PDA

View Full Version : Where Will Wolfe Play?

manchambo
04-30-2012, 02:03 PM
I had been under the assumption that Wolfe would play at DT, for a likely base alignment of Dumervil, Wolfe, Warren, Ayers. Then on third down move everyone all over the place with Miller thrown in for havoc.

Then I read a DP article suggesting that Wolfe would play end on run downs and rush from the DT spot on third (basically exactly Ayers spot last year). The overall point of the article was that Ayers might be on his way out, but this doesn't make very much sense to me in terms of getting the probable four best DL on the field. I thought Ayers was solid, if unspectacular, last year and played better toward the end of the season. He's a disappointment, to be sure, given where he was drafted, but seemed like a solid starter to me and certainly better than the scrubs they will likely be able to field at DT if Wolfe plays at end.

Thoughts?

DBroncos4life
04-30-2012, 02:08 PM
Taking Ayers off the field would be a huge mistake. Ayers, Warren, Wolfe, and Doom should be the base DL.

Mogulseeker
04-30-2012, 02:09 PM
I think that's a bad idea because Ayers is a good run-stopping DE.

I like him at UT most of the time.

DenverBrit
04-30-2012, 02:09 PM
Taking Ayers off the field would be a huge mistake. Ayers, Warren, Wolfe, and Miller should be the base DL.

Did you mean Elvis?

OBF1
04-30-2012, 02:10 PM
I would not count Ayers out yet. Warren has not seen playing time in 2 years... No gaurantee he will ever make it back. At that point Wolfe will be playing UT while Ayers stays at DE.

DBroncos4life
04-30-2012, 02:10 PM
Did you mean Elvis?

Yeah that guy :P

OBF1
04-30-2012, 02:11 PM
Taking Ayers off the field would be a huge mistake. Ayers, Warren, Wolfe, and Miller should be the base DL.

You missed someone.................

DOOM

Pony Boy
04-30-2012, 02:12 PM
Better thread title ....... "Where the white DT's at"

Agamemnon
04-30-2012, 02:14 PM
I seriously doubt them picking Wolfe has any direct impact on Ayers. They are completely different players who fit completely different roles. I could see them both lining up at DT in obvious passing situations, but they won't be in direct competition with each other at all. And Ayers came on strong late last season, so I really don't think he's in any danger of losing his job in general. If they wanted to replace Ayers they would've drafted a true LE, not a smallish DT.

Rohirrim
04-30-2012, 02:14 PM
Doom/Jackson (DE), Warren/Bannan (NT), Wolfe/Ayers (UT), Ayers/Jackson (DE), would be my guess, or some variation thereof.

Punisher
04-30-2012, 02:18 PM
Doom/Jackson (DE), Warren/Bannan (NT), Wolfe/Ayers (UT), Ayers/Jackson (DE), would be my guess, or some variation thereof.

I think they'll play him in both NT and UT positions to see which one hes comfortable with then work from there

manchambo
04-30-2012, 02:20 PM
OK--I'm not crazy. The story didn't make any sense to me. Of course the DP is trying hard to sell this idea that this draft is making up for the mistakes of Moreno and Ayers. The thing is Ayers isn't that big a mistake.

Bigdawg26
04-30-2012, 02:28 PM

I would think it's
RDE- Doom/Hunter/Beal
NT- Warren/Bannan
UT- Wolfe/Vickerson
LDE- Ayers/Jackson

That's pretty impressive line-up if they stay healthy and live up to expectations.

BroncoBeavis
04-30-2012, 02:30 PM
MLB :)

bronco militia
04-30-2012, 02:32 PM
I had been under the assumption that Wolfe would play at DT, for a likely base alignment of Dumervil, Wolfe, Warren, Ayers. Then on third down move everyone all over the place with Miller thrown in for havoc.

Then I read a DP article suggesting that Wolfe would play end on run downs and rush from the DT spot on third (basically exactly Ayers spot last year). The overall point of the article was that Ayers might be on his way out, but this doesn't make very much sense to me in terms of getting the probable four best DL on the field. I thought Ayers was solid, if unspectacular, last year and played better toward the end of the season. He's a disappointment, to be sure, given where he was drafted, but seemed like a solid starter to me and certainly better than the scrubs they will likely be able to field at DT if Wolfe plays at end.

Thoughts?

are you talking about the Klis article?

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20511258/broncos-tried-fix-bad-draft-2009-2012-draft

knowing Klis, this article is mostly BS.

Agamemnon
04-30-2012, 02:35 PM
I would think it's
RDE- Doom/Hunter/Beal
NT- Warren/Bannan
UT- Wolfe/Vickerson
LDE- Ayers/Jackson

That's pretty impressive line-up if they stay healthy and live up to expectations.

What's "pretty impressive" about it? The only player on that list who is genuinely good is Dumervil. Outside of Wolfe, the rest are average to terrible, and who knows how good Wolfe will be.

manchambo
04-30-2012, 02:42 PM
are you talking about the Klis article?

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20511258/broncos-tried-fix-bad-draft-2009-2012-draft

knowing Klis, this article is mostly BS.

Actually it was this one: http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20506006/peyton-manning-agrees-brock-osweiler

Which says the following:

Ayers, Moreno fighting for jobs.
The Broncos' 2012 draft sent a direct message to the Broncos' top picks in their 2009 draft: Potential doesn't count anymore.
Running back Knowshon Moreno, the No. 12 pick in 2009, was pushed down the depth chart after his team selected speedster Ronnie Hillman early in the third round Friday. Defensive end/tackle Robert Ayers, the No. 18 pick in 2009, may lose his starting position to Derek Wolfe, who was the Broncos' second-round pick Friday. Ayers may now also have to compete with freshly drafted Malik Jackson for a backup role.
Jackson, who like Ayers played at the University of Tennessee, was selected by the Broncos in the fifth round Saturday.
In Fox's 4-3 system last season, Ayers played defensive end on first and second downs, then slid inside to tackle in pass situations. The plan for Wolfe is to start at defensive end on rush downs and pass rush from the tackle spot

Rabb
04-30-2012, 02:43 PM
What's "pretty impressive" about it? The only player on that list who is genuinely good is Dumervil. Outside of Wolfe, the rest are average to terrible, and who knows how good Wolfe will be.

you're such a breath of fresh air

and by breath of fresh air of course I mean, complete douchebag

deputyorange
04-30-2012, 02:58 PM
Why not line up Wolfe, Warren, Bannan and Ayers on obvious run downs? Let Doom rest up to rush the passer, slide Ayers and Wolfe inside on pass downs.

Agamemnon
04-30-2012, 03:12 PM
you're such a breath of fresh air

and by breath of fresh air of course I mean, complete douchebag

Someone appears to have an aversion to reality...

Agamemnon
04-30-2012, 03:13 PM
Why not line up Wolfe, Warren, Bannan and Ayers on obvious run downs? Let Doom rest up to rush the passer, slide Ayers and Wolfe inside on pass downs.

Because then you are making it far, far too easy to pass on 1st and 2nd down.

Agamemnon
04-30-2012, 03:16 PM
Actually it was this one: http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20506006/peyton-manning-agrees-brock-osweiler

The Broncos' 2012 draft sent a direct message to the Broncos' top picks in their 2009 draft: Potential doesn't count anymore.
Running back Knowshon Moreno, the No. 12 pick in 2009, was pushed down the depth chart after his team selected speedster Ronnie Hillman early in the third round Friday. Defensive end/tackle Robert Ayers, the No. 18 pick in 2009, may lose his starting position to Derek Wolfe, who was the Broncos' second-round pick Friday. Ayers may now also have to compete with freshly drafted Malik Jackson for a backup role.
Jackson, who like Ayers played at the University of Tennessee, was selected by the Broncos in the fifth round Saturday.
In Fox's 4-3 system last season, Ayers played defensive end on first and second downs, then slid inside to tackle in pass situations. The plan for Wolfe is to start at defensive end on rush downs and pass rush from the tackle spot

I'll believe it when I see it, and when I see it I'll only laugh. Wolfe has absolutely no business playing DE in a 4-3.

sgbfan
04-30-2012, 03:18 PM

With this I hope that if they do use him as DE on running downs, its more to rest Doom and Ayers, not replace Ayers. Ayers is good enough to play, he is one of the top 4 DL on this team, if not top 3 imo. If he was a 3rd or 4th round pick, and wasn't picked by McD, would everyone still hate him? Who cares where he is drafted if he can still help this team.

Same goes for Moreno. He's on the team and can do some things to help this team. Until there are 4 RB on the roster better than him (which imo there is not right now) why not use the skills he has to help rather than be upset about what he can't.

That being said how bad was that draft. I like Ayers, but everything else was a complete fail. Moreno is decent, but is not a feature back and Bruton is the only one left on the team and is a ST is all. Hopefully EFX's drafts resemble 2006 more than the 2010 draft.

TheReverend
04-30-2012, 03:20 PM
RDE - Dumervil/Hunter
RDT - Bannan/Warren
LDT - Vickerson/Wolfe
LDE - Ayers/Hunter

sgbfan
04-30-2012, 03:21 PM
I don't remember very well, because I didn't know as much about DL positions when I was younger, but didn't Shanahan try moving Trevor Pryce to DE? If so, how did that turn out?

Heyneck
04-30-2012, 03:21 PM
the are going to place him all over the DL...

Garcia Bronco
04-30-2012, 03:23 PM
Looks like he'll be part of a solid rotation.

Bmore Manning
04-30-2012, 03:24 PM
Jackson, Bannan, Warren, Vickerson..Run downs

Dumervill, Warren, Wolf, Ayers.. Base

Dumervill, Wolf, Ayers, Miller.. Passing downs

Depth Chart
Dumervill/ Jackson DE
Warren/ Bannan/ Vickerson NT
Wolf/ Jackson/ Garland UT
Ayers/ Hunter DE

chanesaw
04-30-2012, 04:19 PM
DE Elvis/Hunter
DT (2 gap) Bannon/Vickerson
DT (1 gap) Warren/Wolfe
DE Ayers/Jackson

pricejj
04-30-2012, 04:46 PM
Klis doesn't know his a** from a hole in the wall, and probably didn't even know who Derek Wolfe was 3 days ago. He is undoubtedly reading scouting "reports" that place Wolfe as a 3-4 DE.

Wolfe is a UT in a 4-3...brought here to attack the QB from the DL interior.

Ziggy
04-30-2012, 04:48 PM
Running Downs:
DE-Doom
DT-Wolfe
DT-Warren
DE-Ayers/Jackson

Passing Downs-
DE-Doom
DT-Wolfe
DT-Ayers/Jackson
DE-Miller

Agamemnon
04-30-2012, 04:58 PM
Klis doesn't know his a** from a hole in the wall, and probably didn't even know who Derek Wolfe was 3 days ago. He is undoubtedly reading scouting "reports" that place Wolfe as a 3-4 DE.

Even Wolfe himself talked about playing 3 tech for us. Klis is more full of **** than most OM posters, and that's saying something.

crush17
04-30-2012, 05:10 PM
Taking Ayers off the field would be a huge mistake. Ayers, Warren, Wolfe, and Doom should be the base DL.

Spot on.

Cali Euros
04-30-2012, 08:17 PM
Sometimes I wish I was a journalist so I could write reports like this. Except I'd be reporting that Wolfe was drafted to blitz from the SS spot while we have our new DT Omar Bolden drop into coverage.

barryr
04-30-2012, 08:29 PM
Wolfe would play DT in a 4-3 and DE in a 3-4 defense. Anybody suggesting Wolfe play DE in a 4-3 doesn't know crap about football. You maybe do that in a goal line type of defense where you expect a running play.

DenverBrit
04-30-2012, 08:35 PM
Wolfe would play DT in a 4-3 and DE in a 3-4 defense. Anybody suggesting Wolfe play DE in a 4-3 doesn't know crap about football. You maybe do that in a goal line type of defense where you expect a running play.

:)
Derek Wolfe, DE/DT, Cincinnati
Height: 6-5. Weight: 295.
40 Time: 4.94. 10-Yd Split: 1.70.
Bench: 33.
Vertical: 33.5. Broad: 9-0.
Arm: 33 1/4. Hand: 10 3/4.
Projected Round (2012): 2-4.
4/25/12: Others rate Wolfe as a third-day pick while ESPN's Mel Kiper projected him to go in the first round. Wolfe could be a second-day pick but his stock is difficult to project.

Wolfe performed well, yet flew under the radar at the Combine. He also had a quality week at the Senior Bowl and had his share of wins. The senior had an excellent season with 70 tackles, 21.5 tackles for a loss, two forced fumbles and 9.5 sacks.

At the point of attack, Wolfe overwhelms offensive linemen with his strength and speed. He closes on the quarterback quickly and plays the run extremely well. Wolfe has a nice repertoire of pass-rushing moves, and he uses a strong rip move.

Entering the NFL, Wolfe has very good technique with a steady motor. He could be an ideal 3-4 defensive end. If Wolfe stays as a 4-3 defensive tackle, he should add some more weight if he is going to be inside on every down. Some 4-3 teams could play him at left defensive end on running downs and move him inside in passing situations.

8/21/11: Derek Wolfe has had two quality seasons for Cincinnati. In 2009, he recorded 41 tackles with eight tackles for a loss and five sacks. Last year, he had 48 tackles with 6.5 tackles for a loss and four sacks. If he can stay consistent as a senior, it would ensure his status as a mid-round pick. If Wolfe has a big senior season with his scheme flexibility to play either a 3-4 or a 4-3 defense, his could raise his stock.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2012DE3-4.php

pricejj
04-30-2012, 08:40 PM
Derek Wolfe - "I can't wait to win a championship, and I know we're gonna do it."

How would you describe your game?

Derek Wolfe - "Relentless."

http://stationcaster.com/player_skinned.php?s=96&c=743&f=512891

Shananahan
04-30-2012, 08:44 PM
Ayers is good enough to play, he is one of the top 4 DL on this team, if not top 3 imo.
Let's see:

1. Dumervil
2. Ughhhh.....
3. Uggggghhhhhh......
4. Ayers

Yeah, top four.

Br0nc0Buster
04-30-2012, 09:10 PM
Derek Wolfe - "I can't wait to win a championship, and I know we're gonna do it."

How would you describe your game?

Derek Wolfe - "Relentless."

http://stationcaster.com/player_skinned.php?s=96&c=743&f=512891

didnt you want Xanders fired?
what happened we draft wolfe and all is forgiven?

lonestar
04-30-2012, 09:13 PM

Thoughts?
the author of that article was kliss..

if Legwold would have written it maybe..

but kliss took bill burgers spot of morons taht should not have a jobs writing sports..

Ayers is a solid DE on running downs one of the best IF not the best on this team..

has he lived up to his draft status?

At this point no but then he also played OLB for two of those years..

in passing stituations ayers might indeed come off the field because frankly playing a 274 pound guy at DT is IMO an act of desperation not becasue he was great at it..

lonestar
04-30-2012, 09:17 PM
I would think it's
RDE- Doom/Hunter/Beal
NT- Warren/Bannan
UT- Wolfe/Vickerson
LDE- Ayers/Jackson

I think you forgot Garland.. the kid from the AFA he got an early release and from what has been said about him he is a keeper.. The coaches loved his hustle..

Archer81
04-30-2012, 09:17 PM
On defense.

Duh.

:Broncos:

lonestar
04-30-2012, 09:18 PM

Bears repeating.. KLIS is an asshole.. next to him is kliz..

Pendejo
04-30-2012, 09:21 PM
The correct answer clearly is that he'll play mostly in the other team's backfield.

lonestar
04-30-2012, 09:22 PM
The correct answer clearly is that he'll play mostly in the other team's backfield.

that would be nice for once,

to actually have a player that can collapse the pocket.. been a long time coming..

canadianbroncosfan
04-30-2012, 09:32 PM
Why are they suggesting Wolfe play outside on a 4-3, especially with Doom and Ayers? I thought Ayers showed promise, especially towards the end of the season last year. I would think that they would keep Wolfe as an inside tackle, like he was in college. IMP.

El Jué
04-30-2012, 09:34 PM
Edmonton?

Cali Euros
04-30-2012, 09:40 PM
4/25/12: Others rate Wolfe as a third-day pick while ESPN's Mel Kiper projected him to go in the first round. Wolfe could be a second-day pick but his stock is difficult to project.

Wolfe performed well, yet flew under the radar at the Combine. He also had a quality week at the Senior Bowl and had his share of wins. The senior had an excellent season with 70 tackles, 21.5 tackles for a loss, two forced fumbles and 9.5 sacks.

At the point of attack, Wolfe overwhelms offensive linemen with his strength and speed. He closes on the quarterback quickly and plays the run extremely well. Wolfe has a nice repertoire of pass-rushing moves, and he uses a strong rip move.

Entering the NFL, Wolfe has very good technique with a steady motor. He could be an ideal 3-4 defensive end. If Wolfe stays as a 4-3 defensive tackle, he should add some more weight if he is going to be inside on every down. Some 4-3 teams could play him at left defensive end on running downs and move him inside in passing situations.

8/21/11: Derek Wolfe has had two quality seasons for Cincinnati. In 2009, he recorded 41 tackles with eight tackles for a loss and five sacks. Last year, he had 48 tackles with 6.5 tackles for a loss and four sacks. If he can stay consistent as a senior, it would ensure his status as a mid-round pick. If Wolfe has a big senior season with his scheme flexibility to play either a 3-4 or a 4-3 defense, his could raise his stock.

The only 4-3 team that would play him outside would be a hybrid defense like the Jets and I guess the Patriots. Or a mammoth 4-3 team like Seattle who has a 325 lb. LE

lonestar
04-30-2012, 09:43 PM
Why are they suggesting Wolfe play outside on a 4-3, especially with Doom and Ayers? I thought Ayers showed promise, especially towards the end of the season last year. I would think that they would keep Wolfe as an inside tackle, like he was in college. IMP.

because Kliss is a moron..

Nwp-Apap
04-30-2012, 09:44 PM
We should all hope Warrn does not start for us at any point. He was downright horrible in his limited time least preseason/training camp.

DBroncos4life
04-30-2012, 09:49 PM
We should all hope Warrn does not start for us at any point. He was downright horrible in his limited time least preseason/training camp.

Warren? Everything I heard said he was killing before he went down.

pricejj
04-30-2012, 09:57 PM
didnt you want Xanders fired?
what happened we draft wolfe and all is forgiven?

EFX is getting much better at finding talent in the draft...I think this draft has many hidden gems. I am a big fan of Derek Wolfe, and I can't believe he's a Bronco. He is a piece that we definitely needed.

We all get upset by missing out on FA's sometimes, but I think most of the misses this offseason, have been out of the control of the FO. You can only put an offer out, and see what happens.

Overall, Xanders (in part) has dramatically improved the roster this offseason. I am really starting to like that dude. It's pretty sweet that they have built a roster that can compete for the Championsip...in 15 months since McDaniels attempted to destroy the franchise.

cutthemdown
04-30-2012, 09:58 PM
Wolfe will play end and DT IMO. It will probably mean less snaps for Ayers. Ayers isn't explosive and guys like that are always in danger of losing snaps.

Vegas_Bronco
04-30-2012, 10:10 PM
I just want to see the guy contribute...it will take a year just to get rollin. Whole different game in nfl...maulers on the other side of the ball, situational double teams, faster backs, zone reads...this be a whole diff world than ole cincy u.

bronco610
04-30-2012, 10:17 PM
I just want to see the guy contribute...it will take a year just to get rollin. Whole different game in nfl...maulers on the other side of the ball, situational double teams, faster backs, zone reads...this be a whole diff world than ole cincy u.

Normally I agree first year and all, but, look at what Miller did in first year. Not saying wolfe is that kind of talent but from the film I have seen it takes away from the double team on Doom and that in its self will make some difference.

razorwire77
04-30-2012, 10:34 PM

Same here. If memory serves the camps reports said he was dominant and if healthy he can basically be an immoveable object inside. But we know how the health story has played out so far.

cutthemdown
04-30-2012, 11:08 PM
None of Warrens injuries seem like the type that would end a career. This last one was a torn muscle right? Pectoral, bicep something right? Warren can still play and so can Vickerson. I'm not saying both will come back and play a lot of snaps, but I will say i think at least one of them will.

I knew Broncos would like players like Wolfe and i mentioned him in another thread. This is about the style Broncos will play.

Broncos will be running a hurry up offense, that will either score quick, or give up the ball quick. Defense will have to be a hustle type defense that can play a lot of minutes. Big fatties, sucking air at altitude, is just not what the doctor ordered.

Broncos will continue to look for high motor, high effort, athletic dlineman that are in really good cardiovascular shape.

cutthemdown
04-30-2012, 11:10 PM
Normally I agree first year and all, but, look at what Miller did in first year. Not saying wolfe is that kind of talent but from the film I have seen it takes away from the double team on Doom and that in its self will make some difference.

Miller stunk in pass coverage which is often what rookies do. He also made some poor plays angle wise in the run game. He's a great pass rusher and was able to do that his rookie yr pretty well. But he needs to improve big time to be a great NFL player. For Wolfe it will be an uphill battle because DT get a lot more contact then OLB. I like him though, i just wouldn't expect big time numbers in his first yr. If he can help out the rotation and have some good games its a big bonus.

Still I think Warren and Vickerson getting healthy a bigger issue.

kappys
04-30-2012, 11:16 PM
Ayers was quite effective rushing from the UT spot late in the season - he also has great strength - while I doubt he would switch to UT permanently its not unthinkable.

That said I think its more likely Wolfe is here to play UT with Ayers rotating in on passing downs and possibly playing both Wolfe and Ayers at DT on clear passing downs.

Br0nc0Buster
04-30-2012, 11:16 PM
Miller stunk in pass coverage which is often what rookies do. He also made some poor plays angle wise in the run game. He's a great pass rusher and was able to do that his rookie yr pretty well. But he needs to improve big time to be a great NFL player. For Wolfe it will be an uphill battle because DT get a lot more contact then OLB. I like him though, i just wouldn't expect big time numbers in his first yr. If he can help out the rotation and have some good games its a big bonus.

Still I think Warren and Vickerson getting healthy a bigger issue.

disagree
you remove Vons rushing skills and he is still the best LB on the team

I like DJ, but he cant hold Millers jock

Nwp-Apap
04-30-2012, 11:32 PM

Where did you hear from? Go back and watch his limited preseason snaps. He spent more time being thrown on his ass than doing anything remotely positive, much less dominant.

Training camp watch much of the same, I feel I have a decent sample size, I went to 11 practices and JD Walton had his way with him daily...... That should be pretty telling :(

Either way, I hope he somehow shapes up, but I don't see that happening after performing so poorly in camp and then receiving his second straight season ending injury.

canadianbroncosfan
04-30-2012, 11:40 PM
Edmonton?

Yes?

baja
04-30-2012, 11:42 PM

This. If we get some push up the middle that changes everything.

Bacchus
05-01-2012, 12:11 AM

Vickerson will make this team.

chanesaw
05-01-2012, 06:32 AM
I don't expect Wolfe to start this year, I will be happy if he just works in the rotation and shows improvement from the start of the season to the end.

Drek
05-01-2012, 07:19 AM
Wolfe will play end and DT IMO. It will probably mean less snaps for Ayers. Ayers isn't explosive and guys like that are always in danger of losing snaps.

He just played his first year at DE in a shortened camp and was primarily tasked with setting the edge for Miller and stuffing the run.

Robert Ayers is pretty damn close to the LAST guy in the front seven we need to take snaps away from.

I think Rev pretty much nailed what the actual unit will be with this:

RDE - Dumervil/Hunter
RDT - Bannan/Warren
LDT - Vickerson/Wolfe
LDE - Ayers/Hunter

Wolfe will be the 3 tech pass rush specialist early on, he will not be an every down starter out of the gate. Miller wasn't used in every down and distance and he's obviously a completely different level of player as Wolfe. Long term he replaces Vickerson.

Malik Jackson's role depends on what weight he plays at. He was 267 in college but 284 at the combine and 290 at his pro day. My bet is he plays something close to his combine weight and as a result he's basically the backup for Ayers and Wolfe, while maybe taking a few snaps away from Doom on obvious rushing downs.

Unless we find some hidden gem in camp this season we are also going to be back looking for another DT to replace Bannan/Warren come next draft. The unit is still very much in transition.

barryr
05-01-2012, 07:37 AM

Who? These are the geniuses of the NFL? I can find tons of sites that state what I believe too. If you think the Broncos drafted Wolfe to be a DE, then you really need to watch more football.

footstepsfrom#27
05-01-2012, 08:16 AM
Holy Cow...watch this video of Wolfe's highlights and check out the violence this kid plays with. Usually when I seen Denver get a sack it's a guy getting dragged down or something, but this guy looks like he plays with some serious intensity and hits people like nobody we have right now.

<iframe width="560" height="315"src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/iJsmdwFcPyg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

55CrushEm
05-01-2012, 08:34 AM
Holy Cow...watch this video of Wolfe's highlights and check out the violence this kid plays with. Usually when I seen Denver get a sack it's a guy getting dragged down or something, but this guy looks like he plays with some serious intensity and hits people like nobody we have right now.

<iframe width="560" height="315"src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/iJsmdwFcPyg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Me likey! The more I read about this guy.....the more psyched I am that we grabbed him.

Pricejj was right on. I wonder if it's true that the Ravens were going to take him at #35 (right before us)....but Upshaw fell to them, so they went with him.

pricejj
05-01-2012, 08:46 AM
Me likey! The more I read about this guy.....the more psyched I am that we grabbed him.

Pricejj was right on. I wonder if it's true that the Ravens were going to take him at #35 (right before us)....but Upshaw fell to them, so they went with him.

Derek personally said this, during his denverbroncos.com presser:

1. He was hearing that he was going to go anywhere from the late 1st to the early 2nd.
2. He had contact with several teams.
3. The Broncos were not one of those teams.
3. He spoke a lot with Baltimore, and when they didn't pick him at #35, he got very upset, so he went outside, and thats when the '303' popped up on his phone.

Told you man. I've been following this guy for 2 years, and he's exactly what we needed. I was pumped for Von last year. Now with Wolfe, our front 7 is going to be TERRIFYING to opposing QB's.

If Mays, Carter, and Porter can step up...the Orange Crush can be dominant.

DenverBrit
05-01-2012, 08:55 AM
Who? These are the geniuses of the NFL? I can find tons of sites that state what I believe too. If you think the Broncos drafted Wolfe to be a DE, then you really need to watch more football.

Really? Is that what I did? Hilarious!

Dedhed
05-01-2012, 09:12 AM
Told you man. I've been following this guy for 2 years, and he's exactly what we needed. I was pumped for Von last year. Now with Wolfe, our front 7 is going to be TERRIFYING to opposing QB's.
You're such a joke. 3 weeks ago you were going off about first round DTs we were going to take and you didn't even mention him. You were begging for Crick, and I doubt you'd even heard of Wolfe.

You whined when I said Wolfe was a better UT prospect than Crick. Now you've supposedly been studying him for 2 years. GTFO

pricejj
05-01-2012, 09:38 AM
You're such a joke. 3 weeks ago you were going off about first round DTs we were going to take and you didn't even mention him. You were begging for Crick, and I doubt you'd even heard of Wolfe.

You whined when I said Wolfe was a better UT prospect than Crick. Now you've supposedly been studying him for 2 years. GTFO

You are completely wrong. I have been quite vocal in saying that I think Wolfe is the best UT in this draft, and I have been following him since his Junior year (along with Crick). Though I liked Crick initially, there were many factors that led me to believe that Wolfe and Thompson are better players. I have never been a fan of Worthy, or Still...Reyes will be decent.

I was promoting Wolfe around here quite a bit for the past few weeks...but I never thought the Broncos would take him at #25. I knew he wouldn't be around much past the end of the 1st, and I am super happy he is a Bronco.

I made several posts regarding his rise up draft boards, including Kiper mocking him to NE at #31, then finally Kiper mocking him to the Broncos at #25, last week. My plan was to take BPA offense in the 1st (Konz, Wright), then trade up in the 2nd to pick Wolfe (if he lasted past NE at #31). There must be 50 posts related to that subject directly. I can't really tell you how happy I am right now. :sunshine:

Rohirrim
05-01-2012, 09:59 AM
I think it's obvious that bringing in Wolfe and Jackson means we're cranking up the pass rush. Although I'm sure the run will also be taken care of due to more penetration this line will create, I don't see the focus of this line being run stopping. It seems to me that Del Rio and Fox (rightfully so, IMO) see getting to the QB as the number one priority of defense in this day and age.

Jackson, who played in the Senior Bowl in late January, was named to the All-SEC First Team by the media in 2011 and the All-SEC Second Team by the coaches.

Also a 2010 AP All-SEC second team honoree, Jackson led the Vols in tackles for loss (11), sacks (2.5) and quarterback hurries (10). His 56 tackles were a career-high, ranked tied for third on the team and positioned him as one of just two defensive linemen to rank in the SEC’s top 50 in tackles per game with an average of 4.6 each outing, placing 50th. http://seymourherald.com/blog/2012/04/30/jackson-selected-by-broncos/

2011 ALL-BIG EAST CONFERENCE FIRST TEAM (COACHES): DL Derek Wolfe, Cincinnati, Sr., has been selected All-BIG EAST Conference First Team for the 2011 college football season as chosen by the league's eight head coaches. Wolfe leads the BIG EAST and ranks sixth nationally with 19.5 tackles for a loss and ranks third in the league and tied for 12th in the FBS with 9.5 sacks. Wolfe sits in fourth place on the UC career sacks list with 19.5 and 10th place on the UC career tackles for loss list with 35.0. - Cincinnati football

Dedhed
05-01-2012, 10:29 AM
I think it's obvious that bringing in Wolfe and Jackson means we're cranking up the pass rush. Although I'm sure the run will also be taken care of due to more penetration this line will create, I don't see the focus of this line being run stopping. It seems to me that Del Rio and Fox (rightfully so, IMO) see getting to the QB as the number one priority of defense in this day and age.

I agree completely. I also think that they believe that with Manning they're going to be putting points on the board and will be able to force teams to throw the ball, so it makes sense to put the priority on defenders that get rush the passer as opposed to true clogger types.

Rabb
05-01-2012, 10:31 AM
I agree completely. I also think that they believe that with Manning they're going to be putting points on the board and will be able to force teams to throw the ball, so it makes sense to put the priority on defenders that get rush the passer as opposed to true clogger types.

Yep, agreed. Man if our secondary plays well with this, we could be a turnover creating machine.

So excited to see this D shape up.

Rohirrim
05-01-2012, 10:42 AM

I also think Del Rio looked at the fact that the Broncos were 25th in TOs last year and probably got queasy in the stomach. The way to make TOs is to mess with the QB. ;D

And you're right; Getting the early leads and forcing the opposition into a passing game sets up this D. I think Wolfe and Jackson were brought in to set the table for Von Doom. ;D

Bmore Manning
05-01-2012, 10:49 AM
Del Rio and Foxy are going to work wonders with this D, as Fox can focus solely on the D and game management. Del Rio is going to be a stud DC.

pricejj
05-01-2012, 11:34 AM
I also think Del Rio looked at the fact that the Broncos were 25th in TOs last year and probably got queasy in the stomach. The way to make TOs is to mess with the QB. ;D

We were 30th in the NFL in INT's...none of the starting Safeties got an INT, unless you count Rahim Moore's lone INT.

The Defensive backfield is really going to have to step up this year, for us to have a chance. Hopefully adding Adams, Porter, Bolden, and Judie will be enough. We are really counting on Quenton Carter.

gyldenlove
05-01-2012, 11:37 AM
We were 30th in the NFL in INT's...none of the starting Safeties got an INT, unless you count Rahim Moore's lone INT.

The Defensive backfield is really going to have to step up this year, for us to have a chance. Hopefully adding Adams, Porter, Bolden, and Judie will be enough. We are really counting on Quenton Carter.

That is what you tend to get with 2 rookies and a very veteran at safety plus the overall poor play of Goodman.

pricejj
05-01-2012, 11:47 AM
That is what you tend to get with 2 rookies and a very veteran at safety plus the overall poor play of Goodman.

Yep. Let's hope Carter (and Moore) have turned the corner.

It really astounds me none of the local media outlets knew who Derek Wolfe was. The guys on 104.3 had to look him up. The Denver Post still thinks he is a DE, 850 KOA had no clue, etc. Dmac still thinks that "we missed our guy" (Doug Martin) in the 1st, and that we were scrambling the rest of the draft. I would expect more out of guys who get paid to talk about the Broncos.

These guys are always looking for a slant to the story. Last year it was Alfred Williams hating on Tebow. Now it's Dmac claiming that Elway was "upset" at the end of day 1, when in fact he was just frazzled. Way to bring in the new draft class, sorry-excuse for radio hosts.

pricejj
05-01-2012, 11:49 AM
Dmac even went so far yesterday to say that after finally watching tape of Wolfe, that he is "just a guy". That's funny because the tape of Wolfe is the most impressive part, and it sets him apart from the other prospects. The whole Denver media has been acting very toolish these past few days...I hope they wise up, and fast.

crush17
05-01-2012, 12:04 PM

Thats inaccurate. Carter got an INT vs. Pitt.

pricejj
05-01-2012, 12:08 PM
Thats inaccurate. Carter got an INT vs. Pitt.

I'm talking regular season...he won't be credited with his 2 playoff INT's in yearly stats.

Bmore Manning
05-01-2012, 12:14 PM
Was Carter playing FS or SS last year? Didn't he get drafted as a FS but play SS with how bad Raheem played?

gyldenlove
05-01-2012, 12:15 PM
Was Carter playing FS or SS last year? Didn't he get drafted as a FS but play SS with how bad Raheem played?

He was drafted as a SS to take over from Dawkins, but was moved to FS to replace Moore - I think he moved to SS part time when Dawkins was out.

crush17
05-01-2012, 12:18 PM
I'm talking regular season...he won't be credited with his 2 playoff INT's in yearly stats.

OIC

DENVERDUI55
05-01-2012, 12:48 PM
I bet Wolffe plays in passing situations at the UT intially. Really it's hard to determine til after training camp and preseason to see where he is at and the rest of the team is at.

BroncoBen
05-01-2012, 01:10 PM

Thoughts?

I think that is why the Broncos liked Wolfe so much, he is versatile and can play both DT and DE. I bet he starts the season on a rotation.. then plays his way to full time starter.

pricejj
05-01-2012, 02:46 PM
I bet Wolffe plays in passing situations at the UT intially. Really it's hard to determine til after training camp and preseason to see where he is at and the rest of the team is at.

Would they start Bannan at NT, and shift Warren to NT on passing downs? I don't like that idea.

To me, it would be more optimal to start Warren at NT, and Wolfe at UT...with Bannan, Vickerson, and Garland coming off the bench. Take Warren out on passing downs, when Miller is on the line, and shift Ayers to DT.