PDA

View Full Version : Pro Bowl game likely to be stopped

BroncoInferno
04-26-2012, 07:25 AM
I don't know that I've ever watched more than a few minutes of a Pro Bowl anyway.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7857508/nfl-moving-suspend-pro-bowl-sources-say

BroncsRule
04-26-2012, 07:32 AM
I watched the whole first half of the '99 game - 7 of 11 starters were Broncos. I've probably watched a combined 10 minutes or so since.

Rohirrim
04-26-2012, 08:09 AM
Nobody even bothers to post on the thread.

That says it all right there.

2KBack
04-26-2012, 08:30 AM
I enjoy all the other festivities involved in the pro-bowl a lot. I like the skills competitions and such. I think its a great way to cap the season. I could take or leave the game. As games go I tend to prefer the retired all star flag football game they hold.

55CrushEm
04-26-2012, 08:31 AM
Good. For being the greatest sport in the world.....the NFL has the worst all-star game.....

DENVERDUI55
04-26-2012, 09:04 AM
About time. They should vote them in then give them a free trip to Vegas to binge on booze, broads and gambling. The stories from that would be much more entertaining.

Garcia Bronco
04-26-2012, 09:11 AM
About time. They should vote them in then give them a free trip to Vegas to binge on booze, broads and gambling. The stories from that would be much more entertaining.

If it was in Vegas, I might actially go to the game.

cousinal11
04-26-2012, 09:12 AM

Agree.

I enjoy the MLB All Star game because of the competitiveness for home field in the Series. I usually watch the NBA All-Star game's first few minutes for the highlights then flip it back at the end if it's close. As for the Pro-Bowl, I don't remember ever watching more than 1 series before losing interest.

Now if they played it during training camp the following year when the world is dying to watch football, I would tailgate and watch every play. Unfortunately, that will never happen.

ScottXray
04-26-2012, 09:25 AM
The last game was not only not good to watch, it was a disaster. The players didn't put any effort forth and it was a public relations fail. Moving the game to the week before the superbowl means many of the best players won't participate, and those that did forgot that the fans are the ones who pay for the games, especially this one.

That is the reason the NFL is considering this. To motivate the players.

They should move it back to the week after the superbowl, and instruct the players that they are representing their teams, and the NFL, and must take it somewhat seriously.

StugotsIII
04-26-2012, 09:30 AM
****!!!

My annual Pro Bowl party will be locked down.

Bad move...

ludo21
04-26-2012, 09:32 AM
I enjoy all the other festivities involved in the pro-bowl a lot. I like the skills competitions and such. I think its a great way to cap the season. I could take or leave the game. As games go I tend to prefer the retired all star flag football game they hold.

Agreed they should do a better job showcasing the skill challenges vs the actual crapfest of a game.

Taco John
04-26-2012, 09:52 AM
I'd rather see a QB challenge or some other sort of skills contest - and make it in May.

gyldenlove
04-26-2012, 10:06 AM
The pro-bowl is just a poor excuse for NFL execs to go play golf for a week in Hawaii, as a football related event it has no purpose.

razorwire77
04-26-2012, 10:21 AM
Good. Between the 30 percent game speed, the Tweeting from the sidelines and the half speed route running it was complete garbage.

Bring back skills competitions (40 yard race, tug-o-war, bench contest, distance throw etc.)

Beantown Bronco
04-26-2012, 11:19 AM
****!!!

My annual Pro Bowl party will be locked down.

Bad move...

:)

Just find a bootleg copy of last year's game and pop it in. The rosters vary so little from year to year, I guarantee none of your guests would notice.

Agamemnon
04-26-2012, 11:24 AM
And not a single **** was given...

BroncoDoug
04-26-2012, 11:36 AM
An interesting part of the article is they mention is the NFL is still considering naming the pro bowl players for just recognition purposes. And are going to encourage contracts to have pro bowl incentives... But it seems once the game is actualy played so many players have dropped out, that they are on the 2nd and 3rd alternates are playing. So would they still get the bonuses like they do now?

BigPlayShay
04-26-2012, 12:59 PM
An interesting part of the article is they mention is the NFL is still considering naming the pro bowl players for just recognition purposes. And are going to encourage contracts to have pro bowl incentives... But it seems once the game is actualy played so many players have dropped out, that they are on the 2nd and 3rd alternates are playing. So would they still get the bonuses like they do now?

My guess is that they cancel the game, but tie pro bowl awards into the ap awards show that they televised this year.

Tombstone RJ
04-26-2012, 01:04 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MBfYQOSSPqc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

broncosteven
04-26-2012, 01:04 PM
I'd rather see a QB challenge or some other sort of skills contest - and make it in May.

I agree. Battle of the Network Stars! Nothing like pairing up Farrah Fawcet to run an obstacle course with Randy White.

Broncos_OTM
04-26-2012, 04:49 PM
bummer I hope they somehow replace it with something

broncolife
04-26-2012, 04:59 PM
Good, the last pro bowl was a joke. I use to like to watch it back when Elway and Atwater were in it. I also use to like the skills competions. Didnt they have some flag football game with the rookies?

Atwater His Ass
04-26-2012, 06:18 PM
Too much money involved to have the prime players playing and risking injury in this thing anyway, hence the 10% game speed and deals made between players not to jack each other up.

Moving this to fill the gap between the championship round and the super bowl was a death sentence as well. Between the players being worn out at the end of a long season, and the two conference champs not participating, could they have picked a worse time for this?

Lastly, anything that the fans are allowed to vote on is just a joke anyway. Just get rid of the pro bowl status and move on. It really has zero meaning and doesn't really work with the way it's setup in the NFL anyway.

Pick Six
04-26-2012, 10:08 PM
It's a bargaining chip. Players can say they were PRO BOWLERS...oooooo...