PDA

View Full Version : Noel Mazzone Helping Osweiler As He Did Tebow

Bronco Rob
05-11-2012, 09:15 PM
Broncos rookie QB fixing flaws in his motion

Friday May 11, 2012 - 5:53 PM

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP) - He's a big, raw Denver Broncos quarterback with throwing issues who worked with UCLA offensive coordinator Noel Mazzone on his own time to fix flaws.

Sound familiar?

While Tim Tebow's messy mechanics needed tons of work, Brock Osweiler needs more tweaks than anything, and he worked this offseason with Mazzone, who was his offensive coordinator at Arizona State and also served as Tebow's throwing coach.

The Broncos' second-round draft pick took the field at Dove Valley for the first time Friday, participating in the team's three-day rookie minicamp.

Although his right elbow at times dropped below his shoulder and winged out a bit, the 6-foot-8 quarterback showed he's making plenty of progress in capitalizing on his superior size.

Some of his throws were so quick, it looked like he was flicking the ball to his receivers.

"This is my first practice with this new throwing motion. I felt very comfortable with it," Osweiler said. "I felt more consistent with my accuracy. Where I was trying to put the ball, for the most part the ball ended up there. So I was very happy with it; now I've just got to keep building upon that."

... read more at the link....

A link to the rest of the article for those that bother to actually check rather than make baseless scurrilous accusations.......http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/19018805/broncos-rookie-qb-fixing-flaws-in-his-motion

doonwise
05-11-2012, 09:47 PM
Really glad I clicked the link to get the rest of the article.

BroncoMan4ever
05-11-2012, 11:04 PM
so after the wonders Mazzone worked with Tebow, does this mean we are drafting another developmental QB early in the 2013 or 2014 draft, because his coaching sucks and Brock is kind of ****ed now.

Stuck in Cali
05-11-2012, 11:29 PM
I Honestly don't know who this coach is. But trying to fix Tebows throwing motion would take a lot more than coaching imo. Looks like what he and Brock have been working on are just minor tweaks, not a overhaul. I am honestly looking forward to seeing Brock develop. Call me a fanboy if you must. I have been a Broncos fan for 35 yrs, and may have not agreed with some of the decisions the team has made. But in the end the people on the roster are my guys.

KipCorrington25
05-11-2012, 11:48 PM
We need Ben McDaniels to the rescue, let him know when homeroom is, the bus schedule, study hall, etc.

ZONA
05-11-2012, 11:48 PM

I hear ya. Because the article was totally incomplete without this very important part, lol.

NOTES: Fox was among a Broncos contingent traveling to San Diego for Junior Seau's memorial service at Qualcomm Stadium. "It's a tragedy losing a guy of that magnitude both as a person and as a player," said Fox, who coached the Chargers' secondary from 1992-93. The tragedy also hit home for third-round draft pick Ronnie Hillman, who grew up in La Habra, Calif., and attended San Diego State. "I was driving through Oceanside when I heard" about Seau's suicide last week, said Hillman, who went straight to Seau's restaurant to pay his respects

RaiderH8r
05-12-2012, 04:54 AM
so after the wonders Mazzone worked with Tebow, does this mean we are drafting another developmental QB early in the 2013 or 2014 draft, because his coaching sucks and Brock is kind of ****ed now.

Only if he is one of Jack's buddies.

fontaine
05-12-2012, 05:03 AM
What the hell is Mazzone going to fix in a few weeks that he didn't/couldn't fix in years at Arizona as the OC?

RaiderH8r
05-12-2012, 05:08 AM
What the hell is Mazzone going to fix in a few weeks that he didn't/couldn't fix in years at Arizona as the OC?

Jack says Mazzone's cool. He bought for them as underclass men.

WolfpackGuy
05-12-2012, 05:17 AM
Leo Mazzone knows a thing or two about throwing.

Not so sure about this Noel Mazzone.

yerner
05-12-2012, 06:05 AM
George Whitfield Jr.

Jay3
05-12-2012, 06:52 AM
In before someone says Brock is way ahead of Tebow so there's no comparison.

Oops.

baja
05-12-2012, 07:07 AM

Ya the rest of the story was good but what really made it worth it was those almost naked cheerleaders.

GreatBronco16
05-12-2012, 07:08 AM
Loud noises.;D

CEH
05-12-2012, 07:27 AM
Big difference. two words "quick release"

GreatBronco16
05-12-2012, 07:28 AM
Big difference. two words "quick release"

But can he read defenses???

Bronco Rob
05-12-2012, 09:00 AM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/videos/Clocking-In/6f06fcce-c1ff-4aff-9af0-bba5e4ef8488

:thumbs:

cutthemdown
05-12-2012, 09:26 AM
Tebow eventually gave up on improving his release and motion. That is the difference. Coaching only gets you so far.

Mogulseeker
05-12-2012, 11:01 AM
But can he read defenses???

He's more NFL ready than Tebow in terms of reading defenses.

TheReverend
05-12-2012, 11:02 AM

Ha!

DryHeat
05-12-2012, 11:03 AM

That's not saying much.

Jay3
05-12-2012, 11:04 AM
He's taller than Tebow, too.

Jay3
05-12-2012, 11:04 AM
I wonder what Tebow is doing right now? Should we call him?

Mogulseeker
05-12-2012, 11:05 AM
Ha!

Tebow never audibled, and McCoy gave him single-read plays all year.

Its not me saying this, it's the Broncos coaching staff.

CEH
05-12-2012, 11:07 AM

Check the JETS weight room first

Drunken.Broncoholic
05-12-2012, 11:21 AM

Last I heard he was brainstorming a new name for his dog.

Not sure how tebow and Brock can be compared. By the time Brocks pass reaches the reciever tebow is only halfway through his throwing motion. The 2 could not be any more opposite in their throwing/release time. Brock sometimes looks cartoonishly fast. Like you are watching his throwing motion in fast forward mode. That weird sidearm motion has somethin to do with that. He's lucky he's tall or that wouldn't work at all. His passes would hit Walton in the back of the head.

Tombstone RJ
05-12-2012, 12:03 PM
Osweiler has a quick release which is the one thing that elevates his throwing ability over other rook QBs and especially over TT. Other than that, meh. We shall see if he can "develop" into the eventual starter.

Dedhed
05-12-2012, 12:21 PM

Mazzone didn't work with Tebow prior to this off-season, so he had no influence over Tebow last year.

Dedhed
05-12-2012, 12:24 PM
Also, why does every writer still say that he's 6'8"? He measured in at 6'6"+ at the combine.

Drunken.Broncoholic
05-12-2012, 12:33 PM
Mazzone didn't work with Tebow prior to this off-season, so he had no influence over Tebow last year.

Yes he did. He worked with tebow coming out of Florida. This wasnt the first time they worked together.

v2micca
05-12-2012, 12:56 PM
Also, why does every writer still say that he's 6'8"? He measured in at 6'6"+ at the combine.

I know. Seriously, it seemed like the dude was growing an inch in every article I read after the Broncos drafted him. One even listed him at 6'9".

RaiderH8r
05-12-2012, 01:14 PM
I know. Seriously, it seemed like the dude was growing an inch in every article I read after the Broncos drafted him. One even listed him at 6'9".

And he ****s gold nuggets. Brock Osweiler is Bill Bratsky.

Broncobiv
05-12-2012, 01:16 PM
I think his official combine/workout height was 6' 6 7/8". So I call him 6' 7".

Drunken.Broncoholic
05-12-2012, 01:26 PM
Maybe it depends on his hair style. Gel it up a extra inch or 2.

Tombstone RJ
05-12-2012, 01:47 PM

that and his cleats...

DryHeat
05-12-2012, 01:54 PM
Judging by the camp video I saw, it looks like the practice with Osweiler is working.

Crushaholic
05-12-2012, 02:51 PM
Denver is only in trouble if Brock has to start in a year. Hopefully, we have Manning for more than one year.

eddie mac
05-12-2012, 03:01 PM

6'6''+ = plus 2 inches.;D

Gutless Drunk
05-12-2012, 03:23 PM

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/U9nTXHnEBP8?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

GreatBronco16
05-12-2012, 04:18 PM
Tebow never audibled.

Not really wanting to get into this debate, my post was just for ****s and giggles, BUT, Tebow did audible a couple times last year.

lolcopter
05-12-2012, 05:17 PM
Last I heard he was brainstorming a new name for his dog.

lol

too soon

Drek
05-12-2012, 06:32 PM
Yes he did. He worked with tebow coming out of Florida. This wasnt the first time they worked together.

Tebow had a different coach pre-draft. This off-season was the first time he's worked out with Mazzone.

Tebow eventually gave up on improving his release and motion. That is the difference. Coaching only gets you so far.
When did he give up? Because he worked out with the same coach as Osweiler earlier this very off-season.

To the topic at hand though, why are these problems still around if A. Mazzone can fix them and B. Mazzone was Osweiler's OC for two years in college?

Drunken.Broncoholic
05-12-2012, 06:43 PM
Tebow had a different coach pre-draft. This off-season was the first time he's worked out with Mazzone.

When did he give up? Because he worked out with the same coach as Osweiler earlier this very off-season.

To the topic at hand though, why are these problems still around if A. Mazzone can fix them and B. Mazzone was Osweiler's OC for two years in college?

Huh? Google it. Mazzone worked with tebow coming out of Florida on "fundamentals". They've known each other a long time. As far as to why Mazzone and brock did not work on his mechanics while they were together at Arizona st, well you don't need to work on pro style mechanics to succeed at the college level.

GreatBronco16
05-12-2012, 07:03 PM
well you don't need to work on pro style mechanics to succeed at the college level.

Well according to some of the expert QB coaches on this board, pro style mechanics is exactly what Tebow should have been taught in college, some people even saying he should have learned them in pee-wee football.Ha!

Just thought I'd point that out.

Bronco Rob
05-12-2012, 07:18 PM
And he ****s gold nuggets. Brock Osweiler is Bill Bratsky.

;)

R-Mac
05-12-2012, 07:48 PM
I think Osweiler and Philip Rivers have similar throwing motions. It's no big deal as long as the motion is consistent to develop rhythm and anticipation. The delivery is fast and his arm strength is above average.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nfl/story/_/id/7579979/tim-tebow-denver-broncos-working-mechanics-ucla-bruins-oc-noel-mazzone

Mazzone and his son, Taylor, have been working out with Tebow twice a day for a couple of hours at a time since last weekend, Noel Mazzone said Wednesday, hoping to improve upon Tebow's heavily-scrutinized passing ability.

The Mazzones previously worked with Tebow when the Heisman Trophy winner was coming out of Florida and helped him become a first-round pick in 2010. They also worked with him last offseason.

Jay3
05-12-2012, 08:07 PM
Mazzone is in that Tebow documentary about the pre-draft period (the one they show on ESPN). He speaks to the camera during the part about the Senior Bowl being rough.

errand
05-12-2012, 08:27 PM

Or perhaps another way (speculating of course) to look at it is he knew which raw project QB was actually closer to being NFL passer.....and when EFX inquired about Tebow's progress the tutor's report might not have been as favorable as his report on Osweiler...

errand
05-12-2012, 08:33 PM

Who's to say Osweiler hasn't made great strides since his freshman year?

errand
05-12-2012, 08:38 PM
That's not saying much.

You still here?

errand
05-12-2012, 08:41 PM

Well, perhaps he should've......

DryHeat
05-13-2012, 11:50 AM
Well, perhaps he should've......

I'm not aware of any workouts prior to 2012 that Tebow did. But you're right, Tebow's what 25 now? I think it might be too late to become a pro-level NFL passer.

Jay3
05-13-2012, 01:50 PM
I'm not aware of any workouts prior to 2012 that Tebow did. But you're right, Tebow's what 25 now? I think it might be too late to become a pro-level NFL passer.

Good thing he already is.