PDA

View Full Version : CBS SPORTS: - Elway - Xanders - Luke Richesson

Bronco Rob
05-11-2012, 07:47 AM
Xanders had some hits, many misses in Denver

The Sports Xchange Thursday May 10, 2012 - 11:34 PM

Even though his time in the John Elway stewardship only lasted 16 months, former general manager Brian Xanders can point to some successes, starting with the Broncos' work during the harried post-lockout free-agency period last year.

Xanders procured starters on both sides of the football, adding Pro Bowl running back Willis McGahee and defensive tackle Brodrick Bunkley, who arrived via a trade with the Philadelphia Eagles.

But Xanders also failed to net a productive return on the Broncos' starting wide receivers from 2010: Jabar Gaffney and Brandon Lloyd. Gaffney was dealt to the Redskins in training camp for defensive lineman Jeremy Jarmon, who didn't make it out of the preseason, but was brought back as a reserve-future signee in January. Lloyd was swapped to the St. Louis Rams for a fifth-round pick that the Broncos used last month on University of Tennessee defensive end Malik Jackson.

... read more at:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/19011377/xanders-had-some-hits-many-misses-in-denver

Inside Slant

The Sports Xchange Thursday May 10, 2012 - 11:34 PM

Hired by Mike Shanahan, promoted by Josh McDaniels and retained by John Elway, Brian Xanders' four years with the Broncos saw him emerge as one of the few constants amid dizzying tumult.

But as the Broncos finally settle down and embrace a short-term task designed around recently signed quarterback Peyton Manning and a long-term team-building plan around returning defensive rookie of the year Von Miller and second-round pick Brock Osweiler, the clock finally ran out on Xanders on May 7.

The Broncos referred to Xanders' departure not as a dismissal, but a "parting of the ways."

"Brian deserves a tremendous amount of credit and recognition for the contributions he made to the Broncos during his four years with the organization," Elway said in a statement. "His hard work and dedication played a major role in the recent success of our team, most notably last season's division title and playoff win."

... remainder of the article at:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/19011376/inside-slant

ColoradoDarin
05-11-2012, 09:45 AM
Didn't read most of it, but why does Xanders get dinged that we got value for Lloyd (top of the 5th is better than what we could have got in a comp pick) when Lloyd got a less than market pay day?

Seems like that should be a positive for him. Or is that site like a bleacherreport and I should just ignore it as well?

uplink
05-11-2012, 09:46 AM
I guess Elway has promoted guys with scouting background to be his closest advisers running all the football operations.

How will those skill sets impact the running of the broncos? So better evaluation of Free agents etc? Getting better at finding players that fit the style of Fox's team?

uplink
05-11-2012, 09:57 AM
funny that the Denver Post has only produced a minor article about Xanders leaving with little analysis. It not like they have alot to write about this time of year.

Kaylore
05-11-2012, 09:58 AM
I like that Russel is moving up. He was a pretty good linebacker for the Buffs many moons ago, as I recall.

SureShot
05-11-2012, 11:34 AM
I like that Russel is moving up. He was a pretty good linebacker for the Buffs many moons ago, as I recall.

Dude was monster and the best linebacker in the country.

R-Mac
05-11-2012, 11:52 AM
The Gaffney trade was simply awful. First of all, the Broncos should never have traded him. And should we blame Mr. Mike Sullivan for the fact that none of the draft picks have been signed yet? Also, I would like to know which genius gave Joe Mays a $12 million contract with $4.5 million guaranteed.

crush17
05-11-2012, 12:36 PM
The Gaffney trade was simply awful. First of all, the Broncos should never have traded him. And should we blame Mr. Mike Sullivan for the fact that none of the draft picks have been signed yet? Also, I would like to know which genius gave Joe Mays a $12 million contract with $4.5 million guaranteed.

Let the hate flow through you, Skywalker....

Boobs McGee
05-11-2012, 12:44 PM
I'm actually pretty excited about the new Strength and Conditioning going forward. Loved Tuten, but really curious to see how a revamp complete with bigger focus on core exercises affects our (as of late) usual late season collapses.

Good luck Tuten, hello Richesson! Hooray for progression!

Lestat
05-11-2012, 04:26 PM
i really, really, really like that fact that Elway has surrounded himself with guy who can be mini GM's as well as guys who know how to scout. scouting and development is the lifeblood of this business.

Jay3
05-11-2012, 05:15 PM
Didn't read most of it, but why does Xanders get dinged that we got value for Lloyd (top of the 5th is better than what we could have got in a comp pick) when Lloyd got a less than market pay day?

Seems like that should be a positive for him. Or is that site like a bleacherreport and I should just ignore it as well?

That trade just didn't make any sense to me -- why do you get rid of your best receive just because he kind of wants to go? He could have helped in the playoff run, and if he were still here, he might have resigned because of Peyton Manning.

Brandon Lloyd, Demaryius Thomas, and Decker is a very balanced receiving corps in terms of experience and their strengths and weaknesses.

For some reason, the Broncos follow the rule of "we've decide to move on and the guy asked to be traded."

But Brandon Lloyd was a very serviceable veteran receiver.

Broncobiv
05-11-2012, 06:08 PM
[yet another Bronco Rob "cut and paste special"]

Honor original content We ask that you honor original content produced by other sites by giving proper credit, URLs, author names, and most importantly please use excerpts and not post full stories. People are trying to make a living out there providing content, and this forum aims be a symbiotic towards increasing the economy for those providing content, and not be a detriment to their efforts.
:pity:

Swedish Extrovert
05-11-2012, 06:19 PM
:pity:

Eh... BroncoRob is basically a troll.

He's been called out on this multiple times by multiple posters... including TJ, so I just ignore him.

Broncobiv
05-11-2012, 06:22 PM
Eh... BroncoRob is basically a troll.

He's been called out on this multiple times by multiple posters... including TJ, so I just ignore him.

And TheDave misses out on another list...

Poor guy.

Swedish Extrovert
05-11-2012, 06:26 PM
And TheDave misses out on another list...

Poor guy.

You really have to be quite a moron to get on my block list.

Cito Pelon
05-11-2012, 06:33 PM
So which is it - Elway approved all roster moves, or Xanders is responsible??? People will pick and choose, like with McD it was all his fault for Ayers, Alphonso and McBath, Mike Nolan had nothing to do with those picks.

DENVERDUI55
05-11-2012, 06:56 PM
Ignore is for the weak.

Swedish Extrovert
05-11-2012, 07:23 PM
Ignore is for the weak.

Ignore is for people who have better things to do with their time than argue with morons.

Bronco Rob
05-11-2012, 07:54 PM
Ignore is for people who have better things to do with their time than argue with morons.

I guess you must be still buttsore after the beatdown I gave you in the other thread...

And who has called me out?

Want some?

Get some.

oubronco
05-11-2012, 07:55 PM
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/061/294/1106514-cool_story_bro_super.jpg?1279885294

TheReverend
05-11-2012, 07:57 PM
I really like Bronco Rob and what he does. I would never see half of these articles if it werent for him. Dont get the criticizing "cut and paste" when he's the one driving discussions with material.

Oh and ol#7 is awesome.

Bronco Rob
05-11-2012, 07:59 PM
Too funny....

Been here since day one and I have these new jacks calling me a troll...

Know your place...

ColoradoDarin
05-11-2012, 08:02 PM
No one looked twice at me comparing CBSsports to Bleacher Report? Hahhahahah!

Broncos_OTM
05-11-2012, 08:05 PM

amen!!

Drek
05-11-2012, 08:12 PM
I really like Bronco Rob and what he does. I would never see half of these articles if it werent for him. Dont get the criticizing "cut and paste" when he's the one driving discussions with material.

Oh and ol#7 is awesome.

The complaint against him is that posting whole articles results in TJ catching a ton of ****. If he'd select excerpts and provide links it would be a complete non-issue for most. Posting full articles will result in TJ getting all kinds of nasty emails when/if the owners of said material take action.

I generally got not problem with it. But this has been a problem on other forums I've frequented and can turn into a legitimate issue.

Broncos_OTM
05-11-2012, 08:12 PM

Oh and ol#7 is awesome.I agree rev. as far as i have read if content is being "stolen" they have a possibility of shutting down shop here. Rob, just copy half the link we can go to the site. and read the rest. you get to find us great broncos news. taco is happy. and your detractors won't troll your threads. win all around

Swedish Extrovert
05-11-2012, 08:24 PM
TJ's exact words were "A couple sentences with a link probably won't get us into trouble."

I've posted plenty of threads based around an article. It's good for discussion. I usually sum up the article myself in about a sentence and post the link, followed by my own comments.

I think that is perfectly reasonable.

Swedish Extrovert
05-11-2012, 08:25 PM
I was a Navy Journalist and my work has been ripped off before. I aired an op-ed and got a guy fired.

broncogary
05-11-2012, 08:28 PM
Too funny....

Been here since day one and I have these new jacks calling me a troll...

Know your place...

The point is to post just the first paragraph or so of the article so the Mane doesn't get in trouble for violating copyright laws.

Bronco Rob
05-11-2012, 08:56 PM
The point is to post just the first paragraph or so of the article so the Mane doesn't get in trouble for violating copyright laws.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpost.php?p=3583017&postcount=81

How's that working out for ya Donny...

Knowitall

KipCorrington25
05-12-2012, 12:57 AM
When Xanders came out with his excuses after what McCheat did claiming he had no input I knew he was worthless as tits on a boar. No loss here.