the little-known rushing stats by field lane (the Broncos when running left last season had 67 power runs, 22 runs of 10-plus yards and 19 negative plays, which are solid all-around numbers), but those are vague and often misleading. For example, a lot of runs to the left are set up by a right guard’s pull block. How is that depicted in the stats?

Many football statistics are circumstantial and/or influenced by a multitude of factors. What’s important is to trust how a player – especially an offensive lineman – looks on film and make that the backbone of evaluation. Because this is what quality front offices do, don’t be surprised if Denver’s “mistake-prone” left tackle soon becomes one of the highest-paid players at his position

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/05/22/statistics-dont-tell-story-for-ryan-clady/

Good piece.

HILife
05-22-2012, 07:27 AM

Good Post. Thanks for sharing.

baja
05-22-2012, 08:01 AM
OK someone else's turn to quote the long article and add a two word observation. ;D

ludo21
05-22-2012, 08:06 AM

cool beans

CHANGSTER
05-22-2012, 08:20 AM
Would be interesting to see how many of those sacks and penalties came 4+ seconds after the snap.

DENVERDUI55
05-22-2012, 08:25 AM
I'll bet he is in the probowl this year due to manning. I think he is an average starting KT that doesn't kill you but isn't great either. He will look great this year thanks to his HOF QB.

peacepipe
05-22-2012, 08:39 AM
I'll bet he is in the probowl this year due to manning. I think he is an average starting KT that doesn't kill you but isn't great either. He will look great this year thanks to his HOF QB.

Clady is a pro-bowl quality RT but when you have a QB that holds the ball way too long it going to make any Oline look bad. it's like CBs,they can only effectively cover a WR for so long.

baja
05-22-2012, 08:47 AM
Clady is a pro-bowl quality RT but when you have a QB that holds the ball way too long it going to make any Oline look bad. it's like CBs,they can only effectively cover a WR for so long.

And an even better LT

peacepipe
05-22-2012, 09:16 AM
And an even better LTdoh! my bad.

DENVERDUI55
05-22-2012, 09:23 AM

Pay the man while his stock is down because he is going to look great with 18.

Mogulseeker
05-22-2012, 09:24 AM

I think a lot of that had to do with Tebow not knowing how to move in the pocket.

Plus he was playing injured. I still think Clady is a top-ten, possibly a top-five left tackle.

Mogulseeker
05-22-2012, 09:26 AM

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lyya40iP5W1qid722.jpg

Bronco Rob
05-22-2012, 11:40 AM

:sunshine:

lonestar
05-23-2012, 02:12 PM
I think a lot of that had to do with Tebow not knowing how to move in the pocket.

Plus he was playing injured. I still think Clady is a top-ten, possibly a top-five left tackle.

the key to the whole thing is he ever going to get back to his rookie level?

Something tells me that he did not heal right and will never be that top 5 guy again..

I'll hope that Elway is smart enough to have perfomance clauses in the contract..

Mogulseeker
05-23-2012, 02:39 PM
the key to the whole thing is he ever going to get back to his rookie level?

Something tells me that he did not heal right and will never be that top 5 guy again..

Or that he never had a proper rehabilitation because of the lockout.

They were saying on the 'Herd that Clady is still an elite top-10 left tackle in the NFL... and he'll get better. Now is the time to get it done.

They're saying he should be getting D'brickashaw Ferguson money (about 10m a year).

lonestar
05-23-2012, 02:44 PM
Or that he never had a proper rehabilitation because of the lockout.

They were saying on the 'Herd that Clady is still an elite top-10 left tackle in the NFL... and he'll get better. Now is the time to get it done.

They're saying he should be getting D'brickashaw Ferguson money (about 10m a year).

well I have stopped listening to the herd as he has been wrong more than right.

But a top ten OLT is indeed in the 8-10 a year guy..

I just do not see him as all that.. He needs to prove to me he is the guy he was in his rookie season..

as for lockout rehabb, I'm not buying that there is little he could not have done out of Dove valley than he could have done there..

his injury is very common place now days.. loads of greta doctors and rehabb places..

and IF he did nto rehabb like he should have without Greek standing over him, do we want a guy without the personal incentive to get it done?

broncosteven
05-23-2012, 02:56 PM

It is not like we are going to be able to do better over the next couple of years if Manning is healthy.

Just look at duh bears woes on the OL and though they really seem to go out of their way NOT to find guys that can play at Clady's level they do not have anyone on their OL who is as good or better than him.

We should be talking about what a great draft pick Clady was because he came in and started at an elite level as a rookie and played well until his injury.

I think he gets it back on track with Manning and will excel having Manning as a leader. I think there will be less confusion in the huddle and everyone will be on the same page.

I say lock him up. It is hard to find talent like Ryan's.

Mogulseeker
05-23-2012, 03:12 PM
well I have stopped listening to the herd as he has been wrong more than right.

But a top ten OLT is indeed in the 8-10 a year guy..

I just do not see him as all that.. He needs to prove to me he is the guy he was in his rookie season..

as for lockout rehabb, I'm not buying that there is little he could not have done out of Dove valley than he could have done there..

his injury is very common place now days.. loads of greta doctors and rehabb places..

and IF he did nto rehabb like he should have without Greek standing over him, do we want a guy without the personal incentive to get it done?

He's on during my afternoon commute home.

lonestar
05-23-2012, 06:46 PM
He's on during my afternoon commute home.

he is on early where I live.. 8ish..

just stopped listening to him as he is like rush always trying to stir the pot..

TonyR
05-24-2012, 12:38 PM
Some good Clady observations. (hat tip to pricejj who posted this in another thread)

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/docs-musings-ryan-cladys-contract

Houshyamama
05-24-2012, 01:58 PM
Some good Clady observations. (hat tip to pricejj who posted this in another thread)

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/docs-musings-ryan-cladys-contract

Came here to post this. GREAT piece.

DENVERDUI55
05-24-2012, 02:31 PM
Who is the IAOFM guy? Does he post here? I sure enjoy his articles.

lonestar
05-24-2012, 10:56 PM
Who is the IAOFM guy? Does he post here? I sure enjoy his articles.

it is a web site that several quite knowledgeable guys post articles at with loads of others commneting on what they have said..

but let me comment it is a place for serious commentary the best in all of Bronco land that I have seen..
Clowns do not need apply..

Bronco Rob
07-18-2012, 08:23 AM
Contract terms block Ryan Clady deal with Broncos

Contract negotiations between the Broncos and all-pro left tackle Ryan Clady have been snagged. The two sides recently exchanged multiyear proposals but the numbers were far enough apart that an NFL source said an extension by the time the Broncos are to report to training camp next Wednesday does not seem likely.

Clady, the Broncos' first-round pick in the 2008 draft, is scheduled to make $3.5 million this season in the final year of his rookie contract.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_21098052/terms-block-clady-deal

BoiseBluTurf
07-18-2012, 09:04 AM
BOOOOOOOIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSEEEEEEE!!!!!

Kaylore
07-18-2012, 09:05 AM
Contract terms block Ryan Clady deal with Broncos

Contract negotiations between the Broncos and all-pro left tackle Ryan Clady have been snagged. The two sides recently exchanged multiyear proposals but the numbers were far enough apart that an NFL source said an extension by the time the Broncos are to report to training camp next Wednesday does not seem likely.

Clady, the Broncos' first-round pick in the 2008 draft, is scheduled to make $3.5 million this season in the final year of his rookie contract.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_21098052/terms-block-clady-deal

I say let him play this season out at 3.5. If he sucks, you can let him walk or offer him a reduced contract. If he plays out of this world, you can tag him or offer him a respectable contract, let him walk and take the compensatory pick.

razorwire77
07-18-2012, 10:03 AM
I say let him play this season out at 3.5. If he sucks, you can let him walk or offer him a reduced contract. If he plays out of this world, you can tag him or offer him a respectable contract, let him walk and take the compensatory pick.

Seems like a reasonable position for them to take. Reading between the lines, I would be willing to bet that contract talks have stalled because Clady wants to get paid on his pre-injury top 3 LT in the league form from a few years ago. If he thrives with Peyton at the helm and regains his status as a top 5 LT, break the bank and sign him to a long term deal. If he struggles in an offense with one of the most cerebral, hardest to sack QB's in the leauge, then he's probably never going to return to an elite level of play.

Beantown Bronco
07-18-2012, 10:22 AM
I personally love it when guys are playing in a contract year. I'd be willing to wager that in the entire history of the NFL, players have had their worst season in a contract year less than 1% of the time; but on the flip side have had their best season of their careers over 75% of the time.

It's hardly a coincidence.

Requiem
07-18-2012, 11:13 AM
Better snag him up. Drafting a LT high shouldn't be a priority next year.

ward63
07-18-2012, 12:28 PM
I would say pay him now while his stock is a little low, but if we let him hit the market, somebody is going to overpay for him (ie-Jeremy Lin) and then we are back to square one. Then what do we do? Draft a new LT? Move Beadles out to tackle and Blake to guard? Harris or Franklin to LT? Peyton made marginal/average linemen look great and I believe that Clady is fourth or fifth in the league. At the bare minimum above average. Give him the extension or face way too many questions for a key position that protects our franchise.

Beantown Bronco
07-18-2012, 12:38 PM
I would say pay him now while his stock is a little low,

They tried. The offers from either side aren't even close enough to pretend like they're going to get something done in the near future. Time to shelve it until Clady comes to his senses.

but if we let him hit the market, somebody is going to overpay for him (ie-Jeremy Lin) and then we are back to square one.

Let them. Better someone else overpay than us.

Peyton made marginal/average linemen look great

Precisely why we shouldn't overpay him.

Give him the extension or face way too many questions for a key position that protects our franchise.

Again, they tried. The team, like most sane folks, are most likely trying to lowball a little because....like you said....his stock is at a low right now. Clady is probably looking for top 5 left tackle money. He clearly isn't worth that today.

Worst case, we franchise him next year. The only way he walks is if he sucks this year and still wants top money. They'll never let him go if he plays like he's capable of playing this season.

oubronco
07-18-2012, 12:43 PM
Pay the man! They made a large investment in PM and they better have a competent LT to protect him

baja
07-18-2012, 12:47 PM
Pay the man! They made a large investment in PM and they better have a competent LT to protect him

They do and best of all he is playing for a contract.

BMarsh615
07-18-2012, 01:12 PM
Lock him up. It will be impossible to get a LT next year anywhere near as good as Clady.

Beantown Bronco
07-18-2012, 01:14 PM
Lock him up. It will be impossible to get a LT next year anywhere near as good as Clady.

franchise tag is your friend

Bacchus
07-18-2012, 01:22 PM

You have Peyton Manning as your QB and you'll let Clady go for a 3rd round compensatory pick?

Clady will be a great player again. He was blocking for Tebow last year. Tebow will make any Olman look bad. If you do not sign him right now. Next year some team will make him the highest paid OLman in NFL history. Pay now or watch him leave later.

Beantown Bronco
07-18-2012, 01:29 PM
If you do not sign him right now. Next year some team will make him the highest paid OLman in NFL history. Pay now or watch him leave later.

For the millionth time, there is such a thing as the franchise tag. Nobody else can even talk to him.

And if some team wants to make him the highest paid OLineman in history after we're done with him, then that can only mean that this year he plays like the best OLineman in history and we reap the benefits. He certainly hasn't even been in the top 5 the last 2+ years, so he's going to have to literally be the best in the league this year to merit that kind of contract.

Bacchus
07-18-2012, 01:50 PM
For the millionth time, there is such a thing as the franchise tag. Nobody else can even talk to him.

And if some team wants to make him the highest paid OLineman in history after we're done with him, then that can only mean that this year he plays like the best OLineman in history and we reap the benefits. He certainly hasn't even been in the top 5 the last 2+ years, so he's going to have to literally be the best in the league this year to merit that kind of contract.

You do understand Clady does not have to sign the franchise tag. Do you understand that? All Clady has to do is not sign the Franchise tag and holdout. How long will the Broncos be able to go into the season with Clady not being there? Do you know who Denver's back up LT is?

Clady is too important to try to Franchise because if he refuses to sign it and holds out Denver is in no position to call his bluff.

If you hadn't noticed The Saints tried to franchise Brees. How did that work out for them? Oh yeah Brees got a $25 million a year contract that is how. If the Saints would have signed him last year to $20 million a year they would have saved a lot of money and a lot of bad PR.

Get Clady in make him the highest paid OT in the NFL and move on!!!! Because if they try to franchise him next year all he has to do is not sign the contract and then hold out and Denver will have to give him everything he wants or go into the season without him.

DeusExManning
07-18-2012, 05:19 PM
You do understand Clady does not have to sign the franchise tag. Do you understand that? All Clady has to do is not sign the Franchise tag and holdout. How long will the Broncos be able to go into the season with Clady not being there? Do you know who Denver's back up LT is?

Clady is too important to try to Franchise because if he refuses to sign it and holds out Denver is in no position to call his bluff.

If you hadn't noticed The Saints tried to franchise Brees. How did that work out for them? Oh yeah Brees got a $25 million a year contract that is how. If the Saints would have signed him last year to $20 million a year they would have saved a lot of money and a lot of bad PR.

Get Clady in make him the highest paid OT in the NFL and move on!!!! Because if they try to franchise him next year all he has to do is not sign the contract and then hold out and Denver will have to give him everything he wants or go into the season without him.

You do understand that if he does not sign the tender he does not go anywhere else and he will not make anything. They all sign eventually.

Broncoman13
07-18-2012, 06:05 PM

Brees' contract is worth $20m per year. He signed a 5 year $100m contract. His has a bonus of $37m and $40m guaranteed this year. Due to prorating his bonus, his cap figure is relatively low this year at around $12m.

Comparing one of the top 2 or 3 players in the entire league with a player that isn't in the top 5 of his position class is stupid. A QB holds a lot more value and can call a team's bluff. A LT, that has never really had a big pay day... not so much. Franchise tags protect teams for players like Ryan Clady, not guys like Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, or Tom Brady.

Either way, I think if he plays well early on he'll probably get a 5 year $40m extension and be happy. He is a middle of the pack LT.

Drunken.Broncoholic
07-18-2012, 06:21 PM
I think a deal will get done. This recent news is just stating that its a ways off before camp starts. Champs deal was held up a bit too. There's still time to negotiate and if he does play up to a high standard they are going to have to bend toward his asking price more. A negative for the broncos but if he plays great he should get paid.

Bacchus
07-18-2012, 11:44 PM
You do understand that if he does not sign the tender he does not go anywhere else and he will not make anything. They all sign eventually.

Did you even read the my post? read it again, dummy.

Bacchus
07-18-2012, 11:50 PM
Brees' contract is worth $20m per year. He signed a 5 year $100m contract. His has a bonus of $37m and $40m guaranteed this year. Due to prorating his bonus, his cap figure is relatively low this year at around $12m.

Comparing one of the top 2 or 3 players in the entire league with a player that isn't in the top 5 of his position class is stupid. A QB holds a lot more value and can call a team's bluff. A LT, that has never really had a big pay day... not so much. Franchise tags protect teams for players like Ryan Clady, not guys like Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, or Tom Brady.

Either way, I think if he plays well early on he'll probably get a 5 year $40m extension and be happy. He is a middle of the pack LT.

Yeah, that was my bad on Brees contract but the theory still holds. If the Broncos try to franchise him and he does not go into camp who will the Broncos have to play left tackle? That is the same thing Brees did. He did not sign his franchise offer and he was not going to show up unless they signed him to a multi-year contract.

The Franchise tag does not work on players that the team absolutley needs to start the season. We are talking about Peyton Manning's blind side and you want to play it cheap with Clady? That is beyond irresponsible.

You thinking Clady is middle of the pack is also a joke. He has been in the league 3 years and made two pro bowls. Obviously just about everyone else disagrees with you on that.

SoCalBronco
07-18-2012, 11:52 PM
I'd offer him something around the range of what the 12th best LT is making. He's had too many seasons of mediocre play to justify a massive extension. One can point to Tebow for a year, but even when he was protecting a pocket passer in Orton before that his play had alot of holes. He simply hasn't been the same since the injury. If he's not interested in making slightly outside of the Top 10 LTs, then we can wait and re-assess the situation in another year to see if his game improves and go from there (revised offer or franchise tag).

Bacchus
07-18-2012, 11:58 PM
I'd offer him something around the range of what the 12th best LT is making. He's had too many seasons of mediocre play to justify a massive extension. One can point to Tebow for a year, but even when he was protecting a pocket passer in Orton before that his play had alot of holes. He simply hasn't been the same since the injury. If he's not interested in making slightly outside of the Top 10 LTs, then we can wait and re-assess the situation in another year to see if his game improves and go from there (revised offer or franchise tag).

"He has had too many seasons of mediocre play"?? Can you define this?

He has been in the league 3 years and made 2 probowls. The only year he did not make the probowl he tore a ligament in his knee in the offseason.

Clady with Manning at QB is going to have a tremendous season and might not even give up ONE sack this year. If you wait until the offseason to try to sign him you are going to have to make him the highest paid LT in NFL history. Denver will not be able to franchise him if they do not have a LT that will be able to step in and play for him when he holds out.

Pay him now and pay him well. Lock him up for the next 6 years.

Stuck in Cali
07-19-2012, 12:49 AM
Good LT's are hard to find, great ons even harder. He is in the middle, closer to the top rather than the bottom. Hope they can get this taken care of.

NorCalBronco7
07-19-2012, 01:29 AM

dude ive read tons of your post, and I can offifcially say, your a ****ing idiot. Hilarious!

Resign the big man, whatever it takes!

NorCalBronco7
07-19-2012, 01:37 AM

12th best, you ****ing serious? tell me your joking. :rofl:

cutthemdown
07-19-2012, 01:59 AM
Good! He hasn't committed any crimes though? Does he fit our roster?

Drek
07-19-2012, 03:58 AM

That is an expected trend given the circumstances however.

1. This time in 2010 we weren't sure if Clady would play that year at all. He ended up playing a large portion of the season.

2. This time last year he, like every other player, could not work with the team. This was particularly negative for Clady because last off-season was when he should have been finally getting himself back to 100% after playing 2010 with zero rehab leading into that season.

3. He's changed OL coaches three times in the last three seasons.

4. He's changed QBs 3 times in the last four years.

He's got a QB change this year as well, but definitely for the better. His OL coach from last year is back however and is a damn good coach. He is now in the middle of his first real off-season of working back from his knee injury.

If Clady would sign a top 5-10 LT deal before the season starts the team should jump on it. The chances he's not a top 10 LT at the end of 2012 are pretty low. The chances we could draft or sign someone for less money who's better are even lower. The chances he would out play that deal and establish himself firmly as a top 5 LT are significantly higher than all of the risks. Therefore the payout of hitting is by far bigger than the loss on missing.

Now if Clady wants a top 5 deal TODAY then you hold off until after the season, sure, but you've got to at least try striking a middle of the road deal with him before FA comes up. Then we'd have to franchise tag him and lose a lot of leverage in what are supposed to be our "go for it" years.

Bob's your Information Minister
07-19-2012, 04:11 AM
Clady's 2011 PFF ratings (out of the top 60 OTs)

50th overall,
31st in pass blocking,
57th in run blocking,
57th in penalties (this is probably the worst part of his season last year)
T-44th in QB hurries allowed (32)
T-27th in sacks allowed (6)

All this on a team that was 32nd in pass attempts.

The good news is he was really awesome in 2010, so hope for a time machine.

Have a great day, guys. :approve:

Ratboy
07-19-2012, 04:22 AM
Clady's 2011 PFF ratings (out of the top 60 OTs)

50th overall,
31st in pass blocking,
57th in run blocking,
57th in penalties (this is probably the worst part of his season last year)
T-44th in QB hurries allowed (32)
T-27th in sacks allowed (6)

All this on a team that was 32nd in pass attempts.

The good news is he was really awesome in 2010, so hope for a time machine.

Have a great day, guys. :approve:

Tebow effect.

Beantown Bronco
07-19-2012, 05:49 AM
"He has had too many seasons of mediocre play"?? Can you define this?

He has been in the league 3 years and made 2 probowls. The only year he did not make the probowl he tore a ligament in his knee in the offseason.

Clady with Manning at QB is going to have a tremendous season and might not even give up ONE sack this year. If you wait until the offseason to try to sign him you are going to have to make him the highest paid LT in NFL history. Denver will not be able to franchise him if they do not have a LT that will be able to step in and play for him when he holds out.

Pay him now and pay him well. Lock him up for the next 6 years.

Enough with the ProBowl crap. It's a popularity contest. Everyone knows that.

Beantown Bronco
07-19-2012, 05:59 AM

Roster turnover is huge in the NFL. We don't know who will be playing anywhere in 2013, right now. Seriously, think about it. Name even 5 guys that are starters as of today and are absolutely going to be playing for us in 2013 at their same positions.

Sure they are.

As was pointed out already, this is a horrible comparison. Arguably the best player in the entire league vs a guy who is currently not even in the top 5 at his much lower paid position (OLineman franchise tag is $9 mil - QBs is $14.5 mil).

Get Clady in make him the highest paid OT in the NFL and move on!!!!

Why would you ever make a guy the highest paid at his position, when no independent authority has him ranked in the top 5? The only time you'd even have an argument was if you had a ton of cap room and if he was the best available FA at that position that several teams had a need for and were bidding over. This would not be the case next year.

Because if they try to franchise him next year all he has to do is not sign the contract and then hold out and Denver will have to give him everything he wants or go into the season without him.

Show me a quote from Clady or his agent that even hints at a holdout being a possibility. Many sign the franchise tag right away and don't hold out. They may b**** about it, but they sign it and report. Holdouts are extremely rare and are usually only done by more seasoned vets who have larger bank accounts that can absorb all that time without pay. You are simply conceding a worst case scenario that is actually VERY unlikely.

ward63
07-19-2012, 08:41 AM
I have to bring his name up again, but when Clady had Cutler, he was top 3, at least top 5. Can anybody question that? In my estimation, Manning > Cutler with everything except arm strength, especially intelligence pre-snap and post-snap. As somebody pointed out, he messed up his knee, didn't have an offseason and has changed qb's/coaches multiple times. When he is with a top 10 qb, he will be back to his top 5 LT form. (sorry Men's Warehouse) I guarantee it!

Beantown Bronco
07-19-2012, 08:51 AM
I have to bring his name up again, but when Clady had Cutler, he was top 3, at least top 5. Can anybody question that? In my estimation, Manning > Cutler with everything except arm strength, especially intelligence pre-snap and post-snap. As somebody pointed out, he messed up his knee, didn't have an offseason and has changed qb's/coaches multiple times. When he is with a top 10 qb, he will be back to his top 5 LT form. (sorry Men's Warehouse) I guarantee it!

Nobody's questioning how good he was in 2008. We're questioning how mediocre at best he was in 2009, 2010 and 2012. There comes a time where you have to stop blaming all these other factors around you and acknowledge that either (1) you just had a great rookie season and never adjusted your game [see exhibit a - Eddie Royal] or (2) the off season injury he suffered after his rookie year permanently ruined him.

Sure there's a possibility his play will bounce back due to having Manning and his quick delivery back there. But there's at least an equal chance he'll never get back to that top 5 2008 form. This year will obviously be telling.

Drek
07-19-2012, 09:17 AM
Nobody's questioning how good he was in 2008. We're questioning how mediocre at best he was in 2009, 2010 and 2012. There comes a time where you have to stop blaming all these other factors around you and acknowledge that either (1) you just had a great rookie season and never adjusted your game [see exhibit a - Eddie Royal] or (2) the off season injury he suffered after his rookie year permanently ruined him.

Sure there's a possibility his play will bounce back due to having Manning and his quick delivery back there. But there's at least an equal chance he'll never get back to that top 5 2008 form. This year will obviously be telling.

Clady was an elite LT in 2009 too, don't know where you're getting the opinion that '09 was "mediocre at best".

He hasn't been the same player since he blew his knee apart. Maybe it has permanently taken away his ability to be an elite player, or maybe he's just never been given a real chance to get back to 100% due to the timing of the injury in 2010 and the abbreviated off-season in 2011. In both years he saw his OL coach change.

Again, him returning to top 5 form is a toss up, but its far more likely than us finding a better replacement on the FA market or in the draft. If he wants top 5 money we can give him that next off-season after we tag him, no harm done. If he's willing to take next tier down, 5-10, money then that is a deal the organization should sign as he's a strong bet to be a top 5-10 LT next season with a very possible payout of him returning to top 5 form and being dominant.

24champ
07-19-2012, 09:23 AM
Bowlen is broke?

Beantown Bronco
07-19-2012, 09:37 AM
Clady was an elite LT in 2009 too, don't know where you're getting the opinion that '09 was "mediocre at best".

Clearly, you're right. I blew that one, messing up my years. That does go against the "lesser QBs than Cutler were what made him look bad" argument that Bacchus or somebody was mentioning earlier.....since 2009 was largely behind Mr Immobile himself.

BroncoBen
07-19-2012, 10:49 AM

Yes, but would Clady be willing to not sign the Franchise tag, holdout, and not get paid. I believe the Franchise would be around $9 million.

I say let him play the season, and if he plays at a high level, then give him a long term contract. Otherwise Franchise him, maybe some team will come in and make a play for him and the Broncos get draft picks.

Bacchus
07-19-2012, 11:34 AM

I agree, pay him a lot now. Or pay him more next year or risk losing your franchise LT that protects Peyton Manning.

Do not try to go cheap with the health of Peyton Manning.

07-19-2012, 03:09 PM
Tebow effect.

PFF compensates for the Tebow effect.

In fact, Tebow was credited with several sacks last year that normal observes would assign to the OL.

And Clady was even worse in the rankings than Orlando Franklin.

baja
07-19-2012, 03:12 PM
But you'd take him right.

07-19-2012, 03:13 PM
Man, Tebow was credited with 8 sacks, 6 hits and 9 hurries.

That's terribad.

07-19-2012, 03:14 PM
But you'd take him right.

No, we have two upper echelon OTs.

DBroncos4life
07-19-2012, 06:25 PM

Hilarious!

Bacchus
07-19-2012, 06:28 PM

What two OTs did you sign in the last week? I had not heard KC signed anyone new.

Drek
07-20-2012, 03:29 AM
Clearly, you're right. I blew that one, messing up my years. That does go against the "lesser QBs than Cutler were what made him look bad" argument that Bacchus or somebody was mentioning earlier.....since 2009 was largely behind Mr Immobile himself.

Exactly. The turning point in Clady's career is his knee injury. I'm sure the OL turnover in that time didn't help any either, but it's obvious his single biggest problem was the knee injury and his inability to get back to 100% the last two seasons.

Now maybe this is his new baseline and he'll never get back to 100%, but we can't really assume that since he rushed back in '10 and then didn't even get a real off-season of conditioning to properly rehab the knee in '11.

If the organization thinks he's worth extending it's because they think the knee will finally be 100% again this season and that will allow him to re-establish himself as a top 5 LT. This is very possible.

So if that is likely to happen then the goal should be to get him on a more reasonable contract sooner, before his value skyrockets.

baja
07-20-2012, 09:17 AM
I'm willing to bet that Clady plays at a top 5 level this season. Any takers?

Mogulseeker
07-20-2012, 09:48 AM
Tebow effect.

Seriously. I think it's going to be a whole different story with Manning.

Drek
07-20-2012, 09:55 AM
I'm willing to bet that Clady plays at a top 5 level this season. Any takers?

Probably not within the Broncos FO, hence why they want to re-up him now before he runs the price up.

Beantown Bronco
07-20-2012, 10:20 AM
Probably not within the Broncos FO, hence why they want to re-up him now before he runs the price up.

I don't think that that is their primary motivation. It's normal to extend key guys with a year to go on their contracts. I think they'd be doing the same thing now regardless of where exactly his stock was based off of his performance last year. The numbers might change a little, but they'd still be trying to extend him now as opposed to at the end of the season when they either have to rush to sign him or franchise him.

07-20-2012, 12:31 PM
Hilarious!

Laugh all you want. Albert was the #8 pass blocker. Winston was #11.

DENVERDUI55
07-20-2012, 12:59 PM
Laugh all you want. Albert was the #8 pass blocker. Winston was #11.

Bob arguing with stats and PFF. Clady sucked last year but mainly due to qb. What would you bet that the rankings are much better this year? Wait you don't pay up nevermind.

Bronco Rob
07-25-2012, 11:32 PM
Broncos, Ryan Clady continue to negotiate possible contract extension

The $10 million annual average would tie Clady with D'Brickashaw Ferguson and Trent Williams for the league's fourth highest-paid offensive tackle. According to the NFL Players Association, the top-paid tackles, by average annual value: Jason Peters ($12.8 million), Joe Thomas ($11.5 million), Jake Long ($10.6 million), Ferguson and Williams ($10 million).

There is no deadline to reach agreement on an extension, but considering there is injury risk anytime a player steps on the field, there was incentive for Clady to get his new deal done by this morning.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_21159959/broncos-ryan-clady-continue-negotiate-possible-contract-extension

lonestar
07-26-2012, 10:00 AM
Broncos, Ryan Clady continue to negotiate possible contract extension

The $10 million annual average would tie Clady with D'Brickashaw Ferguson and Trent Williams for the league's fourth highest-paid offensive tackle. According to the NFL Players Association, the top-paid tackles, by average annual value: Jason Peters ($12.8 million), Joe Thomas ($11.5 million), Jake Long ($10.6 million), Ferguson and Williams ($10 million).

There is no deadline to reach agreement on an extension, but considering there is injury risk anytime a player steps on the field, there was incentive for Clady to get his new deal done by this morning.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_21159959/broncos-ryan-clady-continue-negotiate-possible-contract-extension

if he does reinjure the knee he can kiss thst $28,000,000.00 goodbye.. IMO he is a moron..

Bronco Rob
07-30-2012, 06:28 PM
The Broncos and left tackle Ryan Clady mutually decided Monday to end contract negotiations until after the 2012 season.

Clady will make $3.5 million in this, the final year of the five-year contract he signed as a rookie in 2008. The Broncos latest known offer to Clady was for five years and $50 million with $28 million in guarantees.

The team's proposal would have tied Clady with the New York Jets' D'Brickashaw Ferguson for the third highest-paid, veteran offensive tackle.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_21193915?utm_medium=facebook

lonestar
07-30-2012, 07:51 PM
The Broncos and left tackle Ryan Clady mutually decided Monday to end contract negotiations until after the 2012 season.

Clady will make $3.5 million in this, the final year of the five-year contract he signed as a rookie in 2008. The Broncos latest known offer to Clady was for five years and $50 million with $28 million in guarantees.

The team's proposal would have tied Clady with the New York Jets' D'Brickashaw Ferguson for the third highest-paid, veteran offensive tackle.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_21193915?utm_medium=facebook

he looks like our franchise guy next year while we draft his replacement.. and save 45 million..

Bronco Rob
11-02-2012, 05:09 PM
Ryan Clady playing at a high level, with a medium-sized contract

Broncos left tackle Ryan Clady assumed — and continues to assume — a huge financial risk when he didn’t take the team’s five-year, $50 million contract offer this summer.

But entering a contract year, and playing perhaps the best football of his career, Clady isn’t getting any cheaper, and that presents a risk for the Broncos as well.

According to Mike Klis of the Denver Post, Clady’s one of two left tackles in the league yet to allow a sack this season (along with Houston’s Duane Brown). And when the blind side he’s protecting belongs to a guy coming off neck surgeries and a year out of football, that protection is invaluable.

So at a time when top tackles are making eight figures on average, Clady’s making the final $3.5 million of his rookie contract.

“I wouldn’t say disappointed, but I definitely wanted to get it done before training camp started,” Clady said of a new contract. “And it didn’t, but I just went out and played. This is my fifth year in the league; I understand it’s a business.

“My job is to go out and play my best every down, every year.”

The Broncos could always use the franchise tag on him the next two years, but they can realize a cap savings by doing a longer deal, and keep an important player happier as well.

While Jason Peters of the Eagles, Joe Thomas of the Browns and Jake Long of the Dolphins all top the $10 million per year average, none of their quarterbacks are in Manning’s class, or in his relative state of mobility.

But Clady insists the lack of a deal isn’t a problem for him this year, to which the Broncos can only breathe a sigh of relief.

“Even if I had been paid, I would have tried to prove I was worth the contract,” Clady said. “There’s always motivation to play hard.”

That’s good news for Manning and the Broncos on several fronts

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/02/ryan-clady-playing-at-a-high-level-with-a-medium-sized-contract/

baja
11-02-2012, 05:16 PM
What does Joe Thomas make? That is the deal Clady wanted.

Whatever it is, in hindsight, the Broncos should have paid it as I advised. ;D

Lestat
11-02-2012, 05:45 PM

7 years, 84 mil, 44 mil guaranteed.
the guaranteed money was the hold up last time during talks.

bap454
11-02-2012, 05:46 PM

Sound more of a moron today rather than a couple of months ago. Lol

theAPAOps5
11-02-2012, 05:49 PM
He is going to get paid. Manning himself will make sure that happens. There was a risk for both sides to cut off talks but it also lets them focus on season. It clearly is working as they are having success. Good for Clady to regain his pre injury level of play.

Would it be safe to say that Clady is by far the best player Shanny ever drafted?

Beantown Bronco
11-02-2012, 05:50 PM

I think the Broncos will still be ahead when all is said and done. Even if he signs the same deal as Thomas or slightly more, we are essentially getting a free year here. $3.5 mil for an entire year of elite LT play? When are they EVER going to have that chance again?

Lestat
11-02-2012, 05:59 PM
He is going to get paid. Manning himself will make sure that happens. There was a risk for both sides to cut off talks but it also lets them focus on season. It clearly is working as they are having success. Good for Clady to regain his pre injury level of play.

Would it be safe to say that Clady is by far the best player Shanny ever drafted?

TD was the best, after him Portis because we were able to flip him for Bailey +, then Clady.

Vegas_Bronco
11-02-2012, 06:01 PM
I feel like the Patriots all the sudden because we have a decent quarterback everyone is going to demand part of the reward$.

theAPAOps5
11-02-2012, 06:08 PM
TD was the best, after him Portis because we were able to flip him for Bailey +, then Clady.

Doh forgot about TD being a draft pick of Shanny. But I don't know if he is the best draft pick. He was such a late draft pick it was more just a fill the roster type spot, one that became a special player.

Lestat
11-02-2012, 06:11 PM
Doh forgot about TD being a draft pick of Shanny. But I don't know if he is the best draft pick. He was such a late draft pick it was more just a fill the roster type spot, one that became a special player.

but it was still a pick that developed. that can't be said about many Shanny draft picks. his whiff rate was awful.

theAPAOps5
11-02-2012, 06:22 PM
but it was still a pick that developed. that can't be said about many Shanny draft picks. his whiff rate was awful.

Fair enough and I don't disagree but maybe I should rephrase to best high draft pick

baja
11-02-2012, 06:31 PM
7 years, 84 mil, 44 mil guaranteed.
the guaranteed money was the hold up last time during talks.

That is understandable given Clady's injury and under performing 2 seasons post his serious injury.

44 million guaranteed seems a ridiculous commitment in the highly unpredictable sport of professional football.

baja
11-02-2012, 06:34 PM
I think the Broncos will still be ahead when all is said and done. Even if he signs the same deal as Thomas or slightly more, we are essentially getting a free year here. $3.5 mil for an entire year of elite LT play? When are they EVER going to have that chance again?

Excellent point, so strong that it makes me change my opinion. ;D

Hey Beantown how about a couple of good movie recommendations that are likely on NetFlix or Amazon.

Lestat
11-02-2012, 06:46 PM
Fair enough and I don't disagree but maybe I should rephrase to best high draft pick

Clady,Wilson and then Cutler in that case.
i'm giving Clady the edge due to the fact that he protects the most precious item on the team and has been solid even in his worst years.

baja
11-02-2012, 06:48 PM
Clady,Wilson and then Cutler in that case.
i'm giving Clady the edge due to the fact that he protects the most precious item on the team and has been solid even in his worst years.

Don't forget Foster and lelie

"we could'a had Reed" ;D

Vegas_Bronco
11-02-2012, 06:52 PM
That is understandable given Clady's injury and under performing 2 seasons post his serious injury.

44 million guaranteed seems a ridiculous commitment in the highly unpredictable sport of professional football.

I'm starting to believe money is overrated...he should play for the love of the game.

baja
11-02-2012, 06:55 PM
I'm starting to believe money is overrated...he should play for the love of the game.

Key word here is 'guaranteed'

Buy some insurance...

JPPT1974
11-02-2012, 06:55 PM
That money is overrated. Look at Peyton as he plays for the love of the game indeed!

lonestar
11-02-2012, 09:31 PM

considering he lead the league in holding penalties ACCEPTED last year and he was playing like crap for part of the year..
sure we should have made him the highest paid OL guy in the league..

In case you did not get the memo OLT are not the uber hot item they were the past decade..

with the advent of the shotgun, 3 step drops and getting the ball out fast they are not needed like they were when 5-7 step drops were in vogue..

Now I have no issue with him getting bigger money than he made this year.. but 10+ a year is more than I would pay.. and certainly not give 40+million in guaranteed money..

I would draft his replacement this year franchise him this coming year and the next one if the newbie was not far enough along..

and still save a gazillion in guaranteed money..

baja
11-02-2012, 09:49 PM
considering he lead the league in holding penalties ACCEPTED last year and he was playing like crap for part of the year..
sure we should have made him the highest paid OL guy in the league..

In case you did not get the memo OLT are not the uber hot item they were the past decade..

with the advent of the shotgun, 3 step drops and getting the ball out fast they are not needed like they were when 5-7 step drops were in vogue..

Now I have no issue with him getting bigger money than he made this year.. but 10+ a year is more than I would pay.. and certainly not give 40+million in guaranteed money..

I would draft his replacement this year franchise him this coming year and the next one if the newbie was not far enough along..

and still save a gazillion in guaranteed money..

Bet you a 100 he gets gets Joe Thomas money. You in?

lonestar
11-02-2012, 10:04 PM
Bet you a 100 he gets gets Joe Thomas money. You in?

NO thanks, I do not bet money on anything I do not already know the answer to or if I am not in total control of the situation..

I earned my money the hard way..

baja
11-02-2012, 10:07 PM
NO thanks, I do not bet money on anything I do not already know the answer to or if I am not in total control of the situation..

Oh!

DBroncos4life
11-02-2012, 10:07 PM
Lol at the idea of just "replacing" a elite LT like that. Ha! Anyone that still thinks Clady was the issue last year shouldn't be allowed to post anymore.

baja
11-02-2012, 10:09 PM
Lol at the idea of just "replacing" a elite LT like that. Ha! Anyone that still thinks Clady was the issue last year shouldn't be allowed to post anymore.

No kidding. It's not like we had a running back playing QB last season or anything. ;D

lonestar
11-02-2012, 10:36 PM

oh so your the judge thanks for letting us all know..

Most teams do not have an elite OLT anymore at least the ones with good to great QB's.

just who does Joe Thomas play for? who is his QB?

They falt are not as big a deal as they were in mikeys time frame..

Not saying we should get some schmuck to cover it just that we do not need a 100MILLION dollar guy to do it..

wolf754life
11-02-2012, 10:48 PM

This is funny, So Cal slobbers all over DJ Williams Knob, but be careful with our top 3 in the nfl left tackle!

comedy.

Lestat
11-02-2012, 11:44 PM
Don't forget Foster and lelie

"we could'a had Reed" ;D

it was foolishness then, it's even more foolishness now. Ha!

though Lelie was starting to develop into a nice WR until he went into full on diva with PMS and a stick shoved up his prissy little rear end mode.
but the main thing that pisses me off about the Foster draft.
we took that worthless **** in the same draft as the most useless draft pick of all time. Terry Pierce. failing that epically in the top two rounds is damn near impossible and yet somehow we managed to do it.

DENVERDUI55
11-03-2012, 12:47 AM

:welcome:

Bacchus
11-03-2012, 02:57 AM
You have Peyton Manning as your QB and you'll let Clady go for a 3rd round compensatory pick?

Clady will be a great player again. He was blocking for Tebow last year. Tebow will make any Olman look bad. If you do not sign him right now. Next year some team will make him the highest paid OLman in NFL history. Pay now or watch him leave later.

:wave::welcome:

Jesterhole
11-03-2012, 10:53 AM

Sucking off dudes? There are easier ways friend...

lonestar
11-03-2012, 01:43 PM
Sucking off ? There are easier ways friend...

I for one made my money by legit long hours and working for 3 major corporations.. and investing well..

You must be one of the 47% folks, who if they have nothing intelligent to say just attack others....

lonestar
11-03-2012, 01:59 PM

of the later years draft yes..

prior to that. Pryce, Wilson,Neil, TD, after about the year 2ooo not much to cheer about..

lonestar
11-03-2012, 02:07 PM
it was foolishness then, it's even more foolishness now. Ha!

though Lelie was starting to develop into a nice WR until he went into full on diva with PMS and a stick shoved up his prissy little rear end mode.
but the main thing that pisses me off about the Foster draft.
we took that worthless **** in the same draft as the most useless draft pick of all time. Terry Pierce. failing that epically in the top two rounds is damn near impossible and yet somehow we managed to do it.

ashely a great WR ahahahahahaha made some awesome catches but almost always out of bounds or in the end zone.. regular over the middle catches where he could be tackled or hit the dude had alligator arms..

he was a world beater in college, but he never played against a DB that was worth a crap in the WAC.. once he got into the pros all of sudden these guys were as good/fast as he was and it hurt when he got tackled..

I suspect he was living up to his name ashely..

might be decent in todays NFL where the WR can't be touched but back then not so much..

you are correct about foster and TP, infact that whole draft stunk

1 20 George Foster T Georgia
2 51 Terry Pierce LB Kansas State
4 108 Quentin Griffin RB Oklahoma
4 114 Nick Eason DT Clemson
4 128 Bryant McNeal DE Clemson
5 157 Ben Claxton C Mississippi
5 158 Adrian Madise WR Texas Christian
6 194 Aaron Hunt -- Texas Tech
7 227 Clint Mitchell DE Florida
7 235 Ahmaad Galloway RB Alabama

the only notable player in there was Q albeit a very short, pardon the pun career.. not sure anyone there ever played a meaning full down in regular season for us..

baja
11-03-2012, 02:11 PM
ashely a great WR ahahahahahaha made some awesome catches but almost always out of bounds or in the end zone.. regular over the middle catches where he could be tackled or hit the dude had alligator arms..

he was a world beater in college, but he never played against a DB that was worth a crap in the WAC.. once he got into the pros all of sudden these guys were as good/fast as he was and it hurt when he got tackled..

I suspect he was living up to his name ashely..

might be decent in todays NFL where the WR can't be touched but back then not so much..

you are correct about foster and TP, infact that whole draft stunk

the only notable player in there was Q albeit a very short, pardon the pun career.. not sure anyone there ever played a meaning full down in regular season for us..

Oh my God what a list of fail. No wonder we sucked Shannys last three years here.

lonestar
11-03-2012, 02:28 PM
Oh my God what a list of fail. No wonder we sucked Shannys last three years here.

go look at how bad we were after wilson was drafted..

1999 - Denver Broncos
RD SEL # PLAYER POSITION SCHOOL
1 31 Al Wilson MLB Tennessee
2 58 Montae Reagor DE Texas Tech
2 61 Lennie Friedman C Duke
3 67 Chris Watson CB Eastern Illinois
3 93 Travis McGriff WR Florida
4 127 Olandis Gary RB Georgia
5 158 David Bowens LB Western Illinois
5 167 Darwin Brown DB Texas Tech
6 179 Desmond Clark TE Wake Forest
6 204 Chad Plummer WR Cincinnati
7 218 Billy Miller WR USC
7 238 Justin Swift TE Kansas State

2000 - Denver Broncos
1 15 Deltha O'Neal CB California
2 40 Ian Gold LB Michigan
2 45 Kenoy Kennedy SAF Arkansas
3 70 Chris Cole WR Texas A&M
4 101 Jerry Johnson DT Florida State
4 112 Cooper Carlisle G Florida
5 154 Muneer Moore WR Richmond
6 189 Mike Anderson RB Utah
7 214 Jarious Jackson QB Notre Dame
7 246 Leroy Fields -- Jackson State

2001 - Denver Broncos
1 24 Willie Middlebrooks CB Minnesota
2 51 Paul Toviessi DE Marshall
3 87 Reggie Hayward DE Iowa State
4 113 Ben Hamilton C Minnesota
4 120 Nick Harris P California
6 190 Kevin Kasper WR Iowa

2002 - Denver Broncos
1 19 Ashley Lelie WR Hawaii
2 51 Clinton Portis RB Miami (Fla.)
3 96 Dorsett Davis DT Mississippi State
4 131 Sam Brandon DB Nevada-Las Vegas
5 144 Herb Haygood WR Michigan State
6 191 Jeb Putzier TE Boise State
7 228 Chris Young DB Georgia Tech
7 231 Monsanto Pope DT Virginia

2003 - Denver Broncos

2004 - Denver Broncos
1 17 D.J. Williams OLB Miami (Fla.)
2 41 Tatum Bell RB Oklahoma State
2 54 Darius Watts WR Marshall
3 85 Jeremy LeSueur CB Michigan
5 152 Jeff Shoate CB San Diego State
6 171 Triandos Luke WR Alabama
6 190 Josh Sewell -- Nebraska
7 225 Matt Mauck QB Louisiana State
7 247 Brandon Miree RB Pittsburgh
7 250 Bradlee Van Pelt QB Colorado State

2005 - Denver Broncos
2 56 Darrent Williams CB Oklahoma State
3 76 Karl Paymah DB Washington State
3 97 Domonique Foxworth CB Maryland
3 101 Maurice Clarett -- Ohio State
6 200 Chris Myers G Miami (Fla.)
7 239 Paul Ernster K Northern Arizona

2006 - Denver Broncos
1 11 Jay Cutler QB Vanderbilt
2 61 Tony Scheffler TE Western Michigan
4 119 Brandon Marshall WR Central Florida
4 126 Elvis Dumervil DE Louisville
4 130 Domenik Hixon WR Akron
5 161 Chris Kuper G North Dakota
6 198 Greg Eslinger C Minnesota

LAST BUT not LEAST

2007 - Denver Broncos
1 17 Jarvis Moss DE Florida
2 56 Tim Crowder DE Texas
3 70 Ryan Harris OT Notre Dame
4 121 Marcus Thomas DT Florida

2008 - Denver Broncos
1 12 Ryan Clady T Boise State
2 42 Eddie Royal WR Virginia Tech
4 108 Kory Lichtensteiger C Bowling Green State
4 119 Jack Williams CB Kent State
5 139 Ryan Torain RB Arizona State
5 148 Carlton Powell DT Virginia Tech
6 183 Spencer Larsen FB Arizona
7 220 Josh Barrett DB Arizona State
7 227 Peyton Hillis RB Arkansas

really folks how many real keepers on that list of fail..

baja
11-03-2012, 02:32 PM
That is painful to read

Bronco Rob
11-06-2012, 09:31 PM
Pete Prisco's midseason NFL All-Pro team

LT -- Ryan Clady, Broncos: He is doing a great job protecting Peyton Manning's blind side. Gets an edge over Houston's Duane Brown.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/pete-prisco/20855054/pete-priscos-midseason-nfl-allpro-team

SleepingTiger
11-07-2012, 07:42 AM
go look at how bad we were after wilson was drafted..

1999 - Denver Broncos
1 31 Al Wilson MLB Tennessee
2 58 Montae Reagor DE Texas Tech
2 61 Lennie Friedman C Duke
3 67 Chris Watson CB Eastern Illinois
3 93 Travis McGriff WR Florida
4 127 Olandis Gary RB Georgia
5 158 David Bowens LB Western Illinois
5 167 Darwin Brown DB Texas Tech
6 179 Desmond Clark TE Wake Forest
6 204 Chad Plummer WR Cincinnati
7 218 Billy Miller WR USC
7 238 Justin Swift TE Kansas State

2000 - Denver Broncos
1 15 Deltha O'Neal CB California
2 40 Ian Gold LB Michigan
2 45 Kenoy Kennedy SAF Arkansas
3 70 Chris Cole WR Texas A&M
4 101 Jerry Johnson DT Florida State
4 112 Cooper Carlisle G Florida
5 154 Muneer Moore WR Richmond
6 189 Mike Anderson RB Utah
7 214 Jarious Jackson QB Notre Dame
7 246 Leroy Fields -- Jackson State

2001 - Denver Broncos
1 24 Willie Middlebrooks CB Minnesota
2 51 Paul Toviessi DE Marshall
3 87 Reggie Hayward DE Iowa State
4 113 Ben Hamilton C Minnesota
4 120 Nick Harris P California
6 190 Kevin Kasper WR Iowa

2002 - Denver Broncos
1 19 Ashley Lelie WR Hawaii
2 51 Clinton Portis RB Miami (Fla.)
3 96 Dorsett Davis DT Mississippi State
4 131 Sam Brandon DB Nevada-Las Vegas
5 144 Herb Haygood WR Michigan State
6 191 Jeb Putzier TE Boise State
7 228 Chris Young DB Georgia Tech
7 231 Monsanto Pope DT Virginia

2003 - Denver Broncos

2004 - Denver Broncos
1 17 D.J. Williams OLB Miami (Fla.)
2 41 Tatum Bell RB Oklahoma State
2 54 Darius Watts WR Marshall
3 85 Jeremy LeSueur CB Michigan
5 152 Jeff Shoate CB San Diego State
6 171 Triandos Luke WR Alabama
6 190 Josh Sewell -- Nebraska
7 225 Matt Mauck QB Louisiana State
7 247 Brandon Miree RB Pittsburgh
7 250 Bradlee Van Pelt QB Colorado State

2005 - Denver Broncos
2 56 Darrent Williams CB Oklahoma State
3 76 Karl Paymah DB Washington State
3 97 Domonique Foxworth CB Maryland
3 101 Maurice Clarett -- Ohio State
6 200 Chris Myers G Miami (Fla.)
7 239 Paul Ernster K Northern Arizona

2006 - Denver Broncos
1 11 Jay Cutler QB Vanderbilt
2 61 Tony Scheffler TE Western Michigan
4 119 Brandon Marshall WR Central Florida
4 126 Elvis Dumervil DE Louisville
4 130 Domenik Hixon WR Akron
5 161 Chris Kuper G North Dakota
6 198 Greg Eslinger C Minnesota

LAST BUT not LEAST

2007 - Denver Broncos
1 17 Jarvis Moss DE Florida
2 56 Tim Crowder DE Texas
3 70 Ryan Harris OT Notre Dame
4 121 Marcus Thomas DT Florida

2008 - Denver Broncos
1 12 Ryan Clady T Boise State
2 42 Eddie Royal WR Virginia Tech
4 108 Kory Lichtensteiger C Bowling Green State
4 119 Jack Williams CB Kent State
5 139 Ryan Torain RB Arizona State
5 148 Carlton Powell DT Virginia Tech
6 183 Spencer Larsen FB Arizona
7 220 Josh Barrett DB Arizona State
7 227 Peyton Hillis RB Arkansas

really folks how many real keepers on that list of fail..

c'mon, 2006 and 2008 drafts were awesome. Whatever happened with Lichtensteiger anyways?

baja
11-07-2012, 07:59 AM
The 2006 draft has to one of the best in Broncos history but 2008???

SleepingTiger
11-07-2012, 08:43 AM
any draft that you can pick up an all-pro and possibly an all decade/HOF player that wasnt a top ten pick, i say you have a very good draft. Besides, Royal is a good player, and Hillis made the Madden cover.

I think Royal would of blossomed had Shanny stayed with Denver. He made Deangelo Hall look foolish against the Raiders. He ran some incredible routes that game.

SonOfLe-loLang
11-07-2012, 08:57 AM
c'mon, 2006 and 2008 drafts were awesome. Whatever happened with Lichtensteiger anyways?

Plays for the skins, i believe

Beantown Bronco
11-07-2012, 08:59 AM
I think Royal would of blossomed had Shanny stayed with Denver. He made Deangelo Hall look foolish against the Raiders. He ran some incredible routes that game.

It was essentially all downhill after that game. Seriously, he peaked around week 10 of that year and has done next to nothing since.....aside from some special teams highlights. He was going to crap before Shanny left.

And McD managed to get career years out of every other Bronco WR when he was here (his only real positive when you think about it), so that doesn't exactly work in Royal's favor either.

baja
11-07-2012, 09:03 AM
It was essentially all downhill after that game. Seriously, he peaked around week 10 of that year and has done next to nothing since.....aside from some special teams highlights. He was going to crap before Shanny left.

And McD managed to get career years out of every other Bronco WR when he was here (his only real positive when you think about it), so that doesn't exactly work in Royal's favor either.

He hasn't been much help to SD either.

SleepingTiger
11-07-2012, 09:10 AM
I don't get it. Did Royal regress or did CB just found a way to cover him? or both. They guy doesn't seem to be the type that is lazy and doesn't work.

Inkana7
11-07-2012, 09:27 AM
Starting LG for the Redskins, I think.

Willynowei
11-07-2012, 09:40 AM
The 2006 draft has to one of the best in Broncos history but 2008???

Before Clady got hurt he was by far the best pass blocker in the NFL when on a Sack/per play basis. I saw the dude turn premier rushers like Mario Williams in his prime into paddy cake playing dummies.

Eddie Royal? If they kept the same offense and shanny never got fired, Royal probably would've had spectacular years being thrown at by Cutler. Conversely, if Royal was kept around after Manning arrived, he'd be putting up great numbers as well.

Peyton hilllis was an excellent pickup, baller that also got hurt, unfortunately.

We had excellent drafts in Shanny's last 3 years here.

Willynowei
11-07-2012, 09:43 AM

Not every receiver is meant to be run around on crossing routes getting 2 yard gains at a time.

Royal had excellent man beating skills, he would be incredible if he played for Manning's offense today.

Beantown Bronco
11-07-2012, 09:53 AM
Not every receiver is meant to be run around on crossing routes getting 2 yard gains at a time.

Royal had excellent man beating skills, he would be incredible if he played for Manning's offense today.

Maybe, maybe not. That's a different argument than the one I was responding to above, which specifically talked about Shanny and Cutler staying. He was regressing long before Shanny and Cutler left, so I just don't see how he'd be lighting up the league if they were both still here.

DBs figured him out halfway through his rookie year. He never made the necessary adjustments to what they were doing to him from then on. didn't matter if it was Cutler or Orton throwing the ball and Shanny or McD calling the plays. He played in some very WR-friendly offenses, was the only one who seemed to struggle and never made the necessary adjustments. That's just how I see it.

Kaylore
11-07-2012, 10:14 AM

:spit: Really? Jarvis Moss, Tim Crowder, Ryan Harris and Marcus Thomas were "excellent"

That was one of the worst drafts in Broncos recent history, especially when you consider Shanny traded up twice.

And his last draft, outside of Clady, was a failure. If the front office really thought Royal was worth something they would have kept him. He isn't. That leaves Hillis. Definitely a value pick, even if he doesn't do anything ever again, still more of a return for what you get on a 7th round pick. However every other pick is completely out of football.

2006: A+
2007: F+
2008: C-

Those aren't "excellent"

SleepingTiger
11-07-2012, 12:25 PM
:spit: Really? Jarvis Moss, Tim Crowder, Ryan Harris and Marcus Thomas were "excellent"

That was one of the worst drafts in Broncos recent history, especially when you consider Shanny traded up twice.

And his last draft, outside of Clady, was a failure. If the front office really thought Royal was worth something they would have kept him. He isn't. That leaves Hillis. Definitely a value pick, even if he doesn't do anything ever again, still more of a return for what you get on a 7th round pick. However every other pick is completely out of football.

2006: A+
2007: F+
2008: C-

Those aren't "excellent"

c'mon, Ryan Harris pick wasn't bad. The guy was a stud at RT only to see him have injury woes. You can't say it was a bad draft pick because the guy was a probowl player then dropped off because of injury. Marcus Thomas was a 4th rounder that stayed on the team for 5 seasons. I admit Moss and Crowder were bad picks. F+ is going to far. D+ is better. Anyways, outside the top 10 picks, that was a bad draft class with the exception of Staley and Beason.

2008, if they had a redraft knowing what they know today, Matt Ryan would be the 1st and Clady being the second. That by itself raised the Grade to B. Not only that, all the players in that draft are still in the NFL except for Jack Williams. I say B+

Bacchus
11-07-2012, 10:36 PM
c'mon, Ryan Harris pick wasn't bad. The guy was a stud at RT only to see him have injury woes. You can't say it was a bad draft pick because the guy was a probowl player then dropped off because of injury. Marcus Thomas was a 4th rounder that stayed on the team for 5 seasons. I admit Moss and Crowder were bad picks. F+ is going to far. D+ is better. Anyways, outside the top 10 picks, that was a bad draft class with the exception of Staley and Beason.

2008, if they had a redraft knowing what they know today, Matt Ryan would be the 1st and Clady being the second. That by itself raised the Grade to B. Not only that, all the players in that draft are still in the NFL except for Jack Williams. I say B+

I could never figure out Crowder. He had five sacks his rookie year and looked really good. I remember he scored a TD against Pittsburgh. And then he was just cut and went to Tampa Bay. There must have been a story behind that.

baja
11-07-2012, 10:46 PM
Before Clady got hurt he was by far the best pass blocker in the NFL when on a Sack/per play basis. I saw the dude turn premier rushers like Mario Williams in his prime into paddy cake playing dummies.

He was the 12 pick of the draft you expect him to be a stud LT

Eddie Royal? If they kept the same offense and shanny never got fired, Royal probably would've had spectacular years being thrown at by Cutler. Conversely, if Royal was kept around after Manning arrived, he'd be putting up great numbers as well.

If, If, If There was nothing special about Royal except he had a great rookie season then nothing

Peyton hilllis was an excellent pickup, baller that also got hurt, unfortunately.

Hillis had what, 6 good game and then stupid set in.

This was not a great draft.

In Bold

lonestar
11-08-2012, 01:51 AM

the 2006 DAFT class was full of head cases..

cutler until this year when he has to act like a human because of his girlfriend has been an ahole to his team mates, media and fans.. BTW his 84.6 QBR has pretty much been constant from day one.. 94 picks to 129 TDs not a good ratio at all..

BM the only guy in the NFL that had his own Permanent visitor pass for the NFL offices.. got kicked off of two different teams because he was a diva and his team mates wanted nothing to do with him..

TS a guy that has started 38 games in his 104 game career.. a lousy blocker and a whooping 21 TDs in those 104 games.

Doom now here is a player still not playing the run as well as he could be... Not worth the money he is making but still one of our best.. but as a 4th rounder he was not thought highly of by 32 other teams a total surprise for them all..

Hixon looking to be a good player for the Giants.. to bad someone in Broncos FO was stupid enough to allow him to leave. Not like we were overloaded with talent there..

Kuper another good choice but then in the 5th round a good find

SO we really got two players out of the 7 that were worth keeping..
IMO not close to being a GREAT draft, for that matter not even a good one.. good draft.. one full time starter ORG and a part time DE who is substituted out on running plays..

But I'm sure those that have been sucking on cutlets sac for year will disagree..

as for 2008 one starter out of nine picks.. not great either..

lonestar
11-08-2012, 01:55 AM

Yep Harris was a stud being rag dolled by good or better DE in pass rushes..
that guy that started but not always finished in the 42% of the games he could have played in in his career..

they knew he had back problems before he was drafted.. stupid Pick IMO.. as for the others.. ahahahahahahahaha

Beantown Bronco
11-08-2012, 06:16 AM
I could never figure out Crowder. He had five sacks his rookie year and looked really good. I remember he scored a TD against Pittsburgh. And then he was just cut and went to Tampa Bay. There must have been a story behind that.

He hit on Shanny's wife at a team cookout.

Bacchus
11-08-2012, 08:20 AM
He hit on Shanny's wife at a team cookout.

That would explain it.

SleepingTiger
11-08-2012, 08:33 AM
the 2006 DAFT class was full of head cases..

cutler until this year when he has to act like a human because of his girlfriend has been an ahole to his team mates, media and fans.. BTW his 84.6 QBR has pretty much been constant from day one.. 94 picks to 129 TDs not a good ratio at all..

BM the only guy in the NFL that had his own Permanent visitor pass for the NFL offices.. got kicked off of two different teams because he was a diva and his team mates wanted nothing to do with him..

TS a guy that has started 38 games in his 104 game career.. a lousy blocker and a whooping 21 TDs in those 104 games.

Doom now here is a player still not playing the run as well as he could be... Not worth the money he is making but still one of our best.. but as a 4th rounder he was not thought highly of by 32 other teams a total surprise for them all..

Hixon looking to be a good player for the Giants.. to bad someone in Broncos FO was stupid enough to allow him to leave. Not like we were overloaded with talent there..

Kuper another good choice but then in the 5th round a good find

SO we really got two players out of the 7 that were worth keeping..
IMO not close to being a GREAT draft, for that matter not even a good one.. good draft.. one full time starter ORG and a part time DE who is substituted out on running plays..

But I'm sure those that have been sucking on cutlets sac for year will disagree..

as for 2008 one starter out of nine picks.. not great either..

What the crap are you talking about?

Before Manning came aboard, I bet you were all over Ortons nuts right? You were just so happy that Orton was the QB and not Cutler. Whatever guy, all you need to know was he was worth two 1st round picks, a 3rd and moldy sandwich aka orton.

BM is a diva and a headcase, whatever. All i know was we got him in the 4th rd pick and we got back two 2nd round picks.

Doom, are you serious? The guy is a stud at DE. He was the reason for the comeback against the chargers. We got him in the 4th round! He will eventually hold the Broncos all time sack record

Hixon is a good WR and excellent return guy. Not sure why Denver released him either. Another 4th rd pick.

Kuper, the guy was not a good find in the 5th round, he was an excellent find. The guys is considered the heart and soul of our Oline.

If the draft was a redo, Cutler, BM and Doom would be top 10 picks.

lonestar
11-08-2012, 09:01 AM

Before Manning came aboard, I bet you were all over Ortons nuts right? You were just so happy that Orton was the QB and not Cutler. Whatever guy, all you need to know was he was worth two 1st round picks, a 3rd and moldy sandwich aka orton.

BM is a diva and a headcase, whatever. All i know was we got him in the 4th rd pick and we got back two 2nd round picks.

Doom, are you serious? The guy is a stud at DE. He was the reason for the comeback against the chargers. We got him in the 4th round! He will eventually hold the Broncos all time sack record

Hixon is a good WR and excellent return guy. Not sure why Denver released him either. Another 4th rd pick.

Kuper, the guy was not a good find in the 5th round, he was an excellent find. The guys is considered the heart and soul of our Oline.

As for Orton yes I was happy because the head case was gone. Was not sure if he would be the answer but getting him and two firsts thought that was aGod send. Without his defense and ST play they would not be close to 7-1 not with his mediocre play at QB in fact I'd guess he would be pressing even more picks and fumbles than he has to date this year.

As for BM yes we got 2 seconds for him great I applaud Josh formmaking an astute deal for both him and cutlet.

But see you missed my entire idea.

That is simply taking head cases nut jobs and in one case a one handed WR at 51 in the DAFT is poor at best personnel decisions.

Those players that you take on what used to be day one (rounds 1-3 for you kiddies) are supposed to be keepers and the FOUNDATION OF YOUR TEAM FOR A DECADE or more barring injury.

But in Mikey's case 13% of the guys he took ever made it to a second contract with us and 5 of the 6 were from 1999 drafts or before only one was after that DJ and IMO that moron should have never got the one he did about half of it would make it palatable.

So do you get the drift. Even though we got something for the morons. They are not on the team as we speak because they could not hack being a bronco. That comes from never interviewing most of them one on one for fear someone would think your going take them. Paranoia supreme.

Bronco Rob
11-10-2012, 07:27 PM
22. Ryan Clady, LT, DEN

Only a fool would say that Clady doesn’t benefit from playing with Peyton Manning. His ability to get rid of a ball quickly makes the job of a tackle that much easier. But don’t be fooled into thinking that Clady, in a contract year, isn’t playing lights out. He’s given up just six hurries on 306 pass blocks snaps and allowed just two knockdowns of his quarterback. His run blocking rarely excites, but this is a tackle at the top of his game.

Key Stat: Leads all tackles with a pass blocking efficiency of 98.5.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/11/07/pff-top-51/3/

BroncoMan4ever
11-10-2012, 10:47 PM

Hixon's head got pretty messed up when that collision crippled that guy from the Bills. He was looking good and then disappeared after that play. I guess a change of scenery helped him.

KipCorrington25
11-10-2012, 11:00 PM
Hixon sucked when he was here, very timid on KO return. Yeah he blossomed in NY but 99% of guys that play like he did in Denver never sniff the league again... I'll fault a lot of their moves but that one I agreed with at the time.

lonestar
11-11-2012, 02:13 AM
Hixon's head got pretty messed up when that collision crippled that guy from the Bills. He was looking good and then disappeared after that play. I guess a change of scenery helped him.

Perhaps you are correct, I had always saw it as mikey not being able to keep good talent around. Not giving them the time to develop. Especially at certain positions. DL and WR for the most part unless you are a top ten choice just take time to adjust to the complexity and speed of the game.

Bronco Rob
02-17-2013, 08:19 AM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -

Peyton Manning can rest easy: his blindside protector isn't going anywhere.

Denver Broncos boss John Elway is planning to put the franchise tag on his All Pro left tackle Ryan Clady as early as Tuesday.

A franchise tag would mean a salary of just under $10 million for Clady in 2013, about three times what he earned last season, when he surrendered just one sack in more than 1,100 snaps.

Elway told the Denver Post on Friday that the Broncos still hope to work out a multi-year extension with Clady, who is recovering from a recent operation on his right shoulder that kept him out of the Pro Bowl.

Clady rejected a five-year, $50 million offer last summer that included $28 million in guarantees

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/sports/broncos/denver-broncos-to-place-franchise-tag-on-offensive-linemen-ryan-clady

Bronco Rob
02-19-2013, 06:33 PM
Ryan Clady says he’d sign tender “eventually” but “not right now”

Posted by Michael David Smith on February 19, 2013, 9:09 PM EST

Broncos left tackle Ryan Clady is about to get the franchise tag, and he says that if he has to, he can play the 2013 season on the $9.6 million franchise tender. But he’s not planning to sign that tender any time soon.

Clady said on ESPN Radio in Denver that he wouldn’t sign the tender right away, and he indicated that it would be at least a few months before he would be willing to sign it.

“Not right now,” Clady said. “I’d try to get done something by this summer, and if not, eventually, yes, I will sign. But as of right now? No.”

Clady said he doesn’t necessarily need to be the highest-paid offensive tackle in the NFL, but he wants to be in the same neighborhood as the top-paid players at his position. And if the Broncos aren’t offering him that kind of long-term deal, he might not be there at the start of training camp.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/19/ryan-clady-says-hed-sign-tender-eventually-but-not-right-now/

broncosteven
02-19-2013, 06:48 PM
Hixon sucked when he was here, very timid on KO return. Yeah he blossomed in NY but 99% of guys that play like he did in Denver never sniff the league again... I'll fault a lot of their moves but that one I agreed with at the time.

Hixon was moved to our Practice Squad because of that hit, he was struggling and we needed a roster spot at the time, Shanny was hoping no one would notice but the Giants made a great move signing him.

That said Hixon was Ok but he didn't have a great career, he did contribute to a SB but was out of football soon after.

lonestar
02-19-2013, 08:35 PM

Broncos left tackle Ryan Clady is about to get the franchise tag, and he says that if he has to, he can play the 2013 season on the $9.6 million franchise tender. But he’s not planning to sign that tender any time soon.

Clady said on ESPN Radio in Denver that he wouldn’t sign the tender right away, and he indicated that it would be at least a few months before he would be willing to sign it.

“Not right now,” Clady said. “I’d try to get done something by this summer, and if not, eventually, yes, I will sign. But as of right now? No.”

Clady said he doesn’t necessarily need to be the highest-paid offensive tackle in the NFL, but he wants to be in the same neighborhood as the top-paid players at his position. And if the Broncos aren’t offering him that kind of long-term deal, he might not be there at the start of training camp.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/19/ryan-clady-says-hed-sign-tender-eventually-but-not-right-now/

Most likely will not be healed until mid TC..

I think the reporter forgets he just had surgery..

Inkana7
02-19-2013, 08:37 PM
Hixon was moved to our Practice Squad because of that hit, he was struggling and we needed a roster spot at the time, Shanny was hoping no one would notice but the Giants made a great move signing him.

That said Hixon was Ok but he didn't have a great career, he did contribute to a SB but was out of football soon after.

Hixon had 39 catches for over 500 yards and 2 TDs this year.

DBroncos4life
02-21-2013, 12:34 PM
Free agent LT Ryan Clady says he is targeting a long-term contract in the range of Joe Thomas and Jason Peters'.
"Just something comparable to Joe Thomas and Jason Peters," Clady said. "I feel like I’m in that category as far as tackles, so something along those lines." Thomas signed an eight-year, $92 million contract with $44 million guaranteed in August of 2011. Peters' deal is quite a bit older, having done a six-year, $60.657 million pact back in 2009. Peters received $25 million guaranteed.
Source: Sports Radio Interviews

DENVERDUI55
02-21-2013, 12:37 PM

He has to wait until he heals because of right now he can't lift his arm enought to sign the tender.

lonestar
02-21-2013, 12:54 PM
He has to wait until he heals because of right now he can't lift his arm enought to sign the tender.
:thimbs:

makes since as much as mikey drafting a one handed WR at the number 54 choice..

SonOfLe-loLang
02-21-2013, 01:24 PM
:thimbs:

makes since as much as mikey drafting a one handed WR at the number 54 choice..

Oh no, he's hurt.

Guess we shouldnt have signed PM last year either

Lestat
02-21-2013, 04:05 PM
we need to sign him ASAP. that tag is going to be a pain on the cap. granted we'll have a nice chunk of space anyways.

Bronco Rob
04-05-2013, 04:35 PM
The past two weeks I’ve broken down a few different pass rush moves. I looked at how they give offensive linemen trouble, and what the linemen could’ve done differently to stop them. It was really fun, and I thought both columns turned out well, but there was just too much defensive success for my taste. So, this week, rather than tell you how an offensive lineman can win, I’m going to show you.

I watched the Week 16 game between the Broncos and Browns figuring that between Joe Thomas and Ryan Clady, I would have plenty of plays to choose from. It didn’t take long for me to find a play with Clady putting on a pass-blocking clinic.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/word-muth/2013/word-muth-examining-cladys-set

Lestat
04-05-2013, 05:25 PM
that is exactly why i shake my head at folks who say draft someone to replace him.

Bronco Rob
04-15-2013, 10:41 AM
Perhaps one of the biggest names who won't report today is Broncos left tackle Ryan Clady, according to The Denver Post's Mike Klis, who cited two sources. Clady, who has yet to sign his $9.828 million franchise tag, will attempt to gain leverage as he seeks the security of a long-term contract by avoiding Dove Valley this week.

Clady has indicated he plans to sign the tender if a long-term deal can't be worked out with Denver, but not showing up Monday morning can be a reminder to management of just how big a hole could be on Peyton Manning's blind side.

Clady is coming off surgery to repair a torn labrum in his right shoulder, so the biggest downside to not reporting is that he won't have a chance to get treatment from the Broncos' training staff.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000159848/article/report-ryan-clady-to-skip-denver-broncos-workouts

Mile High Salute
04-15-2013, 10:55 AM
Now is the time to re-sign Clady. The salary cap is expected to significantly go up next year, and the year after that.

TheReverend
04-15-2013, 11:03 AM
Clady is coming off surgery to repair a torn labrum in his right shoulder,

I just had the same procedure done in my right shoulder.

Bronco Rob
06-30-2013, 11:14 AM
The Broncos and franchise left tackle Ryan Clady resumed negotiations on a potential long-term contract extension earlier this month, but aren’t close to a deal. The representatives for Clady, who is key to the protection of Manning, are preparing a counter to Denver’s offer.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2013/6/30/4479862/ryan-clady-broncos-contract-negotiations

BFDD
07-01-2013, 09:15 AM
I just had the same procedure done in my right shoulder.

Strenuous repetitive action with your right hand?

baja
07-01-2013, 09:19 AM

Actually it was from endless hours of holding up a hand held mirror in front of his face.

Lestat
07-01-2013, 09:44 AM
just pay the mother ****er and make it cap friendly.

NFLBRONCO
07-01-2013, 12:20 PM
Clady's going to get paid thanks to PFM. Whether he's worth it the amount of money or not.

TheReverend
07-01-2013, 12:44 PM

Not this time.

Lestat
07-01-2013, 01:12 PM
Clady's going to get paid thanks to PFM. Whether he's worth it the amount of money or not.

he was gonna get paid anyways. he's only really had one bad season and that was with Tebow.

baja
07-01-2013, 02:19 PM
The Denver Broncos have resumed talks with offensive tackle Ryan Clady about a contract extension, but the two sides are not close to reach a deal, according to National Football Post.

Clady, the No. 12 pick in the 2008 NFL Draft, has played five seasons with the Broncos and is working on an extension that will be his second NFL contract. He played the final year of his rookie deal in 2012. That contract guaranteed him $23.375 million.

According to reports, Clady is seeking a contract extension similar to the seven-year, $80.5 million deal that Cleveland Browns left tackle Joe Thomas received last August.

The Broncos gave Clady the franchise tag, but the three-time Pro Bowler still has not signed it and appears intent on getting a long term deal before he suits up.

Denver Bronco56
07-01-2013, 02:22 PM
Nothing wrong with this.. he has played at a very high level and earned an big payday, Elway knows the importance of Oline and will get something worked out.

Bronco Rob
07-02-2013, 12:15 PM
The clock is ticking on Broncos left tackle Ryan Clady and every other player who was slapped with the franchise tag for 2013.

If a long-term deal isn’t done by July 15, no long-term deal can be negotiated with the player’s current team until after the 2013 regular season ends.

Two of the franchise players have not signed their one-year franchise tenders: Broncos left tackle Ryan Clady and Bills safety Jairus Byrd. As to Clady, a source with knowledge of the situation tells PFT that the two sides exchanged proposals last month, and that the Broncos are expected to make a new offer next week.

Yes, that will be cutting it close. But as we’ve seen time and again, the NFL is driven by deadlines.

In this specific case, the deadline takes a back seat to the player’s health. As Broncos executive V.P. of football operations John Elway told Pro Football Talk on NBCSN at the Scouting Combine, the Broncos want to see how Clady recovers from offseason shoulder surgery until making a long-term commitment.

“I think we’ll wait and see how that comes out,” Elway said at the time. “Obviously we don’t want to jump right in because that’s always, especially for a tackle, those shoulders are always tough and we’ll see how he comes out of it. But we don’t anticipate any problems with that. My understanding is the surgery went well and our training crew says that things look good so we don’t anticipate any problems but we’ll see how he comes out of it.”

Absent a long-term deal, Clady could choose to boycott training camp and the preseason, showing up only a few days before the regular-season opener and collecting the full amount of the $9.66 million franchise tender.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=3871732

Drunken.Broncoholic
07-02-2013, 12:19 PM
Does this team really want to wait until a deadline? We saw earlier with dumervil how bad that can screw things up.

DENVERDUI55
07-02-2013, 12:27 PM
I'm not sure I would give Clady a long term deal. He seems to be breaking down a little more every year.

DBroncos4life
07-02-2013, 12:29 PM
I'm not sure I would give Clady a long term deal. He seems to be breaking down a little more every year.

Despite not missing a single game ever.

BroncoInferno
07-02-2013, 12:33 PM
Absent a long-term deal, Clady could choose to boycott training camp and the preseason, showing up only a few days before the regular-season opener and collecting the full amount of the $9.66 million franchise tender.

I thought that under the new CBA players could not holdout past August 8th (or something like that) or they would lose credit for the season? Or maybe it's different so long as Clady does not sign the tender?

Broncos_OTM
07-02-2013, 01:58 PM
I don't think clady is worth a 80 million I think peyton minimises that a little. In a couple year clady 80 m peyton 100m c
Von ? DT ?

peacepipe
07-02-2013, 02:16 PM
I don't think clady is worth a 80 million I think peyton minimises that a little. In a couple year clady 80 m peyton 100m c
Von ? DT ?

Maybe so,but manning isn't going to be around 8 yrs.

Lestat
07-02-2013, 03:14 PM
Von ? DT ?

i'd rather keep Clady and pay him 80 mil than to have to replace him.

ZONA
07-02-2013, 04:08 PM
There is no way Elway will pay him a fat contract. Elway has shown he is and will be frugal when spending money. I don't really expect him and the Broncos to reach agreement. I could be wrong, he might stay for a reduced amount but I seriously doubt Elway is going to pay him Thomas money. Not with Von's contract coming up.

BMarsh615
07-07-2013, 03:42 AM
Ryan Clady has proven to be as tough at the bargaining table as he is on pass rushers.
The somewhat monotonous but extremely serious issue that is Clady's contract negotiations move to the center table this week at Broncos headquarters.

Read more: Ryan Clady, team brass resuming contract talks - The Denver Post (http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_23612482/ryan-clady-team-brass-resuming-contract-talks#ixzz2YM5NOjXd) http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_23612482/ryan-clady-team-brass-resuming-contract-talks#ixzz2YM5NOjXd
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse
Follow us: @Denverpost on Twitter (http://ec.tynt.com/b/rw?id=drJey4bd8r3PGFab7jrHtB&u=Denverpost) | Denverpost on Facebook (http://ec.tynt.com/b/rf?id=drJey4bd8r3PGFab7jrHtB&u=Denverpost)

peacepipe
07-07-2013, 07:03 AM
There is no way Elway will pay him a fat contract. Elway has shown he is and will be frugal when spending money. I don't really expect him and the Broncos to reach agreement. I could be wrong, he might stay for a reduced amount but I seriously doubt Elway is going to pay him Thomas money. Not with Von's contract coming up.

Clady isn't going through this for a reduced contract. Elway may be frugal but he ain't stupid. Elway of all people knows the importance of a very good LT.

Pendejo
07-07-2013, 08:05 AM
Clady isn't going through this for a reduced contract. Elway may be frugal but he ain't stupid. Elway of all people knows the importance of a very good LT.

Right. Clady doesn't have to show until he gets what he wants, and he'll get it from someone.

Beantown Bronco
07-07-2013, 08:09 AM
Right. Clady doesn't have to show until he gets what he wants, and he'll get it from someone.

Ummmm, franchise tag.

Pendejo
07-07-2013, 09:25 AM
Ummmm, franchise tag.

So what? He doesn't have a contract. They can't fine him or anything.

What is Elway going to do...go rouse Ryan out of bed and say, "Ryan, time for work?"

Of course not.

He doesn't have to show up at all. Elway has shown that he's not above arm twisting, and my instinct says that Clady isn't either. He's made some nice dough already, and while the tender is serious cash it pales in comparison to what is out on the open market. What's to stop Clady from not reporting until game 10 or whatever?

Barring further injury he's going to get his money one way or another. He has plenty of leverage. They have far too much money invested in Manning to try and dick Clady around too much.

Tombstone RJ
07-07-2013, 09:31 AM

What is Elway going to do...go rouse Ryan out of bed and say, "Ryan, time for work?"

Of course not.

He doesn't have to show up at all. Elway has shown that he's not above arm twisting, and my instinct says that Clady isn't either. He's made some nice dough already, and while the tender is serious cash it pales in comparison to what is out on the open market. What's to stop Clady from not reporting until game 10 or whatever?

Barring further injury he's going to get his money one way or another. He has plenty of leverage. They have far too much money invested in Manning to try and dick Clady around too much.

The Broncos offered a very nice extension last year to which Clady said "no." Glady gambled and he lost. The Broncos have a franchise tag on him and if he doesn't show up for TC, he's gonna lose a lot more money. It is what it is. Hopefully the Broncos work things out with Clady before TC.

pricejj
07-07-2013, 09:50 AM
Broncos lose nothing by tagging Clady in 2013 and 2014. It would cost them $9.83M this year and $11.8M next year.

Clady is worth every penny of the franchise tag (over the next two years) and the Broncos have the cap flexibility to do it. No reason to give Clady a longterm contract if he won't agree to deal that is beneficial to both sides.

The cap is expected to increase in 2015 anyway, so why not put it off until then? It's what I expect to happen.

peacepipe
07-07-2013, 10:12 AM
Broncos lose nothing by tagging Clady in 2013 and 2014. It would cost them $9.83M this year and $11.8M next year.

Clady is worth every penny of the franchise tag (over the next two years) and the Broncos have the cap flexibility to do it. No reason to give Clady a longterm contract if he won't agree to deal that is beneficial to both sides.

The cap is expected to increase in 2015 anyway, so why not put it off until then? It's what I expect to happen.

If you're looking to not sign Clady to a long term contract,that's the way to go.

Pendejo
07-07-2013, 10:13 AM
The Broncos offered a very nice extension last year to which Clady said "no." Glady gambled and he lost. The Broncos have a franchise tag on him and if he doesn't show up for TC, he's gonna lose a lot more money. It is what it is. Hopefully the Broncos work things out with Clady before TC.

Clady loses money...the Donks have to find a new left tackle whilst chasing a super bowl.

Obviously the scenario I posed is an extreme, but it's possible.

I'm with you though. I hope they work out a deal...and everyone is happy. Until, of course, the team decides not to honor it.

razorwire77
07-07-2013, 10:15 AM
Gut feeling is that they're going to franchise him until PFM retires. Once Peyton is done (after this year or next), and his contract is off the books, they sign him with a LTC. Honestly, he probably should have taken the original deal that was offered.

peacepipe
07-07-2013, 10:17 AM

Apparently clady disagreed.

Drunken.Broncoholic
07-07-2013, 10:18 AM

Of course not.

Why would he walk away from more money for the purpose of trying for a couple mil more? He's not walking away from 9 mil or 11 next year. Price is right with the post above.

BMarsh615
07-07-2013, 10:19 AM
What's to stop Clady from not reporting until game 10 or whatever?

He doesn't have to show up at all to TC, we can't fine him. BUT he will start missing game checks worth half a million a pop once week one starts so he'll be here by the time the season starts.

Even if Clady doesn't get a longterm deal I bet he won't miss any TC.

peacepipe
07-07-2013, 10:20 AM
Gut feeling is that they're going to franchise him until PFM retires. Once Peyton is done (after this year or next), and his contract is off the books, they sign him with a LTC. Honestly, he probably should have taken the original deal that was offered.
All that will happen is clady signs somewhere else. You think after being dragged along for 2 or 3 years with the franchise tag that clady will sign a Long term contract with Denver?

razorwire77
07-07-2013, 10:27 AM
All that will happen is clady signs somewhere else. You think after being dragged along for 2 or 3 years with the franchise tag that clady will sign a Long term contract with Denver?

50/50. But those are the risks you take. In the salary cap era, you are forced to take those risks. He was offered a lucrative long term contract that was more than fair. He rolled the dice and the LT market declined. If he plays lights out this year and recovers from injury, he'll sign for the most guaranteed money (whether it be here or elsewhere). I really think if Peyton gets a ring this year he's done.

Drunken.Broncoholic
07-07-2013, 10:34 AM
I still think Sullivan can get something good on the table. But if they are just trying to win in this manning window tagging is their best option. I'm with razor if Peyton wins this year he's retiring. TV contracts kicks in combined with the absence of Mannings contract and they'll have plenty of room.

peacepipe
07-07-2013, 10:37 AM
50/50. But those are the risks you take. In the salary cap era, you are forced to take those risks. He was offered a lucrative long term contract that was more than fair. He rolled the dice and the LT market declined. If he plays lights out this year and recovers from injury, he'll sign for the most guaranteed money (whether it be here or elsewhere). I really think if Peyton gets a ring this year he's done.

Apparently it wasn't more than fair. Considering he's just as good or better than Thomas he's more than justified in asking for what he's asking for.

Bmore Manning
07-07-2013, 10:53 AM

I didn't know Peyton had just this year or next. Archie is that you?

Drunken.Broncoholic
07-07-2013, 11:13 AM

I think it depends on the SB. If he wins it IMO he retires going out as a champ. If they don't win it he comes back again.

Bmore Manning
07-07-2013, 11:22 AM
I think it depends on the SB. If he wins it IMO he retires going out as a champ. If they don't win it he comes back again.

I don't think so. I think he's going to play as long as he's performing at a high level and having fun doing so. He's playing for his legacy, you heard John, the objective is to win multiple SBs with Manning.

Drunken.Broncoholic
07-07-2013, 11:31 AM
I don't think so. I think he's going to play as long as he's performing at a high level and having fun doing so. He's playing for his legacy, you heard John, the objective is to win multiple SBs with Manning.

If manning wins it this year he could come back for one more to try and back to back then retire at 38. Someone else we know did that.

I guess it all depends on how he holds up healthwise.

peacepipe
07-07-2013, 11:59 AM
If manning wins it this year he could come back for one more to try and back to back then retire at 38. Someone else we know did that.

I guess it all depends on how he holds up healthwise.

Hence why clady is going to get what he wants or something very close.

Tombstone RJ
07-07-2013, 12:24 PM
I think both the Broncos and Clady want to work something out. This is just the business side of the game and both sides realize this. Clady wants as much money has he can get and the Broncos want to pay him what they think he is worth and so here in lies the problem. I think both sides will come to an agreement.

Bacchus
07-07-2013, 12:33 PM

Your right unless Clady refuses to report. He did not sign his franchise tag so he is not under contract by the Broncos. He can sit at home until week 10 and report then if he wants to.

If Clady doesn't report is Manning going to be upright after week 10? How good is Ryan Clark?

Get him signed.

peacepipe
07-07-2013, 12:37 PM
I think both the Broncos and Clady want to work something out. This is just the business side of the game and both sides realize this. Clady wants as much money has he can get and the Broncos want to pay him what they think he is worth and so here in lies the problem. I think both sides will come to an agreement.

Broncos want to pay less then what they have to,not what they think he's worth.

razorwire77
07-07-2013, 12:37 PM

Not Archie, but I think it's common sense to believe that a couple of years is probably his window. If for example he were to go out this year as a Superbowl MVP, you really think he's coming back? Doubt he pulls a Brett Farve.

peacepipe
07-07-2013, 12:39 PM
Not Archie, but I think it's common sense to believe that a couple of years is probably his window. If for example he were to go out this year as a Superbowl MVP, you really think he's coming back? Doubt he pulls a Brett Farve.

He wouldn't be pulling a Brett farve by continuing to play.

Tombstone RJ
07-07-2013, 12:53 PM

and you know this how?

baja
07-07-2013, 12:56 PM

You say that like it is fact but it's just something that lives in your brain.

peacepipe
07-07-2013, 01:04 PM
and you know this how?

The same way you know that the broncos are try to pay clady"what he's worth".

pricejj
07-07-2013, 01:59 PM
Your right unless Clady refuses to report. He did not sign his franchise tag so he is not under contract by the Broncos. He can sit at home until week 10 and report then if he wants to.

If Clady doesn't report is Manning going to be upright after week 10? How good is Ryan Clark?

Get him signed.

I haven't heard that Clady was going to refuse to report. I guess things could change, but when the Broncos tagged him, he seemed like he was accepting it as part of business in the NFL.

Can't see paying much more than $10M per year for an LT, there's just not enough money to go around...not if you want to remain a SB contender. Of course, you don't want to lose the best LT in the NFL either. Good thing is, they have options to hold on to Clady until 2015 (when the cap is expected to go up).

It's very simple, Clady will have a chance to take the Broncos contract this week, or be franchised.

Bacchus
07-07-2013, 03:06 PM
I haven't heard that Clady was going to refuse to report. I guess things could change, but when the Broncos tagged him, he seemed like he was accepting it as part of business in the NFL.

Can't see paying much more than $10M per year for an LT, there's just not enough money to go around...not if you want to remain a SB contender. Of course, you don't want to lose the best LT in the NFL either. Good thing is, they have options to hold on to Clady until 2015 (when the cap is expected to go up).

It's very simple, Clady will have a chance to take the Broncos contract this week, or be franchised.

I am wondering if Denver dropped their offer from $10 million per season. Jake Long only got $8.5 per season this past off season. Maybe Denver has taken the 5 for $50 off the table. All speculation at this point. hopefully he gets signed and Denver would be set at LT for the foreseeable future.

peacepipe
07-07-2013, 03:25 PM
Jake long hasn't been able to play a whole season the past couple of years,that is what hurt him on his contract. 5 yr 50 mil is off the tbl but that probably has more to do with knowing clady won't agree to it.

DBroncos4life
07-07-2013, 03:48 PM

Get him signed.

This is a 100% wrong. If they aren't on the roster a month before game 1, they LOSE the whole season no matter when they report. This just recently went into effect for Chris Johnson of the Titans-he's holding out for a new deal and did not report 30 days before the first game, so he now loses the entire 2011 season for his service time.