PDA

View Full Version : Hillman should help spare aging McGahee

Bronco Rob
05-04-2012, 03:55 AM
Hillman should help spare aging McGahee

The Sports Xchange Friday May 04, 2012 - 2:49 AM

--The Broncos drafted San Diego State running back Ronnie Hillman to ease the burden on 30-year-old Willis McGahee, who wore down with nagging knee and hamstring injuries late last season.

"It didn't get right until the season was over with when I actually got some rest because I didn't get the rest that I needed," McGahee admitted on May 2.

But he figures that the presence of Peyton Manning and the change in offensive focus will do more to make his life easier.

"I look at it as just putting more years on my ability in the NFL," McGahee said. "I don't have to take all that pounding anymore, because with Peyton out there, just being him, he's going to take a lot of pressure off the run game.

Even with Hillman in the mix, McGahee still projects as the first-teamer. The 5-foot-9, 200-pound Hillman is more of a scatback, and while he can likely take a few carries off Mcgahee's plate, the between-the-tackles load seems likely to fall on the 10-year veteran's shoulders.

-- The Broncos began their third week of offseason conditioning sessions after the draft. This placed them in "Phase 2" of the offseason schedule, when coaches can be on the field with players, although the offense and defense must work separately.

The coaches' presence kicked up the urgency of the voluntuary sessions.

"It's no time to be playing around when they're not out there, but when they are out there, they're really watching and critiquing to see how you're doing and going about handling things," McGahee said. "That puts a little more pressure on the players."

Added wide receiver Brandon Stokley: "It almost felt like a practice."

-- McGahee's best game last year came in Week 8 at Oakland, when the Broncos made heavy use of the zone-read option after Tim Tebow was sacked seven times by the Detroit Lions a week earlier.

In that 38-24 win over Oakland, 125 of McGahee's 163 yards came on variations of the option, including his 60-yard touchdown run at the end of the third quarter.

"I'd never worked with the read option in my life," McGahee recalled.

"It's like running on blind faith, you know what I mean? Either you're going to get the big run or you're going to get hit. I'm not a fan of getting hit, but it was my job description and that's what I had to do."

-- Before beginning the second phase of offseason workouts this week, Manning and wide receiver Eric Decker attended the Colorado Rockies' game against the New York Mets on April 29, watching as Manning's former college teammate, Rockies first baseman Todd Helton, hit a game-tying grand slam.

This wasn't the first time Manning and Decker hung out away from team headquarters since Manning signed his contract in March.

"It's big in building that trust not only on the field but off the field and to know that, 'OK, I can trust this guy. We're good friends; he's going to do everything he can for me on the field,'" Decker said.

Teammates have noticed their friendship.

"I can see the bond they're getting because they're always laughing, joking around and I get kind of jealous sometimes in the weight room," McGahee said with a chuckle. "But they're a (quarterback) and receiver, so they have to mesh a little bit more than the backs do."

QUOTE TO NOTE

"It's different, because we didn't really have that last year where the quarterback was demanding of us, telling us where he wanted us and just taking charge. It's a different aspect." -- Running back Willis McGahee, on what has changed with Peyton Manning now leading the Broncos.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/18957770/hillman-should-help-spare-aging-mcgahee

CEH
05-04-2012, 04:15 AM
Hillman should help spare aging McGahee

The Sports Xchange Friday May 04, 2012 - 2:49 AM

--The Broncos drafted San Diego State running back Ronnie Hillman to ease the burden on 30-year-old Willis McGahee, who wore down with nagging knee and hamstring injuries late last season.

"It didn't get right until the season was over with when I actually got some rest because I didn't get the rest that I needed," McGahee admitted on May 2.

But he figures that the presence of Peyton Manning and the change in offensive focus will do more to make his life easier.

"I look at it as just putting more years on my ability in the NFL," McGahee said. "I don't have to take all that pounding anymore, because with Peyton out there, just being him, he's going to take a lot of pressure off the run game.

Even with Hillman in the mix, McGahee still projects as the first-teamer. The 5-foot-9, 200-pound Hillman is more of a scatback, and while he can likely take a few carries off Mcgahee's plate, the between-the-tackles load seems likely to fall on the 10-year veteran's shoulders.

-- The Broncos began their third week of offseason conditioning sessions after the draft. This placed them in "Phase 2" of the offseason schedule, when coaches can be on the field with players, although the offense and defense must work separately.

The coaches' presence kicked up the urgency of the voluntuary sessions.

"It's no time to be playing around when they're not out there, but when they are out there, they're really watching and critiquing to see how you're doing and going about handling things," McGahee said. "That puts a little more pressure on the players."

Added wide receiver Brandon Stokley: "It almost felt like a practice."

-- McGahee's best game last year came in Week 8 at Oakland, when the Broncos made heavy use of the zone-read option after Tim Tebow was sacked seven times by the Detroit Lions a week earlier.

In that 38-24 win over Oakland, 125 of McGahee's 163 yards came on variations of the option, including his 60-yard touchdown run at the end of the third quarter.

"It's like running on blind faith, you know what I mean? Either you're going to get the big run or you're going to get hit. I'm not a fan of getting hit, but it was my job description and that's what I had to do."

-- Before beginning the second phase of offseason workouts this week, Manning and wide receiver Eric Decker attended the Colorado Rockies' game against the New York Mets on April 29, watching as Manning's former college teammate, Rockies first baseman Todd Helton, hit a game-tying grand slam.

This wasn't the first time Manning and Decker hung out away from team headquarters since Manning signed his contract in March.

"It's big in building that trust not only on the field but off the field and to know that, 'OK, I can trust this guy. We're good friends; he's going to do everything he can for me on the field,'" Decker said.

Teammates have noticed their friendship.

"I can see the bond they're getting because they're always laughing, joking around and I get kind of jealous sometimes in the weight room," McGahee said with a chuckle. "But they're a (quarterback) and receiver, so they have to mesh a little bit more than the backs do."

QUOTE TO NOTE

"It's different, because we didn't really have that last year where the quarterback was demanding of us, telling us where he wanted us and just taking charge. It's a different aspect." -- Running back Willis McGahee, on what has changed with Peyton Manning now leading the Broncos.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/18957770/hillman-should-help-spare-aging-mcgahee

What a great quote. Drives home he did his job but didn't like it.

barryr
05-04-2012, 05:31 AM
So McGahee, playing RB, wasn't happy of getting hit? Again, playing RB, not like getting hit? Then he should have a new position to play if surprised the RB spot calls for getting hit. Like, duh. McGahee is obviously no genius.

BroncoInferno
05-04-2012, 05:38 AM
Honestly, if we are going to be running a lot of no-huddle, MacGahee really isn't a great fit for that. He's never been much of a receiver. I think MacGahee will be more the short-yardage/goaline guy that was intended when he was signed, and Moreno and Hillman will get more action since they are better in the passing game.

g6matty
05-04-2012, 06:13 AM
So McGahee, playing RB, wasn't happy of getting hit? Again, playing RB, not like getting hit? Then he should have a new position to play if surprised the RB spot calls for getting hit. Like, duh. McGahee is obviously no genius.

i think he would rather deliver the hits

TonyR
05-04-2012, 06:19 AM
Honestly, if we are going to be running a lot of no-huddle, MacGahee really isn't a great fit for that. He's never been much of a receiver. I think MacGahee will be more the short-yardage/goaline guy that was intended when he was signed, and Moreno and Hillman will get more action since they are better in the passing game.

^ Yup, I just mentioned in another thread that Hillman could very well be the primary back.

OrangeCrush2724
05-04-2012, 06:37 AM

A RB in a read option is more vulnerable then in traditional schemes. He always has to have his hands ready waiting for an ill advised decision from the QB, leaving himself to be an open target.

errand
05-04-2012, 06:42 AM

Is that What you got out of his quote? I guess that is what YOU would get out of it.

It sounded like to me that he knew it was in his job description but he didn't like getting hit as often as he did because of the rudimentary offense we had to run.... and we all know why we had to run that kind of offense.. it is also why we had to sign peyton manning

The coaches can make him eat his spinach but he doesn't have to like it. I think it says more that he's pointing out we actually have a real veteran leader quarterbacking our team.... and it's not a rah-rah type of guy. It is the kind of leader that demands perfection and holds people accountable.... not to mention we will be running a real nfl offense

TheReverend
05-04-2012, 06:43 AM
McGahee's gonna miss his role in last year by the time this one is over, imo

errand
05-04-2012, 06:48 AM
A RB in a read option is more vulnerable then in traditional schemes. He always has to have his hands ready waiting for an ill advised decision from the QB, leaving himself to be an open target.

Exactly... The option while it can lead to big plays... it also leavesplayers vulnerable and subject to big hits.... whether they have the ball or not. Running that offense probably took a year off of willis' nfl life....

errand
05-04-2012, 06:50 AM

In my opinion I think he will embrace a reduction in carries for a possible superbowl titles..

Drunk Monkey
05-04-2012, 06:57 AM

I was thinking the same thing. It had been a while since he was the primary option.

BroncoBeavis
05-04-2012, 07:24 AM

They really weren't running the read option all that often. Especially after the first game or two.

DBroncos4life
05-04-2012, 08:42 AM
I was thinking the same thing. It had been a while since he was the primary option.

I don't think he signed believing he was going to be the primary RB.

barryr
05-04-2012, 08:50 AM
Is that What you got out of his quote? I guess that is what YOU would get out of it.

It sounded like to me that he knew it was in his job description but he didn't like getting hit as often as he did because of the rudimentary offense we had to run.... and we all know why we had to run that kind of offense.. it is also why we had to sign peyton manning

The coaches can make him eat his spinach but he doesn't have to like it. I think it says more that he's pointing out we actually have a real veteran leader quarterbacking our team.... and it's not a rah-rah type of guy. It is the kind of leader that demands perfection and holds people accountable.... not to mention we will be running a real nfl offense

Wow, another type response by you. Surprising. So let's find all those huge hits that McGahee took from option pitches. There must be so many. For someone so happy that Tebow left you still bitch as much as ever.

Pick Six
05-04-2012, 10:22 AM

That's exactly right. Manning is going to be the primary weapon. RBs won't get many touches...

BroncoBeavis
05-04-2012, 10:24 AM
That's exactly right. Manning is going to be the primary weapon. RBs won't get many touches...

The guy who's on the field the most will be the best combination receiver/blocker on the roster. I don't think that's Willis.

broncosteven
05-04-2012, 10:28 AM
I know Tebow was a 2nd year guy sent in mid-season but I love this quote:\

Drunk Monkey
05-04-2012, 11:05 AM
I don't think he signed believing he was going to be the primary RB.

True but non the less he was the primary back in a run first offense last year. What ever he will be this year it will be less, Its not always easy going backwards.

Shananahan
05-04-2012, 11:20 AM
I know Tebow was a 2nd year guy sent in mid-season but I love this quote:\

As soon as I read that I figured this thread would just spiral out of control.

If Tebow makes it to Manning's age in the NFL with some moderate success, I'm sure he'll be the one taking charge of the huddle as well.

alkemical
05-04-2012, 11:31 AM

If Tebow makes it to Manning's age in the NFL with some moderate success, I'm sure he'll be the one taking charge of the huddle as well.

Come on man, you have to give the middle class slackers who spend their time & $ on something to talk about! ;)

Dedhed
05-04-2012, 11:48 AM

They'll get plenty of touches from LBs while in pass protection.

TheReverend
05-04-2012, 12:26 PM
They'll get plenty of touches from LBs while in pass protection.

That article will be funny next year. Can really just reuse the same quote:

"I'm not a fan of getting hit, but it was my job description and that's what I had to do."

BroncoBeavis
05-04-2012, 12:30 PM

See, now you sound like me. I knew you'd come through if I just kept quiet. :)

Drek
05-04-2012, 01:14 PM

I think you can pretty easily suss out what McGahee really meant there.

What he was really saying was "I don't like getting hit if I'm not getting the stats".

Dude is a mercenary looking to prolong his career and maximize earnings. Numbers are needed to do that. He's already asked the team for a raise on a contract he signed just last season.

mhgaffney
05-04-2012, 01:20 PM

Yes. It will be interesting to watch.

Lestat
05-04-2012, 01:49 PM
anyone complaining about McGahee's hit comment apparently never saw Marshall Faulk play or knew his rep. he hated being hit as a RB, if you put a little extra in the hit he'd pop right back up and get in your face. he was notorious for this with the Rams.

outside of OL and FB, no player really likes getting hit. even more so if you're a RB on your potential last leg running a offense you've never run before and aren't convinced about.

you can read between the lines of the player's comments about the QB position and the offense. they were hoping for a more pro style system moving forward.

Drek
05-04-2012, 02:15 PM
anyone complaining about McGahee's hit comment apparently never saw Marshall Faulk play or knew his rep. he hated being hit as a RB, if you put a little extra in the hit he'd pop right back up and get in your face. he was notorious for this with the Rams.

outside of OL and FB, no player really likes getting hit. even more so if you're a RB on your potential last leg running a offense you've never run before and aren't convinced about.

you can read between the lines of the player's comments about the QB position and the offense. they were hoping for a more pro style system moving forward.
Marshall Faulk was a 200 pound RB who did most of his best work outside the tackles and catching passes on the edges.

Willis McGahee is a 235 pound back who no longer has game breaking speed and does almost all his work between the tackles.

Regardless, of course he'd prefer to not get hit. But what was so different about the read option versus the hits he's had to take his whole career? In the read option he doesn't always get the ball.

DBroncos4life
05-04-2012, 02:36 PM
Marshall Faulk was a 200 pound RB who did most of his best work outside the tackles and catching passes on the edges.

Willis McGahee is a 235 pound back who no longer has game breaking speed and does almost all his work between the tackles.

Regardless, of course he'd prefer to not get hit. But what was so different about the read option versus the hits he's had to take his whole career? In the read option he doesn't always get the ball.

Whats different about it? He's getting jacked on fakes too.

Mogulseeker
05-04-2012, 02:48 PM

Not only that, but Moreno is going to be more valuable cause of his blokckin and pass catching.

I think that Hillman and Moreno will be more valuable than McGahee next year.

Agamemnon
05-04-2012, 03:31 PM
I think you can pretty easily suss out what McGahee really meant there.

What he was really saying was "I don't like getting hit if I'm not getting the stats".

Dude is a mercenary looking to prolong his career and maximize earnings. Numbers are needed to do that. He's already asked the team for a raise on a contract he signed just last season.

He's delusional if he thinks his stats are going to come anywhere close to what they were with Tebow on the field. Of all the players on the team, McGahee should be the saddest about Tebow leaving.

Lestat
05-04-2012, 04:16 PM

the RB gets hits on almost every read option play as if he was the runner. with a play fake or running between the tackles you get hit but you run the option 30 times a game the RB gets hit 30 times and maybe carries it 15, then you add in his additional carries from the normal offense and it adds up to 40-50 hits a game where you only carry it 25-30.

chickennob2
05-04-2012, 04:21 PM
But what was so different about the read option versus the hits he's had to take his whole career? In the read option he doesn't always get the ball.

If the QB makes the wrong read, he's often going to be getting hit by an unblocked DE who is on top of him a step after the exchange. While on most running plays, there's a much higher chance it's going to be a hit by a linebacker or defensive back, someone who he's going to see, and someone whose hit he's going to be prepared for and able to either make a move or deliver contact himself. One of those hurts a lot more.

razorwire77
05-04-2012, 04:48 PM

What a great quote. Drives home he did his job but didn't like it.

McGahee has been one of the most pleasant acquisitions the Broncos have had in a long time. I look forward to watching him run the ball against 6 and 7 DB's on 3rd and 3 this year.

I watched a bunch of MWC football last year. In addition, Hillman is going surprise some people with his physicality this year. He's not Earl Campbell, but he is a definitive runner and isn't afraid to finish with authority. He's a lot more prime Clinton Portis than Glyn Milburn in terms of running style. :strong:

Bacchus
05-04-2012, 04:56 PM

You have no idea what you are talking about. McGahee was saying that in the read option he gets hit every play whether he has the ball or not. What he can't say he doesn't lie a certain offense without you going all Tebow on him?

Bacchus
05-04-2012, 04:57 PM
They really weren't running the read option all that often. Especially after the first game or two.

HUh..... every single game.

They started running after the first two games. It was their primary offense. Did you watch any games last year?

Bacchus
05-04-2012, 05:01 PM
He's delusional if he thinks his stats are going to come anywhere close to what they were with Tebow on the field. Of all the players on the team, McGahee should be the saddest about Tebow leaving.

Maybe he wants a SB ring instead of a lot of yards.

Maybe he does not want to be broken down at the end of the year like he was last year because of all the hits he took.

errand
05-04-2012, 06:38 PM
Wow, another type response by you. Surprising. So let's find all those huge hits that McGahee took from option pitches. There must be so many. For someone so happy that Tebow left you still b**** as much as ever.

And once again you talk bad about another bronco player to defend the jets backup quarterback....

By the way, if you would have read the article you would have noticed I did not say mcgahee took all kinds of hits... he said he took all kinds of hits. I was not the one that was interviewed

But because you've viewed his comments as a backward sla at your boy you took exception to it....like always.

barryr
05-04-2012, 07:46 PM
You have no idea what you are talking about. McGahee was saying that in the read option he gets hit every play whether he has the ball or not. What he can't say he doesn't lie a certain offense without you going all Tebow on him?

Neither do you or McGahee considering a RB on any fake hand off will get hit more often than not, not just in a read option. Again, this is news that a RB gets hit whether having the ball of a fake handoff? The only time a RB wouldn't get hit often is on a fake pitch where the RB is selling a sweep.

Lestat
05-04-2012, 08:00 PM
Neither do you or McGahee considering a RB on any fake hand off will get hit more often than not, not just in a read option. Again, this is news that a RB gets hit whether having the ball of a fake handoff? The only time a RB wouldn't get hit often is on a fake pitch where the RB is selling a sweep.

you don't take the same type of hit on a fake hand off in a normal set that you do from a fake hand off on the read option. it increasing the number of hits and the violence of said hits. most of the time on a fake the defender realizes later and backs off, or makes a solid hit. on the read once the defender commits he delivers a kill shot hit to stop you in your tracks.

you go from getting hit as a RB when you carry the ball at say 25-30 times a game to 40+ and you're not gonna keep a RB healthy like that. nor a QB in the NFL either.

Dedhed
05-04-2012, 08:03 PM
And once again you talk bad about another bronco player

What's funny is that you talked bad about that Bronco player the entire time he was a Bronco. Even while winning in the playoffs, now you act as though it's the deadliest of sins.

barryr
05-04-2012, 08:06 PM
you don't take the same type of hit on a fake hand off in a normal set that you do from a fake hand off on the read option. it increasing the number of hits and the violence of said hits. most of the time on a fake the defender realizes later and backs off, or makes a solid hit. on the read once the defender commits he delivers a kill shot hit to stop you in your tracks.

you go from getting hit as a RB when you carry the ball at say 25-30 times a game to 40+ and you're not gonna keep a RB healthy like that. nor a QB in the NFL either.

If the RB really sells the fake, he will get hit. If the o-line does not block well, then a defender is right there to hit the RB on a read play. So other factors come into play regardless of the type of running play. There is a reason RB's tend to have short shelf lives. They tend to take the most hits of the skill positions at least and that has nothing to do with having Tebow as their QB.