PDA

View Full Version : Which OL combination sounds best to you?

montrose
05-03-2012, 08:10 PM
Was talking to BroncoMan13 last night and I got to thinking about my greatest concern for the team this season, the OL. I have visions of the group playing the first five games last season with a pocket passer in a pro-style offense...

I saw a group that struggled to protect the passer (especially at times off the RT edge), gave up too much push and penetration up the middle and couldn't run the ball consistently.

The insertion of a mobile QB and adjustment to the Zone-Read helped to mask many of these concerns. However the move back to a pro-style offense in 2012 that is likely to feature a much heavier pass-to-run ratio in a no-huddle scheme has me very concerned. These concerns are compounded by the thought the new TEs are largely known as pass recievers and the only RB on the roster I understand is an accomplished pass protecter is coming off an ACL injury and may not even make the roster...

With that, we began throwing around a few OL combinations for discussion sake and wanted to get the forum's thoughts...

Last Year's Group: Clady, Beadles, Walton, Kuper, Franklin
The most likely choice, they started every game together last year until the Divisional Round game. The obvious concerns are outlined above, in addition to the possible challenges Walton might face with adjustments to the offensive philosophy. Franklin on an island pass-blocking at RT scares the crap out of me.

The OTs of the Future - in 2008: Clady, Franklin, Walton, Kuper, Harris
Before both men suffered career-altering injuries, there was an argument Clady and Harris formed one of the top OT combinations in the league doing an outstanding job protecting Jay Cutler. Harris was an incredible pass-blocker before the injuries began piling up in addition to Josh McDaniels' desire to go to a larger front on the OL. After having surgery last year and sitting out the season, there's the possiblity he's healthy which would allow Franklin to move inside to Guard where many felt he was a better fit coming out of school. This also allows for Beadles to move to a reserve role as some believe he is the weak link of the OL. Concerns would obviously be Harris' health, losing chemistry by moving Franklin inside to a new position and Walton is still in at Center.

The Baylor Boys: Clady, Blake, Walton, Kuper, Franklin
With only one position changing, hopefully chemistry isn't a massive issue and Blake will be sandwiched between two veterans without needing to make center calls. With this unit, we make the assumption Blake is an instant upgrade over Beadles as the unit still has Walton Centering it and Franklin forced to protect Manning on the edge.

The Big OL: Clady, Beadles, Blake, Kuper, Franklin
With Blake replacing his fellow Baylor alum, the team has its largest possible OL to hold up against huge defensive fronts. There's also only one player changing instead of multiple spots moving around. While some believe Beadles is the line's weak link, others would argue it's Walton - who would be removed in this case. The concerns would be a rookie Center making the line calls in the new offense, Beadles is still in at LG and Franklin again must block on an island at RT.

The Talent Group: Clady, Franklin, Blake, Kuper, Harris
Arguably the five most talented OL on the roster - the major concerns are the rookie Center and three of the positions featuring different players from last year. On the bright side, if Harris is healthy - it would have the potential to be a strong unit for a few years with every player at his natural position.

broncogary
05-03-2012, 08:16 PM
At least we have a lot more options on the line this year. I think Blake really gives us a solid interior and depending on Harrris' health we look pretty solid on the outside too.

Beadles can possibly be a starter inside or provide depth on the outside.

broncogary
05-03-2012, 08:18 PM
Oh and a lot depends on how Kaylore's boyfriend recovers. Hilarious!

TheReverend
05-03-2012, 08:18 PM
My personal favorite is the "OTs of the future" setup.

That is, of course, under the unrealistic scenario that Harris can make it to TC without being breathed on and hitting the IR

DBroncos4life
05-03-2012, 08:20 PM
Clady, Blake, Walton, Kuper, and Franklin is what I project.

Lycan
05-03-2012, 08:25 PM
If it's what sounds best to me, Walton and Beadles off the field sounds pretty good.

So the talent group I guess. Though Harris would have to be healthy and Blake has to develop quickly for that to work.

pricejj
05-03-2012, 08:27 PM
You forget the best scenario Montrose. Franklin is best at RG (strongside road grader)...Kuper has always had the size and ability, more suited to LG.

The SuperBowl OL: Clady, Kuper, Blake, Franklin, Harris

montrose
05-03-2012, 08:35 PM
You forget the best scenario Montrose. Franklin is best at RG (strongside road grader)...Kuper has always had the size and ability, more suited to LG.

The SuperBowl OL: Clady, Kuper, Blake, Franklin, Harris

Yeah I didn't want to move more guys than need be, under that scenerio only one OL returns at the same position as last year. Makes sense though.

pricejj
05-03-2012, 08:46 PM
Yeah I didn't want to move more guys than need be, under that scenerio only one OL returns at the same position as last year. Makes sense though.

Sweet...Talent group is my 2nd choice. :sunshine: good poll

Dedhed
05-03-2012, 08:46 PM
I hate the idea of stunting Franklin's growth in order to get Harris on the field.

broncosteven
05-03-2012, 09:07 PM
I hate the idea of stunting Franklin's growth in order to get Harris on the field.

I thought Frankin was projected to be a better guard than OT? Did I hear wrong, I am not perfect by any stretch.

Kid A
05-03-2012, 09:10 PM
If I had to guess what we will end up seeing this year, I'd lean The Baylor Boys: Clady, Blake, Walton, Kuper, Franklin. Don't see them wanting to move too many many guys around, they invested in Franklin just a year ago probably not ready to give up on RT, but also think they will want to get Blake involved ASAP.

That said, I've been thinking for a while that a healthy Harris starting at RT + Franklin inside would make for a noticeably better line in the short term.

Archer81
05-03-2012, 09:28 PM
Clady Beadles Blake Kuper Franklin.

Just seems how its gonna be.

:Broncos:

strafen
05-03-2012, 09:40 PM
I voted for the talent group.
I still believe Harris is our best RT and he should be back to his old self under a more pass-oriented offense...

Requiem
05-03-2012, 09:42 PM
I'd like to see Blake get a shot to play somewhere as a starter, but I don't know if he can win the job in his rookie year. Maybe. Have they said if they see him as more of a guard? Will be be challenging Beadles or Walton -- perhaps both? Whichever one he can take over for is fine with me. I'm hopeful he does. At the very least, we have a valuable swing-man in reserve. We just need an upgrade at LG or C. Lets cross our fingers that Blake is it.

I like Orlando Franklin. Knowing that this is Ryan Clady's contract year makes me nervous. It is paramount we re-sign Clady, otherwise that becomes a huge need moving forward. He might not be All-Pro anymore, but he is still a Top 10 LT in the NFL as far as I'm concerned and we should lock 'em up. At RG, I pray Kuper comes back from injury. He is one of the veteran leaders on this team and probably one of the longest standing Broncos left from a few coaching era's ago.

As many of you know, I like Harris and had him as a guy who would thrive in Denver, but he can't be counted on long-term. He didn't play last year and missed some significant time in Denver prior. He is a solid player when healthy though, but I think Franklin can make it stick at tackle for the time being. In my eyes it's just best that Ryan remain a viable back-up and pinch starter, with allowing Franklin to get another few reps underneath the belt w/ Maguzzo. We can't do more shuffling there.

At the end of the day, have Clady and Franklin hold it down at tackle. Chris Kuper at RG. Let the best two of Blake, Walton and Beadles play. Check your progression list next off-season and get a lineman in round 2 or 3 (if Clady isn't re-signed, even higher) or a FA and just forget having to address it for a while. This is a group to be excited about. Young and battle tested.

Agamemnon
05-04-2012, 02:03 AM
I really wish the final option was a real, sustainable option, but Harris has never been able to stay healthy.

Agamemnon
05-04-2012, 02:04 AM

Moving him to his natural position is stunting his growth?

Bronco Rob
05-04-2012, 04:07 AM
I really wish the final option was a real, sustainable option, but Harris has never been able to stay healthy.

This.

v2micca
05-04-2012, 04:56 AM

Sadly, yes. I like Harris as quality depth, something we haven't had a lot of in our past O-lines. But I have long since given up hope on him staying healthy as a starter for an entire season.

ColoradoDarin
05-04-2012, 05:30 AM
I like the Baylor Boys option, but flip JD (LG) and Blake (C)

TheReverend
05-04-2012, 05:39 AM
Have we considered Harris inside? Guys got great mobility, leverage and footwork and could probably crush the G position.

cutthemdown
05-04-2012, 06:05 AM
If Blake can play well enough to crack the starting oline and make us better the last yr, and Kuper comes back, and you have a qb that gets rid of the ball quicker, things could go very decently in pass protection.

If they go well in pass protection and the young WR continue to develop then we won't have 8 men in the box and the run game should be able to withstand the loss of Tebow. It will be more traditional with probably a rotation at the RB spot.

Some if's, which always or hard to predict, but still some definite light at the end of the tunnel.

cutthemdown
05-04-2012, 06:06 AM
Have we considered Harris inside? Guys got great mobility, leverage and footwork and could probably crush the G position.

I don't think he plays with enough leverage to play inside. His long arms, just the look of him scream OT IMO.

Bmore Manning
05-04-2012, 06:31 AM
How about the FAB FIVE:

The Five best and most in sync with Manning. I don't care who that would mean, at LG, C, RT. I want the five best players put on the field. I don't care if that means someone's growth at another position is affected long term. Put the best at LG, C, and RT..

v2micca
05-04-2012, 06:37 AM
How about the FAB FIVE:

The Five best and most in sync with Manning. I don't care who that would mean, at LG, C, RT. I want the five best players put on the field. I don't care if that means someone's growth at another position is affected long term. Put the best at LG, C, and RT..

That is what the poll is asking, who do you think will be that FAB FIVE?

TheReverend
05-04-2012, 06:40 AM
I don't think he plays with enough leverage to play inside. His long arms, just the look of him scream OT IMO.

This post contradicts itself a couple times over bud

spdirty
05-04-2012, 07:01 AM
An offensive line without Beadles or Walton (especially Walton) is what I'd like to see.

fontaine
05-04-2012, 07:02 AM
Good thread Montrose.

1. Dressen is an under rated blocker and while he's not a top flite guy we won't miss Fells/Rosari's blocking here.

2. Go with the same starters as last year. The 2nd biggest (apart from talent) factor behind OL success is continuity. Chopping and changing that isn't going to yield immediate benefits unless Walton/Beadles really tank and/or Blake/Harris massively outperform these guys in camp.

I'm not concerned about Franklin as he improved last year and got better and he'll no longer be working the blind side as he was with Tebow. Kuper's health needs to be monitored but he's already said he'll be ready at the start of training camp and his rehab is on schedule.

That leaves us with Walton/Beadles as the weak links. I share your concern here as these guys do not handle stunts/shifts well at all and suck against one gapping, aggressive DTs and really the only option we have here is to go with Blake because you can't count on Harris staying healthy and he hasn't played any G/C as far as I know.

I think Manning could work very well with an inferior LG like Beadles as long as the rest of the guys hold up but Walton is a different story. Direct pressure from the middle at the Center spot is the most direct path to the QB who isn't mobile so he can't step away from that quick pressure up the middle and we absolutely need Walton to not make assignment errors like he did last year and completely whiff on blocks as well like he did at times.

But then it's rare to see an OL full of five very good/pro bowl types. I don't think Beadles problems can be corrected as he fundamentally lacks technique and doesn't play with natural strength and violence so he would be a candidate for replacement. Who you do that with is a different question.

Bmore Manning
05-04-2012, 07:24 AM
That is what the poll is asking, who do you think will be that FAB FIVE?

That's difficult to say, I don't know who's going to be healthy, who is going to progress and work with Manning...

I would suspect Denver will do:
Clady, Blake, Walton, Kuper, Franklin

This would be the five best:
Clady, Franklin, Blake, Kuper, Harris

Traveler
05-04-2012, 07:39 AM
That's difficult to say, I don't know who's going to be healthy, who is going to progress and work with Manning...

I'd have to go with your first take. Can't rely on Harris' back issues.

55CrushEm
05-04-2012, 07:52 AM
Oh and a lot depends on how Kaylore's boyfriend recovers. Hilarious!

Hey! That's family smack! Should be a 2 week ban!!!

gyldenlove
05-04-2012, 08:01 AM
I like Harris better at RT from a talent point of view, but I am not fond of relying on his back to carry us, he is just so injury prone.

Play2win
05-04-2012, 08:04 AM

Then, move Blake over to center in 2013 and get a road-grader at LG to replace him?

Dedhed
05-04-2012, 08:14 AM
Moving him to his natural position is stunting his growth?

Not sure how you come up with that. He was clearly drafted to play OT.

Bmore Manning
05-04-2012, 08:17 AM
Then, move Blake over to center in 2013 and get a road-grader at LG to replace him?

I wouldn't be opposed to that. Truthfully if Harris' back held up, I could see putting him at RT, moving Franklin to LG, knowing he can play RT. But.. I think it's difficult to overtake the Center spot as a rookie, so I see Blake playing LG this year as you said, maybe C next year? But Walton may progress with Manning.

Play2win
05-04-2012, 08:29 AM
I wouldn't be opposed to that. Truthfully if Harris' back held up, I could see putting him at RT, moving Franklin to LG, knowing he can play RT. But.. I think it's difficult to overtake the Center spot as a rookie, so I see Blake playing LG this year as you said, maybe C next year? But Walton may progress with Manning.

It's just great to have options. It'll be a blast to see how all these battles on the offense turnout. Next season should be a fun ride!

I would really like us to ramp up our screen gameľ PM to our RBs could turn into some real big gains.

Bmore Manning
05-04-2012, 08:44 AM
It's just great to have options. It'll be a blast to see how all these battles on the offense turnout. Next season should be a fun ride!

I would really like us to ramp up our screen gameľ PM to our RBs could turn into some real big gains.

The screen game and the famous stretch play are going to be coming to a team dearest to you very soon!

Archer81
05-04-2012, 08:58 AM
The screen game and the famous stretch play are going to be returning to a team dearest to you very soon!

FYP.

Bmore Manning
05-04-2012, 10:06 AM
FYP.

FYP?

55CrushEm
05-04-2012, 10:09 AM
FYP?

Fellate Your Penis

Bmore Manning
05-04-2012, 10:31 AM
Fellate Your Penis

Why would he say that? People on here can be douchey.

Archer81
05-04-2012, 10:41 AM
Why would he say that? People on here can be douchey.

Yes they can. In future, FYP means, "fixed your post."

The Joker
05-04-2012, 10:50 AM
I'll be very surprised if it's anything other than what we went with last year.

Harris seems well suited to being a reserve, it doesn't seem wise to rely on him being healthy for a full year. In the event that Clady or Franklin go down he'd be a fine guy to plug in there then pray he can stay healthy.

Franklin I don't expect to move from RT. Maybe he ultimately ends up at Guard but it seems that for now the staff likes him as an OT and while he looked really shaky at times last year I think he gets more than a year before they give up on him playing outside.

On the inside I think Blake will be viewed as a reserve plan in the event that either Kuper doesn't recover fully or Walton or Beadles struggles. This year will be make or break for Walton and Beadles, I won't be surprised if Blake takes one of their jobs by the end of the year but to start out I think they'll give the two 3rd year players their shot.

My guess is that Franklin becomes a solid RT, good in the running game and decent in pass protection, and that one of Walton or Beadles gets their act together this year and becomes a decent player on the inside while the other continues to suck and gets benched during the season if the staff thinks Blake is ready to play as a rookie.

Bmore Manning
05-04-2012, 11:02 AM
Yes they can. In future, FYP means, "fixed your post."

My appologies, seems someone else was being douchey.
Returning.. Got it, didn't notice that change at first.

kupesdad
05-04-2012, 03:01 PM
Hi guys... Here's an update. He has been out of the cast for 3 weeks. He was surprised how inflexible his foot was but he's got full weight on it. He thinks he'll be jogging soon but I would imagine it will be July before he is running full speed (or less) but he's a gamer and I wouldn't bet against him. (I would but not about this) actually I'll start acting like we've written him out of the family for being a sissy and just to make me wrong he'll be the comeback kid and I'll never see my grand kids. But at least you guys will have the worn out vet to pile on in 3 or 4 years... Nice effing plan kuper... at least we'll have Khan unless he drops us for a blind side tackle.

Agamemnon
05-04-2012, 03:23 PM
Not sure how you come up with that. He was clearly drafted to play OT.

I've watched him play OT, and he looks like what he is: a guard playing tackle. Why EFX drafted him to play OT is quite simply beyond me.

TheReverend
05-04-2012, 03:25 PM
Hi guys... Here's an update. He has been out of the cast for 3 weeks. He was surprised how inflexible his foot was but he's got full weight on it. He thinks he'll be jogging soon but I would imagine it will be July before he is running full speed (or less) but he's a gamer and I wouldn't bet against him. (I would but not about this) actually I'll start acting like we've written him out of the family for being a sissy and just to make me wrong he'll be the comeback kid and I'll never see my grand kids. But at least you guys will have the worn out vet to pile on in 3 or 4 years... Nice effing plan kuper... at least we'll have Khan unless he drops us for a blind side tackle.

Repped so hard lol

Cito Pelon
05-04-2012, 03:34 PM
Is Harris really an upgrade over Franklin at RT? Or even an upgrade over Beadles at RT?

Maybe Beadles will get a tryout at RT, Franklin moves to G, Blake works at the C spot, or at RG if Kuper is a little slow to recover.

Agamemnon
05-04-2012, 03:36 PM
Is Harris really an upgrade over Franklin at RT? Or even an upgrade over Beadles at RT?

Assuming he's healthy, yes and hell yes.

Mogulseeker
05-04-2012, 07:31 PM
If Harris can stay healthy, then that last group is the most talented.

Mogulseeker
05-04-2012, 07:35 PM

Maybe Beadles will get a tryout at RT, Franklin moves to G, Blake works at the C spot, or at RG if Kuper is a little slow to recover.

In terms of pass blocking, Harris is leaps and bounds over Beadles.

Franklin is better than both of them, but he can play multiple positions.

IDK, maybe keep Franklin at RT and try out Harris at LG???

Lestat
05-04-2012, 07:35 PM
i think the best lineup will be Franklin,Blake,Walton,Kuper and Clady.
Harris is iffy at best to stay healthy, Beadles is a weaker link IMO than Walton though neither is exactly a world beater who should have job security.

Dedhed
05-04-2012, 08:50 PM
I've watched him play OT, and he looks like what he is: a guard playing tackle. Why EFX drafted him to play OT is quite simply beyond me.

Perhaps, but every one of your posts is tainted, just like Errand, Tony, Macgruder. You don't have any interest in reality, just going anti EFX.

If he were playing guard you'd be screaming that he was awesome as an OT at Miami and that it's quite simply beyond you that they have him stuck at guard.