PDA

View Full Version : Pioli goes 'KCStud' says Chiefs have three good QBs, didn’t need to draft one

Bronco Rob
05-18-2012, 05:14 AM
Scott Pioli doesn’t like it when you question his draft

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 17, 2012, 1:15 PM EDT

Kansas City wanted to sign Peyton Manning this offseason, and when that didn’t work out, there was some talk that the Chiefs might draft a quarterback in the first round. That didn’t happen either, however, and Chiefs General Manager Scott Pioli says that’s fine, because the Chiefs don’t need a quarterback.

According to Pioli, starter Matt Cassel and backups Brady Quinn and Ricky Stanzi have the Chiefs well positioned at the most important position.

“I think that we have a really good quarterback,” Pioli said on WHB in Kansas City, via SportsRadioInterviews.com. “I think we have three good quarterbacks. I think the guy who’s set to be our starting quarterback is a good quarterback, he’s a good starting NFL quarterback. . . . I think as he gets more opportunities, Matt is gonna continue to show people that he’s a good NFL quarterback. It’s interesting. I’ve been out and about town with my family, and I talk to fans, you talk to fans, you hear different things, and there’s a lot of times where I hear from people — there’s people out there that don’t understand the criticism of Matt, or this growing groundswell in pockets of Matt allegedly not being a good enough quarterback.”

Cassel didn’t look like a really good quarterback last season, but Pioli remains convinced that he is one, and he also believes Quinn and Stanzi are capable. And he said using a first-round pick on a quarterback this year would have been a mistake.

“I think we would’ve been reaching,” Pioli said. “By the time we made our first pick there were three quarterbacks off the board.”

Pioli and Kevin Kietzman of WHB got a little testy with each other as Kietzman pressed Pioli about why the Chiefs couldn’t have traded up in the draft, with Pioli at one point asking, “Are you going to let me answer?” when he felt Kietzman was interrupting him, and Pioli zinging Kietzman with, “I hope you become general manager of the Denver Broncos” when Kietzman told Pioli that he would have traded the Chiefs’ entire draft to move up and take Andrew Luck first overall. Pioli doesn’t seem to like the relentless questions from some in Kansas City about whether the Chiefs can win with Cassel.

And Pioli surely knows that the questions will not go away until the Chiefs do win with Cassel. So Pioli just has to hope he’s right that Cassel is a really good quarterback.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/17/pioli-says-chiefs-have-three-good-quarterbacks-didnt-need-to-draft-one/

HILife
05-18-2012, 05:41 AM
LMAO LMAO LMFAO!!!!

It's true, it's on the Mane.

bronco militia
05-18-2012, 06:37 AM
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=30898&stc=1&d=1337203388

Dr. Broncenstein
05-18-2012, 08:27 AM
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=30898&stc=1&d=1337203388

I has teh Lulz now

razorwire77
05-18-2012, 08:37 AM

Hilarious!

Drunken.Broncoholic
05-18-2012, 08:48 AM
Like a big bag of mashed up azz holes.

Kaylore
05-18-2012, 08:55 AM
I has teh Lulz now

:~ohyah!:

Black96WS6
05-18-2012, 09:41 AM
“I think that we have a really good quarterback,” Pioli said on WHB in Kansas City
http://h11.abload.de/img/charlie_murphy_laughilbk65.gif

maher_tyler
05-18-2012, 10:57 AM

Kansas City wanted to sign Peyton Manning this offseason, and when that didn’t work out, there was some talk that the Chiefs might draft a quarterback in the first round. That didn’t happen either, however, and Chiefs General Manager Scott Pioli says that’s fine, because the Chiefs don’t need a quarterback.

According to Pioli, starter Matt Cassel and backups Brady Quinn and Ricky Stanzi have the Chiefs well positioned at the most important position.

“I think that we have a really good quarterback,” Pioli said on WHB in Kansas City, via SportsRadioInterviews.com. “I think we have three good quarterbacks. I think the guy who’s set to be our starting quarterback is a good quarterback, he’s a good starting NFL quarterback. . . . I think as he gets more opportunities, Matt is gonna continue to show people that he’s a good NFL quarterback. It’s interesting. I’ve been out and about town with my family, and I talk to fans, you talk to fans, you hear different things, and there’s a lot of times where I hear from people — there’s people out there that don’t understand the criticism of Matt, or this growing groundswell in pockets of Matt allegedly not being a good enough quarterback.”

Cassel didn’t look like a really good quarterback last season, but Pioli remains convinced that he is one, and he also believes Quinn and Stanzi are capable. And he said using a first-round pick on a quarterback this year would have been a mistake.

“I think we would’ve been reaching,” Pioli said. “By the time we made our first pick there were three quarterbacks off the board.”

Pioli and Kevin Kietzman of WHB got a little testy with each other as Kietzman pressed Pioli about why the Chiefs couldn’t have traded up in the draft, with Pioli at one point asking, “Are you going to let me answer?” when he felt Kietzman was interrupting him, and Pioli zinging Kietzman with, “I hope you become general manager of the Denver Broncos” when Kietzman told Pioli that he would have traded the Chiefs’ entire draft to move up and take Andrew Luck first overall. Pioli doesn’t seem to like the relentless questions from some in Kansas City about whether the Chiefs can win with Cassel.

And Pioli surely knows that the questions will not go away until the Chiefs do win with Cassel. So Pioli just has to hope he’s right that Cassel is a really good quarterback.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/17/pioli-says-chiefs-have-three-good-quarterbacks-didnt-need-to-draft-one/

If they were satisfied with their QB situation, they wouldn't have gone after Manning...simple as that. Matter of fact, if it weren't for Cassel's contract, they would prolly cut him and would have drafted a QB.

KCStud
05-18-2012, 11:01 AM
This was said in February. Reaching for straws I see

oubronco
05-18-2012, 11:02 AM
Well there you go

Kaylore
05-18-2012, 11:34 AM

Is your name Christopher in RL, by chance?

Tombstone RJ
05-18-2012, 12:05 PM
If they were satisfied with their QB situation, they wouldn't have gone after Manning...simple as that. Matter of fact, if it weren't for Cassel's contract, they would prolly cut him and would have drafted a QB.

Yep. $60m wasted but by God Pioli is gonna prove he was worth it! Even if Cassel has a decent year that's $60m for one good year? Hilarious!

I guess you can't fix stupid.

Bigdawg26
05-18-2012, 12:34 PM

LOL he makes the division so much easier!

maher_tyler
05-18-2012, 12:45 PM

If it was said in Feb then why were they going after Manning??

Irish Stout
05-18-2012, 12:51 PM

I thought I told you to knock it off. You're the only one reaching for straws and giving us all a good chuckle in the meantime.

Tombstone RJ
05-18-2012, 01:00 PM
If I was Pioli, this is what I would have done this offseason with Cassel: I would have asked him to restructure his contract, that is, I would have asked him to take a lot less money.

If he said "no." then I would have said "fine Matt, fine."

Then I would have drafted Weedon.

Bronco Rob
05-18-2012, 01:10 PM

Did the draft happen in February?

???

McD more rings than Elway
05-18-2012, 02:12 PM
The last time the Queefs drafted a quarterback in the first round was 1983.

http://media.kansascity.com/smedia/2012/05/14/13/52/7gfWo.SlMa.81.jpg

ClamChowdah
05-18-2012, 02:15 PM
Pioli is just another guy who got rich living off of Bill Belichick.

Cito Pelon
05-18-2012, 02:19 PM
Cassel is a decent starter (same thing I said about Orton), no more than that. Of course, that is putting him and Orton into perspective with the perennial avg to below avg guys like Matt Moore, Tarvaris, Kolb, Fitzpatrick, Campbell, etc, etc.

He's a guy just like Orton, decent if everything else is great, but certainly you want to upgrade. Hence all those people Pioli is hoping will just go away and leave him and Cassel alone.

05-18-2012, 02:19 PM

Are you excited about Belichick joining forces again with Josh McDaniels?

When Belichick retires, McDaniels is going to continue the Patriots dynasty just like Belichick built upon the greatness that Bill Parcells started.

05-18-2012, 02:20 PM
Cassel is a decent starter (same thing I said about Orton), no more than that. Of course, that is putting him and Orton into perspective with the perennial avg to below avg guys like Matt Moore, Tarvaris, Kolb, Fitzpatrick, Campbell, etc, etc.

He's a guy just like Orton, decent if everything else is great, but certainly you want to upgrade. Hence all those people Pioli is hoping will just go away and leave him and Cassel alone.

Decent starter my ass. Cassel is a steaming pile of ****.

Bronco Rob
05-18-2012, 02:24 PM

http://i49.tinypic.com/2eg5euq.jpg

:wave:

Heyneck
05-18-2012, 02:27 PM
just wait to one of them leaves a wrapper laying around the facilities!

Bronco Rob
05-18-2012, 02:35 PM
Todd Haley walked into the public relations office at Chiefs headquarters on a Thursday in early December. Four days before he was fired as the team’s coach, he wanted to talk about what life was like inside this organization. But he didn’t know who else might be listening.

Looking up toward the ceiling, he darted into a back hallway before hesitating. Then he turned around, going back through a door and stopping again. Haley suspected that many rooms at the team facility were bugged so that team administrators could monitor employees’ conversations. Stopping finally in a conference room, Haley said he believed his personal cellphone, a line he used before being hired by the Chiefs in 2009, had been tampered with.

Paranoid? The Chiefs have adamantly denied that they tap phones or listen in on conversations. But as the team enters another period of transition after elevating defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel last week to head coach, interviews with more than two dozen current and former employees suggest that intimidation and secrecy are among the Chiefs’ principal management styles — and that Haley wasn’t the only one with paranoid thoughts.

“When you’re mentally abused, you eventually lose it, too,” one former longtime Chiefs executive said.

Since Scott Pioli was hired as general manager in January 2009, life for many inside the Chiefs’ front office has been marked by massive staff turnover, fear and insecurity about how closely they are watched. Numerous current and former staffers paint a picture of constant worry — and, in a few cases, of alleged age discrimination. Three former department heads sued the Chiefs in 2011, though the team has denied wrongdoing.

Clark Hunt, the team’s chairman and CEO, rejected the notion that Arrowhead is a difficult place to work, but he said there has been an emphasis placed on responsibility. Change, he said, is often uncomfortable.

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/01/14/3371495/arrowhead-anxiety-turnover-off.html

:strong:

broncosteven
05-18-2012, 02:37 PM
If Cassell doesn't work out they can bring back Brody Croyle and see if he can get his 1st ever NFL win.

Cito Pelon
05-18-2012, 02:59 PM
Decent starter my ass. Cassel is a steaming pile of ****.

You must have missed this part, "Of course, that is putting him and Orton into perspective with the perennial avg to below avg guys like Matt Moore, Tarvaris, Kolb, Fitzpatrick, Campbell, etc, etc."

By your standard, about 1/2 to 1/3 of the NFL starters for the past 20 yrs are POS's. Which is true, since they get replaced quite often. Hence, this part "He's a guy just like Orton, decent if everything else is great, but certainly you want to upgrade."

KCStud
05-18-2012, 07:53 PM
Todd Haley walked into the public relations office at Chiefs headquarters on a Thursday in early December. Four days before he was fired as the team’s coach, he wanted to talk about what life was like inside this organization. But he didn’t know who else might be listening.

Looking up toward the ceiling, he darted into a back hallway before hesitating. Then he turned around, going back through a door and stopping again. Haley suspected that many rooms at the team facility were bugged so that team administrators could monitor employees’ conversations. Stopping finally in a conference room, Haley said he believed his personal cellphone, a line he used before being hired by the Chiefs in 2009, had been tampered with.

Paranoid? The Chiefs have adamantly denied that they tap phones or listen in on conversations. But as the team enters another period of transition after elevating defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel last week to head coach, interviews with more than two dozen current and former employees suggest that intimidation and secrecy are among the Chiefs’ principal management styles — and that Haley wasn’t the only one with paranoid thoughts.

“When you’re mentally abused, you eventually lose it, too,” one former longtime Chiefs executive said.

Since Scott Pioli was hired as general manager in January 2009, life for many inside the Chiefs’ front office has been marked by massive staff turnover, fear and insecurity about how closely they are watched. Numerous current and former staffers paint a picture of constant worry — and, in a few cases, of alleged age discrimination. Three former department heads sued the Chiefs in 2011, though the team has denied wrongdoing.

Clark Hunt, the team’s chairman and CEO, rejected the notion that Arrowhead is a difficult place to work, but he said there has been an emphasis placed on responsibility. Change, he said, is often uncomfortable.

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/01/14/3371495/arrowhead-anxiety-turnover-off.html

:strong:

What does Todd Haley's sour grapes about getting fired have to do with this thread again?

Bronco Rob
05-18-2012, 09:02 PM
What does Todd Haley's sour grapes about getting fired have to do with this thread again?

Scott Pioli??

???

broncocalijohn
05-18-2012, 09:12 PM

Does it matter? Someone is reaching for straws to back up the statement. His name is KCStud.

Bacchus
05-18-2012, 10:58 PM
So KC has Matt Cassel and backups Brady Quinn and Ricky Stanzi. With them and three good QBs that means KC is going to carry 6 QBs on the roster this year?