PDA

View Full Version : Manning's Injury

manchambo
05-02-2012, 11:34 PM
Over on chiefsplanet there are probably no less than 500 posts suggesting that Manning is "one hit away" from a grievous neck injury. I have not seen anyone other than a mullet head suggest that this is the case and I assume that, like many surgical repairs, Manning's neck is at least as strong as it was before. I doubt that he could pass a physical otherwise and I seriously doubt that he would subject himself to that kind of risk at this stage. Has anyone seen an authoritative source on his risk of further injury?

That One Guy
05-02-2012, 11:37 PM
As far as I've read, the fused factor makes the particular point stronger than it was before. That said, I'm still under the assumption you mentioned.

Bronco Rob
05-02-2012, 11:38 PM
Over on chiefsplanet.

:sunshine:

OBF1
05-02-2012, 11:47 PM
What gets me is that Bronco fans:

1) Go to chiefs or fader boards
2) Waste their time posting the crap here, Look mommy, I was on the interweb
3) actully give a crap what other teams fans say, what in the hell do they know???

BroncoMan4ever
05-02-2012, 11:53 PM
Manning had similar neck issues prior to John Lynch prior to his signing in Denver. the same surgeon worked on both, the same surgeon said both were good to go. Lynch came in and was himself and a pro bowler 3 more times. Manning is just fine, great for us, sad for the rest of the league.

Bronco Rob
05-03-2012, 12:06 AM
When your 64 million dollar quarterback is 18-21 as a starter you will do almost anything to deflect attention away from your own shortcomings.

Also it must have been a bitter pill to swallow when Manning wouldn't even piss in kansas citys general direction.

extralife
05-03-2012, 12:24 AM
Over on chiefsplanet there are probably no less than 500 posts suggesting that Manning is "one hit away" from a grievous neck injury.

Don't worry, there are about the same amount of them here.

broncocalijohn
05-03-2012, 12:57 AM
Over on chiefsplanet there are probably no less than 500 posts suggesting that Manning is "one hit away" from a grievous neck injury. I have not seen anyone other than a mullet head suggest that this is the case and I assume that, like many surgical repairs, Manning's neck is at least as strong as it was before. I doubt that he could pass a physical otherwise and I seriously doubt that he would subject himself to that kind of risk at this stage. Has anyone seen an authoritative source on his risk of further injury?

First, why would you go over there? Every minute at CP makes you one point closer to imbecile (I hope I spelled it correctly). Those fans weren't total retard until they spent all their time at CP. Anytime they suggest the "one hit away", just remind them that they are "one drunk night" away of marrying their sister. You realize you are dealing with the simple jacks of the world at CP.

spdirty
05-03-2012, 12:57 AM

Everyone who has ever stepped on a football field is "One hit away." Stupid ass reasoning. At least Manning knows how to protect himself from the crippling hits, unlike our former QB.

Bronco Rob
05-03-2012, 01:01 AM
Peyton Manning 208 Career Starts.

208 Games Played.

Non-issue..

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MannPe00.htm

ZONA
05-03-2012, 03:25 AM
For what it's worth.

I knew a dude several years ago that broke his neck in a hangliding wreck. He had some stuff fused and the doctor told him it was now actually stronger then before, just the movement and mobility had been decreased, obviously.

Jetmeck
05-03-2012, 03:27 AM
do you need another reason to stay off that crap board ?
quit ****in with them..............

ColoradoDarin
05-03-2012, 06:27 AM
What gets me is that Bronco fans:

1) Go to chiefs or fader boards
2) Waste their time posting the crap here, Look mommy, I was on the interweb
3) actully give a crap what other teams fans say, what in the hell do they know???

This.

TonyR
05-03-2012, 06:31 AM
I've posted this numerous times over the last couple of months, but here it is again...

Wellington K. Hsu, a spine surgeon and assistant professor at Northwestern University, says the fused area should not be vulnerable. "In fact, his neck is probably stronger now than it was before the surgery because he has a solid, bony fusion," Hsu said.

Rick Sasso, an Indianapolis spine surgeon who, like Hsu, was not involved in Manning's treatment, agrees. "As long as the fusion was solid, that segment is very protected," he said.

Sasso says the surgery Manning had, known medically as a "single level anterior fusion," is common. He estimates he has performed about 1,500 of them.

"It's one of the most routine operations we do now as spine surgeons. We do it as an out-patient. Most out-patients go home about four hours after the operation is done,' Sasso said.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/story/2012-03-08/doctors-upbeat-on-manning-health/53424974/1

Broncos_OTM
05-03-2012, 06:37 AM
as been stated the neck is stronger. I hear the worry is the nerves and the loss of movement

TonyR
05-03-2012, 06:40 AM
as been stated the neck is stronger. I hear the worry is the nerves and the loss of movement

From the article I just posted above:

"Peyton's issue is weakness of the muscle, and that doesn't always happen," says Hsu. "So that made his (outcome) more unpredictable as well."

Then there is the nerve issue.

"The question is whether his nerve was compressed for too long and whether it's got a chance of getting better or not and whether it is getting better," Sasso said.

Binkythefrog
05-03-2012, 06:41 AM
Every player in the NFL is just one awkward or bad hit away from injury, Manning is no different in my opinion than the other 31 starting QB's in the league, in fact I think Tebow is more susceptible to injury since he will take more hits if he is a starter.

andre
05-03-2012, 06:59 AM
hope he would be well soon

Bacchus
05-03-2012, 07:16 AM

ALERT!!!!!!

Every player in the NFL is one hit away from retirement.

You may now go back to reading these senseles posts.

Kaylore
05-03-2012, 07:50 AM
Peyton Manning 208 Career Starts.

208 Games Played.

Non-issue..

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MannPe00.htm

This.

First, who cares what they say over there? They are in complete denial. They have Cassel at QB and Romeo "inaudible" Crennel as their head coach.

Second, Manning has been almost indestructible his entire career. We're not talking about Brodie Croyle, here. The guy has been the model of durability. He doesn't take hits because he gets rid of the ball quickly. He moves in the pocket well and is more mobile than he gets credit for. He takes care of his body like someone who knows what millions of dollars is worth. There was an article about when he took his physical how he could out-distance-run many of the players when they checked in for their physicals at camp. The guy takes care of his body.

Third, Manning's neck is stronger at the point where the fusion occurred than the other parts of his neck. That's medical fact. The idea that his head is barely hanging on by a few strands of lint covered scotch tape is completely false.

Could Manning get knocked out of the game on a bad hit? Yes. Is he any more vulnerable than any other QB in the game? No.

The real issue is how much strength will grow back from the nerve damage in his throwing arm. By all accounts it is better than in the last game he played where it was pretty poor. However there is some question if it will ever get "completely there" if not for injury certainly because of age. I think Manning will be fine. We can still win with Manning with a Montana-level arm strength since they are about equal all other things considered.

gyldenlove
05-03-2012, 08:24 AM
This.

First, who cares what they say over there? They are in complete denial. They have Cassel at QB and Romeo "inaudible" Crennel as their head coach.

Second, Manning has been almost indestructible his entire career. We're not talking about Brodie Croyle, here. The guy has been the model of durability. He doesn't take hits because he gets rid of the ball quickly. He moves in the pocket well and is more mobile than he gets credit for. He takes care of his body like someone who knows what millions of dollars is worth. There was an article about when he took his physical how he could out-distance-run many of the players when they checked in for their physicals at camp. The guy takes care of his body.

Third, Manning's neck is stronger at the point where the fusion occurred than the other parts of his neck. That's medical fact. The idea that his head is barely hanging on by a few strands of lint covered scotch tape is completely false.

Could Manning get knocked out of the game on a bad hit? Yes. Is he any more vulnerable than any other QB in the game? No.

The real issue is how much strength will grow back from the nerve damage in his throwing arm. By all accounts it is better than in the last game he played where it was pretty poor. However there is some question if it will ever get "completely there" if not for injury certainly because of age. I think Manning will be fine. We can still win with Manning with a Montana-level arm strength since they are about equal all other things considered.

A lot of people forget that Manning's greatest strength was always located a foot and a half above his neck (he has a huge head). His ability to read defenses and adapt his plan of attack to what he was seeing is still there.

Manning is the most cerebral QB the Denver Broncos have ever had, he doesn't have and has never had the raw athletic ability Elway had, but he is on a different level when it comes to seeing the game and predicting what will happen.

If the offensive line can give him time, he will make magic happen.

enjolras
05-03-2012, 08:27 AM
To the nerve issue:

As I understand it the nerve damage would result in two things:

a) an inability to stabilize his arm
b) significant loss in velocity

We can see from images and what his receivers are saying that A is probably not an issue. There has been concern about his velocity (from Manning's own mouth) and I think that's still a concern.

TheReverend
05-03-2012, 08:40 AM
The Osweiler pick has given me more cause for concern re: Peyton's health than anything else (aside from the injury itself, of course).

broncosteven
05-03-2012, 11:56 AM
To the nerve issue:

As I understand it the nerve damage would result in two things:

a) an inability to stabilize his arm
b) significant loss in velocity

We can see from images and what his receivers are saying that A is probably not an issue. There has been concern about his velocity (from Manning's own mouth) and I think that's still a concern.

Manning's neck is structurally sound and stronger than before. Range of motion is decreased for each fusion.

Nerve damage happens when the nerve thinks it is still being pinched after the surgery among other things but likely true in this case.

The issue with the nerve damage is that the nerve sends pain signals to the brain and the muscles that connect to that nerve atrophy.

From what I have gathered Manning's nerve damage has not been diagnosed as chronic yet, the Dr's believe that it is regenerating/healing. He has been able to tolerate throwing which is a good thing, I threw a nerf football to my son for a few minutes a couple weeks ago and it took 3 days for the pain to calm down.

I would be more worried if he couldn't tolerate the pain. I am sure he has people working on him all the time and is getting the best treatment he and the team can afford.

I think it boils down to can he tolerate the pain from the nerve from running throwing taking hits week in and week out. He can rebuild the muscle loss from the atrophy it is the pain management that is the key.

broncosteven
05-03-2012, 12:02 PM
The Osweiler pick has given me more cause for concern re: Peyton's health than anything else (aside from the injury itself, of course).

This was the 1st thing I thought of.

The mCg part of me thinks EFX just wanted to get rid of Tebow, signed Manning hoping that if he could play then great but if he can't we will get a rookie QB to develop. Remember he could tolerate the pain for a couple weeks of the season then have a set back in the recovery and not be able to play for a weeks or months so having a young QB that they believe in was a very smart move.

If EFX would have just traded Tebow outright for a 4th round pick and then got a QB in the draft to replace him the fan base would have been all over them. This way they can blame Manning for "misleading" them if he has a set back and they now have 2 QB's they actually want on the team. Plus Tebow gets to play Punt Protector and shower with Sanchez.

Tombstone RJ
05-03-2012, 12:11 PM

chefs planet is venting for a couple of reasons, one, Manning ignored kc and two Manning signed with the Broncos.

Before these two things happened chefsplanet posters were not nearly as concerned about Manning's neck. Now on the flip side OMane posters like myself were somewhat concerned and whatever team signed Manning had to make sure he was 100% healthy. Hopefully the Broncos did this.

Fact is, there were many teams interested in Manning and I don't think any of them were worried about Manning's neck because Manning was/is willing to sign a contract that protects the team in case of re-injury.

Bmore Manning
05-03-2012, 12:38 PM
Chiefs offered Manning a contract prior to a workout, interview, or medical exam. The fans of KC would be very hypocritical to question his health..

Mile High Salute
05-03-2012, 12:42 PM

The only authoritative source that matters is all the other teams that were sniffing Manning's jock...the Broncos got him and Kansas City didn't.

Sour grapes, plain and simple. Matt Cassell is still your QB Hilarious!, and the QB we tossed off our scrap heap (Brady Quinn, aka "Noodle Arm") is your #2. Oh, and you also live in either Kansas or Missouri, so you still lose. Enjoy! :yayaya:^5

Pony Boy
05-03-2012, 12:44 PM
Apparently the Chiefs Plant has never heard of Brock Osweiler

cmhargrove
05-03-2012, 12:44 PM
I think Manning will be playing with one of these, but other than that, it's cool.

Black96WS6
05-03-2012, 01:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVQ5OYr-5So

Bacchus
05-03-2012, 01:24 PM
This was the 1st thing I thought of.

The mCg part of me thinks EFX just wanted to get rid of Tebow, signed Manning hoping that if he could play then great but if he can't we will get a rookie QB to develop. Remember he could tolerate the pain for a couple weeks of the season then have a set back in the recovery and not be able to play for a weeks or months so having a young QB that they believe in was a very smart move.

If EFX would have just traded Tebow outright for a 4th round pick and then got a QB in the draft to replace him the fan base would have been all over them. This way they can blame Manning for "misleading" them if he has a set back and they now have 2 QB's they actually want on the team. Plus Tebow gets to play Punt Protector and shower with Sanchez.

That is the way I interpted Manning's signing. That being said the reward for this signing is so great the Broncos would have been crazy to turn away from it.

Bacchus
05-03-2012, 01:27 PM
Apparently the Chiefs Plant has never heard of Brock Osweiler

This surprises you? They have never heard of indoor plumbing or electricity either. The leading cause of death for Chief fan ,next to Meth lab explosions, is fire from knocking over there kerosene heaters.

SonOfLe-loLang
05-03-2012, 01:28 PM
A lot of people forget that Manning's greatest strength was always located a foot and a half above his neck (he has a huge head). His ability to read defenses and adapt his plan of attack to what he was seeing is still there.

Manning is the most cerebral QB the NFL has ever had, he doesn't have and has never had the raw athletic ability Elway had, but he is on a different level when it comes to seeing the game and predicting what will happen.

If the offensive line can give him time, he will make magic happen.

fixed

baja
05-03-2012, 01:44 PM
This surprises you? They have never heard of indoor plumbing or electricity either. The leading cause of death for Chief fan ,next to Meth lab explosions, is fire from knocking over there kerosene heaters.

I read somewhere it was their cameros collapsing the 5 gal. plastic buckets they were using as blocks and crushing them while working underneath the car.

Kaylore
05-03-2012, 02:49 PM
Plus Tebow gets to play Punt Protector and shower with Sanchez.

Sign me up!

/Sirhcyenne

BroncoMan4ever
05-03-2012, 03:15 PM
I think Manning will be playing with one of these, but other than that, it's cool.

On the plus side with that head gear he will probably be able to pick up on our opponents conversations over their headsets

SPORTSWRITER
05-04-2012, 03:57 AM
As far as I've read, the fused factor makes the particular point stronger than it was before. That said, I'm still under the assumption you mentioned.

Having had a similar surgery fusing C2 and C3, I was told that the repair job was actually making everything much stronger than before. The worst part for me is not being able to stretch as well as before the surgery, which is frustrating when the need to stretch, like upon awakening in the morning, is not possible after the fusion. Manning could not have passed a physical if he were not deemed "healthy" by our physicians.

TonyR
05-04-2012, 06:50 AM
...he could tolerate the pain for a couple weeks of the season then have a set back...

I haven't heard that pain has been an issue for him in his recovery.