PDA

View Full Version : Jabar Gaffney cut

TheReverend
05-01-2012, 08:00 AM
Jabar Gaffney cut

https://twitter.com/#!/ProFootballTalk

Kaylore
05-01-2012, 08:01 AM
Shanahan still got better value than we did in that trade.

Beantown Bronco
05-01-2012, 08:02 AM
Sign him. Yesterday.

TheReverend
05-01-2012, 08:03 AM
Shanahan still got better value than we did in that trade.

In b4 Jarmon all-pros it!

TheReverend
05-01-2012, 08:03 AM
Sign him. Yesterday.

Yesterday is when we needed him!

jhns
05-01-2012, 08:06 AM
He did pretty good last season. Why did Shanahan replace him?

TheElusiveKyleOrton
05-01-2012, 08:11 AM
Maybe he refused to give up #10 for RG3.

vancejohnson82
05-01-2012, 08:12 AM
could have really used him last year at times...

scorpio
05-01-2012, 08:19 AM
He could break off 2k in our system

Crushaholic
05-01-2012, 08:22 AM
Maybe he refused to give up #10 for RG3.

Now, THAT is an interesting theory...:ouwknow:

Stagger Lee
05-01-2012, 08:22 AM
Nice avatar Rev. Rep.

TheReverend
05-01-2012, 08:27 AM

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/redskins-release-jabar-gaffney/2012/05/01/gIQAZBG9tT_blog.html

“I don’t know what happened,” he added. “Last year, I did everything I was asked, and ended up leading the receivers in every category. Leaving at the end of the season, I was their guy, and even after they made these deals to bring in Garcon and Morgan, I was told I was still in their plans. I just took the signings as moves to make our receiver unit deeper. This is all confusing to me.”

Gaffney was due to earn $2.65 million in 2012, but he said he would be willing to restructure his contract if it helped his chances of remaining in Washington.

Beantown Bronco
05-01-2012, 08:31 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/redskins-release-jabar-gaffney/2012/05/01/gIQAZBG9tT_blog.html

“I don’t know what happened,” he added. “Last year, I did everything I was asked, and ended up leading the receivers in every category. Leaving at the end of the season, I was their guy, and even after they made these deals to bring in Garcon and Morgan, I was told I was still in their plans. I just took the signings as moves to make our receiver unit deeper. This is all confusing to me.”

Gaffney was due to earn $2.65 million in 2012, but he said he would be willing to restructure his contract if it helped his chances of remaining in Washington.

He must've slept with Shanny's wife or daughter. There's no other explanation, even if he WASN"T willing to restructure. Two mil is nothing for a WR that produces and is an anti-diva. A rarity these days.

jhns
05-01-2012, 08:35 AM
He must've slept with Shanny's wife or daughter. There's no other explanation, even if he WASN"T willing to restructure. Two mil is nothing for a WR that produces and is an anti-diva. A rarity these days.

I was thinking he hit on Chris Simms and Kyle got jealous/angry.

vancejohnson82
05-01-2012, 08:35 AM

seriously, this is a strange twist....its not like they brought in All Pros or anything either...Garcon and Morgan are nice complements, but it definitely doesn't make their WR unit special

BroncoBeavis
05-01-2012, 08:36 AM
seriously, this is a strange twist....its not like they brought in All Pros or anything either...Garcon and Morgan are nice complements, but it definitely doesn't make their WR unit special

Surprised Shanny didn't call up and try to take Wolfe off our hands.

Tombstone RJ
05-01-2012, 08:39 AM

Hey Jabar, it's Mike Shanahan. He does stupid things like sign really bad FAs and let good vets go (see Shannon Sharpe). His ego runs the show, get used to it.

long beach bronco
05-01-2012, 08:39 AM
Gaffney was pretty good with below average QB's throwing him the ball, (Orton, Grossman, Beck) just imagine if he had Peyton throwing to him. I wouldn't mind bringing him back here but it is just too crowded.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
05-01-2012, 08:41 AM
I wonder if it had anything to do with his Twitter rants a couple weeks ago:

LINK (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/18503615/jabar-gaffneys-unhinged-twitter-rant-goes-after-his-wife-lito-sheppard)

montrose
05-01-2012, 08:43 AM
FYI, Jeremy Jarmon remains a member of the Broncos roster.

Beantown Bronco
05-01-2012, 08:44 AM
I wouldn't mind bringing him back here but it is just too crowded.

That's what most here said after we cut him. Only to find out it really wasn't all that crowded after the annual WR injury bug hit us hard.

orange crusher
05-01-2012, 08:49 AM
FYI, Jeremy Jarmon remains a member of the Broncos roster.

...but still has not been on the roster for a regular season game.

BroncoBeavis
05-01-2012, 08:55 AM
That's what most here said after we cut him. Only to find out it really wasn't all that crowded after the annual WR injury bug hit us hard.

If the dude's flexible with his numbers, I'd say bring him back, loaded with incentives.

TonyR
05-01-2012, 09:01 AM
Between this and the Cousins pick, you start to wonder a little about the decision making in Potomac River drainage basin...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/30/kirk-cousins-thought-hed-back-up-a-veteran-like-peyton-or-vick/

vancejohnson82
05-01-2012, 09:18 AM

LINK (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/18503615/jabar-gaffneys-unhinged-twitter-rant-goes-after-his-wife-lito-sheppard)

wow....thats random....a vendetta against Lito Sheppard????

socalorado
05-01-2012, 09:38 AM
Who would you rather have?
Andre Caldwell or Jabar Gaffney?
And no, you cant say both.

Beantown Bronco
05-01-2012, 09:42 AM
Gaffney, and it's not even close IMO.

CEH
05-01-2012, 09:56 AM
wow....thats random....a vendetta against Lito Sheppard????

I believe 100% it has to do with his twitter rant. Shanny hates for players to discuss thier dirty laundry in public. Foxy was in Shanny's doghouse for just having a radio gig that promoted college education

razorwire77
05-01-2012, 10:13 AM

That's the only logical thing I can think of. His production was good, his salary is reasonable, and it's not like he has major injury issues. If I'm Elway, I'm on the phone. Jabar is a helluva lot better 3rd or 4th option at this point than Willis or BFF 2.0 Stokley.

mhgaffney
05-01-2012, 10:14 AM
Gaffney, and it's not even close IMO.

I'll second that!

Sign him!

Heyneck
05-01-2012, 10:16 AM
I want him back!!! We missed him last year! He is a solid vet that can still produce. He is a great route runner and has more to offer than Stokes right now. And yes!!! I would take him over Caldwell right now!!! But just because I am loyal to previous Broncos that got the short end of the stick.

Tombstone RJ
05-01-2012, 10:23 AM
I believe 100% it has to do with his twitter rant. Shanny hates for players to discuss thier dirty laundry in public. Foxy was in Shanny's doghouse for just having a radio gig that promoted college education

nah, it has nothing to do with Jabar's twitter rant. What has resulted from that rant, nothing. Shanahan's just smarter than everyone else and this is the reason he cuts his best WR when he has a rookie QB.

baja
05-01-2012, 10:28 AM
nah, it has nothing to do with Jabar's twitter rant. What has resulted from that rant, nothing. Shanahan's just smarter than everyone else and this is the reason he cuts his best WR when he has a rookie QB.

LOL good one

Wait didn't we do that very thing last season with lloyd

NFLBRONCO
05-01-2012, 10:29 AM
could have really used him last year at times...

Why to block for wonderboy

Tombstone RJ
05-01-2012, 10:31 AM
LOL good one

Wait didn't we do that very thing last season with lloyd

Lloyd wanted out once Orton was gone, he wasn't happy.

Heyneck
05-01-2012, 10:39 AM

actually... Lloyd wanted out even before the switch happened! He just didn't like the offense without McDaniels.

vancejohnson82
05-01-2012, 10:40 AM
Why to block for wonderboy

not that it would have made a difference but after Decker went down in the playoffs our options were 1) throw to DT 2) throw to DT 3) take a sack

strafen
05-01-2012, 10:45 AM
He got cut because he sucks.
No, we don't need him here...

Beantown Bronco
05-01-2012, 10:47 AM

His numbers have gotten better every year. And the last few, in particular, with absolute garbage throwing him the ball.

baja
05-01-2012, 10:51 AM
every recognizable name we see cut half the board says "hell bring him in" in this case I agree.

SonOfLe-loLang
05-01-2012, 10:55 AM
every recognizable name we see cut half the board says "hell bring him in" in this case I agree.

actually its..."lets bring him in for a look."

I dont know why that phrase drives me crazy, but it does.

BroncoInferno
05-01-2012, 01:26 PM
If the Skins were going to cut a veteran WR, why cut Gaffney instead of Santana Moss? Moss is two years older (33 vs. 31), wasn't as productive last season, and is costlier. I don't get it ???

uplink
05-01-2012, 01:42 PM
bring him in ASP before McD gets his hands on him

elsid13
05-01-2012, 01:48 PM
If the Skins were going to cut a veteran WR, why cut Gaffney instead of Santana Moss? Moss is two years older (33 vs. 31), wasn't as productive last season, and is costlier. I don't get it ???

Because Moss can play the slot and Gaffney doesn't do that well. It was numbers game and Moss fits what they need.

Punisher
05-01-2012, 01:52 PM
Elway needs to take a look at this

pricejj
05-01-2012, 02:08 PM
Who would you rather have?
Andre Caldwell or Jabar Gaffney?
And no, you cant say both.

Gaffney...check please! :~ohyah!:

DBroncos4life
05-01-2012, 02:18 PM
bring him in ASP before McD gets his hands on him

We wouldn't make the Pats roster. Llyod, Welker, Branch, Stallworth, Elderman, Ocho and Gonzalez are fighting for roster spots now.

Smilin Assassin
05-01-2012, 02:23 PM

That's just incorrect.

BroncoBeavis
05-01-2012, 02:39 PM
We wouldn't make the Pats roster. Llyod, Welker, Branch, Stallworth, Elderman, Ocho and Gonzalez are fighting for roster spots now.

Along with Gronk and Hernandez, that's just not fair.

errand
05-01-2012, 04:47 PM

while we hope every player is playing just to win a title, the truth is that it's not the way it truly is....players also want to earn more $$$$

how big of a contract do you think a WR will get if he's only getting two or three passes thrown his way every other game? with Orton Lloyd knew he was the focus of the passing game...when he was benched, Lloyd basing his beliefs on what he obviously witnessed during practices, knew those days were over in Denver.

RaiderH8r
05-01-2012, 05:07 PM
while we hope every player is playing just to win a title, the truth is that it's not the way it truly is....players also want to earn more $$$$

how big of a contract do you think a WR will get if he's only getting two or three passes thrown his way every other game? with Orton Lloyd knew he was the focus of the passing game...when he was benched, Lloyd basing his beliefs on what he obviously witnessed during practices, knew those days were over in Denver.

Lloyd can get a crippling prick infection and rot.

gyldenlove
05-01-2012, 05:09 PM
So is this Shanahan's last season with the skins if he doesn't get to the playoffs or does he get one more season to bring Griffin along?

bowtown
05-01-2012, 05:11 PM
So is this Shanahan's last season with the skins if he doesn't get to the playoffs or does he get one more season to bring Griffin along?

I think Griffin buys him at least two.

DHallblows
05-01-2012, 05:34 PM

I don't know if a single part of that is accurate...

broncswin
05-01-2012, 05:58 PM
Lloyd can get a crippling prick infection and rot.

Damn you stole my post^5

BroncoInferno
05-01-2012, 05:59 PM

Apparently, he was one of Brady's favorites from what I've read. He could probably beat out Elderman, Ocho, and Gonzalez for sure, and maybe Branch.

TheReverend
05-01-2012, 06:43 PM
I love how two people have referenced Julian "Elderman"

baja
05-01-2012, 06:43 PM
Manning really makes smart receivers shine, don't know why we don't bring him to camp.

Jay3
05-01-2012, 06:45 PM
Sign him. Yesterday.

Call up the Redskins and find a way to trade something for him -- players or picks!

The Broncos can always cut him if it doesn't work out.

Jay3
05-01-2012, 06:47 PM

The problem with this theory is Lloyd asked for the trade before Orton was benched.

Heyneck
05-01-2012, 06:59 PM

uh.. no. Lloyd has stated numerous times that the QB change had nothing to do with it. It was all about the system.

Are all these trade requests Tim Tebow-related? It was in Orton's case back in July. But the agents for Lloyd and Royal made their intentions known before John Fox benched Orton for Tebow last week.

The Broncos wouldn't mind appeasing the receivers' trade requests because Demaryius Thomas, a first-round pick in the 2010 draft, is scheduled to return from his various injuries this week. Eric Decker, a third-round pick in last year's draft, has already established himself as a starting receiver. And the Broncos like Matt Willis as a third receiver.

As of Sunday afternoon, trade talks have barely made a dent on the Broncos' cell phone plan, however. The Broncos, and agents for Lloyd and Royal, have let other NFL teams know the players are available. But no team has stepped up to make an offer. Perhaps talks will pick up after the league's slate of games finish today.

Read more: Broncos WR Eddie Royal joins Brandon Lloyd in trade talks - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_19126114#ixzz1tfndWOxE
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_19126114

And don't point out the the Legwold article written 1 week after this one. No other witter is more disconnected from the Broncos FO than him. Klis is the close one close to the FO... so he is bound to have a more accurate information. The new offensive system sucked without McD. Compare Orton's 5 games to his first 5 games of 09 and 10. Production dipped tremendously!!!

Bronco Yoda
05-01-2012, 11:25 PM
Make the phone call Elway!

We should have never let him go in the first place.

SPORTSWRITER
05-02-2012, 02:42 AM

I'd guess roster bonus money or some other contractual financial clause played a huge role in Shanahan's decision to cut him.

bowtown
05-02-2012, 04:10 AM

Elway is still searching for him on Google.

Ray Finkle
05-02-2012, 05:33 AM

It all depends. If the Skins blow but RG3 shows good progress, he buys another year at least. If they have a McD type season, he gone.

DENVERDUI55
05-02-2012, 07:53 AM

I know I thought sane thing. He is also their 5 th CB.

Frosty78
05-02-2012, 01:39 PM
Gaffney to the Patriots.

hades
05-02-2012, 01:51 PM
Gaffney to the Patriots.

Great, he knows our snap count, now their defense will dominate the line and get into the backfield every play!

baja
05-02-2012, 02:27 PM
That is why I respect the FO of the Pats. I don't like the team nor the way they handle their players but they do consistently make smart moves personal wise.

baja
05-02-2012, 02:28 PM
We shoulda signed him.

DBroncos4life
05-02-2012, 02:28 PM
Gaffney to the Patriots.

They have two RBs and 47 WRs. The other half of the team is LBs.

DBroncos4life
05-02-2012, 02:30 PM
That is why I respect the FO of the Pats. I don't like the team nor the way they handle their players but they do consistently make smart moves personal wise.

:giggle: They have so many WR's now what a waste. If they would have signed Benson I would be impressed not another WR.

baja
05-02-2012, 02:53 PM
:giggle: They have so many WR's now what a waste. If they would have signed Benson I would be impressed not another WR.

It's not like they will keep them all. They will keep the best of them and cut the rest.

We could have done the same. Gaffney and Manning could be great and we have potential but we have question marks too.

DBroncos4life
05-02-2012, 03:02 PM
It's not like they will keep them all. They will keep the best of them and cut the rest.

We could have done the same. Gaffney and Manning could be great and we have potential but we have question marks too.

They are not a balanced team and it shows by the lack of attempt to improve the running game. That team was far from weak passing the ball with the group of WR's they had last year. The move doesn't impress me at all.

Jay3
05-02-2012, 04:13 PM
Great, he knows our snap count, now their defense will dominate the line and get into the backfield every play!

http://i.imgur.com/yOlBO.jpg

baja
05-02-2012, 05:52 PM
They are not a balanced team and it shows by the lack of attempt to improve the running game. That team was far from weak passing the ball with the group of WR's they had last year. The move doesn't impress me at all.

So do you think them bringing in a RW precludes them form bringing in, say, three running backs to participate in camp. To me it looks like the are leaving no stone unturned trying to get better, no sure we are willing to go to the same lengths to do the same.

baja
05-02-2012, 05:56 PM
We do not have the cash flow flexibility many of the other teams have and it shows time and time again. Mind you I am not complaining I do think Bowlen does make every effort he can afford but he is not as rich as many of the other owners and it shows at times.

...and before you say it I am aware we signed Manning to a huge contract.

bowtown
05-02-2012, 06:15 PM
We do not have the cash flow flexibility many of the other teams have and it shows time and time again. Mind you I am not complaining I do think Bowlen does make every effort he can afford but he is not as rich as many of the other owners and it shows at times.

Maybe you didn't notice, but we just signed Manning to a huge contract... yeesh.

baja
05-02-2012, 07:15 PM
Maybe you didn't notice, but we just signed Manning to a huge contract... yeesh.

Maybe you didn't read all of my post. ;D

razorwire77
05-02-2012, 07:18 PM

http://3ch.ru/z/src/133340154767.jpg

baja
05-02-2012, 07:20 PM
Look at the numbers. It is what it is and like I said Bowlen is doing the best he can with what he has. He's just not in the same cash bracket as a lot of the other teams.

DBroncos4life
05-02-2012, 08:11 PM
So do you think them bringing in a RW precludes them form bringing in, say, three running backs to participate in camp. To me it looks like the are leaving no stone unturned trying to get better, no sure we are willing to go to the same lengths to do the same.

NE weakness is at RB. The logical thing for them is too look for WR's first then wait for RB's to magically pop out of the ground. Our old coach got this mad too.

baja
05-02-2012, 08:30 PM
NE weakness is at RB. The logical thing for them is too look for WR's first then wait for RB's to magically pop out of the ground. Our old coach got this mad too.

Jaffney was cut they had to take him when he became available or lose him to another team. When a running back comes available I bet they will be aggressive in signing him as well. I am sure you know in the NFL you have to make your moves as they come to you not by what your need priority might be.

DBroncos4life
05-02-2012, 08:36 PM
Jaffney was cut they had to take him when he became available or lose him to another team. When a running back comes available I bet they will be aggressive in signing him as well. I am sure you know in the NFL you have to make your moves as they come to you not by what your need priority might be.

You think a RB better then Benson is going to be cut? They continue to show that they don't care about the running game. Gaffney isn't a need and should be viewed as a poor move by BB but, anyone stuck in his former glorry will think signing his 15th WR is a good move. They have a second year back and Danny Woodhead going into camp as RBs. Believe it or not running the football is important in the NFL and if Denver was doing this your ass would be livid. That is a fact.

baja
05-02-2012, 08:39 PM
You think a RB better then Benson is going to be cut? They continue to show that they don't care about the running game. Gaffney isn't a need and should be viewed as a poor move by BB but, anyone stuck in his former glorry will think signing his 15th WR is a good move. They have a second year back and Danny Woodhead going into camp as RBs. Believe it or not running the football is important in the NFL and if Denver was doing this your ass would be livid. That is a fact.

I think Benson is done and the fact he is still available indicates most teams think so too.

DBroncos4life
05-02-2012, 08:49 PM
I think Benson is done and the fact he is still available indicates most teams think so too.

You think a 29 year old RB coming off three 1000 yard seasons that didn't have over 220 carries to his 5th season is done?

baja
05-02-2012, 08:51 PM
You think a 29 year old RB coming off three 1000 yard seasons that didn't have over 220 carries to his 5th season is done?

Why aren't teams jumping all over each other to get to him?

DBroncos4life
05-02-2012, 08:55 PM
Why aren't teams jumping all over each other to get to him?

His off field issues, something that doesn't bother BB.

DBroncos4life
05-02-2012, 09:02 PM
The Pats have 13 WR's on the roster. 10 DE's and 12 LB's The weak links of the Pats last year was CB, S and RB's. They have 4 RB's, 8 CB's and 7 S's. If Denver was doing this you would cry. It's a fact.

baja
05-02-2012, 09:03 PM
His off field issues, something that doesn't bother BB.

I just do not buy that a coach with the success rate of Brian B. would fail to sign a player if he believed he could help his team so we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. ;D

DBroncos4life
05-02-2012, 09:10 PM
I just do not buy that a coach with the success rate of Brian B. would fail to sign a player if he believed he could help his team so we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. ;D

Sorry you are buying into the Shanny defense that you so hate. The Pats have issues and he fails to fix them all while thinking he is smarter then the rest of the NFL. He will have no running game and TWO tackles playing new positions, but hey he has lots of talented WR's he can throw too.

baja
05-02-2012, 09:25 PM
Sorry you are buying into the Shanny defense that you so hate. The Pats have issues and he fails to fix them all while thinking he is smarter then the rest of the NFL. He will have no running game and TWO tackles playing new positions, but hey he has lots of talented WR's he can throw too.
It is possible that BB has let his ego override his good judgment ala Shanny but I'm not ready to go there yet. He's still the winningest coach around.

DBroncos4life
05-02-2012, 09:32 PM
It is possible that BB has let his ego override his good judgment ala Shanny but I'm not ready to go there yet. He's still the winningest coach around.

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/t/epjw2.jpg (http://www.freeimagehosting.net/epjw2)

baja
05-02-2012, 09:35 PM
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/t/epjw2.jpg (http://www.freeimagehosting.net/epjw2)

I think BB has the most wins over the last ten years. If not certainly he is right up there.

DBroncos4life
05-02-2012, 09:37 PM
I think he has the most wins over the last ten years.

Winning SB's is all that matters.

baja
05-02-2012, 09:38 PM
Winning SB's is all that matters.

Body of work is a truer gauge.

DBroncos4life
05-02-2012, 09:44 PM
Body of work is a truer gauge.

Then why did you turn on Shannahan?

baja
05-02-2012, 09:47 PM
Then why did you turn on Shannahan?

Look at his record after elway left and I didn't "turn on Shanny" just called it as I saw it. How's he doing in Washington BTW?

DBroncos4life
05-02-2012, 09:52 PM
Look at his record after elway left and I didn't "turn on Shanny" just called it as I saw it. How's he doing in Washington BTW?

Trying to get a QB. Shanny with a QB is as scarry as any coach in NFL history.

baja
05-02-2012, 09:59 PM
Trying to get a QB. Shanny with a QB is as scarry as any coach in NFL history.

He should have went with Brister, he started Griese too soon.

He started Cutler too soon, we were 7 and 4 with Plummer.

Shanny's ego ruined his judgment.

Look at his drafts Look at his FA acquisitions

We so loved Shanny but he spiraled downward post Elway

Jay3
05-03-2012, 04:37 AM
Gaffney apparently told Josina that he's joining the Patriots.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/7883995/jabar-gaffney-heading-back-new-england-patriots

bowtown
05-03-2012, 04:44 AM

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/7883995/jabar-gaffney-heading-back-new-england-patriots

Belichick preparing to introduce the NFL to the 8 receiver set.

TonyR
05-03-2012, 05:38 AM

Also reported 34 posts ago in this very thread:

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpost.php?p=3579855&postcount=67

Jay3
05-03-2012, 05:56 AM
Also reported 34 posts ago in this very thread:

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpost.php?p=3579855&postcount=67

I thought that was a prediction.