PDA

View Full Version : NFL Power Rankings; Broncos Move Down 2 Spots to 10... May 2012

Bronco_Beerslug
05-09-2012, 08:16 AM
After the draft, the Eagles and Steelers moved ahead of the Broncos. Chargers are 15, Chiefs are 17 and Raiders are 26.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After the draft.... (http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/64443/nfl-power-rankings-how-they-voted-17)

http://i49.tinypic.com/34f00mx.jpg

Before the draft....

http://i48.tinypic.com/eu4ksg.jpg

TonyR
05-09-2012, 08:47 AM
Both teams had what appear to be great drafts and added more players who can be expected to be "difference makers" than we did.

Eagles: Cox, Kenkricks, Curry, Foles, Boykin
Steelers: DeCastro, Adams, Spence, Ta'amu, Rainey

On paper the Broncos draft can't remotely compare with either of these hauls. Which is part of the reason I didn't love the Osweiler pick. The Eagles got their QB but also added a few studs before doing so.

Rohirrim
05-09-2012, 10:18 AM
Clayton has the Giants at 5? What a dope. ;D

TheReverend
05-09-2012, 10:38 AM
Its not a bad list. I'm kinda surprised

DENVERDUI55
05-09-2012, 10:46 AM
It was a good way to waste a couple minutes. I don't think anyone has ever won a thing because of powerrankings.

Drunken.Broncoholic
05-09-2012, 10:50 AM
Teams on paper. About as bad as grading a draft before any of the players actually play. Eagles got an A for their FA last year. Their season resulted in an F.

TheReverend
05-09-2012, 10:59 AM
Teams on paper. About as bad as grading a draft before any of the players actually play. Eagles got an A for their FA last year. Their season resulted in an F.

Not sure I'd call 8-8 an "F". It was also a weird season due to the lockout. They hit their stride at the end of the year winning their last 4 and in ridiculously lopsided fashion

Doggcow
05-09-2012, 11:32 AM
Clayton is a ****ing tool

DENVERDUI55
05-09-2012, 11:42 AM
Not sure I'd call 8-8 an "F". It was also a weird season due to the lockout. They hit their stride at the end of the year winning their last 4 and in ridiculously lopsided fashion

It's a good D- though when you call yourself the dream team with SB winning in mind and are out of the playoffs just past midseason. I call that a big fat FAIL.

Archer81
05-09-2012, 11:51 AM
It's a good D- though when you call yourself the dream team with SB winning in mind and are out of the playoffs just past midseason. I call that a big fat FAIL.

As far as I know, only Vince Young said that and the media ran with it.

:Broncos:

TheReverend
05-09-2012, 11:53 AM

No one ever accused Vince Young and his whopping single digit wonderlic score of being intelligent, man.

Drunken.Broncoholic
05-09-2012, 12:17 PM
Eagles jumped up these preseason rankings last year after their FA spending. They didn't need young to say they were the dream team when people like Marvez, Whitlock and other cronies were saying it for him. It was SB or bust(F) for that team. Just like some people who has criticized Elway will say this team failed if they don't win a trophy this year.

TonyR
05-09-2012, 12:30 PM
Eagles jumped up these preseason rankings last year after their FA spending. They didn't need young to say they were the dream team when people like Marvez, Whitlock and other cronies were saying it for him. It was SB or bust(F) for that team.

I agree, but is wasn't their FA's, or their failure in FA, that caused them to underperform last season. Vick declined from the previous year and then got hurt. They made a terrible decision where they hired Jim Washburn to be their D-line coach before naming a D-coordinator. Because no DC wanted to be forced to run Washburn's wide nine they whiffed on all their candidates (including Dennis Allen). So they were forced to hire from within and named their O-line coach (Juan Castillo) as their DC. Castillo was clearly in over his head. They didn't have the personnel to run the wide nine (particularly because their LB's sucked). And they misused Asomouga with the scheme they ran. And then they blew some games they should have won early on. It was quite a mess, but I think their foray into FA last year, along with getting DeMeco Ryans and their great draft this year, will pay dividends. They are loaded with talent. But they'll need Vick to do a better job than he did last year.

Bronco_Beerslug
05-09-2012, 12:35 PM
It was a good way to waste a couple minutes. I don't think anyone has ever won a thing because of powerrankings.
I agree the season will determine who are the top teams are but it's interesting to see who likes who and why at this point and to look back later at it.

chrisp
05-09-2012, 02:06 PM
I hope they mark us down a few more pegs before the season starts. No team in the history of the league ever became better through being hyped in the media.....I feel much more comfortable with them all slagging us off to be honest.....

Mogulseeker
05-09-2012, 02:19 PM
I love how people immediately grade the draft and plug in players as difference makers without having taken a snap.

People here were furious after the Broncos 2006 draft and look how that ended up: Cutler, Scheffler, Marshall, Dumervil, Kuper.

Mogulseeker
05-09-2012, 02:20 PM
I hope they mark us down a few more pegs before the season starts. No team in the history of the league ever became better through being hyped in the media.....I feel much more comfortable with them all slagging us off to be honest.....

We finished 8th in the power rankings last year with Tebow.

Explain to me how adding Peyton Manning makes us worse....

Sports media is dumb.

bronco militia
05-09-2012, 02:32 PM
hopefully we will get invited to a BCS Bowl game.

DryHeat
05-09-2012, 02:33 PM
We finished 8th in the power rankings last year with Tebow.

Explain to me how adding Peyton Manning makes us worse....

Sports media is dumb.

Peyton has a flimsy neck, and your backup is frigging Brock Osweiler.

It's a question of how long Peyton lasts. After he goes down, the Broncos won't win a game.

TheReverend
05-09-2012, 02:35 PM

It's a question of how long Peyton lasts. After he goes down, the Broncos won't win a game.

Did you really register because you hate the Sun Devils THAT much?

enjolras
05-09-2012, 02:44 PM
But they'll need Vick to do a better job than he did last year.

That's where it begins and ends with them. Vick had basically 8 nice games two years ago. Everything since has been a borderline disaster. He wasn't very good before he got hurt.

bronco militia
05-09-2012, 02:47 PM

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ6FLN7_BbbYC1-V5WVrgGTipJgG8ga0iioPGyKN5iU6y-sCM2B1jD_-bD5zg

Drunken.Broncoholic
05-09-2012, 02:51 PM

Who's your team? If its the cardinals, youve had problems for years. And decades.

LongDongJohnson
05-09-2012, 02:55 PM
he mad that peyton chose us over his ****ty cards.

bronco militia
05-09-2012, 03:01 PM
just "another" patriots fan.

sniff, sniff...smells like clam in here

TheReverend
05-09-2012, 03:01 PM
he mad that peyton chose us over his ****ty cards.

Let's not go throwing stones... 3 years ago they were in the Superbowl.

DryHeat
05-09-2012, 03:02 PM
Who's your team? If its the cardinals, youve had problems for years. And decades.

Number of Cards in the hall of fame: 15

Number of Broncos in the hall of fame: 4

Mogulseeker
05-09-2012, 03:18 PM

I don't really follow college football, but is Arizona any good?

I thought they lost to the CU Buffs last year.

Mogulseeker
05-09-2012, 03:19 PM

Yes, but how many Arizona Cardinals are in the Hall?

Drunken.Broncoholic
05-09-2012, 03:20 PM

Number of cards Super Bowl wins 0

Pretty sad when your strongest arguement is individual achievements.

Archer81
05-09-2012, 03:44 PM

Really?

I suppose the St Louis and Chicago versions of the Cards had nothing to do with their HOF nods?

:Broncos:

Bronco Yoda
05-09-2012, 03:47 PM
I would have put us at 13 or 14.

errand
05-09-2012, 04:53 PM

Broncos vs Cardinals overall all-time 7-1-1

Cardinals vs Broncos overall all-time 1-7-1

Your franchise has been ran out of practically every town they played in until they ended up in a desert where it's either watch them or wait for rain...and have been around since 1920. You've not won an NFL title since 1947...to put that in perspective for you,

the Berlin Wall was built....
Alaska and Hawaii weren't even states...
Jackie Robinson had just signed a contract to play for the dodgers.....
Miracle on 34th St debuted in movie theaters.....
Pakistan had just become independent...
the CIA, USAF, and National Security Council were created....and Al Capone died.....imagine if i listed all the **** that's happened since the last time you won one?

Broncos have always resided in Denver, and have won just as many NFL titles (2) in 52 years as the Cards have in 92.

Drunken.Broncoholic
05-09-2012, 05:36 PM
Errand 1
DryHeat 0

Punisher
05-09-2012, 06:02 PM
NYG aren't making the playoffs this year

Mogulseeker
05-09-2012, 06:13 PM
Errand 1
DryHeat 0

Dryheat has won cause he's getting fed.

Bronco_Beerslug
05-09-2012, 08:13 PM

LOL

Being a Cardinal fan is tough duty...eh?

bronco militia
05-09-2012, 10:40 PM
LOL

Being a Cardinal fan is tough duty...eh?

He's just pissed most of Arizona still roots for the Broncos

Bigdawg26
05-09-2012, 10:43 PM
Aww sucks we weren't voted the 2012 paper champions before the season and even training camp starts!!

Bacchus
05-10-2012, 12:07 AM
On paper the Broncos draft can't remotely compare with either of these hauls. Which is part of the reason I didn't love the Osweiler pick. The Eagles got their QB but also added a few studs before doing so.

So you did not like the Osweiler pick because you were afraid it would drop them two spots in the ESPN NFL power rankings.

TonyR
05-10-2012, 06:58 AM
So you did not like the Osweiler pick because you were afraid it would drop them two spots in the ESPN NFL power rankings.

Since many people here will probably be stupid enough to actually believe this, allow me to clarify. I didn't love the pick because I would have preferred an "impact player" with that pick. Please note how I explained that the Eagles got a QB in the 3rd round but they got 3 impact players before doing so.

Bronco_Beerslug
05-10-2012, 07:07 AM
Since many people here will probably be stupid enough to actually believe this, allow me to clarify. I didn't love the pick because I would have preferred an "impact player" with that pick. Please note how I explained that the Eagles got a QB in the 3rd round but they got 3 impact players before doing so.

A head scratcher for sure. I would give the Broncos draft a 'C' at best right now but hopefully it works out better than that.

Being ranked 10 at this point seems reasonable.

Bacchus
05-10-2012, 04:26 PM

Just yankin ya. I was disappointed too, but now I realize we have a QB of the future that can watch Manning do his thing. I trust that Elway knows his QBs and if he feels Oz is going to be a very good QB than I am fine with it.

What if Denver drafts a LB and he turns out to be a solid pro. What if in three years Oz is going to Pro Bowls? Then we could all say Denver Made a mistake in not drafting him.

You might want to say no that you wanted an Impact player but if Oz turns into Aaron Rodgers how wrong were you?

CEH
05-10-2012, 04:32 PM

All conjecture

Please tell us who this impact player Denver passed on. There is no impact player only potential impact players.

Was Moore a impact player, McBath, Zo Smith, Dick Quinn all 2nd round picks

How do you know for sure Reid would have passed on Brock. You can assume so but you don't know for a fact. Philly didn't have the option to select Brock at #59

Hamrob
05-10-2012, 07:27 PM
We have one hell of a tough schedule.

I think 10 is fair for now. But, I really believe that we'll win our division...which, means in reality...that we'll be top 8 for sure.

TonyR
05-10-2012, 08:14 PM
All conjecture...

Oh I agree. I'm just stating what my preference was and is. We're in win now mode with Manning but the Osweiler pick is the exact opposite. And after moving out of the first round it would have been nice to have gotten another 2nd round prospect who might be a contributor. I realize it's all a gamble, that's just how I would have played the cards. Hopefully Elway is holding a better hand than I am.