PDA

View Full Version : USFL to return

Mogulseeker
05-12-2012, 01:25 PM
What do you think?

Like an NFL minor league?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/19027116/usfl-will-restart-next-march-not-as-a-competitor-to-nfl-but-as-an-ally

Tombstone RJ
05-12-2012, 01:55 PM
I think it's a pretty sound business model to try and be a launching board to the NFL for players who are on the bubble. Also, they are putting teams in cities that don't already have an NFL team which I think is smart too.

I think if it stays somewhat traditional and doesn't go all whacky and gimmicky in its football operations and promotion then I think there is room for it.

Mogulseeker
05-12-2012, 01:58 PM
I think it's a pretty sound business model to try and be a launching board to the NFL for players who are on the bubble. Also, they are putting teams in cities that don't already have an NFL team which I think is smart too.

I think if it stays somewhat traditional and doesn't go all whacky and gimmicky in its football operations and promotion then I think there is room for it.

I think this could be a good opportunity to develop a farm system like they have in hockey and baseball.

Maybe get a USFL team down in CO Springs to serve as the Broncos "minor affiliate."

What would be really awesome would be a system like the NHL where we could have players on contract in addition to the 53 man roster, that play in the USFL, whom we could call up.

Stuck in Cali
05-12-2012, 02:23 PM
This could be a good thing for the NFL, and players needing more experience.

One question, I don't follow baseball at all. In some markets do they broadcast minor league games on tv?

OBF1
05-12-2012, 03:20 PM

One question, I don't follow baseball at all. In some markets do they broadcast minor league games on tv?

Thank god they do not in my area of Southern California. LOL

Boltjolt
05-12-2012, 04:30 PM
A lot of star players came from the USFL. Just like they did coming out of college, i lok for the USFL to sign players before they get to the USFL. How well it works, we shall see but there is a rookie cap now so who knows.

I thought the USFL was a good league that Donald Trump ruined with his lawsuit.

Kaylore
05-12-2012, 04:34 PM
This is pretty smart. The unofficial minor league until the NFL buys them and hopefully makes them official. With no NFL Europe there hasn't been a minor league unless you count the CFL.

oubronco
05-12-2012, 04:44 PM
As long as they put a team in Tulsa ;D

extralife
05-12-2012, 04:44 PM
The United Football League already exists, and it already doesn't work. This will join that, the XFL, the first USFL, NFL Europe, etc. in the failure bin.

errand
05-12-2012, 04:52 PM

Some do....however the production is generally like the product they televise....minor league.

Most definitely cover it thru radio.....and tickets should be affordable for most budgets.

Broncobiv
05-12-2012, 05:05 PM
Thank god they do not in my area of Southern California. LOL

Sure they do...the team is called the San Diego Padres!

jutang
05-12-2012, 05:06 PM
It will be interesting when NCAA football program begin having ex players with CTE start filing suit against the universities. College football will have the same pressure if not more than the nfl, especially since the kids are only compensated through education.

Boltjolt
05-12-2012, 05:20 PM
The United Football League already exists, and it already doesn't work. This will join that, the XFL, the first USFL, NFL Europe, etc. in the failure bin.

The USFL was a big success and only because Trump got greedy and sued did they fail. If anvbody else would of had their name on that lawsuit other than him, they would have prospered but the jury thought Trump was being greedy and only awarded them $1.00 after winning the lawsuit.

Thus, afterwards they were 160 mil in the red. Had that not happened im sure cable TV would have secured a big contract with them soon after.

There were a lot of players that jumped ship to the USFL because at th time, they could make more money. Would be tough to attract any stars now though.

They did at the time get players Jim Kelly, Steve Young, Reggie White, Herschel Walker, Doug Flutie, Mike Rozier Offensive Tackle Gary Zimmerman, RB Marcus Dupree, LB Sam Mills, QB Bobby Hebert, RB Kelvin Bryant, OT Irv Eatman, WR Anthony Carter, C Kent Hull, LB Gary Plummer, K Luis Zendejas, DT Keith Millard, LT Luis Sharpe, WR Ricky Sanders, RB (now ESPN analyst) Craig James,C Bart Oates, DE Charles Martin, RB Joe Cribbs, QB Brian Sipe, RB Gary Anderson, KR Mel Gray, S Dwight Drane.

Who knows, with the way they keep changing the NFL, maybe people will want to see real football again if they dont restrict just the way a CB can cover a WR.

boltaneer
05-12-2012, 05:39 PM
For those "bubble" players who do make it up to the NFL, they're looking at a 14 game USFL schedule, NFL preseason, then 16 game NFL schedule.

That's insanity.

extralife
05-12-2012, 06:20 PM
Yeah, I mean, if you're a bubble kind of player I'd imagine the coach looking at you vs. a guy that didn't just finish playing 14 games is going to want to take the fresh guy. It's a negative for you, not a positive.

barryr
05-12-2012, 07:40 PM
I don't see the need anymore. Teams have expanded rosters and more teams were added since the USFL days, so any are there really that many decent players out there not in the NFL already? Besides, the league is even bigger and faster, so injuries are more common. I also don't see the need of having a farm system either for football because a young player who is just there to get playing time is going to want to take a chance and play with mostly non NFL type talent and get hurt? Not likely. Sure, borderline at best guys would since they have nothing to lose, but the more talented guys do have more to lose.

Bmore Manning
05-12-2012, 07:56 PM
Reggie White

Dr. Broncenstein
05-12-2012, 07:56 PM
As long as they put a team in Tulsa ;D

Seriously, OKC should have an NFL team. That town is crazy over the Thunder.

sisterhellfyre
05-12-2012, 08:23 PM
What do you think?

Like an NFL minor league?

If they put a team in Portland, I'll be there at the games.

Tyrell Jones
05-12-2012, 08:31 PM
Denver Gold

broncocalijohn
05-13-2012, 12:07 AM
For those "bubble" players who do make it up to the NFL, they're looking at a 14 game USFL schedule, NFL preseason, then 16 game NFL schedule.

That's insanity.

There was a guy that played arena football, XFL and then got signed (I think the Packers) to play NFL. THat is a ton of football without breathing.
A minor league team should work and surprised it hasn't. I want the XFL to work because I thought that when you tie in the local college star players that didn't get drafted, you have a base fan group from those colleges that will come out and watch it. I always wanted to see a league based on College conferences playing each other.

broncocalijohn
05-13-2012, 12:08 AM
This is also the chance for David Kircus to put down the fists and sandwiches and get back to kicking ass on the field.