PDA

View Full Version : Cutler/Bates bro-fest heating up in Chi-town

TonyR
05-15-2012, 06:02 AM
Good Morning, Broncos fans! The bro-fest continues with the reunion of J-Cutty and Jeremy Bates in Chicago. These two guys are so smitten with themselves and each other that they're actually starting to look alike ( http://www.trbimg.com/img-4fb03de6/turbine/ct-spt-0514-bears-pompei--20120514-001/600 ).

Dan Pompei wrote a big fluff piece ( http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-0514-bears-pompei--20120514,0,4818462.column ) on the two for the Sun-Times on Sunday, replete with plenty of bro-love and mythicizing of Cutler's 2008 season. You all remember that grand year, yeah?

'Twas the greatest season in the history of offensive football. (Finishing 2nd in yards and 16th in points that year qualifies, right?)

You know, the one where they scored 114 in their first three games before averaging under 20 points for the next 13, and blew a three-game lead in the AFC West with three games left to play. You know, when Jay threw 18 picks including several in the end zone, and had the lowest TD% of his career?

Well, apparently it was a magical season for these two bros, and they're all giddy about reproducing that greatness this year in Chicago. At least John Mullin ( http://www.csnchicago.com/football-chicago-bears/bears-talk/Bates-Cutler-reunion-doesnt-guarantee-go?blockID=707842&feedID=10330 ) knows the truth, and isn't perpetuating the 2008 myth or participating in the fluffery.

In other news, Jay took Kristin home to Nashville last weekend for a giant bro convention ( http://bustedcoverage.com/2012/05/14/jay-cutler-steeplechase-photo/ ), and he accepts that concussions are a part of the game ( http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2012/05/jay_cutler_on_concussion_conce.html ).

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/the-daily-lard-5-15-12

LOL The mythical 2008 season.

delany
05-15-2012, 06:39 AM
Thanks for posting this Bronco Rob.

SportinOne
05-15-2012, 07:00 AM
Well, okay. We have Peyton Manning. But even that can't take the sting out the fact that we should have had a franchise quarterback for at least another 8 to 10+ years instead of 2 to 3. So i guess this is how some deal with that.

It will be a very long time, if it happens at all, before someone ****s a franchise the way McDaniels did.

Ray Finkle
05-15-2012, 07:05 AM
Socal disapproves of this thread. Not enough Bowlen bashing or Cutler Cuddling.

errand
05-15-2012, 07:12 AM
Jay Cutler is Jeff George 2.0

Both are talented but spoiled brat head cases......having said that I wonder what might (offensively) have been had he and Josh been able to co-exist......

Black96WS6
05-15-2012, 08:42 AM

Both are talented but spoiled brat head cases......having said that I wonder what might (offensively) have been had he and Josh been able to co-exist......

http://www.gacksports.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/todd-haley-josh-mcdaniels.jpg

http://www.joshmcdanielssucks.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/McDaniels-Fired.jpg

http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/jerryjay714.jpeg

SoCalBronco
05-15-2012, 08:47 AM
Socal disapproves of this thread. Not enough Bowlen bashing or Cutler Cuddling.

I can never have enough Cutler cuddling. (I'm going to get blasted for that line, shortly). :)

I'm very excited to see Jay back with Jeremy Bates and Marshall. Drafting Alshon Jeffrey was great, too. I have to read that Dan Pompei article..I LOVE Jay fluff pieces, that is awesome! :sunshine:

Seriously, that is going to be a great team. I look forward to watching alot of their games. You don't want any part of this, Green Bay!

Tombstone RJ
05-15-2012, 08:58 AM
DaBeerzz offensive line is still somewhat questionable. I'm not sure why they haven't addressed this issue in the draft or FA. I mean, how hard is it to beef up your oline? Aside from a blue chip LT, it ain't expensive.

Punisher
05-15-2012, 09:16 AM
Cutler, Bates , Marshall, Run Game and a defense..... Yea ???

DENVERDUI55
05-15-2012, 09:20 AM
I can never have enough Cutler cuddling. (I'm going to get blasted for that line, shortly). :)

I'm very excited to see Jay back with Jeremy Bates and Marshall. Drafting Alshon Jeffrey was great, too. I have to read that Dan Pompei article..I LOVE Jay fluff pieces, that is awesome! :sunshine:

Seriously, that is going to be a great team. I look forward to watching alot of their games. You don't want any part of this, Green Bay!

You should just switch teams to the bears. Get a Cutler Jersey, defend that POS Marshall, etc. GB is going to beat them down along with Detroit.

Tombstone RJ
05-15-2012, 09:28 AM
Arguably dabeerz are still the least talented of the 3 teams--GB, Detroit and Chicago. But I'm not too sure about Detroit, they seem like a talented team full of big egos and if their QB goes down (he's kind of a baby anyway) then they are out.

GB's defense is suspect but if Aaron Rogers is on has game they are tough to beat.

Kaylore
05-15-2012, 09:40 AM
Typical SoCal post:

"I love Jay Cutler. I love Brandon Marshall, a horrible human being, because he and Cutler play together. I love Bates. I love and root for the Bears."

"**** Pat Bowlen. John Elway is an idiot. I want the Broncos to lose and play poorly because then Bowlen won't be happy. I'm going to pretend Bowlen made Shanny a ****ty GM to justify my burning hatred for Bowlen after he fired my favorite coach."

"I am a 'Broncos fan,' no, seriously!"

::)

lolcopter
05-15-2012, 09:47 AM
You should just switch teams to the bears. Get a Cutler Jersey, defend that POS Marshall, etc. GB is going to beat them down along with Detroit.

What he said

Powderaddict
05-15-2012, 09:58 AM
Isn't that cute.

Ray Finkle
05-15-2012, 10:00 AM

I can never have enough Cutler cuddling....so need a Socal man crush smiley...

Mogulseeker
05-15-2012, 10:09 AM
Yeah... we have Manning now.

Would you trade Manning for Cutler?

WolfpackGuy
05-15-2012, 10:19 AM
Would the Broncos even have been in the Manning sweepstakes if not for the Cutler debacle?

Hmm...

Toshiro Takashi
05-15-2012, 10:26 AM

http://www.chicitysports.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Cutler-middle-finger.jpg

Captain 'Dre
05-15-2012, 10:32 AM
Well, okay. We have Peyton Manning. But even that can't take the sting out the fact that we should have had a franchise douchebag for at least another 8 to 10+ years instead of 2 to 3. So i guess this is how some deal with that.

Fixed it for you. :)

Shananahan
05-15-2012, 10:34 AM

How the mighty have fallen.

broncosteven
05-15-2012, 10:36 AM
Good Morning, Broncos fans! The bro-fest continues with the reunion of J-Cutty and Jeremy Bates in Chicago. These two guys are so smitten with themselves and each other that they're actually starting to look alike ( http://www.trbimg.com/img-4fb03de6/turbine/ct-spt-0514-bears-pompei--20120514-001/600 ).

Dan Pompei wrote a big fluff piece ( http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-0514-bears-pompei--20120514,0,4818462.column ) on the two for the Sun-Times on Sunday, replete with plenty of bro-love and mythicizing of Cutler's 2008 season. You all remember that grand year, yeah?

'Twas the greatest season in the history of offensive football. (Finishing 2nd in yards and 16th in points that year qualifies, right?)

You know, the one where they scored 114 in their first three games before averaging under 20 points for the next 13, and blew a three-game lead in the AFC West with three games left to play. You know, when Jay threw 18 picks including several in the end zone, and had the lowest TD% of his career?

Well, apparently it was a magical season for these two bros, and they're all giddy about reproducing that greatness this year in Chicago. At least John Mullin ( http://www.csnchicago.com/football-chicago-bears/bears-talk/Bates-Cutler-reunion-doesnt-guarantee-go?blockID=707842&feedID=10330 ) knows the truth, and isn't perpetuating the 2008 myth or participating in the fluffery.

In other news, Jay took Kristin home to Nashville last weekend for a giant bro convention ( http://bustedcoverage.com/2012/05/14/jay-cutler-steeplechase-photo/ ), and he accepts that concussions are a part of the game ( http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2012/05/jay_cutler_on_concussion_conce.html ).

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/the-daily-lard-5-15-12

LOL The mythical 2008 season.

Wow, I live in Chicagoland, get the Trib every day and watch the local news and yet I don't think I have seen a more comprehensive coverage about Cutler anywhere other than this thread.

Well done for a non-bear fan and all...

TonyR
05-15-2012, 10:42 AM
Wow, I live in Chicagoland, get the Trib every day and watch the local news and yet I don't think I have seen a more comprehensive coverage about Cutler anywhere other than this thread.

Well done for a non-bear fan and all...

I actually stole it all from the very last link in my post (assuming you're referring to me and not the source I linked).

LRtagger
05-15-2012, 10:49 AM
This makes me want to purchase some pink slacks, visor, and sunglass strap

broncocalijohn
05-15-2012, 11:32 AM

He already has the jerseys and defended Marshall. We are just waiting for him to go Atlas on us. Him and Atlas are the only people I know that has a Redskin jersey with the #1 on it and the name Shanahan on the back.

Cutler lost his lovebro tight end so he needed to find another one to cuddle with for the upcoming season. But, once again, Cutlerfan6 was left out in the cold. Once he comes back, he will get that interview with Jay that we have been waiting for 4 years now.

BroncoBen
05-15-2012, 11:46 AM

If they could have co-existed.. I am willing to bet that McD would still be coaching the Broncos.

broncosteven
05-15-2012, 12:13 PM
I actually stole it all from the very last link in my post (assuming you're referring to me and not the source I linked).

I was impressed with all the info, the local sports radio has been all about Basketball recently which is odd because the Bulls are out. Some Baseball but not a ton.

So when I saw all this info in one spot I felt left out.

Mogulseeker
05-15-2012, 12:15 PM
Cutler almost ruined his career in Chicago, but I believe he is on the rebound. He's right where he was when he left Denver, and I think that in the NFC, he'll be competing with Stafford and Eli for the final Pro Bowl spot in the NFC.

He could have been elite already, but circumstances changed that. Chicago has been a setback, but he'll get in a couple of good years before he retires.

Mogulseeker
05-15-2012, 12:16 PM
http://www.chicitysports.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Cutler-middle-finger.jpg

Wow... even Jay Cutler has to carry a poop bag.

TonyR
05-15-2012, 12:32 PM
...he'll be competing with Stafford and Eli for the final Pro Bowl spot in the NFC...

Don't forget about Brees. And if Vick can stay healthy he has the ability to be in the mix as well with all that talent around him.

LRtagger
05-15-2012, 12:34 PM
I think that in the NFC, he'll be competing with Stafford and Eli for the final Pro Bowl spot in the NFC.

Yea, that Aaron Rogers guy sucks! So does that guy...Doug Breem or whatever his name is.

Mogulseeker
05-15-2012, 12:40 PM
Don't forget about Brees. And if Vick can stay healthy he has the ability to be in the mix as well with all that talent around him.

Rodgers is the #1 shoo-in.
Brees is the #2 shoo-in, IMO.

Mogulseeker
05-15-2012, 12:42 PM
Yea, that Aaron Rogers guy sucks! So does that guy...Doug Breem or whatever his name is.

Yeah they suck so bad they might not get the final Pro Bowl spot in the NFC.

Learn how to read, dude.

broncosteven
05-15-2012, 12:43 PM
I wonder more about what Matt Forte will do this year. Coming off an injury and still butt hurt about his contract. Duh bears could be in real trouble if he doesn't produce this year.

broncswin
05-15-2012, 12:54 PM

Learn how to read, dude.

lets not forget cam the man newton...RGIII as well(it is the pro bowl)

TonyR
05-15-2012, 01:06 PM
Rodgers is the #1 shoo-in.
Brees is the #2 shoo-in, IMO.

Ah, I follow you now. And I totally whiffed on Rodgers!

Ray Finkle
05-15-2012, 01:23 PM
Wow... even Jay Cutler has to carry a poop bag.

yep....Chicago has Marshall now...

TonyR
05-15-2012, 01:25 PM
Gotta admit that Cutler to Marshall will be interesting this year.

Powderaddict
05-15-2012, 01:44 PM

As much as I can't stand both those guys, I'll be following the situation for sure.

oubronco
05-15-2012, 01:49 PM
http://lolscream.com/wp-content/woo_uploads/5-tumblr_lozdsb0bKx1qbnd1c.gif

GreatBronco16
05-15-2012, 02:29 PM
As much as I can't stand both those guys, I'll be following the situation for sure.

Well I can't say I'll be doing the same. Could really gives a **** what goes on in Chitown.

McD more rings than Elway
05-15-2012, 02:37 PM

Jeff George never took a team to a Conference Championship game.

Drunken.Broncoholic
05-15-2012, 02:41 PM
Cowher had said he would come out of retirement to coach the bears or giants. Cutler and Eli. You can thank Boomer esiason for blabbing that to the public.

Shananahan
05-15-2012, 02:55 PM
So whose gimmick is this?

DBroncos4life
05-15-2012, 03:33 PM

Anyone watching football last year knows Cutler isn't anything like George lol.

Mogulseeker
05-15-2012, 05:50 PM
yep....Chicago has Marshall now...

Zing!

LRtagger
05-15-2012, 05:55 PM

Learn how to read, dude.

Whoops! Lol

Requiem
05-15-2012, 05:56 PM
Chicago could be a very dangerous team.

broncocalijohn
05-15-2012, 10:01 PM

I am totally looking forward to the Douche to Douche hookup!

Mogulseeker
05-15-2012, 10:06 PM

How sweet would a Bears-Broncos Super Bowl be?

Drek
05-16-2012, 02:32 AM
How sweet would a Bears-Broncos Super Bowl be?

Pretty awesome. Because if the Bears D carries Cutler that far you know the clutch situation meltdown he'll have would be epic.

Champ would have SB MVP locked up somewhere around the 3rd quarter when he takes his second red zone INT back to the house.

CEH
05-16-2012, 05:43 AM
Cutler is only as good as his Oline and he has serious doubts bout his Oline right now.

baja
05-16-2012, 05:53 AM
Typical SoCal post:

"I love Jay Cutler. I love Brandon Marshall, a horrible human being, because he and Cutler play together. I love Bates. I love and root for the Bears."

"**** Pat Bowlen. John Elway is an idiot. I want the Broncos to lose and play poorly because then Bowlen won't be happy. I'm going to pretend Bowlen made Shanny a ****ty GM to justify my burning hatred for Bowlen after he fired my favorite coach."

"I am a 'Broncos fan,' no, seriously!"

::)

But he's a mod, it's OK when a mod hates the Broncos and loves the Bears. Isn't that how it works?

Kaylore
05-16-2012, 07:35 AM

....for the city of Chicago.

Dr. Broncenstein
05-16-2012, 07:39 AM
....for the city of Chicago.

Hide yo kids. Hide yo wife.

baja
05-16-2012, 10:19 AM
Cutler sees what Lovie misses
May 15, 2012|Steve Rosenbloom | The RosenBlog
Jay Cutler apparently is fed up with being run down. And thrown down. And beaten down and beaten up.

And if the Bears quarterback had to pants his head coach to make things better, then fine, Cutler will offer cold-eyed honesty that ought to embarrass Lovie Smith.

The issue is the offensive line, such as it is, and it isnít enough for Cutler. Speaking at a school on the South Side on Monday, Cutler sounded like a guy who doesnít want to die young.

"The offensive line is definitely going to be a concern," Cutler said, "and seeing where those guys fit in and seeing what five we go with. You know, if Gabe (Carimi) comes back, if J'Marcus (Webb) pans out (and) Chris Williams, where we're going to put him ... there are some question marks there. Until we really get that resolved, get our front five settled, we've got some work to do on the offense."

Thatís what youíd expect a coach to say, but the Bears coach hasnít said that. He wonít. Or canít. Whatever, it was left to the quarterback who was sacked at least 50 times the last two seasons and was on pace to reach that painful mark again last season before suffering a thumb injury.

When given a chance to make nice with his blockers, Cutler passed. He refused to say ďAll betteríí when tossed a softball question about new offensive coordinator Mike Ticeís tailoring an offense that includes designed rollouts, audibles and other sensible ideas that eluded the insane Mike Martz.

"It helps," Cutler said. "It's not a cure-all by any means. They're still going to be asked to protect. There are going to be times it's third-and-8, it's third-and-10, we're going to have to take seven steps, we're going to have to have a longer route, and they're going to have to protect."

Again, thatís the quarterback talking. Whereís the head coach with that kind of frankness?

Nowhere, thatís where.

Compare and contrast Cutlerís comments with the ridiculousness the head coach foisted on us during the NFL meetings in Florida two months ago.

ďI donít want to picture it as weíre looking for a left tackle," Smith said. ďWe feel comfortable with the two guys (JíMarcus Webb and Gabe Carimi) we started with last year. We like the group of offensive lineman we have right now. We feel we can be successful with them."

The quarterback isnít buying what the coach was shoveling. Facing near-death will do that to you.

When told that Webb allowed a league-high 14 sacks and committed a league-high eight false starts, Smith said, "You can make a case and throw out stats on what he did. But I think it's hard for all tackles by themselves in the league to block Julius Peppers from time to time.íí

Note to Smith: Webb doesnít block Peppers except maybe in practice, and probably not there.

Raise your hand if you believe it would take a Cutler beheading for Smith to admit the offensive line mightíve missed an assignment.

Remember when Smith was big on public accountability? Smith tends to windsock with that. He has spasms of refreshing honesty, but apparently hates himself for it, and so, he ultimately crawls back to lamely trying to defend the left tackle who led the NFL in being awful. In a court of law, Webb would be convicted of aiding and abetting, and Smith would be charged as a co-conspirator.

The quotes from Cutler and Smith differ so starkly that itís laughable. Iíll trust the assessment from the guy taking snaps over the guy on the sideline. Cutler is running for his life. Thatís intimate knowledge. Smith looks like he still canít figure out why everybody elseís offensive line beats his three-technique.

ďAny tackle in the league can look bad at times,Ē Smith also said in March as he vainly attempted to put a happy face on last seasonís Webbisode. ďThere are some things we can do to help him out at times, which we plan to do. We feel we have a good plan at the left tackle position. If we end up playing JíMarcus Webb at the left tackle position, we feel comfortable with that.Ē

Of course Smith feels comfortable. Itís not his concussion.

The good news is, Cutlerís brain isnít totally Jell-Oíed. He still makes sense. He gave Bears fans credit for seeing the same thing he saw --- the same thing he painfully endured. Cutler also called out his blockers, but in a way that challenged them, not coddled them the way Smith does publicly.

This wouldnít be the first time Smith tried to make points with his locker room. I donít know if heís playing the media and Bears fans for stupid, but heís playing to his profile as a playerís coach, which is code for defending the indefensible.

Smith chooses to block out all the negativity -- you know, the things we call the truth -- but at least someone can block something.