PDA

View Full Version : So...Will NFL/Football get banned?

Hartley
05-17-2012, 08:23 AM
(All kidding aside, i have the utmost respect for Junior Seau and wish the best upon his friends and family)

As we all know Junior Seau took is own life due to the many years of suffering that he endured while playing the brutal game of football. He was unable to live a normal life outside of football (and it is amazing that he even survived playing it). We should blame ourselves the fans for the death of Seau and others who have suffered severe brain damage due to the concussions received while trying to live paycheck to paycheck.

Football is an evil corporation who promotes unfair competition between struggling Americans who are nothing more that gloried gladiators who must act of every whim of... Of you you ask.. well the FANS obviously.

Other Than the greedy old white guy owners and their fatcat lifestyles, the football fans are really to blame. They want harder hits, more blood, more sacrifice, more brutality in the name of mere entertainment. It's disgusting! Football should not be allowed to exist in its current form, if not banned entirely.

Am i right? or am i right?

(even more)
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/andrew-sweat-junior-seau-how-to-make-football-worth-risk-051512

- satire off -

If there is one thing i have noticed as a member of this forum, it is that from even the most liberal NFL fan to the most conservative NFL fan. We respect the game, we respect its history, we are certainly advocates for promotion of safety, but we can see right through this phony media attempt which could indirectly destroy the game that we know and love.

My question is even though the NFL is America's most popular sport, and there are more fans for it than any other, if everyone one of us stood up together and said "enough is enough". Would it make a difference? Can the media gin up enough controversy and arouse a public outrage over the sport? And will that outrage be enough to render the NFL into a flag football league... or banned entirely?

My question is how much weight do you think this new (NFL=BAD) media template will carry?

55CrushEm
05-17-2012, 08:27 AM
(All kidding aside, i have the utmost respect for Junior Seau and wish the best upon his friends and family)

As we all know Junior Seau took is own life due to the many years of suffering that he endured while playing the brutal game of football. He was unable to live a normal life outside of football (and it is amazing that he even survived playing it). We should blame ourselves the fans for the death of Seau and others who have suffered severe brain damage due to the concussions received while trying to live paycheck to paycheck.

Football is an evil corporation who promotes unfair competition between struggling Americans who are nothing more that gloried gladiators who must act of every whim of... Of you you ask.. well the FANS obviously.

Other Than the greedy old white guy owners and their fatcat lifestyles, the football fans are really to blame. They want harder hits, more blood, more sacrifice, more brutality in the name of mere entertainment. It's disgusting! Football should not be allowed to exist in its current form, if not banned entirely.

(even more)
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/andrew-sweat-junior-seau-how-to-make-football-worth-risk-051512

- satire off -

If there is one thing i have noticed as a member of this forum, it is that from even the most liberal tree hugging hippie NFL fan to the most tea bagging conservative NFL fan. We respect the game, we respect its history, we are certainly advocates for promotion of safety, but we can see right through this phony media attempt to destroy the game that we know and love.

My question is even though the NFL is America's most popular sport, and there are more fans for it than any other, if everyone one of us stood up together and said "enough is enough". Would it make a difference? Can the media gin up enough controversy and arouse a public outrage over the sport? And will that outrage be enough to render the NFL into a flag football league... or banned entirely?

My question is how much weight do you think this new (NFL=BAD) media template will carry?

We don't KNOW this yet, do we? Speculation.

Houshyamama
05-17-2012, 08:29 AM
but we can see right through this phony media attempt to destroy the game that we know and love.

It's not an attempt to destroy the game. This is not a conspiracy. The world doesn't work like that.

This is just an attempt to drum up another sustainable story line. $$$ That's what this is about.

Gort
05-17-2012, 08:30 AM

(even more)

- satire off -

If there is one thing i have noticed as a member of this forum, it is that from even the most liberal tree hugging hippie NFL fan to the most tea bagging conservative NFL fan. We respect the game, we respect its history, we are certainly advocates for promotion of safety, but we can see right through this phony media attempt to destroy the game that we know and love.

My question is even though the NFL is America's most popular sport, and there are more fans for it than any other. However, even if everyone one of us stood up together and said "enough is enough". Would it make a difference? Can the media gin up enough controversy and arouse a public outrage over the sport? And will that outrage be enough to render the NFL into a flag football league... or banned entirely?

tea bagging? really?? conservative aren't tea baggers. that's a gay thing and 99.9% of gays are liberals.

"tea party" is not the same as "tea bagging". to equate them is a smear of the sort i would only expect from far lefties like Colbert, Letterman, Stewart, and that gay guy on CNN who started the smear in the first place.

that term really should be banned here. or at least only allowed in WPR. it's a deliberate vulgar insult and it very much goes against the new forum rules.

i debated whether i should post this, but it needs to be said. if certain people want to use terms like this solely to divide the forum, then TJ and the mods should think long and hard about what the consequences will be. here's a hint... it won't lead to more civil discussions here.

Houshyamama
05-17-2012, 08:32 AM
tea bagging? really?? conservative aren't tea baggers. that's a gay thing and 99.9% of gays are liberals.

"tea party" is not the same as "tea bagging". to equate them is a smear of the sort i would only expect from far lefties like Colbert, Letterman, Stewart, and that gay guy on CNN who started the smear in the first place.

that term really should be banned here. or at least only allowed in WPR. it's a deliberate vulgar insult and it very much goes against the new forum rules.

i debated whether i should post this, but it needs to be said. if certain people want to use terms like this solely to divide the forum, then TJ and the mods should think long and hard about what the consequences will be. here's a hint... it won't lead to more civil discussions here.

Wait, I'm confused.

Are you or are you not a tea bagger? :wave:

cmhargrove
05-17-2012, 08:37 AM
I think we can see that over the years (especially recently), the rules are changed each year to reduce the violence and promote player safety - even at the cost of "fairness." So, that's fine, the game will live on in a less violent state, and we will remember the "good old days" with leather helmets and such. Football is still the best game on the planet.

So, the sport will continue to change (for safety reasons), but it should still be going strong in the decades to come.

maher_tyler
05-17-2012, 08:40 AM
Everyone knows the serious consequences that comes with playing football. It's a choice to play that sport. Every sport is fairly dangerous with the exception of maybe golf. Even then you can suffer injuries. We take risks every day just by getting into our cars etc. All we can do is try to make things as safe as possible.

maher_tyler
05-17-2012, 08:43 AM
Wait, I'm confused.

I've never actually tea bagged anyone...

Hartley
05-17-2012, 08:57 AM

correct

Gort
05-17-2012, 09:02 AM
Wait, I'm confused.

ok, i'll play your game. but you answer first...

are you a felcher or not?

Garcia Bronco
05-17-2012, 09:04 AM
"As we all know Junior Seau took is own life due to the many years of suffering that he endured while playing the brutal game of football. "

This has not, nor is it a fact. But's let's assume it is:

No. There might be changes, but these guys will play regardless.

HILife
05-17-2012, 09:16 AM

Pretty sure Steve Colbert is on the right.

Drunken.Broncoholic
05-17-2012, 09:16 AM
Are cigarettes banned? They would never ban it, all you gotta do it throw a warning sign on the helmet.

Drunken.Broncoholic
05-17-2012, 09:19 AM
Tea bagging has to do with scrotum sacs. I find it offensive that the mods ban someone for using the term "fool" yet the term "tea bagging" is glaring on these pages. I don't want to know about anyone's ball sac hangin or sitting in a facial region.

Gort
05-17-2012, 09:23 AM
Pretty sure Steve Colbert is on the right.

no he's not. he's a big liberal and big Obama supporter. his show on Comedy Central is intended as a parody of Bill O'Reilly's show on Fox. it's intended to mock O'Reilly, and by extension all non-liberals. much like Carol O'Connor, who was a big liberal, portrayed Archie Bunker as a mock-worthy caricature of a non-liberal back in the 70's on All in the Family.

i actually don't care about peoples' politics on here so long as they keep it in WPR and not the main football forums. but i won't sit by and see people intentionally use insulting vulgar terms to refer to Tea Party rally attendees (of which my 72-year old father was one), without saying something about it. i don't know if the OP intended to be insulting, but he certainly would not use that term if he didn't know 1) what it means, and 2) that it was a deliberate insult, and 3) is not a term of endearment.

Drunken.Broncoholic
05-17-2012, 09:25 AM
Colbert is about as left as you can get.

Garcia Bronco
05-17-2012, 09:32 AM
no he's not. he's a big liberal and big Obama supporter. his show on Comedy Central is intended as a parody of Bill O'Reilly's show on Fox. it's intended to mock O'Reilly, and by extension all non-liberals. much like Carol O'Connor, who was a big liberal, portrayed Archie Bunker as a mock-worthy caricature of a non-liberal back in the 70's on All in the Family.

i actually don't care about peoples' politics on here so long as they keep it in WPR and not the main football forums. but i won't sit by and see people intentionally use insulting vulgar terms to refer to Tea Party rally attendees (of which my 72-year old father was one), without saying something about it. i don't know if the OP intended to be insulting, but he certainly would not use that term if he didn't know 1) what it means, and 2) that it was a deliberate insult, and 3) is not a term of endearment.

Exactly...he's a complete liberal making fun of conservatives the entire show.

Hartley
05-17-2012, 09:34 AM
I had no idea that the use of my absent minded use of a term would derail this thread to such an extent. Oh well..OrangeMane for the win!

cutthemdown
05-17-2012, 09:35 AM
No. They never stopped boxing. That has made people stupid since forever.

Drunken.Broncoholic
05-17-2012, 09:37 AM

Mayweather doesn't get hit and he's still stupid. Can you imagine how bad he would be later in life if he took a bunch of haymakers to the face?

Hartley
05-17-2012, 09:39 AM

I hope that you are right, and suspect that you are.

However, I am quite ignorant to vast majority of boxing history, has the sport ever been attacked in the same way like (i.e. how can we make it safer by pulling punches? ect.)

Garcia Bronco
05-17-2012, 09:42 AM

Some would say they were stupid even before hand.

Garcia Bronco
05-17-2012, 09:43 AM
I hope that you are right, and suspect that you are.

However, I am quite ignorant to vast majority of boxing history, has the sport ever been attacked in the same way like (i.e. how can we make it safer by pulling punches? ect.)

The NFL was attacked by government in the 50's because of the brutal injuries...which led to pads and helmets.

DarkHorse30
05-17-2012, 09:44 AM
I had no idea that the use of my absent minded use of a term would derail this thread to such an extent. Oh well..OrangeMane for the win!

Conservatives/republicans are more vocal now - thank Obama for that. I shudder to think where we would be if McCain had been elected and done nearly the same things as President FoodStamp has done.

gunns
05-17-2012, 09:52 AM

That is what tea partiers are called by most who do not support their idioci....err I mean idealogy. Cracks me up when someone gets all riled up over a play on a name against something they support but have no problem doing it to someone they don't. I know, I know, you've NEVER done it. Thanks for the chuckle....and we'll see what TJ and the mods decide.

Shananahan
05-17-2012, 10:00 AM
conservative aren't tea baggers. that's a gay thing and 99.9% of gays are liberals.
I got a good laugh out of this.

Also, you know you're way too sensitive when you feel the need to protect the Tea Party's honor against internet 'slander'.

Rohirrim
05-17-2012, 10:03 AM
That is what tea partiers are called by most who do not support their idioci....err I mean idealogy. Cracks me up when someone gets all riled up over a play on a name against something they support but have no problem doing it to someone they don't. I know, I know, you've NEVER done it. Thanks for the chuckle....and we'll see what TJ and the mods decide.

No ****. Ha!

As far as the OP goes, Whitlock is full of **** and not worth listening to. Look. Players sign up for it. They know what it's all about. They played in high school. They played in college. Hell, they got a free ride to a degree. Don't want to play anymore? Use the degree. Nobody is making them do it. They get fat paychecks. They are adored on Sundays. They bask in the glory. They're first in line at the nightclubs. From high school on they're pampered and adored and glorified and then, when the party is over, they start looking around for somebody to blame. I call :bs:

Mountain Bronco
05-17-2012, 10:08 AM

We don't know this yet and we won't ever know it, unless he is resurrected to tell us. Even the brain study won't tell us what he was thinking at the time.

Gort
05-17-2012, 10:10 AM
I got a good laugh out of this.

Also, you know you're way too sensitive when you feel the need to protect the Tea Party's honor against internet 'slander'.

a slur is a slur is a slur is a slur. whether it's the C word or the N word or the F word or whatever.

if the mods want this site to become one where a small handful of vocal leftwingers here can demean others like that with impunity and laugh about, then just rename the site KOSmane or OrangeUnderground or MSNBroncosC and i'll happily ask them to delete my account and leave. but if the site is about the Broncos first and foremost and the new rules are actually really rules for everyone, and not just a cudgel to use against certain members when the mods find them convenient, then i don't see how they can think calling people teabaggers is any better than calling somebody an N or a C or an F.

keep in mind, nobody disputes that the term is an insult. the people who use it intend it as an insult. the people to whom it is directed understand it to be an insult. this is not selective outrage Gunns claims, erroneously (again, but i'm used to her nonsense by now).

and by the way, if i decided to play Gunns game and refer to her as a felcher repeatedly every time i saw her post here and laugh about it like it's some sort of huge joke, then she would be right to complain to the mods and they would be right to reprimand or ban me for doing it. it works both ways.

anyway. i made my point. reasonable people will understand it. unreasonable people will continue to be unreasonable. there's nothing i can do about that. let's hope the majority of the mods are reasonable people. i'm not saying that the OP should be in any sort of trouble... i'm just saying that from this point forward, the new rules can't be applied selectively or they are a joke.

Mountain Bronco
05-17-2012, 10:13 AM
I take a major risk with a lot of the sports that I participate in, especially some of the skiing that I do. I take all the steps that I can that are reasonable to mitigate some of the risks, but risks are risks and without those risks it wouldn't be as much fun. Without the risks on the football field, the paychecks would be a lot smaller, because we as the audience wouldn't want to watch, just like I don't want to watch a skier ski a groomed green run, I want to watch them ski an incredibly dangerous peak or huck a massive cliff, where death is a potential risk. Sorry, but that is the truth.

RhymesayersDU
05-17-2012, 10:13 AM
To sum it up: WAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH

Drunken.Broncoholic
05-17-2012, 10:17 AM
Whitlock abuses Sizzler buffets. 99% of his articles are brainstormed over 4 plates of Sizzlers finest buffet trimmings. He is a fat turd.

gunns
05-17-2012, 10:19 AM
a slur is a slur is a slur is a slur. whether it's the C word or the N word or the F word or whatever.

if the mods want this site to become one where a small handful of vocal leftwingers here can demean others like that with impunity and laugh about, then just rename the site KOSmane or OrangeUnderground or MSNBroncosC and i'll happily ask them to delete my account and leave. but if the site is about the Broncos first and foremost and the new rules are actually really rules for everyone, and not just a cudgel to use against certain members when the mods find them convenient, then i don't see how they can think calling people teabaggers is any better than calling somebody an N or a C or an F.

keep in mind, nobody disputes that the term is an insult. the people who use it intend it as an insult. the people to whom it is directed understand it to be an insult. this is not selective outrage Gunns claims, erroneously (again, but i'm used to her nonsense by now).

and by the way, if i decided to play Gunns game and refer to her as a felcher repeatedly every time i saw her post here and laugh about it like it's some sort of huge joke, then she would be right to complain to the mods and they would be right to reprimand or ban me for doing it. it works both ways.

Where did I suggest it wasn't an insult? I'm sure glad they know it is because that's exactly what it was intended for.

Called me a felcher. I could care less. In the 10 years I've been here I've gone to the mods twice, for spam, most posts I don't like I ignore. It's your opinion, something else I could care less about. It's just really too bad you get your feathers ruffled over something so insignificant. BFD.

Rohirrim
05-17-2012, 10:21 AM
http://thepoliticalcarnival.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/teabagger2.jpg

What do you call her?

Crushaholic
05-17-2012, 10:38 AM
Whitlock wrote this piece? Hilarious!

Whitlock is the Rush Limbaugh of the print media. I'm not referring to his size, though. Both people say outrageous things to get a reaction. Football is the #1 spectator sport in America. It's not going anywhere...

RhymesayersDU
05-17-2012, 10:44 AM
Where did I suggest it wasn't an insult? I'm sure glad they know it is because that's exactly what it was intended for.

Called me a felcher. I could care less. In the 10 years I've been here I've gone to the mods twice, for spam, most posts I don't like I ignore. It's your opinion, something else I could care less about. It's just really too bad you get your feathers ruffled over something so insignificant. BFD.

No, no. This is the Internet. It's all significant.

houghtam
05-17-2012, 11:11 AM
The NFL isn't going anywhere.

The worst thing that could happen would be a severe reduction of the quality of play, not just because of new rules designed to make the game safer, but by dilution of talent. I think that moving forward, there will be an increasing number of parents who are going to be unwilling to put their child at risk playing football in youth leagues and up through high school. There will also be some school districts that will simply say the dangers are not worth it from a financial perspective, and get rid of the sport entirely.

This will cause the talent level to diminish, some college teams needing to fill out their rosters may settle for the 4.5 guy when they used to get the 4.4 guy, and 10-15 years from now, football may not be the sport we recognize from today...and definitely a far cry from what we watched as kids.

Football will not get banned, though.

broncosteven
05-17-2012, 11:12 AM
To the OP's point I don't think it will be the public that will outlaw football.

I do think litigation could bankrupt it to the point that the owners sell out or just disband.

This is why the NFL is trying to out law hits so they can't take a civil suit that they were encouraging bounties or concusion causing hits.

Archer81
05-17-2012, 11:32 AM
I'm not a fan of the word teabagger. Its crass and juvenile, and displays a lack of a counter argument in people who use it. But some people will use it. If someone uses the word, my suggestion to those it offends is to place them on ignore. Free speech is a bitch sometimes, isnt it.

I'm not going to babysit every thread and ban people for using the word teabagger or anytime someone suggests Obama in Kenyan. The theory is that this board is populated by adults. Act like it, please, or the thread will be moved to the WRP forum and you can duke it out there.

:Broncos:

TheElusiveKyleOrton
05-17-2012, 11:47 AM
I don't think it'll be banned, really, but I can see it's popularity dropping off as fewer parents allow their kids to play.

Blueflame
05-17-2012, 01:53 PM

anyway. i made my point. reasonable people will understand it. unreasonable people will continue to be unreasonable. there's nothing i can do about that. let's hope the majority of the mods are reasonable people. i'm not saying that the OP should be in any sort of trouble... i'm just saying that from this point forward, the new rules can't be applied selectively or they are a joke.

"Tree-hugging hippie" isn't exactly a compliment either. However, it's a term that's commonly used when people discuss politics. Just like "teabagger". Politics and religion are divisive topics as people in general tend to see their viewpoints in "absolutes" ("I'm right and anyone who disagrees is wrong").

At any rate, I have always thought that when it's used in a political context, "teabagger" refers to "members of the Tea Party who fasten tea bags to their hats and clothing". Just as I think the term "Dutch Oven" can be totally innocuous if one's discussing cast iron cookware used on a camping trip...a "Dirty Sanchez" can happen when the Jest QB gets tackled in the mud.... "tossing salad" happens all the time in preparation for a picnic. And a "rusty trombone" can result if the brass instrument is played in the rain and then not properly oiled.

Requiem
05-17-2012, 01:59 PM
Wait, I'm confused.

His username come from Ayn Rand. You have seen how he acts. Not the most colorful crayon in the box.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
05-17-2012, 02:44 PM
His username come from Ayn Rand. You have seen how he acts. Not the most colorful crayon in the box.

Now you're calling him a crayon??

BAN HIM!

Seriously, Galt, you call people names ALL THE ****ING TIME. Classic "can dish it out but can't take it" weak sauce.

Also, didn't you say you'd be gone til July?

So you're a crybaby AND a hypocrite? You and Bob should get together and teabag each other.

DarkHorse30
05-27-2012, 01:25 PM
http://thepoliticalcarnival.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/teabagger2.jpg

What do you call her?

A feminist/lesbian? She definitely has the Hillary bone structure for it....

Blueflame
05-27-2012, 03:01 PM
A feminist/lesbian? She definitely has the Hillary bone structure for it....

You'd have to have X-ray vision to see any bone structure past that hat and all the tea bags.

Bronco Yoda
05-27-2012, 10:19 PM
I love Football. But I love my boys more.

They play Baseball.

razorwire77
05-28-2012, 12:51 AM

http://www.reactionface.info/sites/default/files/images/1310566609761.jpg

SPORTSWRITER
05-28-2012, 04:04 AM
Mayweather doesn't get hit and he's still stupid. Can you imagine how bad he would be later in life if he took a bunch of haymakers to the face?

You mean, like Muhamed Ali? It saddens me everythime I see Ali on tv. Always such an out-going (some say loud-mouth) character, but now the man can hardly speak or move around without assistance!

colonelbeef
05-28-2012, 06:38 AM
lol. hell no.

Too much money to be made.

bowtown
05-28-2012, 07:07 AM

http://chanceplus1.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Michele-Bachmann-Republican-Presidential-Candidate-Mouth-Wide-Open.jpg

Bacchus
05-28-2012, 07:22 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/ct-met-kass-0504-20120504,0,4611577.column

The bone-shattering truth: U.S. football is doomed

Junior Seau`s apparent suicide drives the point home

<table cellspacing="0"> <tbody> <tr> <td>http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2012-05/69745450.jpg Mourners pay respects at a memorial outside Junior Seau`s beach home Thursday in Oceanside, Calif. (Sandy Huffaker, Getty photo / May 3, 2012)
</td></tr></tbody></table>

John Kass May 4, 2012

With the apparent suicide of NFL (http://www.chicagotribune.com/topic/sports/football/national-football-league-ORSPT000007.topic) great Junior Seau (http://www.chicagotribune.com/topic/sports/football/junior-seau-PESPT006603.topic), who played 20 years in the world`s most violently glamorous sport, American football is dying.

It`s about time. The nationally televised gambling and meat-rendering factory cannot survive without new players.

And the parents of future players are asking themselves this:

Is football worth it for my child?

We`re just days after Seau`s apparent suicide, so we don`t know the reason. But his death followed the suicides of proud and strong-willed men like Chicago Bears (http://chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears) great Dave Duerson and others after they suffered head trauma and struggled with long-term problems such as dementia (http://www.chicagotribune.com/topic/health/diseases-illnesses/alzheimers-disease-HEDAI000007.topic) and depression.

I loved to watch Duerson play. I remember how we`d cheer and bark like dogs when he`d put the hat on somebody and lay them out. And then I look at that photo the one that`s most often reprinted, the one after he retired, his eyes not completely focused, the look of fear on his face as if he were lost and I feel sick.

I loved football. I played it in high school and my brothers played it and my uncles and cousins. Our Uncle Nick died in the Canadian League from a head injury (http://www.chicagotribune.com/topic/health/injuries-wounds/head-injuries-HEINW00009.topic), and still we played. Another cousin played 12 years in the NFL and is the wittiest guy I know. But that Duerson photo haunts me, and I`ve heard from others out there who feel sick and guilty too.

And still kids are signed up to play a game designed to punish the human body, and the brain.

So why not make it simple and just give the kids packs of cigarettes instead?

Or you might encourage them to beat their brains out as prizefighters. Fight promoters, like NFL teams, are always looking for fresh beef. Imagine cheering for your son in the ring as he dodges left hooks and throws that counter right, crunching the other fighter`s temple.

Isn`t that what we cheer when there`s a big hit on NFL Sundays? And are we not entertained?

At least prizefighting isn`t sold as apple pie and the American way. Prizefighting is about violent men wanting to get paid, and some would do it for free, even if it were illegal, just to find out who`s the toughest.

They`d gather on empty factory floors or in alleys, just to see, just to watch, just as men would still play football for free.

If you don`t know this, then you don`t understand the human animal. But this isn`t anthropology. We`re discussing football as a business at a crossroads.

America now knows about head injuries, and the headhunter bounties issued in New Orleans, and all those splendid athletes torn up each week, their bodies ruined.

We understand it even as we watch, fat guys on couches staring at those big flat-screen TVs, drinking beer and eating fatty sandwiches and wings, our guts protruding while we debate which players are gutless, just as we`ve been taught by some of the screamers on sports talk radio.

Are sports journalists aware of the conflict? Of course they`re aware of it. And the best sportswriters, folks I respect and read and listen to on the radio every day, periodically talk about how to save the game.

But can football be saved if parents prevent theirs sons from playing?

No.

Perhaps football could be saved if the rules were changed, but football doesn`t have the will to change.

Maybe if the face masks were removed, guys wouldn`t lead with their heads as much. But then you`d see smashed bloody noses on high-definition TV. And how do you sell product with nostrils full of blood?

They could eliminate substitutions and go back to the old-style game with players playing both offense and defense, and make other tweaks, like allowing defensive backs to use their hands up and down the field. But then the sport would be back in high tops, clunky, looking like 1958, and it wouldn`t be as spectacular.

What the NFL owners wanted was high-impact spectacular play and touchdowns to sell tickets, and they got what they wanted, and bought it with the bodies and brains of their players.

Of course, not all football men receive head injuries. The football guys who keep their brains intact are the bookies. They make the money.

If you think football is popular simply because of the way the game is played, you`re wrong. It is popular because Americans can bet it easily, and I`m told they`re betting like never before. And with all that money at stake, the gamblers will fight to keep it.

These days the bookies are going wild in Chicago and every other city. The injury reports and the point spreads are the core of the game within the game. The point spread was invented in Chicago. And though the betting line is now officially set in Las Vegas, I figure Chicago still keeps its fingers on the points.

When football finally disappears, perhaps the bookies can entertain us with a new reality TV show:

We take two bookies and have them face each other while straddling a log suspended about 6 feet off the ground. Then we fill two socks with sand and let them club each other in the head until one falls off.

It could be wildly successful.

Just bet on it.

tsiguy96
05-28-2012, 07:26 AM
the bigger worry is whether this NFL concussion thing bankrupts the league, or if congress decides to play big brother and tell people they are not allowed to play the sport of football as it currently is.

bowtown
05-28-2012, 07:28 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/ct-met-kass-0504-20120504,0,4611577.column

The bone-shattering truth: U.S. football is doomed

Junior Seau`s apparent suicide drives the point home

<table cellspacing="0"> <tbody> <tr> <td>http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2012-05/69745450.jpg Mourners pay respects at a memorial outside Junior Seau`s beach home Thursday in Oceanside, Calif. (Sandy Huffaker, Getty photo / May 3, 2012)
</td></tr></tbody></table>

John Kass May 4, 2012

With the apparent suicide of NFL (http://www.chicagotribune.com/topic/sports/football/national-football-league-ORSPT000007.topic) great Junior Seau (http://www.chicagotribune.com/topic/sports/football/junior-seau-PESPT006603.topic), who played 20 years in the world`s most violently glamorous sport, American football is dying.

It`s about time. The nationally televised gambling and meat-rendering factory cannot survive without new players.

And the parents of future players are asking themselves this:

Is football worth it for my child?

We`re just days after Seau`s apparent suicide, so we don`t know the reason. But his death followed the suicides of proud and strong-willed men like Chicago Bears (http://chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears) great Dave Duerson and others after they suffered head trauma and struggled with long-term problems such as dementia (http://www.chicagotribune.com/topic/health/diseases-illnesses/alzheimers-disease-HEDAI000007.topic) and depression.

I loved to watch Duerson play. I remember how we`d cheer and bark like dogs when he`d put the hat on somebody and lay them out. And then I look at that photo the one that`s most often reprinted, the one after he retired, his eyes not completely focused, the look of fear on his face as if he were lost and I feel sick.

I loved football. I played it in high school and my brothers played it and my uncles and cousins. Our Uncle Nick died in the Canadian League from a head injury (http://www.chicagotribune.com/topic/health/injuries-wounds/head-injuries-HEINW00009.topic), and still we played. Another cousin played 12 years in the NFL and is the wittiest guy I know. But that Duerson photo haunts me, and I`ve heard from others out there who feel sick and guilty too.

And still kids are signed up to play a game designed to punish the human body, and the brain.

So why not make it simple and just give the kids packs of cigarettes instead?

Or you might encourage them to beat their brains out as prizefighters. Fight promoters, like NFL teams, are always looking for fresh beef. Imagine cheering for your son in the ring as he dodges left hooks and throws that counter right, crunching the other fighter`s temple.

Isn`t that what we cheer when there`s a big hit on NFL Sundays? And are we not entertained?

At least prizefighting isn`t sold as apple pie and the American way. Prizefighting is about violent men wanting to get paid, and some would do it for free, even if it were illegal, just to find out who`s the toughest.

They`d gather on empty factory floors or in alleys, just to see, just to watch, just as men would still play football for free.

If you don`t know this, then you don`t understand the human animal. But this isn`t anthropology. We`re discussing football as a business at a crossroads.

America now knows about head injuries, and the headhunter bounties issued in New Orleans, and all those splendid athletes torn up each week, their bodies ruined.

We understand it even as we watch, fat guys on couches staring at those big flat-screen TVs, drinking beer and eating fatty sandwiches and wings, our guts protruding while we debate which players are gutless, just as we`ve been taught by some of the screamers on sports talk radio.

Are sports journalists aware of the conflict? Of course they`re aware of it. And the best sportswriters, folks I respect and read and listen to on the radio every day, periodically talk about how to save the game.

But can football be saved if parents prevent theirs sons from playing?

No.

Perhaps football could be saved if the rules were changed, but football doesn`t have the will to change.

Maybe if the face masks were removed, guys wouldn`t lead with their heads as much. But then you`d see smashed bloody noses on high-definition TV. And how do you sell product with nostrils full of blood?

They could eliminate substitutions and go back to the old-style game with players playing both offense and defense, and make other tweaks, like allowing defensive backs to use their hands up and down the field. But then the sport would be back in high tops, clunky, looking like 1958, and it wouldn`t be as spectacular.

What the NFL owners wanted was high-impact spectacular play and touchdowns to sell tickets, and they got what they wanted, and bought it with the bodies and brains of their players.

Of course, not all football men receive head injuries. The football guys who keep their brains intact are the bookies. They make the money.

If you think football is popular simply because of the way the game is played, you`re wrong. It is popular because Americans can bet it easily, and I`m told they`re betting like never before. And with all that money at stake, the gamblers will fight to keep it.

These days the bookies are going wild in Chicago and every other city. The injury reports and the point spreads are the core of the game within the game. The point spread was invented in Chicago. And though the betting line is now officially set in Las Vegas, I figure Chicago still keeps its fingers on the points.

When football finally disappears, perhaps the bookies can entertain us with a new reality TV show:

We take two bookies and have them face each other while straddling a log suspended about 6 feet off the ground. Then we fill two socks with sand and let them club each other in the head until one falls off.

It could be wildly successful.

Just bet on it.

I'll sum up this article:

"I don't watch or understand football and therefore no one should be able to either... and I'm going to call them barbarians until they stop."

Willynowei
05-28-2012, 07:42 AM
Although an economic conservative at heart who likes to argue w/ people on the mane here or there for ****s and giggles, i have never in my life cared much for politics.

But damn it if they touch the sport i love, whichever political party is for "changing" football, is not going to receive a single vote from me, my kids, my grand kids or their kids.

Don't they ever dare touch football, i don't care if people are getting killed out there.

houghtam
05-28-2012, 08:05 AM
Although an economic conservative at heart who likes to argue w/ people on the mane here or there for ****s and giggles, i have never in my life cared much for politics.

But damn it if they touch the sport i love, whichever political party is for "changing" football, is not going to receive a single vote from me, my kids, my grand kids or their kids.

Don't they ever dare touch football, i don't care if people are getting killed out there.

Wow. I hope this is hyperbole. And I thought single-issue voters about important issues were bad. If football is that big a deal to you, I feel great pity for you.

Bacchus
05-28-2012, 02:24 PM

It won't be the politicians it will be the courts. When these lawsuits start coming down there will be huge changes.

DHallblows
05-28-2012, 08:26 PM

Jesus, you're a crazy person...

bombay
05-28-2012, 08:33 PM
Jesus, you're a crazy person...

And not very bright, but quite contentious. It's best for everyone if no one quotes him. That's generally true of anyone who creates an identity from that foolish book.