PDA

View Full Version : Mayan Calendar that extends into "billions, trillions, octillion years into the future" found

Taco John
05-11-2012, 02:13 AM
Not that I was ever worried... ::)

The oldest-known version of the ancient Maya calendar has been discovered adorning a lavishly painted wall in the ruins of a city deep in the Guatemalan rainforest.

"The Mayan calendar is going to keep going for billions, trillions, octillions of years into the future," said archaeologist David Stuart of the University of Texas, who worked to decipher the glyphs. "Numbers we can't even wrap our heads around."

http://www.livescience.com/20218-apocalypse-oldest-mayan-calendar.html

orinjkrush
05-11-2012, 02:41 AM
drat. now i wish i hadn't sold everything and started living in a tent.

Broncos_OTM
05-11-2012, 03:53 AM
well we as humans ain't gonna make it that far, that's for sure

Kaylore
05-11-2012, 05:25 AM
This would be like if someone dug up some graph or timeline we made and we had it end at 3000 or whenever. The smart man would say "that's too far in the future to practically need to include a later date." The sensationalist would say "prophets from the past predict world will end in 3000!!!"

Old Dude
05-11-2012, 06:06 AM
This new thing is probably just a cover story to fool all of us poor and middle-class people while the rich ones complete the building of their super-subs and spaceships.

2KBack
05-11-2012, 06:09 AM
it actually isn't news that the Mayans had calendars that go beyond 2012. when I was volunteering in Guatemala I asked someone about that. One Calendar ends in 2012, then another begins. That said, the reason that one stops there is the end of an age, and there was predicted to be a change or transition. The world is predicted to be different after that date...for whatever that may mean.

sgbfan
05-11-2012, 06:13 AM
drat. now i wish i hadn't sold everything and started living in a tent.

At least you were sticking with Orangemane until the bitter end!

TheReverend
05-11-2012, 06:15 AM
Baja is shivering in the fetal position in some shower somewhere under the disappointment that another crack-pot belief sinks to the bottom of the sea.

DBroncos4life
05-11-2012, 06:20 AM
Baja is shivering in the fetal position in some shower somewhere under the disappointment that another crack-pot belief sinks to the bottom of the sea.

I'm thinking he will go with this is just what the American government wants us to believe because we are all sheep.

it actually isn't news that the Mayans had calendars that go beyond 2012. when I was volunteering in Guatemala I asked someone about that. One Calendar ends in 2012, then another begins. That said, the reason that one stops there is the end of an age, and there was predicted to be a change or transition. The world is predicted to be different after that date...for whatever that may mean.

Even the Mayans knew how epic Manning to the Broncos would be Ha!

Hulamau
05-11-2012, 06:24 AM
Who gives a shiat what some quasi-neanderthal civilization 'projected' as so called knowledge of the future? The sad truth is a fair portion of the population who freaks out over all that needs to feel themselves under constant threat to feel alive. Maybe they are just too bored with their lives ...

Kaylore
05-11-2012, 06:44 AM

He still thinks I have to wear tire-armor to work and battle barbarians for food in the thunderdome everyday. The US is GONE....according to Baja.

Rohirrim
05-11-2012, 06:53 AM
This is going to screw up my end-of-the-world party plans.

TheReverend
05-11-2012, 07:08 AM
He still thinks I have to wear tire-armor to work and battle barbarians for food in the thunderdome everyday. The US is GONE....according to Baja.

...You don't?

*Sad Mad Max walks away*

BroncoBuff
05-11-2012, 07:17 AM
Party-poopers. Just let it go, let people have something to talk about.

Reminds me of the wet blankets who constantly reminded us "the millenium's actually not until next year."

BroncoBeavis
05-11-2012, 07:19 AM
Pssssh.

Don't you think the timing of this "discovery" is kinda strange? This has Illuminati written all over it.

Jay3
05-11-2012, 07:21 AM
Does this mean we can sequels to the movie 2012?

Kaylore
05-11-2012, 07:23 AM
...You don't?

*Sad Mad Max walks away*

Not since wolf boy killed my tranny with a boomerang.

TheReverend
05-11-2012, 07:30 AM
Not since wolf boy killed my tranny with a boomerang.

2013 is the year the movie "2012" goes from the Action rack to the Comedy shelf.

bowtown
05-11-2012, 07:54 AM
2013 is the year the movie "2012" goes from the Action rack to the Comedy shelf.

Too late. That event happened upon its release to video.

Comedy shelf, drama rack, release to video... how old are we?

baja
05-11-2012, 08:09 AM
No No it's gotta end I got stock options.....

Seriously most people that think there is something to this are looking at the completion of a 26,000 year cycle and are expecting changes to happen but not the end of life on the planet although there are potentials sitting out there that could cause much upheaval. At any rate the wise choice is enjoy the day to the fullest. It's a glorious day here, how is it where you are?

TheReverend
05-11-2012, 08:14 AM
Too late. That event happened upon its release to video.

Comedy shelf, drama rack, release to video... how old are we?

Well at least we're not so old that we couldnt handle those changes and would instead be forced into a magical fantasy world were bad is good and good is bad and ancient mystics held answers long since lost

Garcia Bronco
05-11-2012, 08:14 AM
Leap year...Mayan...think about it.

uplink
05-11-2012, 09:18 AM
interesting that it was found just in time to stop the last minute scare but not so soon as to stop the media and movie content from airing.

Broncos4tw
05-11-2012, 09:44 AM
Of course nothing is going to happen - it's going to be a day like any other. The Mayans certainly never predicted anything. On previous end of cycles, it was simply a cause for celebration - build a new temple, call it all good. They never predicted any event. Nor did Nostradamus, as some people mistakenly believe. It all sprung from the very poor and badly done research of a dude named Sitchen. His mangled translations and wild theories regarding ancient artwork led to all of this mumbo jumbo. He look any writings that talked about the Mayans belief in gods (i.e. stars, planets, etc.) and turned them all into alien invaders.

Why did Sitchen make all these theories? Well, it would be the FOURTEEN books he wrote and put up for sale. Yes.. this entire thing was fueled by one guys desire to make $$$ from gullible new-ages. Like a couple that visit this site. He was pretty successful at it too, until his recent death.

The entire 2012 fiasco was created by someone who lived by Hull's credo, "There's a sucker born every minute."

Requiem
05-11-2012, 09:47 AM
Who gives a shiat what some quasi-neanderthal civilization 'projected' as so called knowledge of the future? The sad truth is a fair portion of the population who freaks out over all that needs to feel themselves under constant threat to feel alive. Maybe they are just too bored with their lives ...

Calling the Mayan's a quasi-neanderthal civilization is pretty repulsive. Their contributions to humanity are impeccable.

Kaylore
05-11-2012, 09:49 AM
Neanderthal's were pretty bright too. Same goes for the Phillistines. It seems like a lot of peoples get unfairly labeled as stupid.

Broncos4tw
05-11-2012, 09:51 AM
Leap year...Mayan...think about it.

Well, actually, the Mayan calendar was a bit more accurate than the Gregorian calendar. Solar year is 365.2422 days. Gregorian is 365.2452, and the Mayan is 365.2420 days.

Not that means anything - being able to create a really great system of time keeping, and being savvy on astral bodies, hardly makes your civilization a whiz at predicting future events.

Requiem
05-11-2012, 09:53 AM
Neanderthal's were pretty bright too. Same goes for the Phillistines. It seems like a lot of peoples get unfairly labeled as stupid.

Neanderthals were awesome too. I'm surprised Hulamalu used it in a pejorative sense. I guess I just take issue due to my schooling and background. Haters gonna hate.

gyldenlove
05-11-2012, 10:54 AM

In the interest of fairness and balance I will lable everyone stupid.

BroncoBeavis
05-11-2012, 10:58 AM

This unfortunate moment in message board spelling history brought to you by Google Chrome.

Google Chrome... insult away! We've got you (at least your spelling) covered. :)

TheReverend
05-11-2012, 11:00 AM
This unfortunate moment in message board spelling history brought to you by Google Chrome.

Google Chrome... insult away! We've got you (at least your spelling) covered. :)

Maybe its that funky spelling foreign English... colour and what-not.

bombay
05-11-2012, 11:46 AM
I thought it said Marie Calendar. Someone get me a pie.

alkemical
05-11-2012, 12:03 PM

Basshole.

BroncoBeavis
05-11-2012, 12:34 PM
Maybe its that funky spelling foreign English... colour and what-not.

Damned limeys and their English English. :)

BroncoMan4ever
05-11-2012, 12:35 PM
Yeah the mayan calendar thing was a misinterpretation. The calendar ending in 2012 was just the end of an era for them that lasts like 5000 years. A new era is about to begin, not the end of the world.

However in case i am wrong and society falls apart in December I've got lots of ammo to take anyone who ****s with me to the grave

maher_tyler
05-11-2012, 12:46 PM
Yeah the mayan calendar thing was a misinterpretation. The calendar ending in 2012 was just the end of an era for them that lasts like 5000 years. A new era is about to begin, not the end of the world.

However in case i am wrong and society falls apart in December I've got lots of ammo to take anyone who ****s with me to the grave

I thought the whole thing was stupid to begin with. When our calendar expires it doesn't mark the end of the world. They just print out new ones...which is much easier than carving or painting it on some stone. Theirs were/are a way more advanced version.

Meck77
05-11-2012, 12:55 PM
No No it's gotta end I got stock options.....

Seriously most people that think there is something to this are looking at the completion of a 26,000 year cycle and are expecting changes to happen but not the end of life on the planet although there are potentials sitting out there that could cause much upheaval. At any rate the wise choice is enjoy the day to the fullest. It's a glorious day here, how is it where you are?

Well the lizard people you spoke about have invaded America. Starvation is increasing and chaos is setting in like you said it would. Kaylore just pmed me asking if I had any extra goats. I'm down to just three as the police confiscated 9 of them for themselves.

I'm afraid cannibalism is right around the corner. Do you have John of Gods phone number? Maybe he can help us savages in America!

The quickening! The quickening! Vibrational forces are setting in! Swine flu! Bird Flu! help us baja!!!!!!!!!! I should have had seeds and hand tools!

baja
05-11-2012, 01:08 PM
Well the lizard people you spoke about have invaded America. Starvation is increasing and chaos is setting in like you said it would. Kaylore just pmed me asking if I had any extra goats. I'm afraid cannibalism is right around the corner. Do you have John of Gods phone number? Maybe he can help us savages in America!

The quickening! The quickening! Vibrational forces are setting in. Swine flu! Bird Flu! help us baja!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously do you even post anymore without first quoting me.

I almost never quote you or respond to you. Yet here you are like some jilted lover chasing me around the forums.

Dude I feel embarrassed for you, you do realize who it is you are exposing here right?

hint; look in the mirror to see your boogie man.

UberBroncoMan
05-11-2012, 01:20 PM
well we as humans ain't gonna make it that far, that's for sure

Earth isn't for that matter.

Meck77
05-11-2012, 01:36 PM
Baja it's just fun to quote your delusional thoughts. Now excuse me while I go take a bath in spinach and strawberry juice. I read from one of your posts it will help the aging process! Just hope the neighbors don't find out I have spinach. Of course the spinach could contain a government made disease made to kill me....

fdf
05-11-2012, 03:06 PM
This would be like if someone dug up some graph or timeline we made and we had it end at 3000 or whenever. The smart man would say "that's too far in the future to practically need to include a later date." The sensationalist would say "prophets from the past predict world will end in 3000!!!"

And if they read news from the 1990's, they would conclude that the world ended already as of Jan 1, 2000.

uplink
05-11-2012, 03:15 PM

I don't think Neanderthal's were bright, they had a good brain size but their body required so much energy to run that they couldn't have been able to feed the brain as well as the pre-humans.

Archer81
05-11-2012, 03:25 PM
I don't think Neanderthal's were bright, they had a good brain size but their body required so much energy to run that they couldn't have been able to feed the brain as well as the pre-humans.

Neanderthal brains were larger than ours on average. They probably did not develop complex speech. Couple their dietary needs with the end of an iceage, killing their prey animals and you have the end of a human species.

:Broncos:

Gort
05-11-2012, 03:51 PM
This new thing is probably just a cover story to fool all of us poor and middle-class people while the rich ones complete the building of their super-subs and spaceships.

i doubt more than a handful of people here will understand this response, but i'll post it anyway. :)

just make sure you're on the first spaceship!

http://www.naderlibrary.com/ahitchscreen121.jpg

broncosteven
05-11-2012, 05:46 PM
Calling the Mayan's a quasi-neanderthal civilization is pretty repulsive. Their contributions to humanity are impeccable.

Gruesome public executions? Maize? Citites that were overpopulated and used up the natural resources for miles around?

Or do you just like the Hotties who's ancestors are Mayan?

broncosteven
05-11-2012, 05:52 PM
I know a guy who's dad was sitting in a car with a dude and ... well you all know where I am going with this...

FLOATING ALIENS!

Archer81
05-11-2012, 05:56 PM
Smart enough to figure out 0. Not smart enough to mimic that shape in stone, twin it and attach it to an axle.

Hmm...

:Broncos:

Cito Pelon
05-11-2012, 06:42 PM
What's amazing is we're still finding ancient ruins and treasures in that area. It's amazing what prior civilizations built up that we have no knowledge of. Conquering civilizations tend to destroy what was there before and build up their own societal image.