PDA

View Full Version : UDFA WR Gerrell Robinson...a Brandon Marshall sized WR with big time numbers

footstepsfrom#27
04-29-2012, 07:17 PM
I see this guy ran a 4.6, which might account for why he wasn't drafted but so did Jerry Rice so I doubt that's it. He's 6'3", 227 pounds and he put up 77 catches for 1397 yards and 7 TD's last year for ASU as Osweiler's go to guy. Anyone see this kid play? I can't help but wonder how numbers like that from a big Brandon Marshall sized WR didn't land him in the draft...anyone know? I never heard of most of their other UDFA's but this guy looks like he might have something to offer just based on these facts alone...so is he a medical case? A criminal? Cross dresser? What's his story?...anyone? https://asunews.asu.edu/files/images/05_2010_stanfordasu_fbc_1962w.jpg

schaaf
04-29-2012, 07:21 PM
I see this guy ran a 4.6, which might account for why he wasn't drafted but so did Jerry Rice so I doubt that's it. He's 6'3", 227 pounds and he put up 77 catches for 1397 yards and 7 TD's last year for ASU as Osweiler's go to guy. Anyone see this kid play? I can't help but wonder how numbers like that from a big Brandon Marshall sized WR didn't land him in the draft...anyone know? I never heard of most of their other UDFA's but this guy looks like he might have something to offer just based on these facts alone...so is he a medical case? A criminal? Cross dresser? What's his story?...anyone? https://asunews.asu.edu/files/images/05_2010_stanfordasu_fbc_1962w.jpg

Heard he ****ed a sheep once

bowtown
04-29-2012, 07:22 PM
Jake Plummer is racist.

SureShot
04-29-2012, 07:24 PM
Jack Elway hates him.

footstepsfrom#27
04-29-2012, 07:25 PM
Seriously...what's the deal? We're short on WR's and this kid obviously was very productive not to mention that size is a big plus.

Dr. Broncenstein
04-29-2012, 07:26 PM
He got all uppity on errr one.

Lestat
04-29-2012, 07:27 PM
he was slowed a bit by a hamstring injury before this past season and was a one year wonder of sorts. then he doesn't run well on his 40 yard dash. he's not a polished route runner, doesn't catch the ball well in terms of he reacts far to late on the ball and does a lot of body catching .

basically he's a big guy who was highly recruited out of high school who came on late as a senior but doesn't possess stand out tools.

Frosty78
04-29-2012, 07:34 PM
Eric Page will make the team, Robinson won't. Page can also be a very good punt and kick returner along with being a solid slot receiver.

RunSilentRunDeep
04-29-2012, 07:45 PM
Per ESPN: Former high school quarterback that took some time to adjust to playing WR in college. Accountable and handles his business on and off the field. Really matured and made big strides his final year on campus.

Sounds like someone who could still improve a ton.

footstepsfrom#27
04-29-2012, 07:46 PM
he was slowed a bit by a hamstring injury before this past season and was a one year wonder of sorts. then he doesn't run well on his 40 yard dash. he's not a polished route runner, doesn't catch the ball well in terms of he reacts far to late on the ball and does a lot of body catching .

basically he's a big guy who was highly recruited out of high school who came on late as a senior but doesn't possess stand out tools.
So how did he manage 77 catches, 1397 yards, 7 TD's and an 18.1 ypc average? He must have something going for him to do that in a major college conference. There are plenty of 4.6 forty guys who have made it and the rest of what you're saying sounds like coaching. I like the pickup.

footstepsfrom#27
04-29-2012, 07:49 PM
Per ESPN: Former high school quarterback that took some time to adjust to playing WR in college. Accountable and handles his business on and off the field. Really matured and made big strides his final year on campus.

Sounds like someone who could still improve a ton.
Sounds like an intriguing prospect if that''s accurate...just the kind of hungry player that might make it possibly.

R8R H8R
04-29-2012, 08:33 PM
How does 4.6 compare to Marshall? Just wondering.

lonestar
04-29-2012, 08:36 PM
pratice squad fodder

OBF1
04-29-2012, 08:39 PM
Pac 12 player... See Keyshawn and freddie mitchell

Lestat
04-29-2012, 08:54 PM
So how did he manage 77 catches, 1397 yards, 7 TD's and an 18.1 ypc average? He must have something going for him to do that in a major college conference. There are plenty of 4.6 forty guys who have made it and the rest of what you're saying sounds like coaching. I like the pickup.

the question was asked why he was not drafted. that's why, i didn't say he wasn't talented. he's just not polished. he's similar in size and frame to Jeff Fuller. he has talent and little things you can work with, but he doesn't have a standout tool that's exceptional.

not saying he won't develop into a nice player, but the reality is he's not that good right now and needs a lot of work. otherwise he might have been snatched up by another team and we don't get a shot at him. so it's a good thing for us that he has work to do.

Bacchus
04-29-2012, 09:23 PM

He is a one hit wonder. He came out of no where last year and had a great season. Lets hope it continues into his NFL career.

Wes Mantooth
04-29-2012, 09:27 PM
Pac 12 player... See Keyshawn and freddie mitchell

Point?

Lestat
04-29-2012, 09:35 PM
Point?
probably pointing out that generalization that Pac-12 WR's in general don't pan out to their enormous expectations. kinda like Big 12 ones.

the style of play doesn't always translate to the NFL.

DBroncos4life
04-29-2012, 09:43 PM
probably pointing out that generalization that Pac-12 WR's in general don't pan out to their enormous expectations. kinda like Big 12 ones.

the style of play doesn't always translate to the NFL.

I would love this guy to not pan out like Keyshawn Johnson!!!!

Hamrob
04-29-2012, 09:51 PM
Take a look at this clip. Osweiler to Robinson. I tell you what...there is some great talent here. We are damn lucky to have these two kids. This is against Boise...which, doesn't lose folks. Great stuff!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJuLDmI-o8U

Lestat
04-29-2012, 09:53 PM
I would love this guy to not pan out like Keyshawn Johnson!!!!

i'd rather he pan out like Calvin Johnson myself, but Cal didn't play in the Pac-12 so i guess that comparison is out.

Lestat
04-29-2012, 09:56 PM
Take a look at this clip. Osweiler to Robinson. I tell you what...there is some great talent here. We are damn lucky to have these two kids. This is against Boise...which, doesn't lose folks. Great stuff!

if Manning can make Austin Collie,Blair White look good as well as develop Garcon, dammit he should be able to make Robinson a all pro.

i really am interested to see how Manning adjusts to having big WR's for the first time in his career. granted he used his TE's a lot but most of his WR's were smaller pure route runner types.

BroncoMan4ever
04-29-2012, 10:14 PM

i think it is pretty even. Marshall might be a step faster but i think they are pretty much even in the 40 time.

Hamrob
04-29-2012, 10:17 PM
I'm really surpised he didn't get drafted. I wonder if there are off field issues?

The kid not only looked like a beast he produced. Amazing that nobody drafted him.

Hamrob
04-29-2012, 10:19 PM
if Manning can make Austin Collie,Blair White look good as well as develop Garcon, dammit he should be able to make Robinson a all pro.

i really am interested to see how Manning adjusts to having big WR's for the first time in his career. granted he used his TE's a lot but most of his WR's were smaller pure route runner types.I am too. He'll have the TE's. He'll have big possession type guys. I'm not sure about quick/fast guys. Stokes is up there...and Hill and Caldwell.

Jason in LA
04-29-2012, 11:07 PM
I'll pass on Keyshawn's attitude, but I'll take his production. 800+ catches, 10,000+ yards, 60+ TDs, 3 Pro Bowls and one All Pro. Ah, who wouldn't want that?

extralife
04-29-2012, 11:25 PM
yeah, I like how comparing a UDFA to Keyshawn is supposed to be a slight on the UDFA. Man, I sure would be disappointed!

Agamemnon
04-29-2012, 11:44 PM
i think it is pretty even. Marshall might be a step faster but i think they are pretty much even in the 40 time.

The 40 time I found for Marshall is 4.56, so yep they have virtually the same track speed. As far as actual football speed, who knows? He could be faster, slower, or equal. It would certainly seem like Robinson has the physical tools to succeed in the NFL looking at his physical similarities to Marshall, but only time will tell.

Drek
04-30-2012, 02:51 AM
Marshall's combine + pro day:
Height: 6044
Weight: 229
40 Yrd Dash: 4.52
20 Yrd Dash: 2.71
10 Yrd Dash: 1.60
Vertical Jump: 37
Broad Jump: 10'00"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.31
3-Cone Drill: 6.96

Robinson combine + pro day:
Height: 6031
Weight: 227
40 Yrd Dash: 4.62
Vertical Jump: 35 1/2
Broad Jump: 09'05"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.15
3-Cone Drill: 7.10

Marshall didn't show up until late in his collegiate career because he moved back and forth between WR and safety as team needs dictated. Gerrell Robinson didn't show up until his senior year for who knows what reason. That lack of production is why he slipped. And no, he isn't the same athlete as Marshall. He's a step behind across the board and even then Marshall plays bigger, stronger, and faster than his numbers.

Great value for a UDFA but lets wait and see what he does before we start comparing him to pro bowl level talents.

Agamemnon
04-30-2012, 05:29 AM
Marshall's combine + pro day:
Height: 6044
Weight: 229
40 Yrd Dash: 4.52
20 Yrd Dash: 2.71
10 Yrd Dash: 1.60
Vertical Jump: 37
Broad Jump: 10'00"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.31
3-Cone Drill: 6.96

Robinson combine + pro day:
Height: 6031
Weight: 227
40 Yrd Dash: 4.62
Vertical Jump: 35 1/2
Broad Jump: 09'05"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.15
3-Cone Drill: 7.10

Marshall didn't show up until late in his collegiate career because he moved back and forth between WR and safety as team needs dictated. Gerrell Robinson didn't show up until his senior year for who knows what reason. That lack of production is why he slipped. And no, he isn't the same athlete as Marshall. He's a step behind across the board and even then Marshall plays bigger, stronger, and faster than his numbers.

Great value for a UDFA but lets wait and see what he does before we start comparing him to pro bowl level talents.

I went and watched the clips available of the guy on youtube (not highlight reels), and as far as I can tell the comparisons are more than valid. Who knows if Robinson will do anything in the NFL, but he plays a lot like Marshall on the college level at least.

Rohirrim
04-30-2012, 05:40 AM
Yeah, but Marshall is a worthless pos as a human being. I'll take Robinson over Marshall any day of the week. There is a reason Marshall is on his third team. Ask Darrent Williams.

footstepsfrom#27
04-30-2012, 05:52 AM
Marshall supposedly ran a 4.49 or something, but I don't think that was an official time, and if memory serves, he was a 4.55 kind of guy, not much difference there. On balance I'd have happily sacrificed .05 off the 40 time for a few more IQ points and an attitude adjustment.

footstepsfrom#27
04-30-2012, 06:03 AM

I don't think him not showing up till his senior year explains completely falling out of the draft. It might explain going in the 6th round but you can't tell me that 77 catches, 1400 yards and 7 TD's to go along with prototypical WR size and a major college pedigree accounts for all 32 teams taking a pass on this guy. Every now and then as we have all seen in people like the Rod Smith's of the world, a guy just somehow falls through the cracks. Since there are apparently no medical issues or character flaws that have come to light, I think this might be one of those times. Marshall had better combine numbers, but he also played against lesser competition and his numbers aren't radically better, just marginally so. It's not like Marshall ran 4.3. In any case Marshall cost us a 4th and this guy was free so I love the potential value of this pickup. Someone mentioned Manning making average guys look great...and since we're in need of WR's right now...this pick has me thinking we may have benefitted from this ASU/Jack Elway connection in terms of inside information here. How sweet would it be if he turns out to be the next Rod Smith UDFA guy for us? At worst I'm thinking practice squad for a year till he irons out some of his techniques and gets a chance to work on things.

Cosmo
04-30-2012, 06:06 AM
That video clip is from the MAACO Bowl. He finished that game with 13 catches for 241 yards, and 1 TD. That's pretty damn good against Boise.

Drek
04-30-2012, 06:07 AM
I went and watched the clips available of the guy on youtube (not highlight reels), and as far as I can tell the comparisons are more than valid. Who knows if Robinson will do anything in the NFL, but he plays a lot like Marshall on the college level at least.

Great, youtube clips of college games make a lot of guys look really good.

Does Robinson have the same chip on his shoulder that Marshall had? The same sudden and overpowering strength that goes beyond measurables? We'll see but I have a hard time believing it. Marshall is a broken individual but that disconnect with reality is likely a big part of why he plays football as well as he does. He never held anything back and has zero fear about getting hurt or hurting others.

I will say that I think Marshall has somewhat lost that since going to Miami and getting paid. Now that he's got his money he's starting to show the same focus issues that plagued Randy Moss throughout the middle of his career. Personally I think he just got his "Randy Moss to the Raiders" trade.

footstepsfrom#27
04-30-2012, 06:10 AM
I'm also trying to recall what Marshall averaged in college per catch and I don't think it was 18 yards a pop...a figure you'd normally associate with being a deep threat. This guy got open often and deep or else he gained alot of yards after the catch, and either way I'm stoked about that aspect of it.

Drek
04-30-2012, 06:18 AM
I don't think him not showing up till his senior year explains completely falling out of the draft. It might explain going in the 6th round but you can't tell me that 77 catches, 1400 yards and 7 TD's to go along with prototypical WR size and a major college pedigree accounts for all 32 teams taking a pass on this guy. Every now and then as we have all seen in people like the Rod Smith's of the world, a guy just somehow falls through the cracks. Since there are apparently no medical issues or character flaws that have come to light, I think this might be one of those times. Marshall had better combine numbers, but he also played against lesser competition and his numbers aren't radically better, just marginally so. It's not like Marshall ran 4.3. In any case Marshall cost us a 4th and this guy was free so I love the potential value of this pickup. Someone mentioned Manning making average guys look great...and since we're in need of WR's right now...this pick has me thinking we may have benefitted from this ASU/Jack Elway connection in terms of inside information here. How sweet would it be if he turns out to be the next Rod Smith UDFA guy for us? At worst I'm thinking practice squad for a year till he irons out some of his techniques and gets a chance to work on things.
Marshall's numbers at WR were tempered by him playing safety, not just being ineffective for several years.

Also, where you go is largely a product of your draft class. If Robinson had come out in the same class as Marshall he likely would have been picked in the 5th or 6th round. In this class the need for his style of WR is reduced. We see that proven in how Rueben Randle, a similar player with more raw athleticism and more collegiate production, slid into the late 2nd round.

I'm not hating on the guy. I think he's a very interesting prospect. But that is why he slid. He was a nobody until last season and gave ASU almost nothing of value. Then he blows up big. His combine numbers don't make teams sit up and take notice, his technique on film don't make teams sit up and take notice. He's basically checks all the boxes with "average" to "above average" grades but nothing "great" that makes a team picture a pro bowl in his future. Those guys go unnoticed and that causes 5th or 6th round talent to slide completely out of the draft in favor of someone who is wildly deficient at 80% of his positional skills but is awesome at the other 20%.

We got a steal here for a UDFA, definitely. He's got real potential. But he needs to show the ability to grow some of those average to above average skills into great skills.

jhns
04-30-2012, 06:28 AM
Good prospect. I would assume he fell out of the draft because there were like 700 receivers taken. It was a deep receiving class. Of course, his numbers could also be because of a good QB and weak competition. I really don't know.

footstepsfrom#27
04-30-2012, 06:42 AM
I watched the Youtube clip...a full 3:07 of nothing but this guy making catch after catch against the 7th ranked team in the country with no repeat footage. That's alot of highlight reel for a single game. Late in the clip he makes a catch and a couple sweet moves for a guy that size including a spin move that loses the DB entirely. I'm not really buying all the technical info being presented in here about his tools since I have trouble believing anybody's paid that close attention prior to now. As I said before, there are plenty of late bloomers, one hit wonders, and production guys without huge combine numbers who got drafted. Nothing I've heard so far tells me why this guy didn't at least make it into the 7th round. I'm pretty sure if I go throught the WR picks I'll find a bunch that have considerably more question marks than this kid. Alot of these teams get so caught up with physical measurables and combine warriors like the Poe kid KC took at NT and they forget that some guys are just flat out football players like Chris Spielman, Tom Brady or TD. I like guys like that who can just simply play, reguardless of what their measurables say. BTW...Osweiler looks like he possesses a pretty live arm in this clip as reports have indicated.

Rohirrim
04-30-2012, 06:46 AM
I watched the Youtube clip...a full 3:07 of nothing but this guy making catch after catch against the 7th ranked team in the country with no repeat footage. That's alot of highlight reel for a single game. Late in the clip he makes a catch and a couple sweet moves for a guy that size including a spin move that loses the DB entirely. I'm not really buying all the technical info being presented in here about his tools since I have trouble believing anybody's paid that close attention prior to now. As I said before, there are plenty of late bloomers, one hit wonders, and production guys without huge combine numbers who got drafted. Nothing I've heard so far tells me why this guy didn't at least make it into the 7th round. I'm pretty sure if I go throught the WR picks I'll find a bunch that have considerably more question marks than this kid. Alot of these teams get so caught up with physical measurables and combine warriors like the Poe kid KC took at NT and they forget that some guys are just flat out football players like Chris Spielman, Tom Brady or TD. I like guys like that who can just simply play, reguardless of what their measurables say. BTW...Osweiler looks like he possesses a pretty live arm in this clip as reports have indicated.

Hopefully, Robinson has the work ethic of Rod Smith.

55CrushEm
04-30-2012, 06:53 AM

Not to deflate your bubble.....but all that **** happened when ASU was down anywhere from 3-5 scores......

Drek
04-30-2012, 06:56 AM
Alot of these teams get so caught up with physical measurables and combine warriors like the Poe kid KC took at NT and they forget that some guys are just flat out football players like Chris Spielman, Tom Brady or TD. I like guys like that who can just simply play, reguardless of what their measurables say.

Damn man, do you read the **** you type?

Up until just last season the kid was nothing but measureables. Pretty good ones too, just not the kind that makes him stand out. He's had ONE good season. Now he's lumped with "just flat out football players" like Chris Spielman and Tom Brady. A potential UDFA steal like Rod Smith.

Talk about having zero objectivity.

He's a good UDFA signing. Any other year he's probably a day 3 pick. This class had a bunch of similar guys though and teams drafted them later as a result of the excess inventory. Great. That means he's probably slightly more likely to actually be on the roster after August than most UDFAs. Guy still needs to significantly step his game up before he's going to really contribute to this team.

Bahshay
04-30-2012, 06:59 AM

Good clip. I can see the Marshall comparison in terms of size and strength, he had to be gang tackled on almost every catch. However, you can clearly see the lack of speed. He was only ever open when he found space in a zone, he never outran any CBs in man. He was also caught from behind by a LB while running with the ball. He doesn't look like he will ever be a deep threat. He also caught the ball with his body nearly every play. Basically, all of the concerns LeStat pointed to are pretty evident in that clip.

Could be develop into a decent possession receiver in time, considering he is just learning the position now (former QB). Looks like a solid guy for the practice squad this year.

Agamemnon
04-30-2012, 07:09 AM
Great, youtube clips of college games make a lot of guys look really good.

Does Robinson have the same chip on his shoulder that Marshall had? The same sudden and overpowering strength that goes beyond measurables? We'll see but I have a hard time believing it. Marshall is a broken individual but that disconnect with reality is likely a big part of why he plays football as well as he does. He never held anything back and has zero fear about getting hurt or hurting others.

I will say that I think Marshall has somewhat lost that since going to Miami and getting paid. Now that he's got his money he's starting to show the same focus issues that plagued Randy Moss throughout the middle of his career. Personally I think he just got his "Randy Moss to the Raiders" trade.

He doesn't need youtube videos to make him "look good". His rather impressive production last season already does that. And anyway, my point wasn't about how good he looked, but about how much he plays like Marshall style-wise. I'm not saying he will ever be as good in the NFL (no one knows that), I'm simply saying his style of play is similar.

Agamemnon
04-30-2012, 07:18 AM
Good clip. I can see the Marshall comparison in terms of size and strength, he had to be gang tackled on almost every catch. However, you can clearly see the lack of speed. He was only ever open when he found space in a zone, he never outran any CBs in man. He was also caught from behind by a LB while running with the ball. He doesn't look like he will ever be a deep threat. He also caught the ball with his body nearly every play. Basically, all of the concerns LeStat pointed to are pretty evident in that clip.

Could be develop into a decent possession receiver in time, considering he is just learning the position now (former QB). Looks like a solid guy for the practice squad this year.

He wasn't anywhere near as slow as you are claiming in that clip. Come on now.

footstepsfrom#27
04-30-2012, 07:18 AM
Damn man, do you read the **** you type?

Up until just last season the kid was nothing but measureables. Pretty good ones too, just not the kind that makes him stand out. He's had ONE good season. Now he's lumped with "just flat out football players" like Chris Spielman and Tom Brady. A potential UDFA steal like Rod Smith.
Talk about having zero objectivity.
Do you understand what "context" means? I didn't "lump him in" with Brady, TD or Spielman. I said I like guys like that...in other words guys who succeed in the league even though their combine numbers don't impress. That's a vallid point, and I used three examples of guys drafted lower than they should have been based on that. What should I have done...used examples of mediocre players without good combine numbes to make my point? If you assumed I was comparing this kid to those guys in terms of his expected success in the league you're way off base and need a grade school reader. As for him doing it only one year, so did alot of other guys who got picked in this draft, including the QB throwing him the ball that Elway (who we can probably conclude knows what he's looking for in a QB) drafted in the 2nd round. My thread wasn't about this guy being the next Rod Smith it's about asking why he wasn't at least drafted late, which nothing you've said has so far provided a legitimate answer for IMO.
He's a good UDFA signing. Any other year he's probably a day 3 pick. This class had a bunch of similar guys though and teams drafted them later as a result of the excess inventory. Great. That means he's probably slightly more likely to actually be on the roster after August than most UDFAs. Guy still needs to significantly step his game up before he's going to really contribute to this team.
You just made my point..."this class had a bunch of similar guys though and teams drafted them later..." Exactly...teams DRAFTED THEM. I'm not sure you can find me another guy in division 1A who caught 77 for 1400 yards and averaged 18 ypc though...who didn't get drafted. Can you? If so, can you find one who is 6'3", 227 pounds? If objectivity is in question here I think it's yours we need to talk about. You seem to know an awful lot about this guy...did you watch him throughout the year as an ASU fan or are you just making up stuff to find a position opposite mine...namely that he's an interesting pickup who might really pan out? I think whether he's a one year wonder or not his production last year justifies being excited about a guy we just got at a position of need for free, especially since I know the guy throwing the ball to him can make Brandon Stokely look good.

Drek
04-30-2012, 07:23 AM
He doesn't need youtube videos to make him "look good". His rather impressive production last season already does that. And anyway, my point wasn't about how good he looked, but about how much he plays like Marshall style-wise. I'm not saying he will ever be as good in the NFL (no one knows that), I'm simply saying his style of play is similar.

I have yet to see a video of his where he physically dominates the opposition like Marshall did when he was on. I see a guy who finds holes in zone coverage and relies on his height to win jump balls. Only average catching with his hands, doesn't attack the ball in the air if he can let it come to his chest instead. Not a ton of run after the catch ability shown.

That doesn't sound like Marshall, other than using his height to win jump balls. Marshall attacked the ball aggressively with his hands and was at his best after the catch. Marshall is a rare talent though and not the kind of guy we should be comparing a UDFA to.

He reminds me of Marques Colston if anything. Not an overly physical guy despite his size, which he uses more like a basketball player than a tight end. Colston had better speed when he entered the league and a bit more height, but the big game changer for him was when he learned how to make his own openings and not just depend on when he found gaps in coverage. Colston mostly does that thanks to good speed for a guy his size, Robinson doesn't have that. He needs to fill out his frame with some muscle and learn to create openings by being more physically punishing if he's going to step up beyond "good WR depth" status.

The tools are definitely there, he just needs some conditioning work and more time to learn the fundamentals of playing WR. But he's got a lot of work to put in for those to develop and for him to pay off.

I'd be surprised if he makes the 53 man roster now that we've signed Eric Page, a very technically sound and more experienced WR, but he'd be a great PS addition.

footstepsfrom#27
04-30-2012, 07:30 AM
Drek you like to talk like a guy whose been scouting this guy his whole career but your negative "analysis" from the previous post is based on a 3 minute Youtube clip, one in which he ate the 7th ranked Boise team alive ironically. According to you he's probably lucky to walk upright and chew gum at the same time. I'll wait till the pads go on to judge whether he's only slightly likely to make the team or not, but as for answering my original question about why he wasn't drafted, you didn't.

Agamemnon
04-30-2012, 07:30 AM
I have yet to see a video of his where he physically dominates the opposition like Marshall did when he was on. I see a guy who finds holes in zone coverage and relies on his height to win jump balls. Only average catching with his hands, doesn't attack the ball in the air if he can let it come to his chest instead. Not a ton of run after the catch ability shown.

That doesn't sound like Marshall, other than using his height to win jump balls. Marshall attacked the ball aggressively with his hands and was at his best after the catch. Marshall is a rare talent though and not the kind of guy we should be comparing a UDFA to.

He reminds me of Marques Colston if anything. Not an overly physical guy despite his size, which he uses more like a basketball player than a tight end. Colston had better speed when he entered the league and a bit more height, but the big game changer for him was when he learned how to make his own openings and not just depend on when he found gaps in coverage. Colston mostly does that thanks to good speed for a guy his size, Robinson doesn't have that. He needs to fill out his frame with some muscle and learn to create openings by being more physically punishing if he's going to step up beyond "good WR depth" status.

The tools are definitely there, he just needs some conditioning work and more time to learn the fundamentals of playing WR. But he's got a lot of work to put in for those to develop and for him to pay off.

I'd be surprised if he makes the 53 man roster now that we've signed Eric Page, a very technically sound and more experienced WR, but he'd be a great PS addition.

Jesus Christ man, you really think you know a lot more about this guy (and Marshall honestly) than you really do. The guy plays a similar style to Marshall. He isn't identical, as no player would be, but the similarities are there. Honestly the way you talk about Marshall makes me wonder if all you remember of the guy were the few plays he really beasted out and broke a ton of tackles, which were few and far between. The clips I'm seeing of Robinson fit the same general style of receiver. You really need to get a clue.

Tom_Foolery
04-30-2012, 07:32 AM

I'd be surprised if he makes the 53 man roster now that we've signed Eric Page, a very technically sound and more experienced WR, but he'd be a great PS addition.I like the idea of a developmental prospect but I'm looking for ol depth.

footstepsfrom#27
04-30-2012, 07:33 AM
Jesus Christ man, you really think you know a lot more about this guy (and Marshall honestly) than you really do. The guy plays a similar style to Marshall. He isn't identical, as no player would be, but the similarities are there. Honestly the way you talk about Marshall makes me wonder if all you remember of the guy were the few plays he really beasted out and broke a ton of tackles, which were few and far between. The clips I'm seeing of Robinson fit the same general style of receiver. You really need to get a clue.
I agree...their playing style does seem similar. In fact on a couple of those catch and runs he looks remarkably like Marshall, especially the spin move where he scored near the end of the clip. I was hoping we'd land a WR somewhere in this draft because we're thin there, so maybe we got lucky here, time will tell.

Battery is going...I'm gonne jump back onto this thread later...

socalorado
04-30-2012, 07:42 AM
Wow! Glad we got him! I always figured he would be a late round player that DEN wouldnt target due to team needs, but i am glad he didnt get drafted! Forgot all about him.
Whats so great about these types of players is there is no downside.
Manning can take a player like this and make him a Pro Bowler.

Drek
04-30-2012, 07:52 AM
Do you understand what "context" means? I didn't "lump him in" with Brady, TD or Spielman. I said I like guys like that...in other words guys who succeed in the league even though their combine numbers don't impress. That's a vallid point, and I used three examples of guys drafted lower than they should have been based on that.
Except his measureables were pretty solid so he didn't slide due to a poor combine or lack of perceived athleticism. He also isn't Just a football player" like you claimed when comparing him to Brady (multi-season starter who won part of a national championship) or Speilman (two time All-American, Lombardi award winner, one of the best OSU players ever).

Your comparison fails on both premises. He did not slide due to poor perceived athleticism and he has not track record as a guy who outplays his measurables or perceived athletic talent. Since neither premise is true you basically just lumped his name in with two multiple pro-bowlers for basically no reason.

My thread wasn't about this guy being the next Rod Smith it's about asking why he wasn't at least drafted late, which nothing you've said has so far provided a legitimate answer for IMO.
Which I have explained multiple times. He's a JAG. Just another guy. This draft had plenty of tall, good sized WRs with solid but not spectacular combine numbers. Most of them produced for more than one season. They got drafted before him largely thanks to that. Simple as that.

You just made my point..."this class had a bunch of similar guys though and teams drafted them later..." Exactly...teams DRAFTED THEM. I'm not sure you can find me another guy in division 1A who caught 77 for 1400 yards and averaged 18 ypc though...who didn't get drafted. Can you? If so, can you find one who is 6'3", 227 pounds?
His single season numbers don't carry a ton of weight in NFL circles because the positives (highly productive) are off-set by the negatives (why didn't he do a damn thing before now?). There are at least a dozen guys with similar height, weight, speed, strength measurables to him that went undrafted as well. Most of them produced multiple years in college.

Marvin McNutt had a very similar senior year (>1300 yards, 12 TDs to Robinson's 7), he's of similar size, similar measurables, and he produced well in two seasons prior to his big year, putting up >1400 yards between his sophomore and junior years with 16 TDs. He went to Philly with the 25th pick in the 6th round.

Why didn't Dwight Jones get drafted? He's similar size, ran faster at the combine, had 1200 yards last season with 12 touchdowns. He had nearly 1000 yards the year before too.

Jeff Fuller, similar size, ran faster at the combine, caught 34 touchdowns in his career. Was more productive in any one collegiate season than Robinson was in his combined collegiate career other than his senior year. Had over 1000 yards as a junior as well. Undrafted.

Tyler Shoemaker, similar size, ran a 40 time in the 4.4's. Had just under a 1000 yards last year but caught 16 touchdowns. Steady growth throughout four years of contribution at Boise State, no erratic patterns of performance. Also Undrafted.

This is even ignoring guys like Boykin, Moye, Tuinei, etc. who have similar size and measurables, more consistent college numbers, but lack the big senior year who didn't get drafted as well.

Robinson's senior season is why he was the first one of these guys signed when the draft ended. If the class wasn't so juiced with big WR talent he would have been drafted. But this year you couldn't throw a rock at the combine without hitting a 6'2" to 6'5", 215-230 pound WR with 4.6's or better speed.

If objectivity is in question here I think it's yours we need to talk about. You seem to know an awful lot about this guy...did you watch him throughout the year as an ASU fan or are you just making up stuff to find a position opposite mine...
Why would I just take the opinion opposite you? I don't really care too much if you want to wank over a guy, but you started this thread on a false premise. You asked why he didn't get drafted. That has been pointed out repeatedly. You persist to act like we just grabbed some massive steal that every other team ****ed up to not draft.

namely that he's an interesting pickup who might really pan out? I think whether he's a one year wonder or not his production last year justifies being excited about a guy we just got at a position of need for free
He's a nice pick up, I've said that. But him falling out of the draft isn't a big surprise and he has a lot of work to do before he's someone we're going to enjoy seeing play on Sundays. He also has a far better all around WR prospect in Eric Page signed over him already. He'll be in a dog fight to even make the PS if any of Hill, Caldwell, Willis, or Dell show up with some fire in them.

especially since I know the guy throwing the ball to him can make Brandon Stokely look good.
You mean the same Brandon Stokley who posted better numbers in two of his three years with us than he did in all but one season with Manning? Stoke is a solid WR and your cheap shot at him underscores just how ****ty your argument really is.

WinningMatters
04-30-2012, 11:37 AM
Along with being a diehard Bronco fan for many years, I am also a lifelong ASU fan and have had the chance to follow G-Rob since his high school days. He was a QB in high school and had never played WR until he got to ASU. Erickson was an idiot and didn't redshirt him and he had a really tough transition to the position. His Junior year he finally started to show flashes, but dropped some passes and was slowed by a hamstring issue. He made it a goal for his senior season to go out on top and every ASU fan knows that he was the biggest leader on the team. He worked his butt off in the offseason and was by far the guy who put in the most work and it showed on the field. He does not have elite speed, but was actually clocked at the combine before the official time came at 4.55. He is still learning the position and needs to work on catching the ball with his hands more. I honestly think that we got a HUGE steal by not even having to draft him. I can see the B. Marshall comparisons, but he needs to keep learning the position as he has only played it for a short time. I strongly believe that he will make the roster and be an asset for Manning. He is just too good at finding the right spot to get open and is not afraid of going across the middle for a first down. I can't tell you how many times he bailed out Brock on third downs. Watch clips of the ASU UA game and he played just as well in that game as he did in the Boise State game. I firmly believe he will be a strong contributor next year. He will put the work in to polish his game.

DarkHorse
04-30-2012, 11:39 AM
pratice squad fodder

Not with our WR roster currently. He could have a wooden leg and he's still better than Matt Willis

Agamemnon
04-30-2012, 12:12 PM
Not with our WR roster currently. He could have a wooden leg and he's still better than Matt Willis

I don't know if I'd go that far, but I do agree with your point. After Decker and Thomas I don't see many players that are just going to be able to completely outclass the kid. Though, ultimately a big part of his ability to stick is going to be ST play. He better be able and willing to lay mother****ers out if he wants to get his shot, being an undrafted guy.

gyldenlove
04-30-2012, 12:20 PM
Big recievers with good numbers and limited athletic ability are a dime a dozen in the draft the common denominator between them is an inability to gain seperation and poor deep speed.

Agamemnon
04-30-2012, 12:24 PM
Big recievers with good numbers and limited athletic ability are a dime a dozen in the draft the common denominator between them is an inability to gain seperation and poor deep speed.

Big receivers do not need great speed to be successful. This is well established. If he can become a good route runner and develop good overall technique the separation will come (separation is not generally about speed outside of deep routes), and at that point he could be a good possession receiver. It all really boils down to whether or not he can master the art of playing the position. Nothing more.

footstepsfrom#27
04-30-2012, 12:44 PM
Along with being a diehard Bronco fan for many years, I am also a lifelong ASU fan and have had the chance to follow G-Rob since his high school days. He was a QB in high school and had never played WR until he got to ASU. Erickson was an idiot and didn't redshirt him and he had a really tough transition to the position. His Junior year he finally started to show flashes, but dropped some passes and was slowed by a hamstring issue. He made it a goal for his senior season to go out on top and every ASU fan knows that he was the biggest leader on the team. He worked his butt off in the offseason and was by far the guy who put in the most work and it showed on the field. He does not have elite speed, but was actually clocked at the combine before the official time came at 4.55. He is still learning the position and needs to work on catching the ball with his hands more. I honestly think that we got a HUGE steal by not even having to draft him. I can see the B. Marshall comparisons, but he needs to keep learning the position as he has only played it for a short time. I strongly believe that he will make the roster and be an asset for Manning. He is just too good at finding the right spot to get open and is not afraid of going across the middle for a first down. I can't tell you how many times he bailed out Brock on third downs. Watch clips of the ASU UA game and he played just as well in that game as he did in the Boise State game. I firmly believe he will be a strong contributor next year. He will put the work in to polish his game.
Bingo...that's what I was hoping for, someone who actually KNOWS something about the kid having watched him, rather than regurgitating condensed google snippets like Drek likes to do while pretending he's privvy to first hand knowledge. You answered the question; he was a QB in high school who transitioned to the WR position and also had a hamstring that held him back. That's the kind of info that makes sense rather than just spouting what ammounts to a "he's not very good" argument which anyone can make whether they know a damn thing or not. UDFA's are a shot in the dark but once in a while a guy has some extenuating circumstances...in this case it appears his aren't that unlike Marshall's, who it's been pointed out played safety initially in college, so when you bring up the fact that this kid hadn't played WR before...and especially coming from a positon like QB which is miles apart in terms of the expected skill set necessary for success from what it takes to play WR, the lack of production prior to his last year coupled with an injury makes the pickup appear like a nice potential find for a guy we just snagged for free.

Nice first post...welcome to the OM. ^5

R8R H8R
04-30-2012, 12:48 PM
The best thing this kid could do for his career(and Hillman too, for that matter), is when he arrives at Dove Valley for the 1st time, is to seek out Manning-he'll be there somewhere-and ask if he can join the throwing sessions he has been conducting since March.

It won't guarantee he makes the team, but it may assure a spot on the PS at the least.

Agamemnon
04-30-2012, 12:53 PM
The best thing this kid could do for his career(and Hillman too, for that matter), is when he arrives at Dove Valley for the 1st time, is to seek out Manning-he'll be there somewhere-and ask if he can join the throwing sessions he has been conducting since March.

It won't guarantee he makes the team, but it may assure a spot on the PS at the least.

The fact that he's already got chemistry with our rookie QB is going to help immensely as well, especially as he will probably be working with him in camp much more than Manning.

Bacchus
04-30-2012, 01:01 PM

Yeah, I expect he will make the practice squad and keep Osweiler company during practices when they are watching Manning run the offense.

footstepsfrom#27
04-30-2012, 01:02 PM
Except his measureables were pretty solid so he didn't slide due to a poor combine or lack of perceived athleticism. He also isn't Just a football player" like you claimed when comparing him to Brady (multi-season starter who won part of a national championship) or Speilman (two time All-American, Lombardi award winner, one of the best OSU players ever).

Your comparison fails on both premises. He did not slide due to poor perceived athleticism and he has not track record as a guy who outplays his measurables or perceived athletic talent. Since neither premise is true you basically just lumped his name in with two multiple pro-bowlers for basically no reason.
I didn't compare him at all, which is why I asked if you know what "context" means, and obviously you don't. Brady was a scrub for two seasons at Michigan, and a very average player his Jr. year before having a solid but unspectacular Sr. season and was lucky enough to be on a great team unlike this kid. Why do you think he fell to the 6th round? As for "comparing" him to Brady, et all...that's your straw man. I never compared him to any of those guys, only that he, like alot of other guys, finds himself in a boat that includes people like that who didn't show much at the combine but later turned into players. You're in need of a remedial reading course. I was looking for someone who actually KNEW something about the kid...I can google up **** just as easily as you can so why would I be impressed because you managed to summarize a couple psuedo draft sites opinions? The newbie answered my questions...in one post no less instead of your diatribe that did little but eat up time I could have spent sorting socks or something. As for the rest of your jibber jabber...well you didn't answer much on those guys either...which was the point of the whole thread, to find someone who knew what they were talking about rather than cut'n paste expertise.

But thanks all the same.

R8R H8R
04-30-2012, 01:04 PM
The fact that he's already got chemistry with our rookie QB is going to help immensely as well, especially as he will probably be working with him in camp much more than Manning.

True, however it just occurred to me that my advice to Robinson and Hillman would be just as suitable to Osweiller. If all he did was follow Manning around and watch his work habits and leadership, he can take that info and have his own workouts with guys like Robinson. Wouldn't hurt.

Bahshay
04-30-2012, 01:31 PM
He wasn't anywhere near as slow as you are claiming in that clip. Come on now.

Why? Who did he outrun in that clip? His 40 time doesn't necessarily translate to football speed, but for the sake of reference, there were only 6 WRs slower than him at the combine.

I never said the guy was going to suck or that he was too slow to be a receiver in the NFL. If he can develop into a very good route runner and use his size advantage the way Marshall does, he'll do just fine in the NFL. He doesn't HAVE to be a burner to succeed.

baja
04-30-2012, 01:55 PM

What's your take on Brock or if you already posted it can you link me??

Rohirrim
04-30-2012, 03:22 PM

He'll probably get an e-mail from Manning before he even shows up. ;D

extralife
04-30-2012, 03:27 PM
I'm sure he'll put up numbers in the preseason with Osweiler throwing the ball. He'll get his opportunities to make the team.

ColoradoDarin
04-30-2012, 03:33 PM
I'm sure he'll put up numbers in the preseason with Osweiler throwing the ball. He'll get his opportunities to make the team.

He's a lock for the pre-season OM HoF Award (Wesley Duke Edition)

vancejohnson82
04-30-2012, 03:43 PM
He's a lock for the pre-season OM HoF Award (Wesley Duke Edition)

Domenik Hixon will forever be my favorite recipient of this illustrious award

Willynowei
04-30-2012, 05:51 PM
The Bmarsh of this draft is playing next to Bmarsh in Chicago this year - Alshon Jeffery.

This kid Robinson got to play w/ a great QB in college, and so scouts are going to think that it was mostly due to the QB (which is partly true). I like his size and he moves very well for a big guy despite the 40 speed, but I don't like the way he catches the ball so close to the body.

Before anything matters as a wide receiver, you've got to have great hands. Comparing him to Marshall or Keyshawn Johnson, and what do those two have in common? Great hands, and the ability to pluck the ball out of the air.

This kid doesn't have it, but maybe he can develop it.

WinningMatters
04-30-2012, 05:51 PM
baja I believe that Brock is in the best possible situation to succeed long term. He now has a chance to dedicate all of his time to football and I think he has so much potential. The jump he made from starting the last game of the season his sophomore year in which was a terrible performance for him against UA, but ASU still managed to win the game. It was a terrible game by him, but he still had 250 yards and over 60 yards rushing. From that last game his sophomore year to his games junior year he made an incredible jump in improving his game. He is a gym rat and when he says he is going to follow around PM everywhere I would believe it. I think down the road whenever he gets the chance to take over he will be a top 6 QB in any given season.

Ziggy
04-30-2012, 06:00 PM
He caught for Osweiler during the Broncos private workout with him. That may have factored in to the decision to sign him.

razorwire77
04-30-2012, 06:01 PM

Nice take. Post more often. 4.55 for a big possession receiver is plenty fast enough. I'm wondering if he's going to grow into more of a receiving TE. Seems to me like he's a prime candidate to try and stash on the practice squad.

Cali Euros
04-30-2012, 07:01 PM
There is no way that Robinson does not make the 53 man roster. If we cut him he's not going to make it to our PS so we're going to be forced to keep him on our roster. At 6'3" 220 he's another tall WR for our QBs to throw to. Osweiler is being groomed for the next few years by Peyton Manning/John Elway. Robinson isn't going to start getting playing time for at least a year, if not two. Robinson is going to make Osweiler's transition from backup QB to starting QB that much easier. Also I highly doubt we keep many 5'9" WRs now that Osweiler is the future at QB. Osweiler is 6'7", he's going to overthrow them a lot if we have them, he did it in college quite a bit when he threw it to Jamal Miles or Aaron Pflugrad. Both of whom are going to be pretty good role players in the NFL, Miles as a 3rd down change of pace back when he comes out, and Pflugrad as a slot WR. I can definitely see Robinson being our No. 2 WR when Osweiler takes over with DT as the No. 1 and Decker in the slot.

Hamrob
04-30-2012, 08:49 PM
Wow, there are some critics on here. What's not to like with this kid. He was a stud last season. He has size and playmaking ability. Anyone who watches the tape can see that. We got him for a bag of chips...and guess what...we took his QB in the 2nd round.

That's good stuff. He'll probably get sent to the Practice squad for a year...considering we brought Stokes back...but, there's nothing wrong with that.

My entire point is this...the kid exceled against very good talent...he's big with plenty of upside...and he was FREE! I can't believe he didn't get drafted.

Great stuff.....in my opinion.

Another thing....I didn't like where we took a lot of these guys this year. We reached a little in terms of value. But, I did like the mix of guys we got...regardless of where we took them.

lonestar
04-30-2012, 09:07 PM
Wow, there are some critics on here. What's not to like with this kid. He was a stud last season. He has size and playmaking ability. Anyone who watches the tape can see that. We got him for a bag of chips...and guess what...we took his QB in the 2nd round.

That's good stuff. He'll probably get sent to the Practice squad for a year...considering we brought Stokes back...but, there's nothing wrong with that.

My entire point is this...the kid exceled against very good talent...he's big with plenty of upside...and he was FREE! I can't believe he didn't get drafted.

Another thing....I didn't like where we took a lot of these guys this year. We reached a little in terms of value. But, I did like the mix of guys we got...regardless of where we took them.

I would have thought by now you would know that almost everyone that bitches is smarter than EFX..

razorwire77
04-30-2012, 09:44 PM
There is no way that Robinson does not make the 53 man roster. If we cut him he's not going to make it to our PS so we're going to be forced to keep him on our roster. At 6'3" 220 he's another tall WR for our QBs to throw to.

Wait. . . Wait. . . Wait . . .
OK so the kid is physical. The kid has potential, but no udfa is a shoe in to make a 53 man roster. 7 rounds went by and nobody drafted this kid, so I think it's fair to say that there won't necessarily be a line of teams tripping over themselves to sign him off of our practice squad. By all accounts he's an intriguing prospect, but he appears to have some issues catching the ball with his hands, his routes appear to need work and yes, he's physical and willing to go over the middle, but from what I saw he's not particularly sudden or quick off of the snap (even for a big WR).

Let's see at least see what he does in otas and camp before we anoint him with the in loving memory of Wesley Duke award.

El Jué
04-30-2012, 09:53 PM

Not a lot of YAC. Seems to be satisfied just catching the ball most times.

UberBroncoMan
04-30-2012, 09:55 PM
Camp fodder.

He's not the only big body WR we have on the team atm.

...and for people who won't stop bringing up this was Brock's target. Manning is our QB. Probably for the next 3-5 years.

footstepsfrom#27
04-30-2012, 10:00 PM
Not a lot of YAC. Seems to be satisfied just catching the ball most times.
Huh? He averaged 18.1 ypc, meaning he either caught a lot of deep stuff or he gained yac with regularity, and in several clips I've seen he does it over and over again. It occurs to me he could also possibly wind up being converted to a Dallas Clark style TE or H-back kind of player.

baja
04-30-2012, 10:01 PM

I know what you mean nobody would have bietched if we took him in the fourth round and we get him as a UDFA. I believe EFX has really helped this team in this draft and for sure there will be a couple of players on the final roster that are not signed yet.

El Jué
04-30-2012, 10:15 PM
Huh? He averaged 18.1 ypc, meaning he either caught a lot of deep stuff or he gained yac with regularity, and in several clips I've seen he does it over and over again. It occurs to me he could also possibly wind up being converted to a Dallas Clark style TE or H-back kind of player.

I'm only going off the Boise State clip that Hamrob posted. The kid goes down on first contact time after time.

There are three plays in which he catches the ball with no one in his immediate vicinity. He pauses while trying to remember how to run and eventually picks up a few yards. I'm thinking that that's not going to work terribly well at the pro level.

footstepsfrom#27
04-30-2012, 10:41 PM
I'm only going off the Boise State clip that Hamrob posted. The kid goes down on first contact time after time.

There are three plays in which he catches the ball with no one in his immediate vicinity. He pauses while trying to remember how to run and eventually picks up a few yards. I'm thinking that that's not going to work terribly well at the pro level.
There are 12 catches on the clip, and in 5 of them he's tackled by multiple defenders, 1 he drags the lone defender several yards into the end zone, 1 he's smacked immediately while he's in the air as he caught the ball by a single defender, 1 he catches the ball and juikes three guys before motoring down the sideline and eventually getting knocked out of bounds by a lone DB and a couple more he gets tripped up running in the open field by ankle tackles that took him off his feet. I don't see the problem based off this clip that you describe.

El Jué
04-30-2012, 10:48 PM
There are 12 catches on the clip, and in 5 of them he's tackled by multiple defenders, 1 he drags the lone defender several yards into the end zone, 1 he's smacked immediately while he's in the air as he caught the ball by a single defender, 1 he catches the ball and juikes three guys before motoring down the sideline and eventually getting knocked out of bounds by a lone DB and a couple more he gets tripped up running in the open field by ankle tackles that took him off his feet. I don't see the problem based off this clip that you describe.

I've watched it twice. I'm not going to watch it again hoping that I can make myself see a professional football player.

footstepsfrom#27
04-30-2012, 11:16 PM
I've watched it twice. I'm not going to watch it again hoping that I can make myself see a professional football player.
Oh good lord.

Cali Euros
04-30-2012, 11:30 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0umPPA2zwBo

Drek
05-01-2012, 06:06 AM

1. he excelled for one season, prior to that he had less production in all his seasons combined than most of his peers did in any one season.

2. he has size. Play making ability is not something you can attribute to a one year wonder now making the jump to the NFL. Knowshon Moreno was a much more dynamic play maker in college. How has his game translated to the NFL?

3. He is a GREAT value signing. Very good UDFA addition. He's part of a very similar pack of WRs, but we're putting Robinson in a better situation than most of those guys as we do have Osweiler. Don't forget that we also have Bolden, so we've brought in a little three man contingent of ASU's best players from last season. A comfort zone has been built and a role can be carved out.

4. Despite #3 though, he's still a darkhorse WR project who needs to prove that not only was last year his real talent level, not an aberration, but that he also has the hunger and ability to take his game to the next level.

Camp fodder.

He's not the only big body WR we have on the team atm.

...and for people who won't stop bringing up this was Brock's target. Manning is our QB. Probably for the next 3-5 years.
I wouldn't call him camp fodder by any stretch, but yes, his ties to Osweiler won't give him much of a bump.

His real problem is Eric Page. He's a textbook Manning WR. Quicker than fast, good hands, runs REALLY crisp routes. He's basically Brandon Stokley version 2.0. That isn't going to be easy camp competition.

footstepsfrom#27
05-01-2012, 06:30 AM
1. he excelled for one season, prior to that he had less production in all his seasons combined than most of his peers did in any one season. WinningMatters is an ASU fan who already explained this; he was: 1) A QB in high school, not a WR, so he was making a very difficult transition to WR at ASU which accounts for why he didn't play earlier. 2) He wasn't redshirted and should have been. 3) He had a hamstring injury, which as we know can be an ongoing, nagging injury that doesn't heal without pure rest. Add these factors together and now you know why he was a one year wonder. What Knowshon Moreno has to do with this is beyond me...not even the same position, entirely different set of circumstances. He's basically a late bloomer who didn't get his chance to shine till his Sr. year and then he took advantage of it, essentially the kind of circumstancial factors that teams can utilize if they know about it, which obviously EFX does becase of the Jack Elway connection at ASU. While we're at it...Osweiler was a one year wonder also, and he didn't switch positions...yet he went in the 2nd round. That blows the theory that this was why he didn't get drafted, and now we know what happened so we don't have to guess any more. On a hopeful note, he's apparently a very hard worker which is what any UDFA has to be to get a shot.

Broncos_OTM
05-01-2012, 06:38 AM
camp competition, should be a fun camp to go and watch!

Drek
05-01-2012, 06:49 AM
WinningMatters is an ASU fan who already explained this; he was: 1) A QB in high school, not a WR, so he was making a very difficult transition to WR at ASU which accounts for why he didn't play earlier. 2) He wasn't redshirted and should have been. 3) He had a hamstring injury, which as we know can be an ongoing, nagging injury that doesn't heal without pure rest. Add these factors together and now you know why he was a one year wonder.
TONS of kids make the transition from high school QB to WR/RB/DB in college every year. Most of them don't take three years of bench warming before they contribute.

What Knowshon Moreno has to do with this is beyond me...not even the same position, entirely different set of circumstances.
Except how he's a perfect example of how the level of athleticism needed to be a play maker in college is entirely different than what is required to be such a player in the pros. Its a pretty direct comparison of how two guys produce with the ball in their hands.

He's basically a late bloomer who didn't get his chance to shine till his Sr. year and then he took advantage of it, essentially the kind of circumstancial factors that teams can utilize if they know about it, which obviously EFX does becase of the Jack Elway connection at ASU.
And late bloomers consistently fail to bloom in the very narrow window they get in the pros. Maybe all the circumstantial things were why he was a late bloomer, or maybe he just takes a while to ramp up to a new level of competition. If its the former then great, he has a real shot. If its the later he'll be out of the league before his head stops spinning. We don't know.

While we're at it...Osweiler was a one year wonder also, and he didn't switch positions...yet he went in the 2nd round. That blows the theory that this was why he didn't get drafted, and now we know what happened so we don't have to guess any more.
Except Osweiler was over drafted even by QB standards and despite that the raw talent gap between Osweiler relative to other QBs and Robinson relative to other WRs is pretty massive. Osweiler has freak tier size, top tier arm strength, and well above average athleticism for the QB position. Robinson has top tier size, average athleticism, and questionable fundamentals for a WR.

To accurately compare the two Robinson would need to be more athletic and be about 6'5" or 6'6". That superior athleticism and size got an even less productive WR (Tommy Streeter) drafted.

On a hopeful note, he's apparently a very hard worker which is what any UDFA has to be to get a shot.
Of course, and if he's a hard worker I'd expect him to stick around and be a valuable contributor at some point with this team. The potential is there, as it is with many of his peers, but he has been put into an ideal situation for him to succeed long term.

His short term potential to contribute isn't great though. We have too many far more polished guys ahead of him and that is Manning's primary requirement. Polish. In two or three years when Osweiler takes over the QB job Robinson could be a sudden break out steal though.

footstepsfrom#27
05-01-2012, 07:02 AM
The point is, you obviously didn't know the kid made the position jump, nor that he had a hamstring injury, nor about his redshirt issue, all the while taling about how he was a one hit wonder, and those are not only legit reasons for his late development, they are the primary reasons apparently...this according to someone who actually watched him, which you obviously didn't or you'd have mentioned it. Tons of kids make the jump? OK...how many WR's in this years college ranks made that jump from QB to WR and were immediately producive, and then went in the draft? "Tons" means what?...ten? Twenty? I'd like to see the list please. Include the ones who had nagging injuries and should have been red shirted and weren't please.

CEH
05-01-2012, 07:36 AM
Antiono Gates says hi. Only he played basketball and went undrafted

Isn't this what you want in an UDFA. Something you saw on tape that you might be able to coach up.

Big wow he was an UDFA. To pick him apart is futile and par for the course for some messageboard GMs

Drek
05-01-2012, 07:50 AM
The point is, you obviously didn't know the kid made the position jump, nor that he had a hamstring injury, nor about his redshirt issue, all the while taling about how he was a one hit wonder, and those are not only legit reasons for his late development, they are the primary reasons apparently...this according to someone who actually watched him, which you obviously didn't or you'd have mentioned it. Tons of kids make the jump? OK...how many WR's in this years college ranks made that jump from QB to WR and were immediately producive, and then went in the draft? "Tons" means what?...ten? Twenty? I'd like to see the list please. Include the ones who had nagging injuries and should have been red shirted and weren't please.

Actually knew about every last one of them. Everyone has such issues, why would I talk about him changing positions from high school to college when he was recruited AS A WR out of high school? This isn't Ryan Tannehill battling for the QB job early in his college career, moving to WR, then moving back to QB. Robinson was a blue chipper at WR and no one every asked him to do anything but play WR from the day he signed his letter of intent.

You keep trying to move the line in your attempt to excuse a complete lack of productivity until last year. Do you actually follow collegiate recruiting? A large number of your best WR prospects were high school QBs running option offenses. Eddie Royal was a High School All-American as an option QB, then made the switch to WR even though he went to an option heavy collegiate program. Michael Crabtree was a high school WR. Rod Smith was a high school QB (hence being the emergency QB his entire time here). Hell, Marcus Allen was a QB in high school. Those are just the ones I personally recall off the top of my head because they were either Broncos or very high profile high school recruits.

Should he have been red shirted? Definitely. Did a hamstring injury likely slow him down? Sure. Those are mitigating circumstances that give the kid a lot of upside, but they don't dispel the reality of his lack of production.

Break down your excuses one by one. So he didn't get red shirted, lets ignore his freshman season. Why did he do absolutely nothing as a sophomore, when he played in all 12 games, starting 5?

Then his junior year. How much credit do you give to a guy for injuring his hamstring early and missing only one game all season when he was again, just as ineffective as the previous year despite 7 starts? He sprained his knee closer to the start of the season for his senior year and was still highly productive then, so is this really something that lets you forgive an entire season of unproductive play?

These are the same challenges every college athlete faces. If we were to go through the history of every football player in the draft and excusing poor play due to injuries or mitigating circumstances you'd make the entire collegiate tracking of these kids look like Swiss cheese.

Dedhed
05-01-2012, 08:28 AM
...and for people who won't stop bringing up this was Brock's target. Manning is our QB. Probably for the next 3-5 years.That's not the point. He's likely going to have Osweiler throwing to him in camp the majority of the time. Given the familiarity, Robinson is going to get a lot of balls thrown his way, which will give him a better chance of making plays and ending up on the final roster.

Lestat
05-01-2012, 07:15 PM
he didn't have production, he has a lot of potential and a ton of developmental potential that can be molded into the proper structure.
we got a nice prospect who our coaching staff can hopefully turn into a NFL star. it'll be a long hard road but hopefully he is willing to put in the work, go above and beyond and then keep putting in the work to become better.

footstepsfrom#27
05-02-2012, 06:41 AM
Actually knew about every last one of them. Everyone has such issues, why would I talk about him changing positions from high school to college when he was recruited AS A WR out of high school? This isn't Ryan Tannehill battling for the QB job early in his college career, moving to WR, then moving back to QB. Robinson was a blue chipper at WR and no one every asked him to do anything but play WR from the day he signed his letter of intent.

You keep trying to move the line in your attempt to excuse a complete lack of productivity until last year. Do you actually follow collegiate recruiting? A large number of your best WR prospects were high school QBs running option offenses. Eddie Royal was a High School All-American as an option QB, then made the switch to WR even though he went to an option heavy collegiate program. Michael Crabtree was a high school WR. Rod Smith was a high school QB (hence being the emergency QB his entire time here). Hell, Marcus Allen was a QB in high school. Those are just the ones I personally recall off the top of my head because they were either Broncos or very high profile high school recruits.

Should he have been red shirted? Definitely. Did a hamstring injury likely slow him down? Sure. Those are mitigating circumstances that give the kid a lot of upside, but they don't dispel the reality of his lack of production.

Break down your excuses one by one. So he didn't get red shirted, lets ignore his freshman season. Why did he do absolutely nothing as a sophomore, when he played in all 12 games, starting 5?

Then his junior year. How much credit do you give to a guy for injuring his hamstring early and missing only one game all season when he was again, just as ineffective as the previous year despite 7 starts? He sprained his knee closer to the start of the season for his senior year and was still highly productive then, so is this really something that lets you forgive an entire season of unproductive play?

These are the same challenges every college athlete faces. If we were to go through the history of every football player in the draft and excusing poor play due to injuries or mitigating circumstances you'd make the entire collegiate tracking of these kids look like Swiss cheese.
What you don't seem to grasp, probably because it conflicts with your argument, is that players, like people, mature and bloom at different rates. Because you can spout the names of a few guys who played QB in high school and produced quickly at WR in college does not equate to your assertion that "tons" of players do this all the time. I played WR in high school and one year of college safety before tearing an ACL and going another route, so I know from first hand experience the difficulty of just the transition that moves takes, let alone one from the QB position which involves a radically different skill set. You keep making the same stupid argument that "excuses" are needed. News flash...the QB we drafted was a "one year wonder" also, the same guy Elway thinks has the potential to be a franchise QB, a fact you repeatedly and conveniently ignore throughout this thread. Despite is one year wonder status, he was drafted in the 2nd round, and players are found EVERY YEAR in UDFA who turn out to be good NFL player, many of whom were one year wonders. Other one year wonders on this very team include Terrell Davis, who didn't do much in college either, and in fact played NT in high school. A position switch is a legitimate reason to consider why a guy didnt' perform earlier than expected. BTW...Derrick Wolfe wasn't nearly as good before breaking out his Sr. season and in fact contemplated leaving school early due to financial reasons and was persuaded by his coach not to because he wans't ready, and may have been either a late round pick or gone undrafted entirely. So in other words, both of our second round picks were "one year wonders" ie...late bloomers. Your constant blather about how the kid needs "excuses" for not blooming earlier is nonsense. Nobody who even gets a sniff from the NFL, whether drafted or not has anything to appologize for, and any NFL scout or GM would tell you that the league is full of such players, and if you went down the list of guys who did get drafted this time around, you would undoubtedly find numerous examples.

I'm done arguing with you. I've proven my point repeatedly but your invested more in being right than in recognizing that we may have gotten a nice find in this guy, and no doubt by now that means you're probably rooting against him to make the team given what I can see about your online personna on these threads.