7. Demario Pippen, RB, Jackson State
8. Coryell Judie, CB, Texas A&M
9. Anthony Miller, TE, Cal
10. Gerell Robinson, WR, ASU
11. Jerry Franklin, LB, Arkansas
12. Wayne Tribue, OG, Temple

OBF1
04-28-2012, 02:31 PM
Trevathan is a fluid athlete who is undersized but crafty and uses his athletic ability to stay active. In the right NFL system that can keep offensive linemen off him, likely a 4-3 scheme, Trevathan can hit a lane hard and make plays in the backfield. He struggles to get free once blockers engage him, which will be a persistent problem. Due to his athletic ability and enormous production, he has fourth-round value and could be selected even earlier by a team looking to take a risk on an undersized guy capable of contributing immediately on special teams.

BroncoInferno
04-28-2012, 02:31 PM
Would have liked to add a WR, but we hit most of the positions of need. Now we can only hope most of them pan out.

socalorado
04-28-2012, 02:33 PM
Trevathan is a fluid athlete who is undersized but crafty and uses his athletic ability to stay active. In the right NFL system that can keep offensive linemen off him, likely a 4-3 scheme, Trevathan can hit a lane hard and make plays in the backfield. He struggles to get free once blockers engage him, which will be a persistent problem. Due to his athletic ability and enormous production, he has fourth-round value and could be selected even earlier by a team looking to take a risk on an undersized guy capable of contributing immediately on special teams.

WOODYARD V 2.0

OBF1
04-28-2012, 02:33 PM
Would have liked to add a WR, but we hit most of the positions of need. Now we can only hope 1, maybe 2 of them pan out.

Fixed it for you :~ohyah!:

doonwise
04-28-2012, 02:35 PM
Trevathan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzKEpfwy5o0

Not sure about his talent, but like his attitude.

Rohirrim
04-28-2012, 02:45 PM
I would have preferred Reuben Randle over Brock, but the rest of this draft makes me happy. These are all solid players at positions of need. I'm especially relieved at the Dline additions. Hopefully we can grab a fast KR in UDFA (Buddy Jackson) and maybe even a couple of safeties.

Mat'hir Uth Gan
04-28-2012, 02:45 PM
I give the draft a rock solid B. If both Osweiler and Hillman develop, it's an A+.

Old Dude
04-28-2012, 02:46 PM
Three or four years from now, I'll have an opinion about this class.

KO5K
04-28-2012, 02:49 PM
Hilarious!

Screwed up the key picks.

Rounds 1-3 you're picking good quality players who can come in and start.

Everything else after that is crap shoot.

They mucked up in the key rounds and no matter how good people think the picks after were (which they were), chances are they won't amount to anything in the NFL.

Br0nc0Buster
04-28-2012, 02:49 PM
Solid is how I would describe this class

B-/C+

Could move up to an A if Osweiler is a franchise qb and Boldin can stay healthy

barryr
04-28-2012, 02:51 PM
I'm ok with the draft, but was hoping(expecting) better, especially with the trades made.

SoDak Bronco
04-28-2012, 02:53 PM
Looks better then McD's picks

Denver Brockos
04-28-2012, 02:56 PM
A+ draft for the Brockos.

cutthemdown
04-28-2012, 02:58 PM
Grading the draft this early is silly. People on the mane already call Moore from last yr a bust. They don't realize sometimes it takes a couple yrs to play dback.

You have to give players a chance to get better before they are busts. if they don't start by the 3rd yr then yeah probably a bust.

If Broncos can get a first yr starter again, or 2 like last yr, that would be huge.

Most likely though Wolfe plays in the rotation but maybe not a ton of downs like Miller did last yr. Hillman hopefully can be the 3rd down RB and after that its a big unknown.

But when i look at past drafts around the whole NFL I see a ton of names that were supposed to be starters that just never made it. The teams are really trying to do whatever they can to figure out what ones will be special but I think in many ways they are kidding themselves also. You sort of know the super special ones because they stick out so much. Really though you are lucky if there are even 10 of those guys a draft.

OBF1
04-28-2012, 03:07 PM

Stop making sense here... This is the Orangemane after all.^5

razorwire77
04-28-2012, 03:17 PM
My initial reactions with the draft is positive. There were some questions of positional draft value and where they were taken, but you never know how individual players will turn out. I think Denver picked multiple players that should contribute quickly. It wasn't flashy, I didn't like it as much as Cincinnati's or Pittsburgh's draft, but I think the team hit some solid singles and doubles.

I'm really looking forward to having a speed RB that will catch an edge and make people miss. The first time Ronnie Hillman breaks a long run in camp, Bronco fans are going to fall in love with him.

NUB
04-28-2012, 03:21 PM
An average draft for a regular team.

A bad draft for a team that just signed Peyton Manning.

errand
04-28-2012, 03:21 PM
36. Derek Wolfe, DT, Cincinnati
57. Brock Osweiler, QB, ASU
67. Ronnie Hillman, RB, SDSU
101. Omar Bolden, CB, ASU
108. Philip Blake, C, Baylor
137. Malik Jackson, DE, Tennessee
188. Danny Trevathan, LB, UK

Positions drafted: DT, QB, RB, CB, C, DE, LB

Well, let's see...

People b****ed we needed a DT...check

People b****ed we needed a QBOTF...check

People b****ed we needed depth at RB....check

People bitched we needed to find secondary depth...check

People b****ed we needed to bring in competition for Walton.....check

People said we need to fill depth holes at DE and LB...check

Now the question is can they make it? We'll see...need to see these guys on the field before passing judgement in my opinion.

boppool
04-28-2012, 03:22 PM

I'd give us a solid B. We filled most of our needs with guys that can contribute right away, Wolfe in DT rotation, Hillman as a third-down back, Blake as a backup to both C and G, while Bolden can help in passing situations.
If Malik Jackson can translate his great work-ethic into NFL, he'll be a steal in this draft.

The key player here, though, is Osweiler. If he can develop in a couple of years into Rothlisberger-type QB, this will be considered as a fantastic draft.

socalorado
04-28-2012, 03:22 PM
Well, let's see...

People b****ed we needed a DT...check

People b****ed we needed a QBOTF...check

People b****ed we needed depth at RB....check

People b****ed we needed to find secondary depth...check

People b****ed we needed to bring in competition for Walton.....check

People said we need to fill depth holes at DE and LB...check

Now the question is can they make it? We'll see...need to see these guys on the field before passing judgement in my opinion.

Quit your Bitching!!:yayaya:

Rohirrim
04-28-2012, 03:25 PM
An average draft for a regular team.

A bad draft for a team that just signed Peyton Manning.

How would you have improved on it, given the way this draft unfolded? Taken a WR at #25?

Lestat
04-28-2012, 03:31 PM
i like the draft, it's not a high grade draft right now but 3-4 years from now when it all comes out in the wash we're likely to see a B+ to A- grade if the players develop properly.

on paper you have 2 immediate starters,3 future starters, a special teams ace and very nice potential DE/DT who i think will end up as a starter but the jury is still out.

Kaylore
04-28-2012, 03:32 PM

You can tell Fox coaches this team.

Lestat
04-28-2012, 03:35 PM
one thing that is interesting, it seems as if Elway is becoming more media savvy and we're hearing more players saying they didn't know the Broncos were interested in them.
he's learning how to play the game and misdirect people. except on Osweiler, that was the worst kept secret on the planet.

KevinJames
04-28-2012, 03:40 PM
Nice

Right now it looks like a B- but if Osweiler is the QBOTF when Manning retires A+

Rohirrim
04-28-2012, 03:40 PM
You can tell Fox coaches this team.

So, do you think Fox made all the picks, except that one obvious exception? ;D

Kaylore
04-28-2012, 03:42 PM
So, do you think Fox made all the picks, except that one obvious exception? ;D

:) Fox isn't a dictator. He's well known to listen to everyone. I think like with most drafts that this one is heavily influenced by its head coach. I'm just thrilled we took some players for the front seven finally.

NUB
04-28-2012, 03:43 PM
How would you have improved on it, given the way this draft unfolded? Taken a WR at #25?

The Patriots approach to the first round, moving up to nab DE/DT and a LB is pretty much it.

I would have drafted players with the intention of them contributing immediately. Drafting Brock was a total waste with Manning on this team, IMO, of course. And I also think he's just not that great of a QB regardless so that doesn't help either. Basically, Denver was not very aggressive for a team that has sold the farm on a 36-year old vet with a bad neck.

Team could at least try not to get fleeced every so often on the trades, too. That'd be nice.

That One Guy
04-28-2012, 03:54 PM
I like the way they approached the draft and I like the idea of the Osweiler pick.

I think the thing it's missing is that guy that we look at and can go homer on. I'm not seeing Wolfe as the next Warren Sapp. OK, Hillman could be the next Sproles and that's awesome but he's not the next Marshall Faulk. Osweiler is the only one we can remotely hope becomes a star but that's down the road.

I just feel low ceiling vibes from everyone. I can't complain too much as it addresses the needs but the draft and preseason are the times when you should be full of hope. Maybe it's just reflective of the overall suckiness of this class.

Rohirrim
04-28-2012, 04:03 PM
The Patriots approach to the first round, moving up to nab DE/DT and a LB is pretty much it.

I would have drafted players with the intention of them contributing immediately. Drafting Brock was a total waste with Manning on this team, IMO, of course. And I also think he's just not that great of a QB regardless so that doesn't help either. Basically, Denver was not very aggressive for a team that has sold the farm on a 36-year old vet with a bad neck.

Team could at least try not to get fleeced every so often on the trades, too. That'd be nice.

From the picks they made, it appears they believe the offense is good enough, other than backing up the center position and adding to the RB corps, and what needed major work was the defense. I guess the Brock pick is just insurance? I can't believe they think of him as the long term solution. It doesn't look to me like Elway thinks the team is in as bad a shape as many outside Dove Valley think it is. If I'm Peyton Manning, I'm watching this with a little concern.

I'm always happy when we bring in defense, that's just my bias. But I'm also having funny feelings about this. Elway said he was going after immediate impact players. I was kind of surprised we didn't trade up in the first round too, and the way they moved down was suspicious. It didn't look very well thought out at the time.

I'm going along with it, but truthfully, I'm not understanding the big picture here. I suppose I'm giving the trust factor to Elway. I hope they know more than I do.

Drek
04-28-2012, 04:19 PM
We effectively left someone like Lavonte David, Rueben Randle, or Casey Hayward on the table. If we hadn't done that I'd be very impressed overall. As it is I see a team that looks to have a good eye towards the kind of players they want but is not particularly good at feeling out the league wide draft values and as a result overpicks to secure "their guys".

Lot of room for improvement in draft technique but we got some guys who could do really well for us. Overall I'm pretty happy with it.

That One Guy
04-28-2012, 04:22 PM
We effectively left someone like Lavonte David, Rueben Randle, or Casey Hayward on the table. If we hadn't done that I'd be very impressed overall. As it is I see a team that looks to have a good eye towards the kind of players they want but is not particularly good at feeling out the league wide draft values and as a result overpicks to secure "their guys".

Lot of room for improvement in draft technique but we got some guys who could do really well for us. Overall I'm pretty happy with it.

Well, at least if they had an exclusive list of "their guys" and stuck to it, you should be able to have faith that they know the kind of person and player they're getting. It may not have the flash of others but hopefully there won't be as many disappointments down the road.

Drek
04-28-2012, 04:27 PM
Well, at least if they had an exclusive list of "their guys" and stuck to it, you should be able to have faith that they know the kind of person and player they're getting. It may not have the flash of others but hopefully there won't be as many disappointments down the road.

But picking from a list of "their guys" is what Mike Shanahan did in his worst draft years, and is what got McDaniels ridiculed for his 2009 draft.

Its basically the FO saying they're the smartest guys in the league and that their guys are so damn awesome they don't even need to get fair value relative to the league. It either stems from ignorance or hubris, neither of which is a good character trait.

rmsanger
04-28-2012, 04:28 PM
In 3 years will be lucky to have 1 marginal starter in 5 years the entire lot will be out of the NFL or on other team.

gunns
04-28-2012, 04:34 PM
I am absolutely thrilled with the defensive positions and that needs were addressed. I knew we'd take a QB, we all did, but was a little shocked when it happened. The only position I really wanted another guy was RB, but hopefully he'll be able to fill in when McGahee is out. I can't bitch about this draft as there is no way to know how they will fill in and play.

Mogulseeker
04-28-2012, 04:35 PM
Looks better then McD's picks

Hopefully.

I trust the FO... McD got consensus picks in the rounds that he selected. Not as many reaches in terms of value - and we all know how that turned out.

McD is an example of a person following public opinion... Elway, really more system oriented.

Looking at the other teams' draft - the Pats really had a lot of reaches in terms of player value. They always do, and they've been pretty successful.

Drek
04-28-2012, 04:41 PM
Hopefully.

I trust the FO... McD got consensus picks in the rounds that he selected. Not as many reaches in terms of value - and we all know how that turned out.

It got our current starters at:
WR#1
WR#2
LG
C
LDE

In two years. He also got a starting QB for us and a starting RB who lost his job last year to injury.

7 starters in two drafts is pretty solid, especially when every one of his first rounders have been starters for us at some point.

The guy was a dog **** manager of human beings but he didn't suck at the draft.

Lestat
04-28-2012, 04:48 PM
no he sucked balls in the draft. he hit on some guys but the overall scope was terrible and some of the starters we have people keep bitching about needing to be replaced.
WR#1
WR#2
LG
C
LDE

In two years. He also got a starting QB for us and a starting RB who lost his job last year to injury.

7 starters in two drafts is pretty solid, especially when every one of his first rounders have been starters for us at some point.

DBroncos4life
04-28-2012, 04:51 PM
WR#1
WR#2
LG
C
LDE

Awesome 5 starters and it only took 8 picks in the first two rounds in two years to get them!

BroncoInferno
04-28-2012, 04:52 PM
WR#1
WR#2
LG
C
LDE

Well, 2010 looks pretty solid, but 2009 was pretty much an abortion. All three of his 2nd rounders are off the team, Moreno has been better than some give him credit for but still a disappointment for where he was drafted, and Ayers is a decent starter, but not what you would hope from the 18th overall pick.

Tombstone RJ
04-28-2012, 05:00 PM
If Wolfe becomes a monster and Jackson becomes a solid rotational guy then I'll up my draft grade. As it sits right now the Osweiler pick just leaves me scratching my head. IF he pans out I will give this draft an A. As for Hillman, if he is another Darren Sproles, I'll be ecstatic. He's got good speed but does he have the tuffness to run up the middle on occassion? I'd love for him to become an every down RB, he's not tiny like Sproles. I do like the smaller compact RBs as they tend to take less abuse.

orinjkrush
04-28-2012, 05:01 PM
36. Derek Wolfe, DT, Cincinnati..........Reach
57. Brock Osweiler, QB, ASU..............Bench
67. Ronnie Hillman, RB, SDSU ............3rd down
101. Omar Bolden, CB, ASU................situational
108. Philip Blake, C, Baylor.................Bench
137. Malik Jackson, DE, Tennessee......Bench
188. Danny Trevathan, LB, UK.............Bench

just don't see the BPA or the impact that was being crowed about.

but, proof is in the pudding. go broncos.

BroncoInferno
04-28-2012, 05:02 PM
But picking from a list of "their guys" is what Mike Shanahan did in his worst draft years, and is what got McDaniels ridiculed for his 2009 draft.

Its basically the FO saying they're the smartest guys in the league and that their guys are so damn awesome they don't even need to get fair value relative to the league. It either stems from ignorance or hubris, neither of which is a good character trait.

I think we are only assuming at "overdrafting" based off of the projections from the draftniks. That's all we have access to since, obviously, other teams aren't going to release their boards. We know the amateurs got some projections wrong based on guys who fell. Guys like Lamar Miller and Bobby Massie were consensus late 1st-early 2nd round picks and were still sitting around in the 4th. When we pick a guy like Wolfe or Hillman, we have no idea what the league wide consensus was, only what the draftniks thought. It's entirely possible that other teams held those guys in similar regard, and they would have been gone later on. I'm almost positive that's the case with Wolfe, who I've contended for weeks was being highly undervalued by most of the draftniks. You can argue that even if that's the case and Wolfe comes off the board between #36 and your next pick, take Worthy or Still or someone else later, but maybe they didn't like those guys as much or think they fit in as well. When you get out of the 1st round, even if two or more players have a similar arbitrary grade, the odds say at least one of those guys won't pan out. It's up to your scouting department to do their homework and determine which guy from a cluster of similarly graded players is most likely to pan out and fit in your system. I don't think that's "hubris," it's trusting your evaluations. Otherwise, you might as well just buy Mel Kiper's or Mike Mayock's draft guide and scour the internet and select based on those projections and save money on scouts. So, I'm not sure it's clear we have been "overdrafting." Obviously, if Wolfe doesn't pan out and Worthy becomes a Pro Bowler (for one example), you have to call the talent evaluators into question. But this is only year two of this regime, so I think we need a little more time to see what kind of accuracy their evaluations have.

Agamemnon
04-28-2012, 05:04 PM

I would guess he, like anyone with a brain, would probably not have drafted a QB in the 2nd round.

pricejj
04-28-2012, 05:10 PM
We got a dominating, pass-rushing UT, and a powerful starting Center with the 25th pick. Not bad. :sunshine:

TonyR
04-28-2012, 05:42 PM

I get your point, but I'd argue that in today's NFL you know sooner than that (other than perhaps a "developmental QB"). For example, if Raheem Moore and Nate Irving aren't contributors this season you can probably start dangling the "bust" label over both of them. You expect high round draft picks to come in and play.

Agamemnon
04-28-2012, 05:44 PM
We got a dominating, pass-rushing UT, and a powerful starting Center with the 25th pick. Not bad. :sunshine:

I'm not even sure that center is going to be better than Walton. I wouldn't get too excited yet...

pricejj
04-28-2012, 05:53 PM
I'm not even sure that center is going to be better than Walton. I wouldn't get too excited yet...

Walton is the worst Center in the NFL. Blake is older, a better player, and more versatile...it's only a matter of time.

Wolfe is the most dominating UT in this class, he is the REAL DEAL, and I am so happy to have him. I am so glad we didn't reach on any lesser players at DT. That's what you call "manipulating the draft" to your benefit. It was freaking genius.

GO BRONCOS :sunshine:

That One Guy
04-28-2012, 06:42 PM
Walton is the worst Center in the NFL. Blake is older, a better player, and more versatile...it's only a matter of time.

Wolfe is the most dominating UT in this class, he is the REAL DEAL, and I am so happy to have him. I am so glad we didn't reach on any lesser players at DT. That's what you call "manipulating the draft" to your benefit. It was freaking genius.

GO BRONCOS :sunshine:

For all your sunshine, I had to see if you were touting these guys beforehand and I have to say I'm surprised you were on Wolfe's bandwagon all along. I did find this, however, and you kind owe us something:

I will go streaking down I-25 if the Broncos draft Derek Wolfe or Brandon Thompson.

Blur the pics, however.

Bacchus
04-28-2012, 07:01 PM
Trevathan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzKEpfwy5o0

Not sure about his talent, but like his attitude.

Wholly cow, he looks like he is 5'2" 150 lbs.

gyldenlove
04-28-2012, 07:25 PM
I like the players we got, I think Wolfe and Bolden were good picks for need. Malik Jackson has a lot of upside but will need a lot of coaching and patience, not sure if he will get it.
Hillman is a guy we needed, change of pace guy who can stretch defenses and punish people for lining up with too many DBs.

Osweiler becomes our QBOTF, but those guys rarely pan out so I am not counting my chickens. Blake is a good guy to have, if he can't supplant Walton, he can back up all 3 interior spots.

I am pretty iffy on the value we got, trading both down and up the way we did, didn't get us the kind of extra picks it should have done, but I do like that we didn't mortgage the future. I think Wolfe was overdrafted and I don't think we needed to move up for Hillman.

underrated29
04-28-2012, 08:10 PM

I couldn't disagree with this more. Conjecture pure conjecture. If you are painting your house and you take a poll of all the neighbors for the type of paint and color they like, you are still going to take the paid.t and color you think is best for your own home.

It doesn't mean jack**** that you think you are better than anyone else or anything else. It means you know what you are looking for and you know what you want and you know what will fit your house best.

Same could be said for women....everyone can say Cait Upton is the hottest thing alive but maybe you like dark hair girls and therefore would rather take that Rachel girl from transformers no matter if the entire world says Upton is the best and ****s gold and her nipples are diamonds. Doesn't mean you are arrogant.

That One Guy
04-28-2012, 10:02 PM
I couldn't disagree with this more. Conjecture pure conjecture. If you are painting your house and you take a poll of all the neighbors for the type of paint and color they like, you are still going to take the paid.t and color you think is best for your own home.

It doesn't mean jack**** that you think you are better than anyone else or anything else. It means you know what you are looking for and you know what you want and you know what will fit your house best.

Same could be said for women....everyone can say Cait Upton is the hottest thing alive but maybe you like dark hair girls and therefore would rather take that Rachel girl from transformers no matter if the entire world says Upton is the best and ****s gold and her nipples are diamonds. Doesn't mean you are arrogant.

Comparison is a stretch, in my opinion. In the examples you used, you're dealing with a simple product. 100 times out of 100, if you paint a wall a certain color, it'll turn that color. What we're dealing with here isn't a perfect science. The guys at the top of the draft are there for a reason. You might like a 7th rounders work ethic better than someone at the top but as a whole, you can't bet that he will be a better player. To simply think you can find better players lower in the draft than everyone else finds higher AND to throw away the value of that asset through bad trades is absolutely arrogance or ignorance. I'm not sure that's what happened here but if that's someone's interpretation of the situation, it could very well be a valid one.

StugotsIII
04-28-2012, 10:31 PM
It's retarded to judge any draft class before they have played a down of football.

This board and every other fan board is full of draft experts…ready to pass judgement on players that they truly have no idea about.

That One Guy
04-28-2012, 10:34 PM
It's retarded to judge any draft class before they have played a down of football.

This board and every other fan board is full of draft experts…ready to pass judgement on players that they truly have no idea about.

I've seen very few criticizing the players and condemning them to failure. I think this is about as timid a response as we've seen in quite some time. Maybe it's the fact that they hit on just about all the positions of need, I don't know, but people seem pretty receptive to the prospects. I think it's unreasonable to try to say they shouldn't hold any opinion at all, though, as some really do put time and effort into watching and reading about this players.

Mogulseeker
04-28-2012, 11:32 PM

UDFA Class:
1. Steven Johnson, LB, Kansas
2. Austin Wuebbels, OG, Missouri
3. Duke Ihenacho, S, San Jose State
4. Jamie Blatnick, DE, Oklahoma State
5. Elliot Coffey, LB, Baylor
6. Mike Remmers, OT, Oregon State
7. Demario Pippen, RB, Jackson State
8. Coryell Judie, CB, Texas A&M
9. Anthony Miller, TE, Cal
10. Gerell Robinson, WR, ASU
11. Jerry Franklin, LB, Arkansas
12. Wayne Tribue, OG, Temple

I like these picks and I think they stand a shot at making the team.

We're loaded at CB, now, though. How many do we keep?

Champ Bailey
Tracy Porter
Chris Harris
Cassius Vaughn
Omar Bolden
Syd'quan Thompson
Coryell Judie

Who gets cut?

I think we're a little more shallow at safety

Moore
Carter
Bruton
Adams
Ihenacho

But I think that Omar Bolden looks like he can be a very solid FS.

pricejj
04-29-2012, 12:22 AM
Blur the pics, however.

Holy crap!! Hilarious!

That's funny...when I heard the pick over the radio, I started yelling at the top of my lungs and called my brother, and we were like "YEAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!"

Seriously though, we are so lucky to have drafted Wolfe. I know New England was considering drafting him at #31....and Baltimore would have drafted him at #35 if Upshaw wouldn't have dropped. We got the better player. It's like seeing a new bicyle in the store 2 years ago and actually getting it for Christmas.

I do literally feel like streaking down I-25.

sgbfan
04-29-2012, 02:48 AM
After watching some highlights, here are my very amateur, quick impressions after watching some highlights.

Wolfe- The guy is an animal, hits hard, gets into the backfield and doesn't give up. He plays mean. I'm excited to watch him

Osweiller- Hate the idea of picking a QBOTF this year, especially this early. That said, I hope he turns out. The guy gets the ball to the receiver by the time it leaves Tebow's hand. He seems pretty tough and athletic too.

Hillman- Sproles is a great comparison, tiny fast legs. The guy can move. He will be fun to watch.

Bolden- He seems like he can tackle OK, but misses in the open(what cb besides champ does though). Decent at coverage, but why didn't we draft Jones from Cal instead of him (jk, he did kinda get owned though). We have 2 PAC 10 CB's that didn't play last year, hope they both are healthy.

Blake- Couldn't find much highlights, but I love the size, and hey, won't be hard for him to make the roster.

Jackson- Pretty good DE project, don't think he looked that great from the inside though, not nearly as strong as Ayers, but he is athletic. I think he'll be a better option as DE from the little I saw.

Trevathon- I like the way he tackles, good technique. Disappeared in traffic, didn't take on blocks very well.

I can't speak too much of how good the players will be but I love what the FO did as far as positions (with the exception of QB). The positions I didn't want to use picks on were TE (2 rookies from last year, 2 FA), WR (Manning will make any WR look better and we already have some good ones), S (2 rookies last year, 1 FA), QB (felt we could wait 1-2 years for QBOTF).

The only other position I would have liked them to pick was MLB. I'm OK that they didn't though, because I want them to give Irving a chance (even if it means giving Mays 4 million so we aren't completely screwed if he sucks).

I actually like where they picked the players. DT was the biggest concern, need an impact player on the inside. RB I feel there is always value in rounds 3 and 4. CB I would have liked to see an earlier pick, but expect to in the next 1-2 years. OL you can find great value in the final day. DE and OLB we really needed depth more than impact players, so 5th and 6th round is great.

I expect to see MLB early next year (unless Irving is a beast) as well as CB. If we need a WR and RB, wait until the 3rd round. Need to see this year play out to know for sure though.

Beantown Bronco
04-29-2012, 04:51 AM
i like the draft, it's not a high grade draft right now but 3-4 years from now when it all comes out in the wash we're likely to see a B+ to A- grade if the players develop properly.

This goes for every team in the league who made at least one pick in this draft.

Beantown Bronco
04-29-2012, 04:55 AM

Champ Bailey
Tracy Porter
Chris Harris
Cassius Vaughn
Omar Bolden
Syd'quan Thompson
Coryell Judie

None. Judie will get the Mike Shanahan "IR due to hangnail" so they don't have to count him on the active roster.

Pick Six
04-29-2012, 04:56 AM
After watching some highlights, here are my very amateur, quick impressions after watching some highlights.

Osweiller- Hate the idea of picking a QBOTF this year, especially this early. That said, I hope he turns out. The guy gets the ball to the receiver by the time it leaves Tebow's hand. He seems pretty tough and athletic too.

Umm...Umm...Just...Umm...:sunshine:

Durango
04-29-2012, 05:17 AM
Pretty much what everyone else is saying, that is, time will tell, but on potential, this bunch could be a great draft, especially with some of those college free agents. Wow. A-, and only an A- because Omar Bolden has an injury history.

ayjackson
04-29-2012, 07:15 AM
Stop making sense here... This is the Orangemane after all.^5

Yeah, there's no room for this here. I don't come here to see balanced analysis. I want to see people losing their sh1t.

Drek
04-29-2012, 07:35 AM

Champ Bailey
Tracy Porter
Chris Harris
Cassius Vaughn
Omar Bolden
Syd'quan Thompson
Coryell Judie

Who gets cut?

Moore
Carter
Bruton
Adams
Ihenacho

Give our guys an honest assessment and you don't see nearly the roster squeeze, if you ask me.

Look at CB:

Champ Bailey - the boss, he's our #1 CB for sure.

Tracy Porter - one year stop gap. I'm betting he gets stupid money from someone else next year.

Chris Harris - steady nickel/FS type. Might develop into a good #2 in a year or two.

Cassius Vaughn - fast but not much in the way of coverage skills or ball awareness to back it up.

Omar Bolden - starter level talent, coming back from an ACL so he's got health flags.

Syd'quan Thompson - small and slow but technically solid and good awareness.

Coryell Judie - good athlete with good size, ok technically, health concerns.

So at CB you can pretty easily say that if Bolden or Judie are 100% healthy they're probably taking work away from Vaughn and Thompson, who are each half of a complete player.

I'd bet our CBs will be Champ and Porter starting, Harris as the nickel, Bolden and Judie as depth. Maybe Judie is put on the practice squad to keep one of Thompson or Vaughn, but if Judie is healthy I doubt it.

Now safety:

Moore - looked lost last year but has great ball skills and good athleticism. He'll get a shot no matter what as he was a 2nd round pick.

Carter - starting SS, no question.

Bruton - good special teamer who had flashes of being an acceptable safety last year, probably just good depth.

Adams - stop gap starting FS, he's on the team no question. Moore can bump him out of the starting lineup though with a good showing.

Ihenacho - SS type who's best chance to make the 53 man is to beat out Bruton. Tough work when Bruton is so entrenched as a top special teamer. I'm betting Ihenacho is a practice squader.

So if you look at the way it breaks down and recognize Vaughn and Thompson for what they are (stop gaps who don't have the complete package) then you see that its a pretty easy fit with 9 total DBs on the 53 man. Given Harris' versatility I wouldn't be surprised to see an attempt to get by with 8 though and sneak Judie on the PS, if it alleviates a roster crunch somewhere else.

Rohirrim
04-29-2012, 09:17 AM
I'm still high on Sydquan. He may be rough overall, but I think he has the heart of a playmaker. I'm looking forward to a big comeback this season.

That One Guy
04-29-2012, 09:27 AM
Umm...Umm...Just...Umm...:sunshine:

?

Are you thinking he misused Tebow's name?

I think the point was that in the time Tebow would still be in his windup, Osweiler has already completed the pass. How else could it be interpreted?

hambone13
04-29-2012, 10:05 AM
Wholly cow, he looks like he is 5'2" 150 lbs.

I don't know how you could gather that from that video. Shaq would look tiny from that angle. He looks like he could be Champ's cousin....hopefully he got the tackling genes.

elsid13
04-29-2012, 10:58 AM
I think the team got some solid rotational players, but no one that going to have a Von Miller type impact on the team. But you need guys like this to build depth.

sgbfan
04-29-2012, 11:16 AM
?

Are you thinking he misused Tebow's name?

I think the point was that in the time Tebow would still be in his windup, Osweiler has already completed the pass. How else could it be interpreted?

Exactly. Tebow has such a slow release compared to such a quick release from Osweiller.

CrazyCoffey
04-29-2012, 11:28 AM
I'm kind of surprised Austin Wuebbels didn't get drafted. An UDFA that will make the team for $1000 Alex.....

Gallandro
04-29-2012, 12:02 PM
Give our guys an honest assessment and you don't see nearly the roster squeeze, if you ask me.

Look at CB:

Omar Bolden - starter level talent, coming back from an ACL so he's got health flags.

Not really... the injury happened in the ASU 2011 Spring games. He could have returned late last season (Nov/Dec 2011) but opted not to as he was toying with sticking around the program for another season when he was awarded another year of eligibility. But he was smart and saw the trainwreck that was the end of the Devils season last year and declared.

razorwire77
04-29-2012, 12:13 PM
If Bolden is ready to go, he's going to push Tracy Porter to start opposite Champ. Given Fox's propensity to start veterans, Porter will probably still get the nod, but I bet Bolden is at the very least the first extra DB off of the bench in passing situations.

Drek
04-29-2012, 01:07 PM
Not really... the injury happened in the ASU 2011 Spring games. He could have returned late last season (Nov/Dec 2011) but opted not to as he was toying with sticking around the program for another season when he was awarded another year of eligibility. But he was smart and saw the trainwreck that was the end of the Devils season last year and declared.

Sure, but he also missed a bunch of time in '09 with a knee injury. He's had some questions with his wheels, that's just a fact.

ACLs aren't career killer like they used to be, or even the 24 month handicap where it took 12 months to get on the field and another 12 to get your speed back. It is highly likely he's 100% day one and every day going forward, but there is a cause for health concerns.

If 100% though we just got a guy who is a damn good bet to bump Porter down to the nickel and move Harris into a dime/free safety role.

If Bolden is ready to go, he's going to push Tracy Porter to start opposite Champ. Given Fox's propensity to start veterans, Porter will probably still get the nod, but I bet Bolden is at the very least the first extra DB off of the bench in passing situations.

I think you'll see Bolden be the first guy for outside work behind Champ and Porter while Harris will be the nickel. When they want to go with four CBs I wouldn't be surprised if both Harris and Porter play inside so that Bolden can stay in his comfort zone outside.

Imagine the value gained if Bolden (4th round pick), Harris (UDFA) and Jodie (UDFA) all fulfill their potential. We could be looking at a Broncos team in two or three years with those guys as our top three CBs and we might actually view it as a position of strength despite almost very real draft value tied up in the unit.

razorwire77
04-29-2012, 01:28 PM
Imagine the value gained if Bolden (4th round pick), Harris (UDFA) and Jodie (UDFA) all fulfill their potential. We could be looking at a Broncos team in two or three years with those guys as our top three CBs and we might actually view it as a position of strength despite almost very real draft value tied up in the unit.

Overall, I think we have a much more physically strong group of CBs than in years past. Bolden has the physical ability to be a much more effective press corners than anybody when had in dime and nickel situations last year.

Mat'hir Uth Gan
04-29-2012, 04:54 PM

Champ Bailey
Tracy Porter
Chris Harris
Cassius Vaughn
Omar Bolden
Syd'quan Thompson
Coryell Judie

Who gets cut?

Moore
Carter
Bruton
Adams
Ihenacho

Teams usually keep 9-11 secondary players depending on special teams roles.

I think at CB we'll go:

Bailey
Porter
Harris
Bolden
Vaughn

I think Judie goes to the PS, I think Syd'Quan is cut. Thompson's best chance is that he's really the only backup slot CB we have. Vaughn's special teams value is probably what saves him. It's completely possible we keep six CBs with Thompson making the team, but if Judie, Bolden, or Vaughn show any ounce of slot CB capability, Thompson is expendable.

At Safety, it's pretty clear:

Adams
Carter
Moore
Bruton

I do think Ihenacho has a good shot at the PS.

What hurts the chances of keeping another special teams guy in the secondary is that we drafted Trevathan, as well as already having a good ST unit from last year.