PDA

View Full Version : What I learned about the Broncos from the draft

Bacchus
04-29-2012, 03:19 PM
It seems to me Denver is much more concerned about rushing the passer than stopping the run. Wolfe is very much a pass rusher that will play DE on running downs and then move to DT on passing downs. I believe Denver's Malik Jackson who played a lot of DT in college, even though he weighs 285lbs will also be looked at DT on passing downs. So on passing downs Denver's starting DL will could look like this Ayers, Wolfe, Jackson, Dumerville. This strategy of moving DEs to DTs on passing downs is what the N.Y. Giants do and they have one of the best pass rushes in the NFL.

I believe Elway really likes Osweiler. People say they should have just gotten a project QB in the 4th. Well, Osweiler would not have been their in the 4th. I think Elway looks at him and said to himself that he loves his arm, smarts, enthusiasm, mobility and size. I think John Elway thinks he has all the physical tools he just needs time to develop and could be a great QB. If this is the case how can you argue them selecting him?

They feel comfortable with Willis McGhee at RB. Denver passed on RBs that could have challenged him. Instead they drafted a RB that will challenge Moreno for a roster spot. I thought Moreno could have found a role in this offense but now it may be hard for him to make the team.

What did Denver's draft tell you?

errand
04-29-2012, 03:21 PM
told me that alot of people on here think they know more than the FO does when it comes to running a team....but I guess it's only fair....afterall i'm sure Elway or Fox think they can work the drive-thru window as well as these clowns can.

...and we all know Xanders can deliver pizza better.

theAPAOps5
04-29-2012, 03:23 PM
Did you see the last game Denver played in? Of course they are concerned with passing the rusher.

Ziggy
04-29-2012, 03:23 PM
Malik Jackson is 285 and he spent most of his time at Tennessee playing DT.

Bacchus
04-29-2012, 03:24 PM

Yeah, that is a typo, I'll change it. I stated that he played DT at Tennessee and he will play that in Denver even though he only weighs 285. Denver will be going smaller at DT on passing downs to get more push in the middle.

Ziggy
04-29-2012, 03:30 PM
Jackson is a lot better pass rusher than folks realize. I can see him taking Ayers place at DT on nickel downs. Doom, Wolfe, Jackson, and Miller will wreak some havok on 3rd and longs.

Bacchus
04-29-2012, 03:32 PM
Jackson is a lot better pass rusher than folks realize. I can see him taking Ayers place at DT on nickel downs. Doom, Wolfe, Jackson, and Miller will wreak some havok on 3rd and longs.

Miller is a LBer who would be the other DT, Ayers?

Mat'hir Uth Gan
04-29-2012, 03:37 PM
While possible, I doubt Wolfe ever plays DE for us unless we're giving a 34 look. He's going to play 3 tech and slide to NT on passing downs.

Malik Jackson is ticketed for Power End if he makes the team and just provides some depth if Ayers gets dinged up. If Ayers is injured, Jackson could very well continue Ayers' role and slide inside to 3 tech for nickel looks while Wolfe goes to NT, and Miller moves to DE.

Overall, the draft told me EFX feels the team is ready to compete now and we mostly drafted to fill in depth in the event of injuries. I think Wolfe is the only starter we got.

Ziggy
04-29-2012, 03:39 PM
Miller is a LBer who would be the other DT, Ayers?

Miller plays DE on passing downs.

Duke!
04-29-2012, 03:40 PM
People say they should have just gotten a project QB in the 4th. Well, Osweiler would not have been their in the 4th.

I don't understand how critics can say the Osweiler pick was a reach?

Do they realize that Robert Griffin III, who has his share of faults, was acquired for 3 1sts and a 2nd?

Do they realize Ryan Tannehill, a project QB, was selected by the Miami Dolphins with the 8th overall pick?

Do they understand Brandon Weeden, a 28-year-old that is already close to his ceiling, went to the Browns at 22nd overall?

And a midget (Russell Wilson) and a Kyle Orton clone (Nick Foles) were taken in the 3rd round!

Considering what teams were paying for QBs in this draft, the Broncos got a good deal with Osweiler.

peacepipe
04-29-2012, 03:42 PM
While possible, I doubt Wolfe ever plays DE for us unless we're giving a 34 look. He's going to play 3 tech and slide to NT on passing downs.

Malik Jackson is ticketed for Power End if he makes the team and just provides some depth if Ayers gets dinged up. If Ayers is injured, Jackson could very well continue Ayers' role and slide inside to 3 tech for nickel looks while Wolfe goes to NT, and Miller moves to DE.

Overall, the draft told me EFX feels the team is ready to compete now and we mostly drafted to fill in depth in the event of injuries. I think Wolfe is the only starter we got.

I suspect it will be jackson at LDE wolfe at DT bannon DT & dumervile at RDE

Dexter
04-29-2012, 03:46 PM

What's your take on Philip Blake and Ronnie Hillman? I think both could end up starting sometime this next year. If Hillman can learn to pass protect, do you think he could be our #1, or do you think he's merely a change of pace rotational running back?

DenverBrit
04-29-2012, 03:48 PM

Yesterday....somewhere....at sometime, I read that the Broncos planned to use him as a DE and moving him inside on passing downs. Can't recall who wrote that.

errand
04-29-2012, 03:56 PM

Do they realize that Robert Griffin III, who has his share of faults, was acquired for 3 1sts and a 2nd?

Do they realize Ryan Tannehill, a project QB, was selected by the Miami Dolphins with the 8th overall pick?

Do they understand Brandon Weeden, a 28-year-old that is already close to his ceiling, went to the Browns at 22nd overall?

And a midget (Russell Wilson) and a Kyle Orton clone (Nick Foles) were taken in the 3rd round!

Considering what teams were paying for QBs in this draft, the Broncos got a good deal with Osweiler.

Welcome aboard...

since it's your first time on here let's catch you up to the mindset of alot of these guys...

Tebow is God, and don't you dare criticize him and alot of the criticisms aimed towards Osweiler (in my opinion) are by many of the same clowns that are still butthurt he's no longer on the Broncos....and because of that butthurt they'll all claim that :

Elway sucks as a VP, and does nothing but draft players his kid keg parties with....

Fox is an idiot who didn't realize what he had in our last starting QB, and runs an offense that makes his D look good...

We over paid for Manning after years of people bitching Bowlen wouldn't open his wallet...oh, and he's destined to end up a paraplegic playing behind our OL

Welcome to the mane where many posters are geniuses that can run or coach an NFL team better than EFX can, but can't seem to put hot fries in your drive thru bag.....

Mat'hir Uth Gan
04-29-2012, 03:58 PM
What's your take on Philip Blake and Ronnie Hillman? I think both could end up starting sometime this next year. If Hillman can learn to pass protect, do you think he could be our #1, or do you think he's merely a change of pace rotational running back?

Blake is an ideal interior swing lineman that allows us to cut Manny Ramirez. He can push Walton, but I suspect EFX hopes he just settles in as a top shelf reserve because Walton can't back up OG if he gets beat out and becomes somewhat worthless.

Hillman, being only 20, I think can grow into his body exactly like DeAngelo Williams did. I think he's our long term starter, but like DeAngelo, he's a part time player until he fills out. I suspect he can get up to the 210-215 range in a few years while working on his blocking, and can really be a dynamic threat. In the meantime, just change of pace.

broncosteven
04-29-2012, 04:02 PM

Nice take. Post more

broncosteven
04-29-2012, 04:05 PM

I am not sure 2 rookies will start on the DL week 1. I can see them getting significant rotation time but would be surprised if they both started.

Plus there is no guarantee that one won't be a bust or struggle to make the team.

If both end up starting we had the best draft ever!

Heyneck
04-29-2012, 04:10 PM
Love the draft... Don't like the Os pick only because he wont be producing the next years... unless (God please NO!!!) Manning gets hurt. Love the Wolfe pick!!! He will surprise a lot of us and others when he greatly adds that element to our DT rotation that has been missing the last years. Pressure up the middle!!! Can you imagine having the ability of flushing the QB to the edges of the pocket? VonDoom time!!!

DBroncos4life
04-29-2012, 04:19 PM
I think Warren will be better then people expect. Yeah people will say he hasn't played in two years but, I think that helped his legs. He should be refreshed with more burst. Just hoping I guess.

extralife
04-29-2012, 04:22 PM

I don't think we're even looking at the idea of a number 1 back at all. Who is the number one back in New Orleans or New England? Who was the number one back in Indy in Peyton's last two years? That's the kind of offense we're going for. We will roll backs in and out based on down, distance, score, and time on the clock.

Paladin
04-29-2012, 04:25 PM
Welcome aboard...

since it's your first time on here let's catch you up to the mindset of alot of these guys...

Tebow is God, and don't you dare criticize him and alot of the criticisms aimed towards Osweiler (in my opinion) are by many of the same clowns that are still butthurt he's no longer on the Broncos....and because of that butthurt they'll all claim that :

Elway sucks as a VP, and does nothing but draft players his kid keg parties with....

Fox is an idiot who didn't realize what he had in our last starting QB, and runs an offense that makes his D look good...

We over paid for Manning after years of people b****ing Bowlen wouldn't open his wallet...oh, and he's destined to end up a paraplegic playing behind our OL

Welcome to the mane where many posters are geniuses that can run or coach an NFL team better than EFX can, but can't seem to put hot fries in your drive thru bag.....

QFT
rep

Drek
04-29-2012, 05:24 PM

Man, people really love to hate on Ayers. Not like he was the most consistent DL on our team all last season or anything.

RaiderH8r
04-29-2012, 05:31 PM

We ride or die with Peyton. Is Osweiler so good our QBOTF project couldn't wait another season? I will say this though, if Peyton goes down Osweiler has 16 games to get Denver into the playoffs and win a playoff game or Errand will demand he get shipped, I know I will. Errand sets a high bar and I salute him for it.

elsid13
04-29-2012, 05:32 PM
Man, people really love to hate on Ayers. Not like he was the most consistent DL on our team all last season or anything.

Ayers is solid professional, nothing more or nothing less. But you can understand the desire for some to get a more production (sacks/pressures) out of 18th pick in the draft.

I don't think we need to activity upgrade the spot (RDE), but if right guys shows up in FA or the draft I wouldn't be afraid of adding some competition there.

RaiderH8r
04-29-2012, 05:32 PM
I think Warren will be better then people expect. Yeah people will say he hasn't played in two years but, I think that helped his legs. He should be refreshed with more burst. Just hoping I guess.

He better be; he's been resting up for two years.

It's not his skill I doubt it is his ability to stay on the field that I question.

Steve Prefontaine
04-29-2012, 05:35 PM
told me that alot of people on here think they know more than the FO does when it comes to running a team....but I guess it's only fair....afterall i'm sure Elway or Fox think they can work the drive-thru window as well as these clowns can.

Simple people don't question the front office.

But being part of the FO doesn't make you infallible.

Gutless Drunk
04-29-2012, 05:40 PM
We ride or die with Peyton. Is Osweiler so good our QBOTF project couldn't wait another season? I will say this though, if Peyton goes down Osweiler has 16 games to get Denver into the playoffs and win a playoff game or Errand will demand he get shipped, I know I will. Errand sets a high bar and I salute him for it.

Who? Would they be in the position to take him? What round? Would they like his skill set equally? What if this player got injured his senior season? What if this underclassmen did not come out? What if another team moved up and took this player a pick before us?
They liked the player and they were in the position to take him. You never know if you can replicate that scenario.

R8R H8R
04-29-2012, 06:38 PM
I learned that some of the same people that ***** & moan that we need to draft Bpa and not reach, that we need a DT early for the 1 st time ever, that we are screwed if Calib Hanie ever gets into a game, and that we need a home run change of pace back, were some of the very same ones that *****ed & moaned the loudest, when we moved back to get better value, picked a promising DT with the first pick, got an Elway- hand-picked promising young QB in the 2nd, and chose a very productive young home run hitter at RB.

That is what I learned.

ZONA
04-29-2012, 07:17 PM
It seems to me Denver is much more concerned about rushing the passer than stopping the run. Wolfe is very much a pass rusher that will play DE on running downs and then move to DT on passing downs. I believe Denver's Malik Jackson who played a lot of DT in college, even though he weighs 285lbs will also be looked at DT on passing downs. So on passing downs Denver's starting DL will could look like this Ayers, Wolfe, Jackson, Dumerville. This strategy of moving DEs to DTs on passing downs is what the N.Y. Giants do and they have one of the best pass rushes in the NFL.

I believe Elway really likes Osweiler. People say they should have just gotten a project QB in the 4th. Well, Osweiler would not have been their in the 4th. I think Elway looks at him and said to himself that he loves his arm, smarts, enthusiasm, mobility and size. I think John Elway thinks he has all the physical tools he just needs time to develop and could be a great QB. If this is the case how can you argue them selecting him?

They feel comfortable with Willis McGhee at RB. Denver passed on RBs that could have challenged him. Instead they drafted a RB that will challenge Moreno for a roster spot. I thought Moreno could have found a role in this offense but now it may be hard for him to make the team.

That was a good take. I like the positive attitude. Way too many dudes in here these days that prefer to bitch and moan over every little move this team makes.

Broncos4tw
04-29-2012, 07:26 PM
As far as stopping the run, it's not nearly as big a deal with a potent scoring offense. which Manning should give us barring any setbacks. So no surprise there.

gyldenlove
04-29-2012, 07:29 PM

Blake is better suited to playing against 3-4 fronts than Walton is, Walton really struggles when facing a 0 or 1-tech with power, Blake is much better suited for that. Blake is slower than Walton and won't block at the 2nd level nearly as much. Blake could also play guard, he has the right power and size to be a guard in a man-power scheme like we are running and may end up displacing Beadles instead of Walton.

Hillman is really interesting, I like his quickness, he gets up to speed to fast, he also has a really good eye for when to cut and cuts very quickly in little space. I am worried about his hands, he puts the ball on the ground a lot in all kinds of situations so he will need to work on that.
Hillman looks very much like a change of pace back right now, you put him in there when the defense is a bit winded or if they spread it out too much and he can take it down the sideline and gain some huge yards, although he does dance when running he is very decisive and always moving forward. His pass blocking is suspect which is an issue, but I wouldn't be 100% surprised if he turns out to be more than a change of pace back down the road.

lonestar
04-29-2012, 07:34 PM

...and we all know Xanders can deliver pizza better.

Great post..

as for the draft.

think they believe they have most of the pieces they need for the team..already on the team ..

I suspect one or more of the UDFA will stick if for not other reason than ST..

IF and the is a BIG IF the players perform like they have been talked up then we have a good to great draft..

NO ONE in their right mind thought that this team was ONE draft away form being a CONSISTENT winner..

Only the DREAM team thinks that we are going to win all the marbles this year..

Now we can have hopes and dreams but getting our asses kicked in the last Playoff game and ONLY winning over an older beat up partial team the week before should be telling everyone we were not one player away from winning all the marbles..

Manning will help but we are so thin on quality starters if anyone sneezes we coud fall apart fast..

We are losing our Offensive and Defensive leaders this coming year and yes Manning will upgrade the QB spot no doubt. I'm not totally sold that everyone will buy into his "perfection" thing.. They will be gone if they do not but gonna be hard to find players mid stream..

Which leads me to my last point..

We have lots of players that are going to be cut from more talented teams because they are now redundant after the draft and their money numbers are to high..Same thing applies to TC cuts..

There will be talent out there to be had.. Some will not clear the waiver wire which unfortunately we are way down the list to be able to claim them..

but there will be another wave of acquisitions..

FireFly
04-29-2012, 07:40 PM
Simple people don't question the front office.

But being part of the FO doesn't make you infallible.

QFT.

Many a front office has run a team into the ground. These professionals can set their franchises back years with bad calls in Free Agency, the draft, coaching, trades etc.

Just because you work in the front office or used to play QB for the team doesn't mean your decisions can't be or shouldn't be questioned. Many of the posters on this board come here to express their opinions, and those opinions don't always line up with those of the FO. That seems to be, in my opinion, a large part of why these boards are successful! And honestly, sometimes the decisions that the posters on this board would have made might very well be better than the ones the FO make!

As a fan and a free individual I reserve the right to question the decisions made by my government and to questions the decisions made by my favorite football team.

With all that being said, for the most part I like the draft we just had! I'm even coming around to the QB pick. I can see the logic, I probably wouldn't have gone in that direction but I can appreciate the logic.

RaiderH8r
04-29-2012, 08:01 PM
Who? Would they be in the position to take him? What round? Would they like his skill set equally? What if this player got injured his senior season? What if this underclassmen did not come out? What if another team moved up and took this player a pick before us?
They liked the player and they were in the position to take him. You never know if you can replicate that scenario.

Peyton goes down we're in the Matt Barkley sweepstakes. Furthermore, every year there are qb's just like Osweiler available. He is not a world beater and certainly not a once in a decade player. Hell, he's not even a once in a season player. We need impact if we're going to win. Osweiler is this year's version of Tommy Maddox.

footstepsfrom#27
04-29-2012, 08:09 PM
Jackson also said yesterday that he played at 267 lbs with the Vols. I wonder what the extra 20 pounds does to his speed and mobility?

kappys
04-29-2012, 08:41 PM
Peyton goes down we're in the Matt Barkley sweepstakes. Furthermore, every year there are qb's just like Osweiler available. He is not a world beater and certainly not a once in a decade player. Hell, he's not even a once in a season player. We need impact if we're going to win. Osweiler is this year's version of Tommy Maddox.

Not sure I agree with that. Os has unusual physical gifts - height, strength, rocket arm and good mobility. He is like a a LB who lacks college experience but turned heads with great numbers at the combine. Its impossible to know what you've got until he is on the field and we can see if he handles the speed and complexity of the NFL game

Tom_Foolery
04-29-2012, 08:42 PM
Jackson also said yesterday that he played at 267 lbs with the Vols. I wonder what the extra 20 pounds does to his speed and mobility?

Well, it slows him down, Steve.

Ziggy
04-29-2012, 09:00 PM

He weighed in at 285 at the combine and ran a 4.91 40. That's a decent time for that size.

Duke!
04-29-2012, 09:00 PM
We ride or die with Peyton. Is Osweiler so good our QBOTF project couldn't wait another season?

NFL-ready QBs like Andrew Luck aside, I think having the QBOTF sit and learn has good odds of working out. Aaron Rodgers, Philip Rivers and Steve McNair are some success stories that come to mind.

I think in today's instant gratification NFL, young QBs are thrown to the fire before they're ready because the fans and media come breathing down the front office neck as soon things turn south. The sit and wait method used to be a common approach in the old-school NFL.

And I don't think any organization should need to apologize for drafting a QB. It's a worthwhile risk bottom line. If you hit, it's the jackpot. Teams have parlayed promising backups (Atlanta with Matt Schaub) into high draft picks. Draft philosophy should have an eye towards the long-term health of an organization.

In this draft, outside of Colts' No. 1 pick Andrew Luck, one can argue the Broncos got the best deal on a QB prospect when you factor cost, upside and bang for buck.

Bacchus
04-29-2012, 09:11 PM
QFT.

Many a front office has run a team into the ground. These professionals can set their franchises back years with bad calls in Free Agency, the draft, coaching, trades etc.

Just because you work in the front office or used to play QB for the team doesn't mean your decisions can't be or shouldn't be questioned. Many of the posters on this board come here to express their opinions, and those opinions don't always line up with those of the FO. That seems to be, in my opinion, a large part of why these boards are successful! And honestly, sometimes the decisions that the posters on this board would have made might very well be better than the ones the FO make!

As a fan and a free individual I reserve the right to question the decisions made by my government and to questions the decisions made by my favorite football team.

With all that being said, for the most part I like the draft we just had! I'm even coming around to the QB pick. I can see the logic, I probably wouldn't have gone in that direction but I can appreciate the logic.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/image.php?u=6173&dateline=1300142768

what did you say, I couldn't read a word of it.

Bacchus
04-29-2012, 09:12 PM

duh, if Peyton goes down than it does not matter who Denver drafted this year. I would however rather give Asweiler the start over Caleb Haney.

baja
04-29-2012, 09:25 PM

I usually agree with you but you are all wet on this one.

uplink
04-29-2012, 09:33 PM

It hard to tell how EFX feel about things exactly via the draft picks taken, its just how the draft played out.
For instance, it was reported by one of the Denver Post reporters that Elway wanted the Boise RB with the 1st pick and didn't expect the Giants to take him. Elway regretted the move out of the 1st in retrospect. So if they had taken the RB the analysis would have been, EFX was not happy with McGhee maybe.

Tom_Foolery
04-29-2012, 09:46 PM
I wanted more fatbodies on the ol.

R8R H8R
04-29-2012, 10:43 PM
It hard to tell how EFX feel about things exactly via the draft picks taken, its just how the draft played out.
For instance, it was reported by one of the Denver Post reporters that Elway wanted the Boise RB with the 1st pick and didn't expect the Giants to take him. Elway regretted the move out of the 1st in retrospect. So if they had taken the RB the analysis would have been, EFX was not happy with McGhee maybe.

If true, it is interesting and would explain why EFX was aggresive and traded up
to nab Hillman. It also might suggest that maybe they think Hillman can eventually be more than just a change of pace back if he bulks up a bit.

Bacchus
04-30-2012, 01:50 AM

We have no idea who Elway wanted, What the Denver Post has never been wrong before? All we know is who they drafted. What can we deceipher from that?

Drek
04-30-2012, 03:06 AM
Ayers is solid professional, nothing more or nothing less. But you can understand the desire for some to get a more production (sacks/pressures) out of 18th pick in the draft.

I don't think we need to activity upgrade the spot (RDE), but if right guys shows up in FA or the draft I wouldn't be afraid of adding some competition there.
He just finished his third year in the league, his first at DE. Seems a little early to be writing him off a "solid...nothing more nothing less".

As of now our strong side end's job is to keep blockers off Miller more than anything else. The fact that Ayers can do that and still get some push is a pretty damn valuable skill set.

The best role for Jackson depends on what weight the FO wants him to play at. He was at 284 for the combine and supposedly weighed in at 290 for his pro day. If he can legitimately maintain that weight or even add a little more then he's a DT, simple as that.

If instead he can't maintain that weight or if the team wants him to trim down to the 270's or so then he would work well as a universal replacement for Doom and Ayers. That should let him gobble up the snaps previously seen by Jason Hunter and Derrick Harvey this past season, as well as potentially getting Doom off the field more often on obvious rushing downs.

If 284-290 is the max but he can maintain it then its a little bit of A, and a little bit of B. He can play end on running downs and DT on passing downs.

Broncoman13
04-30-2012, 04:04 AM
Blake is an ideal interior swing lineman that allows us to cut Manny Ramirez. He can push Walton, but I suspect EFX hopes he just settles in as a top shelf reserve because Walton can't back up OG if he gets beat out and becomes somewhat worthless.

Hillman, being only 20, I think can grow into his body exactly like DeAngelo Williams did. I think he's our long term starter, but like DeAngelo, he's a part time player until he fills out. I suspect he can get up to the 210-215 range in a few years while working on his blocking, and can really be a dynamic threat. In the meantime, just change of pace.

I don't know that Hilman will ever play at over 200. He said during his intro conf. that 200 is a mark that he hasn't played at. Still, at a compact 190, he is a little more bulked up then Moreno, who played at the same weight but a couple inches taller. Best case for Hilman is 10-12 touches per game as a 1b type and production in the passing game. He is a different player, but his use will be similar to that of Sproles, McCluster, and Bush. Get a few carries, catch a few passes and maybe get some returns.

TonyR
04-30-2012, 06:06 AM
IAOFM posted on this same topic yesterday. Here are the bullets, click the link for the details...

1. The Broncos are a one-gap defense

2. The Broncos do have a "Plan B"; it will begin in 24 to 36 months from now

3. Knowshon Moreno's time as a Bronco is nearing its end

4. J.D. Walton and Zane Beadles must improve--immediately

5. The Broncos believe in their wide receivers more than the pundits do

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/five-things-we-learned-from-the-broncos-2012-draft

TonyR
04-30-2012, 06:10 AM
...his use will be similar to that of Sproles, McCluster, and Bush. Get a few carries, catch a few passes and maybe get some returns.

Since we'll be running a lot of no huddle, IAOFM points out in the link I posted above that we may be seeing a lot more of Hillman than most are thinking...