PDA

View Full Version : LB Steven Johnson gets top signing bonus among Broncos 13 undrafted rookies

Denver724
05-14-2012, 07:17 AM
I love Eric Page. Only signed for what we had left of the UDFA cap ($76,585). I am certain he came to Denver because he feels it is his best chance to make a roster.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2012/05/13/lb-steven-johnson-top-signing-bonus-broncos-13-undrafted-rookies/13448/

Steven Johnson, linebacker, $12,000
Coryell Judie, cornerback, $10,000
Jerry Franklin, linebacker, $10,000
Jamie Blatnik, defensive end, $10,000
Duke Ihenacho, safety, $8,500
Anthony Miller, tight end, $5,000
Mike Remmers, offensive tackle, $5,000
Aaron Brewer, long snapper, $4,000
Gerrell Robinson, receiver, $3,500
Elliot Coffey, linebacker, $3,000
Austin Wuebbels, guard, $2,500
Wayne Tribue, $2,000
Eric Page, receiver, $1,085
Total $76,585

g6matty
05-14-2012, 07:22 AM
we signed steven johnson to a contract this morning

JCMElway
05-14-2012, 07:22 AM
So, he gets paid 1K for, what? How long a time/pay period is that? I make 1K at my job for 2-3 weeks!

Denver724
05-14-2012, 07:24 AM
So, he gets paid 1K for, what? How long a time/pay period is that? I make 1K at my job for 2-3 weeks!

UDFA get a signing bonus. Teams can only spend $76,585 on bonuses.

Kaylore
05-14-2012, 07:39 AM

It's a free agent signing bonus. I think it's just to show up to camp. It's obviously guaranteed.

BroncoBen
05-14-2012, 09:35 AM
I love Eric Page. Only signed for what we had left of the UDFA cap ($76,585). I am certain he came to Denver because he feels it is his best chance to make a roster.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2012/05/13/lb-steven-johnson-top-signing-bonus-broncos-13-undrafted-rookies/13448/

Wayne Tribue, $2,000
Total $76,585

Maybe one or two of these guys makes the final roster.. most likely the practice squad.

Rabb
05-14-2012, 09:37 AM
I wonder if Wuebbels wobbles at all, but won't fall down

SouthStndJunkie
05-14-2012, 09:48 AM
Eric Page was the 13th and last UDFA to sign after Denver persuaded him to back away from his offer from Tampa Bay, so he had to take the left over crumbs, but it could prove to be a wise move for him as we have a need for a slot WR and a return man.

BowlenBall
05-14-2012, 09:56 AM
Eric Page was the 13th and last UDFA to sign after Denver persuaded him to back away from his offer from Tampa Bay, so he had to take the left over crumbs, but it could prove to be a wise move for him as we have a need for a slot WR and a return man.

Curious that Page would jump from the Tampa Bay Bucs to us for $1K. I wonder if the Broncos gave him some sort of guarantee for the practice squad (at worst) this year...?

Mogulseeker
05-14-2012, 09:58 AM

A signing bonus is basically free money that's guaranteed for signing the contract.

They're all likely making the rookie minimum, which comes out to something like $119,000 a year - divide that out by twelve months then multiply it for however long they stay on their roster, and that's what they make for trying to make an NFL football team.

A friend I went to college with got drafted by the Florida Panthers as a goalie. He got called up for a couple games and all of the sudden $30,000 was in his bank account. He saved it because who knows if he'll stick in the league

SouthStndJunkie
05-14-2012, 10:00 AM
Curious that Page would jump from the Tampa Bay Bucs to us for $1K. I wonder if the Broncos gave him some sort of guarantee for the practice squad (at worst) this year...?

My guess is Denver did a good job of explaining/selling the opportunity he would have in Denver and told him the return job was wide open for the taking and that he would have a chance to compete/develop as a slot WR.

bronco militia
05-14-2012, 10:24 AM

Peyton ****ing Manning

:approve:

outdoor_miner
05-14-2012, 11:00 AM
This is really interesting. Johnson gets the most $, although he has received the least amount of "hype" of the Top 5 UDFAs (not that it really means anything - just interesting who to keep an eye on).

Top 5 guys are defense, and the first offensive guy is a Tight End? This is in line with the notion that the team feels really good about their WR depth.

3 LBs (Trevathan, Johnson, and Franklin) as late round/highly-paid UDFA. Will be interesting to see what this means for Irving and Mohamad.

broncocalijohn
05-14-2012, 11:05 AM
I wonder if Wuebbels wobbles at all, but won't fall down

For $2500, we shall find out. The irony is he went to Fisher Price University.

Pony Boy
05-14-2012, 11:10 AM
I bet there are lots of college players that would pay the Broncos money for a chance to make the team.

BroncoMan4ever
05-14-2012, 11:21 AM
Maybe one or two of these guys makes the final roster.. most likely the practice squad.

bet on Johnson, Brewer and Robinson.

i really think Denver will switch out Paxton with Brewer if Brewer shows he can do the job. why pay a guy over a million a year when you can get someone younger to do the job and make league minimum? i don't agree with the move as Paxton is one of the best in the league as a LS, unless he is supposed to play his former team, but the team has shown it is at times cutting costs.

Lestat
05-14-2012, 11:34 AM
Johnson,Judie,Franklin and Page are the most likely to make it IMO.
we have next to nothing in depth at LB even when you add in Trevathan from the draft.

WR is wide open after DT,Decker & Caldwell and Page is a WR that we don't currently have on the roster unless Stokley is back being what he was in Indy. CB is finally a strength but Judie is a very talented guy who could take someone's spot.

Ihenacho,Wuebbles are perfect PS guys. but we've seen injuries deplete our roster before so who knows.

schaaf
05-14-2012, 12:36 PM

Wayne Tribue, $2,000
Total $76,585

This tells me they must have promised Eric Page something for this season.

Drek
05-14-2012, 12:43 PM
A signing bonus is basically free money that's guaranteed for signing the contract.

They're all likely making the rookie minimum, which comes out to something like $119,000 a year - divide that out by twelve months then multiply it for however long they stay on their roster, and that's what they make for trying to make an NFL football team.

A friend I went to college with got drafted by the Florida Panthers as a goalie. He got called up for a couple games and all of the sudden $30,000 was in his bank account. He saved it because who knows if he'll stick in the league

The NFL effectively pays "game checks" for regular season play, so there is no dividing by twelve or anything. Its $119,000 divided by 17 (bye week), every game you're on the roster you get that.

Practice squad guys make about $85,000 from what I've heard.

All of this comes after final cuts. During camp and pre-season every guy gets a couple thousand a week as well.

So if you're a rookie who lasts all through camp and then goes directly to the practice squad you're probably making real close to $100K or a little more for the year.

The max on UDFA bonuses if I recall is $30,000. Under both Shanahan and McDaniels we usually had a guy we'd drop the big $30K bomb on out of the gates and we'd have a few nobodies who got no bonus at the bottom of the UDFA list. Interesting that this FO decided to use a more balanced approach. Doesn't seem to have hurt their ability to sign guys at all, especially with Page taking almost nothing to come here.

Page is a great fit here though. I have a hard time seeing Stokley make the final roster and then make it through the whole season. Page would be an ideal understudy who could fill the same slot WR role.

pricejj
05-14-2012, 01:01 PM
Practice squad guys make about $85,000 from what I've heard.

It's more like $300,000...or at least it used to be before the new CBA.

Beantown Bronco
05-14-2012, 01:08 PM

That's not correct. You're thinking of the NFL league minimum for players who make the actual game day rosters vs. the practice squad guy's salaries. The practice squad guys have always made around $85K a year and the CBA didn't affect them.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_salary_for_NFL_practice_squad_players

TonyR
05-14-2012, 01:24 PM
Long write up on Duke Ihenacho at IAOFM today...

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/bron...-duke-ihenacho

Mogulseeker
05-14-2012, 01:30 PM

Not even close to that. The rookie minimum has gone up.... I want to say it's around $250,000 but I'm not sure.

Last year Mike Lockley got fined $20,000 for a hit. He was relegated to the practice squad and it turned out that $20,000 was a huge chunk of what he was making yearly for being on the P-squad.

According to yahoo sports, he was making $5,700 per week as a PS player. That's about $70,000 per year.

Mogulseeker
05-14-2012, 01:32 PM
Long write up on Duke Ihenacho at IAOFM today...

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/bron...-duke-ihenacho

He seems like a good prospect.

I think Elway and Fox put a huge stock on strength this draft. Most of the guys we picked aren't the fastest players fo their position, but they're big and strong.

Ihenacho and Boldin were both at the top of their class in lifting.

Lestat
05-14-2012, 01:40 PM
He seems like a good prospect.

I think Elway and Fox put a huge stock on strength this draft. Most of the guys we picked aren't the fastest players fo their position, but they're big and strong.

Ihenacho and Boldin were both at the top of their class in lifting.

don't think it was strength they focused on. most of the guys we landed are very good at their position but not overly athletic.

of the guys they took or signed the guys are very good at the main job of their position, be it tackling at LB, covering at CB or blocking on OL.
the guys are also flexible and can multiple positions.

schaaf
05-14-2012, 01:42 PM
just curious, but what would the reaction be if Duke Ihenacho makes the team and Rahim Moore is cut???

Punisher
05-14-2012, 01:44 PM
Anybody got any footage on Steven Johnson?

Lestat
05-14-2012, 01:50 PM
just curious, but what would the reaction be if Duke Ihenacho makes the team and Rahim Moore is cut???

not gonna happen but it will involve Elway being a moron, him being a gutless drunk as well as Bowlen, him tearing the team apart and us needing to have kept Xanders because he was somehow against the pick.

SouthStndJunkie
05-14-2012, 01:57 PM
Anybody got any footage on Steven Johnson?

Brett Favre has some footage of his Johnson.

Mogulseeker
05-14-2012, 01:59 PM
don't think it was strength they focused on. most of the guys we landed are very good at their position but not overly athletic.

of the guys they took or signed the guys are very good at the main job of their position, be it tackling at LB, covering at CB or blocking on OL.
the guys are also flexible and can multiple positions.

Being flexible and open to multiple positions is a plus in my book.

SouthStndJunkie
05-14-2012, 02:01 PM

So much sexual innuendo in this post....but I'm sure you were hinting at that.

pricejj
05-14-2012, 02:02 PM
Not even close to that. The rookie minimum has gone up.... I want to say it's around $250,000 but I'm not sure.

Last year Mike Lockley got fined $20,000 for a hit. He was relegated to the practice squad and it turned out that $20,000 was a huge chunk of what he was making yearly for being on the P-squad.

According to yahoo sports, he was making $5,700 per week as a PS player. That's about $70,000 per year.

Weird. I remember a PS squad guy on the Broncos making $300,000 several years back, I thought it was the minimum. I know Rafael Bush made $325,000 on Atlanta's PS in 2010 as a UDFA. I guess it all depends on the contract. I didn't realize the mimimum was so low. None of the Broncos PS guys have made under $300k as far as I'm aware.

Lestat
05-14-2012, 02:17 PM

Hilarious! hey hey hey now, this isn't Penthouse. keep your letters to yourself.
focus on football... in this thread

Lestat
05-14-2012, 02:18 PM
Weird. I remember a PS squad guy on the Broncos making $300,000 several years back, I thought it was the minimum. I know Rafael Bush made $325,000 on Atlanta's PS in 2010 as a UDFA. I guess it all depends on the contract. I didn't realize the mimimum was so low. None of the Broncos PS guys have made under $300k as far as I'm aware.

300K seems extremely high. i know when Jashon Sykes was with Denver he was making about 105K on the PS.

Kaylore
05-14-2012, 02:20 PM

I'd be upset that we picked poorly, but ok with the move. Honestly Duke would probably try harder and cost less.

Mogulseeker
05-14-2012, 02:22 PM
Tosh thinks a PS player makes $850,000:

<div style="background-color:#000000;width:368px;"><div style="padding:4px;"><iframe src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/embed/mgid:cms:video:jokes.com:376462" width="360" height="293" frameborder="0"></iframe><p style="text-align:left;background-color:#FFFFFF;padding:4px;margin-top:4px;margin-bottom:0px;font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px;"><b>Comedy Central Stand-Up</b> <br/>Get More: <a href='http://www.jokes.com'>Jokes</a>,<a href='http://www.jokes.com'>Joke of the Day</a>,<a href='http://www.jokes.com/funny/'>Funny Jokes</a></p></div></div>

Lestat
05-14-2012, 03:35 PM
I'd be upset that we picked poorly, but ok with the move. Honestly Duke would probably try harder and cost less.

Moore was the one pick every Bronco fan was basically on board with. he was the top S in the draft and he was sitting there at a huge value point.

i think we as fans have written him off too quickly as it was only one year.
his play in terms of the fall of was astounding how badly he seemed to regress rather than improve.

i think he will eventually turn into the player we expected him to be when he was drafted, Carter struggled early and then improved, Moore was consistent early and then regressed(how does a safety make business decisions on tackling?)

broncogary
05-14-2012, 03:56 PM
Brett Favre has some footage of his Johnson.

Footage? That's impressive. I was thinking more like inchage. :)

SouthStndJunkie
05-14-2012, 03:58 PM
Footage? That's impressive. I was thinking more like inchage. :)

He showed it 3 times to get up to a footage.

broncogary
05-14-2012, 04:03 PM
He showed it 3 times to get up to a footage.

Sounds like he needs Photoshop.:~ohyah!:

errand
05-15-2012, 11:42 AM

You'll have some clowns in here go off the deep end...mainly due to Moore being a 2nd rounder.....

SouthStndJunkie
05-15-2012, 12:52 PM
Denver Broncos ‏ @Denver_Broncos

Fox on special teams: "Probably the biggest loss was losing Eddie Royal. But we got a young man in Eric Page from Toledo who can step in."

errand
05-15-2012, 01:30 PM
Denver Broncos ‏ @Denver_Broncos

Fox on special teams: "Probably the biggest loss was losing Eddie Royal. But we got a young man in Eric Page from Toledo who can step in."

While Eddie kind of regressed as WR he was still an asset as a PR.... and could score at any given time.

Lestat
05-15-2012, 04:10 PM
While Eddie kind of regressed as WR he was still an asset as a PR.... and could score at any given time.

while that is true, he just didn't seem to be focused fully since his rookie year.
don't know what happened to him but he hasn't been as electric since his rookie year.