PDA

View Full Version : Draft talk and nothing but draft talk

baja
05-02-2012, 07:58 PM
I suggest we let that other thread die.

Courtesy of gyldenlove;

OTAs: May 21-23, May 30-June 1, June 4-7.

Minicamps: (rookies only) May 11-13*, June 12-14

Dr. Broncenstein
05-02-2012, 08:00 PM
Could have traded a second rounder for Mallet.

baja
05-02-2012, 08:00 PM
I loved our draft.

I had my doubts about Elway's ability to run an NFL team but his actions are winning me over.

I have hope we will become as good an executive as he was a player.

Gort
05-02-2012, 08:03 PM
I loved our draft.

I had my doubts about Elway's ability to run an NFL team but his actions are winning me over.

if wishes were horses, everybody would ride.

Elway is in the HOF as a player. it remains to be seen if he's got the chops to earn admission for his FO gig.

baja
05-02-2012, 08:03 PM
Could have traded a second rounder for Mallet.

It appears the FO believes they hit a home run with Osweller, whom from now on I will call Oz.

Time will tell. This and dumping TT will be Elway's defining moment

baja
05-02-2012, 08:04 PM
if wishes were horses, everybody would ride.

Elway is in the HOF as a player. it remains to be seen if he's got the chops to earn admission for his FO gig.

Yes it does and that is why I chose the word "hope"

baja
05-02-2012, 08:05 PM
What about the other picks?

g6matty
05-02-2012, 08:07 PM
who else thinks hillman will be our starting running back by week 4

baja
05-02-2012, 08:09 PM

I have high hopes for the kid but he's got to be able to pass block before he starts.

Drek
05-02-2012, 08:10 PM
It appears the FO believes they hit a home run with Osweller, whom from now on I will call Oz.

Time will tell. This and dumping TT will be Elway's defining moment

That works, I'm sure the kid as bought a few in his college days.

Pony Boy
05-02-2012, 08:23 PM
Most teams consider a draft class a success if you have at least 3 picks make the starting lineup in their first season and I don't see it with this class.

barryr
05-02-2012, 08:25 PM
Hillman starts only because McGahee gets hurt.

I'm ok with this draft, though count me in as one who would have liked it much better with a different player at 57, especially one that could play and help right now. I just don't see this roster as good as the Broncos apparently think it is.

baja
05-02-2012, 08:26 PM
When do the mini camps start???

gyldenlove
05-02-2012, 08:29 PM
When do the mini camps start???

OTAs: May 21-23, May 30-June 1, June 4-7.

Minicamps: (rookies only) May 11-13*, June 12-14.

Shananahan
05-02-2012, 08:39 PM
Most teams consider a draft class a success if you have at least 3 picks make the starting lineup and I don't see it with this class.
Wolfe, Blake and Osweiler isn't that hard to see happening. Bolden and Jackson... who knows.

Pony Boy
05-02-2012, 08:44 PM
Wolfe, Blake and Osweiler isn't that hard to see happening. Bolden and Jackson... who knows.

Sorry, I forgot to add at least 3 picks starting in their first season, not projects down the road.

R8R H8R
05-02-2012, 08:47 PM
Most teams consider a draft class a success if you have at least 3 picks make the starting lineup and I don't see it with this class.

There are 3 guys drafted that can make an immediate impact this year, health permitting, and that is Wolfe, Hillman, & Bolden. However, starting is another matter and may take longer.

While I think Wolfe can push to start mid-to late season, Hillman & Bolden may be 1 to 2 years away. Osweiller was drafted to be a starter, but we all know that if things go right, he won't see the field for at least 3 or more years.

baja
05-02-2012, 08:50 PM
Sorry, I forgot to add at least 3 picks starting in their first season, not projects down the road.

Can you name a few teams that recently drafted 3 players that started their first year. I doubt that is where the bar for a successful draft is.

R8R H8R
05-02-2012, 08:51 PM

For the record, Elway said before the draft that he expected "impact" guys, not necessarily starters immediately. I think he was being realistic concerning the overall talent of this draft and where they were drafting, as compared to last year.

R8R H8R
05-02-2012, 08:55 PM
Can you name a few teams that recently drafted 3 players that started their first year. I doubt that is where the bar for a successful draft is.

Denver Broncos, 2011 draft. Miller, Franklin, and Rahim Morris 1st half of year and Carter 2nd half of year.

oubronco
05-02-2012, 08:58 PM
Broncos have big plans for rookie Blake (http://stats.profootballweekly.com/2012/04/28/broncos-have-big-plans-for-rookie-blake)

It’s unclear where he’ll play, but expect to see Philip Blake on the field somewhere for the Broncos this season. Able to line up at either guard or center, the 26-year-old Blake has terrific size and good feet, and played all across the line while at Baylor. Given the gruesome ankle injury suffered by ORG Chris Kuper in Week 17 of the 2011 season, Kuper's status and ability for the future is unknown, and Blake could fill in for him. Blake also could replace the underperforming J.D. Walton, his former college teammate, at center. Blake said he is “very comfortable” playing either position, having seen time at both spots in college and at the Senior Bowl. We hear Blake’s versatility was one of the reasons he was so highly desired by the Broncos, who are expected to put that skill set to good use early on.

Shananahan
05-02-2012, 08:59 PM
Yeah, I remember hearing all those guys at Dove Valley calling the 2006 class a failure that season.

Stuck in Cali
05-02-2012, 08:59 PM
I think our draft was a pretty good one. We addressed some need and took some projects. I have always loved lower round picks cause the seem to have more drive and want in them. Either to prove everyone wrong cause of where they were drafted, or to just make the team.

Some of the best Broncos ever had been low round picks. Really excited for this rookie class.

Pony Boy
05-02-2012, 09:00 PM

That was a topic on the Sirius NFL network on draft day and that's were they set the bar. They brought up several teams with 3 or more including one team that had their first 3 picks all make the HOF.

baja
05-02-2012, 09:01 PM
Denver Broncos, 2011 draft. Miller, Franklin, and Rahim Morris 1st half of year and Carter 2nd half of year.

Hopefully we will have similar success but the 3 starter bar is flawed because a shiity team will "find" more starters that a playoff team. The 3 starter bar is not fairly applied to all teams.

oubronco
05-02-2012, 09:02 PM
ROUND 4, PICK 101

OMAR BOLDEN

CB/KR, Arizona State

Bolden (5-10, 202) is likely the third quick-impact player in the Broncos' draft class. He should be a dime back right away and will push nickel back Chris Harris for playing time. Bolden also returned kickoffs at Arizona State and will compete for that role after Eddie Royal's departure for San Diego. Bolden fell to the fourth round because of concerns about his left knee. He had a sprained MCL in 2009 and a torn ACL last season. But he appeared to recover most of his speed by his pro day, posting a 4.45 time in the 40.
ROUND 4, PICK 108

PHILIP BLAKE

C/G, Baylor

Blake (6-3, 311) replaced current Broncos starting center J.D. Walton in 2010 after starting the entire 2009 season at right tackle. He will likely move to guard in Denver after working at left and right guard during Senior Bowl week. At 26, Blake is older than all but one of the Broncos' first-team offensive linemen; the Toronto native spent three years in a Quebec college before transferring to Tyler (Texas) Junior College in 2008 and Baylor in 2009. He should begin his career as the Broncos' primary backup at the three interior line slots.
ROUND 5, PICK 137

http://dy.snimg.com/story-image/3/60/2587826/91456-330-0.jpgThe Broncos selected Omar Bolden in the fourth-round. (AP Photo)
MALIK JACKSON

DE, Tennessee

Jackson (6-5, 284) played defensive tackle the last two seasons but is projected to move to end, which he last played at Southern Cal before transferring in 2010 after the Trojans were hit with NCAA sanctions. In some ways, his skill set is the opposite of second-rounder Derek Wolfe; he's better against the run than in the pass rush and is an end who can occasionally move inside. Wolfe is a prolific pass-rushing tackle who has the flexibility to swing outside.
ROUND 6, PICK 188

DANNY TREVATHAN

LB, Kentucky

Trevathan's scouting report sounds similar to that of Wesley Woodyard when he came out of Kentucky in 2008: undersized tackling machine who can sometimes get overrun by offensive linemen. Woodyard overcame the criticism to become Denver's special-teams captain three years running and one of the linebackers in their nickel package. The Broncos hope Trevathan (6-0, 237) takes a similar trajectory; he'll get a long look on kickoff and punt teams this summer, and his work there will likely determine whether he sticks on the roster.
THE TAKE

"We think he was a first- or second-round talent, and we were able to get him in the fourth. Even though he hasn't played on (the injured knee) yet, he's been through workouts, and we felt that with the blessing of 'Greek' (head athletic trainer Steve Antonopulos), that he was a good pick for us in the fourth round." — Executive vice president John Elway on Arizona State CB Omar Bolden

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2012-04-28/nfl-draft-2012-denver-broncos-omar-bolden-malik-jackson#ixzz1tlvO0n6m

Vegas_Bronco
05-02-2012, 09:02 PM
Broncos have big plans for rookie Blake (http://stats.profootballweekly.com/2012/04/28/broncos-have-big-plans-for-rookie-blake)

It’s unclear where he’ll play, but expect to see Philip Blake on the field somewhere for the Broncos this season. Able to line up at either guard or center, the 26-year-old Blake has terrific size and good feet, and played all across the line while at Baylor. Given the gruesome ankle injury suffered by ORG Chris Kuper in Week 17 of the 2011 season, Kuper's status and ability for the future is unknown, and Blake could fill in for him. Blake also could replace the underperforming J.D. Walton, his former college teammate, at center. Blake said he is “very comfortable” playing either position, having seen time at both spots in college and at the Senior Bowl. We hear Blake’s versatility was one of the reasons he was so highly desired by the Broncos, who are expected to put that skill set to good use early on.

I was amazed that we only drafted 1 oline member...i hope the udfa turns out to be a steal.

Pony Boy
05-02-2012, 09:03 PM
Yeah, I remember hearing all those guys at Dove Valley calling the 2006 class a failure that season.

You can discuss the topic or just be the ass you usually are..... your choice

jutang
05-02-2012, 09:06 PM
How is Kuper's rehab going? I figure he wouldn't be ready for ota's but was hoping he would be back for training camp. O-line needs continuity and with having to learn a completely different offense, it's vital he comes back as soon as possible.

Him and Clady have always been the center pieces of the oline.

Shananahan
05-02-2012, 09:08 PM
You can discuss the topic or just be the ass you usually are....
I thought I was doing both.

If you heard some people say on the radio that three picks starting their rookie season is where they draw the line on success, that's fine. Normally when that happens the team is either already terrible or just incredibly lucky.

I'd be willing to bet almost everybody would call Denver's 2006 draft an overwhelming success, regardless of the fact that it does not meet your criteria.

Bronkota
05-02-2012, 09:10 PM
That was a topic on the Sirius NFL network on draft day and that's were they set the bar. They brought up several teams with 3 or more including one team that had their first 3 picks all make the HOF.

1974 Steelers draft had 4 Hof'rs Lynn Swann, Jack Lambert, John Stallworth, and Mike Webster.

baja
05-02-2012, 09:14 PM
I thought I was doing both.

If you heard some people say on the radio that three picks starting their rookie season is where they draw the line on success, that's fine. Normally when that happens the team is either already terrible or just incredibly lucky.

I'd be willing to bet almost everybody would call Denver's 2006 draft an overwhelming success, regardless of the fact that it does not meet your criteria.

Another influencing factor is the order the team is drafting.

A SB winner is obviously a good team and they are drafting at 32. Is it fair to declare their draft a success or failure using the criteria of 3 starters, holding them to the same measure as a 2 and 14 bad team that is drafting very high?

Vegas_Bronco
05-02-2012, 09:15 PM

I think he has a lot of strength work to do to be a starter...hes a small guy that could break down if he gets pushed too far in # of carries.

R8R H8R
05-02-2012, 09:24 PM
Hopefully we will have similar success but the 3 starter bar is flawed because a shiity team will "find" more starters that a playoff team. The 3 starter bar is not fairly applied to all teams.

That's true, but I think that is why Elway hedged his bets and specifically said in his pre-draft PC that they were looking for immediate "impact" guys rather than starters.

Partially because of the quality of this draft and partially because we are a much better team this year heading into TC than last year.

baja
05-03-2012, 08:19 AM
I think he has a lot of strength work to do to be a starter...hes a small guy that could break down if he gets pushed too far in # of carries.

He weighs 195 to 200 lbs and was a work horse in school.

Lestat
05-03-2012, 08:47 AM
from this draft i see Wolfe,Hillman,Blake as likely to start this season.
Bolden,Jackson,Trevathan will log some serious PT either due to injury or forcing their way onto the field.

Osweiler is the only guy that doesn't see the field and if he doesn't that a great thing for us.

Bmore Manning
05-03-2012, 08:57 AM
from this draft i see Wolfe,Hillman,Blake as likely to start this season.
Bolden,Jackson,Trevathan will log some serious PT either due to injury or forcing their way onto the field.

Osweiler is the only guy that doesn't see the field and if he doesn't that a great thing for us.

This.
Wolfe will play UT. Hillman will get 100 touches and contribute. Bolden will see nickel and dime. Jackson DE and DT snaps. Trevathan some nickel packages and some snaps each week.
All but Brock will see snaps, make a contribution and be eased into the game and more serious roles in the future.

BowlenBall
05-03-2012, 08:58 AM
Fearless Predictions for 2012:

Wolfe: instant starter, won't have a great stat line but Dumerville and Miller will feast on sacks created by his pressure

Hillman: will split carries, but will have over 800 all-purpose yards his rookie year

Osweiler: will not have a single snap this year (and that's a good thing)

Blake: Swing back-up, but will not displace Beadles or Walton this year

Bolden: dime back, will be 4th or 5th in the CB rotation this year

Jackson: will log plenty of snaps in our Dline rotation

Trevathan: will make the roster while DJ Williams is on suspension, but I think he's on the bubble after that

UDFAs:

Eric Page: Makes the team, catches 20-30 balls this year and serves as our primary kick and punt returner

Jerry Franklin: Makes the team until DJ comes back, then sticks on the practice squad (unless he beats out Trevathan)

Duke Ihenacho: Makes the team, logs 10-15 tackles on special teams

Coryell Judie: Has a good chance of beating out Squid for the last CB spot on the team.

Hulamau
05-03-2012, 08:58 AM
I loved our draft.

He's certainly off to a good start! Making one good move after another. Elway has always been a quick study and is far more polished this year than last.

The future looks bright with him at the helm. Some guys are winners.

And Baja, It is ashame we couldnt keep a guy like Tebow on the team to develop behind Manning, as Manning was willing to do as well.

But the political realities of Tim's stature and notoriety and inspired by the Tebowism maniacs fanatasism insured that would never be possible unfortunately.

I'm afraid that fact is going to be Tim's biggest Achilles heel in ever getting a more or less normal developmental cycle for a QB who clearly needs it badly.

His shot with the Jets is likely his last one as a QB. If he doesn't fly there his star will likely sink pretty fast I'm afraid. Just hope if that happens he has the smarts and opportunity to transition to another position on another team where his considerable talents can be used on the field.

baja
05-03-2012, 09:00 AM
The more I read about Oz the more I think Elway found a Stud. You know Elway has to think he is very special to pass on several impact (Plan A) players to take him. It took some balls to pull the trigger on Osweller. This and dumping TT will be Elways defining moment.

Speaking of drafted QB's and defining moments I think Shanahan has way over paid for RGIII and will end up being his Waterloo.

baja
05-03-2012, 09:07 AM
He's certainly off to a good start! Making one good move after another. Elway has always been a quick study and is far more polished this year than last.

The future looks bright with him at the helm. Some guys are winners.

And Baja, It is ashame we couldnt keep a guy like Tebow on the team to develop behind Manning, as Manning was willing to do as well.

But the political realities of Tim's stature and notoriety and inspired by the Tebowism maniacs fanatasism insured that would never be possible unfortunately.

I'm afraid that fact is going to be Tim's biggest Achilles heel in ever getting a more or less normal developmental cycle for a QB who clearly needs it badly.

His shot with the Jets is likely his last one as a QB. If he doesn't fly there his star will likely sink pretty fast I'm afraid. Just hope if that happens he has the smarts and opportunity to transition to another position on another team where his considerable talents can be used on the field.

ya I agree every point you made about Tebow is the likely outcome.

I think the best thing that could happen for Tebow is for McD get another shot at HC and he trades for TT. ;D

DBroncos4life
05-03-2012, 09:17 AM
Most teams consider a draft class a success if you have at least 3 picks make the starting lineup in their first season and I don't see it with this class.

Really? Wolfe and Blake should start this year and Hillman will be on the field tons. Outside of Oz I see playing time all over this draft.

Lestat
05-03-2012, 09:21 AM
The more I read about Oz the more I think Elway found a Stud. You know Elway has to think he is very special to pass on several impact (Plan A) players to take him. It took some balls to pull the trigger on Osweller. This and dumping TT will be Elways defining moment.

Speaking of drafted QB's and defining moments I think Shanahan has way over paid for RGIII and will end up being his Waterloo.

personally i think Osweiler was plan A. you look at the QB's they tracked this season and outside of Luck when we were looking like a top 3 team and RGIII before he blew up the most scouting seemed to be done on Brock.
private workout, a ton of scouting and it was well known that we wanted him badly.

you can hear the not so subtle hints that Peyton wanted some talent behind him at QB in case he went down again. Elway has said it, Fox has said it & they delivered on it.

this is the perfect old school QB developmental plan.

baja
05-03-2012, 09:22 AM
Sure would like to get some info on Oz's doucebaggery score and his wonderlick score.

Lestat
05-03-2012, 09:24 AM
This.
Wolfe will play UT. Hillman will get 100 touches and contribute. Bolden will see nickel and dime. Jackson DE and DT snaps. Trevathan some nickel packages and some snaps each week.
All but Brock will see snaps, make a contribution and be eased into the game and more serious roles in the future.

i know this may sound kinda silly, but the guy i'm most intrigued by from this draft is Jackson. i was looking over the draft prospects while the draft was unfolding and i remembered Jackson from Tennessee, i went to look at his grade and then a round later we take him. i was happy as hell.
he can play the role i was hoping we'd get Coples to play. tweener DE/DT

Lestat
05-03-2012, 09:26 AM
Sure would like to get some info on Oz's doucebaggery score and his wonderlick score.

well he did ignore Dennis Erickson this past season after everyone knew he wasn't coming back. blatant ignored him and kept the offense on the field and forced the punt team off the field on a 4th and long during one series.

that little defiant streak won't work with Fox or Elway.

gyldenlove
05-03-2012, 09:28 AM
Bolden was pretty widely considered a 2nd round talent before his senior season and injury - he has a lot of skills, good athleticism and decent size. If he can fully recover he could be very good - I think the trick is to be patient with guys like that because he won't be able to contribute a lot right away.

baja
05-03-2012, 09:29 AM
well he did ignore Dennis Erickson this past season after everyone knew he wasn't coming back. blatant ignored him and kept the offense on the field and forced the punt team off the field on a 4th and long during one series.

Wow! Didn't know that. Surprised he wasn't benched for that.

Hope we didn't draft the next Cutler the frown cannon

pricejj
05-03-2012, 09:31 AM
Derek Wolfe - UT - Wolfe should start at UT, with Warren at NT. Although the more likely scenario is rotational UT (much like Mcbean, last year). His impact will be felt immediately, as his attitude will transform the DL. With a healthy Miller and Dumervil, the Broncos could be top 5 in sacks in 2012.

Brock Osweiler - QB - Osweiler will be spending his Senior year in college learning from Manning. Broncos brass, and Noel Mazzone both agree that Osweiler has improved his throwing motion over the offseason. Expect him to begin to learn the intracacies of the game throughout the remainder of the offseason. I will be excited to see how much he has progressed during preseason games.

Ronnie Hillman - RB - Flashy, but diminutive, Hillman possesses all of abilities that will get him plenty of touches this year. The guy is a borderline gamebreaker, whom the Broncos will try to use (in a limited fashion) like Marshall Faulk with the Colts. It ought to be interesting.

Omar Bolden - CB - Bolden has the athletic ability to be the nickel CB right out of the gate, bumping Harris to a lesser role. However, his injury history might have him relegated to punt return, and dime duties only. Much like the other prospect, Bolden's on the field play will determine what his role is.

Phillip Blake - C/OG - Depending on Kuper's status, I expect Blake to challenge Walton at the Center position early in camp. If Kuper is not fully healed, Blake will start at RG...otherwise, it's going to be a knock down drag out fight between Walton and Blake for starting Center duties.

Malik Jackson - DE - Jackson won't start this year, but will definitely get a chance to make an impression. I expect Jackson to be a pleasant surprise, with good production in limited snaps. Could be a starter down the road.

Danny Trevathan - MLB - I actually think Jerry Franklin is the Broncos best MLB. Suddenly MLB becomes VERY crowded.

pricejj
05-03-2012, 09:31 AM
All of these guys will be vying over 2 (maybe 3) spots:
1. Irving
2. Mohamed
3. Trevathan
4. Franklin
5. Judie
6. Bush
7. Garland

BroncoBeavis
05-03-2012, 09:32 AM
I wonder if Peyton and the 1st team is going to take any extra preseason game time to help work the kinks out.

55CrushEm
05-03-2012, 09:32 AM

I always thought it was 3 EVENTUAL starters.....not necessarily starting their rookie years.

Bmore Manning
05-03-2012, 09:33 AM
i know this may sound kinda silly, but the guy i'm most intrigued by from this draft is Jackson. i was looking over the draft prospects while the draft was unfolding and i remembered Jackson from Tennessee, i went to look at his grade and then a round later we take him. i was happy as hell.
he can play the role i was hoping we'd get Coples to play. tweener DE/DT

A few days before the draft I was talking about him being a late round UT with serious upside. I love the pick. I like him and Wolfe at DT on obvious passing downs, with Doom and Miller. We can call that "Juice" package!!

Bmore Manning
05-03-2012, 09:36 AM
All of these guys will be vying over 2 (maybe 3) spots:
1. Irving
2. Mohamed
3. Trevathan
4. Franklin
5. Judie
6. Bush
7. Garland

Pricey, Trevathan plays Will.

baja
05-03-2012, 09:40 AM
I always thought it was 3 EVENTUAL starters.....not necessarily starting their rookie years.

That makes a little more sense.

Pendejo
05-03-2012, 09:41 AM

Hahahaha!!!! That's the spirit! I've completely flip-flopped my opinion of the pick now. Totally for it.

pricejj
Pricey, Trevathan plays Will.

Oh...kind of slow for a WILL.

Hercules Rockefeller

No they don't. If you've got 3 rookies starting, you were either picking really high and your team sucks/has 0 depth or you've been nailed with injuries and they're only playing because there's no one else that can play.

schaaf
05-03-2012, 09:45 AM

They addressed that and Fox said that he plays much faster on the field than what his 40 time appears. I tend to agree with it on the field he looks like he would run a mid 4.5 but he actually ran a 4.75? We'll see how it works out

pricejj
05-03-2012, 09:56 AM
They addressed that and Fox said that he plays much faster on the field than what his 40 time appears. I tend to agree with it on the field he looks like he would run a mid 4.5 but he actually ran a 4.75? We'll see how it works out

Yeah, apparently he had a sore hamstring at the combine, and only ran once.

Here's a little snippet from ukathletics.com:
Trevathan "was timed as fast as 4.45 seconds in the 40-yard dash" in high-school. Often compared to Wesley Woodyard.

http://www.ukathletics.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/trevathan_danny00.html

I wonder how good he is in coverage? We always hoped this would be Wes' strongsuit, but so far it has failed to materialize.

Bmore Manning
05-03-2012, 09:57 AM

And he was nursing a Hammy injury as well. He's a 4.5 40 guy.
Pro football Talk and WalterFootball had articles about Trevathan a late round prospecting, saying his skill set was that of a young Lance Briggs.

Requiem
05-03-2012, 09:59 AM
Summing up our draft:

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/526064_10150869329773690_583923689_11732593_183776 477_n.jpg

Lestat
05-03-2012, 10:01 AM
Wow! Didn't know that. Surprised he wasn't benched for that.

Hope we didn't draft the next Cutler the frown cannon

bench him? ASU had no one else and everyone on ASU knew Erickson was gone. the whole team damn near rebelled on him.
supposedly Brock did it because he was planning on leaving at the time and knew Erickson was gone so he wouldn't suffer any punishment for it.

BroncoBeavis
05-03-2012, 10:09 AM
Hahahaha!!!! That's the spirit! I've completely flip-flopped my opinion of the pick now. Totally for it.

Yeah, then he threw an incompletion on 4th down and turned it over.

baja
05-03-2012, 10:10 AM
bench him? ASU had no one else and everyone on ASU knew Erickson was gone. the whole team damn near rebelled on him.
supposedly Brock did it because he was planning on leaving at the time and knew Erickson was gone so he wouldn't suffer any punishment for it.

So are you saying it was actually a good trait he ignored his coach and stayed on the field on 4th and long?

Maybe it was but not knowing the whole situation at ASU I'd have to let it go and see what he does in Denver.

Pony Boy
05-03-2012, 10:10 AM

Yes, like the Broncos 2006 draft class is full of starters but unfortunately most are starters on other teams .......;D

Dedhed
05-03-2012, 10:16 AM
from this draft i see Wolfe,Hillman,Blake as likely to start this season.I agree. I don't think it's at all a stretch to see those guys as starters this year.
Bolden,Jackson,Trevathan will log some serious PT either due to injury or forcing their way onto the field.I think all three of these guys will see the field in certain packages early in the year. Bolden and Trevathan will contribute on STs right away as well.

Osweiler is the only guy that doesn't see the field and if he doesn't that a great thing for us.It's clear that there are a number of people here who are measuring the draft based solely on this pick. That same crew also seem to want to ignore the reality of the Manning situation.

Lestat
05-03-2012, 10:26 AM

he runs faster than his 40 time that was clocked. Fox even said they had it on good authority that he runs faster and they weren't worried about it.
i think they attended a private workout with him or something.

Lestat
05-03-2012, 10:29 AM
So are you saying it was actually a good trait he ignored his coach and stayed on the field on 4th and long?

Maybe it was but not knowing the whole situation at ASU I'd have to let it go and see what he does in Denver.

no, i don't think was a good trait at all. hence why i said Elway and Fox won't put up with that nonsense. but him being that fiery is part of why you want him as your developmental QB.
i believe he did that in the Las Vegas bowl vs Boise St.
that's why i keep saying that if he buys in and learns to be a pro he'll be special. he's got all the tools but needs to be refined and trained before he gets some run.

baja
05-03-2012, 10:34 AM
no, i don't think was a good trait at all. hence why i said Elway and Fox won't put up with that nonsense. but him being that fiery is part of why you want him as your developmental QB.
i believe he did that in the Las Vegas bowl vs Boise St.
that's why i keep saying that if he buys in and learns to be a pro he'll be special. he's got all the tools but needs to be refined and trained before he gets some run.

He'll get what Tebow never got, time to develop.

DBroncos4life
05-03-2012, 10:37 AM

Whose fault is that? Orton for failing or Tebows fans?

Rohirrim
05-03-2012, 10:41 AM

It seems to me he got plenty of time to develop, but couldn't master the necessary set of skills required to play out of the pocket.

BroncoBeavis
05-03-2012, 10:42 AM

You said Wonderlick.

BroncoBen
05-03-2012, 10:49 AM
It seems to me he got plenty of time to develop, but couldn't master the necessary set of skills required to play out of the pocket.

Easy now... remember it was the FO that didn't want TT to work out so traded away players, didn't let him pass the ball on a weekly basis, came up with limited game plans.. it was all sabotage.

Agamemnon
05-03-2012, 10:51 AM

Seriously? The coach that drafted him gets fired his rookie season, he doesn't get a proper offseason after his rookie year, and he had to work with three different offenses over a two year span (none of which even remotely resembled what he came out of in college). And this is with a guy who was widely believed to be a two to three year project (two to three years in a stable situation mind you). How anyone could think the guy got "plenty of time develop" is completely beyond me.

Do you think Steve Young was given plenty of time to develop in Tampa Bay as well?

Rohirrim
05-03-2012, 10:58 AM
Seriously? The coach that drafted him gets fired his rookie season, he doesn't get a proper offseason after his rookie year, and he had to work with three different offenses over a two year span (none of which even remotely resembled what he came out of in college). And this is with a guy who was widely believed to be a two to three year project (two to three years in a stable situation mind you). How anyone could think the guy got "plenty of time develop" is completely beyond me.

Do you think Steve Young was given plenty of time to develop in Tampa Bay as well?

I doubt Steve Young had as much difficulty reading defenses and mastering a three step drop. There's a reason Ryan is starting him out in punt return protection. If he would just move over to H-back, he could have a great career in the NFL.

baja
05-03-2012, 10:58 AM

The consensus was he needed to sit for two years just like Oz needs to sit for two years.

Lestat
05-03-2012, 10:59 AM

there were two issues with that, the Tebowmaniacs too concerned with him playing rather than developing and the epic fail of the starting QB ahead of him.

if he was behind Manning to begin his career it wouldn't have been such an issue because he'd be the Prince to assume the throne once the King retires.
but since Manning was brought in to replace him as the starter and he had already been the starter it wouldn't have worked because the Tebowmaniacs would be too concerned with it being unfair that he got benched and call for him during games. there would have been a schism amongst the team and fans.

Rohirrim
05-03-2012, 11:02 AM
The consensus was he needed to sit for two years just like Oz needs to sit for two years.

Too bad he has such a huge, and rabid, following. I doubt any team could afford to sit him for two years. Way too big of a headache. No doubt, the Jets will run into the same issue.

alkemical
05-03-2012, 11:02 AM
Easy now... remember it was the FO that didn't want TT to work out so traded away players, didn't let him pass the ball on a weekly basis, came up with limited game plans.. it was all sabotage.

I <3 the beastie boys.

baja
05-03-2012, 11:03 AM
there were two issues with that, the Tebowmaniacs too concerned with him playing rather than developing and the epic fail of the starting QB ahead of him.

if he was behind Manning to begin his career it wouldn't have been such an issue because he'd be the Prince to assume the throne once the King retires.
but since Manning was brought in to replace him as the starter and he had already been the starter it wouldn't have worked because the Tebowmaniacs would be too concerned with it being unfair that he got benched and call for him during games. there would have been a schism amongst the team and fans.

I understand that but the fact remains he was forced to play before he was ready and did pretty damn good everything considered.

Rohirrim
05-03-2012, 11:04 AM
Fearless Predictions for 2012:

Wolfe: instant starter, won't have a great stat line but Dumerville and Miller will feast on sacks created by his pressure

Hillman: will split carries, but will have over 800 all-purpose yards his rookie year

Osweiler: will not have a single snap this year (and that's a good thing)

Blake: Swing back-up, but will not displace Beadles or Walton this year

Bolden: dime back, will be 4th or 5th in the CB rotation this year

Jackson: will log plenty of snaps in our Dline rotation

Trevathan: will make the roster while DJ Williams is on suspension, but I think he's on the bubble after that

UDFAs:

Eric Page: Makes the team, catches 20-30 balls this year and serves as our primary kick and punt returner

Jerry Franklin: Makes the team until DJ comes back, then sticks on the practice squad (unless he beats out Trevathan)

Duke Ihenacho: Makes the team, logs 10-15 tackles on special teams

Coryell Judie: Has a good chance of beating out Squid for the last CB spot on the team.

I disagree about Da Sqwyd. He's got a nose for the ball and a knack for the big play. That's an intangible. If he's 100%, I think he'll surprise.

baja
05-03-2012, 11:05 AM
Too bad he has such a huge, and rabid, following. I doubt any team could afford to sit him for two years. Way too big of a headache. No doubt, the Jets will run into the same issue.

Like said in Lestat's post above yours had he come in this year under Manning things would be much different.

Play2win
05-03-2012, 11:05 AM

And he has what Tebow never will have, the ability to develop– as a passer.

Agamemnon
05-03-2012, 11:07 AM
I doubt Steve Young had as much difficulty reading defenses and mastering a three step drop.

Hilarious!

Do you actually have any idea what Young was like back then? The stuff people say on these boards...

The dude threw 21 interceptions to 11 TDs and completed 54% of his passes over his two seasons with Tampa Bay. Do you think that indicates he could read defenses or had mastery of three step drops? Do you really?

Other than completion percentage, Tebow has been worlds better than Young so far, worlds better than Elway as well, but you keep living in your little fantasy world where everyone else can improve but not Tebow. Because two years of complete instability was enough time to develop right? ::)

BroncoBeavis

I wouldn't call it sabotage so much as two factors.

1. They thought the season was over.
2..They didn't believe in Tebow, and threw him out there in a 'lost season' in order to stop infuriating fans, thinking he wouldn't do much better, which would help free them to go a different direction in 2012.

And as a Shananahan disclaimer, I'm only saying this because people keep talking about how the team gave it their best shot and decided this wasn't going to win a Super Bowl. The truth is they weren't really in "Trying to Win a Super Bowl" mode.

They inarguably packed in the season in early October.

DBroncos4life
I understand that but the fact remains he was forced to play before he was ready and did pretty damn good everything considered.

The Jets sure as heck are not going to develop him right. The wild cat? A RB? A punt blocker? The idea to just get him on the field because he is a player is going to ruin his career.

Play2win
05-03-2012, 11:08 AM
Whose fault is that? Orton for failing or Tebows fans?

By all means, it could never actually be Tebow's fault. That's unthinkable!!!

Agamemnon
05-03-2012, 11:10 AM

Yeah all those improbable wins and the first playoff win for the Broncos in over half a decade were such a misery...

Lestat

i agree, but then when he wasn't developing in a more rapid manner the tag applied to him was the same that Rex Grossman,Kyle Orton,Joe Flacco,Mark Sanchez & others got after their development stalled a bit.

it doesn't matter about the stats, "he wins".
almost every time that tag gets applied to a QB he gets replaced if he doesn't ascend to the next level.

but back to draft talk and nothing but draft talk.
Osweiler is a project with franchise QB potential if he tunes into being a professional NFL QB and learns to hone his craft. he should be shadowing Manning and bugging him and Elway so much that they get sick of him and tell him to back off. first guy in, last guy out, always in the playbook, film room, weight room and around his teammates.

Play2win

Master?!? ha!! He couldn't even get a job in the mailroom.

baja
05-03-2012, 11:11 AM

Unfortunately this is something we will likely never know

Agamemnon
05-03-2012, 11:11 AM

Hilarious!

Agamemnon
05-03-2012, 11:12 AM
Unfortunately this is something we will likely never know

I have a funny feeling we will.

Play2win
05-03-2012, 11:13 AM

One guy can throw, one guy can't.

Rohirrim
05-03-2012, 11:13 AM
Hilarious!

Do you actually have any idea what Young was like back then? The stuff people say on these boards...

The dude threw 21 interceptions to 11 TDs and completed 54% of his passes over his two seasons with Tampa Bay. Do you think that indicates he could read defenses or had mastery of three step drops? Do you really?

Other than completion percentage, Tebow has been worlds better than Young so far, worlds better than Elway as well, but you keep living in your little fantasy world where everyone else can improve but not Tebow. Because two years of complete instability was enough time to develop right? ::)

That Tampa Bay team was one of the worst ever. Just because Young was a good runner, doesn't make him "like Tebow." Steve Young was one of the most accurate passers of all time. There's a reason Bill Walsh grabbed him as a Montana backup when he had the chance.

baja
05-03-2012, 11:14 AM
i agree, but then when he wasn't developing in a more rapid manner the tag applied to him was the same that Rex Grossman,Kyle Orton,Joe Flacco,Mark Sanchez & others got after their development stalled a bit.

almost every time that tag gets applied to a QB he gets replaced if he doesn't ascend to the next level.

Osweiler is a project with franchise QB potential if he tunes into being a professional NFL QB and learns to hone his craft. he should be shadowing Manning and bugging him and Elway so much that they get sick of him and tell him to back off. first guy in, last guy out, always in the playbook, film room, weight room and around his teammates.

LOL I derailed my own thread. Guess I'm still a TT homer ;D

DBroncos4life
05-03-2012, 11:14 AM

Remember all that talk about how much of a winner Orton was before he got to Denver? Those fans justified trading Cutler because he wasn't a winner like Orton. That talk died down real fast. :giggle:

Rohirrim
05-03-2012, 11:16 AM
Yeah all those improbable wins and the first playoff win for the Broncos in over half a decade were such a misery...

That kind of game plan wasn't sustainable. Even Steve Young said that. Like Elway said, Tebow had to become a pocket passer to succeed long term in the NFL. He believed that wasn't going to happen and traded him. Now the Jets are putting him in punt protection. What can I say?

baja
05-03-2012, 11:16 AM
One guy can throw, one guy can't.

where is old dude when we need him.

Rohirrim
05-03-2012, 11:17 AM
LOL I derailed my own thread. Guess I'm still a TT homer ;D

See what you did? Ha!

Bmore Manning
05-03-2012, 11:18 AM
Let's talk about position battles, depth chart, free agents who could be brought in. I am tired of the TT talk, I thought it wasn't supposed to be mentioned.. I don't want to see more bannings..

baja
05-03-2012, 11:18 AM
Let's talk about position battles, depth chart, free agents who could be brought in. I am tired of the TT talk, I thought it wasn't supposed to be mentioned.. I don't want to see more bannings..

ya do it

Play2win
05-03-2012, 11:20 AM
where is old dude when we need him.

My thoughts exactly :)

Rohirrim
05-03-2012, 11:21 AM

Well, the Jags just cut Drew Coleman. Why not bring him in? He could probably beat out two thirds of the CBs we have on the roster right now.

BroncoBeavis
05-03-2012, 11:22 AM
That Tampa Bay team was one of the worst ever. Just because Young was a good runner, doesn't make him "like Tebow." Steve Young by the end of his career was one of the most accurate passers of all time. There's a reason Bill Walsh grabbed him as a Montana backup when he had the chance.

FIFY.

BTW, Steve Young thinks Tebow can develop. But he wasn't a big fan of what Denver did with him because it delayed his development.

Rohirrim
05-03-2012, 11:22 AM
This from Scout:
Drew Coleman Profile

The Jacksonville Jaguars have cut veteran cornerback Drew Coleman.

Coleman, 29, played in every game last season after being signed to a three-year, $7.4 million contract after a previous stint with the New York Jets.

Coleman had 46 tackles, two interceptions, three forced fumbles and two last seasons for the Jaguars.

Coleman has 164 career tackles, four interceptions, eight sacks and nine forced fumbles.

Bmore Manning
05-03-2012, 11:25 AM
Well, the Jags just cut Drew Coleman. Why not bring him in? He could probably beat out two thirds of the CBs we have on the roster right now.

I'm hoping Denver can add a NT after team cuts. I don't think I would advocate another CB, I like Bolden to play the Nickel CB.

BroncoBeavis
05-03-2012, 11:26 AM
That kind of game plan wasn't sustainable. Even Steve Young said that. Like Elway said, Tebow had to become a pocket passer to succeed long term in the NFL. He believed that wasn't going to happen and traded him. Now the Jets are putting him in punt protection. What can I say?

Don't know what everyone's deal is with the punt protection thing They're not talking about it being a regular thing. Just a way to threaten a fake punt in certain situations.

They may never even do it. It's just good to see someone thinking outside the McCoy "between the hashmarks" box.

But even saying it in the press will have teams wasting time getting ready for it.

DBroncos4life
05-03-2012, 11:27 AM

I'm wondering what happens with Aaron Kampman with the Jags. High cap number not real productive and they drafted Branch. Also Thomas Davis from the Panthers. He has been hurt a ton and might be let go at sometime this offseason now that they drafted Luke Kuechly.

Lestat
05-03-2012, 11:28 AM
Remember all that talk about how much of a winner Orton was before he got to Denver? Those fans justified trading Cutler because he wasn't a winner like Orton. That talk died down real fast. :giggle:

with as good as that Bears defense was at the time, he should have done more than just win a few games. granted the offense sucked balls.

i'm still bitter about the Cutler trade so i'm not gonna go there. i was about to buy his jersey when he got dealt.

i think these past two drafts will do away with those bad memories though.
we need one more really strong draft behind these two to really build up the team and then i think it becomes more of a maintaining the roster and having the luxury of taking BPA regardless of position.

Agamemnon
05-03-2012, 11:30 AM

He's also their designated backup and they have plans to use him "up to 20 snaps a game" on offense. You people with your fixation on the punt protection thing are just ridiculous. They didn't bring him in to punt protect. If he's in on that formation it's to provide a dimension in terms of fakes.

It really is going to be funny if he ever fulfills the potential we all saw in so many fourth quarters last season. The way you people are going to squirm...

Bmore Manning
05-03-2012, 11:31 AM
I'm wondering what happens with Aaron Kampman with the Jags. High cap number not real productive and they drafted Branch. Also Thomas Davis from the Panthers. He has been hurt a ton and might be let go at sometime this offseason now that they drafted Luke Kuechly.

Kampan was a Stud when GB ran the 4-3, he hasn't been able to stay healthy or produce since. I think at veteran minimum I would kick the tires on him. But I am big on Malik Jackson pending on if he is gonna play UT or DE. I could see Davis being reunited with Fox. I'm not against any move that helps the team.

Lestat
05-03-2012, 11:31 AM

why would they let him go? they drafted Kuechly to shore up MLB and make it a huge strength. Connor was the MLB last year for them. Davis is a OLB Beason is a MLB but can play OLB and has in the past.

Anderson is a really good player but i don't see them letting Davis go to move Anderson into his spot. Davis wasn't exactly a cruddy player when he was healthy.

BroncoBeavis
05-03-2012, 11:34 AM
i'm still bitter about the Cutler trade so i'm not gonna go there. i was about to buy his jersey when he got dealt. .

You can have mine. :)

I was pretty pissed about Cutler myself. But then a few years before I thought Jake got the shaft. Maybe I'm just a QB loyalist.

Then again I was ready for BG to go, and I never liked Orton, although that may have been because of Jay.

Lestat
05-03-2012, 11:35 AM
I'm hoping Denver can add a NT after team cuts. I don't think I would advocate another CB, I like Bolden to play the Nickel CB.

i really don't think they want a true NT type. i think they want flexible guys who can switch schemes and play a hybrid 4-3 and 3-4 D.
you can see the guys they drafted and have on the team are all similar in scheme flexibility.

Wolfe is a DT who can play 4-3 or 3-4, same with Jackson, Warren,Bannan,Vickerson(though he's definitely a better 4-3 player) are all similar as well in teams of switching between 4-3 DT and 3-4 DE.

DBroncos4life
05-03-2012, 11:46 AM
why would they let him go? they drafted Kuechly to shore up MLB and make it a huge strength. Connor was the MLB last year for them. Davis is a OLB Beason is a MLB but can play OLB and has in the past.

Anderson is a really good player but i don't see them letting Davis go to move Anderson into his spot. Davis wasn't exactly a cruddy player when he was healthy.

Anderson has started the last three years and played really well. I don't see why they would need to to keep Davis around with the three LBs they will have starting. Beason at WLB , Kuechly at MLB, and Anderson at SLB. They need to keep Beason and Kuechly on the field and really have no room for Davis IMO.

Rohirrim
05-03-2012, 11:49 AM

All I care about is having the best guys. If Bolden couldn't take the position away from Coleman, then he plays backup. Bolden is a rookie, Coleman is a five year vet. He should be hitting his prime right now.

alkemical
05-03-2012, 11:53 AM
i really don't think they want a true NT type. i think they want flexible guys who can switch schemes and play a hybrid 4-3 and 3-4 D.
you can see the guys they drafted and have on the team are all similar in scheme flexibility.

Wolfe is a DT who can play 4-3 or 3-4, same with Jackson, Warren,Bannan,Vickerson(though he's definitely a better 4-3 player) are all similar as well in teams of switching between 4-3 DT and 3-4 DE.

Versatility rules the NFL these days.

Bmore Manning
05-03-2012, 11:55 AM
All I care about is having the best guys. If Bolden couldn't take the position away from Coleman, then he plays backup. Bolden is a rookie, Coleman is a five year vet. He should be hitting his prime right now.

Yeah, your right, I just want to win!

baja
05-03-2012, 11:59 AM
Anybody have news about the status of Warren's injury

Bmore Manning
05-03-2012, 11:59 AM

It's crazy that this team seems to have the personnel for a 3-4.
Wolfe, Jackson, Warren, Bannan all could be 5Techs. They would really only need a true plugger at NT. Doom and Miller outside, Mays and DJ inside, with DJ playing some outside on passing downs. While I'm not advocating that, because it's formation change after formation change, the personnel would certainly fit the part..

alkemical
05-03-2012, 12:00 PM
Anybody have news about the status of Warren's injury

Yes, he's old.

DBroncos4life
05-03-2012, 12:03 PM
Yes, he's old.

He is 31.

Lestat
05-03-2012, 12:06 PM
Anderson has started the last three years and played really well. I don't see why they would need to to keep Davis around with the three LBs they will have starting. Beason at WLB , Kuechly at MLB, and Anderson at SLB. They need to keep Beason and Kuechly on the field and really have no room for Davis IMO.

i just don't see them moving him or letting him go. Davis is a key cog to that defense and every time he's went down their D hasn't been the same.
but Davis has had 3 consecutive ACL tears so it remains to be seen if he can come back fully.

It's crazy that this team seems to have the personnel for a 3-4.
Wolfe, Jackson, Warren, Bannan all could be 5Techs. They would really only need a true plugger at NT. Doom and Miller outside, Mays and DJ inside, with DJ playing some outside on passing downs. While I'm not advocating that, because it's formation change after formation change, the personnel would certainly fit the part..

well we did some of that with Allen as the DC last year. we played 4-3 and 3-4 hybrid. i think we'll continue that and try to get to the passer more, we'll stop the run though not as much as we the fans will like.

alkemical
05-03-2012, 12:08 PM
He is 31.

That's like 230 yrs in football player years.

Bmore Manning
05-03-2012, 12:16 PM
I think that it will be mainly 4-3 looks with some Under and Over. Foxy and Rio are 4-3 guys, and why change the scheme now. And like u said the guys on this team are scheme diverse. The Jets cut their 6'8" 320 pound 5Tech run clogger...

well we did some of that with Allen as the DC last year. we played 4-3 and 3-4 hybrid. i think we'll continue that and try to get to the passer more, we'll stop the run though not as much as we the fans will like.[/QUOTE]

DBroncos4life
05-03-2012, 01:28 PM
i just don't see them moving him or letting him go. Davis is a key cog to that defense and every time he's went down their D hasn't been the same.
but Davis has had 3 consecutive ACL tears so it remains to be seen if he can come back fully.

well we did some of that with Allen as the DC last year. we played 4-3 and 3-4 hybrid. i think we'll continue that and try to get to the passer more, we'll stop the run though not as much as we the fans will like.
He was scheduled to get an 8 million dollar bonus but, I guess he restructured so he might stay after all.

DBroncos4life
05-03-2012, 01:29 PM
That's like 230 yrs in football player years.

Players play well into their 300s now days.

alkemical
05-03-2012, 01:40 PM
Players play well into their 300s now days.

Consarnit!

DBroncos4life
05-03-2012, 01:43 PM
Consarnit!

Yeah I had to google that. :giggle:

Bmore Manning
05-03-2012, 01:54 PM
I'll take Nick Collins to come be the starting FS in Denver. That would be a move I would want..

DBroncos4life
05-03-2012, 01:57 PM
I'll take Nick Collins to come be the starting FS in Denver. That would be a move I would want..

He is finished.

Lestat
05-03-2012, 04:42 PM
He was scheduled to get an 8 million dollar bonus but, I guess he restructured so he might stay after all.

he did that in March. hence why i was arguing the point why they wouldn't get rid of him. it would make no sense and if he stays healthy that greatly improves their D. Davis,Kuechly & Beason is a significant LB corps.

DBroncos4life
05-03-2012, 04:59 PM
he did that in March. hence why i was arguing the point why they wouldn't get rid of him. it would make no sense and if he stays healthy that greatly improves their D. Davis,Kuechly & Beason is a significant LB corps.

James Anderson isn't losing his job and they did resign Senn who is a pretty good back up as well. Seems like they will have a lock jam at LB with Davis IMO. I doubt Davis has much left in his leg anyways.

shalowlow
05-03-2012, 05:18 PM
I find the suggestions that Bolden will replace Harris as Nickel Cornerback odd.

Maybe I don't realize what we have in Bolden, but I have not seen a Nickel play the position on this team as well as Harris played it in a LONG, LONG time.

A great tackler, and eye for the ball, good instincts, and a chip on his shoulder. Have we already forgotten?

Rohirrim
05-03-2012, 05:25 PM
I find the suggestions that Bolden will replace Harris as Nickel Cornerback odd.

Maybe I don't realize what we have in Bolden, but I have not seen a Nickel play the position on this team as well as Harris played it in a LONG, LONG time.

A great tackler, and eye for the ball, good instincts, and a chip on his shoulder. Have we already forgotten?

Bolden is shiny and new. ;D

I agree. Bolden will have his work cut out for him.

Lestat
05-03-2012, 05:32 PM

Bolden's talent level if healthy is at the very least a quality #2 CB, if he's healthy and develops rapidly he's the heir apparent to Champ as the man at CB. so the assumption that he would take over for Harris is a potentially valid one.
of course CB's in general take a little bit of time to mature and develop into a really good player. most get torched in their first 2 seasons or so until they fully learn the nuances at CB, how to read the WR, the QB, the proper coverage assignments and how to bait a QB.

James Anderson isn't losing his job and they did resign Senn who is a pretty good back up as well. Seems like they will have a lock jam at LB with Davis IMO. I doubt Davis has much left in his leg anyways.

he may not supplant Anderson but assuming he's healthy i don't see how you can keep him off the field, Kuechly starts at MLB, Beason slides to OLB like he has in the past when Davis was hurt and the last spot is between Anderson and Davis. if Davis is healthy and returns to form he's not getting cut or benched. so Anderson is the odd man out unless you run a pure 3-4.

TheReverend
05-03-2012, 05:41 PM
Bolden is shiny and new. ;D

I agree. Bolden will have his work cut out for him.

Doubt it. I'm a big Harris guy but if Bolden's really healthy and back to form, he'll kick some ass.

This was our best draft pick, imo.

By a large margin.

Rohirrim
05-03-2012, 07:49 PM
Doubt it. I'm a big Harris guy but if Bolden's really healthy and back to form, he'll kick some ass.

This was our best draft pick, imo.

By a large margin.

Yeah, but we could have had Janoris. :puff:

TheReverend
05-03-2012, 08:17 PM

Did this post come with a point or no?

Requiem
05-03-2012, 08:20 PM
It is hate on Patrick Turley day.

pricejj
05-03-2012, 09:18 PM
Derek Wolfe interview (Evans and Klatt Hour 3 5/2/12, starts at 30:00)

On expectations - "They want me to produce, make sure nothing changes and just produce."

"Every snap that I line up, I try to think I'm going to get a sack."

"You're gonna get everything I got. I'm gonna work hard to try to bring a championship to the city."

"I try to play with a chip on my shoulder, no matter what. I'm always going to find something in a situation that turns me into the underdog...and If I can't find anything, I'm going to resort back to my past. I don't dwell on my past, but I use it to motivate me."

Lestat
05-03-2012, 09:54 PM
Derek Wolfe interview (Evans and Klatt Hour 3 5/2/12, starts at 30:00)

On expectations - "They want me to produce, make sure nothing changes and just produce."

"Every snap that I line up, I try to think I'm going to get a sack."

"You're gonna get everything I got. I'm gonna work hard to try to bring a championship to the city."

"I try to play with a chip on my shoulder, no matter what. I'm always going to find something in a situation that turns me into the underdog...and If I can't find anything, I'm going to resort back to my past. I don't dwell on my past, but I use it to motivate me."
tell him to join the mane and read what some said about him being picked.
if that doesn't motivate him, nothing will.

love this kid though, high motor, always after it and high compete level.

a love for weed is fine, but when it gets in the way of your god given talent and affects your potential to make a very goof living i have to question your sanity.

TonyR
05-04-2012, 07:08 AM
Hadn't seen this cauldron of negativity about the draft posted yet...

...It was a tough first day in the draft for the Broncos. They were hoping that Dontari Poe, Michael Brockers or Dre Kirkpatrick would fall into their laps. BAM – Poe gone to the Chiefs at 11! BANG – Brockers gone to the Rams with the next pick! KABOOM – Kirkpatrick gone to the Bengals with the 17th pick. What the hell just happened?!?! Okay, okay, don’t sweat it; nobody will take our sneak first rounder.

SHAMALAMADINGDONG – the Steelers, one pick in front of the Broncos, snatch David DeCastro.

WHAT WHAT WHAT ? ? ?

Desperation.

Trade the pick back to 31 and reload. SHUT UP!!! I know we are helping the Patriots get better. It doesn’t matter – we’re gonna get our best running back – Doug Martin at 31!

Phone rings.

Tampa Bay wants to move up. The Broncos will get 36. Okay, not as much money – do it – we can probably now get a steal on Doug.

SMASH!!!!! TAMPA TAKES MARTIN!!!!

Why I oughta…

A dejected Elway that night explained there was a slight disagreement in the room during the first round. No kidding. You just spent a year prepping for your first pick and you got rolled five times! Five times! FIVE TIMES!!!! Including on a freakin’ guard!

Goodnight, nurse, we’ll check in tomorrow.

The next day, we found out about Derek Wolfe, who apparently was shoveling pig sh@&% the morning he was drafted. But, he’s not the real story. Wolfe will compete with pending first round bust Robert Ayers on the d-line, but it was the Broncos’ second pick of the day that will define this draft and possibly Elway as a true quarterback evaluator.

Big Brock Osweiler.

You see Wolfe was the fourth-best option at d-tackle. Ronnie Hillman may very well have been the second running back choice. I have no idea where Omar Bolden fits into the plans. Maybe he makes the team – maybe not. Phillip Baker is now our second offensive lineman who can ice skate as he is a 27-year-old rookie originally from Canada. (Baker and Franklin on the blue line is pretty imposing – take notes AVS). Then, the Broncos drafted two guys who will be lucky to even be around enough to be ignored. The only player that was truly tops on their board was Osweiler...

The rest is here:
http://www.milehighsports.com/?p=9939

alkemical
05-04-2012, 07:17 AM
I just don't see Ayers as a "bust".

Lestat
05-04-2012, 09:08 AM
Hadn't seen this cauldron of negativity about the draft posted yet...

...It was a tough first day in the draft for the Broncos. They were hoping that Dontari Poe, Michael Brockers or Dre Kirkpatrick would fall into their laps. BAM – Poe gone to the Chiefs at 11! BANG – Brockers gone to the Rams with the next pick! KABOOM – Kirkpatrick gone to the Bengals with the 17th pick. What the hell just happened?!?! Okay, okay, don’t sweat it; nobody will take our sneak first rounder.

SHAMALAMADINGDONG – the Steelers, one pick in front of the Broncos, snatch David DeCastro.

WHAT WHAT WHAT ? ? ?

Desperation.

Trade the pick back to 31 and reload. SHUT UP!!! I know we are helping the Patriots get better. It doesn’t matter – we’re gonna get our best running back – Doug Martin at 31!

Phone rings.

Tampa Bay wants to move up. The Broncos will get 36. Okay, not as much money – do it – we can probably now get a steal on Doug.

SMASH!!!!! TAMPA TAKES MARTIN!!!!

Why I oughta…

A dejected Elway that night explained there was a slight disagreement in the room during the first round. No kidding. You just spent a year prepping for your first pick and you got rolled five times! Five times! FIVE TIMES!!!! Including on a freakin’ guard!

Goodnight, nurse, we’ll check in tomorrow.

The next day, we found out about Derek Wolfe, who apparently was shoveling pig sh@&% the morning he was drafted. But, he’s not the real story. Wolfe will compete with pending first round bust Robert Ayers on the d-line, but it was the Broncos’ second pick of the day that will define this draft and possibly Elway as a true quarterback evaluator.

Big Brock Osweiler.

You see Wolfe was the fourth-best option at d-tackle. Ronnie Hillman may very well have been the second running back choice. I have no idea where Omar Bolden fits into the plans. Maybe he makes the team – maybe not. Phillip Baker is now our second offensive lineman who can ice skate as he is a 27-year-old rookie originally from Canada. (Baker and Franklin on the blue line is pretty imposing – take notes AVS). Then, the Broncos drafted two guys who will be lucky to even be around enough to be ignored. The only player that was truly tops on their board was Osweiler...

The rest is here:
http://www.milehighsports.com/?p=9939

KABOOM the Rams picked #14 and wanted Floyd then took Brockers. if a writer is gonna hate then get at least the facts right.

BroncoBeavis
05-04-2012, 09:11 AM
I just don't see Ayers as a "bust".

Seconded

Heyneck
05-04-2012, 09:14 AM
talking about busts... Worthy has bust written all over him.

Packers second-round draft pick Jerel Worthy has heard he takes plays off, he's an underachiever, he tires easily and he dogs it according to Rob Reischel of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel (http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/2-te56n4h-149757445.html).

Worthy won't even argue. What Worthy does insist, though, is he's striving to be more dependable, something he'll be given every chance to do in Green Bay.

"The film speaks for itself," said Worthy, who left Michigan State after his junior year. "People criticize and say I may take a play off here or there; there's nobody in the NFL game today or college or all the way down to pee-wee who plays every play full speed, full-go without getting tired. It's impossible.

"All I can say is I'm going to come in and try to continue to work to be a lot more consistent, and I'm going to be a lot more consistent. That's going to be my goal. The plays that showed up in the highlight tape, that's the same plays that I'm going to transfer up to the NFL and do it on a consistent basis."

http://theredzone.org/BlogDescription/tabid/61/EntryId/26019/Jerel-Worthy-says-he-takes-plays-off--just-like-everyone-else/Default.aspx

Bmore Manning
05-04-2012, 09:20 AM
I think I led the dont draft Worthy campaign...

TonyR
05-04-2012, 09:24 AM
IAOFM comments on the article I posted above (post #145):

D-Mac's column is a difficult read, what with the rapid, unannounced jumps between fact, speculation and opinion, and his frequent run-ins with the CAPS LOCK key. Yet it's no surprise to us that Pittsburgh's selection of David DeCastro prompted Denver's first move down the board, and D-Mac's sloppy retelling casts clear doubts upon EFX's claims that they had A) stuck to their plan B) gotten precisely whom they'd intended C) not screwed up the draft.

Here's what it comes down to: if you're going to trade back, priority #1 is to still land the player you'd intended, and barring that, you'd best get a commensurate return, meaning more than simply improving your position in the middle of the draft. Denver entered with seven picks and departed the with seven players, and if we're to believe McKee's take, the only time Denver got their guy was also the only time they used their own choice.

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/prime-cuts/slice/d-mac-broncos-targeted-decastro-at-25-whiffed-on-martin-with-trade-back

Heyneck
05-04-2012, 09:46 AM
IAOFM comments on the article I posted above (post #145):

D-Mac's column is a difficult read, what with the rapid, unannounced jumps between fact, speculation and opinion, and his frequent run-ins with the CAPS LOCK key. Yet it's no surprise to us that Pittsburgh's selection of David DeCastro prompted Denver's first move down the board, and D-Mac's sloppy retelling casts clear doubts upon EFX's claims that they had A) stuck to their plan B) gotten precisely whom they'd intended C) not screwed up the draft.

Here's what it comes down to: if you're going to trade back, priority #1 is to still land the player you'd intended, and barring that, you'd best get a commensurate return, meaning more than simply improving your position in the middle of the draft. Denver entered with seven picks and departed the with seven players, and if we're to believe McKee's take, the only time Denver got their guy was also the only time they used their own choice.

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/prime-cuts/slice/d-mac-broncos-targeted-decastro-at-25-whiffed-on-martin-with-trade-back

Interesting... but I don't buy it. I remember watching the draft on ESPN that day... and when Pitt was on the clock, the draft tracker showed that we had traded out prior to Pitt announcing their pick. We traded that pick while Pitt was on the clock. I think we targeted Brockers, Poe and Kirk. Once those where off the board...

CEH
05-04-2012, 09:49 AM
Interesting... but I don't buy it. I remember watching the draft on ESPN that day... and when Pitt was on the clock, the draft tracker showed that we had traded out prior to Pitt announcing their pick. We traded that pick while Pitt was on the clock. I think we targeted Brockers, Poe and Kirk. Once those where off the board...

Teams get the pick way before TV. It probably took Pitts a millisecond to take DeCastro even though it took time to announce

Denver if smart would have had the trade in place if the player they wanted was off the board

Heyneck
05-04-2012, 09:56 AM
Teams get the pick way before TV. It probably took Pitts a millisecond to take DeCastro even though it took time to announce

Denver if smart would have had the trade in place if the player they wanted was off the board

Yes it probably took Pitt a millisecond to turn the pick in... but the pick is not announced until the buzzer rings telling that in fact the a pick is in. Denver made the trade before this happened.

Hercules Rockefeller
05-04-2012, 10:38 AM
Yes it probably took Pitt a millisecond to turn the pick in... but the pick is not announced until the buzzer rings telling that in fact the a pick is in. Denver made the trade before this happened.

It was in the background at one point on ESPN, but you could see that Pittsburgh was officially on the clock before Goddell announced the first Pats' pick when they'd traded up to 22.

So while the draft tracker at the bottom of the screen claimed that it was only Pick 22, in reality, the draft was already on pick 24. I wouldn't be so sure that Denver traded out before they were on the clock when the draft was proceeding much slower on TV than it was in reality.

And it happend multiple times in the 1st round where the teams were picks ahead of what we were seeing on TV.

Lestat
05-04-2012, 10:41 AM

no they didn't the Lions and Steelers took like 2 minutes combined to be on the clock and then the ESPN ticker flash that the pick was in.
they didn't make the trade until after they knew DeCastro was gone.

CEH
05-04-2012, 10:47 AM

Forget the TV. Logically who do you think knows the pick is in first the NFL teams or the TV broadcast. Doesn't make sense that the others teams know at or after the TV guys

Hercules Rockefeller
05-04-2012, 10:59 AM
Supposedly back in '99, it took the Colts all of about a minute to turn in their pick and take Edge over Ricky, but the pick wasn't announced on TV until just before the Colts time expired because ESPN wanted to "speculate" for 15 minutes about who the Colts were going to take.

alkemical
05-04-2012, 11:35 AM
Supposedly back in '99, it took the Colts all of about a minute to turn in their pick and take Edge over Ricky, but the pick wasn't announced on TV until just before the Colts time expired because ESPN wanted to "speculate" for 15 minutes about who the Colts were going to take.

Ding!

TV is not reality.

Shananahan
05-04-2012, 11:42 AM
Reality is what you can get away with.

alkemical
05-04-2012, 12:14 PM
Reality is what you can get away with.

:D

TonyR
05-04-2012, 02:25 PM
D-Mizzle (fo’ shizzle) has been pushing this theory (?) that the Broncos intended to take RB Doug Martin at #36 when they traded the 31st-overall pick to the Buccaneers ever since Night 1 of the Draft. The Bucs then used that 31st pick to take Martin. This makes no sense, for a couple of reasons:

1. You wouldn't trade the pick without knowing who Tampa was coming up for, simply as a risk management measure. If I’m considering trading down five spots with a certain player in mind, I want to know who is prospectively being picked at the spot I’m leaving, because that means that I have confidence that there are only four teams who can take my guy, as opposed to all five. Asking who the trade-up target is should be standard practice.

2. Tampa isn’t obligated to tell the Broncos who they’re picking, but the Broncos aren’t obligated to trade the pick to them either. If the Bucs lied, they’d quickly get the reputation of being bad-faith dealers, and nobody would want to do business with them in the future. Look at how the Bears having screwed up the Draft Day trade with the Ravens two years ago has stuck with their reputation. Lack of integrity is arguably worse than lack of competence.

This theory just doesn’t pass the smell test to me, and I highly doubt that there’s anything to it, past speculation. Even if the Broncos did miss out on their preferred guy by going to #36, that certainly doesn’t equate to the notion that the entire draft exercise was a failure.

OK, Darren says they wanted DT Dontari Poe, DT Michael Brockers, or CB Dre Kirkpatrick as their most-preferred options. I can buy that, but I would have put a 20% probability on any of the three players making it to #25. I'm the opposite of shocked that it didn't happen. Then, D-Mac leaps into a statement that OG David DeCastro became the next target. Who knows where he gets that from, but that’s what he says.

DeCastro was also widely expected to be picked more highly than where the Steelers got him at #24, so I highly doubt that the Broncos were ever planning to see him get to them, until he almost did. Then there’s the Martin theory. Add this up, and somehow

“You got rolled five times! Five times! FIVE TIMES!!!! Including on a freakin’ guard!”

Except that the first four were picked by teams ahead of the Broncos, and only the highly speculative fifth was somebody they could have actually gotten at their own original draft spot. In other words, not getting Poe, Brockers, Kirkpatrick, or DeCastro isn’t getting rolled. Assuming those are actually the players the Broncos liked, it’s some combination of not wanting to, and not being able to trade up to get them.

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/why-you-shouldnt-listen-to-radio-guys