PDA

View Full Version : Denver Now Has Hope At Defensive Tackle

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Bacchus
06-03-2012, 07:47 PM
Bannan graded out at a +12.3 run stop rating so I guess the RB's running at him had skates on as well. Buffalo, tried picking up Siliga last year off our PS. Late last season, Buffalo tried to sign Siliga to its 53-man roster, but after playing his college ball at the University of Utah, he felt more comfortable in Denver. Keeping Siliga and Bannan add Stroud and Carter. Drop Warren, Beal and Mitch Unrein. Maybe Hunter as well.

Good Bannan interview.
http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/videos/OTAs-Day-Two-Bannan/ba423555-7198-48ac-b7d8-6d9b2557903d

I'd like to keep Unrein into training camp. I think he has potential.

SoCalBronco
06-03-2012, 07:58 PM
Penny wise pound foolish...

Par for the course for the FO.

DBroncos4life
06-03-2012, 08:19 PM
I'd like to keep Unrein into training camp. I think he has potential.

That is fine. Does he have any PS time left? Clearly Stroud and Bannan are not part of a long term plan. Keeping young guys to develop is never a bad idea.

Vickerson, Bannan, Siliga, Wolfe, Garland, and Stroud at DT's wouldn't be that bad. Though 6 DT's might be too many which mean Garland might not have a place on the roster if Stroud is healthy enough to play.

We had McBean, Thomas, Bunkley last year and who else really?

Ayers and Jackson have the ability to play DT as well.

Really out of Stroud or Carter I would rather have Carter to help Doom and Miller out.

Bacchus
06-03-2012, 08:52 PM
That is fine. Does he have any PS time left? Clearly Stroud and Bannan are not part of a long term plan. Keeping young guys to develop is never a bad idea.

Vickerson, Bannan, Siliga, Wolfe, Garland, and Stroud at DT's wouldn't be that bad. Though 6 DT's might be too many which mean Garland might not have a place on the roster if Stroud is healthy enough to play.

We had McBean, Thomas, Bunkley last year and who else really?

Ayers and Jackson have the ability to play DT as well.

Really out of Stroud or Carter I would rather have Carter to help Doom and Miller out.

I like the team as is. Bring in Stroud if you want but really, I want no part of Carter.

DBroncos4life
06-03-2012, 09:19 PM
I like the team as is. Bring in Stroud if you want but really, I want no part of Carter.

Carter would us another proven pass rusher off the bench.

SoCalBronco
06-03-2012, 09:22 PM
I suspect we will try to add another DT from the training camp cuts to supplement the depth at the position. Other than that, I don't see much else that can be done at this late date (they might also beleive Ayers would be better as a DT in this scheme, although that is just speculative on my part). That's why it would be most ratonal to keep Warren, even if he is overpaid. There is little prejudice to the club at this point since we're still well under the cap and don't appear to be on the verge of doing any more spending prior to camp, anyway. So I don't see the benefit in dicking around with him...unless ofcourse bean counting continues to remain more important than football (cough Ellis cough).

Shananahan
06-03-2012, 09:36 PM
At this point I'd honestly rather see them just cut bait with the guy and sign somebody like Marcus Thomas.

Warren sure as hell isn't going to get any better than his broken-down self already is.

eddie mac
06-03-2012, 09:51 PM
We've the worst interior DL on paper in the NFL, whether Warren stays or goes isn't going to make a blind bit of difference. The only thing that can save that unit is defensive scheming. They got really lucky with Bunkley last year and maybe lightning can strike twice with another unknown/previously unheralded player. All I can say is at this point I hope Manning can put plenty of points on the board cos I dont fancy our chances having to defend close games 2 seasons in a row.

Tombstone RJ
06-03-2012, 10:25 PM
We've the worst interior DL on paper in the NFL, whether Warren stays or goes isn't going to make a blind bit of difference. The only thing that can save that unit is defensive scheming. They got really lucky with Bunkley last year and maybe lightning can strike twice with another unknown/previously unheralded player. All I can say is at this point I hope Manning can put plenty of points on the board cos I dont fancy our chances having to defend close games 2 seasons in a row.

If Warren is healthy it will definitely help.

SoCalBronco
06-03-2012, 11:05 PM

The problem with things right now is that they are making their biggest weakness even bigger. Yes, Warren didnt earn his pay last year and even if he plays this year he's not likely to fully earn it either but so what? Beggars cant be choosers (we're definitely beggars if we intend on using the MethWolfe at DE rather than DT). It's not worth getting into a dick measuring contest over. We don't have a winning hand, so just leave him alone. This is how people were going to attack us anyway: run right up the middle, since our MLB isn't that good and our DTs arent either. Not only is that where the personnel is weak, but it also burns clock and if they can do it consistently, they can deprive Manning of about 2 possessions per game (assuming they can eat up at least 34-35 of the 60 minutes).

You have to have Wolfe at DT, unless they want Ayers to gain 10 pounds and play DT. Then I could understand it, because he is already a good run defender. Muscle him up some more and he could be a good 4-3 DT (ofcourse, he'd be learning something new and there would be transition costs), but its at least a credible theory. Outside of this, I don't see how you can play Wolfe at DE. It doesnt make a ton of sense. Schematically, the other way you can do it is align in a "Bear" front, that is, with the C and BOTH G covered by down lineman. That will eliminate most runs up the middle. It usually requires an eight man front to accomplish this, which will limit what you can do in coverage to basically 3 things only. You can accomplish this look in a 7 man front, but it would kind of have to be from a 3-4 look rather than 4-3 (stand up WOLB, WILB over LT, DE over LG, DT over C, DE over RG, SILB over RT, SOLB over TE). It is a weak look vs. plays to the perimeter and your ILB will have to fight off the tackles every play with little to no help. This front is generally used when you have a dominant NT and you want to avoid a double team by covering those guards who would otherwise be available to double team). Here, we are just trying to protect against a weak middle.

There will need ot be some serious scheming to overcome this fundamental problem. I think Bannan is a GOOD run defending DT. But they could double him with the center (if he lines up at 1) and whoever is at 3 will be easily single blocked cause they arent good enough, and vice versa if he's at 3.

TonyR
06-04-2012, 07:05 AM
Mark Kiszla suggests the Broncos move on from Ty Warren, adopting Mike Klis's populist tact of highlighting the salaries Warren has been paid over the past two seasons in New England and Denver.

Why should the Broncos, or us fans, care what New England paid Warren in 2010? We shouldn't, because it's irrelevant. All that does is paint Warren as an overpaid underperformer; he has been anything but that during his career. Some DP readers are likely substituting for his name some iteration of fat cat and lazy bum. Indeed, the first commenter had the incredible nerve to compare Warren to perennial malcontent Albert Haynesworth.

What does Warren's 2010 salary have to do with what he should be paid in 2012? Honestly, nothing.

Does Warren owe the Broncos? Not really. They knew when they signed him that his health was/is a great risk, and that veteran players do not lose their salaries when injury strikes is one of the more just NFL compensation rules.

At a time when we are finally starting to understand the long-term consequences of a career spent hitting other 300-plus-pound men 40 or 50 times a game, it's obnoxious for anyone not named Ty Warren to decide how much Warren should be willing to play for in 2012.

Not that Kiszla is doing that. In fact, Kiz doesn't blame Warren for his injuries, and he specifically points out that Ty is not known as a lazy player.

But the reality here is that the Broncos gave Warren a two-year contract, and it is the Broncos who are now choosing not to honor that agreement.

Kiszla may be right in suggesting the Broncos move on. And the Broncos may also be correct in thinking Warren isn't worth more than a million-dollar gamble this season.

But I hope fans won't paint Warren as selfish, or lazy, or not doing right by the Broncos. He's been a first-team All-Pro, he helped his New England teammates win three AFC titles and two Super Bowls. Ty Warren has nothing left to prove, not even to us.

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/the-daily-lard-6-3-12

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_20769999/kiszla-fido-best-tactic-broncos-take-ty-warren-broncos

LetsGoBroncos
06-06-2012, 01:26 PM
Lindsay Jones ‏@PostBroncos
Well well well .... Ty Warren at the podium

Lindsay Jones ‏@PostBroncos
Warren: "Ultimately we found middle ground and got the deal done behind closed doors" #broncos

Beantown Bronco
06-06-2012, 01:28 PM
I'm guessing $2 mil + performance incentives.

Tombstone RJ
06-06-2012, 01:31 PM
Yes!!

BMarsh615
06-06-2012, 01:31 PM
Defensive tackle Ty Warren agreed to a restructured contract, the team announced on Wednesday. The 10th-year player participated in the Broncos’ OTA practice earlier this morning.

“Ultimately we met in a middle ground and got the deal done,” Warren said.

Warren, who was signed by Denver prior to the 2011 season, was injured during training camp and spent the 2011 season on injured reserve.

“It definitely was a blow,” Warren said about missing the season. “I had every intention to come in, earn my spot and make an impact.”
He spent the first eight years of his career with the Patriots, where he earned a pair of Super Bowl wins and a Pro Bowl selection (2007). Warren has totaled 374 tackles, 21 sacks, four forced fumbles and six fumble recoveries in 105 career games (92 starts).

Warren adds depth and competition to an interior defensive line that added defensive tackles Justin Bannan and Derek Wolfe via free agency and the draft, respectively — along with the return of Kevin Vickerson, who missed most of the 2011 season with an injury. Ben Garland returns to compete for a roster spot (http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Airman-Stays-Grounded/3f226845-3ff8-4972-9f9d-c57554a666bc) as well, after the 1st Lt. was granted separation from the U.S. Air Force (http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/garland-granted-new-opportunity/). First-year tackle Sealver Siliga and third-year player Mitch Unrein round out the unit.

“I feel good,” Warren said. “I’m definitely much lighter than I was when I got here last year. I’m pretty much at my ideal weight.”
“I know I can contribute anywhere on the defensive line if need be,” he continued. “It’s really up to them. It’s their job to plug me in. … My main goal is to get in the best shape I can. As long as I’m in shape, the physicality part I’ve been doing it since I was 8.”

-Stuart Zaas

http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/broncos-warren-agree-on-restructured-contract/

Tombstone RJ
06-06-2012, 01:38 PM
Nice, I'm glad the Broncos got it done with Warren. I feel better about the dline now, it's at least got some depth.

cousinal11
06-06-2012, 01:39 PM
sweet

Drunken.Broncoholic
06-06-2012, 01:47 PM
Let's just hope he at least gets on the field this time.

lonestar
06-06-2012, 01:47 PM
Wanna bet he is on IR again this year?

Have little faith in him ever performing to earn his money..

Lets hope they put loads of incentives in there to make him earn every dime..

ozomulsion
06-06-2012, 01:56 PM
I give it a 50/50 chance that he makes it through the whole season uninjured. Even with those odds, I'm very very excited to hear this!!

pricejj
06-06-2012, 02:08 PM
YEAH!! ~ freaka ~ freaka

That takes a ton of pressure off of Wolfe. Now we have 2 freaking solid UT's for the first time in history.

The D-Line is suddenly crowded, after having nothing at the start of FA... I could even see them plugging in Warren instead of Dumervil on running downs.

Yet another great move during the best offseason in Broncos history. :sunshine:

crush17
06-06-2012, 02:10 PM
**** yes! So glad to hear this news!

Bronco Rob
06-06-2012, 02:24 PM
Warren is back at Broncos camp.

The veteran defensive tackle agreed to a renegotiated contract with the team Wednesday morning and participated in the Broncos' organized team activity session.

Warren had previously been sitting out OTAs after the team asked him to take a pay cut from his scheduled salary of about $4 million. Terms of his new contract have not yet been disclosed, but the contract has been filed with the NFL today.

"You've got to respect the team's stance on trying to make things work for their side, and at that point I had to evaluate what I had to do for my family and I and ultimately we met in middle ground and we got the deal done, as the deal should be done behind closed doors," Warren said.

"I'm happy that it's done."

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20796987?utm_medium=facebook

TonyR
06-06-2012, 02:28 PM
Win!!!

Beantown Bronco
06-06-2012, 02:29 PM
at that point I had to evaluate what I had to do for my family and I and ultimately we met in middle ground and we got the deal done

In other words, "I asked my agent to check with the other 31 teams and none of them would pay me even close to $4 mil to play this year, so I'm happy to be a Bronco."

Kaylore
06-06-2012, 02:37 PM
There will need ot be some serious scheming to overcome this fundamental problem. I think Bannan is a GOOD run defending DT. But they could double him with the center (if he lines up at 1) and whoever is at 3 will be easily single blocked cause they arent good enough, and vice versa if he's at 3.

They only have five guys and a TE. You think they go two on Bannon, one on "other guy". That leaves single assignments on the edges, unless you keep a tight end in to block. It's not perfect but if ANY of our defensive tackles command a double-team in any down and distance then we're doing way better than I hoped coming into this season.

Kaylore
06-06-2012, 02:37 PM
In other words, "I asked my agent to check with the other 31 teams and none of them would pay me even close to $4 mil to play this year, so I'm happy to be a Bronco."

This.

SonOfLe-loLang
06-06-2012, 02:46 PM
They only have five guys and a TE. You think they go two on Bannon, one on "other guy". That leaves single assignments on the edges, unless you keep a tight end in to block. It's not perfect but if ANY of our defensive tackles command a double-team in any down and distance then we're doing way better than I hoped coming into this season.

ha! yep!

But since we need as much help as we can get, and he is a talented player when on the field, this isnt bad news

Heyneck
06-06-2012, 02:55 PM
any of you guys notice the Woodyard article on the denverpost where he talks about the open competition come training camp. I found that the most interesting Bronco subject of the day.

"Everyone wants to be a starter. This year, it's going to be an open competition once we start summer camp, so I feel like my options are open everywhere that I would have gone to," Woodyard said.
Read more: Broncos linebacker Wesley Woodyard finds an opportunity - The Denver Post (http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20790440/broncos-linebacker-wesley-woodyard-finds-an-opportunity?source=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+dp-sports-broncos+%28Denver+Post%3A+Sports%3A+Broncos%29#ixz z1x35T8gPo) http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20790440/broncos-linebacker-wesley-woodyard-finds-an-opportunity?source=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+dp-sports-broncos+%28Denver+Post%3A+Sports%3A+Broncos%29#ixz z1x35T8gPo
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

cutthemdown
06-06-2012, 02:57 PM
any of you guys notice the Woodyard article on the denverpost where he talks about the open competition come training camp. I found that the most interesting Bronco subject of the day.

Broncos would love for him to outplay DJ and win that job.

Smiling Assassin27
06-06-2012, 02:58 PM
Until the guy actually does more than cash Bowlen's checks, I'll file this news under 'big f-in deal'.

Jetmeck
06-06-2012, 02:58 PM
Any one DT requiring a double team will open up our ends for a great season
of QB devastation. Any one DT who can push the middle to stop the QB from stepping up away from our ends and we instantly have a top notch 3rd down defense.............with the back side help we have signed this year.

I see a lot of picks from scrambling QBs this year..................

I see Matt Cassell on his ass.................

DBroncos4life
06-06-2012, 03:06 PM
Broncos would love for him to outplay DJ and win that job.

They have been waiting for what 4 years now? I doubt it happens this year either.

cutthemdown
06-06-2012, 03:08 PM
If a big guy like Warren is healthy, with his football skills no way he doesn't give us some help. His injuries weren't really ones you worry too much about. Not his knee or a join, a torn muscle can heal up 100%.

mwill07
06-06-2012, 03:09 PM
Any one DT requiring a double team will open up our ends for a great season
of QB devastation. Any one DT who can push the middle to stop the QB from stepping up away from our ends and we instantly have a top notch 3rd down defense.............with the back side help we have signed this year.

I see a lot of picks from scrambling QBs this year..................

I see Matt Cassell on his ass.................

this makes me smile. I like it.

lol at anyone double teaming any of our DT's though - opposition will be focused on Doom/Von coming off of the edges and our DT's will have a clear shot. Any penetration at all, and they will be harassing QB's all day.

Or, they will keep the RB in to help out with the DT, and all of a sudden, Mays is no longer a liability in coverage!

Hulamau
06-06-2012, 03:38 PM
So amusing to read all the 'Warren sucks' posts from the last weeks .. The guy has had some crappy bad injury luck the last year but I'm happy as a clam he's on board and apparently healthier and feeling better than he has since High school according to his video pressor on DB.com.

The guy has been a stand up team player in NE his whole career and has been an always solid and at time dominant player along the Dline. He knows how to stuff the run AND pressure the QB.

He only adds strength and experience to our Dline and is great for the younger guys to learn from as well. Warren was here all last year attending team meetings and film sessions with the defense from day one so he 's up to speed with what they are doing and no doubt will be a bit asset for us this year ... with jsut a little injury luck.

And for the weight bean counters here he is at 310 now which he said is his ideal weight for this time of year and often translates to a bit over 300 after training camp which is where he has rumbled his whole career playing every position along the D line.

This is a win for us all around.

Hulamau
06-06-2012, 03:45 PM
So amusing to read all the 'Warren sucks' posts from the last weeks .. The guy has had some crappy bad injury luck the last couple years, but is fine now and fresher than hes been in his career he claims. He made be a 10 year vet but with two less years of wear and tear on his body.

I'm happy as a clam he's on board and apparently healthier and feeling better than he has since High school according to his video pressor on DB.com.

The guy has been a stand up team player in NE his whole career and has been an always solid and at time dominant player along the Dline. He knows how to stuff the run AND pressure the QB.

He only adds strength and experience to our Dline and is great for the younger guys to learn from as well. Warren was here all last year attending team meetings and film sessions with the defense from day one so he's up to speed with what they are doing and no doubt will be a big asset for us this year ... with just a little injury luck.

And for the weight bean counters here he is at 310 now which he said is his ideal weight for this time of year and often translates to a bit over 300 after training camp which is where he has rumbled his whole career playing every position along the D line.

The guy will be great for Wolfe as well, who Warren said he expects to become a special player on the D line after watching film on him at UConn. Now Wolfe has Bannen, Warren and Vickerson as more vet guys to learn from and both Warren and Bannen knows what it take to build a championship caliber Dline.

This is a win for us all around, things are shaping up nicely for our front 7 overall. A definite improvement from last year, especially with everyone .. Von included, having a real offseason for a change. I expect our D will be playing at top 10, or at the very least no worst than top 15 level by mid season if not all year. And possibly considerably better with all the changes and improvements in the front 7 and with the definitely stronger DB group this year ... not to mention Del Rio running the show.

BroncoMan4ever
06-06-2012, 03:56 PM
They have been waiting for what 4 years now? I doubt it happens this year either.

97 tackles and 2 FF last year starting only a handful of games. and realistically it isn't like DJ is setting the bar that high. most of his tackles come from running down ball carriers who have already gotten past him. if WW shows he can hold down the spot at that same level it wouldn't surprise me to see DJ looking for a new home.

Lestat
06-06-2012, 05:52 PM
this is the best news possible at this juncture. just huge to be able to potentially have Warren and Wolfe as the starting DT's this season. makes the razor thin DT depth less razor thin.
plus if he plays well and regains his old form you can sign him to an extension.

baja
06-06-2012, 06:04 PM
So amusing to read all the 'Warren sucks' posts from the last weeks .. The guy has had some crappy bad injury luck the last couple years, but is fine now and fresher than hes been in his career he claims. He made be a 10 year vet but with two less years of wear and tear on his body.

I'm happy as a clam he's on board and apparently healthier and feeling better than he has since High school according to his video pressor on DB.com.

He only adds strength and experience to our Dline and is great for the younger guys to learn from as well. Warren was here all last year attending team meetings and film sessions with the defense from day one so he's up to speed with what they are doing and no doubt will be a big asset for us this year ... with just a little injury luck.

The guy will be great for Wolfe as well, who Warren said he expects to become a special player on the D line after watching film on him at UConn. Now Wolfe has Bannen, Warren and Vickerson as more vet guys to learn from and both Warren and Bannen knows what it take to build a championship caliber Dline.

This is a win for us all around, things are shaping up nicely for our front 7 overall. A definite improvement from last year, especially with everyone .. Von included, having a real offseason for a change. I expect our D will be playing at top 10, or at the very least no worst than top 15 level by mid season if not all year. And possibly considerably better with all the changes and improvements in the front 7 and with the definitely stronger DB group this year ... not to mention Del Rio running the show.

I especially liked the ones that wanted to give him the TO treatment and lock him out of Dove Valley to "teach him a lesson". LOL

TheReverend
06-06-2012, 06:10 PM

Not even Suh commands a constant double team. If any of our interior guys are taking any double attention instead of an IOL immediately going to the second level, then we're in okay shape.

DBroncos4life
06-06-2012, 06:13 PM
I especially liked the ones that wanted to give him the TO treatment and lock him out of Dove Valley to "teach him a lesson". LOL

I prefer the ones that suggested flat out cutting him and letting him go help another team. He would have been right back in camp before the first time he got fined anyways.

R-Mac
06-06-2012, 06:46 PM
The Broncos carried 10 defensive linemen last season. 6 DTs and 4 DEs. The Broncos currently have 6 DTs on the roster, so no one might be cut there unless the team signs a DT from the waiver wire. Bannan, Warren, Siliga, Vickerson, Unrein, Wolfe. DEs: Dumervil, Ayers, Hunter, Jackson. The battle at DE will be interesting because of Jeremy Beal and Jamie Blatnick.

The Broncos' depth at DE is in good shape. Ben Garland is currently listed as a DE. He is 6'5, 275 and Jack Del Rio likes big DTs, so Garland might not be used as a DT on 1st and 2nd down. His chances of making the roster are slim anyway. I think the rest of the league will watch the final cuts of the Bengals, because they suddenly have a lot of depth at DT and a good player might go to the waiver wire.

DBroncos4life
06-06-2012, 06:52 PM
The Broncos carried 10 defensive linemen last season. 6 DTs and 4 DEs. The Broncos currently have 6 DTs on the roster, so no one might be cut there unless the team signs a DT from the waiver wire. Bannan, Warren, Siliga, Vickerson, Unrein, Wolfe. DEs: Dumervil, Ayers, Hunter, Jackson. The battle at DE will be interesting because of Jeremy Beal and Jamie Blatnick.

The Broncos' depth at DE is in good shape. Ben Garland is currently listed as a DE. He is 6'5, 275 and Jack Del Rio likes big DTs, so Garland might not be used as a DT on 1st and 2nd down. His chances of making the roster are slim anyway. I think the rest of the league will watch the final cuts of the Bengals, because they suddenly have a lot of depth at DT and a good player might go to the waiver wire.

Garland is a DT and is up too 300 pounds now. He was only that small because he was in the AF.

Ziggy
06-06-2012, 07:08 PM
Defensive end Ben Garland, who returned to action this month after serving in the U.S. Air Force the last two years, is practicing at his heaviest weight: 305 pounds. He hovered around 280 pounds during his 2010 training-camp hitch with the Broncos. “It’s not that big. It’s 15 pounds in over two years. That’s not a lot to gain just working out and staying lean,” Garland said.”He had a pretty unique frame — a frame we rarely see at the Air Force Academy,” said Air Force coach Troy Calhoun, who attended Garland’s induction ceremony into the Colorado Air National Guard two hours after practice concluded. “I thought he had a frame where he could carry as many as 290 pounds. The most he ever played with at Air Force is 268 pounds.”

http://www.maxdenver.com/news/2012/05/30/notes-from-an-ota-may-30/

R-Mac
06-06-2012, 07:25 PM
Okay. Then at this point Unrein and Garland might be fighting for the 6th DT spot. Garland is still listed as a DE on denverbroncos.com and his weight has not been updated. They also have Cyril Obiozor listed as a DE and I thought he was an OLB. By the way, the official website does a terrible job with the player portraits, they still have not updated the 2011 draft class.

EDIT: the final numbers might also be 5 DTs and 5 DEs this season, if we count Wolfe as a base DE that moves to DT on 3rd down.

Stuck in Cali
06-06-2012, 10:23 PM
Great news.

Bigdawg26
06-06-2012, 10:25 PM
Great news.

This! It's good news to get our best DT back. He and Wolfe would be solid together.

lonestar
06-06-2012, 10:55 PM
not sure why everyone is so happy about another one year rental..

it is not like the offense is going to be hitting on all clyinders till midseason and other than the potential of playing next to him the kiddies are not going to have him around next year..

Jsut hope they got some incentives built into that contract..

Shananahan
06-06-2012, 11:21 PM
Tell me, lonestar: what excites you?

SoCalBronco
06-07-2012, 12:09 AM
Very good development! :)

I'm pleased that we're going to keep him around. This will only help our DT depth. Hopefully he starts working as hard as he did before this whole stuff happened. We need his help this year.

Stuck in Cali
06-07-2012, 12:32 AM
not sure why everyone is so happy about another one year rental..

it is not like the offense is going to be hitting on all clyinders till midseason and other than the potential of playing next to him the kiddies are not going to have him around next year..

Jsut hope they got some incentives built into that contract..

1. DL depth
2. No contract discussions and what not, causing any distractions for players/personal having to answer questions on what's his status. It's all football from here on out.
3. He could really perform this year, with a good head on his shoulders and a little luck he could earn another deal with us. He is only 31, and if I remember correctly played very well before the injury bug got him.
4. Think mandatory mini camp is next week, so perfect time for him to get back in the swing of things and not letting it drag into training camp.

Bacchus
06-07-2012, 03:37 AM
Why is Fox/Del Rio so enamoured with Warren?

He has three SB rings, is a ProBowler and a team Captain. Why wouldn't they want him on the teamfor $2 million a year? He will be a great addition. Players get injured all the time and just because he got two serious injuries the last two years does not mean it is going to happen this year.

bowtown
06-07-2012, 05:18 AM
Tell me, lonestar: what excites you?

Porno book burnings.

houghtam
06-07-2012, 09:38 AM
Porno book burnings.

LOL rep

Hulamau
06-07-2012, 09:44 AM
A healthy Warren is WAY better than Bunkley who out did himself in 40% duty last year during a contract year. He'll be an excellent mentor for Wolfe as well.
Stand up guy across the board.

Heyneck
06-07-2012, 10:40 AM
A healthy Warren is WAY better than Bunkley who out did himself in 40% duty last year during a contract year. He'll be an excellent mentor for Wolfe as well.

Uhhh... Warren hasn't played in 2 years. I highly doubt he will be better than Bunkley.

Beantown Bronco
06-07-2012, 10:46 AM
Uhhh... Warren hasn't played in 2 years. I highly doubt he will be better than Bunkley.

And one could argue that 2008 was the last time Warren played better than Bunkley did for us last year. We're talking basically 4 years.

Heyneck
06-07-2012, 10:50 AM
And one could argue that 2008 was the last time Warren played better than Bunkley did for us last year. We're talking basically 4 years.

Yup... it's funny how people get infatuated with a previously injured big name player... only to tear them apart when they don't live up to their expectation. In my opinion Warren is great depth for a rotational role. He is no longer starter material. The proof is in the pudding (the FO no longer wanting to pay him starters money).

ward63
06-07-2012, 11:01 AM
From the way he put things in his interview, I took it as he realized he's been hurt and if really wants to play, that Denver is his best shot. They brought him here knowing that he was hurt and once he got hurt again, the Broncos did what they thought was right for the organization and the player (Warren).

ludo21
06-07-2012, 11:18 AM
great idea warren.

Kid A
06-07-2012, 11:41 AM
From the way he put things in his interview, I took it as he realized he's been hurt and if really wants to play, that Denver is his best shot. They brought him here knowing that he was hurt and once he got hurt again, the Broncos did what they thought was right for the organization and the player (Warren).

What stuck out in the interview to me was him saying that he had to think about his kids and not wanting to drag them across the country again for 1 season.

I translated that as he looked into how much he could make as a FA with, say, the Patriots, and saw it wouldn't be as much or significantly more than he would get for staying here at the Broncos price.

pricejj
06-07-2012, 12:28 PM
The addition of Warren just turned chicken spit into chicken salad. The Broncos will only keep 4 DT's. So far we have: 1. Derek Wolfe 2. Ty Warren 3. Justin Bannan

Which one (only one) do we keep?
a. Kevin Vickerson
b. Sealver Siliga
c. Ben Garland
d. Mitch Unrein

I'd say it's probably Siliga.

Bigdawg26
06-07-2012, 12:34 PM
I think they keep 5. Kevin Vick is the starter opposite of Warren right now (hopefully Wolfe outplays him). I would say they keep Warren, Vick, Wolfe, Bannan, and Siliga to groom.

DenverBrit
06-07-2012, 12:34 PM
The addition of Warren just turned chicken spit into chicken salad. The Broncos will only keep 4 DT's. So far we have: 1. Derek Wolfe 2. Ty Warren 3. Justin Bannan

a. Kevin Vickerson
b. Sealver Siliga
c. Ben Garland
d. Mitch Unrein

Vickerson and Siliga. Broncos keep 5....especially as Wolfe will play DE/DT

SonOfLe-loLang
06-07-2012, 12:35 PM
I'm all for Samaon D-linemen...so lets keep Sealver. Whens the last time we had one? Tanuvasa? We won chips with him!

ward63
06-07-2012, 12:47 PM

a. Kevin Vickerson
b. Sealver Siliga
c. Ben Garland
d. Mitch Unrein

Got to keep 5 imo. I think Vick and Siliga stay. Since he served his time in the military, can Garland be placed on the PS?

pricejj
06-07-2012, 01:38 PM
If you keep 5 DT's then that means you keep 9 DL:

DL - 9 (Dumervil, Hunter, Ayers, Jackson, Warren, Wolfe, Bannan, Siliga, Vickerson)
CB - 6 (Bailey, Porter, Florence, Harris, Bolden, Judie)
S - 4 (Adams, Moore, Carter, Bruton)
LB -6 (Miller, Williams, Mays, Woodyard, Irving, Trevathan)
Total - 25

Cut: Ben Garland, Mitch Unrein, Jeremy Beal, Syd'Quan Thompson, Tony Carter, Raphael Bush, Duke Ihenacho, Mike Mohamed

Hopefully we can practice squad Garland, Beal, and Nacho.

Since he served his time in the military, can Garland be placed on the PS?

Yes.

ward63
06-07-2012, 01:49 PM
If you keep 5 DT's then that means you keep 9 DL:

DL - 9 (Dumervil, Hunter, Ayers, Jackson, Warren, Wolfe, Bannan, Siliga, Vickerson)
CB - 6 (Bailey, Porter, Florence, Harris, Bolden, Judie)
S - 4 (Adams, Moore, Carter, Bruton)
LB -6 (Miller, Williams, Mays, Woodyard, Irving, Trevathan)
Total - 25

Cut: Ben Garland, Mitch Unrein, Jeremy Beal, Syd'Quan Thompson, Tony Carter, Raphael Bush, Duke Ihenacho, Mike Mohamed

Hopefully we can practice squad Garland, Beal, and Nacho.

Yes.

I like Hunter and I know that he just got resigned but if Wolfe (maybe Jackson too) is going to play tackle and end, then I don't understand keeping Hunter. Just a rusher that can make a play here and there.

pricejj
06-07-2012, 02:22 PM
I like Hunter and I know that he just got resigned but if Wolfe (maybe Jackson too) is going to play tackle and end, then I don't understand keeping Hunter. Just a rusher that can make a play here and there.

So then....keep Garland, and cut Hunter? I don't think that's a good idea. Garland can be practice squaded. Hunter got 4 sacks last year. He's a solid contributor.

If Garland shows up big-time in camp, you're gonna have to cut either Vickerson, or try to practice squad Siliga. You can't keep 6 DT's.

broncocalijohn
06-07-2012, 02:27 PM

So while Bunkley was actually on the field producing and earning his money, Warren was injured and being paid. Funny how so many are turncoats on a player because he is either a former bronco or bitched about being a Bronco until he couldn't find employment elsewhere. I like the signing in the fact they didn't cave in to his high demands. There wasn't much out there for a guy that is coming off an injury.

pricejj
06-07-2012, 02:33 PM
I'm glad the Broncos didn't pay Bunkley $5M per year, tying up their salary cap for a NT who doesn't collapse the pocket.

I like Bunk, but Bannan was similarly effective last year in St. Louis, as Bunk was for the Broncos (and we have him for 1/5 the price). Bunk did what no one has been able to do for a long time (shore up the DL against the rush), but the Broncos still had the 24th rushing Defense in the NFL in 2011.

Lestat
06-07-2012, 03:49 PM
Bunkley isn't worth what he signed with the Saints for so that is pointless to bring up as comparison to liking the retention of Warren.
i do agree that 5 DT's is likely to occur, too many injury concerns and unknowns to keep less than 5. Wolfe will play DT and DE so can agree with pricejj's DL assumptions.

Bacchus
06-07-2012, 06:55 PM
So while Bunkley was actually on the field producing and earning his money, Warren was injured and being paid. Funny how so many are turncoats on a player because he is either a former bronco or b****ed about being a Bronco until he couldn't find employment elsewhere. I like the signing in the fact they didn't cave in to his high demands. There wasn't much out there for a guy that is coming off an injury.

Why all the animosity towards Warren because he was being paid and injured?? Really, if you was injured on your job would you like NOT to be paid? Or if you got injured on the job and you spent months rehabbing the injury and you felt you were in prime shape. How would you feel if your company than demanded you to take a pay cut ONLY because you were injured!! Something that happened at work through no fault of your own. You guys are amazing.

Bacchus
06-07-2012, 06:57 PM
Bunkley is making $5 milllion a year and Warren is making $2.5.

Bronco Rob
06-13-2012, 06:42 AM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- The burning question for the Denver Broncos this offseason, buried in the frenzy of Peyton Manning’s arrival and Tim Tebow’s departure, was the middle of the team's defensive line.

It was a mess, particularly after the underrated Brodrick Bunkley signed with the New Orleans Saints.

The Broncos, however, have quietly improved the defensive tackle position and it looks far from being an ugly situation. Now, I’m not saying Denver will have the best group of defensive tackles in the league. But after watching the unit at Tuesday’s minicamp, I don't think it is a lost cause either.

The team drafted Derek Wolfe (who can also play end) with the No. 36 pick and signed Justin Bannan. They agreed to a reduced contract with Ty Warren and are getting a healthy Kevin Vickerson back.

The Broncos are also giving former practice squader Sealver Siliga a chance at nose tackle. He is a wide body who is worth developing.

I see this as a group that will rotate often and be effective under John Fox and Jack Del Rio. Again, they may not be world beaters, but Denver’s situation at defensive tackle may not be as dire as previously considered.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/44931/denver-has-hope-at-defensive-tackle

cmhargrove
06-13-2012, 07:22 AM
I was wondering how this thread got 24 pages on the first day it was posted, then I realized - it didn't.

What's with adding new "original posts" to old threads? Just start a new one - it's much less confusing. 23 pages of discussion about a different post/article, then you change the original post? Thanks for posting the subject (honestly), but the whole revamping threads thing doesn't really help the current discussion IMO.

Bronco Rob
06-13-2012, 07:33 AM
I was wondering how this thread got 24 pages on the first day it was posted, then I realized - it didn't.

What's with adding new "original posts" to old threads? Just start a new one - it's much less confusing. 23 pages of discussion about a different post/article, then you change the original post? Thanks for posting the subject (honestly), but the whole revamping threads thing doesn't really help the current discussion IMO.

Appreciate the input, apologize if you find it confusing that wasn't my intent.

The intial topic of this thread was about the defensive tackle position of the Denver Broncos. So instead of having twenty four separate discussions... the consolidation on my part was an effort to truncate and distil the topic to a single thread.

alkemical
06-13-2012, 08:09 AM
I appreciate the use of "existing threads".

kappys
06-13-2012, 08:30 AM

The intial topic of this thread was about the defensive tackle position of the Denver Broncos. So instead of having twenty four separate discussions... the consolidation on my part was an effort to truncate and distil the topic to a single thread.

Kudos BTW - you did an excellent job keeping the thread regularly updated

cmhargrove
06-13-2012, 08:35 AM

I'm not trying to be hypercritical, maybe just post the new info right under the existing post so we can see the original, then updated topic?

mwill07
06-13-2012, 10:10 AM
yeah, it's kind of odd to read a thread like this from the beginning and see peoples reactions based on an original post which has then changed.

No reason not to make a new thread when new info becomes available, IMO.

houghtam
06-13-2012, 10:39 AM
yeah, it's kind of odd to read a thread like this from the beginning and see peoples reactions based on an original post which has then changed.

No reason not to make a new thread when new info becomes available, IMO.

Or just name the thread "the evolving OM DT discussion" or something like that instead of renaming the title to reflect the latest happenings.

baja
06-13-2012, 12:22 PM
What day is this?

Bronco Rob
06-14-2012, 02:43 AM
Wolfe quickly getting up to speed with Broncos

June 13, 2012 7:00 PM ET

It's funny that Wolfe should wind up in Denver. After all, it was Broncos boss John Elway who made Wolfe cry as a kid. A big Green Bay Packers fan growing up, Wolfe painfully watched Elway lead the Broncos to a 31-24 Super Bowl win following the 1997 season.

"I was going to write a letter to him, tell him how mean he was," Wolfe said.

At Cincinnati, Wolfe developed into quite an interior lineman, a player whom opponents frequently had to double-team just to try to keep him out of the picture. He had three solid seasons with the Bearcats before he almost left.

Wolfe turned in a monster final season, registering 9 1/2 sacks and 21 1/2 tackles for loss to become the Big East's co-defensive player of the year.

Wolfe will be part of a rotation of defensive tackles that will include Justin Bannan, Kevin Vickerson and Ty Warren. He's already drawn the attention of defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio.

for the rest.....http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/19347681/wolfe-quickly-getting-up-to-speed-with-broncos

Bronco Rob
06-14-2012, 08:59 AM
Warren Back in His Element

Ty Warren hasn’t felt this good in quite a while. After Wednesday morning’s minicamp practice, Warren said he feels no effects of the injuries that sidelined him throughout the past two seasons.

In fact, he said there's "no doubt about it" that he is the same player he was in his last full season — 2009.

“Like I said, being out there is easy," Warren said. "I can probably go out there with blinders and put my hand down in whatever position I would play in. … As far as being on the field, that’s the easy part. I’m really not concerned with that.”

While Warren feels confident in his ability to play defensive tackle at a high level, he admits he has work to do to improve both his conditioning and his understanding of the new defensive playbook prior to the start of training camp.

“My main focus right now is one, to get up to speed with the playbook, which I am as much as I can be right now and two, what I do between now and training camp is going to be really important,” Warren said. “I’m going to really focus on my conditioning and my knowledge of the playbook. Not just what I’m doing, but what everybody else is doing around me. That’s kind of how I’ve operated through the years when I’ve had my success, so these next five or six weeks are really going to be key to me.”

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Warren-Back-in-His-Element/186ec3d8-8a56-4879-a18d-fb3bcb6d74cb

Broncos DT Ty Warren ready for football, a.k.a. "the easy part"

After missing all of the 2010 and 2011 seasons with hip and triceps injuries and sitting out the Broncos' organized team workouts this spring while he negotiated a new contract, Warren is determined to make up for lost time during the team's break.

"As long as I'm healthy, I'll be good to go. I plan on being healthy and in shape because I plan on putting my body in a place where I'm ready to take on everything," Warren said Wednesday. "The football part will take care of itself. That's the easy part. When you're in shape, when your wind is right and when you understand what they're trying to do playbookwise, you're able to move fast and be effective."

Warren, one of the big pieces in the Broncos' free-agent class last year, returned to the team last week after agreeing on a new one-year contract. The deal involved taking a significant pay cut — from a scheduled $4 million salary to $1.25 million, with a $250,000 signing bonus — but Warren believed it was a fair compromise considering he earned $4 million last year while being on the injured reserve list. Warren suffered the torn triceps 12 days after he signed his free-agent deal.

"It was a definitely a blow," Warren said.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20852837/broncos-dt-ty-warren-ready-football-k-easy