PDA

View Full Version : The Hightower thread...

Taco John
04-26-2012, 10:43 PM
For all the whining about not drafting Hightower, I find myself looking for all these pre-draft posts of people calling for the guy. I haven't found a single post yet. So if you were one of the people who before the draft was calling for the guy, post a link here.

JCMElway
04-26-2012, 10:44 PM
Ed Reeeeeee-eeeeeed!!!!

houghtam
04-26-2012, 10:46 PM
Kinda dumb, considering no one thought he'd be there at 25.

If you'd have told me he'd be available at 25? Sure, I'd have said draft him. There, does that count?

Taco John
04-26-2012, 10:47 PM
Ed Reeeeeee-eeeeeed!!!!

That's the thing though - People were calling for Ed Reed before the draft (I was one of them). Ed Reed was a well known name around this place because of how many people wanted him going into the draft, and when we passed on the opportunity to get him - people were pissed. In this case, I can't find a single post of anybody wishing we got Hightower.

Chris
04-26-2012, 10:49 PM
I've seen a good number of pro hightower posts, but he certainly wasn't one of this year's mane darlings (those honours go to Konz, Worthy and Kirkpatrick).

Agamemnon
04-26-2012, 10:49 PM
I never really saw him as a good fit in a 4-3, so that part of the trade doesn't matter to me. It's simply about being raped on value. Nothing more.

Taco John
04-26-2012, 10:50 PM
Kinda dumb, considering no one thought he'd be there at 25.

If you'd have told me he'd be available at 25? Sure, I'd have said draft him. There, does that count?

There are dozens of drafts that have Hightower falling into the second round.

Bacchus
04-26-2012, 10:51 PM
He is a 3-4 LBer. Everyone thought the Steelers would get him because they run a 3-4. The Pats traded up for him they run a 3-4. He does not fit Denver's 4-3. It's not that hard to figure out.

Killericon
04-26-2012, 10:52 PM
Still and Worthy are still on the board, so I'm happy.

Mogulseeker
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=103975&highlight=hightower&page=3

I said we should take Hightower at 25 if we signed Manning.

HighCountryBronco
For all the whining about not drafting Hightower, I find myself looking for all these pre-draft posts of people calling for the guy. I haven't found a single post yet. So if you were one of the people who before the draft was calling for the guy, post a link here.

I would post the link, but i don't know how. All i can say is that it hurts to think about how awesome it would have been to see him in orange and blue and how bad it is that we traded that pick to NE. Thought we were trying to close the gap on them. I gotta feeling we really missed out not drafting him at 25.

houghtam
04-26-2012, 10:54 PM
Here's one I found, not sure if this was what you're looking for:

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?p=3566245#post3566245

Archer81
04-26-2012, 10:55 PM
Still on the Fleener train. Until Indi or Balt or St Louiee prove me wrong.

:Broncos:

outdoor_miner
04-26-2012, 10:55 PM
There are dozens of drafts that have Hightower falling into the second round.

This. Almost every mock I saw had him in late first (usually to Pitt or Baltimore).

Jekyll15Hyde
04-26-2012, 10:56 PM
I was definitely one of them.... I held out hope but I kinda knew inside once we signed Joe 'idiot cannonball' Mays back for the $$ we did, Hightower wasn't gonna be our guy.
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?p=3540603#post3540603
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?p=3539638#post3539638
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpost.php?p=3466992&postcount=95

I know I had a few more

broncocalijohn
04-26-2012, 10:56 PM
If pricejj didnt mention him, no one mentioned him. Simple fact.

Taco John
04-26-2012, 10:57 PM
Here's one I found, not sure if this was what you're looking for:

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?p=3566245#post3566245

Not really.

houghtam
04-26-2012, 10:58 PM

Man I wish we could have drafted JarKenDonta CriJoTower!!

DBroncos4life
04-26-2012, 10:59 PM

Can't bump deleted.

broncocalijohn
04-26-2012, 11:03 PM
Can't bump deleted.

He is the anti Bronco Rob. Rob used to never kill his threads by bumping them for no good reason. Price kills his threads to leave no evidence.

Agamemnon
04-26-2012, 11:03 PM
Still and Worthy are still on the board, so I'm happy.

Get back to me on that when EFX doesn't pick them...

houghtam
04-26-2012, 11:04 PM
Not really.

Screw it, I'm gonna go ahead and say I was for drafting Hightower. If you'd told me before today he would have been available at 25 I'd have said take him. The post I made demonstrates at the very least I wanted him.

DBroncos4life
04-26-2012, 11:07 PM
He is the anti Bronco Rob. Rob used to never kill his threads by bumping them for no good reason. Price kills his threads to leave no evidence.
With good reason.

Broncos_OTM
04-26-2012, 11:09 PM
Bmore manning... wanted him,why I don't know

v2micca
04-27-2012, 04:48 AM
I never really saw him as a good fit in a 4-3, so that part of the trade doesn't matter to me. It's simply about being raped on value. Nothing more.

God, I really hate having to agree with you, but I was also less than pleased at the value we received for trading out of the first round. In the end, if we pick up quality players that can contribute quickly, that is all that matters. But, this was not the most reassuring start.

ol#7
04-27-2012, 04:56 AM
I try not to fall in love with College prospects, never thought we had a chance at him as I thought he would go higher, but would have loved to have him on our LB core. Remember when we used to be smart (and good) and loaded up on LB'ers and DL? Pryce/Wilson were luxury picks.

The one thing I dont get is everyone who falls in love with late round draft picks. You can find a ton of posts on here where people where falling all over themselves last year that we drafted Jeremy Beal.

Hulamau
04-27-2012, 05:17 AM
Man I wish we could have drafted JarKenDonta CriJoTower!!

And there in lies the real issue, Its impossible to please most of the people when drafting at 25 .. unless your Belichek or Newsome it seems.

I supported possibly drafting Donta .. assuming he got past the Steelers which he did. But I also voted for a couple others like Dre K and Doug Martin although only Martin was available to us ... twice at that at 25 and 31. . So both our staff and the

Its interesting he did get past the Steelers too when they dropped Farrior in the offseason so both our FO and the Steelers as well as a buch of other teams passed on Donta when they had the chance.

I heard an analysis on Sirius NFL radio the other day of him where the two commentators talked about his plusses but both took a pass on drafting him in the first due to obvious hustle issues that were clear on game tape.

They said he simply doesnt often run sideline to sideline as he should for a guuy who is a motivated playuer at this leve and worthy of a first round pick. THey asaid maybe he can find the drive if taken by a good team with strong leaders but they both saw his game tapes as too big a red flag to pull the trigger on him in the first.

SO perhaps that is why we passed. Let s first see who we do come up with before burning the FO at the stake as half the board is wont to do after nearly every draft ,,,, except last year when we had the luxury of taking our pick of the liter.

We still have a decent chance to come out of this with a solid draft so why not give FX the benefit of the doubt for another 24 hours at least. :-)

After all these are the same guys who drafted Von and landed the biggest FA in NFL history last month ... Id call it the height of hissy fit panic those who are calling for EFX to be fired over the presumption they screwed the draft before taking our first player!

jhns
04-27-2012, 06:34 AM
I would have liked him. I'm not mad that we didn't get him though. I don't think this team is looking for LB at this point. I think we need a middle, but they signed Mays to a good contract. They don't seem to agree that it is a big need. I could see them bringing in a OLB to help while DJ is suspended.

Elway 4 Life
04-27-2012, 06:53 AM
Why draft Hightower? He's a bigger version of Mays. He isn't a 3 down linebacker. He's slow and can't cover. He's a beast in the box but that's it. Better value at 25 imo.

gunns
04-27-2012, 06:54 AM
I've only fallen in love with one draft prospect in quite awhile, Suh. I think I fall more in love with the position to be drafted. I am still absolutely estatic over last years first round pick and a lot of teams haven't been able to say that in a long time. The draft is luck. Hoping your assessment is correct for the transition to the NFL. I just can't find much to complain about when there hasn't been a pick.

v2micca
04-27-2012, 06:58 AM
Why draft Hightower? He's a bigger version of Mays. He isn't a 3 down linebacker. He's slow and can't cover. He's a beast in the box but that's it. Better value at 25 imo.

I don't think very many people are upset over the Broncos Passing on Hightower. I don't even think most fans are upset over us trading out of the 1st round once the premier DTs were all gone. People are upset that when it was all said and done, we dropped 11 spots and only got a high 4th rounder out of it. It may not affect our draft too much in the long run. But, it doesn't generate that much confidence going into day 2.

bronco militia
04-27-2012, 07:04 AM
I don't think very many people are upset over the Broncos Passing on Hightower. I don't even think most fans are upset over us trading out of the 1st round once the premier DTs were all gone. People are upset that when it was all said and done, we dropped 11 spots and only got a high 4th rounder out of it. It may not affect our draft too much in the long run. But, it doesn't generate that much confidence going into day 2.

this^.

Elway 4 Life
04-27-2012, 07:06 AM

Personally I'm ok with the trade with NE, they didn't have a 3rd and it was the best deal we were offered. What bothered me was the TB trade. Why swap 4th's? We should have just gotten there 4th and they move up. Piss poor move imo. We could have had 4 4th rd picks. Hopefully the FO does some great things. Holding my breath...........

TonyR
04-27-2012, 07:17 AM
If they didn't give Mays that terrible contract they probably would have considered Hightower. But they did, so they didn't.

GreatBronco16
04-27-2012, 07:59 AM
I'm not going to go back and see if I made a post about it, but being a Bama fan, I wanted him on the Broncos. I didn't think he was still going to be there at our pick, but when he was, and Denver traded out of it, I was kinda sad.

But time goes on, lets see what Denver does the rest of the way out.

Taco John
04-27-2012, 08:08 AM
If they didn't give Mays that terrible contract they probably would have considered Hightower. But they did, so they didn't.

Do you believe that Hightower would have been an upgrade over Mays?

Bmore Manning
04-27-2012, 08:12 AM
Bmore manning... wanted him,why I don't know

He's an absolute monster. He's a vast upgrade over Joe Mays, he has versatility to play DE as he did in Alabama. I would have preferred Denver drafted him then just gaining a 4th rounder.

He is so much better in coverage then given credit for. He can pass rush at DE or Sam with Miller at the other and Ayers at UT. These are the exact words I said two days ago with another poster. Hightower would not be a two down player only. He also is a leader, I was hoping for he or DeCastro when Detroit was on the clock.

And to clarify I did no mock draft with him, I just said he would represent a great value pick as I thought Cox, Brockers, Poe would all be gone. I also would have advocated for a CB if one fell. I'm mad at the lack if value from the trades but not at actually trading down.

BroncoBen
04-27-2012, 08:13 AM

For me this is not a big deal, Hightower is a 3-4 linebacker.. could be good against the run but a liability with the pass. He fits the mold of being a Steeler, and that is who I thought would make a bigger play for him.

Taco John
04-27-2012, 08:15 AM
For me this is not a big deal, Hightower is a 3-4 linebacker.. could be good against the run but a liability with the pass. He fits the mold of being a Steeler, and that is who I thought would make a bigger play for him.

Most drafts that I saw had him either going to the Steelers at 24, or dropping into the second round.

Darkhawk24
04-27-2012, 08:22 AM
Most drafts that I saw had him either going to the Steelers at 24, or dropping into the second round.

I think Hightower made a lot of sense for PIT or NE. I'm not sure taking him at 25 is any more value for the Broncos then who is still available early in the second.

Rohirrim
04-27-2012, 08:27 AM
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpost.php?p=3560252&postcount=24

The only reason I switched to Worthy is because, as the time went by, I began to assume that Hightower would be gone.

Tombstone RJ
04-27-2012, 08:29 AM
He is a 3-4 LBer. Everyone thought the Steelers would get him because they run a 3-4. The Pats traded up for him they run a 3-4. He does not fit Denver's 4-3. It's not that hard to figure out.

This, Hightower is the classic 3-4 LBer that Belichick loves. He's a big guy, tall. He's the prototypical Belichick 3-4 LBer.

Rohirrim
04-27-2012, 08:33 AM
This, Hightower is the classic 3-4 LBer that Belichick loves. He's a big guy, tall. He's the prototypical Belichick 3-4 LBer.

I think versatility is becoming more prominent in the league. Hightower is one of the more versatile players out there.

Kaylore
04-27-2012, 08:35 AM

You and your sense-making can just leave!!!!

TonyR
04-27-2012, 08:53 AM
Do you believe that Hightower would have been an upgrade over Mays?

Good question. To be clear, I'm not critical of the team for passing on Hightower. I do, however, feel that we overpaid Mays and would have been fine letting Irving and Hightower battle for the position and used Mays' money on something else. But that's all water under the bridge.

Tombstone RJ
04-27-2012, 08:58 AM
Good question. To be clear, I'm not critical of the team for passing on Hightower. I do, however, feel that we overpaid Mays and would have been fine letting Irving and Hightower battle for the position and used Mays' money on something else. But that's all water under the bridge.

There's some good LBers still available and definitley some very fast ones still available.

TonyR
04-27-2012, 09:03 AM
And just the fact that the Ravens were interested in Hightower (Peter King reporting that's who they were after) tells me most of what I need to know about him as a prospect.

houghtam
04-27-2012, 09:20 AM
And just the fact that the Ravens were interested in Hightower (Peter King reporting that's who they were after) tells me most of what I need to know about him as a prospect.

Winner of the "Most Likely to be on the Other End of that Shiv in your Ribs" Award?

TonyR
04-27-2012, 09:22 AM
Winner of the "Most Likely to be on the Other End of that Shiv in your Ribs" Award?

^ I have to confess, you lost me with this one...

Broncos_OTM
04-27-2012, 09:27 AM
I don't understand new England's philosophy. they must not like Brandon spikes or feel he can't play SILB.or their going to utilize Hightower at SOLB

Rohirrim
04-27-2012, 09:30 AM
You and your sense-making can just leave!!!!

Funny. Except that Hightower played ILB at Alabama.

Here's another funny thing; People around here complain so much about Mays whiffing on tackles. Hightower doesn't whiff on tackles. He dominates. Some say better than Kuechly.

iforgotmypassword
04-27-2012, 10:46 AM

here's mine....

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=103342&highlight=hightower

I'm not crying about trading back, I like it. Not thrilled with the return we got (for good reason) and I'll be reeeeal torqued off if we select Osweiler at 36. (and I'm from Montana, I'm supposed to love the home-state kids) 36 is just way to high to draft a back-up quarterback.

Give me Konz or Hill at 36.

CEH
04-27-2012, 10:53 AM
I don't understand new England's philosophy. they must not like Brandon spikes or feel he can't play SILB.or their going to utilize Hightower at SOLB

No they are moving Mayo outside .

DBroncos4life
04-27-2012, 11:06 AM
No they are moving Mayo outside .

On the depth chart Mayo is on the outside during the 4-3 and Spikes in the middle. During the 3-4 Mayo is inside and Fletcher is is in the middle. Spikes isn't even listed in the 3-4.

Mayo doesn't seem like that great of a OLB in a 3-4 IMO. Not much of a pass rushing threat at all.

orinjkrush
04-27-2012, 11:17 AM
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpost.php?p=3560252&postcount=24

The only reason I switched to Worthy is because, as the time went by, I began to assume that Hightower would be gone.

me two

BroncoBuff
04-27-2012, 12:30 PM
Me three ... fingers crossed for Worthy.

But I do love the idea of a real leader like Hightower:

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?p=3466972&highlight=hightower#post3466972