PDA

View Full Version : Did you like the trades on Day 1? Yes or No?

ludo21
04-27-2012, 07:10 AM
Simple question, let's get it down on the record before the draft continues.....

lolcopter
04-27-2012, 07:18 AM
I liked all the trades in general, but I hated ours

Rabb
04-27-2012, 07:20 AM
I like it for the most part, would I have liked a little more in return? Yes. I do like that they stuck to their draft board values though, good teams do.

Drek
04-27-2012, 07:25 AM
I liked the concept, I didn't like the execution. Would feel way better about it if we had kept #126 and added #101, not swapped them. Also would have been in favor of trading back in exchange for a 2013 3rd as opposed to what we got.

The thought process was right, we just failed at negotiating for maximum value. Likely because we were desperate to move.

I still think that in reality we should have been an aggressor once we saw how the draft was playing out. Either trade up over Pittsburgh and get DeCastro or trade up to Seattle's pick and get Coples to play UT. Those would have been brilliant moves.

Still a ton of potential on the board for the Broncos to make good things happen with, and I hope they find a way to trade back into the 2nd, making three selections in the 2nd round would do this roster a ton of good.

Just avoid taking a QB or TE.

BowlenBall
04-27-2012, 07:29 AM
I liked the concept, I didn't like the execution. Would feel way better about it if we had kept #126 and added #101, not swapped them. Also would have been in favor of trading back in exchange for a 2013 3rd as opposed to what we got.

The thought process was right, we just failed at negotiating for maximum value. Likely because we were desperate to move.

I still think that in reality we should have been an aggressor once we saw how the draft was playing out. Either trade up over Pittsburgh and get DeCastro or trade up to Seattle's pick and get Coples to play UT. Those would have been brilliant moves.

Still a ton of potential on the board for the Broncos to make good things happen with, and I hope they find a way to trade back into the 2nd, making three selections in the 2nd round would do this roster a ton of good.

^5

MABroncoFan
04-27-2012, 07:31 AM
I thought the 2nd trade back should've been 31 for 36 and 101 ... no swapping of 4th round picks.

Dedhed

Just avoid taking a QB or TE.This. I like moving back, but we got jobbed in terms of value.

barryr

Yep, pretty much agreed. I advocated trading down months ago, but was hoping for better return.

Endy
04-27-2012, 07:32 AM
I liked it because EFX obviously thinks we can get who we want at 36. I also know that this draft isn't too top heavy so that the draft chart thingy doesn't exactly apply b/c many teams aren't willing to trade up for a mediocre middle of the first round pick.

That said, I wish they could've gotten more out of Tampa because they obviously wanted to sneak in front of the Giants for the RB.

ColoradoBuff
04-27-2012, 07:35 AM
Yes if we get our guy at 36 that we wanted at 25~

Kaylore
04-27-2012, 07:40 AM
I like the idea of trading down if you don't like the value. I like the idea of getting more picks. But I don't believe we got fair value and therefore I voted no. I don't think we're as "screwed" as some here are suggesting. I don't think we're the "laughing stock" of the NFL as Agamemmnon insists. I do think when teams know you want to trade back, they aren't going to give you their best offer. We weren't the only team that got short changed on a trade back, but that doesn't make it ok.

I will say they better find some good people. I do disagree that trading back is still bad even if you get great players. That's totally false - especially if you were going to be forced to take someone else based on your spot who would have not worked out.

At the end of the day, you have to choose correctly, regardless of position. But for the sake of this poll, I thought we lost value - essentially getting a high fourth to move back, what, 15 spots?

lolcopter
04-27-2012, 07:42 AM
^ 11 spots

Rohirrim
04-27-2012, 07:45 AM
We should have taken Hightower and let him become our next Al Wilson. Mays ain't that. I don't care how much you pay him.

Rabb
04-27-2012, 07:46 AM
We should have taken Hightower and let him become our next Al Wilson. Mays ain't that. I don't care how much you pay him.

Just tells me between Mays and Irving Del Rio and Fox believe this wasn't a need

BroncoInferno
04-27-2012, 07:47 AM

Regardless of what you think of the trades, having three 4ths gives us a lot of flexibility to move up if we want. And considering most of the trades that occured yesterday, it's a buyers market, so we very well may be able to package our 3rd and the later of the 4ths and get back into the 2nd if we want.

BroncoBen
Loved the Broncos moving back... if the players are not there on your board at #25.. trade back. The Broncos have ammunition to trade back up into the 2nd round.. I would love the Broncos to have 3 picks in the 2nd round.

I am willing to bet 2 of 3 would be starters.. the 3rd a contributor.

BroncoBeavis
I like the idea of trading down if you don't like the value. I like the idea of getting more picks. But I don't believe we got fair value and therefore I voted no. I don't think we're as "screwed" as some here are suggesting. I don't think we're the "laughing stock" of the NFL as Agamemmnon insists. I do think when teams know you want to trade back, they aren't going to give you their best offer.

That's why you take their guy and give them the finger. Especially if it's Bill B. Maybe that's just me.. :)

Goobzilla
I was promised impact players, I don't want every pick in the fourth round. Last night was the ultimate case of draft blue balls. I hope it all works out, the idea of helping the Pats get their guy really doesn't sit well with me.

BroncoInferno
04-27-2012, 07:48 AM

We need LBs who can cover. Hightower is a 2 down thumper...a very good one to be sure, but those guys aren't worth a 1st in todays NFL, IMHO. I'd love Mychal Kendricks @ #36 or maybe Spence later on. Both those guys can fly and have the versatility to play MLB or weakside LB.

BroncoBeavis
04-27-2012, 07:50 AM
Loved the Broncos moving back... if the players are not there on your board at #25.. trade back. The Broncos have ammunition to trade back up into the 2nd round.. I would love the Broncos to have 3 picks in the 2nd round.

I am willing to bet 2 of 3 would be starters.. the 3rd a contributor.

I just don't understand the logic of watching someone trade back only to say "now they have the ammo to trade back up" Seems like that approach doesn't add up somewhere.

Drek
04-27-2012, 07:50 AM
Regardless of what you think of the trades, having three 4ths gives us a lot of flexibility to move up if we want. And considering most of the trades that occured yesterday, it's a buyers market, so we very well may be able to package our 3rd and the later of the 4ths and get back into the 2nd if we want.

It was a buyers market for that tier of the draft. No guarantee that it will remain as such in the early to mid 2nd.

If we had kept #126 this whole draft looks different for us, you have to see that. That is my only real complaint here.

Doesn't mean we can't still make some excellent picks though. Talent is on the board and the Broncos are obviously looking for good value at their picks. Good chance that tonight is a very positive night for Broncos football.

PS. everyone needs to hop on the Cordy Glenn train with me. Dude would revolutionize our interior OL. Talk about a dancing bear.

Dedhed
04-27-2012, 07:53 AM
Regardless of what you think of the trades, having three 4ths gives us a lot of flexibility to move up if we want.

But not as much flexibility as if we had three higher 4ths or two 3rds and two 4ths. You keep making the same specious argument over and over.

We didn't get good value for moving back, period. You can spin that all you want, but we still have less value to work with than we should.

GreatBronco16
04-27-2012, 07:54 AM
We need LBs who can cover. Hightower is a 2 down thumper...a very good one to be sure, but those guys aren't worth a 1st in todays NFL, IMHO. I'd love Mychal Kendricks @ #36 or maybe Spence later on. Both those guys can fly and have the versatility to play MLB or weakside LB.

Even at the end of round 1??? We do also need some LBers that can stop the run. We have a pure pass rushing LBer, a Fly around and miss LBer, and a drunken LBer who might very well miss 4-5 games. Taking Hightower at 26 would not have been a bad/wasted pick.

55CrushEm
04-27-2012, 07:55 AM

Agreed....especially the bolded part.

BroncoBen
04-27-2012, 07:55 AM
I just don't understand the logic of watching someone trade back only to say "now they have the ammo to trade back up" Seems like that approach doesn't add up somewhere.

Right now the Broncos have 2 picks in the 2nd round, chances are both players will be contributing... as apposed to having 1 pick that would contribute.

Pretty much the players from #15 deep into the 2nd round rate out about the same.

Rohirrim
04-27-2012, 07:56 AM
Just tells me between Mays and Irving Del Rio and Fox believe this wasn't a need

Sometimes you go with BPA regardless of need. Nick Saban, and obviously, Bill Belichick think Hightower is a damn good player. Otherwise, why trade up to get him? You can pretty much move Dont'a anywhere you want. Mixing him in with Doom and Von would have been devastating, IMHO. He's a rabid film watcher, high character, high effort guy, and smart. Who's the player the Broncos knew would slip? I'm afraid it's going to be Jenkins. I think somebody is going to trade up above us to take Worthy.

lolcopter
04-27-2012, 07:56 AM
Brb helping the patriots win a super bowl

Dedhed
04-27-2012, 07:57 AM
PS. everyone needs to hop on the Cordy Glenn train with me. Dude would revolutionize our interior OL. Talk about a dancing bear.
I could maybe get to that point. It's not sexy at all, but we have serious woes on the interior OL. Beadles and Walton are not high quality, and Kuper is a question mark at this point because of his ankle. Glenn would immediately upgrade Beadles and give us a contingency plan in case Kuper has a set back.

Rohirrim
04-27-2012, 07:57 AM
It was a buyers market for that tier of the draft. No guarantee that it will remain as such in the early to mid 2nd.

If we had kept #126 this whole draft looks different for us, you have to see that. That is my only real complaint here.

Doesn't mean we can't still make some excellent picks though. Talent is on the board and the Broncos are obviously looking for good value at their picks. Good chance that tonight is a very positive night for Broncos football.

I'm assuming the Rams take him with the first pick. I'll be surprised if they don't. They desperately need to upgrade at LG.

Rohirrim
04-27-2012, 08:01 AM

Don't agree at all. The Big Hoodie obviously doesn't either. He can play run stuffer (he's one of the best) in the middle for two downs and then move up to DE on the third, while Ayers moves inside, and rush the passer. Mixed in with Von and Doom he would be a killer.

cmhargrove
04-27-2012, 08:04 AM

Hightower isn't really a good comparison with Al Wilson at all. If you want a player with a very similar skillset to Wilson, that's Mychal Kendricks and he's still on the board.

Dedhed
04-27-2012, 08:06 AM
I'm assuming the Rams take him with the first pick. I'll be surprised if they don't. They desperately need to upgrade at LG.
Maybe they'll jump for Johnathan Martin instead.

Jekyll15Hyde
04-27-2012, 08:09 AM
liked moving down but not getting value like Balt got from 29 to 35

BroncoInferno
04-27-2012, 08:10 AM
Don't agree at all. The Big Hoodie obviously doesn't either. He can play run stuffer (he's one of the best) in the middle for two downs and then move up to DE on the third, while Ayers moves inside, and rush the passer. Mixed in with Von and Doom he would be a killer.

Hightower had 4 sacks last season, 6 for his career. Moving him down to DE did not translate into bigtime pass rush. As far as Hoodie goes, look at his recent draft history. His record is not above reproach.

Drek
04-27-2012, 08:11 AM

I bet they take Stephen Hill. They got bit in the ass on WR twice in the first, just missing out on Blackmon and then just missing out on Floyd. All the sports radio talk in St. Louis this morning is how they intended to get one of the two and came up just short for either. Hill is a similar upside pick as Kenny Britt, who Fisher selected in Tennessee.

Rohirrim
04-27-2012, 08:12 AM
Hightower isn't really a good comparison with Al Wilson at all. If you want a player with a very similar skillset to Wilson, that's Mychal Kendricks and he's still on the board.

I meant it more as a dominator, play caller, team captain and leader in the middle. He's more versatile than Wilson was, but the same kind of character.

IMO, what the Broncos did was call a play, see it wasn't happening as planned, and instead of checking down (taking what was handed to them and getting the first down) they threw it out of bounds.

55CrushEm
04-27-2012, 08:14 AM
Right now the Broncos have 2 picks in the 2nd round, chances are both players will be contributing... as apposed to having 1 pick that would contribute.

So you're saying that if we'd stayed at #25 and #57 we'd only have ONE player that would contribute......

But now that we have #36 and #57....we'll have TWO ?!?!

Okay.

BroncoInferno
04-27-2012, 08:16 AM

Exactly. Kendricks is more versatile and dynamic than Hightower. He can rush the passer if you want him to, he can cover, plays sideline-to-sideline. His size is the only reason he's not a 1st rounder.

Rohirrim
04-27-2012, 08:16 AM
I bet they take Stephen Hill. They got bit in the ass on WR twice in the first, just missing out on Blackmon and then just missing out on Floyd. All the sports radio talk in St. Louis this morning is how they intended to get one of the two and came up just short for either. Hill is a similar upside pick as Kenny Britt, who Fisher selected in Tennessee.

But they have to protect Bradford. He's getting his ass kicked. And Stephen Jackson is getting beat up. He could use some Oline help too. Glenn would make a big difference for that offense. Sometimes you just have to go with the line, no matter how pretty those WRs look. Besides, they have two more picks in the second.

alkemical
04-27-2012, 08:17 AM
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k82/amesj523/576235_10150712538505488_4450077548.jpg

Rabb
04-27-2012, 08:17 AM
Sometimes you go with BPA regardless of need. Nick Saban, and obviously, Bill Belichick think Hightower is a damn good player. Otherwise, why trade up to get him? You can pretty much move Dont'a anywhere you want. Mixing him in with Doom and Von would have been devastating, IMHO. He's a rabid film watcher, high character, high effort guy, and smart. Who's the player the Broncos knew would slip? I'm afraid it's going to be Jenkins. I think somebody is going to trade up above us to take Worthy.

On principle I don't disagree, I was just saying why I think they passed.

Rohirrim
04-27-2012, 08:18 AM
Exactly. Kendricks is more versatile and dynamic than Hightower. He can rush the passer if you want him to, he can cover, plays sideline-to-sideline. His size is the only reason he's not a 1st rounder.

Size is a big deal, IMO. That's why you use the first rounder. The prototypes go in the first round.

BroncoInferno
04-27-2012, 08:19 AM
Size is a big deal, IMO.

It wasn't for Al, who you used as a comp earlier. 5-11, just like Kendricks.

Rohirrim
04-27-2012, 08:20 AM
It wasn't for Al, who you used as a comp earlier. 5-11, just like Kendricks.

Like I said, I was referring to character. I think Hightower will be better than Al, for precisely the reason of his size.

BroncoInferno
04-27-2012, 08:21 AM

I'm thinking Reyes over Worthy if they go DT. LaVonte David is probably in the mix too. We'll have a chance to get good value at #36.

BroncoInferno
04-27-2012, 08:25 AM
Like I said, I was referring to character. I think Hightower will be better than Al, for precisely the reason of his size.

Size, if anything, is a hindrance for LBs in todays NFL because they struggle with coverage. There were three 5000 yard passers last season. You better be able to cover somebody if you want to stay on the field and aren't a lineman or edge rusher (and, no, Hightower's 6 career sacks don't qualify him for the latter). Hightower isn't going to be running with a TE at 264.

Drek
04-27-2012, 08:36 AM
But they have to protect Bradford. He's getting his ass kicked. And Stephen Jackson is getting beat up. He could use some Oline help too. Glenn would make a big difference for that offense. Sometimes you just have to go with the line, no matter how pretty those WRs look. Besides, they have two more picks in the second.

Exactly. They have two more picks in the 2nd and Khalil, Reiff, Zeitler, and DeCastro comprise the entirety of drafted OLs. Meanwhile at WR the only guy with impact level talent left is Hill.

They didn't have a WR on their team last year who could catch a damn cold. Bradford got plenty of quality passes off only to have them dropped. They've renegotiated Justin Smith's contract, Saffold is the other OT. They gave Dahl big money last off-season and they just signed Scott Wells from Green Bay. What they really need is for everyone to understand the offensive system (McDaniels' system didn't fit the team they had) and to find a legit challenger to take Smith's job at RT. But that could be Glenn, Martin, Adams, or Massie, not to mention some other dark horses.

Fisher loves the trenches so he might go Glenn, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if they assess the value overnight and realize they can get OL help later in the 2nd but can't afford not getting Hill at this point.

Rohirrim
04-27-2012, 08:41 AM
Exactly. They have two more picks in the 2nd and Khalil, Reiff, Zeitler, and DeCastro comprise the entirety of drafted OLs. Meanwhile at WR the only guy with impact level talent left is Hill.

They didn't have a WR on their team last year who could catch a damn cold. Bradford got plenty of quality passes off only to have them dropped. They've renegotiated Justin Smith's contract, Saffold is the other OT. They gave Dahl big money last off-season and they just signed Scott Wells from Green Bay. What they really need is for everyone to understand the offensive system (McDaniels' system didn't fit the team they had) and to find a legit challenger to take Smith's job at RT. But that could be Glenn, Martin, Adams, or Massie, not to mention some other dark horses.

Fisher loves the trenches so he might go Glenn, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if they assess the value overnight and realize they can get OL help later in the 2nd but can't afford not getting Hill at this point.

If I was going the receiver route and I was picking for the Rams, I would take Fleener. He would make an awesome security blanket for Bradford. None of their current TEs are the kind of receivers who are going to help out a young QB much. Fleener would be great for that job.

I envision Hill as one of those guys who goes deep and then just stops and looks back while his QB gets sacked again. ;D

BroncoBeavis
04-27-2012, 08:46 AM

Pretty much the players from #15 deep into the 2nd round rate out about the same.

So (two 2nds) > (one 1st and one 2nd) ?

BroncoBeavis
04-27-2012, 08:49 AM
So you're saying that if we'd stayed at #25 and #57 we'd only have ONE player that would contribute......

But now that we have #36 and #57....we'll have TWO ?!?!

Okay.

Or This.

ludo21
04-27-2012, 09:06 AM
Id be fine with:
Glenn
Hill
Sanu
Ta-amu
Thompson
Lamichael James

i love the 2nd round this year

Drek
04-27-2012, 09:06 AM
If I was going the receiver route and I was picking for the Rams, I would take Fleener. He would make an awesome security blanket for Bradford. None of their current TEs are the kind of receivers who are going to help out a young QB much. Fleener would be great for that job.

I envision Hill as one of those guys who goes deep and then just stops and looks back while his QB gets sacked again. ;D

I could see the argument, but you're coming from the pessimist's view on Hill. You could have made similar criticisms of Kenny Britt coming out, Fisher still took him in round one.

Regardless, I think if St. Louis does the math they'll see that a receiving weapon is much less likely to be available at their other two 2nds while some OL help definitely will be. So if they want to give Bradford someone who can catch they need to draft him to open the evening.

ludo21
04-27-2012, 09:10 AM
Also I agree with the above about Hightower and Mays comparison.

Id love Sean Spence or Kendricks.

maven
04-27-2012, 09:12 AM
Wouldn't surprise me if the Broncos dump one of their 4th's to move up today.

gyldenlove
04-27-2012, 09:16 AM
I do like the picks, I don't think there was any player that was drafted at 25 or later that we would have picked, so we didn't miss out on any player and got a high 4th round pick to play with.

broncosteven
04-27-2012, 09:21 AM
I was hoping the Broncos would trade back before the draft. I didn't expect twice out of the 1st completely but it is obvious their guys were gone and they wanted to stock pile picks.

Now we can still get some starters and quality depth and we have a lot of options.

I would like those 4 hours back but hey how much time have I wasted here?

Kaylore
04-27-2012, 09:43 AM
I would like those 4 hours back but hey how much time have I wasted here?

This. I turned to my wife and sighed after the last trade. I was like "really?" and then turned the channel.

Chris
04-27-2012, 09:44 AM
I still enjoyed watching it despite the blue ball pain at the end.

JCMElway
04-27-2012, 10:16 AM
I thought the 2nd trade back should've been 31 for 36 and 101 ... no swapping of 4th round picks.

Um, they probably said no, and the swapping of the picks was the only way we could move down.

cmhargrove
04-27-2012, 10:17 AM
Also I agree with the above about Hightower and Mays comparison.

Id love Sean Spence or Kendricks.

I started watching film of Kendricks after his good combine numbers. He is a good tackler and when he zones in on the ball carrier, he's hits it at flying missile speed. I think he could easily play WLB and do better than DJ. By that, I mean he has the same type of athleticism, and a real nose for the ball (which DJ often lacks). He's also the high character, team leader type.

NUB
04-27-2012, 10:25 AM
Not at all. Look at the Patriots for an example of getting the players you need. Their defense was lacking from line-to-safety just like Denver's, so what did they do? They traded around and got their DE and ILB in the first round; two very talented players. Denver traded back and while there are a number of great players left, they are not at the positions of need, IMO. Denver got Peyton Manning to win games, but this team has huge holes in a lot of spots. Denver needs to be aggressive in getting its players, not sitting and hoping they come to them. The Broncos simply don't have the time for that crap anymore. It's time to be going after the immediate-impact players.

Requiem
04-27-2012, 10:28 AM
This. I turned to my wife and sighed after the last trade. I was like "really?" and then turned the channel.

I got to my friends house after getting pizza and snacks, and I told them I knew we wouldn't be picking tonight. *sigh* Lol, funny how we dealt with the Devil and I started that thread too. :)

Bronco Yoda
04-27-2012, 10:35 AM

^5

I really thought for a second DeCastro was going to actually drop to us. F*** the Steelers!

shalowlow
04-27-2012, 11:18 AM
Honestly, I always seem to give the FO the benefit of the doubt, but I really would have felt much better if we didn't give up the pats 4th rounder to trade out of 31.

I understand the concept, and I think its smart to position yourself to take 2 players between 30 and 45 versus taking 1 at 25 and one at 57, but I just would have felt better about it if he had 4 4th rounders right now.

Rolandftw
04-27-2012, 11:21 AM
I'm indifferent to it. Would have liked them to get more, but if the guy they wanted was going to be on the board at #36, glad they got an early 4th for trading down at least.

I don't think the draft was as great in the top 15-20 as last year was... but there's still quality talent in the 2nd-4th rounds. We're now in position to get a lot of that talent, or to move up to get a player or two that we really want.