PDA

View Full Version : OT: David the Android

Fedaykin
05-06-2012, 01:11 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cWmbqH_z7jM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Tombstone RJ
05-06-2012, 01:30 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cWmbqH_z7jM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

this is a spinoff of the Alien moves, si?

BroncoMan4ever
05-06-2012, 01:33 PM
Creepy!!

Is this still a prequel to Alien or did that get changed up?

Fedaykin
05-06-2012, 02:03 PM
Yep, still a prequel, though it's more like recycling the universe for a new direction. In the actual trailers it's clearly going to get into significant background on the space jockys, androids and Alien origins, but it's not a traditional prequel that will leave off where the first starts.

They are also doing this viral marketing which are not trailers but "world building" exercises.

BroncoMan4ever
05-06-2012, 02:13 PM
Yep, still a prequel, though it's more like recycling the universe for a new direction. In the actual trailers it's clearly going to get into significant background on the space jockys, androids and Alien origins, but it's not a traditional prequel that will leave off where the first starts.

They are also doing this viral marketing which are not trailers but "world building" exercises.

Thanks for the clarification. Seemed like the news kept going back and forth. Yes it is a prequel to Alien and then a week later no it isn't

myMind
05-06-2012, 02:20 PM

I actually think it might leave off right after the aftermath of the Jockey's ship crashing, which would set up the original Alien quite nicely.

Heyneck
05-06-2012, 02:23 PM
I actually think it might leave off right after the aftermath of the Jockey's ship crashing, which would set up the original Alien quite nicely.

Yup... think this is where it's going too. We might actually get to see a xenomorph or facehugger at the end.

Agamemnon
05-06-2012, 05:43 PM
Right now, no one knows what the connections to Alien are other than being set in the same fictional universe and the whole space jockey thing. They are keeping it all very secret.

myMind
05-06-2012, 06:24 PM
Begining of Alien

http://i48.tinypic.com/o5nz1e.jpg

From Prometheus trailer

http://i48.tinypic.com/2nqy2hi.jpg

Agamemnon
05-06-2012, 06:44 PM
From Alien:
http://cdn.screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/space-jockey-in-ridley-scotts-alien.jpg

From Prometheus:
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSxXiv7cfRRYeKauccHrVUFlQ83YyHO3 A2YYpBvGqgaYXPZpmbut2I-2Ew4

Dutch
05-06-2012, 08:48 PM
<object width='524' height='374'><param name='movie' value='http://video.ted.com/assets/player/swf/EmbedPlayer.swf'></param><param name='allowFullScreen' value='true' /><param name='wmode' value='transparent'></param><param name='bgColor' value='#ffffff'></param><param name='flashvars' value='vu=http://video.ted.com/talks/ads/postrolls/Prometheus/Prometheus-450k.mp4&su=http://images.ted.com/images/ted/tedindex/embed-posters/Prometheus-TED-embed.jpg&vw=512&vh=288&ap=0'/><embed src='http://video.ted.com/assets/player/swf/EmbedPlayer.swf' pluginspace='http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' wmode='transparent' bgColor='#ffffff' width='524' height='374' allowFullScreen='true' flashvars='vu=http://video.ted.com/talks/ads/postrolls/Prometheus/Prometheus-450k.mp4&su=http://images.ted.com/images/ted/tedindex/embed-posters/Prometheus-TED-embed.jpg&vw=512&vh=288&ap=0'></embed></object>

Couldn't remember if this one had been posted here before.

Agamemnon
05-06-2012, 11:15 PM
I had forgotten how good an actor Guy Pearce is.

Dutch
05-07-2012, 06:56 AM
I had forgotten how good an actor Guy Pearce is.

He really is. My younger Bro' caught the movie "Lockout" at a free screening a couple of weeks ago. Although he thought the movie overall was a bit of a letdown (Luc Besson is getting lazy), he was struck by just how good Pearce was in it. He was also great in the Australian film "The Proposition" (very violent flick, but with a purpose). My wife thought his Emmy winning performance was fantastic in HBO's miniseries "Mildred Pierce" (I didn't see that one).

Heyneck
05-07-2012, 09:25 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lU6wcZhMzEs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Going to be badass!!!

Kaylore
05-07-2012, 09:55 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lU6wcZhMzEs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Going to be badass!!!

REALLY glad Ridley Scott is doing this. He's wanted to for some time. He also manages to makes things a bit more visceral than James Cameron, who's movies tend to be a bunch of caricatures.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
05-07-2012, 10:06 AM
<embed src="http://www.ebaumsworld.com/player.swf" allowScriptAccess="always" flashvars="id1=1026469" wmode="opaque" width="567" height="345" allowfullscreen="true"/>

Terrifying.

broncosteven
05-07-2012, 11:06 AM
Right now, no one knows what the connections to Alien are other than being set in the same fictional universe and the whole space jockey thing. They are keeping it all very secret.

Yes, I read an article about it, Ridley Scott wanted to make another sci-fi movie and so he stayed within the Alien universe to make it.

There are rumors that he is going to make another movie in the Blade runner universe, if he does I wonder if Atari gets as much advertising action as it did in the 1st movie.

Fedaykin
05-07-2012, 01:15 PM

Looks that way chronologically but what I meant is that the story will not exist just to setup Alien. From the trailers, it looks like it's a separate story line dealing primarily with things other than the xenos where the xenos will play only a minor role if (if any at all).

Think of it in another way, had this movie been first Alien might be though of as a spin off film rather than a sequel. Kind of like The Mummy/The Scorpion King or Catwoman from Batman.

Agamemnon
05-07-2012, 01:31 PM
Yes, I read an article about it, Ridley Scott wanted to make another sci-fi movie and so he stayed within the Alien universe to make it.

There are rumors that he is going to make another movie in the Blade runner universe, if he does I wonder if Atari gets as much advertising action as it did in the 1st movie.

Oh that's not a rumor. He is making another Blade Runner movie. Though it could always get cancelled.

Heyneck
05-07-2012, 01:32 PM
Looks that way chronologically but what I meant is that the story will not exist just to setup Alien. From the trailers, it looks like it's a separate story line dealing primarily with things other than the xenos where the xenos will play only a minor role if (if any at all).

Think of it in another way, had this movie been first Alien might be though of as a spin off film rather than a sequel. Kind of like The Mummy/The Scorpion King or Catwoman from Batman.

<object id="vid_2099c063693ff0a3ac9af6ad64f34f10" class="ign-videoplayer" width="468" height="293" data="http://oystatic.ignimgs.com/src/core/swf/IGNPlayer.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"><param name="movie" value="http://oystatic.ignimgs.com/src/core/swf/IGNPlayer.swf" /><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" /><param name="flashvars" value="url=http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/03/21/rewind-theater-new-prometheus-trailer"/></object>

Agamemnon
05-07-2012, 01:38 PM
REALLY glad Ridley Scott is doing this. He's wanted to for some time. He also manages to makes things a bit more visceral than James Cameron, who's movies tend to be a bunch of caricatures.

What "movies" are you referring to? James Cameron only made one film in the franchise, and it's widely considered the best of them by most people.

There are only two directors who should be allowed to touch the franchise: Ridley Scott and James Cameron.

Agamemnon
05-07-2012, 01:48 PM
To those thinking this is the same ship and planet as in Alien, there is no evidence of that so far. Based on the previews it would actually seem likely that the planet (or moon seeing as it appears to be orbiting a gas giant) is the space jockey homeworld, and LV-426 had no signs of an alien civilization, just a crashed ship.

Kaylore
05-07-2012, 01:59 PM
What "movies" are you referring to? James Cameron only made one film in the franchise, and it's widely considered the best of them by most people.

There are only two directors who should be allowed to touch the franchise: Ridley Scott and James Cameron.

James Cameron is a bit overrated. Good stories, but with horrible characters. All his movies feature cartoonish characters that lack any believability. John Connor, the rebel youth who doesn't do drugs and can hack into computer systems somehow. That tiny hispanic marine woman in the Aliens who was "super bad ass dude! Everyone's scared of how tough this 5'1" Latino woman is! Oh wait? She grimaced at me? I'm sold!," and that's to say nothing of the infamous Bill Paxton and his immature and hysterical "Game over man! Game over!" befitting a seasoned space warrior. All the veterans I know break down into a whining rant like a 12 year old who lost at pac-man when the going gets tough.

I particularly hate how he repeatedly vilifies members of the military, usually making them appear weak-willed, violent, unstable and evil. The Abyss, Aliens, Avatar, Terminator, True Lies - Most of his characters have one note and it usually is not very believable.

Heyneck
05-07-2012, 02:00 PM
To those thinking this is the same ship and planet as in Alien, there is no evidence of that so far. Based on the previews it would actually seem likely that the planet (or moon seeing as it appears to be orbiting a gas giant) is the space jockey homeworld, and LV-426 had no signs of an alien civilization, just a crashed ship.

Uhh... all the evidence clearly points to it being that way. The only thing that makes me doubt this a little, is that Scott keeps talking about a possible sequel.

Kaylore
05-07-2012, 02:45 PM
Uhh... all the evidence clearly points to it being that way. The only thing that makes me doubt this a little, is that Scott keeps talking about a possible sequel.

And everyone else associated with the film. They mentioned there are some similarities but I read on quote where one of the producers went so far as to say this will not end where Alien began. The space Jockey's race will be revealed but if there is a sequel it supposedly will connect even less directly with Alien than this one is supposed to.

Agamemnon
05-07-2012, 03:42 PM
James Cameron is a bit overrated. Good stories, but with horrible characters. All his movies feature cartoonish characters that lack any believability. John Connor, the rebel youth who doesn't do drugs and can hack into computer systems somehow. That tiny hispanic marine woman in the Aliens who was "super bad ass dude! Everyone's scared of how tough this 5'1" Latino woman is! Oh wait? She grimaced at me? I'm sold!," and that's to say nothing of the infamous Bill Paxton and his immature and hysterical "Game over man! Game over!" befitting a seasoned space warrior. All the veterans I know break down into a whining rant like a 12 year old who lost at pac-man when the going gets tough.

I particularly hate how he repeatedly vilifies members of the military, usually making them appear weak-willed, violent, unstable and evil. The Abyss, Aliens, Avatar, Terminator, True Lies - Most of his characters have one note and it usually is not very believable.

I get what you're saying, and I think you have a point with many of his movies. He does do those things at times. But it isn't universal. And with Aliens in particular I feel like you are way off. The marines in that movie are actually the victims, and for the most part are represented in a fairly heroic, dignified, and human manner (especially Hicks). The only exception is Paxton's character, but I have no issue with his reaction (I think it's completely believable honestly). If you take a guy who is a veteran of only fighting other humans and present him with nightmarish aliens that bleed super-acid, the guy may well lose his ****. Veteran soldiers are nothing more than humans with coping mechanisms that allow them to deal with the horrors of war. The horrors in Aliens are very different from fighting a traditional war, so those coping mechanisms could easily break down.

Oh and I don't think anyone was supposed to be particularly scared of Vasquez. She was just supposed to be a bull dyke type of character.

P.S. Many people in the military are weak-willed, violent, and unstable (this is true of people in general, but the environment of violence and access guns can magnify it with soldiers). And the military history of the world tells us they can be unbelievably evil as well.

Heyneck
05-07-2012, 08:19 PM
And everyone else associated with the film. They mentioned there are some similarities but I read on quote where one of the producers went so far as to say this will not end where Alien began. The space Jockey's race will be revealed but if there is a sequel it supposedly will connect even less directly with Alien than this one is supposed to.

Well...I find that hard to believe. The way everything is starting to develop... the eerie similarities. I think the Space Jockey will be revealed... also with the fact that it appears that they are the creators of the universe, hence also the name of engineers.

It is suggested by Ridley Scott in the director commentary to the film that the Space Jockey's ship was an "aircraft carrier or battlewagon of a civilization, and the eggs were a cargo which were essentially weapons. Like a large form of bacterialogical/biomechanoid warfare." The eggs, which are kept in the ship's hold, could presumably be dropped on an enemy planet, and the Aliens would proceed to kill the population as they spawned. "The Space Jockey was...the driver of the craft who is now, after many ages...has started to look like a perfect example of...where does biology end and technology begin, because he seems to have grafted...into what essentially was...a pilot's seat. But clearly from here, this is where the transmission would emanate from probably in an automatic transmission. So this creature obviously had experienced, maybe one of the eggs had been disturbed and a creature had got out, had attacked the rest of the crew...but let's say he was a part of the civilization he came from and now had melded into his seat."

Which is why you hear in the trailer that they can't allow the ship to reach earth.

Another piece of evidence suggesting the tie up the Alien straight up... well it can actually be more of a SPOILER. I found this on a comment page the first trailer leaked in low quality. We WARNED... if true this link could spoil the whole movie. I couldn't help myself because I had to know if Prometheus was in fact connected to the Aliens universe.

The link you will find bellow contains a leaked plot summary. It was latter refuted by the movie studio. But keep this in mind... this plot summary has been floating on the web supposedly since august 2011... before any actual footage, pics or trailer where even available. And up to this point... the trailers make this plot seem very very accurate.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS
http://www.tgdaily.com/entertainment/59905-alleged-prometheus-plot-summary-hits-the-net

Kaylore
05-07-2012, 10:03 PM
I get what you're saying, and I think you have a point with many of his movies. He does do those things at times. But it isn't universal. And with Aliens in particular I feel like you are way off. The marines in that movie are actually the victims, and for the most part are represented in a fairly heroic, dignified, and human manner (especially Hicks). The only exception is Paxton's character, but I have no issue with his reaction (I think it's completely believable honestly). If you take a guy who is a veteran of only fighting other humans and present him with nightmarish aliens that bleed super-acid, the guy may well lose his ****. Veteran soldiers are nothing more than humans with coping mechanisms that allow them to deal with the horrors of war. The horrors in Aliens are very different from fighting a traditional war, so those coping mechanisms could easily break down.

Oh and I don't think anyone was supposed to be particularly scared of Vasquez. She was just supposed to be a bull dyke type of character.

P.S. Many people in the military are weak-willed, violent, and unstable (this is true of people in general, but the environment of violence and access guns can magnify it with soldiers). And the military history of the world tells us they can be unbelievably evil as well.

Except Paxton's character lives and they did fight aliens. When they're thawed out they say "another bug hunt" suggesting they fight creatures all the time.

Don't take my comments on Cameron's movies as me hating them. I really enjoyed Aliens, Abyss and T2. I just think his characters are poor. Whether it's a stammering lieutenant who needs a former space truck driver to make a decision for him, a whiny soldier or an trying-too-hard midget woman - none are believable, dynamic or change in even the littlest way in his movies. Ripley wasn't even his character; he inherited her. In fact I can think of just of few of his characters that actually grow in his movies and all are predictable.

Kaylore
05-07-2012, 10:05 PM
Well...I find that hard to believe. The way everything is starting to develop... the eerie similarities. I think the Space Jockey will be revealed... also with the fact that it appears that they are the creators of the universe, hence also the name of engineers.

It is suggested by Ridley Scott in the director commentary to the film that the Space Jockey's ship was an "aircraft carrier or battlewagon of a civilization, and the eggs were a cargo which were essentially weapons. Like a large form of bacterialogical/biomechanoid warfare." The eggs, which are kept in the ship's hold, could presumably be dropped on an enemy planet, and the Aliens would proceed to kill the population as they spawned. "The Space Jockey was...the driver of the craft who is now, after many ages...has started to look like a perfect example of...where does biology end and technology begin, because he seems to have grafted...into what essentially was...a pilot's seat. But clearly from here, this is where the transmission would emanate from probably in an automatic transmission. So this creature obviously had experienced, maybe one of the eggs had been disturbed and a creature had got out, had attacked the rest of the crew...but let's say he was a part of the civilization he came from and now had melded into his seat."

Which is why you hear in the trailer that they can't allow the ship to reach earth.

Another piece of evidence suggesting the tie up the Alien straight up... well it can actually be more of a SPOILER. I found this on a comment page the first trailer leaked in low quality. We WARNED... if true this link could spoil the whole movie. I couldn't help myself because I had to know if Prometheus was in fact connected to the Aliens universe.

The link you will find bellow contains a leaked plot summary. It was latter refuted by the movie studio. But keep this in mind... this plot summary has been floating on the web supposedly since august 2011... before any actual footage, pics or trailer where even available. And up to this point... the trailers make this plot seem very very accurate.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS
http://www.tgdaily.com/entertainment/59905-alleged-prometheus-plot-summary-hits-the-net

"When asked if a sequel would move closer to being a prequel to the events of Alien, Lindelof said "if we’re fortunate enough to do a sequel to Prometheus, it will tangentialize even further away from the original Alien."[13]

Heyneck
05-07-2012, 10:20 PM
"When asked if a sequel would move closer to being a prequel to the events of Alien, Lindelof said "if we’re fortunate enough to do a sequel to Prometheus, it will tangentialize even further away from the original Alien."[13]

Yup... I agree. If for some reason there is a sequel to Prometheus... it has to steer away from the Alien storyline. But it still doesn't preclude Prometheus from being a previous story too how Alien starts.

I bet... that the Fossilized Space Jockey we see in Alien is the same one they show alive in the Prometheus trailer. The "Pilot" will crash in LV-42 with alien eggs in it's cargo bay. Bet on it!!! Could this be a side story to the events in Prometheus? Yes.