PDA

View Full Version : Former NFL MVP Rich Gannon knows well the challenges Peyton Manning faces with Broncos

Black96WS6
05-08-2012, 02:10 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--former-mvp-qb-knows-well-the-challenges-peyton-manning-faces-with-broncos.html;_ylt=A0PDlNZgdalPhwgA_xNDubYF

"It can be very unsettling," says Gannon, now an analyst with CBS and Sirius NFL Radio. "As quarterbacks, we're creatures of habit. He had [Colts offensive coordinator] Tom Moore for his entire career. You know the offense inside and out. You have a history."

Manning is an early favorite for 2012 comeback player of the year, and that storyline would be fun to watch. We all want to see the old Peyton Manning. But the old Peyton Manning made a Hall of Fame career on a split-second advantage that may or may not remain after a year off and multiple surgeries. All we really know is that No. 18 has looked like the old Peyton Manning in non-contact drills. That's a lot to bet an entire franchise on, and as T-shirts sold in the Denver area proclaim, in John Elway's words, "There is no Plan B."

broncswin
05-08-2012, 02:15 PM
speculating here: There may be aliens

supermanhr9
05-08-2012, 02:17 PM
Don't worry everyone.... we drafter Brock freaking Osweiler. Peyton, please be the old Peyton.

Jetmeck
05-08-2012, 02:21 PM
yeah well Rich Gannon went from the chitty Chefs to almost winning SB with the Faiders...............so whats his point ?

MplsBronco
05-08-2012, 02:22 PM
How long before ppl are screaming for Elway's head when this blows up? I've been against this from the second I heard we were going after Manning. Will be interesting to see how this pans out. It aint gonna be a cakewalk like many on here think it will be.

Jetmeck
05-08-2012, 02:25 PM
Harris as a nickel back would be very very hard to improve upon. The guy is a baller and always around the ball...............and he is cheap..........

HILife
05-08-2012, 03:03 PM
How long before ppl are screaming for Elway's head when this blows up? I've been against this from the second I heard we were going after Manning. Will be interesting to see how this pans out. It aint gonna be a cakewalk like many on here think it will be.

Regardless of how the Peyton situation turns out, it was by far the right dissension at the time.

DarkHorse30
05-08-2012, 03:05 PM

define "blows up". Is it:

A) trading Tebow back to a division where he may cause McDoofus some pain?

B) somehow getting Manning to come to Denver and try out his franchise-quarterbackness on us?

or both? I know, I'm an optimist so sue me - and I can't wait for this grand experiment.....and Denver dominates the newscycle for the second year running....

Bacchus
05-08-2012, 03:26 PM
Even if Manning never plays a down for Denver it will have been worth it. The Tebow era is over and the Brock Osweiler era would just start a couple of years earlier. WIN WIN

Lestat
05-08-2012, 03:52 PM
yeah i don't really get the issues people have with believing Manning can come back fully. he's only been seriously injured once and that caused him to miss the season. outside of that he was a damn iron man.

if anyone in the NFL can do it it'd be him. plus i doubt he'd waste his or the Broncos time if he wasn't confident he was on the way back to 100%.

errand
05-08-2012, 04:40 PM
Yet another veiled attempt to discount one of the greatest free agent signings ever.

People are still smarting over the Broncos and in particularly Elway doing things their way....and not doing what a lot of Joe Whothe****s want them to do.

broncogary
05-08-2012, 04:44 PM
Harris as a nickel back would be very very hard to improve upon. The guy is a baller and always around the ball...............and he is cheap..........

Post of the year! :egbgb:

DHallblows
05-08-2012, 05:03 PM
Gannon WAS an mvp, wasn't he? That's embarrassing for the NFL...

Jay3
05-08-2012, 05:17 PM

Why? For shipping him around as he developed from a Wing-T college quarterback to an MVP caliber quarterback?

Or because he won the MVP at all?

errand
05-08-2012, 05:31 PM
Gannon had a few outstanding seasons and deserved his MVP....not too mention if not for the "tuck" rule would have made it two 2 super bowls

Hulamau
05-08-2012, 05:59 PM

I don't know anyone who thinks it'll be a cake walk, much less Manning or Elway nor anyone else on the team. That it was thre right decision to go for Peyton with all the variables and unknowns involved is the biggest no-brained in FA history... Regardless of how it turns out lidos to Elway and Fox for the vision and moxie to go for the gold ring and do everything possible to bring us another SB here ASAP ... Of course there are no guaranteees... Not going after Manning when he became available to us would have been a weak totally fail lack of guts and good sense..

WolfpackGuy
05-08-2012, 06:15 PM

What was embarrassing was him not throwing a pass that traveled more than 25 yards in the air that season.

MplsBronco
05-08-2012, 10:26 PM
define "blows up". Is it:

A) trading Tebow back to a division where he may cause McDoofus some pain?

B) somehow getting Manning to come to Denver and try out his franchise-quarterbackness on us?

or both? I know, I'm an optimist so sue me - and I can't wait for this grand experiment.....and Denver dominates the newscycle for the second year running....

Easy. Manning is done after 2 or 3 years. Little to no playoff success. Tebow improves and succeeds as a starter with the Jets. We look the like the Vikings after it is all said and done.

DENVERDUI55
05-08-2012, 10:37 PM
Gannon had a few outstanding seasons and deserved his MVP....not too mention if not for the "tuck" rule would have made it two 2 super bowls

Well it wasn't a given that the Fade would of marched into the 1 seed Steelers and beat them to make the SB.

SPORTSWRITER
05-09-2012, 03:42 AM
Even if Manning never plays a down for Denver it will have been worth it. The Tebow era is over and the Brock Osweiler era would just start a couple of years earlier. WIN WIN

Way to go, Bacchus!! You, Mr. Wineman, are truly the optimist!! Furthermore, (LOL) last time I checked, Mr. Darkhorse30, optimism isn't a crime, nor is it a civil offense for which one could be sued! ;D

Blueflame
05-09-2012, 04:22 AM

Um... yeah. I'm sure it was all Gannon... and Tim Brown, Jerry Rice and Charlie Garner had nothing whatsoever to do with Gannon's "deserving the MVP" .... Too funny.

Gannon was a career journeyman. A decent quarterback who... with adequate O-line performance... could shine. In a West-coast offense, with 2 future HOF WRs, above-average O-line performance and Jon Gruden as HC, you might even see Kyle Orton's numbers look impressive.

DryHeat
05-09-2012, 01:32 PM
Peyton Manning will fail.

Who is he gonna throw to? Decker? hahahaha

He should have went with Fitzgerald and Floyd.

Bronco Rob
05-09-2012, 01:47 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/q9_Rr-YNdYY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Tombstone RJ
05-09-2012, 04:19 PM

The Osweiler pick and the Manning snub, your tears are delicious...

OrangeSe7en
05-09-2012, 04:25 PM
Go away, Gannon!

Cito Pelon
05-09-2012, 04:37 PM

Meh, the team seems like it's set ok for QB for the next 15 years. The kid Os if his head is on straight seems like he can take the reigns if Manning isn't as advertised.

Cito Pelon
05-09-2012, 04:44 PM
Why? For shipping him around as he developed from a Wing-T college quarterback to an MVP caliber quarterback?

Or because he won the MVP at all?

I actually thought Gannon would have been a good FA pickup for the Broncos in '99. He'd always shown flashes of good QB play, tempered by boneheadedness often. I thought Shanny could get something out of him.

errand
05-09-2012, 04:54 PM
Um... yeah. I'm sure it was all Gannon... and Tim Brown, Jerry Rice and Charlie Garner had nothing whatsoever to do with Gannon's "deserving the MVP" .... Too funny.

Gannon was a career journeyman. A decent quarterback who... with adequate O-line performance... could shine. In a West-coast offense, with 2 future HOF WRs, above-average O-line performance and Jon Gruden as HC, you might even see Kyle Orton's numbers look impressive.

Doesn't matter who he had helping him achieve those numbers...the bottom line is the Raiders without Gannon weren't winning much of anything even though they had the aforementioned players you listed.

He led them to three straight AFC West titles going 12-4, 10-6, and 11-5...prior to his arrival they hadn't won more than 8 games since '95...and since he was injured in 2003 and 2004, they've not finished higher than 3rd in AFCW.

If supporting cast quality discounts a player's MVP award, then perhaps TD's should? Not trashing TD's MVP....just trying to prove your absurdity by being absurd myself. If Gannon's MVP should be disounted, then any player that had a great supporting cast should be likewise discounted, correct?

After all, TD had a HoF QB...two of the NFL's brightest offensive minds as OC and HC, and awesome OL, and a HoF TE on his side too...not to mention the greatest undrafted WR all time, and another guy that was no slouch either, both of whom excelled in run blocking...how many of them become HoF players as well remains to be seen.

TD doesn't have to apologize for his MVP because he had a great supporting cast, and neither does Gannon.

In Gannon's 2002 MVP season he completed 418 of 618 passes (68%) for 4,689 and 26 TD's...Raiders won AFC conference...they haven't played in playoff game since he got beat in the SB.....he was injured the next two seasons....the Raiders without Gannon were a very beatable team....with him they were a tough out.

Oh, and Gruden wasn't his coach in '02, BTW....

Punisher
05-09-2012, 05:00 PM
http://www.perfectingtheupset.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/top10upsets2000s-bucsraiders-300x251.jpg

errand
05-09-2012, 05:19 PM
I actually thought Gannon would have been a good FA pickup for the Broncos in '99. He'd always shown flashes of good QB play, tempered by boneheadedness often. I thought Shanny could get something out of him.

Gannon's career started to take off when he played for KC...he backed up Grbac in '97...and some have speculated had Schottenheimer started Gannon instead of Grbac vs Broncos, history might have turned out different for us at least....

He was a perfect match when he teamed up with Gruden and his WC offense....and probably would have excelled in any version of it. I too think the Broncos could have done well with Gannon in '99...however you also have to realize they were coming off back to back SB wins, and Griese had shown promise....in fact he threw 19 TD's vs 4 picks in '00.

My whole point is he doesn't have to apologize for playing on a very good team, because virtually every MVP winner did the year they won it.

Does anyone think the Rams win the SB with Trent Green instead of Kurt Warner? Does anyone think the Broncos win back to back SB's without TD? Do the colt's win more than 4-5 games ever without Peyton Manning?

The MVP sometimes is given to players that might not deserve it as much as others, but how is that the player's fault?

errand
05-09-2012, 05:23 PM
http://www.perfectingtheupset.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/top10upsets2000s-bucsraiders-300x251.jpg

Yes, Gannon didn't have a very good game that day...going up against the a QB's worst nightmare....the guy that designed his offense coaching his opponent. His team never had a chance as Gruden laid his ebntire offense out to his new team.

alot of NFL MVP's have bad days....Morton won AFC MVP in '77...he also completed a mere 4 passes for 35 yards with 4 INT's in SB XII...doesn't mean he wasn't the MVP of the regular season.

errand
05-09-2012, 05:24 PM

...yeah, and your dad should've jerked off that night you were concieved

Gort
05-09-2012, 05:50 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--former-mvp-qb-knows-well-the-challenges-peyton-manning-faces-with-broncos.html;_ylt=A0PDlNZgdalPhwgA_xNDubYF

inb4 somebody calls Gannon a Teboner for doubting Manning.

Powderaddict
05-09-2012, 05:58 PM

I too enjoy casting stones at people for imagined scenarios that may or may not happen.

Lets wait for this to "blow up in his face" before we start freaking out about it?

Jay3
05-09-2012, 06:08 PM
inb4 somebody calls Gannon a Teboner for doubting Manning.

But he is a Teboner, by the way.

Cito Pelon
05-09-2012, 06:29 PM
Gannon's career started to take off when he played for KC...he backed up Grbac in '97...and some have speculated had Schottenheimer started Gannon instead of Grbac vs Broncos, history might have turned out different for us at least....

He was a perfect match when he teamed up with Gruden and his WC offense....and probably would have excelled in any version of it. I too think the Broncos could have done well with Gannon in '99...however you also have to realize they were coming off back to back SB wins, and Griese had shown promise....in fact he threw 19 TD's vs 4 picks in '00.

My whole point is he doesn't have to apologize for playing on a very good team, because virtually every MVP winner did the year they won it.

Does anyone think the Rams win the SB with Trent Green instead of Kurt Warner? Does anyone think the Broncos win back to back SB's without TD? Do the colt's win more than 4-5 games ever without Peyton Manning?

The MVP sometimes is given to players that might not deserve it as much as others, but how is that the player's fault?

Gannon kicked ass for a few years. That was such a weird situation in Oakland with Crazy Al. They ended up TRADING Gruden to Tampa Bay for picks Crazy Al did nothing with, then BAM, Tampa beats Oakland in the SB. Gruden gets all full of himself and runs Tampa into the ground, now he's an ESPN guru.

Black96WS6
05-10-2012, 07:50 AM
Gannon kicked ass for a few years. That was such a weird situation in Oakland with Crazy Al. They ended up TRADING Gruden to Tampa Bay for picks Crazy Al did nothing with, then BAM, Tampa beats Oakland in the SB. Gruden gets all full of himself and runs Tampa into the ground, now he's an ESPN guru.

Those are good points but remember, Gruden still had to GET to the SuperBowl through other teams in the regular season and playoffs, and that's not easy to do (ask the other 30 teams that can't do it every year). So something has to be said for that...he's not all bad...

Heyneck
05-10-2012, 08:14 AM

Retard

Heyneck
05-10-2012, 08:19 AM
Meh, the team seems like it's set ok for QB for the next 15 years. The kid Os if his head is on straight seems like he can take the reigns if Manning isn't as advertised.

wait what? We haven't even seen Brock throw in a game situation and you are saying we are set for the next 15 years based on talent? Hell no!!! I love your optimism... but what the kid has done in college doesn't scream 15 year startert.

Heyneck
05-10-2012, 08:27 AM
...yeah, and your dad should've jerked off that night you were concieved

Or just used a condom. It prevents station wagons too!

Steve Sewell
05-10-2012, 08:47 AM

ROFL an Arizona troll?

I didn't know UofA and/or the Phoenix Cardinals even had real fans. Nice touch.

BroncoBeavis
05-10-2012, 09:30 AM
wait what? We haven't even seen Brock throw in a game situation and you are saying we are set for the next 15 years based on talent? Hell no!!! I love your optimism... but what the kid has done in college doesn't scream 15 year startert.

My favorite part. Brock's a franchise lock. It's whether Manning pans out that's the real concern. Hilarious!

DENVERDUI55
05-10-2012, 11:20 AM
Or just used a condom. It prevents station wagons too!

Or pulled out and shot on his mommy's belly.