PDA

View Full Version : OT-Coaching HS Football

phibacka31
04-26-2012, 10:59 AM
I am 90% sure I will be taking over as D-coordinator for the high school I went to. I am trying to build an expansive collection of formations/blitz packages/coverages/etc. I have a pretty good knowledge on defense and it's what I want to be coaching, but I'd love any of your opinions, too! I would appreciate any and all info you have. Maybe books and or DVDs that you think are great.
Thanks in advance!!!
:strong:

illbroncsfn
04-26-2012, 11:07 AM
What front are you looking to run?

Decatur- where are you looking to coach at ?

phibacka31
04-26-2012, 11:15 AM
I need to update my location. I went to Millikin University, but I'm now back home in Iowa.

I'm thinking the 4-3 defense...I don't think the 3-4 is practical for our size school. Maybe the 4-4 front.

razorwire77
04-26-2012, 11:51 AM
In my humble opinion a lot of the defense you install for a high school team is dictated by how good the athletes you have are, and how good the teams you will be playing are.

If you are setting up a defense for a 5A school who will be facing D-I and D-II caliber kids, and spread option offenses where they throw the ball 20 or 30 times per gane, that is entirely different that setting up a defense for a 2A school where the offensive lineman are 200 pounds.

If you have small guys and are coaching at a lower level of high school I like the blitz packages and a 4-4 stack front. However if you are playing teams with 280 pound lineman, a QB with 4.6 speed and a live arm, it probably wouldn't work. If you scroll down they have some of the blitz packages out of a 4-4 stack.

http://www.fbforyouth.com/4-4stack.html

phibacka31
04-26-2012, 12:01 PM
Precisely...

2A Iowa football. Small school.

broncosteven
04-26-2012, 12:07 PM
The only thing I can offer up is to remember that it is about the kids and the life lessons they can apply to working together as a team. Make your 1st priority to do right by them all.

razorwire77
04-26-2012, 12:08 PM
Depending on the region of the country, a lot of small schools still run triple option and sometimes even single wing offenses with a lot of pulling and misdirection. If this is the case for the teams your school is facing, a 4-4 is usually set up to be assignment football and works well in defending basic run-oriented offenses.

phibacka31
04-26-2012, 12:11 PM
The only thing I can offer up is to remember that it is about the kids and the life lessons they can apply to working together as a team. Make your 1st priority to do right by them all.

That's why I'm getting into it. I'm already the head coach for the high school golf team and will be doing football and basketball also next year.

Broncoman13
04-26-2012, 12:21 PM
I am 90% sure I will be taking over as D-coordinator for the high school I went to. I am trying to build an expansive collection of formations/blitz packages/coverages/etc. I have a pretty good knowledge on defense and it's what I want to be coaching, but I'd love any of your opinions, too! I would appreciate any and all info you have. Maybe books and or DVDs that you think are great.
Thanks in advance!!!
:strong:

Not to derail what you're trying to do, but give some consideration to the KISS theory. The last thing you want is missed assignments by one or several players. In my experience, your time is better spent working on execution. The old Quality not Quantity philosophy.

That being said. We named our coverages and positions by predators. Middle LB was always the Bulldog. Safety was Eagle. Blitzes and coverages were called using these monikers. This allowed the players to easily identify their responsibilities when it was time to bring the heat or time to drop into zone coverage. Of course the plays were installed during the week so that everyone knew their gap fits for any blitzes as well as zones for coverages... especially on the Bulldog Blitz. Our MLB was our best player and he generally had the freedom to blitz any gap as the play developed (when the blitz was called), but the rest of the players had to know how to cover his space when he went. Very simple concept that allowed us to play pretty fast and with the amount of teams that were running at that time, we did a lot of blitzing. Lots of focus on DEs maintaining responsibility and not letting anyone outside. But that too is pretty basic.

I'll never forget a camp I went to at UT when I was younger. The coach that was drilling us said you don't have to be pretty, you just have to be consistent. At the time I took that to mean that I could be sloppy as long as I consistently made the play. Several years later I started to understand that he was actually preaching KISS. No tricks necessary, just do what you do really well and execute each and every time.

razorwire77
04-26-2012, 12:41 PM
Not to derail what you're trying to do, but give some consideration to the KISS theory. The last thing you want is missed assignments by one or several players. In my experience, your time is better spent working on execution. The old Quality not Quantity philosophy.

That being said. We named our coverages and positions by predators. Middle LB was always the Bulldog. Safety was Eagle. Blitzes and coverages were called using these monikers. This allowed the players to easily identify their responsibilities when it was time to bring the heat or time to drop into zone coverage. Of course the plays were installed during the week so that everyone knew their gap fits for any blitzes as well as zones for coverages... especially on the Bulldog Blitz. Our MLB was our best player and he generally had the freedom to blitz any gap as the play developed (when the blitz was called), but the rest of the players had to know how to cover his space when he went. Very simple concept that allowed us to play pretty fast and with the amount of teams that were running at that time, we did a lot of blitzing. Lots of focus on DEs maintaining responsibility and not letting anyone outside. But that too is pretty basic.

I'll never forget a camp I went to at UT when I was younger. The coach that was drilling us said you don't have to be pretty, you just have to be consistent. At the time I took that to mean that I could be sloppy as long as I consistently made the play. Several years later I started to understand that he was actually preaching KISS. No tricks necessary, just do what you do really well and execute each and every time.

I think this is really good advice all around. Keep assignments basic. Keep terminology simple. Using animal terminology and Rico for right Lucy for left etc. helps to simply the offense, especially if you are implementing a new system.

If you encounter teams who are running full house backfields or a lot of wish bone, flex bone etc., teach the kids to tackle their assignments not the ball.
Hell, that's one of the basic reasons why Tim Tebow went ape**** against Oakland on the ground last year. No concept of how to defend basic option assignment football.

DE contain is really important in lower levels of high school football. Make sure you have decent athletes so kids with speed can't simply catch an edge off of a basic end-around, lightning pitch etc. and go 70 yards.

And like the other posters mentioned. Teach fundamentals, pride, team ownership and respect. The rest should all fall into place.

Good luck.

ludo21
04-26-2012, 12:46 PM
4-4 is great for hs ball since most teams run like crazy

cmhargrove
04-26-2012, 01:06 PM
In my humble opinion a lot of the defense you install for a high school team is dictated by how good the athletes you have are, and how good the teams you will be playing are.

If you are setting up a defense for a 5A school who will be facing D-I and D-II caliber kids, and spread option offenses where they throw the ball 20 or 30 times per gane, that is entirely different that setting up a defense for a 2A school where the offensive lineman are 200 pounds.

If you have small guys and are coaching at a lower level of high school I like the blitz packages and a 4-4 stack front. However if you are playing teams with 280 pound lineman, a QB with 4.6 speed and a live arm, it probably wouldn't work. If you scroll down they have some of the blitz packages out of a 4-4 stack.

http://www.fbforyouth.com/4-4stack.html

I coach offense, not defense, but I still tell everyone that my job is 70% recruiting, and the other 30% is coaching well enough not to get in they way of their natural talents. However, some schemes are usually dictated by your talent level.

If you have good talent at Safety, the 50 front is really adaptable. it allows you to focus on shutting down the run early, gives you a place for "edge rushers" to impact the game, and generally forces the offense into bad down/distance situations. If you have good OLB/DE's, it basically works as a 3-4 in zone coverage and is pretty effective against spread offenses. My experience is that good Safety play always makes the difference, because your corners can get easily exposed/tricked vs. the edge run game.

You can make lots of schemes work based on your talent level, we just had some pretty good luck with a 50 front because it allowed us to hide the fact that we didn't have dominant DT's, and we also utilized our "stud" OLB/DE in lots of blitzes, and he was able to change the course of the game for us.

Drunk Monkey
04-26-2012, 01:11 PM
We ran a 5-2. Which usually went to a 4-3 unless the O went double tight (if you were the weak side end you dropped back off the line into the flat). As a previous poster said the number 1 responsibility of the DE was contain.

illbroncsfn
04-26-2012, 01:27 PM
Good advice out there. I have run 50 fronts, 40 fronts, and 3-3-5 in the past. The defense has always changed to meet the personnel available. The toughest D's I have fielded have been blue-collar 50 fronts w/2nd and 3rd string RB's as the NT, consistently slanting/stunting according to formations and creating havoc for many teams.

If you have an athletic but not so intelligent group, 4-4 is the way to go as the coverages stay pretty simplistic...

broncosteven
04-26-2012, 02:45 PM

Is it wrong that when I read the word Predator I thought of Nate Webster 1st?

uk bronco
04-26-2012, 04:57 PM
I'm an OC and the 3-3-5 or 3-5-3 D has really taken off over here in the UK where football is largely run first and i find it the most difficult front to scheme against.It gives you great blitz options and wide dogs keeping contain. Luckily our DC loves it and runs it sowe get to practice against it a lot. If you want i know he has collated a ton of 335 353 playbooks let me know and i can email them to you.

KipCorrington25
04-26-2012, 06:01 PM
If you need a QB coach Ben McDaniels is probably available.

phibacka31
05-01-2012, 10:49 AM
Thanks for all of the response! I greatly appreciate all of the responses! If any of you have any more detailed info I can pm you my e-mail, so you could send me the info that way! Thanks again!

Binkythefrog
05-01-2012, 02:20 PM
I think its really admirable the coaching you are doing.

Team sports was such an important part of my childhood growing up, learning life lessons and all of the social aspects that go with being part of a team.

I still remember all of my coaches from growing up.

extralife
05-01-2012, 04:30 PM
something tells me "an expansive collection of formations/blitz packages/coverages/etc." isn't exactly a great fit for 2A HS football. your job isn't to make a name for yourself.

ward63
05-01-2012, 05:28 PM
In high school, it is best to have things simplified. Trying to create a complex defense like dropping a lineman into coverage or something like that would not be a great idea. You can still have twists and dog blitzes, but the easier it is to understand, the better it is. Especially when you have a small school and a limited amount of kids to play. A key thing to remember is...blitz.

barryr
05-01-2012, 07:18 PM
Depending on what kind of talent you have and what the players can handle, something easy to understand is the way to go. But I do like the 3-4 defense in that you disguise which players are coming on blitzes and confuse the OL on who to block, backed up with some sort of zone coverage. But again, you may have to make adjustments as you go to see what your players can handle and understand.

broncocalijohn
05-01-2012, 07:54 PM
Good luck and if you are hiring, there is this one guy that went to Canton HS and he was a baller. He might be looking for a job soon.

broncocalijohn
05-01-2012, 07:55 PM
Thanks for all of the response! I greatly appreciate all of the responses! If any of you have any more detailed info I can pm you my e-mail, so you could send me the info that way! Thanks again!

Do yourself a favor and do not mention you got some killer new plays from the internet pro football fan site.

Vegas_Bronco
05-01-2012, 08:04 PM
We use to have an earlyactivity summer passing scale practices prior to the season 7 on 7 where our offense and defense would run plays against one another and you got 300+ extra reps at your position to start the season. This greatly increased our qb to wr chemistry and our safeties were ridiculous in coverage usually grabbing 7-8 ints a year. These were not coached practices...just player only workouts that helped everyone get better.