PDA

View Full Version : Why Not Courtney Upshaw?

Rohirrim
04-27-2012, 12:33 PM
As far as value picks go, right now this guy would be the top of the list. He's basically a slightly bigger clone of Elvis Dumervil and ran the same 40 time of 4.75. He can play DE in a 4-3. Maybe even a LB position, although his coverage skills are suspect. His real strength, like Doom, is rushing the passer. At #36 he would be the best value pick on the board. Most boards had him listed around 20. There's one hang up in his record, a fight with a gf where charges were dropped.

As far as first round value goes, he's at the top of the list, followed by:

Cordy Glenn
Jerel Worthy
Coby Fleener
Devon Still
Reuben Randle
Stephen Hill

Oops! Forgot to add Cordy.

DBroncos4life
04-27-2012, 12:35 PM
I like the idea. Doesn't he have off field issues though?

Dedhed
04-27-2012, 12:35 PM
Injury/character concerns.

I like
Worthy
Still
Hill
Randle
Fleener

If I'm ordering your post to my liking.

Rohirrim
04-27-2012, 12:37 PM
I like the idea. Doesn't he have off field issues though?

The only thing I could find is that he had a fight with a gf that the police witnessed. Both were arrested and charges were later dropped. ???

Jay3
04-27-2012, 12:38 PM
He's pretty good, but the safer move is to not take him and trade back.

MVP-06
04-27-2012, 12:39 PM
What is the character concerns? NFLN had a good piece on him the other day and he seems like a good kid. Was taken in by a friends family pretty young and did pretty well for himself. I would slide him into the DT spot and wreak havoc

Rohirrim
04-27-2012, 12:42 PM
The arrest happened in 2009. No reports of trouble since.

MVP-06
04-27-2012, 12:43 PM
Smells like a Baltimore pick

Rohirrim
04-27-2012, 12:47 PM
Smells like a Baltimore pick

Yeah, but he would be an OLB in their system. Kind of high pick for a backup.

SonOfLe-loLang
04-27-2012, 12:49 PM
He's kinda short...and doesnt have doom/freeney pass rushing skills....interesting guy though

DBroncos4life
04-27-2012, 12:49 PM
"The more Courtney Upshaw talked (in the interview process), the more I got scared. He has a lot of distractions in his life. There are a lot of concerns there. We need an edge guy, but we wouldn't touch him in the first (round). I'd have hesitations in the second where we're picking, after hearing him talk about grabbing his girlfriend by the hair."

From a combine interview.

MVP-06
04-27-2012, 12:52 PM
"The more Courtney Upshaw talked (in the interview process), the more I got scared. He has a lot of distractions in his life. There are a lot of concerns there. We need an edge guy, but we wouldn't touch him in the first (round). I'd have hesitations in the second where we're picking, after hearing him talk about grabbing his girlfriend by the hair."

sex story gone bad

Rohirrim
04-27-2012, 12:53 PM

That's pretty creepy.

55CrushEm
04-27-2012, 12:58 PM

Yeah, yeah.....I want to keep trading back until we have nothing but 7th round picks.....maybe 14 or 15 of them!!

^5

Drek
04-27-2012, 01:10 PM
1. Doom has a much longer wingspan than Upshaw and ran the same 40 as Upshaw with a bum wheel because Mike Vick's younger brother cleated his calf near the end of that college season.

2. Where would Upshaw play? Ayers is just coming into his own and he's a good run stopper. Upshaw won't keep guys off Miller in like Ayers can.

3. Cordy Glenn is a bigger immediate impact. Konz probably would be too.

Jay3
04-27-2012, 01:12 PM
Yeah, yeah.....I want to keep trading back until we have nothing but 7th round picks.....maybe 14 or 15 of them!!

^5

Or, as was the case with the last trade back to 36, no additional picks, just keep moving up the later round picks.

Xander's goal is to achieve the rare "pick merge" where ultimately the Broncos cause a later round pick to move up and meet the moved back pick -- LOOK OUT, CONSECUTIVE PICKS!

Black96WS6
04-27-2012, 01:13 PM

Agreed. Keep trading down and stockpiling picks for the 6th and 7th rounds. That's where the real value is.

lonestar
04-27-2012, 01:15 PM
1. Doom has a much longer wingspan than Upshaw and ran the same 40 as Upshaw with a bum wheel because Mike Vick's younger brother cleated his calf near the end of that college season.

2. Where would Upshaw play? Ayers is just coming into his own and he's a good run stopper. Upshaw won't keep guys off Miller in like Ayers can.

good post..

IF we did not have holes to fill at DT then and only then would I like getting another DE..

We have plenty of them and there is only so much pass rushing you can do.. Especially if they are KNOWING they can run on you in third and long situations like they did last year late in the season....

MagicHef
04-27-2012, 01:16 PM
WWNYGD?

Rohirrim
04-27-2012, 01:18 PM

Damn! You have all the inside poop. Ha!

Yeah. I was just wondering why he's dropping so bad. Seems like his issues were resolved a couple of years ago. Maybe he's just such a tweener that nobody can figure out how he would plug in? You're right, I'd much rather see Glenn on the Broncos. I just don't have much hope of that happening. Maybe they'll trade with the Rams tonight? :)

I looked up Upshaw's wingspan. It's actually the same as Doom's - 32"

ludo21
04-27-2012, 01:21 PM
no, but i agree it would be great value

Tombstone RJ
04-27-2012, 01:21 PM
As far as value picks go, right now this guy would be the top of the list. He's basically a slightly bigger clone of Elvis Dumervil and ran the same 40 time of 4.75. He can play DE in a 4-3. Maybe even a LB position, although his coverage skills are suspect. His real strength, like Doom, is rushing the passer. At #36 he would be the best value pick on the board. Most boards had him listed around 20. There's one hang up in his record, a fight with a gf where charges were dropped.

Jerel Worthy
Coby Fleener
Devon Still
Reuben Randle
Stephen Hill

Yah, I wouldn't mind the Broncos taking Upshaw for one reason--impact player on defense.

Drunken.Broncoholic
04-27-2012, 01:26 PM

Cordy Glenn
Jerel Worthy
Coby Fleener
Devon Still
Reuben Randle
Stephen Hill

Oops! Forgot to add Cordy.

ive changed my mind about 6 times today so for the next 10 minutes i want them taking Upshaw..

Smiling Assassin27
04-27-2012, 01:31 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>At this time, St. Louis does not intend to trade the first pick in the second round and plans to use it instead. <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%2523Ramsontheclock">#Ramsontheclock</a></p>&mdash; Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/195969661953777665" data-datetime="2012-04-27T20:16:23+00:00">April 27, 2012</a></blockquote>
<script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

pricejj
04-27-2012, 01:34 PM

1. Cordy Glenn (RT)
2. Jonathan Martin (RT)
3. Peter Konz (C)
4. ****

Drek
04-27-2012, 01:36 PM
Damn! You have all the inside poop. Ha!

Yeah. I was just wondering why he's dropping so bad. Seems like his issues were resolved a couple of years ago. Maybe he's just such a tweener that nobody can figure out how he would plug in? You're right, I'd much rather see Glenn on the Broncos. I just don't have much hope of that happening. Maybe they'll trade with the Rams tonight? :)

He's dropping for the same reasons as Ingram. He's got t-rex arms and only two DEs with arms as short as Ingram's and Upshaw's have posted 10+ sack seasons in recent history with arms that short. James Harrison and Robert Mathis. Harrison took FOREVER to get good and is also massively boosted by his system. Neither Ingram or Upshaw are as explosive off the ball as Mathis.

Upshaw is sliding further because Ingram is the better athlete, but both are sliding because no one has faith in them being able to beat the long armed OTs that dominate the NFL's starting ranks.

Doom works because he's short but has the wingspan of a guy about half a foot taller. He's low and forces OTs to come down to him or give up leverage, meanwhile they can't get hands on him before he can push back because his reach is just as long. Couple that with a very well rounded tool box of pass rush moves and you have a guy who is a nightmare to stop.

Look at Upshaw:
http://murphsdraftsite.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/courtney-upshaw-p1.jpg

Look at Melvin Ingram:
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/0910/ncf_a_melviningram_cmg_300.jpg

Then look at Doom:
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2009/writers/ross_tucker/12/11/mail/elvis-dumervil.jpg

You can visibly see the difference.

cmhargrove
04-27-2012, 01:38 PM
If you are going to take a kid with character concerns, just suck it up and take Janoris Jenkins. He is possibly the most talented CB in this year's draft. Our ability to compete against the best offenses in the NFL would take a huge jump.

I'm just playing devil's advocate, but someone is going to pull the trigger in round 2.

I bet if you play your cards right, you could clean up on DT's in round 2. How would Devon Still #36 and Jerel Worthy #57 look in round 2?

Rohirrim
04-27-2012, 01:44 PM
If you are going to take a kid with character concerns, just suck it up and take Janoris Jenkins. He is possibly the most talented CB in this year's draft. Our ability to compete against the best offenses in the NFL would take a huge jump.

I'm just playing devil's advocate, but someone is going to pull the trigger in round 2.

I bet if you play your cards right, you could clean up on DT's in round 2. How would Devon Still #36 and Jerel Worthy #57 look in round 2?

Compared to Upshaw, Jenkins "character concerns" are like a mountain to a molehill. I'm not advocating for Upshaw. I just think he's the highest "value" player still on the board. I think Worthy will go before Still. A lot of teams seem to be shying away from Still. He doesn't seem to have impressed anybody. Worthy has impressed, but there are doubts.

pricejj
04-27-2012, 01:45 PM

Holy Mother****. Thanks for the visuals Drek!

Drunken.Broncoholic
04-27-2012, 01:49 PM
Justin Smith has short arms.

Rohirrim
04-27-2012, 01:50 PM
He's dropping for the same reasons as Ingram. He's got t-rex arms and only two DEs with arms as short as Ingram's and Upshaw's have posted 10+ sack seasons in recent history with arms that short. James Harrison and Robert Mathis. Harrison took FOREVER to get good and is also massively boosted by his system. Neither Ingram or Upshaw are as explosive off the ball as Mathis.

Upshaw is sliding further because Ingram is the better athlete, but both are sliding because no one has faith in them being able to beat the long armed OTs that dominate the NFL's starting ranks.

Doom works because he's short but has the wingspan of a guy about half a foot taller. He's low and forces OTs to come down to him or give up leverage, meanwhile they can't get hands on him before he can push back because his reach is just as long. Couple that with a very well rounded tool box of pass rush moves and you have a guy who is a nightmare to stop.

Look at Upshaw:
http://murphsdraftsite.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/courtney-upshaw-p1.jpg

Look at Melvin Ingram:
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/0910/ncf_a_melviningram_cmg_300.jpg

Then look at Doom:
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2009/writers/ross_tucker/12/11/mail/elvis-dumervil.jpg

Yeah. I guess the Broncos really wouldn't have a spot for him. He'd have to play DE in our system. The one thing Doom has that Upshaw isn't known for is his explosiveness. He just takes OT off guard.

DBroncos4life
04-27-2012, 01:51 PM

He will never make it. :P

Smiling Assassin27
04-27-2012, 01:51 PM
Holy Mother****. Thanks for the visuals Drek!

Once again, Doom:

http://www.universal-heros.com/zen-cart/images/products/doctor_octopus_bust-bowen.jpg

The other two:

http://www.freakingnews.com/pictures/60500/Mike-Tyson-with-Short-Arms-60703.jpg

Smiling Assassin27
04-27-2012, 01:52 PM

Sincerely,

Ted Gregory

Tombstone RJ
04-27-2012, 01:53 PM
meh on the short arms. Point is that Upshaw can come in and provide another pass rusher to an already good pass rushing team. Imagin a line up with Doom, Ayers (at UT), DT, and Upshaw, along with Miller. One of them will get to the QB.

DBroncos4life
04-27-2012, 01:55 PM
I think Curry will be a better pro then Upshaw. Curry is a beast, like JPP beast.

Drunken.Broncoholic
04-27-2012, 01:56 PM
Sincerely,

Ted Gregory

My Condolences,

Dan Reeves

Dr. Broncenstein
04-27-2012, 02:10 PM
If a girl doesnt appreciate a little love tug of her hair, she needs to be replaced.

Rohirrim
04-27-2012, 02:12 PM
meh on the short arms. Point is that Upshaw can come in and provide another pass rusher to an already good pass rushing team. Imagin a line up with Doom, Ayers (at UT), DT, and Upshaw, along with Miller. One of them will get to the QB.

That's true. If you moved Ayers to UT and had Upshaw opposite Doom, then Miller could pretty much just look for a gap.

Rabb
04-27-2012, 02:13 PM
If a girl doesnt appreciate a little love tug of her hair, she needs to be replaced.

truth

^5

Tombstone RJ
04-27-2012, 02:22 PM
That's true. If you moved Ayers to UT and had Upshaw opposite Doom, then Miller could pretty much just look for a gap.

Yep, move Ayers inside. In essence this is what the Giants do with their dline. I just want impact players on defense. Fox can get creative and move guys around IMHO.

Tombstone RJ
04-27-2012, 02:23 PM

when the whoman gets uppity, well, sometimes Mr. Caveman has to show up.