PDA

View Full Version : Ricky Williams thinks all this NFL/concussion stuff is baloney

Gort
05-17-2012, 06:37 AM
"I'm not a really big fan of the way the NFL is handling concussions," he said. "Maybe I'm stupid or whatever, but to me if I got a concussion, if I could see straight and I could carry a football then I'm not telling anybody."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-ravens-insider-ricky-williams-theres-no-link-between-football-and-concussions-20120516,0,1205312.story

But Williams -- who said he embraces being called "weird" -- did concede that, "Ten years from now, I might be completely walking on the street, scratching my head and yelling out profanities, but right now, I feel fine. I donít even feel a little bit of the effects of playing football."

55CrushEm
05-17-2012, 06:45 AM
That's cause pot smokers like him are less prone to concussions......cause their brains are enveloped in a squishy bong-residue glaze.....providing extra protection.

Chris
05-17-2012, 07:21 AM
Bong Residue Glaze Rigatoni. Mmm good.

Rohirrim
05-17-2012, 08:11 AM
:puff:

Bacchus
05-17-2012, 08:53 AM
That's cause pot smokers like him are less prone to concussions......cause their brains are enveloped in a squishy bong-residue glaze.....providing extra protection.

LOL that is good.

Shananahan
05-17-2012, 09:16 AM
You gotta love Ricky.

Bigdawg26
05-17-2012, 09:16 AM
That dude is just plain weird!

fdf
05-17-2012, 10:53 AM

How would Ricky know if he had a concussion or not?

BroncoMan4ever
05-17-2012, 11:35 AM
sadly i agree with the guy. i am sick of this crap from former players. guess what, you knew then that it was a contact sport and players in contact sports tend to suffer injuries. now who doesn't know that an injury suffered early in life could affect you later in life. you agreed to play a contact sport for money. no one made these guys play.

it is a money grab and i wish they'd all go away and shut the hell up.

oubronco
05-17-2012, 11:37 AM
Where's jhns with his mumbojumbo BS

Shananahan
05-17-2012, 01:07 PM
sadly i agree with the guy. i am sick of this crap from former players. guess what, you knew then that it was a contact sport and players in contact sports tend to suffer injuries. now who doesn't know that an injury suffered early in life could affect you later in life. you agreed to play a contact sport for money. no one made these guys play.

it is a money grab and i wish they'd all go away and shut the hell up.
Yeah. I'm supportive of their calls to improve the safety equipment and treatment of injuries, as well as the requests for increased health support of former players. The lawsuit stuff, however, doesn't really fly with me.

Tombstone RJ
05-17-2012, 03:49 PM

:strong:

two words for players like Seau: Medical Marijuana. ^5

BroncoBuff
05-17-2012, 03:59 PM
"Maybe I'm stupid but. .. "

He should have stopped right there. What a dope.

ColoradoDarin
05-17-2012, 04:04 PM
Maybe he's on to something.... if only there was a study.

Study shows NFL players live longer. (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/story/2012-05-08/Study-shows-NFL-players-live-longer/54847564/1)

Oh

Do football players die younger?

A records-based study of retired players conducted by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) concludes that they have a much lower death rate than men in the general population, contrasting the notion that football players don't live as long.

BroncoBuff
05-17-2012, 05:04 PM

[URL="http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/story/2012-05-08/Study-shows-NFL-players-live-longer/5484756h]

I think life and quality of life are different things. 30+ years of diligent athleticism sets your body up for wellness late in life.

But I am not a doctor ... let's get Broncen-Stein in here, he knows this

Shananahan
05-17-2012, 05:10 PM
The quality of life enjoyed by NFL players really seems like a bummer.

gyldenlove
05-17-2012, 05:35 PM

Study shows NFL players live longer. (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/story/2012-05-08/Study-shows-NFL-players-live-longer/54847564/1)

Oh

Meh, studying a cohort of people most of whom are under 50 to find out their average life span is at best not good science and at worst fraudulent.
It will be more interesting to see how the players who played between 1980 and 2010 perform since they played under more modern circumstances with much more violent hits.