PDA

View Full Version : Dear EA Sports and Tiburon

Willynowei
05-05-2012, 03:28 PM
Football is the greatest thing created by mankind.

Madden is the only representation of that thing that some of us can play on certain days whether thats cause we can't or don't have the friends to play w/ on that day.

So why do they have people that clearly have no idea about anything football related create this game, why does it do such a horrible job of portraying real football, why do linebackers jump unrealistically high, why are lobs harder to pick off hitting the hands of a defender that the computer controls than a bullet pass, why can fat linemen do lynn swann like catches over the shoulder, why is zone blocking wrongly implemented, why are footballs thrown like they are tied on a line to a receiver thats invisible and sporatic when a timing route thats incomplete should go to where the QB EXPECTS the receiver, why do players backpedal when they should turn and run and why do they run with their backs turned around when they should back pedal, why is a safety able back pedal as fast as calvin johnson can run forward in a straight line, why is there no such thing as true momentum, why is there no such thing as real physics.

Okay, NFL 2k5 does literally everything better 8 years ago, and they would do everything better today, that is why there is no EA sports NBA game.

Go to hell EA, go to hell Tiburon and the whole madden team, you destroy people's lazy days off where they want to pretend they are playing their favorite players.

Go die.

That is all.

rugbythug
05-05-2012, 03:31 PM
But what do you think about their video game?

Agamemnon
05-05-2012, 03:44 PM
I've got to say I totally agree. Every year I try the demo of the newest Madden, roll my eyes, and immediately uninstall it. It's an absolutely terrible product, yet people buy it anyway because there is no competition.

Dr. Broncenstein
05-05-2012, 03:51 PM
The subtle signs of an empire in decay...

Houshyamama
05-05-2012, 03:54 PM
The subtle signs of an empire in decay...

Signed: Every previous generation.

Dr. Broncenstein
05-05-2012, 04:07 PM
Occupy EA Sports.

houghtam
05-05-2012, 04:08 PM
Haven't played Madden since 05 for that reason. The game has no realism, and the franchise mode from what I've seen isn't worth the $60. I'd rather play MLB the Show or NCAA Football.

Drek
05-05-2012, 04:08 PM
Go to hell EA, go to hell Tiburon and the whole madden team, you destroy people's lazy days off where they want to pretend they are playing their favorite players.

Go die.

That is all.

A large portion of the Madden 2012 team has actually left Tiburon and they have had to rebuild the dev team from the ground up for the 2013 season.

Still won't be a good game, but the cracks in Tiburon as the developer are starting to show and the sales are in near constant decline. Wouldn't surprise me if the NFL walks away from the exclusivity deal after the 2013 NFL season (Madden 2014). They now have CBA stability and likely won't be as willing to tack on more time when Madden isn't the bell weather franchise it used to be.

Which would be just in time for the next generation Playstation and Xbox.

yerner
05-05-2012, 04:15 PM
quit playing madden for the first time this year since it started. it's garbage. i play fifa now and it's pretty amazing.

Lestat
05-05-2012, 04:16 PM
please bring back the 2K football series. that was an awesome game and killed any chances of my ever buying another Madden game. i had 2004 and haven't bought Madden since.

maher_tyler
05-05-2012, 04:25 PM
Thats pretty much every EA game there is. The NHL games are pretty much ignored. They'll do roster updates here and there but thats about as far as they go. Mike Smith still has an overall rating of 83..pretty much all you need to know. Seems like they got lazy at EA...whenever you wanted a sports game it was EA. I'm done with everything EA until they make sweeping changes and not some glorified roster updates.

The guy in this video explains pretty much how all of us feel about Madden..

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ebuch6-Iv6U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

UberBroncoMan
05-05-2012, 05:03 PM
There's a reason EA spent a measly $300 million for the exclusivity. Not only do they make their return back in sales, it lowers their yearly development cost by an extensive amount.

errand
05-05-2012, 05:07 PM
What bugs me is their slogan "if it's in the game....it's in the game."

Playing on franchise you can't trade future draft picks like Broncos did to obtain Elway or Redskins did to get RGIII

Players retire around 34-36 years regardless how high their ratings are. I understand the majority usually do but guys like Dawkins and others played to almost 40. Only kickers and punters do in the game.

It use to keep track of every season's SB champion and hall of fame players....and should keep track of franchise records. Not to mention there have only been 5 guys that have rushed for 2000 yards in the entire history of the league.....and yet there are clowns doing it every other season.

Guys with accuracy ratings over 90 leading the league in INT's and QB's rushing for 1,000 yards or more...and during simulated preseason games only the starters and second teamers get in game.

And nobody gets suspended despite the fact that it happens almost every damn day....(I'm sure the player's union is the reason). You can't fire coach in mid-season....and the player on cover never seems to have a poor outing.....

If it's in the game...it should really be in the game.

delany
05-05-2012, 05:16 PM
I was happy with a pixelated tank and biplane.

BroncoBeavis
05-05-2012, 05:42 PM
I still play 2k5 with my son. He's pretty familiar with the roster from the Plummer years. :)

We have Madden 2012. Just can't get into it. Last one I bought before that was 2008, and didn't care for that either.

BroncoBeavis
05-05-2012, 05:54 PM
Oh, that's Great Sir !!

Hey, thanks, Spamela.

U hhh, so what are you wearing?

Mmmm Hmm Hmm.

Navy Broncos Fan
05-05-2012, 06:11 PM
I love playing Madden still with friends, not really online anymore.

Some things that really piss me off or I would like changed:
Bring back the championship teams. I don't want to play the stupid developers. I would rather play one of the great Superbowl teams of the past.

Agreed, why do linebackers jump 16 feet high and make 1 handed circus catches.

Although I use it, the fade route inside the 10 is WAY to powerful with any receiver, just put them on the outside and throw a fade.

How about some fumbled snaps, or ****ty snaps on field goals and punts?

The Madden Ultimate Team is a pretty cool idea for those of us who collected football cards as kids, but I have to dominate like 6 games to get a new good pack of cards, lets lower the coins a little bit.

Willynowei
05-05-2012, 06:48 PM
Anyone who has played any of the 2k games knows what a real developer can do with the game.

All pro 2k7 was made 5 years ago, it was made on a extremely small budget without any NFL logos. Despite all those challenges it still represents football better than madden ever could.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6bFBVlBaFs&feature=related

NFL 2k5 is almost 7 years old... 7 years. It took madden 6 years after its release to get actual tackling, and it still doesn't have many of the things that 2k5 did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOInt2dDUtE&feature=relmfu

Okay I'm done complaining, nothing is going to change, there tons of people wanting to throw their money at a new 2k5 game, but the exclusivity agreement doesn't allow it to be made.

robbing me of my football fantasies has got to be unamerican. or something...

>:(

Agamemnon
05-05-2012, 09:07 PM
There's a reason EA spent a measly $300 million for the exclusivity. Not only do they make their return back in sales, it lowers their yearly development cost by an extensive amount.

It also saves them tons of money on marketing, as they don't really have to adversities that much, being the only NFL licensed game.

Broncos_OTM
05-05-2012, 10:40 PM
It also saves them tons of money on marketing, as they don't really have to adversities that much, being the only NFL licensed game.

madden does alot of marketing.

SoCalBronco
05-05-2012, 10:46 PM
EA Sports

It's in the game.

Bronco Rob
05-05-2012, 10:52 PM
Visual Concepts > Tiburon

When EA bullied VC out of the market it was the worst thing to happen to us the consumers.

Archer81
05-06-2012, 12:36 AM
Simple solution is not to buy it.

:Broncos:

wolf754life
05-06-2012, 01:05 AM
I agree wholeheartedly with this, Madden is a blatant cash grab from EA.

If they did create a realistic game, with a deep authentic franchise mode, customizations out the ying yang, statistical accuracy/track record/hall of fame etc...

Some of us would lose our jobs or our marriages, so when you look at it EA is doing society a favor. If they re-up with EA on an exclusive then someone has to come in and make a super duper generic that blows the walls down!

Once "God" ell the commish sees that he will think twice. Does anyone know when that contract expires?

One other thing, why can't they make a new tecmo game with generic names with franchise mode

Shananahan
05-06-2012, 01:47 AM
If they did create a realistic game, with a deep authentic franchise mode, customizations out the ying yang, statistical accuracy/track record/hall of fame etc...
...they wouldn't make nearly as much money.

Broncos_OTM
05-06-2012, 02:49 AM
I'm still waiting on a half decent dirt bike game ... madden is awesome in comparison quakity

Agamemnon
05-06-2012, 05:00 AM
madden does alot of marketing.

I think you missed my point. It's not that they don't do marketing, it's that they don't do nearly as much as they would have to otherwise if there was another franchise out there.

Agamemnon
05-06-2012, 05:03 AM
...they wouldn't make nearly as much money.

I would imagine it would be pretty easy to offer more casual play options as well...

chickennob2
05-06-2012, 07:58 AM
Unfortunately, a large portion of Madden's target audience aren't knowledgable football fans. They're guys that like to play games. Yes there's a lot of overlap, but a whole lot of Madden players don't want a football simulator. Imagine being an avid Madden gamer, even to the extent of going to tournaments, being professional Madden players. Imagine being in a Madden tournament, down 2, 3 seconds left, you're on their 30. Field goal to win the championship. Do you really want the outcome to be determined by some "bad snap" random number generator? Absolutely not. People would riot. And the fact is, there are more of those types of people who buy Madden and turn Madden into the cultural icon it aspires to be, than there are people who want an accurate football simulation.

It's often a question of choosing better football mechanics or game mechanics, and since they are first and foremost making a video game, they choose better game mechanics.

Now you could say that they should make two game modes, "realistic" and "arcade" or something, or that they should just make a second game "EA Football Simulator". And I agree, I think there's a market for that. But at the end of the day that's a business decision for EA, and not at all something that the NFL said they required (or gave themselves the ability to push for) in the exclusivity contract.

Bahshay
05-06-2012, 08:19 AM
Unfortunately, a large portion of Madden's target audience aren't knowledgable football fans. They're guys that like to play games. Yes there's a lot of overlap, but a whole lot of Madden players don't want a football simulator. Imagine being an avid Madden gamer, even to the extent of going to tournaments, being professional Madden players. Imagine being in a Madden tournament, down 2, 3 seconds left, you're on their 30. Field goal to win the championship. Do you really want the outcome to be determined by some "bad snap" random number generator? Absolutely not. People would riot. And the fact is, there are more of those types of people who buy Madden and turn Madden into the cultural icon it aspires to be, than there are people who want an accurate football simulation.

It's often a question of choosing better football mechanics or game mechanics, and since they are first and foremost making a video game, they choose better game mechanics.

Now you could say that they should make two game modes, "realistic" and "arcade" or something, or that they should just make a second game "EA Football Simulator". And I agree, I think there's a market for that. But at the end of the day that's a business decision for EA, and not at all something that the NFL said they required (or gave themselves the ability to push for) in the exclusivity contract.

Nailed it. Madden is what it is: an arcade type football game. NFL 2k was the Football Sim and was the game of choice for the football gamers that valued realism. If I remember correctly, NFL 2k5 came with a release price of just $20 to try to compete with Madden. They still lost... easily.

Madden doesn't make a bad product, they make a good product for their fanbase. Their consumers are gamers that like football. NFL 2k also had a great product for football fans that like games. The company that screwed up was the NFL for dicking their fans over with an exclusivity contract.

houghtam
05-06-2012, 08:48 AM
Nailed it. Madden is what it is: an arcade type football game. NFL 2k was the Football Sim and was the game of choice for the football gamers that valued realism. If I remember correctly, NFL 2k5 came with a release price of just $20 to try to compete with Madden. They still lost... easily.

Madden doesn't make a bad product, they make a good product for their fanbase. Their consumers are gamers that like football. NFL 2k also had a great product for football fans that like games. The company that screwed up was the NFL for dicking their fans over with an exclusivity contract.

Yep. Madden is NFL Blitz with more players and less muscles. That's all. There's really no depth to it.

Out of all the people that play the game, only a very small percentage of them should be able to rush for over 2000 yards in a season, and even then only with the best rushers/offensive lines. It should be nearly impossible to do. Same thing with passing. Fixing all the bugs mentioned in this thread would do that, unfortunately a huge majority of their fanbase wouldn't buy it the next year, because it's "too hard" (i.e. "I can't complete 25 passes of 30+ yards in a game anymore").

Face it, the Madden franchise is broken, and has been for years. Even if they lose exclusivity, Madden will still be the #1 selling franchise out of previous popularity alone. The best that can be hoped for is 2k or another company puts together a decent game that the people who can't stand Madden will enjoy. Call me when that happens.

RhymesayersDU
05-06-2012, 09:21 AM
LOL @ Madden and Blitz in the same sentence. Beyond ridiculous.

Dr. Broncenstein
05-06-2012, 09:22 AM
Grown men truly angry over a video game.

OrangeSe7en
05-06-2012, 09:25 AM

Before video games, there were grown men playing with train sets. It's no different.

houghtam
05-06-2012, 09:40 AM
LOL @ Madden and Blitz in the same sentence. Beyond ridiculous.

Thanks for adding to the conversation. Truly a well thought out and informative response.

Let me know when the two games aren't comparable in terms of realism.

maher_tyler
05-06-2012, 09:55 AM
Thanks for adding to the conversation. Truly a well thought out and informative response.

I remember Madden 96 on Sega you could hit and sometimes hurt guys after the play was over...

Shananahan
05-06-2012, 10:46 AM
Grown men post here?

RhymesayersDU
05-06-2012, 11:32 AM

Hav you ever even played Blitz?

It's 7 on 7.

1st downs are 40 yards.

There's a 2-page playbook with no run plays.

There are no penalties for pass interference.

There are no injuries.

Seriously, are you just trolling here? I get that you hate Madden and it's truly adorable, but Madden and Blitz aren't comparable in any way other than they're football related. You've got to be trolling here. I fell for it and took the bait. Kudos.

ChampJesusBailey
05-06-2012, 02:29 PM
2k5 was an average football title overrated because of the license deal and the $20 price tag. Madden aint perfect but it's a good football title.

NUB
05-06-2012, 06:13 PM
My 7-year old nephew almost beat me with the Saints by running around with Drew Brees and bombing it downfield.

I am not kidding.

Madden is arcade trash and I still scratch my head at anyone who says it reflects the game of football whatsoever. And EA didn't spend millions of dollars because 2K5 was an "average game"; it was so clearly superior to Madden in literally every single facet that EA crapped themselves and took action.

yerner
05-06-2012, 06:27 PM
2k5 was an average football title overrated because of the license deal and the $20 price tag. Madden aint perfect but it's a good football title.

bull****.

ChampJesusBailey
05-06-2012, 06:31 PM
My 7-year old nephew almost beat me with the Saints by running around with Drew Brees and bombing it downfield.

I am not kidding.

Madden is arcade trash and I still scratch my head at anyone who says it reflects the game of football whatsoever. And EA didn't spend millions of dollars because 2K5 was an "average game"; it was so clearly superior to Madden in literally every single facet that EA crapped themselves and took action.

When 2k dropped their price to $20, EA dropped to $40 and then $30 just to compete with that price. The NFL saw this and saw where it was heading, less revenue from football games and naturally less licensing costs. They approached the companies with an exclusive deal in mind and EA won the bidding war.

As for your 7 year old nephew, sounds like you suck at Madden. Just saying.

errand
05-06-2012, 06:40 PM

It's like bowling for soup says high school never ends

Broncos_OTM
05-06-2012, 06:44 PM
I think you missed my point. It's not that they don't do marketing, it's that they don't do nearly as much as they would have to otherwise if there was another franchise out there.

I got your point. I think you missed mine,. Idont know how much more advertising they could do?the food channel? May readers digest? Maybe cosmopolitan?

Agamemnon
05-06-2012, 06:45 PM
I got your point. I think you missed mine,. Idont know how much more advertising they could do?the food channel? May readers digest? Maybe cosmopolitan?

A lot more.

Shananahan
05-06-2012, 06:47 PM
I'm having a hard time imagining a less interesting argument.

Broncos_OTM
05-06-2012, 07:02 PM
I'm having a hard time imagining a less interesting argument.

Oh we're we supposed to be entertaining you, my apologies. What would you like to talk about. Got the new asus tablet still mastering it lol

Broncos_OTM
05-06-2012, 07:10 PM
A lot more.
Cionsidering its probably the most advertised game out there. Your logic is failing here

NUB
05-06-2012, 07:42 PM
When 2k dropped their price to $20, EA dropped to $40 and then $30 just to compete with that price. The NFL saw this and saw where it was heading, less revenue from football games and naturally less licensing costs. They approached the companies with an exclusive deal in mind and EA won the bidding war.

I guarantee you there was more to it than the NFL just showing up. EA paid a very penny pretty for that licensing agreement, not the sort of deal that gets made if one side --the NFL -- suddenly wants something that bad.

And I'm bad at the game? I invite you to watch any Madden tournament ever. The game is a complete joke and not remotely an accurate representation of the game of football.

Willynowei
05-06-2012, 07:42 PM

You know nothing about football if you think that.

Willynowei
05-06-2012, 07:48 PM

That was a rumor created by a couple game journalists, you clearly know nothing.

Madden had 90% of the market before 2k5 lowered the price. That was also the first year that all the videogame websites grew the balls to grade 2k5 higher than madden. THis, while everyone who owned both games knew that 2k series had been better than madden for years, but journalists are always scared of giving a low score to heavy hitting publishers like EA.

When they finally rated 2k5 higher, and the price came in at 20 dollars, the initial sales for 2k5 exploded, and word of mouth quickly spread that 2k was that much better than madden.

By the middle of that year, 2k5 sales began to over take madden and they had near 50% of the overall market share across all platforms.

EA then ponies up the money to approach the NFL. 2k Knew they had the better product, they knew they would lose money if they kept selling it at $30, their plan all along was to raise the price as soon as people gave the game a try.

EA is scared of 2k5, EA used to do multiple NFL titles, but now they only release one at a time, because they don't even have the production money to make any more titles after how much they are paying for that exclusive license.

They would never pay so much if they were confident in their product.

Willynowei
05-06-2012, 07:56 PM
I guarantee you there was more to it than the NFL just showing up. EA paid a very penny pretty for that licensing agreement, not the sort of deal that gets made if one side --the NFL -- suddenly wants something that bad.

And I'm bad at the game? I invite you to watch any Madden tournament ever. The game is a complete joke and not remotely an accurate representation of the game of football.

He calls other people bad at the game but he probably doesn't even know what "Good" at Madden looks like.

When the counter to a cover 2 or a cover 3 or a cover 4 in the game is to bullet a deep ball and then "user" the receiver to run in a certain pattern so that the "interception animation" doesn't trigger.... your game sucks.

Go to hell Madden and the people who made it.

ChampJesusBailey
05-06-2012, 09:32 PM

Oh, no doubt EA didn't mind the deal being made. They eliminate the competition and get to release their game at $60. But it wasn't just a win for EA. It was a win for the NFL as well. And are you really questioning the NFL signing an exclusive deal? That is what the NFL is all about. They license virtually everything out to the highest bidder.

Well there is your mistake, you should never rely on tournament play for anything because people are always going to do whatever is cheapest and works best. You're going to see nothing but money plays and nano blitzes but don't act as if 2k5 was any different.

My point remains though. If you are telling me you got beat by some 7 year old running around and hurling it up with Brees over and over then you're either lying or terrible at the game.

Shananahan
05-06-2012, 09:38 PM
He certainly wasn't just exaggerating to make a point.

NUB
05-06-2012, 09:46 PM
Oh, no doubt EA didn't mind the deal being made. They eliminate the competition and get to release their game at $60. But it wasn't just a win for EA. It was a win for the NFL as well. And are you really questioning the NFL signing an exclusive deal? That is what the NFL is all about. They license virtually everything out to the highest bidder.

The NFL was fine for years with letting all the NFL titles run about. The simple fact is that EA had enough of a war chest to swing around its financial might. Nobody should be defending that company's actions, regardless of who else had played a hand.

Well there is your mistake, you should never rely on tournament play for anything because people are always going to do whatever is cheapest and works best. You're going to see nothing but money plays and nano blitzes but don't act as if 2k5 was any different.

I was a top player in 2K5, actually. There was only one gimmick and that was d-line shuffling through the offensive line very quickly. This was fixed by shifting a fullback to catch the guy when you dropped back or, if they were being particularly heavy-handed, just folding everyone into bunched formations. I remember a Cowboys player who would always go 4-6 defense and blitz damn near everyone. I beat him by clustering everyone together. Not an issue. Every "trick" had an equally potent "answer", one just had to take the time to figure it out. People who depended upon gimmicks didn't last long in the upper echelons of 2K5; you needed to have a good handle on playcalling, the short passing game, and 3rd down conversions.

My point remains though. If you are telling me you got beat by some 7 year old running around and hurling it up with Brees over and over then you're either lying or terrible at the game.

One thing that has always been consistent about Madden is that it doesn't have a damn clue how to represent NFL defenses. Between the ninja, ten-foot leaping linebackers and the insta-teleporting defenders, and hokey tackling system, it is a mess. And the stats, just as they are for offense, mean almost nothing. Speed is and always will be the #1 stat. If you're fast, then that's all you need. Because none of the other "attributes" actually do anything. Champ Bailey was the best corner in 2K5, by far, and it was extremely noticeable (if you played online leagues people would want to make blockbuster trades to get him; he was that effective and I am not exaggerating). In Madden, he is indistinguishable from any other corner. Because none of them can cover. And QBs can run backwards and turn on a dime with a laser pass downfield.

So yes, my nephew almost beat me by playing the game like it was NFL Blitz. But the way he played is the way everyone plays because the series is still unable to get rid of the arcade crap. The 'battle' between offense and defense has consistently played to one boring tune: the Big Money Play vs. the Gimmick Defense. That's it.

ChampJesusBailey
05-06-2012, 10:14 PM
You covered a lot in that response, will just respond in bold under each point.

That was a rumor created by a couple game journalists, you clearly know nothing.

There are many reports of the NFL approaching the video game world with the exclusive deal. You have anything factual that suggests otherwise, go ahead and post it.

Madden had 90% of the market before 2k5 lowered the price. That was also the first year that all the videogame websites grew the balls to grade 2k5 higher than madden. THis, while everyone who owned both games knew that 2k series had been better than madden for years, but journalists are always scared of giving a low score to heavy hitting publishers like EA.

I never argued that Madden wasn't dominating the market. Why else would the NFL be worried about losing revenue? If 2k was selling worth a crap, they wouldn't have had to drop the price to $20. That wouldn't have forced Madden to drop the price and that wouldn't have gotten the NFL worried about lower revenues.

When they finally rated 2k5 higher, and the price came in at 20 dollars, the initial sales for 2k5 exploded, and word of mouth quickly spread that 2k was that much better than madden.

That wasn't the first time 2k rated higher than Madden. NFL 2K1, one of the greatest football titles ever, outscored Madden 2001. You honestly think people gave a crap about review scores for a football title? Sales exploded because people saw the $20 price tag and jumped on it. We can go round and round all day about which franchise is better. Personally I think 2k peaked on the Dreamcast with NFL2k1/2k2 and from then on they were just slightly worse than Madden, which I believe peaked with the 05/06 titles. Reviews show that. The jump up to Madden in reviews with 2k5 was due to nothing other than the super cheap price. Try and find a review of 2k5 that doesn't gush about the price and what a value the game is. Had nothing to do with gameplay. And even then, you're talking about a 2k5 game that launched on PS2/Xbox only and averaged a 91 between the two consoles. Madden on PS2/Xbox.. also a 91. If these reviewers finally grew these hypothetical balls, why not actually review 2k5 higher? Or Madden lower?

By the middle of that year, 2k5 sales began to over take madden and they had near 50% of the overall market share across all platforms.

The only time 2k5 had "near 50%" of the market share was in August of 2004 when Madden launched because 2k Sports had not only dropped the price to 1/3 of Madden but they also pushed their typical release of early September into mid July to beat Madden to the market. So they had an entire month to rack up 800,000 in sales before getting another 800,000 in August while Madden topped 2 million. And from then on Madden just continued to outsell it month after month.

EA then ponies up the money to approach the NFL. 2k Knew they had the better product, they knew they would lose money if they kept selling it at $30, their plan all along was to raise the price as soon as people gave the game a try.

$20. 2k's game was $20. Also, the only things I have read regarding the deal is that the NFL decided to make it exclusive and 5 companies were involved in the bidding process and EA won. Not saying I am right or you are wrong but where is your info coming from?

EA is scared of 2k5, EA used to do multiple NFL titles, but now they only release one at a time, because they don't even have the production money to make any more titles after how much they are paying for that exclusive license.

They stopped doing the other titles because they were financial bombs. Do you know many people who bought NFL Head Coach? I sure don't. What about NFL Street? Nope, me either.

They would never pay so much if they were confident in their product.

Funny, that logic could easily apply to 2k as well. If they thought their game was good they wouldn't have had to rush it out in July for $20.

Just want to add, I bought every single 2k football title day one since NFL 2K at the launch of the Dreamcast. I even bought Road to the Rose Bowl and APF2K8. I bought 2k5 day one and played it along side Madden. It was a quality football title, not up to par with Madden imho, but worth the $20. I just think since the series was killed off it instantly became revered as a classic when it was far from it. It had issues just like Madden does. Overpowered run game, glitchy controls, terrible defensive AI just to name a few big ones. I agree it sucks that the franchise was canceled. As I said above, I think the golden years of Madden football was maybe 04-06, which was when the competition was the strongest. You take that out and EA has been incredibly lazy and crappy this generation. I think Madden 12 is the first football title they have put out this gen that is worth a crap. They have a new team this year after a lot of rollover at Tiburon, I hope it keeps them on the right track.

Doggcow
05-06-2012, 10:19 PM
You covered a lot in that response, will just respond in bold under each point.

Just want to add, I bought every single 2k football title day one since NFL 2K at the launch of the Dreamcast. I even bought Road to the Rose Bowl and APF2K8. I bought 2k5 day one and played it along side Madden. It was a quality football title, not up to par with Madden imho, but worth the $20. I just think since the series was killed off it instantly became revered as a classic when it was far from it. It had issues just like Madden does. Overpowered run game, glitchy controls, terrible defensive AI just to name a few big ones. I agree it sucks that the franchise was canceled. As I said above, I think the golden years of Madden football was maybe 04-06, which was when the competition was the strongest. You take that out and EA has been incredibly lazy and crappy this generation. I think Madden 12 is the first football title they have put out this gen that is worth a crap. They have a new team this year after a lot of rollover at Tiburon, I hope it keeps them on the right track.

LOL @ someone thinking NFL 2k5 was marketed at $20 because they "weren't selling"

ChampJesusBailey
05-06-2012, 10:24 PM
The NFL was fine for years with letting all the NFL titles run about. The simple fact is that EA had enough of a war chest to swing around its financial might. Nobody should be defending that company's actions, regardless of who else had played a hand.

I was a top player in 2K5, actually. There was only one gimmick and that was d-line shuffling through the offensive line very quickly. This was fixed by shifting a fullback to catch the guy when you dropped back or, if they were being particularly heavy-handed, just folding everyone into bunched formations. I remember a Cowboys player who would always go 4-6 defense and blitz damn near everyone. I beat him by clustering everyone together. Not an issue. Every "trick" had an equally potent "answer", one just had to take the time to figure it out. People who depended upon gimmicks didn't last long in the upper echelons of 2K5; you needed to have a good handle on playcalling, the short passing game, and 3rd down conversions.

One thing that has always been consistent about Madden is that it doesn't have a damn clue how to represent NFL defenses. Between the ninja, ten-foot leaping linebackers and the insta-teleporting defenders, and hokey tackling system, it is a mess. And the stats, just as they are for offense, mean almost nothing. Speed is and always will be the #1 stat. If you're fast, then that's all you need. Because none of the other "attributes" actually do anything. Champ Bailey was the best corner in 2K5, by far, and it was extremely noticeable (if you played online leagues people would want to make blockbuster trades to get him; he was that effective and I am not exaggerating). In Madden, he is indistinguishable from any other corner. Because none of them can cover. And QBs can run backwards and turn on a dime with a laser pass downfield.

So yes, my nephew almost beat me by playing the game like it was NFL Blitz. But the way he played is the way everyone plays because the series is still unable to get rid of the arcade crap. The 'battle' between offense and defense has consistently played to one boring tune: the Big Money Play vs. the Gimmick Defense. That's it.

The NFL didn't care before because every game sold at $50. You have a franchise undercut the competition by $30 which then forces the big seller to drop $10 and $20 then you have a big issue with revenues. EA makes less revenue, they don't want to pay as much for the NFL license. It's no different than how the NFL runs any of their other exclusive deals, and they have many of them.

After your nephew dropped back more than 8 yards his receiver icons would have disappeared and he would have had to just hurl it up to someone. Forget about firing a laser, the wind up on a throw like that would have been epic and it would have just been a jump ball, assuming it even stayed in bounds. So I'd have to question what kind of defense you're playing if someone that simple almost beat you. All that talk about how bad Madden defense is, apparently you just might not know how to play it.

Shananahan
05-06-2012, 10:28 PM
Have you considered that maybe his nephew is a Madden prodigy?

ChampJesusBailey
05-06-2012, 10:33 PM
LOL @ someone thinking NFL 2k5 was marketed at $20 because they "weren't selling"

I simply said the other guys logic regarding confidence could imply 2k had none in their own franchise. It goes both ways.

Doggcow
05-06-2012, 10:36 PM
I simply said the other guys logic regarding confidence could imply 2k had none in their own franchise. It goes both ways.

That's like saying McDonald's has no confidence in itself because it has a dollar menu now...

ChampJesusBailey
05-06-2012, 10:40 PM
That's like saying McDonald's has no confidence in itself because it has a dollar menu now...

Not at all because McDonalds also offers more expensive premium items. Analogy sucks worse than McDonalds.

NUB
05-06-2012, 10:59 PM
The NFL didn't care before because every game sold at $50. You have a franchise undercut the competition by $30 which then forces the big seller to drop $10 and $20 then you have a big issue with revenues. EA makes less revenue, they don't want to pay as much for the NFL license. It's no different than how the NFL runs any of their other exclusive deals, and they have many of them.

That revenue was not going to stay low permanently so what point are you trying to make? If anything, there was a large opportunity for a two-game market to be established; there never would have been a genuine loss of the net or whole market -- only a loss of EA's slice of the overall pie. EA is a huge gaming company with many golden cows to be milking. They swung a mighty warchest in the NFL's face and that was that. It's not complicated.

After your nephew dropped back more than 8 yards his receiver icons would have disappeared and he would have had to just hurl it up to someone. Forget about firing a laser, the wind up on a throw like that would have been epic and it would have just been a jump ball, assuming it even stayed in bounds. So I'd have to question what kind of defense you're playing if someone that simple almost beat you. All that talk about how bad Madden defense is, apparently you just might not know how to play it.

What kind of defense do you think I was running? Why does it matter if I was playing or if the AI was? You are making irrelevant observations when the there is a very simple point being illustrated here about a supposed "football simulation".

Go play the game. Pick a stout passing team (Saints, for example). Call long developing routes. Play the game with your eyes closed and just throw passes downfield all day. I am not kidding. I have seen this gameplay used since at least 2005. So little has changed it's a complete joke and it is because EA invests as little as possible into these games. Have you read of the development cycle? They churn these titles out by abusing the dev team and recycling old models. That's why you get animations from 2001 still in the game a damn decade later. That's why defenders still spin in place and gameplay gimmicks from 2006 still linger unfixed. These are not good games and I scratch my head at people who think they are (gaming "journalists" aside, as they are paid off, and not just by EA).

ChampJesusBailey
05-06-2012, 11:10 PM
That revenue was not going to stay low permanently so what point are you trying to make? If anything, there was a large opportunity for a two-game market to be established; there never would have been a genuine loss of the net or whole market -- only a loss of EA's slice of the overall pie. EA is a huge gaming company with many golden cows to be milking. They swung a mighty warchest in the NFL's face and that was that. It's not complicated.

What kind of defense do you think I was running? Why does it matter if I was playing or if the AI was? You are making irrelevant observations when the there is a very simple point being illustrated here about a supposed "football simulation".

Go play the game. Pick a stout passing team (Saints, for example). Call long developing routes. Play the game with your eyes closed and just throw passes downfield all day. I am not kidding. I have seen this gameplay used since at least 2005. So little has changed it's a complete joke and it is because EA invests as little as possible into these games. Have you read of the development cycle? They churn these titles out by abusing the dev team and recycling old models. That's why you get animations from 2001 still in the game a damn decade later. That's why defenders still spin in place and gameplay gimmicks from 2006 still linger unfixed. These are not good games and I scratch my head at people who think they are (gaming "journalists" aside, as they are paid off, and not just by EA).

We'd seen for years what the "2 game market" was: Madden selling a ton, 2k selling a little. I don't think ESPN NFL Football, the game released before NFL 2K5, even topped 1 million lifetime across both consoles (PS2, Xbox). There is no guarantee that 2k doesn't release it for $20 again. Or even $30. Or $40. The NFL wants no part of that. Hence the exclusive deal. What better time to get a deal done than when the two companies making games are in a price gouging war. As you said, it's not complicated.

I have no idea what kind of defense you run to allow a 7 year old kid to almost beat you by "running back and hurling it up". Apparently not a good one though. You make silly hyperbolic statements like that, don't act offended that someone asks questions. Why don't you user a safety and swat the passes down. Play some zone and blitz so that this little kid doesn't have time to drop back and wait for "long developing routes" to actually develop. Or a hundred other solutions for letting a little kid pass all over you. I play in online franchises against skilled players and they don't pass all over me. So help us help you understand why you are getting torched by a glorified toddler.

NUB
05-06-2012, 11:41 PM
Your business acumen is a little lacking. 2K was the superior game to Madden and had been since about '03. People who played both games knew that well, but the fact remained that Madden was the more established game and still puttering along on the coattails of the 2001 entry. Similar stories can be found in the 90s, but that's a different topic. The $20 price was a huge gamble at the time to try to get the Madden legion to try 2K's game because the company was confident in their title. It couldn't have been a standard and I don't know how you think that could ever be the case. 2K is a large company in itself, they would have had no interest in playing small-ball with NFL titles. Stop. Kidding. Yourself. The point was to garner interest in their game, to get people away from Madden "because it's Madden". And they totally succeeded. 2K5 was so far ahead of the 2005 Madden entry that the series is literally still catching up feature-wise. I guarantee you that EA understood that their football market was about to take a major hit unless they were willing to match 2K's investment -- that is, actually put money into their gaming development. Well, if you know anything about EA, you know that's not happening. That's why the licensing agreement came to be.

Look at what happened in the NBA-arena. The EA titles are just as bad as their football peers. What's the difference? EA had to stop making their damn game to fix all its problems because it was getting utterly smoked by the 2k-series. That's what competition will do to you. EA could produce a steaming pile of trash, which they have nearly done on a number of occasions, and still sell millions. An ultra-greedy company that historically had bad dev-relationships and cow-milking protocol is gonna make a good annual football title in a competitive vacuum? Give me a break.

As for my nephew you are still missing the point. Whether it is me he is playing against or the AI, a child was able to pick up the game and successfully compete in a "Realistic Football Simulator" with very simple gameplay. I actually did play the game with my eyes closed and was quite successful myself, something I used to do against friends when we played the game competitively; that is the comical, "Watch this", and then throw a no-look bomb and complete it over "seasoned" Madden players. This crap has been a point of amusement for me for years now; the only thing I can find fun in from the football genre of gaming. Amusement, though, doesn't equate good gameplay. Clearly we're not going to convince each other of our arguments, though, and I'm an old weary git with too much on my plate to be up at night talking about a series I can't find any redeeming quality in.

houghtam
05-06-2012, 11:45 PM
Hav you ever even played Blitz?

It's 7 on 7.

1st downs are 40 yards.

There's a 2-page playbook with no run plays.

There are no penalties for pass interference.

There are no injuries.

Seriously, are you just trolling here? I get that you hate Madden and it's truly adorable, but Madden and Blitz aren't comparable in any way other than they're football related. You've got to be trolling here. I fell for it and took the bait. Kudos.

Okay, you got me. You're absolutely right. Those are the only differences, though.

#hyperbole

Agamemnon
05-06-2012, 11:51 PM

I'm sorry, but are you actually arguing that Madden is good? :saywhat:

RhymesayersDU
05-07-2012, 05:51 AM
Okay, you got me. You're absolutely right. Those are the only differences, though.

#hyperbole

It's not hyperbole, it's stupidity. Madden isn't as bad as you make it out to be. It's just not. Has flaws? Sure. But it's not a terrible game and the idea that it's a similar game to Blitz is just dumb.

TheChamp24
05-07-2012, 05:56 AM
If 2K5 released at lunch $50 like Madden was selling for, and if it released around the time Madden did, its sales would have plummeted. It was a brilliant marketing strategy to get people to buy 2K5, Take 2 just didn't expect the NFL to come calling for exclusive rights.

Both Madden and 2k5 were solid games. EA screwed up with Madden on the next gen taking forever to get things added that should've been there from the start. Its been what, 6 years on Next Gen? Yeah, we should have seen massive advancement IMO, but we haven't.

As for 2k5, I honestly feel people vastly overrate that game. It was good, but my god people treat it like its the Holy Grail. It had its flaws, just like Madden has its.

I also think people expect Madden to be perfect, and it never will be, no sports game will ever be perfect.

ChampJesusBailey
05-07-2012, 05:57 AM
Your business acumen is a little lacking. 2K was the superior game to Madden and had been since about '03. People who played both games knew that well, but the fact remained that Madden was the more established game and still puttering along on the coattails of the 2001 entry. Similar stories can be found in the 90s, but that's a different topic. The $20 price was a huge gamble at the time to try to get the Madden legion to try 2K's game because the company was confident in their title. It couldn't have been a standard and I don't know how you think that could ever be the case. 2K is a large company in itself, they would have had no interest in playing small-ball with NFL titles. Stop. Kidding. Yourself. The point was to garner interest in their game, to get people away from Madden "because it's Madden". And they totally succeeded. 2K5 was so far ahead of the 2005 Madden entry that the series is literally still catching up feature-wise. I guarantee you that EA understood that their football market was about to take a major hit unless they were willing to match 2K's investment -- that is, actually put money into their gaming development. Well, if you know anything about EA, you know that's not happening. That's why the licensing agreement came to be.

You can keep saying I am wrong all you want, won't change what 2k did and what it forced the NFL to do. I understand why 2k priced their game at $20. I also understand they were still creamed in sales by Madden. I also understand that their reasoning is irrelevant to the NFL, all the NFL cares about is money and millions of games sold at a fraction of the normal price is not business for them. And 2k being better than Madden for years is nothing more than your opinion. You're entitled to that opinion but you do understand it's just that, right? An opinion?

Look at what happened in the NBA-arena. The EA titles are just as bad as their football peers. What's the difference? EA had to stop making their damn game to fix all its problems because it was getting utterly smoked by the 2k-series. That's what competition will do to you. EA could produce a steaming pile of trash, which they have nearly done on a number of occasions, and still sell millions. An ultra-greedy company that historically had bad dev-relationships and cow-milking protocol is gonna make a good annual football title in a competitive vacuum? Give me a break.

Uh... LOL @ their NBA games being just as good as their football titles. Also, EA did have to cancel a Madden that was a steaming pile of buggy trash just like they did NBA Elite. You're clearly set in your opinions on Madden in a very stubborn way if you're honestly going to try and tell me the NBA/NFL situations video game wise are even close to the same thing. NBA Live/Elite was an extremely mediocre franchise.

As for my nephew you are still missing the point. Whether it is me he is playing against or the AI, a child was able to pick up the game and successfully compete in a "Realistic Football Simulator" with very simple gameplay. I actually did play the game with my eyes closed and was quite successful myself, something I used to do against friends when we played the game competitively; that is the comical, "Watch this", and then throw a no-look bomb and complete it over "seasoned" Madden players. This crap has been a point of amusement for me for years now; the only thing I can find fun in from the football genre of gaming. Amusement, though, doesn't equate good gameplay. Clearly we're not going to convince each other of our arguments, though, and I'm an old weary git with too much on my plate to be up at night talking about a series I can't find any redeeming quality in.

Let me guess, you were playing on All-Madden too? Sorry but your inability to provide any real specifics and reliance on BS just leads me to believe I was right when I said you're just full of ****. Try to rely less on hyperbole next time. "oh man a 7 year old kid almost beat me with his eyes closed", you're exaggerating or just really really bad at the game. You might get approval from other people like yourself who are dead set against Madden with comments like that but anyone who seriously plays the game knows you're full of it so maybe you should just stop replying.

And Hilarious! @ Madden being compared to Blitz. Madden isn't perfect, has flaws. But Blitz Hilarious!

BroncoBeavis
05-07-2012, 05:57 AM
I remember a really old Super Nintendo version of Madden. Guessing 95 or 96. The bomb was completely unstoppable. We'd have 5min quarters games that would end like 107-101. We thought it was funny at the time but that kind of game has no lasting appeal. I was totally converted from 2k3 to 2k5. Since the EA clusterfark I've pretty much given up VG football.

Man those Plummer roll outs in 2k5 were fun. :)

BroncoBeavis
05-07-2012, 06:07 AM
Not sure how the NFL licensing works but if it were priced per game instead of percentage of gross, they shouldn't have cared what the sticker price was. Seems more like EA was afraid of Sega buying market share and decided to shut it down with wheelbarrows of cash.

TheChamp24
05-07-2012, 06:21 AM
Not sure how the NFL licensing works but if it were priced per game instead of percentage of gross, they shouldn't have cared what the sticker price was. Seems more like EA was afraid of Sega buying market share and decided to shut it down with wheelbarrows of cash.

Or maybe NFL saw the cash cow and wanted more money, and threw an offer on the table to EA.

ChampJesusBailey
05-07-2012, 06:37 AM

The licensing fees were based on a percentage of the revenue generated from sales. You sell 7 million copies of a game at $50 versus 7.5 million at $30-40, that's a hell of a lot less revenue. Even 2k, who went from selling 1 million of ESPN NFL Football to 4 million of 2k5, would barely see a revenue increase since the games sold for 40% of the normal price.

So the NFL sees Madden sell more copies than ever yet they see less money because of less revenue. They also see 2k Sports sell 4 times as many copies but only a small amount of extra revenue because they are selling the game so cheap. Everything I have read on the deal says the NFL Execs had a discussion at one of their meetings and came to 5 companies with the chance at an exclusive license and EA won it. I fail to see how it is different than any of their other exclusive deals. They are all terrible for consumers but great for the NFL and the company who provides the NFL licensed product.

BroncoBeavis
05-07-2012, 07:08 AM
The licensing fees were based on a percentage of the revenue generated from sales. You sell 7 million copies of a game at $50 versus 7.5 million at $30-40, that's a hell of a lot less revenue. Even 2k, who went from selling 1 million of ESPN NFL Football to 4 million of 2k5, would barely see a revenue increase since the games sold for 40% of the normal price.

So the NFL sees Madden sell more copies than ever yet they see less money because of less revenue. They also see 2k Sports sell 4 times as many copies but only a small amount of extra revenue because they are selling the game so cheap. Everything I have read on the deal says the NFL Execs had a discussion at one of their meetings and came to 5 companies with the chance at an exclusive license and EA won it. I fail to see how it is different than any of their other exclusive deals. They are all terrible for consumers but great for the NFL and the company who provides the NFL licensed product.

If it was revenue based I can kinda understand it. Although over the long term, I don't think anyone saw the $20 strategy as permanent. It was just a way to get the game into the hands of the audience, since I think they felt good about the game competing with Madden, once you compensated for the name-brand factor.

In the end, who knows if it paid off or not. It took someone like me who usually owned a new game every year to basically one who doesn't play anymore. Since 2k5 (2004), I've bought 2 NFL licensed game. I bought more than that in 3 years when it was the 2k series. And those 2 games haven't done anything that make me want to play.

spdirty
05-07-2012, 08:51 AM
I'd bet my left nut they don't touch online franchise again.

maher_tyler
05-07-2012, 11:22 AM
ChampjesusBailey is clearly a Madden homer. I'm done with Madden! This year was the final straw for me (Madden 12). I traded that **** in when it still had decent value for Skyrim! When a guy can pick the same 4-5 plays an entire game and my computer guys have no clue as to what is going on, i have a problem with that. The computer AI in Madden and pretty much ALL of EAs sports games is pathetic. I know exactly what play the other guy is going to run because he's run the same play all game long but can't do a damn thing about it cause my computer guys can't figure it out after the 20th time. Why can't they improve computer AI?? How is running the same play over and over again fun?? Also, if you're a team with a crappy overall rating like the Broncos have the past few years, it seems like you're more likely to fumble the ball, throw ints or have penalties called against you. It's worse when you're playing against a guy that uses a team with a high rating like Green Bay or the Pats. I've had a LBer trucked over by a QB. Good luck floating a touch pass between the LBer and Safety. Don't even think about throwing to the WR with the DB that has his back turned towards you..cause he has eyes in the back of his head. The game is trash and i wont be spending another penny on any EA sports game until changes are made.

If you want a qaulity product in a game, go buy anything Blizzard makes!

Archer81
05-07-2012, 11:36 AM
I like the frachise options in Madden 12. Some of the mechanics of the game itself...(How can a LB like say, Brandon Spikes cover a WR one on one?)...leave alot to be desired.

I dont mind EA. I think they do make some good games. If you dont like their Madden series, don't buy it, IMO.

spdirty
05-09-2012, 06:48 AM
Oh man, all is forgiven as this will be the best madden ever. They're bringing in Trey Wingo!

Madden NFL 13 Will Feature Studio Setting in Some Capacity

http://0.gravatar.com/avatar/ae45aa7c2c206bb65b7359efb3d0020a?s=40&d=http%3A%2F%2F0.gravatar.com%2Favatar%2Fad516503a 11cd5ca435acc9bb6523536%3Fs%3D40&r=PG by pastapadre (http://www.pastapadre.com/author/admin)
Posted May 8th, 2012 at 12:15 pm
http://www.pastapadre.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/madden13studioset.jpg
Just yesterday one of the improvements for Dynasty mode in NCAA Football 13 was revealed to be studio updates (http://www.pastapadre.com/2012/05/07/ncaa-football-13-dynasty-improvements) featuring Rece Davis. It now appears that Madden NFL 13 will have it’s own studio look-ins but with Trey Wingo anchoring the desk. Wingo tweeted that he was working with EA Sports on the upcoming title and has posted a picture of the green screen set.

It’s likely that news on Wingo’s inclusion and purpose will be explained along with the rollout of details on “Connected Careers” come June 4 – that appears to encompass everything related to Franchise and Superstar modes.

http://www.pastapadre.com/2012/05/08/madden-nfl-13-will-feature-studio-setting-in-some-capacity

Also....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2UxHkPmUfZY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

and...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2F2ELbEqKiw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BroncoBeavis
05-09-2012, 07:23 AM
I like the frachise options in Madden 12. Some of the mechanics of the game itself...(How can a LB like say, Brandon Spikes cover a WR one on one?)...leave alot to be desired.

I dont mind EA. I think they do make some good games. If you dont like their Madden series, don't buy it, IMO.

The exclusive license makes that solution a little more untenable. :)

But mostly that's still the solution I've followed. At the end of the day I'd give up franchise mode altogether for a game that makes more sense on the field.

maher_tyler
05-09-2012, 07:25 AM
Oh man, all is forgiven as this will be the best madden ever. They're bringing in Trey Wingo!

Madden NFL 13 Will Feature Studio Setting in Some Capacity

http://0.gravatar.com/avatar/ae45aa7c2c206bb65b7359efb3d0020a?s=40&d=http%3A%2F%2F0.gravatar.com%2Favatar%2Fad516503a 11cd5ca435acc9bb6523536%3Fs%3D40&r=PG by pastapadre (http://www.pastapadre.com/author/admin)
Posted May 8th, 2012 at 12:15 pm
http://www.pastapadre.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/madden13studioset.jpg
Just yesterday one of the improvements for Dynasty mode in NCAA Football 13 was revealed to be studio updates (http://www.pastapadre.com/2012/05/07/ncaa-football-13-dynasty-improvements) featuring Rece Davis. It now appears that Madden NFL 13 will have it’s own studio look-ins but with Trey Wingo anchoring the desk. Wingo tweeted that he was working with EA Sports on the upcoming title and has posted a picture of the green screen set.

It’s likely that news on Wingo’s inclusion and purpose will be explained along with the rollout of details on “Connected Careers” come June 4 – that appears to encompass everything related to Franchise and Superstar modes.

http://www.pastapadre.com/2012/05/08/madden-nfl-13-will-feature-studio-setting-in-some-capacity

Also....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2UxHkPmUfZY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

and...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2F2ELbEqKiw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Still not gonna buy it...they can add all the little BS i don't give a **** about..its the game play i care about!

ChampJesusBailey
05-09-2012, 07:42 AM
I'd bet my left nut they don't touch online franchise again.

Probably not with all of the rollover that happened this season. I am betting that's a Madden 14 dream. They have said a very small amount of people actually use that mode though so it makes sense to be far down the totem pole. And since it's EA, whenever they finally improve it I bet they also monetize it.

Willynowei
05-09-2012, 08:00 AM
2k5 had an awesome online franchise with a website for each team you created so you didn't even have to go into the game to look at stats, make trades or manage the team.

Of course no one is going to use the madden feature if you execute it poorly, that's the difference between a good development house and a bad one. The good one keeps working toward their vision until it works, the bad one finds excuses to quit on features such as online franchise.

EA sports man, i think the only good game they've ever released is SKATE, and I don't even think that's under the sports brand, I think all those titles are under a different division entirely.

So scratch that, EA Sports hasn't done anything good for the past 10 years. They should be put out to pasture.

ChampJesusBailey
05-09-2012, 09:01 AM
2k5 had an awesome online franchise with a website for each team you created so you didn't even have to go into the game to look at stats, make trades or manage the team.

2k5 didn't even have online franchises they had online leagues. Broken ones with no real NFL schedule, divisions, or playoffs. But it was their first (and only) try, and they deserve credit for making the online leagues possible on consoles instead of only the PC where Madden had awesome online franchises for years.

And Madden has had a website for their online franchises where you can trade, cut, manage depth charts, use the message board, view highlights, and draft, ever since the feature launched with Madden 10. Peoples issues with the online franchises were the unrealistic playoff tiebreakers and inability for the commish to do things like throw out game results, put owners on "vacation mode" so opponents could play the CPU, other things. Features that have been in NCAA's online dynasties for years, which makes the Madden issues all the more frustrating. But also makes the changing of the guard on the Madden team all the more exciting.

spdirty
05-09-2012, 09:16 AM
Probably not with all of the rollover that happened this season. I am betting that's a Madden 14 dream. They have said a very small amount of people actually use that mode though so it makes sense to be far down the totem pole. And since it's EA, whenever they finally improve it I bet they also monetize it.

Yeah, people (including me) haven't played it since its first year because it sucked. And EA uses the fact that people don't play it as an excuse not to make improvements to it. So round and round and round we go. But boy they sure do have the time to develop their ultimate team bull**** cash grab, don't they.

Doggcow
05-09-2012, 10:45 AM
Yeah, people (including me) haven't played it since its first year because it sucked. And EA uses the fact that people don't play it as an excuse not to make improvements to it. So round and round and round we go. But boy they sure do have the time to develop their ultimate team bull**** cash grab, don't they.

Do people actually pay for that? I played it for like 5 minutes and went back to regular quick matches. Could care less about renewing my player contract cards for every game...

Bronco Yoda
05-09-2012, 05:12 PM
EA is the Devil. me thinks I've said that before now haven't I.

EA killed off all the competition a decade ago with their financial war chest. They bought up studios and even fellow publishers just to kill competitive licenses. Then double downed with locking up exclusive rights for good measure.

There was dirty pool and lots of carnage industry wide. I witnessed it first hand.

With competing sports titles with 18-24 month development cycles (for titles that were not just repackaged for the next year). There u use to be built in incentives to innovate and to push each other. You'd see publishers making damn sure the development teams were top notch each year.

Now... Franchises like Madden are on auto pilot. Have been for a very long time.

...And I don't see anything changing in the near future.

It is what it is. EA won... Gamers lost.

spdirty
05-09-2012, 07:50 PM
Well the hype machine is in full effect. Some tweets from people that went to their community day.

Look at these tweets and I will add to this list throughout the day as they come in.

Casey Mosier ‏ @Casey_DLG
Madden NFL 12 is going in the trash when I get home OMG!

Dave Searles ‏ @RedZoneD25
It's official, I can never play Madden NFL 12 again.

Jeff Setzer ‏ @RynoAid
If they dropped hiroshima last time I was here... They just dropped nagasaki #Madden13

tony furstnau ‏ @strongarm_playa
Listening & watching Vic Lugo presentation.. WOW! Madden 13! What we are seeing is unreal.. @Shopmaster @markusfrieske @RynoAid @MR21215

I know we cannot talk about what we are seeing (NDA'S) but come June 4th we will be able to talk about the gameplay. #Madden13CD

Markus Frieske ‏ @markusfrieske
@Josh_Looman and Vic Lugo just presented on the #madden13 team's tremendous work. June 4th, mark it on your calendar GOTY #madden13

Players Of America ‏ @PlayersAmerica
Madden 13 will make all other Maddens look ancient. The future is now & Madden 13 delivers the future! GOTY! @MR21215 @Shopmaster @RynoAid

Marc Rollins ‏ @MR21215
Followers mark your calenders JUNE 4TH 2012 ITS GOING DOWN!!!!!!!!

Archer81
05-09-2012, 08:30 PM
Madden will never win game of the year. Not while I'm alive.

Agamemnon
05-09-2012, 08:49 PM
Well the hype machine is in full effect. Some tweets from people that went to their community day.

Look at these tweets and I will add to this list throughout the day as they come in.

Jeff Setzer ‏ @RynoAid
If they dropped hiroshima last time I was here... They just dropped nagasaki #Madden13

Listening & watching Vic Lugo presentation.. WOW! Madden 13! What we are seeing is unreal.. @Shopmaster @markusfrieske @RynoAid @MR21215

I know we cannot talk about what we are seeing (NDA'S) but come June 4th we will be able to talk about the gameplay. #Madden13CD

@Josh_Looman and Vic Lugo just presented on the #madden13 team's tremendous work. June 4th, mark it on your calendar GOTY #madden13

Madden 13 will make all other Maddens look ancient. The future is now & Madden 13 delivers the future! GOTY! @MR21215 @Shopmaster @RynoAid

Marc Rollins ‏ @MR21215

Hilarious!

Requiem
05-09-2012, 08:59 PM
I'll definitely play Madden to see what is about, but I will never pay for it ever. Bring it on. Let me trade 32 years into the futre.

spdirty
05-09-2012, 09:06 PM
Hilarious!

yeah. Unless they do real time physics and make online franchise like offline franchise, I'll try real hard not to buy it.

Hope it isn't some stupid gimmick that there wasn't a demand for like communities or ultimate team.

TheChamp24
05-10-2012, 06:00 AM

Jeff Setzer ‏ @RynoAid

Marc Rollins ‏ @MR21215

Its funny how blindly supportive they are, when in honesty they are probably in the same boat as most, that EA hasn't done much to the game in awhile. But why risk the loss of future exclusive stuff like this? So they feed that its the best game ever. This happens EVERY SINGLE YEAR.

maher_tyler
05-10-2012, 06:19 AM

Of course no one is going to use the madden feature if you execute it poorly, that's the difference between a good development house and a bad one. The good one keeps working toward their vision until it works, the bad one finds excuses to quit on features such as online franchise.

EA sports man, i think the only good game they've ever released is SKATE, and I don't even think that's under the sports brand, I think all those titles are under a different division entirely.

So scratch that, EA Sports hasn't done anything good for the past 10 years. They should be put out to pasture.

EA did good on the Need for Speed Underground games and NFS Carbon...

maher_tyler
05-10-2012, 06:20 AM
Its funny how blindly supportive they are, when in honesty they are probably in the same boat as most, that EA hasn't done much to the game in awhile. But why risk the loss of future exclusive stuff like this? So they feed that its the best game ever. This happens EVERY SINGLE YEAR.

i might rent it just to see but...i'll stick with Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2!

spdirty
05-10-2012, 09:49 AM

Oh not really. They say that EA encourages them to be honest to avoid what you just said. Last year there weren't tweets out there like this. The only reason I'm even giving their hype the time of day is because its a new development team.

They have to know how cynical their consumers have become I'd think.

Bronco Rob
05-10-2012, 09:59 AM

This.

Willynowei
05-10-2012, 10:53 AM
EA did good on the Need for Speed Underground games and NFS Carbon...

I don't believe those titles are under the EA Sports brand.