PDA

View Full Version : Irons

Mogulseeker
05-16-2012, 03:18 PM
I'm looking at new ones. I want your opinion - pro irons or improvement irons.

bronco militia
05-16-2012, 03:21 PM
TIRE

http://i551.photobucket.com/albums/ii462/Paedok/TIREIRON.png

Rohirrim
05-16-2012, 03:32 PM
If your handicap is about 3 or better, pro. Otherwise, it doesn't matter.

Mogulseeker
05-16-2012, 03:37 PM
If your handicap is about 3 or better, pro. Otherwise, it doesn't matter.

Obviously, my handicap is greater than 3.

Kaylore
05-16-2012, 03:49 PM
I have this in black. I brought it into my marriage. It has never failed me.

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Black-Decker-Cord-Reel-Clothing-Iron/3907121/product.html

http://ak2.ostkcdn.com/images/products/P11944469.jpg

Drunken.Broncoholic
05-16-2012, 03:53 PM
Obviously, my handicap is greater than 3.

I wouldn't go for the Pros then. Margin of error is slimmer than an anorexic.

Mogulseeker
05-16-2012, 03:58 PM
I don't know my handicap, but if I had to guess, it'd probably be around 16. But I'm rapidly getting better, because of all the free rounds I get as a DU alum at the Highlands Ranch golf club, and all the free lessons from the DU golf coaches.

Mogulseeker
05-16-2012, 04:00 PM

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Black-Decker-Cord-Reel-Clothing-Iron/3907121/product.html

I spent like $300 on a clothes iron my first year in the Navy. Twas a necessary investment.

I just bought a steam press, too.

orange skier
05-16-2012, 04:01 PM
Taylor Made....can't go wrong. EBay....can't go wrong.

Smiling Assassin27
05-16-2012, 04:03 PM
I say...Up The Irons.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_fCrn0OK-SBk/TODU8odtMJI/AAAAAAAAB5E/tOIVjrF85Gk/s1600/up_the_irons.jpg

Mogulseeker
05-16-2012, 04:04 PM
Taylor Made....can't go wrong. EBay....can't go wrong.

I'm thinking Cobra AMP...

I'm pissed off that Scratch Golf doesn't make lefties.

Just curious, does anyone know of a custom fit company that makes custom fit, pro-style irons here in america - similar to Scratch Golf?

Cmac821
05-16-2012, 04:07 PM
What about Warrior Golf are they USA?

Drunken.Broncoholic
05-16-2012, 04:11 PM
I'm a lefty. How tall are you? Might be worth getting fitted for them also if youre a stump or giant.

Mogulseeker
05-16-2012, 04:13 PM
I'm a lefty. How tall are you? Might be worth getting fitted for them also if youre a stump or giant.

I'm 5'7" but the length from my wrist to the ground is the same as my 6'3" uncle and my 5'11" grandfather.

We all use standard length clubs, but I could possibly benefit from -.25 because I play pretty choked down on the grip.

Drunken.Broncoholic
05-16-2012, 04:14 PM
I'm 5'7" but the length from my wrist to the ground is the same as my 6'3" uncle and my 5'11" grandfather.

We all use standard length clubs, but I could possibly benefit from -.25 because I play pretty choked down on the grip.

Ha! Ya just do some research around the net on reviews. Can get good ones on the cheap.

Mogulseeker
05-16-2012, 04:15 PM
Warrior golf sucks, BTW.

My best experience had been with Callaway and Cobra... I played my buddy's Adams wedges the other day and they were great.

I'd like to get some purely custom irons though.

Drunken.Broncoholic
05-16-2012, 04:17 PM
Warrior golf sucks, BTW.

My best experience had been with Callaway and Cobra... I played my buddy's Adams wedges the other day and they were great.

I'd like to get some purely custom irons though.

I got the calloway X22's and love them. The sound they make is crisp.

broncosteven
05-16-2012, 04:18 PM
Jeremy Irons has had a solid career. He would make a good devious guest on Downtown Abby.

Mogulseeker
05-16-2012, 04:20 PM
Pro irons are sexy, plus I've heard that pro irons force the golfer to adapt their game and become a better golfer, especially if your mechanics are already good.

As I said earlier, I have golfed with the woman's golf coach at the University of Denver. She said my form and swing are very good, and what I need to be focusing on is the divot - too much on the down swing and not enough on the up swing. I rarely make a shot that is bad due to being too fat. My bad shots tend to be too shallow.

Mogulseeker
05-16-2012, 04:22 PM
I got the calloway X22's and love them. The sound they make is crisp.

I thought about getting some last year. Too pricey. They're probably a lot cheaper in 2012, though.

Drunken.Broncoholic
05-16-2012, 04:38 PM
I thought about getting some last year. Too pricey. They're probably a lot cheaper in 2012, though.

Ya a buddy got the 24s and said he liked his 22's better. He's got money to waste that bastage

Dr. Broncenstein
05-16-2012, 04:42 PM
Spend a little extra and get fitted for a set of clubs at a custom golf shop.

GreatBronco16
05-16-2012, 04:44 PM
go to your local golf store and get fitted. Then hit all the brands you can till you find the ones you like the most. Then buy them.

I use TaylorMade everything. I'm still on the R7 irons which have been good for me, but it's way past time for an upgrade. I normally try to go for the previous years model if I don't feel like forking over the extra 200-400 bucks for the newest model.

ak1971
05-16-2012, 04:45 PM

you are weirder than I thought...an iron? never thought of using that. :~ohyah!:

Mogulseeker
05-16-2012, 05:15 PM
Spend a little extra and get fitted for a set of clubs at a custom golf shop.

Oh, I'm definitely going to do that. I'm thinking going for pro irons because I can "grow into them" so to speak.

I was going to go with Scratch Golf, because the clubs are so sexy, but they don't make lefties.

Does anyone know of a purely custom iron shop similar to Scratch Golf?

I hate using hybrids, so I'm looking at 3-PW then maybe a 52, 56, 64...

orangemonkey
05-16-2012, 05:24 PM
How about a bit of both? Check out the Titelist AP2's. They are forged and have cavity which widens the sweet spot to provide a good balance of correction without sacrificing solid hit/distance. They are also beautiful and setup like a blade from the top. I've played all of the best clubs in the market from Ping, Mizuno, Callaway, etc and these are my favorite all-time clubs. Definitely head to Golfsmith and hit them all! Once you decide, get them fitted.

LRtagger
05-16-2012, 05:25 PM
I just bought a set of Nike Machspeed SQs. They are in the mail should be here Friday. I will let you know how they play. $285 shipped for the set brand new.

I have heard great things about Taylormade Rocketballz, but they were too much for me - $600.

GreatBronco16
05-16-2012, 05:26 PM
Oh, I'm definitely going to do that. I'm thinking going for pro irons because I can "grow into them" so to speak.

I was going to go with Scratch Golf, because the clubs are so sexy, but they don't make lefties.

Does anyone know of a purely custom iron shop similar to Scratch Golf?

I hate using hybrids, so I'm looking at 3-PW then maybe a 52, 56, 64...

Well I'm not in Colorado, but a quick bing search found this place.

http://www.dlancegolf.com/custom-clubs.htm

orange skier
05-16-2012, 06:05 PM
Smurfer: the reason your tendancy is to miss with a shallow shot is because you choke down too much. Also, by choking down, you make a six iron into seven iron and an eight iron into a nine iron, etc, etc. Learn to grip the club correctly. practice, baby, practice

Dukes
05-16-2012, 06:11 PM

Just curious, does anyone know of a custom fit company that makes custom fit, pro-style irons here in america - similar to Scratch Golf?

I'm not familiar with Scratch Golf, but I have a couple clubs of Dimension Z. They are local and can custom fit clubs to you.

http://www.dimensionz.com/

If I were getting new clubs, I'd go to the PGA store or Golfsmith and get a custom fit Taylor Made set.

Dr. Broncenstein
05-16-2012, 06:21 PM
Should be able to get a fitted set of Pings just about anywhere.

broncosteven
05-16-2012, 08:29 PM
you are weirder than I thought...an iron? never thought of using that. :~ohyah!:

Nothing like some hot candle wax, spanking, and a hot iron wielded by dwarf strippers to do some serious "wedging in the rough".

True story Mighty Smurf.

I went out and bought a set of Irons on a Friday about 5/6 years ago. The next day I found a complete set of clubs with a decent lightweight bag on my front porch. The bag was cleaned out like someone was giving it away. It was a good set to at the time, way better than what I bought plus it had drivers in there. everything but a putter.

I ended up taking the set of irons back and keeping the money and used the free set up until my neck got hosed.

I still do not know how or why that happened. I wonder if a neighbor didnt see me bringing the new set in and wanted to get rid of his old set.

Bronco Yoda
05-17-2012, 01:51 AM

They let lefties on the course now? What's next Gingers? What's this world coming too...

Mogulseeker
05-17-2012, 02:42 AM
They let lefties on the course now? What's next Gingers? What's this world coming too...

Yup. Started with Phil Mickelson. Continues with Bubba Watson.

Pony Boy
05-17-2012, 06:52 AM
I'm an 8 handicap and play 4 times a week and just bought a new set of Adams Menís IDEA a12 OS irons with the 4, 5&6 hybrids and 7-PW are cavity back. I was playing Callaway X-18's. The Adams are awesome and the hybrids for mid handicappers are almost a must.

jonny1
05-17-2012, 07:01 AM
Mizuno makes some game improvement clubs that are forged, I have a set of JPX-800 Pros, and love them.

pdaddy
05-17-2012, 07:52 AM

Scratch Golf does make lefty clubs. Give them a call.

Mogulseeker
05-17-2012, 09:45 AM
Scratch Golf does make lefty clubs. Give them a call.

I did about a week ago... had this response:

hi nathan

We do not have any plans on coming out with lefty irons any time soon, sorry.

What lofts are you looking to replace?

Where do you play most of your golf?

Please let me know. paul

All the best,

Paul Friedrich
Vice President

DENVERDUI55
05-17-2012, 11:23 AM
Get fitted for some decent clubs that aren't full on big shovels down there but aren't tour. Remember it's the indian not the arrow. Your swing will determine everything not the irons.

Mogulseeker
05-18-2012, 01:18 PM
Anyone have any experience with the TaylorMade burners? I got fitted today and the guy recommended those for the price...

That or the Cobra AMPs which are quite a bit more expensive.

Irish Stout
05-18-2012, 01:31 PM
Anyone have any experience with the TaylorMade burners? I got fitted today and the guy recommended those for the price...

I played a few rounds with the 2009 burner irons awhile ago. I loved the way the ball popped off the club face.

Now that you've been fitted, I'd swing everything I could at Golfsmith and search for Demo days at local courses. Now is the time to try as many irons as you can. When you've got something that just feels right, then you'll know.

Mogulseeker
05-18-2012, 02:01 PM
I played a few rounds with the 2009 burner irons awhile ago. I loved the way the ball popped off the club face.

Now that you've been fitted, I'd swing everything I could at Golfsmith and search for Demo days at local courses. Now is the time to try as many irons as you can. When you've got something that just feels right, then you'll know.

The closest Golfsmith to here is at Park Meadows.

I went to the Colorado Ski & Golf on Wadsworth in Littleton.

Mogulseeker
05-18-2012, 02:07 PM
I want the Cobras, but I think I'm going to go with the TaylorMade's because they're half as expensive.

Next line of discussion: Graphite vs. Steel shafts.

GreatBronco16
05-18-2012, 02:40 PM
I want the Cobras, but I think I'm going to go with the TaylorMade's because they're half as expensive.

They should be able to tell you which ones you need based on the fitting. Your swing speed has a lot to do with it, also has a lot to do with what flex of the shaft you will need.

DENVERDUI55
05-18-2012, 02:59 PM

Steel without a doubt in irons.

Mogulseeker
05-18-2012, 03:49 PM
They should be able to tell you which ones you need based on the fitting. Your swing speed has a lot to do with it, also has a lot to do with what flex of the shaft you will need.

I have a very fast swing speed over 90mph = stiff flex

Vegas_Bronco
05-18-2012, 03:57 PM
Cobras made me a better golfer no doubt...but relying on a club to get itdone is always weaksauce.

Uncle Bill
05-18-2012, 04:16 PM

I bought a set of Burner 2.0's a few months ago, and like them a lot. The strength of the lofts is kind of ridiculous, especially since I'm a bit of a long hitter in the first place, but they're an amazing deal right now. I got mine on sale for $350 (down from $700). I really wanted some Titleist Ap1's, but with the burners on sale, couldn't justify the $450 price difference. The burner 2.0's are nearly identical to the new Rocketballz, by the way, which are selling for $700. Plus, they come with the bonus of not having a stupid name like Rocketballz.

It sounds like I'm in a similar boat to you, in that I'm basically a bogey golfer who is quickly improving. I gave a little bit of thought to getting some pro-style irons and "growing into them", but ultimately decided it was a bad idea. I had to convince myself that this was a purchase that was going to keep me going for another 5-10 years, and then I would consider pro irons if my game warranted them. Even my stepdad, who is a low single-digit handicap, plays GI irons, and told me I was crazy if I didn't get something with a little forgiveness.

Good luck with your purchase. In all honesty, there are a lot of great clubs out there, and as long as you like what you're getting and the shafts/lengths/lies are a decent fit, you'll be fine...

HighCountryBronco
05-18-2012, 04:25 PM
I say...Up The Irons.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_fCrn0OK-SBk/TODU8odtMJI/AAAAAAAAB5E/tOIVjrF85Gk/s1600/up_the_irons.jpg

I would definitely go with these irons!:strong:

Houshyamama
05-18-2012, 05:04 PM
I've been using a set of MacGregor (before Golfsmith owned them) blades for the last 10 years or so. Thinking of getting some now Mizuno blades. If your handicap isn't below 5, don't even THINK of getting blades. Just get something easy to hit.

Are you going to be shaping your shots? Do you set up for a draw and actually hit one? No? Then don't get blades, you're just adding difficulty with no pay-off. Now if you end up becoming a scratch golfer, you can think about blades for sure. But you'll never get there if you get them now, because you'll give up due to frustration.

Don't get blades as a 15 handicapper.

Get the easy to hit, cavity-back, game improvement irons. You'll thank me.

Houshyamama
05-18-2012, 05:09 PM
I'm not familiar with Scratch Golf, but I have a couple clubs of Dimension Z. They are local and can custom fit clubs to you.

http://www.dimensionz.com/

If I were getting new clubs, I'd go to the PGA store or Golfsmith and get a custom fit Taylor Made set.

I had a set of Dimension Z's when I was younger. They go far, very far, but they are horribly inconsistent. I'd pick anything at Golfsmith over another set of those.

Mogulseeker
05-18-2012, 05:21 PM
I've been using a set of MacGregor (before Golfsmith owned them) blades for the last 10 years or so. Thinking of getting some now Mizuno blades. If your handicap isn't below 5, don't even THINK of getting blades. Just get something easy to hit.

Are you going to be shaping your shots? Do you set up for a draw and actually hit one? No? Then don't get blades, you're just adding difficulty with no pay-off. Now if you end up becoming a scratch golfer, you can think about blades for sure. But you'll never get there if you get them now, because you'll give up due to frustration.

Don't get blades as a 15 handicapper.

Get the easy to hit, cavity-back, game improvement irons. You'll thank me.

I've given up on the blades... every single fitter/coach I've talked to has advised against it.

Mogulseeker
05-18-2012, 05:30 PM
I bought a set of Burner 2.0's a few months ago, and like them a lot. The strength of the lofts is kind of ridiculous, especially since I'm a bit of a long hitter in the first place, but they're an amazing deal right now. I got mine on sale for $350 (down from $700). I really wanted some Titleist Ap1's, but with the burners on sale, couldn't justify the $450 price difference. The burner 2.0's are nearly identical to the new Rocketballz, by the way, which are selling for $700. Plus, they come with the bonus of not having a stupid name like Rocketballz.

It sounds like I'm in a similar boat to you, in that I'm basically a bogey golfer who is quickly improving. I gave a little bit of thought to getting some pro-style irons and "growing into them", but ultimately decided it was a bad idea. I had to convince myself that this was a purchase that was going to keep me going for another 5-10 years, and then I would consider pro irons if my game warranted them. Even my stepdad, who is a low single-digit handicap, plays GI irons, and told me I was crazy if I didn't get something with a little forgiveness.

Good luck with your purchase. In all honesty, there are a lot of great clubs out there, and as long as you like what you're getting and the shafts/lengths/lies are a decent fit, you'll be fine...

For me, it's the approach shots. I think I'd be pretty good... maybe not a scratch golfer, but pretty good if I could hit my fairway woods and long irons worth a damn.

Uncle Bill
05-18-2012, 06:44 PM
For me, it's the approach shots. I think I'd be pretty good... maybe not a scratch golfer, but pretty good if I could hit my fairway woods and long irons worth a damn.

I know your pain. From 175 and in, my game is pretty solid. Beyond that, it's a crapshoot--some days my swing is tuned-in, and some days it can be ugly. It's so much harder to hit the longer clubs consistently, and they're a lot less forgiving. The challenge is part of what makes golf so much fun, though...

rbackfactory80
05-18-2012, 07:06 PM
Don't buy blades. You're welcome.

TDmvp
05-18-2012, 07:11 PM
Don't buy blades. You're welcome.

what he said...

DENVERDUI55
05-18-2012, 07:56 PM
If you want to lower your handicap it all about short game. 60 percent of shots are 100 and in.

broncogary
05-18-2012, 07:58 PM
Steel without a doubt in irons.

This.

Houshyamama
05-18-2012, 08:40 PM
I've given up on the blades... every single fitter/coach I've talked to has advised against it.

^5

GreatBronco16
05-18-2012, 09:04 PM
I have a very fast swing speed over 90mph = stiff flex

Hmm, I swing around 85-90mph, sometimes a little slower if I'm having a bad day with control, and I use regular flex with steel shafts. I wouldn't go with the stiff flex unless you are consistantly swinging high 90s to 100+ which is insane speed to me.

Although I am thinking of going with graphite shafts next time I buy a new set. Only thing I don't like about it is they are normally more expensive so it might keep me away from them.

But really the best thing you can do is settle on about 3 different sets of irons and just go hit them. Then pick which ones you want and have them matched to what you were fitted at.

GreatBronco16
05-18-2012, 09:07 PM
Here are the TM burner 2.0 at ***** sporting goods. http://www.*****sportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12758671&cp=4406646.4413989.4414118

Well the marked out word is d1cks

TDmvp
05-18-2012, 09:19 PM
My 2 cents... and yea I know TL,DR :P

I bought a "new" to me set last year. Pieced together what I wanted basically.

I had been using a set I had bought as my first set like in 93 that was Wilson Staffs and they was pretty much blades. I hated them the longer I played them and basically couldn't hit the long irons at all it seemed.

But anyway , I wanted to make a set with no 3-5/6 and use nike cpr's as my long irons.
A guy at a little local mom and pop golf shop I called thought he had a set of Callaway Big Bertha irons that was only 6 through wedge and I went for it. When I got there the set ended up being 4 through wedge but he went ahead a gave me them for the price he quoted me. But I love them and they are cool as hell , they are 4-10 + wedge . Never seen a set with a 10 iron and even they I did get the Cprs that replace my 3-6 I find uses for both and still carry my long irons even tho I wasn't planning on it. The old dude who sold them to me told me I actually love these long irons after playing the clubs I had been using and he was dead on.

But anyway I got the cally irons and the nike cprs , with 2 trimetal fairway woods and my white hot Denver Broncos logo putter my GF got me and I still use my old driver just because it's basically brand new even tho it's 10 years old . It's a cobra offset Ti that was all the rage at one point and I just haven't found a good reason to replace it yet.

But if you look around you can piece together a killer set that does what you want for little of nothing. If you want new clubs always try to buy them right as the new ones come out... Like cars. I bought my cprs for like 89$ each and got 2 , where someone I play with bought 1 and paid 199 and you couldn't tell them apart besides different writing on the staff . We got them at the same place within weeks of each other and because I bought last years on clearance and he bought the new model he took it in the rear.

Mogulseeker
05-18-2012, 09:50 PM
^5

Just curious... would the Titleist CBs be considered blades?

They're forged, but they seem similar in construct to cast models.

That is, they're cavity-backed

DENVERDUI55
05-18-2012, 10:29 PM

Not blades technically but they are players irons not game improvement. I played blades for years now I play more of the smaller head cavity backs.

Mogulseeker
05-18-2012, 10:41 PM
Not blades technically but they are players irons not game improvement. I played blades for years now I play more of the smaller head cavity backs.

It's just that someone at DCB - an old financial type who can't play anymore - wants to unload a set on me pretty cheap (considering what they're worth).

ZONA
05-19-2012, 12:55 AM
Before buying new, check this site out. You can find sweet deals. Also, it's not just about the length of the club and being fitted for that, but you need to have your hand size measured also. Big hands need bigger grips.

http://www.2ndswing.com/

Mogulseeker
05-19-2012, 10:09 AM
I'm gonna grab the Titleist CBs because I can basically get them for free, and maybe get them fitted.

If they're absolutely horrible, I'm going with Cobra AMPs.

DENVERDUI55
05-19-2012, 10:25 AM
I'm gonna grab the Titleist CBs because I can basically get them for free, and maybe get them fitted.

If they're absolutely horrible, I'm going with Cobra AMPs.

They are good clubs just not as forgiving as some and there are several models of CB's which one are they? You should get a great deal for them I'd guess in the 100 to 200 range. They are forged and can be bent. If the shafts are wrong then you could have a spendy fix. I'm guessing they have true temper s300 or s400 in them which are S or X.

Mogulseeker
05-19-2012, 11:18 AM
They are good clubs just not as forgiving as some and there are several models of CB's which one are they? You should get a great deal for them I'd guess in the 100 to 200 range. They are forged and can be bent. If the shafts are wrong then you could have a spendy fix. I'm guessing they have true temper s300 or s400 in them which are S or X.

I should be alright with stiff flexes, right? I got a very fast swing speed.

DENVERDUI55
05-19-2012, 11:24 AM
I should be alright with stiff flexes, right? I got a very fast swing speed.

I couldn't tell you over the internet. Hit them and if you like your ball flight go with them.

Houshyamama
05-19-2012, 11:33 AM

I have never hit them, but they don't look too forgiving. Best way to find out is to test them. Of course when you test them look for overall performance, don't make your decision based on that one awesome pure shot where you really hit the sweet spot. Blades and other thin clubs feel AWESOME when you hit them just right, but you will hit it quite poorly if off center. Look for overall performance and you'll find some clubs that you will be VERY happy with.

What's more important, hitting a couple badass, pure, between the screws darts? Or shooting 5 strokes lower?

DENVERDUI55
05-19-2012, 11:38 AM
The big difference in players vs game improvement is the curve and drop in distance on mi****s.

Houshyamama
05-19-2012, 11:50 AM
The big difference in players vs game improvement is the curve and drop in distance on mi****s.

mi****s

?

Dedhed
05-19-2012, 12:29 PM
Go on Ebay and get a set of Taylor Made LTs. Try to get a 2003 set, the LT2 is not the same at all. I was in the golf biz for awhile and hit every club out there. The LT is the best combination of feel/forgiveness that ever came on the market. They're workable, offer plenty of feedback, but are very forgiving.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LH-Taylor-Made-RAC-LT-Iron-Set-3-PW-w-Rifle-6-0-STIFF-Steel-Shafts-NO-RESERVE-/261025003750?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash=item3cc64d78e6

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Taylormade-RAC-LT-Irons-LH-4-PW-Steel-Rifle-6-0-Stiff-Shafts-/280884009641?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash=item4165fddaa9

The rifle shafts may be too much, but if you keep your eyes out you'll find something in great condition for less than $200.

PS- "Forged" and "Game improvement" are mutually exclusive terms and are not opposites. There are forged game improvement irons and there are cast blades.

Forged vs Cast only speaks to the way the clubhead is made, not to how it was designed to play.

Houshyamama
05-19-2012, 12:53 PM
Go on Ebay and get a set of Taylor Made LTs. Try to get a 2003 set, the LT2 is not the same at all. I was in the golf biz for awhile and hit every club out there. The LT is the best combination of feel/forgiveness that ever came on the market. They're workable, offer plenty of feedback, but are very forgiving.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LH-Taylor-Made-RAC-LT-Iron-Set-3-PW-w-Rifle-6-0-STIFF-Steel-Shafts-NO-RESERVE-/261025003750?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash=item3cc64d78e6

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Taylormade-RAC-LT-Irons-LH-4-PW-Steel-Rifle-6-0-Stiff-Shafts-/280884009641?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash=item4165fddaa9

The rifle shafts may be too much, but if you keep your eyes out you'll find something in great condition for less than $200.

PS- "Forged" and "Game improvement" are mutually exclusive terms and are not opposites. There are forged game improvement irons and there are cast blades.

Forged vs Cast only speaks to the way the clubhead is made, not to how it was designed to play.

Very true.

DENVERDUI55
05-19-2012, 01:13 PM
mi****s

?

Hmm mis hits is a bad word? LOL Good post on cast vs forged. Forged can be bend quite a bit where cast can't be adjusted much. All this hoopla and hype from all these clubs and it still comes down to the indian. I laugh at the rocktball and the r whatever taylormades that claimed 10 yards farther through each club. They are like that because they adjusted the lofts stronger.

Mogulseeker
05-19-2012, 01:45 PM
Dammit, I need to make this decision...

I got my finger on the button on a great deal on a Cobra AMP set - Driver, 3W 3-PW.

Pull the trigger?

Houshyamama
05-19-2012, 03:57 PM
Hmm mis hits is a bad word? LOL Good post on cast vs forged. Forged can be bend quite a bit where cast can't be adjusted much. All this hoopla and hype from all these clubs and it still comes down to the indian. I laugh at the rocktball and the r whatever taylormades that claimed 10 yards farther through each club. They are like that because they adjusted the lofts stronger.

I had my 3 wood for 13 years until I replaced it last month with a rocketballz 13 degree. 3 woods aren't regulated the same way drivers are so they can make the faces crazy hot. I get 10 yards more out of it, it's no joke dude.

sgbfan
05-19-2012, 04:31 PM
Just got my clubs stolen so I was in a similar bind. 14-16 handic.ap, (when playing regularly). I wanted to upgrade in about a year, but didn't have the money right away. Got extremely lucky and got a steal for some used nike victory red forged muscle backs. I think they'll be great for what I need. Still need to get them fitted though.

bombay
05-19-2012, 05:02 PM
Floyd.

DENVERDUI55
05-19-2012, 06:16 PM
I had my 3 wood for 13 years until I replaced it last month with a rocketballz 13 degree. 3 woods aren't regulated the same way drivers are so they can make the faces crazy hot. I get 10 yards more out of it, it's no joke dude.

A 13 year old club is old. They have been upgraded quite a bit since then. No doubt you hit it farther. Now the difference in rocketball and the burner is cosmetics to sell clubs. Biggest

Houshyamama
05-19-2012, 06:33 PM
A 13 year old club is old. They have been upgraded quite a bit since then. No doubt you hit it farther. Now the difference in rocketball and the burner is cosmetics to sell clubs. Biggest

I hit them both in the bay and the ball speed off the club head is higher with the rocketballz. Sorry dude, it's farther.

Dr. Broncenstein
05-19-2012, 07:42 PM
You know what really matters? Being able to hit a 4 foot putt, when it counts. That's why no matter how far and pretty I can hit the ball (very far, very pretty), my dad kicks the shiat out of me on the score card.

Dedhed
05-19-2012, 09:24 PM

TM is a marketing machine, but they do make quality stuff if you sort though the chaff.

It is funny that they market the RBZ irons as ten yards longer. Of course they are, they're 4 degrees stronger pretty much throughout the set. They slapped a "9" on an 8-iron. The general public doesn't have a clue though, and TM knows it.

Dedhed
05-19-2012, 09:29 PM
I hit them both in the bay and the ball speed off the club head is higher with the rocketballz. Sorry dude, it's farther.
Same loft, same shaft, same length, same face angle?

Houshyamama
05-19-2012, 09:38 PM
Same loft, same shaft, same length, same face angle?

San degree and shaft, I can't speak for the others. I have a few pro friends who agree with me, there's a lot of skepticism out there though. It's understandable, I was a skeptic as well.

Dedhed
05-19-2012, 09:53 PM
San degree and shaft, I can't speak for the others. I have a few pro friends who agree with me, there's a lot of skepticism out there though. It's understandable, I was a skeptic as well.

I'm not really a skeptic, and in the end it doesn't really matter. If you hit the ball further, straighter, and have more confidence in the club, its worth it.

Mogulseeker
05-19-2012, 10:03 PM
I bought a whole new bag - Cobras AMPs.

AMP Driver
AMP 3W
AMP 4-GW

I also have a Callaway X-forged Sand Wedge and Odyssey Putter.

They tested my swing speed... turns out I actually have an even faster swing speed than I thought - 115-125mph. They got me stiff steel shafts, -.25 length, and a slightly upright lie.

Can't wait to put these things to use.

Dedhed
05-19-2012, 10:06 PM

AMP Driver
AMP 3W
AMP 4-GW

They tested my swing speed... turns out I actually have an even faster swing speed than I thought - 115-125mph. They got me stiff steel shafts, -.25 length, and a slightly upright lie.

Congrats on the new setup. Being properly fit is a huge component, and it sounds like you were. Now get out there and make some birdies!

Mogulseeker
05-22-2012, 08:01 PM
I think I just realized to time value of golf equipment. When I bought the Irons for $700, they signed me up for their email list. The first email I get from them is their "super savings event" - they're dropping the price of the Cobra Irons from $700 to $600. Good thing irons aren't stocks, lol.

One thing I have noticed with these irons, compared to my cheaper ones, is that they're more consistant with distance. They go a little longer, too, but not as much as I thought.

ColoradoBuff
05-23-2012, 08:25 AM
forged is the way to go

ghwk
05-23-2012, 09:29 AM
I'm really happy with the Adams set I bought year ago.

Grover
05-23-2012, 09:47 AM

AMP Driver
AMP 3W
AMP 4-GW

Congratulations on the new sticks. You'll love them I'm sure. As others have said, practicing your short game is the fastest road to improvement and lowering your scores. You might want to check out scorgolf.com as they have a line of great wedges that are available in left hand starting July 2012. Also, if you don't know about it already, the absolute best internet site for golf enthusiasts is thehackersparadise.com Tons of equipment reviews from golfers like you and me, and a great place to learn what it takes to have more fun out on the course and improve your game.

RaiderH8r
05-23-2012, 10:20 AM
You know what really matters? Being able to hit a 4 foot putt, when it counts. That's why no matter how far and pretty I can hit the ball (very far, very pretty), my dad kicks the shiat out of me on the score card.

BING!

I love my little 60 degree and my putter. Everything else is just getting it to the green between the OBs. For that I do enjoy the Callaway X 20s. They are a little dated but still play very well. Cobra S3 Driver, TaylorMade Burner 3 and a lot of little, white balls.

Mogulseeker
05-23-2012, 01:20 PM
forged is the way to go

If I continue hitting these Cobra AMPs the way I have been... then some custom blades might be in my near future. I don't mean to brag, but I've been playing for about 14 months, and the amount of improvement I've had, I might not have to worry about forgiveness in the future.

My wedge work and putting is fine... but now I've got to look at chipping.

Mogulseeker
05-23-2012, 01:24 PM
I'm really happy with the Adams set I bought year ago.

Yeah, I probably would have tried some if they had them in lefties. A buddy of mine let me use his IDEA wedges the other day, and I was impressed.

KC pussy farts
05-27-2012, 02:42 PM

AMP Driver
AMP 3W
AMP 4-GW

I hate posers on the course who have no game but have the fanciest equipment. What a colossal waste of money!

Dr. Broncenstein
05-27-2012, 06:58 PM
I hate posers on the course who have no game but have the fanciest equipment. What a colossal waste of money!

At least on this course he has some fancy equipment to offset his lack of game.

Bronco Yoda
05-27-2012, 07:49 PM

TRUTH!!!

I no longer torture myself with this sport.

Mogulseeker
05-27-2012, 11:37 PM

Nice to meet you too. Welcome to the forum.