PDA

View Full Version : Free Agency Ain't Over Yet

Bmore Manning
05-09-2012, 11:06 AM
After the draft on every forum I have ever been a part of, comes with a down time and some really off the wall topics. I am noticing that the Mane is no different. So I'm gonna start a very familiar topic to spice things up around here, and to get back to football talk.

With the recent news of Florence going to Denver for a visit today, it shows that that Free Agency Ain't Over Yet, and this staff still see some holes on the roster. I am not a fan of getting Florence unless it's a cheap deal. I'd rather see those snaps be used on Harris and to see what Bolden is made of. But there are some quality free agents out there, that could be brought in for a look.

Personally I'd like to see Jake Scott brought in. He knows and has played with Manning, he would represent an upgrade over Beadles or a great substitute if Kuper isn't back, he would overall strengthen the interior of the OLine. I would then ease Blake into Center and have a line of:
Clady, Scott, Blake, Kuper, Franklin.
With depth of Beadles, Walton, Harris

While the FO is probably content with the OLine, I could see this being an affordable and strong acquisition to improve the quality and depth in the trenches.

So who would you like to see Denver pursue if anybody that's still out there?

TonyR
05-09-2012, 11:35 AM
So who would you like to see Denver pursue if anybody that's still out there?

Agree that Scott may be worth a tire kicking. Would be nice to see another body or two brought in at the DT position as well. Marcus Thomas?

g6matty
05-09-2012, 11:38 AM
albert haynesworth

Bmore Manning
05-09-2012, 11:53 AM
albert haynesworth

Agreed! I mentioned that possibility in another thread along with Scott and thought we needed more football talk, hence this thread. Albert would thrive with the attention given to the edge rushers of Denver! He played well in Tampa last year surprisingly.

Bmore Manning
05-09-2012, 11:55 AM
Agree that Scott may be worth a tire kicking. Would be nice to see another body or two brought in at the DT position as well. Marcus Thomas?

Thomas over the other options out there?

UberBroncoMan
05-09-2012, 11:56 AM
Agreed! I mentioned that possibility in another thread along with Scott and thought we needed more football talk, hence this thread. Albert would thrive with the attention given to the edge rushers of Denver! He played well in Tampa last year surprisingly.

Yet no one seems to want him.

It's a shame. If he went at it hard and worked his ass off. Basically took on a different personality. He'd transform our DL.

Imagine Doom - Albert - Wolfe - Ayers + Miller from anywhere.

That's disgusting.

As it stands now though it's Doom - Warren - Wolfe - Ayers + Miller

Still solid.

TonyR
05-09-2012, 11:59 AM
Thomas over the other options out there?

Not necessarily, just throwing his name out there since the FO has shown some interest in bringing him back but just never agreed on $. I am not in favor or Haynesworth because I think he's completely done. I understand why people want the old Haynesworth but I don't think he exists any more. He's just not worth the trouble. He's basically quit on his last two teams.

Bmore Manning
05-09-2012, 12:13 PM
Not necessarily, just throwing his name out there since the FO has shown some interest in bringing him back but just never agreed on $. I am not in favor or Haynesworth because I think he's completely done. I understand why people want the old Haynesworth but I don't think he exists any more. He's just not worth the trouble. He's basically quit on his last two teams.

Quit in Washington and New England more for scheme reasons, not wanting to be a 3-4 NT or DE. In NE Billichek runs a hybrid but he did see 4-3 looks, not sure why he didn't perform. But in Tampa he played surprisingly solid.

Bmore Manning
05-09-2012, 12:14 PM
Yet no one seems to want him.

It's a shame. If he went at it hard and worked his ass off. Basically took on a different personality. He'd transform our DL.

Imagine Doom - Albert - Wolfe - Ayers + Miller from anywhere.

That's disgusting.

As it stands now though it's Doom - Warren - Wolfe - Ayers + Miller

Still solid.

Agreed.. But I'm not confident in Warren, or Bannan at NT..

TonyR
05-09-2012, 12:22 PM
Quit in Washington and New England more for scheme reasons...

No excuse for going out on the field and dogging it the way he did. Completely disrespectful of the game, his teammates, and his coaches. I just don't know that he's the type of guy you want on your team or in your locker room. If they couldn't get his buy in in NE I don't know where it's going to happen. The fact that the Eagles didn't show any interest, despite employing his D-line coach from Tennessee (Jim Washburn), is telling.

Bmore Manning
05-09-2012, 12:29 PM
No excuse for going out on the field and dogging it the way he did. Completely disrespectful of the game, his teammates, and his coaches. I just don't know that he's the type of guy you want on your team or in your locker room. If they couldn't get his buy in in NE I don't know where it's going to happen. The fact that the Eagles didn't show any interest, despite employing his D-line coach from Tennessee (Jim Washburn), is telling.

Yeah I get that and agree, but it's strange that he played solid in Tampa. Philly doesn't need another vet UT they have Jenkins and now Cox. I did hear Albert and St. Louis talk..

gyldenlove
05-09-2012, 12:31 PM
Maybe Tommie Harris, but I can't really think of any free agents I would like.

TonyR
05-09-2012, 12:33 PM
Yeah I get that and agree, but it's strange that he played solid in Tampa. Philly doesn't need another vet UT they have Jenkins and now Cox. I did hear Albert and St. Louis talk..

I'd say that if Del Rio thinks he can get Haynesworth to play then it's something you consider. I'm sure he has plenty of contacts around the league from whom he can get opinions. It should be Del Rio's call (of course with the blessing of Fox and Elway). But I see little to no chance of it happening.

Bmore Manning
05-09-2012, 12:58 PM
Maybe Tommie Harris, but I can't really think of any free agents I would like.

Chicago wants him back. I wouldn't mind taking Anthony Adams for 4-3 NT depth. Especially with the question marks with Warren..

Bmore Manning
05-09-2012, 01:02 PM
I'd say that if Del Rio thinks he can get Haynesworth to play then it's something you consider. I'm sure he has plenty of contacts around the league from whom he can get opinions. It should be Del Rio's call (of course with the blessing of Fox and Elway). But I see little to no chance of it happening.

Yeah I am confident it won't happen.
UT Depth: Wolfe, Vickerson, Garland, Jackson..

They need some NT Depth if Warren doesn't come back healthy.

NFLBRONCO
05-09-2012, 03:29 PM
Interior OL is a concern for me as of today. Best way to get Manning is up the middle from watching teams that had success against him.

Bmore Manning
05-09-2012, 04:02 PM
Interior OL is a concern for me as of today. Best way to get Manning is up the middle from watching teams that had success against him.

Jake Scott! I'm telling everyone it would be a wise and affordable decision!

Lestat
05-09-2012, 04:54 PM
Scott sounds like a good idea. Florence would be ideal as a signing. we need all the CB depth we can get. Safety is pretty good to go.

Mogulseeker
05-09-2012, 05:18 PM
Scott sounds like a good idea. Florence would be ideal as a signing. we need all the CB depth we can get. Safety is pretty good to go.

How do you figure? Bolden at FS?

Safety: Moore, Adams, Carter, Bush - Carter and Adams are the only legit starters.

Corner: Bailey, Porter, Harris, Vaughn, Thompson, Bolden.

I'd say we're stronger at CB than safety.

Lestat
05-09-2012, 05:37 PM
i personally think that we have enough talent and youth at S to head into camp with. Carter is one starter and after that the battle is between Moore and Adams. we also have Bruton to back up Carter. i'm assuming that Moore isn't going to flat out suck as badly as he did towards the latter stages of last season.

plus Champ is eventually moving to FS before his tenure with the team is over, no sense overloading it now. MLB and S weren't really addressed in the draft, so the staff much feel comfortable with the roster. the FA safeties left don't signify an upgrade IMO.
plus i wanna see how Ihenacho does, he seems to be a talented guy.

Tombstone RJ
05-09-2012, 05:41 PM
until Marcus Thomas is signed, this team is not complete.

Lestat
05-09-2012, 05:45 PM
eh, Wolfe is HAM enough for the Broncos to move on from Thomas. plus he wants multi years and i doubt the team does that.

Archer81
05-09-2012, 05:51 PM
eh, Wolfe is HAM enough for the Broncos to move on from Thomas. plus he wants multi years and i doubt the team does that.

HAM is out. BEEF is in.

:Broncos:

Captain 'Dre
05-09-2012, 06:14 PM

ugh!~

Captain 'Dre
05-09-2012, 06:17 PM
Quit in Washington and New England more for scheme reasons, not wanting to be a 3-4 NT or DE. In NE Billichek runs a hybrid but he did see 4-3 looks, not sure why he didn't perform. But in Tampa he played surprisingly solid.

Quitting is quitting, and only quitters quit.

(Try saying that five times real fast.) :)

RaiderH8r
05-09-2012, 06:28 PM

That's because Haynesworth is grade A certified dog****. He is ****ing useless and his continued NFL career should be considered robbery.

Lestat
05-09-2012, 06:41 PM
HAM is out. BEEF is in.

:Broncos:

http://troll.me/images/thumbs-up-jesus-says/well-played-sir-thumb.jpg

R-Mac
05-09-2012, 07:01 PM
Justin Bannan probably signed the contract that was offered to Marcus Thomas. 1-year, $1 million. Bannan started 16 games for the Broncos in 2010, 31st run defense. He started 14 games for the Rams in 2011, 31st run defense. And he is 33 years old. I'd rather have the 26-year old Marcus Thomas, who made 43 tackles last season and can probably play more snaps. But... It's too late, he is not coming back. I doubt Thomas will get the multi-year contract that he seeks. He'll always be evaluated year-to-year because he is not an impact player. Even if he gets a 2-year or 3-year contract, there won't be much guaranteed money to give him any kind of security on the roster.

Mogulseeker
05-09-2012, 08:04 PM
We should resign him for this:

http://broncotalk.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/MarcusThomasDance.gif.gif

eddie mac
05-09-2012, 08:57 PM
According to the Post the Broncos have pulled the contract offer that was on the table for Thomas.

DENVERDUI55
05-09-2012, 08:58 PM

Didn't Tampa cut him?

Agamemnon
05-09-2012, 09:08 PM
Do we still have any money after the rookies are signed?

Bmore Manning
05-09-2012, 09:34 PM
Didn't Tampa cut him?

Yeah, do that they weren't obligated 5 million to him.

Bmore Manning
05-09-2012, 09:35 PM
Do we still have any money after the rookies are signed?

Cap room yes.. Money, ehh.. lol

Tombstone RJ
05-09-2012, 09:59 PM

until Wolfe has moves like this, we need ham:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vDzt-pw1QJI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

TonyR
05-10-2012, 06:51 AM
According to the Post the Broncos have pulled the contract offer that was on the table for Thomas.

I don't see that anywhere, but I do see that they gave his number to Jeremy Beal and that two other teams are apparently interested in him.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2012/05/09/dt-marcus-thomas-free-agent/13372/

TonyR
05-10-2012, 06:54 AM
There's also this from Klis last evening saying the Broncos like Sealver Siliga, that Ty Warren may be asked to take a pay cut, and that the Broncos should look at Aubrayo Franklin, but it sounds like a lot of speculation.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2012/05/09/broncos-nose-tackle/13375/

Bmore Manning
05-10-2012, 07:17 AM
So if they took the offer off the table for Thomas, does that mean they like what they have at DT or they are open to adding another DT?

Bmore Manning
05-10-2012, 07:19 AM
There's also this from Klis last evening saying the Broncos like Sealver Siliga, that Ty Warren may be asked to take a pay cut, and that the Broncos should look at Aubrayo Franklin, but it sounds like a lot of speculation.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2012/05/09/broncos-nose-tackle/13375/

I thought Franklin was being pursued by Atlanta? Giants signed Shaun Rogers, I really felt he would have been a great run rotational run stuffer.

CEH
05-10-2012, 07:20 AM
So if they took the offer off the table for Thomas, does that mean they like what they have at DT or they are open to adding another DT?

Always open to improving the team . I know Warren wasn't signed till 8/4

Probably won't sign anyone of significance till cuts start again

Bmore Manning
05-10-2012, 07:34 AM
Always open to improving the team . I know Warren wasn't signed till 8/4

Probably won't sign anyone of significance till cuts start again

According to that article from the Denver Post, they are not as confident in their NT depth as I originally viewed the same problem and started this thread.
Bannan can play the 3 Tech on run downs. Vickerson is the same way. Warren if healthy could play 1 Tech, but the options don't look promising. Maybe Siliga as a NT option? But how would he improved to be a compitent player from being on the practice squad?

This is how I see it..
1Techs- Warren (If Healthy), Siliga (Doesn't say much)..
Tweener- Bannan, Vickerson.. More of 3Tech run down players..
3Techs- Wolfe, Garland, Malik Jackson (On Pass Downs)

Unrein and Jarmon are not worth DT roster spots..

TonyR
05-10-2012, 07:39 AM

The fact that they kept Ty Warren around at that salary (I think $4 million) must mean they think he can produce or they would have cut him and gone a different direction. Unless they can still cut him and not be on the hook for his salary? I'm not sure, maybe somebody can clarify.

Bmore Manning
05-10-2012, 07:51 AM
The fact that they kept Ty Warren around at that salary (I think $4 million) must mean they think he can produce or they would have cut him and gone a different direction. Unless they can still cut him on not be on the hook for his salary? I'm not sure, maybe somebody can clarify.

It's not guaranteed so they should be able to outright cut him off the books if I am not mistaken.. But they should have gotten a NT in the draft.. Or a top one in free agency.