PDA

View Full Version : Philip Blake, Center, Baylor

Rohirrim
04-28-2012, 09:46 AM
6'3", 311, 5.25 forty, Bench: 22

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/bay/sports/m-footbl/auto_widephoto/5756128.jpeg

Pass blocking: Former right tackle possesses the length and footwork to mirror any interior lineman. Plays with low center of gravity, natural bend and lateral quickness. Flashes a strong enough anchor to pancake overextended defenders, but can be pushed backwards when his hands aren't on his man's numbers. Also gets out-quicked when hand placement is off. Reliable, accurate shotgun snapper. Run blocking: Strong run blocker capable of moving the nose tackle to his left or right with his upper body. Agile enough to seal to either side when uncovered. Inconsistent down-blocking and finding the mike linebacker on combo blocks in tight quarters, gets stuck at the line at times instead of moving to second level. Inconsistent intensity and hand placement to
sustain after initial contact. Stops his feet too often, losing his balance or allowing his man comes off his block. Stays low, gets some movement in short-yardage situations but typically just holds the line. Pulling/trapping: Does not move behind the line often. Flashes the quickness and agility to pull from either the center or guard spots, but seems best staying inside due to lack of height and inconsistency hitting targets. Initial Quickness: Gets his hands onto his man quickly after shotgun snap. Flashes quickness out of his stance and the footwork to attack defensive tackles on stretch plays. Reaches instead of moving his feet after the snap at times, allows quicker tackles to penetrate into the A-gap. Downfield: Possesses the foot quickness to get in front of screens and reach linebackers, and is difficult to get around with his wide body and length if in balance. Struggles to hit targets in the open field, however, and lacks agility to adjust to quicker linebackers in space. Uses length to knock a defender off his route to the ball but does not sustain for long enough. Intangibles: Older than the typical prospect (26 in November 2011). Played in secondary school in Canada, Canadian college and junior college before attending Baylor. Plays with some attitude, gets on top of defenders on the ground, but needs to play through the whistle more consistently. --Chad Reuter

Requiem
04-28-2012, 09:48 AM
Nice pot belly, ya fat ****ball.

Rohirrim
04-28-2012, 09:51 AM
Nice pot belly, ya fat ****ball.

Hmmm. That's exactly what I want my center to look like. Ha!

bpc
04-28-2012, 09:53 AM
Andre Gurode pt II. Like.

Kaylore
04-28-2012, 10:06 AM
He is more experienced than most rookie centers. He has good feet and anchors well, which is more than we can say for Walton and Beadles. More importantly, he is experienced at taking calls and plays at the LOS. I wonder why that my be important? :)

DENVERDUI55
04-28-2012, 10:28 AM
I like OL to be big fat slobs not little fleas that get pushed around.

Vegas_Bronco
04-28-2012, 10:52 AM
Lol...the #1 center was available but I like this guys attitude. And we all know he knows how to screen block. Interesting pick.

DenverBrit
04-28-2012, 12:09 PM
Lol...the #1 center was available but I like this guys attitude. And we all know he knows how to screen block. Interesting pick.

Apparently not.

Classic case of ignore the idiot mocks and take the player the best for the teams' need.

razorwire77
04-28-2012, 12:24 PM
I'm not going to pretend like I watched a **** ton of Baylor offensive lineman during CFB, but the scouting reports on this kid seem decent. Could be stronger, but adequate strength. Has extensive experience and decent quickness. Seems to be a better run blocker than pass blocker, which seems odd given that he was RGIII's center. With Kupe's injury and Beadles' sucking, I think it's possible that he gets moved to guard, but regardless he'll push Walton and Beadles both.

broncosteven
04-28-2012, 12:25 PM
I like this pick. Glad we got a C to help shore up the interior OL!

OrangeSe7en
04-28-2012, 12:29 PM
He must have got his foot in the door just in time when Jack accepted him as a friend on facebook 3 days ago.

KevinJames
04-28-2012, 12:32 PM
Sooooo glad we drafted him I was really afraid we were going to waste the pick on that other center Molk. Blake is a way better choice and its obvious now as Molk still isn't off the board.

mwill07
04-28-2012, 12:42 PM
because the last C we drafted from Baylor was an epic success...

kappys
04-28-2012, 05:31 PM
I like this pick - very strong. I think he might have a future at LG - Zane is just too weak to handle rushing UT's. Walton may suck in the run game but he's a reasonable pass protector. We need a guy like this with good strength to handle DT's in the pass game even if it means the run game suffers (we're changing the offense to pass happy anyways so what does it matter?)

Lestat
04-28-2012, 06:34 PM
there's a reason offensive linemen are called big uglies. they need to be big, ugly, mean and imposing. i'm not a big fan of smallish OL, even when we ran the zone blocking i wanted us to get bigger. hopefully this OL can maul and mash guys. we had issues getting guys off the LOS and sustaining holes for the RB's. this should help along with Manning being a highly adept passer.

Mogulseeker
04-28-2012, 06:48 PM
So we start the same five guys?

Mediator12
04-28-2012, 06:56 PM
Blake is a great center who has not been there very long. He started as a RT, moved to guard, and then started the last two years at Baylor as Center for the first time. His Floor is a Swing OL, his Ceiling is a probowl interior lineman. He is physical and very competitive and I love this pick.

gyldenlove
04-28-2012, 07:20 PM
Blake is a great center who has not been there very long. He started as a RT, moved to guard, and then started the last two years at Baylor as Center for the first time. His Floor is a Swing OL, his Ceiling is a probowl interior lineman. He is physical and very competitive and I love this pick.

He hasn't played football that long, so he is a guy who can benefit from coaching - I really hope they have patience with him and let him sit for a year to develop.

pricejj
04-28-2012, 07:34 PM
I expect there to be a camp battle, with Blaker winning the starting job.

broncosteven
04-28-2012, 07:39 PM
I expect there to be a camp battle, with Blaker winning the starting job.

It is funny how I don't seem to dispise Walton and Beadles as much as the other mCd era picks even though they are clearly the weak link in the OL. Maybe I hated the Hockstein pickup that much more.

Either way I want to see the interior get better and the nice thing about our OL Kuper will be the oldest OL. We will be set for years at OL if Franklin improves and Blake pans out.

cutthemdown
04-28-2012, 07:41 PM
If he's even NFL starter material he beats out Walton IMO.

pricejj
04-28-2012, 08:13 PM
It is funny how I don't seem to dispise Walton and Beadles as much as the other mCd era picks even though they are clearly the weak link in the OL. Maybe I hated the Hockstein pickup that much more.

Either way I want to see the interior get better and the nice thing about our OL Kuper will be the oldest OL. We will be set for years at OL if Franklin improves and Blake pans out.

I don't despise any players...if they are actually good and deserve to start. Walton has been the worst in the NFL for 2 years now...it's time to go.

Lestat
04-28-2012, 08:38 PM

they were need picks that filled the need and stopped some of the bleeding on the OL for a time. then they didn't improve and you don't "hate" them because the scheme changed and they're a bit out of place.

cutthemdown
04-28-2012, 11:01 PM
I doubt Broncos haves solved the problems with the interior oline. Maybe if Harris made some big comeback and started looking super good at RT. Then they thought hmm maybe Franklin can play guard, and that worked out as well. Otherwise this Center would have to be a first yr starter for us to get better. Not easy to play center as a rookie. Looks how bad Walton was first yr. He still plays like John Boy Walton IMO. DT say Goodnight John Boy while they plow him back into the running lanes.

Agamemnon
04-28-2012, 11:07 PM
i'm not a big fan of smallish OL, even when we ran the zone blocking i wanted us to get bigger.

I'm now picturing you sitting on your couch, watching a game, and griping about "how tiny our lineman are" back in '97 and '98. Hilarious!

Agamemnon
04-28-2012, 11:09 PM
By the way, I'll be shocked if this guy doesn't displace Beadles or Walton by the end of the season, and that's not because of how great I think he is.

Drek
04-29-2012, 04:54 AM
I doubt Broncos haves solved the problems with the interior oline. Maybe if Harris made some big comeback and started looking super good at RT. Then they thought hmm maybe Franklin can play guard, and that worked out as well. Otherwise this Center would have to be a first yr starter for us to get better. Not easy to play center as a rookie. Looks how bad Walton was first yr. He still plays like John Boy Walton IMO. DT say Goodnight John Boy while they plow him back into the running lanes.

Or maybe, just maybe, Walton and Beadles improve with a full off-season of coaching from a quality OL coach for the first time in their careers?

Their rookie year they were coached by a TE coach moved to OL for one season, he's back at TE now.

Last year they couldn't talk to Magazu until it was basically "hurry up, learn the system, start playing pre-season games".

Now they will finally get some real coaching from Magazu. Same for Franklin. If you consider how much that should help the three youngest members of our OL and how much Clady getting a full off-season of conditioning with the club post-injury could help him you can see how our OL might just be poised to take a big step forward.

Blake is a very good pick. He immediately gives us a swing OG/C to pair with Ryan Harris as our swing OT. We now go seven deep on the OL. Despite all the OL complaints last year we actually dodged a bullet with nobody getting hurt until the very tail end of the season. Now we have enough real depth to not be dependent on that kind of luck to make it through 2012.