PDA

View Full Version : The Broncos now have one of the five best one-two punches at tight end in football.

Bronco Rob
05-02-2012, 08:00 AM
Which NFL Teams Got Better This Offseason?

By Bill Barnwell on May 1, 2012 1:52 PM ET

Denver Broncos

Hole Filled: Tight End

Yeah, replacing Tim Tebow with Peyton Manning was probably a pretty big upgrade, too, but let's focus on some of the other work that Denver did this offseason. While Daniel Fells and Dante Rosario exhibited the bizarre ability to suddenly turn into Shannon Sharpe in his prime during the final drives of Tebow-led comebacks, they were limited as receivers and would never have flourished in a Manning-led passing attack. While they were linked to Dallas Clark as part of the great Indianapolis Immigration Act of 2012, the Broncos were smart enough to pass on the aging, injury-prone Clark and instead opt for Jacob Tamme. While Tamme is another ex-Colt, he's one of the few members of the Manning offense who isn't past his prime and might actually flourish in his new digs. Denver also made a nice investment by adding Joel Dreessen, who's consistently been an effective, efficient player behind Owen Daniels in Houston. Even if the Broncos hadn't added Manning, signing Tamme and Dreessen would have been a wise move; by doing so, the Broncos now have one of the five best one-two punches at tight end in football.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/25557/which-nfl-teams-got-better-this-offseason

schaaf
05-02-2012, 08:17 AM
I look for Dreessen to be the starter with Tamme being a 1B option. We finally have some quality Tight Ends again.

Dr. Broncenstein
05-02-2012, 08:18 AM
Hole filled: tight end

Gort
05-02-2012, 08:18 AM
this thread sounds ghey.

Man-Goblin
05-02-2012, 08:23 AM
uh huh huh heh heh. He said hole.

Bronco Rob
05-02-2012, 08:23 AM
this thread sounds ghey.

BroncoInferno
05-02-2012, 08:30 AM
Orange Julius is the wild-card here. If he can step up his game, we'll probably be only 2nd only to New England at the position.

Dr. Broncenstein
05-02-2012, 08:33 AM
uh huh huh heh heh. He said hole.

Huh huh huh... Hooooole.

Popcorn Sutton
05-02-2012, 08:35 AM
I do like our tandem of tight ends.

Gort
05-02-2012, 08:37 AM
this thread needs cheerleaders.

http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/random-old-photos-30.jpg

wait. ummm... no... that won't work either...

Dr. Broncenstein
05-02-2012, 08:39 AM
That one cheerleader is built funny.

UberBroncoMan
05-02-2012, 09:00 AM
I don't get the hoopla over our signed TE's. They're solid but hardly stars. Jacob Tamme didn't exactly light up the world when Manning throw him the ball the way Gronk did with Brady, or Gates with Rivers, etc.

Bronco Boy
05-02-2012, 09:05 AM
I don't get the hoopla over our signed TE's. They're solid but hardly stars. Jacob Tamme didn't exactly light up the world when Manning throw him the ball the way Gronk did with Brady, or Gates with Rivers, etc.

So you're upset that we didn't sign one of the top 2 tight ends in all of football. Got it.

enjolras
05-02-2012, 09:05 AM
Orange Julius is the wild-card here. If he can step up his game, we'll probably be only 2nd only to New England at the position.

Thomas is going to be best pure pass catching tight-end on the team. He was seriously hampered by injury last year. The kid has a ton of talent.

TonyR
05-02-2012, 09:10 AM
Jacob Tamme didn't exactly light up the world when Manning throw him the ball...

67-631-4 in 2010 with Manning. Far better than anything we've gotten out of the position the last few years. Add Dreessen's 28-353-6 as a backup in Houston last year and that's some decent production.

BroncoBeavis
05-02-2012, 09:20 AM
So you're upset that we didn't sign one of the top 2 tight ends in all of football. Got it.

Dude, look at Tamme's numbers last year. Hope is one thing. Acting like elderly Dallas Clark's backup from last year is suddenly a pro-bowler is something else.

Fells had more catches and yards than him last year.

Maybe he'll turn a corner, but this homerism is getting crazy.

TonyR
05-02-2012, 09:22 AM
Dude, look at Tamme's numbers last year.

See the post right above yours. His numbers with Manning are probably more of an indicator of what he's capable of.

outdoor_miner
05-02-2012, 09:27 AM
Dude, look at Tamme's numbers last year. Hope is one thing. Acting like elderly Dallas Clark's backup from last year is suddenly a pro-bowler is something else.

So Bill Barnwell is a homer?

BroncoBeavis
05-02-2012, 09:27 AM
See the post right above yours. His numbers with Manning are probably more of an indicator of what he's capable of.

Yeah, I see what you're saying. But having Peyton throw some numbers your way doesn't make you part of an elite TE corps. He wasn't really outpacing Clark's numbers before he got hurt. One other interesting thing is that Peyton only seemed to feed one TE. Tamme didn't have a single catch until game 7 that year, because Clark got hurt in game 6.

Makes it look like there's no such thing as a TE Tandem when it comes to Peyton.

BroncoBeavis
05-02-2012, 09:31 AM
So Bill Barnwell is a homer?

I'm on board with most of what he said until the last 1-2 punch thing. That doesn't smell right.

Peyton had both Tamme and Clark together for 3 years. The only time Tamme did anything was when Clark was injured.

lolcopter
05-02-2012, 09:31 AM

Dude, look at Tamme's QB last year

Last sentence is especially funny coming from you

JLesSPE
05-02-2012, 09:33 AM
Yeah, I see what you're saying. But having Peyton throw some numbers your way doesn't make you part of an elite TE corps. He wasn't really outpacing Clark's numbers before he got hurt. One other interesting thing is that Peyton only seemed to feed one TE. Tamme didn't have a single catch until game 7 that year, because Clark got hurt in game 6.

Makes it look like there's no such thing as a TE Tandem when it comes to Peyton.

I don't remember what article it was in...maybe in a press conference IDK but Peyton was talking about combining his offensive philosophies with the Denver coaching staff. It'd be pretty cool if when they combine the best of what they all know they buck a lot of Peyton's trends while still being successful.

TonyR
05-02-2012, 09:39 AM

The Indy offense doesn't substitute very much. So the starters will get most of the run and therefore most of the numbers. That's why, assuming we run our offense the way Manning did in Indy, I think Ronnie Hillman could end up being the primary RB.

mwill07
05-02-2012, 10:10 AM
67-631-4 in 2010 with Manning.

in 10 games. Tamme didn't really get going until Clark went down.

Over the last 10 games of the season, Tamme averaged 6.7 catches for 63 yards and 0.4 TD's. That pro-rates to 107/1010/6.4

That sounds pretty good to me.

Lestat
05-02-2012, 10:13 AM
production out of the TE's is huge this year, but i think that it's less important than in Indy. the reason being the WR's we have are bigger, stronger and about as fast as his WR corps in Indy so they can likely get more balls thrown to them in "tricky" situations and still make a play.

i think Tamme will mostly be the slot and receiving TE while Dreessen will be the complete TE, the consistent starter and the most involved guy in the offense on a down by down basis.

UberBroncoMan
05-02-2012, 10:14 AM

Never remotely said that.

All I'm saying is that we have one solid TE in Dreessen and a possible quality TE in Tamme. Nothing really "amazing" about them coming into the season. They may become stars, but atm I don't think top 5 is something to spout.

I'm more interested in seeing of Thomas can emerge as the stud TE he was in training camp last year.

If he does I could see Tamme going into a reserve role.

lolcopter
05-02-2012, 10:18 AM
Never remotely said that.

All I'm saying is that we have one solid TE in Dreessen and a possible quality TE in Tamme. Nothing really "amazing" about them coming into the season. They may become stars, but atm I don't think top 5 is something to spout.

I'm more interested in seeing of Thomas can emerge as the stud TE he was in training camp last year.

If he does I could see Tamme going into a reserve role.

You really haven't watched tamme play all that much, have you?

He was the heir apparent to Dallas Clark and he looks fully capable of living up to that

Bronco Rob
05-02-2012, 10:36 AM
You really haven't watched tamme play all that much, have you?

He was the heir apparent to Dallas Clark and he looks fully capable of living up to that

:strong:

TonyR
05-02-2012, 11:13 AM
I look for Dreessen to be the starter with Tamme being a 1B option.

I would expect just the opposite.

BroncoInferno
05-02-2012, 11:34 AM
I would expect just the opposite.

The better blocker is usually the starter, and that's Dreesen. I imagine they will be on the field at the same time a good deal, though.

TonyR
05-02-2012, 11:48 AM
The better blocker is usually the starter...

Could be but I'm not certain that's the case in this offense. I doubt Dallas Clark was known for his blocking, and then Tamme took over for him when he went down. But I'm only speculating here, I don't know for sure.

DENVERDUI55
05-02-2012, 12:10 PM

7 catches a game and 600 plus yards is pretty good for the 10 games they started together is pretty impressive.

mwill07
05-02-2012, 12:39 PM
in 10 games. Tamme didn't really get going until Clark went down.

Over the last 10 games of the season, Tamme averaged 6.7 catches for 63 yards and 0.4 TD's. That pro-rates to 107/1010/6.4

That sounds pretty good to me.

BTW: These are Jason Witten type numbers, for comparison sake.

I'm still not convinced this gives us one of the best 1-2 punches in the league, but combined with Virgil Green & Julius Thomas, we may have one of the best 1-2-3-4 punches.

Mogulseeker
05-02-2012, 12:51 PM
Which NFL Teams Got Better This Offseason?

By Bill Barnwell on May 1, 2012 1:52 PM ET

Denver Broncos

Hole Filled: Tight End

Yeah, replacing Tim Tebow with Peyton Manning was probably a pretty big upgrade, too, but let's focus on some of the other work that Denver did this offseason. While Daniel Fells and Dante Rosario exhibited the bizarre ability to suddenly turn into Shannon Sharpe in his prime during the final drives of Tebow-led comebacks, they were limited as receivers and would never have flourished in a Manning-led passing attack. While they were linked to Dallas Clark as part of the great Indianapolis Immigration Act of 2012, the Broncos were smart enough to pass on the aging, injury-prone Clark and instead opt for Jacob Tamme. While Tamme is another ex-Colt, he's one of the few members of the Manning offense who isn't past his prime and might actually flourish in his new digs. Denver also made a nice investment by adding Joel Dreessen, who's consistently been an effective, efficient player behind Owen Daniels in Houston. Even if the Broncos hadn't added Manning, signing Tamme and Dreessen would have been a wise move; by doing so, the Broncos now have one of the five best one-two punches at tight end in football.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/25557/which-nfl-teams-got-better-this-offseason

Very poorly-written article. There is wrong subject-verb agreement, singular-plural agreement.... immigration implies an influx of people - it should be "emigration."

Most middle schoolers write better than this.

Bronco Boy
05-02-2012, 01:32 PM
Very poorly-written article. There is wrong subject-verb agreement, singular-plural agreement.... immigration implies an influx of people - it should be "emigration."

American middle schoolers? Doubtful.

Bronco Rob
05-02-2012, 04:13 PM

By Bill Barnwell

broncswin
05-02-2012, 09:04 PM

Why is robin Williams in a cheerleaders uniform

Bacchus
05-02-2012, 09:08 PM

Rep for the Mork sighting!

Agamemnon
05-03-2012, 12:10 AM
This thread is so full of homerism it's ridiculous.

We have a solid TE corps, not an elite one. You people need to get a grip.

cutthemdown
05-03-2012, 12:56 AM
I look for Dreessen to be the starter with Tamme being a 1B option. We finally have some quality Tight Ends again.

Dressen will play inline, and Tamme will mostly move around in the slots.

cutthemdown
05-03-2012, 12:59 AM
Why is robin Williams in a cheerleaders uniform

Bad TV