PDA

View Full Version : OT: Best Wireless Printers (Airport/Mac and PC Compatible)

Requiem
05-05-2012, 02:46 PM
Hey ya'll,

Any suggestions for a good wireless printer I could put up through the home network that will work for my MacAir and my mom's Compaq Presario?

Sold my old non-wireless HP before I left Colorado and wanted to get something that can be a little bit more advanced and handy -- probably will also want to get something that a tablet (iPad possibly) could go through as well.

Also, how about advice on external monitors? I like the power of my MacAir -- just would like to have a bigger screen to work on when doing other things. ViewSonic any good these days? 22" is big enough for me.

Thank you and take care.

huh??
05-05-2012, 03:20 PM
I have a Canon that works fine with my Mac Mini through an AirPort Extreme. My wife has a Gateway laptop that I couldn't get to work. The instructions didn't seem to match the menus that popped up on the screen.

I don't know it your MacBook Air is new enough to have the Thunderbolt port, but you may want to try Apple's monitor. Kinda spendy though.

Requiem
05-05-2012, 04:06 PM
The Air has the display port that is compatible with Thunderbolt and their screens. However, I can get a good enough external monitor for less than 200 dollars and it suit my needs. I just need the adapter ~ 30 - 40 bucks or so to do it -- which goes into that port.

Dutch
05-05-2012, 05:50 PM
Hey ya'll,

Any suggestions for a good wireless printer I could put up through the home network that will work for my MacAir and my mom's Compaq Presario?

Sold my old non-wireless HP before I left Colorado and wanted to get something that can be a little bit more advanced and handy -- probably will also want to get something that a tablet (iPad possibly) could go through as well.

Also, how about advice on external monitors? I like the power of my MacAir -- just would like to have a bigger screen to work on when doing other things. ViewSonic any good these days? 22" is big enough for me.

Thank you and take care.

Details, Bro'. You looking to just do BW, or do you want color? All in one (scanner, copier, fax, printer), photos, or just basic good old output? Duplex (dual sided) or not? I just ordered a Samsung ML-2955/DW wireless laser printer (monochromatic) for around $100 delivered from Amazon. I went laser for the increase in print quality. I'm sick of inkjets that if they are not used for extended periods, the print quality suffers when you do need them. At the end of the day, laser print cartridges are expensive up front....but last longer and give you better quality throughout their life cycle. It works great, also able to print from any wireless device in the house (including iPad-via "Samsung Mobile Print" app, and Galaxy Note smartphones). Check out the review:

http://www.printercomparison.com/default.asp?newsID=1244&review=samsung+ml2955dw

huh??
05-05-2012, 06:00 PM
The Air has the display port that is compatible with Thunderbolt and their screens. However, I can get a good enough external monitor for less than 200 dollars and it suit my needs. I just need the adapter ~ 30 - 40 bucks or so to do it -- which goes into that port.

Then I'd say that any of the common brand monitors should be fine. (ViewSonic, Samsung, NEC, Dell) I've had a Samsung that I got at Costco 2-3 years ago that has been without issue. Maybe look for a place that has a great return/exchange policy.