PDA

View Full Version : Ground zero map

Mogulseeker
05-09-2012, 07:13 PM
They were talking about this the other day in an international security lecture at the Korbel School at DU. They wouldn't give the link, so I had to find it myself.

You can select different types of bombs and, the map will show how much and to what extend the land is affected.

http://www.carloslabs.com/node/16

Kinda cool. Kinda scary, too.

Dedhed
05-09-2012, 07:20 PM
Umm... really? I would think that link might immediately put me on a list I don't really want to be on.

Mogulseeker
05-09-2012, 07:24 PM
Umm... really? I would think that link might immediately put me on a list I don't really want to be on.

Unless you think you can get your hands on a multimillion dollar nuke, I wouldn't worry too much.

I used the site for research on a paper I did on North Korea.

Mogulseeker
05-09-2012, 07:28 PM
You know... I've snooped around on Stormfront, the FLDS (Fundamentalist Mormons) site and several PLO/Taliban/al Qaeda websites for research I've done in policy reviews.

It's amazing I was able to retain my TSSI clearance, lol.

Archer81
05-09-2012, 07:28 PM
That is kind of scary. 50 MT Tsar Bomba would not make a good day for me if a bomb hit Colo Springs.

:Broncos:

Mogulseeker
05-09-2012, 07:33 PM
That is kind of scary. 50 MT Tsar Bomba would not make a good day for me if a bomb hit Colo Springs.

By comparison - that little dot on the left is Hiroshima:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Ns2VWFdch10/Tdqtbp31pLI/AAAAAAAAG-0/B7eTbsGLB9I/s1600/tsar%2Bbomba%2Bnuclear%2Bweapon%2Bcomparison%2Bcha rt.jpg

BroncoBuff
05-09-2012, 07:33 PM

Colorado Springs was always the #1 Soviet target of course, Cheyenne Mountain anyway. But RELAX, the Cold War's over.

Requiem
05-09-2012, 07:35 PM
Not anymore it's not.

Archer81
05-09-2012, 07:36 PM
Colorado Springs was always the #1 Soviet target of course, Cheyenne Mountain anyway. But RELAX, the Cold War's over.

According to the map. the tsar bomba was the largest man made explosion in history. A hit on colorado springs means 1st and 2nd degree burns where I am, 45 miles away. Col Spgs itself would be incinerated, and they would have bomb burns as far away as castle rock.

So thank God the cold war is over.

Mogulseeker
05-09-2012, 07:37 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IUIMgbXOmJg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Houshyamama
05-09-2012, 07:52 PM

seriously?

SoCalBronco
05-09-2012, 08:04 PM
Smurf, how many girls in your international security lecture did you almost nail?

;D

Requiem
05-09-2012, 08:07 PM
He didn't even come close.

SoCalBronco
05-09-2012, 08:08 PM
He didn't even come close.

Smurf is a good guy, I'm just giving him a little razzing since he brought up this topic a few days ago.

broncswin
05-09-2012, 08:12 PM
So then TZAR BOMBA could take out my town of 300...is that what your telling me

Mogulseeker
05-09-2012, 08:12 PM
Smurf is a good guy, I'm just giving him a little razzing since he brought up this topic a few days ago.

Oh you know... this hot nerd type in a Harvard sweater whispers in my ear to meet her in the storage closet after the lecture. But the oysters were bad, so she left early sick.

DBroncos4life
05-09-2012, 08:13 PM
According to the map. the tsar bomba was the largest man made explosion in history. A hit on colorado springs means 1st and 2nd degree burns where I am, 45 miles away. Col Spgs itself would be incinerated, and they would have bomb burns as far away as castle rock.

So thank God the cold war is over.

I was always told Russia's bombs would have drifted miles from their intended targets. They lacked guidance systems worth a darn.

Mogulseeker
05-09-2012, 08:14 PM
So then TZAR BOMBA could take out my town of 300...is that what your telling me

The shock alone is a 64 mile radius with additional fallout. If dropped in the heart of Denver, it would take out most of the city with severe long-term health effects for people living as far away as Castle Rock.

In a place like Manhattan, it could instantly vaporize 7 million people.

Archer81
I was always told Russia's bombs would have drifted miles from their intended targets. They lacked guidance systems worth a darn.

I remember doing "disaster drills" in school. It was either get under our desks with our heads covered, or get in the hallway, put your head between your knees and kiss your ass goodbye.

SoCalBronco
Oh you know... this hot nerd type in a Harvard sweater whispers in my ear to meet her in the storage closet after the lecture. But the oysters were bad, so she left early sick.

Ha!

DBroncos4life
05-09-2012, 08:21 PM
I remember doing "disaster drills" in school. It was either get under our desks with our heads covered, or get in the hallway, put your head between your knees and kiss your ass goodbye.

Yeah our teacher always told us with how bad Russia's missiles are now odds are it would hit closer to our home town the SAC airbase.

Archer81
05-09-2012, 08:26 PM
Yeah our teacher always told us with how bad Russia's missiles are now odds are it would hit closer to our home town the SAC airbase.

I was born on Camp Pendleton, grew up at Quantico and Camp LeJeune, and my father did recruiting duty in Colorado Springs/Pueblo and Boulder.

If WW3 was going to break out...pretty sure I would have been fried.

Mogulseeker
05-09-2012, 08:29 PM
seriously?

For policy research, I've visited Stormfront, various PLO/Taliban/al Qaeda websites, the FLDS site (fundamentalist Mormons), ALF/other radical environmental sites. DU/The Navy knew about it, and I kept my TSSI clearance the whole time.

Mogulseeker
05-09-2012, 08:30 PM
I was born on Camp Pendleton, grew up at Quantico and Camp LeJeune, and my father did recruiting duty in Colorado Springs/Pueblo and Boulder.

If WW3 was going to break out...pretty sure I would have been fried.

Taxpayer dollars were spent trying to recruit military people from Boulder?

Archer81
05-09-2012, 08:32 PM
Taxpayer dollars were spent trying to recruit military people from Boulder?

West Denver, Golden, Ft Collins, Boulder. We lived in Boulder.

But yeah. They tried to recruit in Boulder. This was the mid 1980s though.

Tim
05-09-2012, 08:36 PM
I'm living in 80' under ground prepping for the yellowstone super volcano so bring them on!:strong:

Vegas_Bronco
05-09-2012, 08:40 PM
They still be hatin for losin the miracle on ice.

Gort
05-09-2012, 09:13 PM
if you're worried about getting nuked, you should probably avoid Savannah, GA just to be on the safe side. :D

http://io9.com/5906826/when-we-lost-an-unexploded-nuclear-bomb-off-the-coast-of-georgia

Drunken.Broncoholic
05-09-2012, 09:43 PM
Wasn't the movie red dawns setting Colorado? I remember they ran for the woods! Patrick swayze took control.

Mogulseeker
05-09-2012, 09:54 PM
Wasn't the movie red dawns setting Colorado? I remember they ran for the woods! Patrick swayze took control.

Yeah. I had an International Security professor from Colorado Springs, once.He used to say the only reason for the Springs to exist was to get bombed. That is, there was nothing there and it was choosen based on tough access for weapons storage and military commands.

BroncoBuff
05-10-2012, 12:58 AM
50 MT Tsar Bomba would not make a good day for me if a bomb hit Colo Springs.

And the little A-Bombs did not make a good day in Japan ...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wt1QcsVg43A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BroncoBuff
05-10-2012, 01:02 AM
Wasn't the movie red dawns setting Colorado?

War Games too, set mostly in Colorado Springs. Lots in Seattle, a bit in Goose Island Oregon and even Grand Junction.

Taco John
05-10-2012, 01:11 AM
Makes you appreciate why people in the 50's built bomb shelters...

broncosteven
05-10-2012, 09:20 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IUIMgbXOmJg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I saw a Nova episode on the thermonuclear bomb race and they found that the larger the bomb the higher into space it would go but the radius would not grow beyond a certain size. So in essence they could blow **** into space but it would only destroy a 15-20 mile radius which was counter to what they wanted.

Mogulseeker
05-10-2012, 09:28 AM
I saw a Nova episode on the thermonuclear bomb race and they found that the larger the bomb the higher into space it would go but the radius would not grow beyond a certain size. So in essence they could blow **** into space but it would only destroy a 15-20 mile radius which was counter to what they wanted.

It's just like the Rooskies to go for big instead of for utility. When I was in St. Petersburg, I noticed huge, long, ugly apartment buildings. The Russians are extremely proud of these because of the fact that they were huge. You had to walk by everybody's living room window to get to your place. No privacy, no utility whatsoever. Ugly. Russian.

bronco militia
05-10-2012, 10:14 AM
so this tool doesn't take into account topography and prevailing winds.

yawn.

Mogulseeker
05-10-2012, 10:17 AM
so this tool doesn't take into account topography and prevailing winds.

yawn.

For the most part, topography would minimize the bomb.

bronco militia
05-10-2012, 10:23 AM
For the most part, topography would minimize the bomb.

and the weather would affect the fallout. nuke it II has the fallout spreading from east to west. I'm not sure how that works in the northern hemisphere.

Rohirrim
05-10-2012, 10:31 AM
In the army, we learned to dig a foxhole, cover it with our poncho, and hide there, in case of nuclear attack. Then it dawned on us: They just didn't want to have to bury us later. :puff:

bronco militia
05-10-2012, 10:37 AM
In the army, we learned to dig a foxhole, cover it with our poncho, and hide there, in case of nuclear attack. Then it dawned on us: They just didn't want to have to bury us later. :puff:

;D

Mogulseeker
05-10-2012, 10:38 AM
I remember this one time I was in a Nuclear attack... so I hid in a 50s style refrigerator and survived.

bronco militia
05-10-2012, 10:40 AM
I remember this one time I was in a Nuclear attack... so I hid in a 50s style refrigerator and survived.

thank god it was lined with lead. YOU COULD HAVE BEEN KILLED!!!

Ha!