PDA

View Full Version : Broncos have talked to Jags about trading up to #7

Denver724
04-25-2012, 04:47 PM
From Shawn Zobel's Twitter Feed

ShawnZobel_DHQ: Report: Denver Broncos have talked with Jacksonville Jaguars about trading up to No. 7 overall to select South Carolina CB Stephon Gilmore.

Taco John
04-25-2012, 04:49 PM
Sploosh!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HC1NqZvY_lA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Taco John
04-25-2012, 04:50 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RP_NOuHMhsw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

cousinal11
Interesting, is it a bluff?

Smiling Assassin27
http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/068/894/cool-story-bro-house-Cool-Story-Bro.jpg

Taco John
04-25-2012, 04:52 PM
About the only thing that would piss me off in this draft would be drafting Brandon Weeden in either the first or second rounds.

SonOfLe-loLang
04-25-2012, 04:53 PM
The meltdown would be epic

BroncoBeavis
04-25-2012, 04:57 PM
About the only thing that would piss me off in this draft would be drafting Brandon Weeden in either the first or second rounds.

Just wait 'til the Rev downs a couple of Scotch Nazis and starts talking smack. Then you'll change your mind. :)

Taco John
04-25-2012, 04:57 PM
This would be a good answer for the increasing trend towards tight ends. Gilmore would give us someone to put up against the Gronks, Hernandez, etc. of the league. I personally think Kirk would be a better value and give us the same thing. Not sure what the front office might know that would make them want to jump to the top ten for Gilmore.

SonOfLe-loLang
04-25-2012, 04:58 PM
This would be a good answer for the increasing trend towards tight ends. Gilmore would give us someone to put up against the Gronks, Hernandez, etc. of the league.

So would George Iloka and we wouldnt have to trade the entire draft for him.

shalowlow
04-25-2012, 04:58 PM
Perhaps they've asked what it would cost, but I can't imagine moving up that far for any player in this draft tbh...

razorwire77
04-25-2012, 04:59 PM
No knock to Gilmore. I think he's a nice player, but if this team moves up that far to draft a CB and Fletcher Cox is still sitting there I will find a mentally retarded puppy and kick it.

Taco John
04-25-2012, 05:00 PM
Just wait 'til the Rev downs a couple of Scotch Nazis and starts talking smack. Then you'll change your mind. :)

Rev knows his defensive personnel. I definitely trust his instincts when it comes to CBs (though I still think the front office made the right decision last year to grab Von Miller over Patrick Peterson).

Drunken.Broncoholic
04-25-2012, 05:05 PM
No knock to Gilmore. I think he's a nice player, but if this team moves up that far to draft a CB and Fletcher Cox is still sitting there I will find a mentally retarded puppy and kick it.

I wouldn't get into puppy abuse, but if fletcher cox is there and it's Gilmore I would send a beer straight through the wall.

27atwater
04-25-2012, 05:06 PM
Lammey is still saying that Kirkpatrick IS the pick if he's there at 25. NOt a huge surprise that they'd be interested in a CB.

ludo21
04-25-2012, 05:11 PM
blah at kirkpatrick

Br0nc0Buster
04-25-2012, 05:13 PM
smokescreen

they are prolly trading up for Burfict

peacepipe
04-25-2012, 05:14 PM
I wouldn't be bothered cause I believe CBs can have more of immediate impact in their 1st yr then do DTs. lets face it none of the DTs comming out in this draft suh or marcel darius type of talent. I am just alittle weary of what we would have to give up.

DBroncos4life
04-25-2012, 05:16 PM
smokescreen

You can never have enough two down LBs with zero coverage skills on your roster now days.

Drunken.Broncoholic
04-25-2012, 05:16 PM
I wouldn't be bothered cause I believe CBs can have more of immediate impact in their 1st yr then do DTs. lets face it none of the DTs comming out in this draft aren't exactly suh or marcel darius. I am just alittle weary of what we would have to give up.

I wouldn't be mad if it was a CB but that high for Gilmore? Seems like its reaching when there are others with more talent at that pick. And it would have to be a lot of ammo given up, like this years 1st and next years.

hookemhess
04-25-2012, 05:17 PM
Rev knows his defensive personnel. I definitely trust his instincts when it comes to CBs (though I still think the front office made the right decision last year to grab Von Miller over Patrick Peterson).

He's still in complete denial about that dumb take. And I'm guessing he'll be in here in the next couple hours to defend it.

Shananahan
04-25-2012, 05:19 PM
I wouldn't be mad if it was a CB but that high for Gilmore?
I could channel my fury into a positive response to Gilmore over Cox at seven if that were our original slot. Trading up to take him that high would turn my entire stomach into an ulcer.

peacepipe
04-25-2012, 05:19 PM
for all we know a trade agreement is in place on the condition that if a certain player is there the trade happens.

Lestat
04-25-2012, 05:22 PM
i do not like trading up that high unless it's for Cox or Richardson. maybe even Kuechly.
but to go up that high to grab Gilmore is bad value. i know he's surged up draft boards but that's #25, our 2nd, a 4th and likely some picks into next year if not our first next year.
he better start from day 1 and be close to DROY for that type of package.

peacepipe
04-25-2012, 05:24 PM
I wouldn't be mad if it was a CB but that high for Gilmore? Seems like its reaching when there are others with more talent at that pick. And it would have to be a lot of ammo given up, like this years 1st and next years. a couple mocks i've seen have him going top ten one has him spacificly going to the jags at #7.

Taco John
04-25-2012, 05:25 PM
So would George Iloka and we wouldnt have to trade the entire draft for him.

I don't personally have a lot of confidence in 6-4 players in the secondary. Past about 6-3, and I feel like they become a liability due to hip transitioning. He looked ok in the Mountain West, but if he was such a great prospect, why wasn't he playing in the SEC?

Lenny Walls pretty well spoiled the idea of having anyone over 6-3 in the secondary for me. I personally think it's a bad fit. Too gangly. It's amazing to me how much an inch difference makes here. Dennis Smith was 6-3, and no one could call him gangly. But Lenny Walls and Iloka both look spindly.

cutthemdown
04-25-2012, 05:27 PM
This would be a good answer for the increasing trend towards tight ends. Gilmore would give us someone to put up against the Gronks, Hernandez, etc. of the league. I personally think Kirk would be a better value and give us the same thing. Not sure what the front office might know that would make them want to jump to the top ten for Gilmore.

Generally CB have to have the quick hips and speed to burn in order to be good. I know nothing about this kid but the really good CB usually go pretty high in the draft.

cutthemdown
04-25-2012, 05:28 PM
a couple mocks i've seen have him going top ten one has him spacificly going to the jags at #7.

Yep he seems top 12 in most mock drafts.

Drunken.Broncoholic
04-25-2012, 05:28 PM
a couple mocks i've seen have him going top ten one has him spacificly going to the jags at #7.

Ya I should've used my words different. I meant trading up that high as opposed to already being at number 7 like shanahan said. Means more is given up for him.

Taco John
04-25-2012, 05:29 PM
Here is a "highlight" video which shows Iloka's "smooth" moves...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vpDoLVHhZbg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

crush17
04-25-2012, 05:29 PM
I like Iloka for use against TEs, not sure about outside.

SonOfLe-loLang
04-25-2012, 05:30 PM
I don't personally have a lot of confidence in 6-4 players in the secondary. Past about 6-3, and I feel like they become a liability due to hip transitioning. He looked ok in the Mountain West, but if he was such a great prospect, why wasn't he playing in the SEC?

Lenny Walls pretty well spoiled the idea of having anyone over 6-3 in the secondary for me. I personally think it's a bad fit. Too gangly. It's amazing to me how much an inch difference makes here. Dennis Smith was 6-3, and no one could call him gangly. But Lenny Walls and Iloka both look spindly.

He still moves pretty well, and I think could do well in that role, though i dont think he'll be an everydown guy.

Regardless, the team has multiple needs, im not sure the value in trading up all that way to get him.

Also, if the broncos were inquiring about the 7th pick, they wouldnt tell them who they are targeting. What does Zobel know? hes a college kid.

Lestat
04-25-2012, 05:31 PM
to me it's not about the height but the frame, rarely do you see guys who're 6-2+ with a sleek body type, good hip movement and overall just a fluid athlete at DB.
normally those 6-2+ guys could easily hold 210+ lbs and their frame is that of a WLB or SS.

6-0 190-200 is about the perfect size for a CB to be able to be quick,fast,fluid,technically sound & etc.

peacepipe
04-25-2012, 05:31 PM
Ya I should've used my words different. I meant trading up that high as opposed to already being at number 7 like shanahan said. Means more is given up for him.no matter I would bet he gets moved to safety.

Lestat
04-25-2012, 05:33 PM
Yep he seems top 12 in most mock drafts.

the Jags love him supposedly but don't want to take him that high, other teams in the top 10 like him as well, he's moving up similar to Mark Barron. teams see a dynamic player who has aced the draft process, no character issues and fills a huge need. neither is making it out of the top 12.

i love Gilmore as a prospect, think he'll be a great player, it's just where we'd have to draft him and what we'd have to give up that bothers the hell out of me. cause that likely means we don't draft again until round 3, maybe even round 4 depending of the price.

27atwater
04-25-2012, 05:37 PM
IMO...if we're seriously considering moving up to #7 for Gilmore, we may as well go all in and jump up to #3-5 for Claiborne.

Rohirrim
04-25-2012, 05:44 PM
Most teams talk to each other about trading up before the draft so that the groundwork is lain before they're on the clock. Not all of those talks get followed up with action. Most of it is, "How much would you want for that spot?"

Tombstone RJ
04-25-2012, 05:44 PM
The Broncos would have to give up a hellova lot to get to #7 to take Gilmore. If they trade up and took him then basically the rest of the draft is majorly sacrificed. If the Broncos want a servicable DT like Reyes they would probably have to trade up again to get him.

However, if the Broncos walk away with Gilmore and Reyes is that a total fail draft?

Tombstone RJ
04-25-2012, 05:47 PM
IMO...if we're seriously considering moving up to #7 for Gilmore, we may as well go all in and jump up to #3-5 for Claiborne.

I'm pretty sure Tamba wants Claiborne bad.

BroncoInferno
04-25-2012, 05:50 PM
I like Gilmore, but not for the cost of moving all the way up to #7. MAYBE for Fletcher Cox.

crush17
I highly doubt this scenario is legit. Just far, far too much to give up for a player who is by no means a lock.

27atwater
The Broncos would have to give up a hellova lot to get to #7 to take Gilmore. If they trade up and took him then basically the rest of the draft is majorly sacrificed. If the Broncos want a servicable DT like Reyes they would probably have to trade up again to get him.

However, if the Broncos walk away with Gilmore and Reyes is that a total fail draft?

"In exchange for getting the sixth pick, Atlanta gave the Browns five -- five! -- draft picks: their 1st- (27th overall), second- (59th) and fourth-round (124th) picks this year and their first- and fourth-round picks in 2012."

Atlanta went from 27th to 6th. We'd be going from 25th to 7th. So the deal would look a LOT like theirs. I really wouldn't wanna give up the 2012 2nd rounder (cuz we'd still need a DT), but I culd live with the rest...if we grabbed the right guy.

Rohirrim
04-25-2012, 05:53 PM
"In exchange for getting the sixth pick, Atlanta gave the Browns five -- five! -- draft picks: their 1st- (27th overall), second- (59th) and fourth-round (124th) picks this year and their first- and fourth-round picks in 2012."

Atlanta went from 27th to 6th. We'd be going from 25th to 7th. So the deal would look a LOT like theirs. I really wouldn't wanna give up the 2012 2nd rounder (cuz we'd still need a DT), but I culd live with the rest...if we grabbed the right guy.

I can't believe the Broncos would go for such a stupid deal. We need more picks, not less. No draft pick is a sure thing.

27atwater
04-25-2012, 05:55 PM
http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingReports/CB/Stephon-Gilmore.php

I actually don't hate Gilmore. Dude can ball. That said...we'd be giving up our chance at the DT we all seem to want.

27atwater
04-25-2012, 05:57 PM
****s and giggles...how far would he have to drop for you to be cool w/ EFX going after him? All the DT stuff aside. IF this is Elway's guy...

IHaveALight
04-25-2012, 05:57 PM
This would be costly and risky too. Are we positive that Peyton won't have any setbacks? Imagine him not being able to play and Caleb leads us to a 1-15 season after we've already traded away our 2013 1st rounder...

houghtam
04-25-2012, 05:58 PM

I couldn't support any move that gave up any picks in the first two rounds next year, no matter whom they pick. There are too many holes on this team to sacrifice that much, and that's just talking about next year's picks. If we sacrifice the majority of this draft or good portions of this year's and next year's for one guy, it's a stupid move any way you slice it, IMO.

Rohirrim
04-25-2012, 05:58 PM
This would be costly and risky too. Are we positive that Peyton won't have any setbacks? Imagine him not being able to play and Caleb leads us to a 1-15 season after we've already traded away our 2013 1st rounder...

Hopefully, the Broncos learned something from watching the Raiders.

pricejj
04-25-2012, 06:00 PM
It would be a trade up to #7 for Fletcher Cox...not Gilmore.

Turd_Ferguson
04-25-2012, 06:01 PM

Just the fact that you compared him to Lenny Walls makes me think he is terrible... No matter what happens from now on his name will be tainted... Thats how bad Lenny Walls was..

RaiderH8r
04-25-2012, 06:01 PM
You can never have enough two down LBs with zero coverage skills on your roster now days.

Joe Mays agrees.

houghtam
04-25-2012, 06:05 PM
Just the fact that you compared him to Lenny Walls makes me think he is terrible... No matter what happens from now on his name will be tainted... Thats how bad Lenny Walls was..

He was awesome in Madden 2005, if you spent 12 offseasons building up his skills so he could actually keep up with receivers.

Denver724
04-25-2012, 06:09 PM
It would be a trade up to #7 for Fletcher Cox...not Gilmore.

Cox is going to the Rams at #6.

TheReverend
04-25-2012, 06:14 PM
He's still in complete denial about that dumb take. And I'm guessing he'll be in here in the next couple hours to defend it.

...well, considering he was a first team all-pro, won games by himself, didnt spend half the season on the bench like someone else, and it was such a position of need we signed Porter, went after Samuel and are now rumored to potentially be giving away multiple firsts to leap 18 spots in the first round for a much lesser player in Gilmore...

Well, you tell me...

WolfpackGuy
04-25-2012, 06:20 PM
Say wha?

I don't know the college game like some of you, but I really don't know this Gilmore guy.

SureShot
04-25-2012, 06:20 PM
...well, considering he was a first team all-pro, won games by himself, didnt spend half the season on the bench like someone else, and it was such a position of need we signed Porter, went after Samuel and are now rumored to potentially be giving away multiple firsts to leap 18 spots in the first round for a much lesser player in Gilmore...

Well, you tell me...

He filled two positions of need.

pricejj
04-25-2012, 06:23 PM
Who would win the footrace?
a. Vontaze Burfict
b. Joe Mays
c. Nick Fairley
d. Big Bird
e. none of the above

IHaveALight
04-25-2012, 06:32 PM
Is Miami even a threat to take Gilmore? What if the Broncos are really trying to jump Miami for Tannehill? Or maybe Miami just won't budge from 8 because they want Tannehill so the Broncos would need to go to 7 to jump Carolina. But is Carolina even a threat to take Gilmore? More likely that we're trying to Cox block the Panthers. ;)

broncosteven
04-25-2012, 06:34 PM
I have had a gut feeling all along that they want a CB in the 1st.

If it isn't a smokescreen they might as well get the creem of the CB crop rather than sitting back and hope someone good falls to them.

Shananahan
04-25-2012, 06:36 PM
What if the Broncos are really trying to jump Miami for Tannehill?
http://www.beachwear.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/nuclear.gif

Requiem
04-25-2012, 06:39 PM
If we trade into the Top 10 -- I will poop myself.

gyldenlove
04-25-2012, 06:41 PM
Who would win the footrace?
a. Vontaze Burfict
b. Joe Mays
c. Nick Fairley
d. Big Bird
e. none of the above

The tortoise. When the odds are split, always go for the outsider.

WolfpackGuy
04-25-2012, 06:45 PM
What if the Broncos are really trying to jump Miami for Tannehill?

http://www.shanesevo.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=2665

After picture of the server should that happen.

broncosteven
04-25-2012, 06:47 PM
If we trade into the Top 10 -- I will poop myself.

I think it would be fun to see.

It means that they are going after a guy they want, maybe John was paying attention all those years that Shanny was drafting in the mid-20's every year and getting nothing to show for it.

I hate the idea of losing picks but if we get value out of it I am all for this.

Requiem
04-25-2012, 06:49 PM
I think it would be fun to see.

It means that they are going after a guy they want, maybe John was paying attention all those years that Shanny was drafting in the mid-20's every year and getting nothing to show for it.

I hate the idea of losing picks but if we get value out of it I am all for this.

I just have no idea what it would take or what they offering. It has to at least involve a second this year or a potential future first.

DBroncos4life
04-25-2012, 06:50 PM
They say there is 6 blue chip players and we are trying to get into the 7th spot. Seems like a bad idea to me.

pricejj
04-25-2012, 06:51 PM
The tortoise

by at least 20 yards.

broncosteven
04-25-2012, 06:53 PM
I just have no idea what it would take or what they offering. It has to at least involve a second this year or a potential future first.

I would prefer giving up the future 1st, especially if Manning is healthy. Just think if Manning returns to form we will be picking at the end of the 1st again next year. Why not think positive and stick some sucker with a low 1st round pick if we can get the guy they want?

Lestat
04-25-2012, 06:54 PM
****s and giggles...how far would he have to drop for you to be cool w/ EFX going after him? All the DT stuff aside. IF this is Elway's guy...

12-15 is a solid range. 7 is overkill and you have to forfeit too much to move up. if it's into the top 10 the pick better be Cox. top 15 and Gilmore or Cox works fine. Ingram as well.

but moving up to #7 for him is Jarvis Moss overkill when we moved from i think it was #24 to #17 to get him because Timmons and Harrell got taken and we panicked.

broncosteven
04-25-2012, 06:54 PM
They say there is 6 blue chip players and we are trying to get into the 7th spot. Seems like a bad idea to me.

Sitting back and waiting for a dude to fall to you is a bad idea unless your mCd and you have fallen in love with dudes who will not be on your team in 2 years.

Gcver2ver3
04-25-2012, 06:58 PM
well if the broncos are game for trading next years 1st rounder, and if the rumor is true then apparently they are... then hopefully they can be more creative than just throwing evrything at the #7 pick...

DBroncos4life
04-25-2012, 06:58 PM
Sitting back and waiting for a dude to fall to you is a bad idea unless your mCd and you have fallen in love with dudes who will not be on your team in 2 years.

If we have to give up along the lines of what the Falcons did last year I don't see how that helps us in the long run either.

27atwater
04-25-2012, 06:59 PM
I have always agreed with the "go get your guy" mentality, so I wouldn't argue with the move. But I personally think that there are other options that we could take w/o having to give up so much.

Lestat
04-25-2012, 06:59 PM
Is Miami even a threat to take Gilmore? What if the Broncos are really trying to jump Miami for Tannehill? Or maybe Miami just won't budge from 8 because they want Tannehill so the Broncos would need to go to 7 to jump Carolina. But is Carolina even a threat to take Gilmore? More likely that we're trying to Cox block the Panthers. ;)

Miami is a slight threat but they have to take Tannehill due to when they passed on Ryan before and took Long. Long is a great LT but they can't get a QB to save their lives.

Carolina,Jacksonville & several other teams are supposed to be wowed by Gilmore so much so that he jumped from a 2nd round pick, to a low first to a mid first and now potentially top 10 since the combine.

still wouldn't dare take him #7 overall, damn sure wouldn't trade up to do it.

he's gonna be a player but it's not worth sacrificing getting potentially 3-4 starters in a draft without the trade or getting a dynamic player and then filler with that trade.

snowspot66
04-25-2012, 07:01 PM
I have always agreed with the "go get your guy" mentality, so I wouldn't argue with the move. But I personally think that there are other options that we could take w/o having to give up so much.

Get your guy is fine when you've got a good team. We still need depth at practically every position.

eddie mac
04-25-2012, 07:05 PM
I'll be ****ing livid if we trade up into the top 10 for ****ing Gilmore. Gimme a break.

pokenation
04-25-2012, 07:05 PM
I would prefer giving up the future 1st, especially if Manning is healthy. Just think if Manning returns to form we will be picking at the end of the 1st again next year. Why not think positive and stick some sucker with a low 1st round pick if we can get the guy they want?

This is what I was thinkin too....give up next years 1st because its not going to be better than this years...so go for it if you can get it done.

Bacchus
04-25-2012, 07:06 PM

They would have to give up their first round pick next year plus the #25 to move up 20 spots or so.

gunns
04-25-2012, 07:06 PM
When I saw the thread title I thought it was possibly for Kuechly. I don't want to give up that much to trade up but at least it would be for a defensive player if it happened.

elsid13
04-25-2012, 07:08 PM
Gilmore is extremely talented player that doesn't get the public attention he should. It make sense to see if Denver can go get CB that can anchor the back seven for the next 10 years.

Interesting PFW says that he is best playing off coverage. Seems to be trend here.

Stuck in Cali
04-25-2012, 07:11 PM
I hope we don't waste picks this year by trading them away. We need depth at many positions.

broncosteven
04-25-2012, 07:13 PM
Get your guy is fine when you've got a good team. We still need depth at practically every position.

How many deep are you talking?

I think we have a very good pool of starters, a healthy PM will ease a lot of ills on O. Getting him the best possible defenders this year will only make the team better.

Factoring in that EFX used last year to evaluate what they have to work with I think they would be making the right move to jump up to get their guy.

Plus if it is a smoke screen then good for them, it does no harm. tomorrow will tell.

Bronco Boy
04-25-2012, 07:14 PM
Anyone have a highlight vid? Can't say ive seen much of Gilmore.

DenverBroncosJM
04-25-2012, 07:15 PM
i do not like trading up that high unless it's for Cox or Richardson. maybe even Kuechly.
but to go up that high to grab Gilmore is bad value. i know he's surged up draft boards but that's #25, our 2nd, a 4th and likely some picks into next year if not our first next year.
he better start from day 1 and be close to DROY for that type of package.

Those would be my guess too. I think Luke K changes the whole defense

Aftermath
I'm cool with trading up, but not for Gilmore....

broncosteven
Gilmore is extremely talented player that doesn't get the public attention he should. It make sense to see if Denver can go get CB that can anchor the back seven for the next 10 years.

Interesting PFW says that he is best playing off coverage. Seems to be trend here.

It would be nice to get a solid CB and allow Champ to move to FS. I wonder if Porter will be suspended or just fined for his part in the Saints scandal. If a suspension is coming then we really need to land a stud CB even more.

Requiem
04-25-2012, 07:20 PM
*raps to Big Boi's Kryptonite beat*

We be on it all night, we be on it all day, if you want Stephon Gilmore pimp, Denver tradin' up in the Top 8!

elsid13
04-25-2012, 07:22 PM
It would be nice to get a solid CB and allow Champ to move to FS. I wonder if Porter will be suspended or just fined for his part in the Saints scandal. If a suspension is coming then we really need to land a stud CB even more.

We need young starting talent at the CB. Harris is at best a nickle/spot starter and Porter is on one year deal

peacepipe
04-25-2012, 07:23 PM
I'm cool with trading up, but not for Gilmore....who would you trade up for? There isn't a DT worth what we would have to give up.

broncosteven
04-25-2012, 07:28 PM
We need young starting talent at the CB. Harris is at best a nickle/spot starter and Porter is on one year deal

I agree, the only thing that scares me is the bust potential with a rookie. I think EFX has done well trying to get younger and better.

eddie mac
04-25-2012, 07:32 PM
Let's hope we're as tight on the offer to the Jags as we were to a proven commodity now playing in Atlanta. We wouldn't even be having this conversation had they actually closed that deal on 50% of the coin he was making in Philly.

errand
04-25-2012, 07:39 PM

Well, you tell me...

Well, Von helped us win more games......and the division, and a playoff game.

Oh and he also won DRoY.....was also a position of need, and made pro bowl.

Not to mention Miller Time just sounds cool.......

broncosteven
04-25-2012, 07:44 PM
Let's hope we're as tight on the offer to the Jags as we were to a proven commodity now playing in Atlanta. We wouldn't even be having this conversation had they actually closed that deal on 50% of the coin he was making in Philly.

I think they want to get younger at CB. 18 mil over 3 years is still a lot of $.

I was impressed though that Atlanta was able to get that done and only give up a 7th round pick. Us fans must really overvalue the value of players. That or Philly really wanted him gone.

TonyR
04-25-2012, 07:49 PM

^ Yup, this is my thinking. If CB is a big enough need to throw the rest of the draft out the window then they should have made signing another CB in FA or getting one in a trade a higher priority. We have too many needs for a move like this to make sense.

Lestat
04-25-2012, 07:51 PM

not so sure about that, i don't buy that the only reason they'd deal up to 7 is strictly for Gilmore, there were rumors of this when the Asante deal was being discussed.

broncosteven
04-25-2012, 07:55 PM
^ Yup, this is my thinking. If CB is a big enough need to throw the rest of the draft out the window then they should have made signing another CB in FA or getting one in a trade a higher priority. We have too many needs for a move like this to make sense.

What are the other needs that we can't live without outside of DT and maybe MLB?

I like it, the Broncos are dedicated to winning now, it is a gamble but glad they are trying to pull it off asap.

maven
04-25-2012, 07:56 PM
What is this gonna cost? That Is a minimum of two 1sts

RunSilentRunDeep
04-25-2012, 07:57 PM
I'm forever stunned at how easily people suck down BS. Shawn Zobel has zero sources, zero inside information. Every douchebag with a draft website makes up a rumor to drive traffic. Do people really think these nobodies all of a sudden get wired into team execs the week of the draft every year? Get a clue.

Broncos_OTM
04-25-2012, 08:05 PM

Lenny walls was a CB not a safety. so I don't see what tacos point really is. s and CB are a bit different

27atwater
04-25-2012, 08:09 PM
I'm forever stunned at how easily people suck down BS. Shawn Zobel has zero sources, zero inside information. Every douchebag with a draft website makes up a rumor to drive traffic. Do people really think these nobodies all of a sudden get wired into team execs the week of the draft every year? Get a clue.

what else are we gonna talk about?

mhgaffney
04-25-2012, 08:11 PM
Let's hope it's just smoke.

TheChamp24
04-25-2012, 08:14 PM
http://www.funcracker.com/FunBull/Funny-Pictures/Funny-Pictures/Oh-God-No!-2019.jpg

I will pray to the Football gods we aren't dumb enough to leap frog people to take a freakin CB who until recently I believe many thought would be a 2nd/3rd round pick.

cmhargrove
04-25-2012, 08:14 PM
Didn't Elway just say we would only trade down the other day? What gives?

TonyR
04-25-2012, 08:19 PM
What are the other needs that we can't live without outside of DT and maybe MLB?

But DT is a pretty big need, and they also need to look at interior OL, RB, and maybe even WR. I don't think this team is a rookie CB away from being a Super Bowl contender. Again, if we're that close, and need another CB, why not go harder after Samuel and then use the draft to fill the other needs?

TonyR
04-25-2012, 08:20 PM

Well, we don't know that there's any truth to the rumor. And if true, maybe the Jags made the call because they want to move down. This could all be nothing.

Requiem
04-25-2012, 08:25 PM

In Elway's draft presser he said they could go either way, it just has to be the right offer.

broncosteven
04-25-2012, 08:35 PM
But DT is a pretty big need, and they also need to look at interior OL, RB, and maybe even WR. I don't think this team is a rookie CB away from being a Super Bowl contender. Again, if we're that close, and need another CB, why not go harder after Samuel and then use the draft to fill the other needs?

I agree we are not one player away but we would still be able to get a rotational DT and C/G's can be had in the lower rounds.

I think we could move up and still fill needs later. Not saying it is going to happen but I could see why they would want to and that I would be cool with it if they did it.

Taco John
04-25-2012, 08:37 PM

Never believe anything you hear in April unless it comes from the commissioner's mouth.

broncosteven
04-25-2012, 08:38 PM
In Elway's draft presser he said they could go either way, it just has to be the right offer.

I am not sure I could ever get the right offer to go either way.

Sirennicky would have to have "Failure is not an Option" memorized and even then it might take some ruffies and goofballs.

Taco John
04-25-2012, 08:38 PM

What DT can we get at the end of the first round that we can't get equivalent talent in the second?

broncosteven
04-25-2012, 08:39 PM
Never believe anything you hear in April unless it comes from the commissioner's mouth.

Is that Shakespeare?

cutthemdown
04-25-2012, 08:42 PM
Hopefully Elway is smart enough the GMS aren't sure who he wants to move up for. He could be saying Gilmore but really wanting some other player. Why do all of you take what he says to the media as gospel. Elway said Tebow was starter then signed Manning. He's a liar. Elway said we wouldn't trade up arrrrrrrg hurumph hurumph, hey i didn't get hurumph from that guy in the back.

Just wait for draft, then research the players we drafted and learn to love them. So says the seer so shall it be.

Requiem
04-25-2012, 08:46 PM
What DT can we get at the end of the first round that we can't get equivalent talent in the second?

There aren't going to be any good defensive tackles left in the second round when we get there.

Fletcher Cox, Dontari Poe, Michael Brockers are all going in the first. I'd suspect Kendall Reyes and Jerel Worthy will be Top 40 selections. I'm guessing Brandon Thompson, Devon Still and Alameda Ta'amu will be Top 56 guys.

That leaves Mike Martin, Derek Wolfe and Billy Winn as our other options. That is sad.

broncosteven
Hopefully Elway is smart enough the GMS aren't sure who he wants to move up for. He could be saying Gilmore but really wanting some other player. Why do all of you take what he says to the media as gospel. Elway said Tebow was starter then signed Manning. He's a liar. Elway said we wouldn't trade up arrrrrrrg hurumph hurumph, hey i didn't get hurumph from that guy in the back.

Just wait for draft, then research the players we drafted and learn to love them. So says the seer so shall it be.

I wouldn't say liar as much as protecting his (the teams) interests.

barryr
As much as I like Gilmore, I think the Broncos would look to move up to get Cox if anybody.

bronco militia
04-25-2012, 09:07 PM
Is that Shakespeare?

"talk is cheap"....mike shanahan

Lestat
04-25-2012, 09:30 PM

he's been "politically" correct in his answers. some have been serious, some have been tongue in cheek, others have had a purpose that we won't see until after the draft.

but he has taken advantage of the opportunities placed in front of him.
as he's supposed to do since he's the Exec of the Broncos.

houghtam
04-25-2012, 09:37 PM

Woah woah woah. I have to learn to love the players we draft? I didn't sign up for this!

Rolandftw
04-25-2012, 09:42 PM
I can't imagine us having the ammo to move up from 25 to 7.

I'd think it would cost two 1st's and one 2nd rounder.

Rohirrim
04-25-2012, 10:01 PM
This kind of discussion gives me the ****ing hives.

Bacchus
04-25-2012, 10:06 PM
.... Elway said Tebow was starter then signed Manning. He's a liar. Elway said we wouldn't trade up arrrrrrrg hurumph hurumph, hey i didn't get hurumph from that guy in the back.

wow, that is a lame post. Elway said at the end of the season that Tebow would be the starter entering Training Camp, hardly a ringing endorsement. This was of course before Manning was ever even talked about coming to Denver.

houghtam
04-25-2012, 10:07 PM
This kind of discussion gives me the ****ing hives.

The good hives or the bad ones?

MVP-06
04-25-2012, 10:13 PM
Would this be a Julio jones type of jump? I don't see how we can mortgage our draft for just one guy. We are more than one player away. Cox would be nice to get but I wouldn't feel good about what we wold have to give up.

hookemhess
04-25-2012, 10:24 PM

Well, you tell me...

http://i.imgur.com/BDNXa.gif

Dedhed
04-25-2012, 11:26 PM
Would anyone else find it ironic (retarded) if we traded our draft to the Jags after dealing Tebow elsewhere?

yerner
04-25-2012, 11:28 PM
ran a 4.29? that's pretty tight. never saw him play but if he's legit, i get the interest.

DBroncos4life
04-25-2012, 11:29 PM
Would anyone else find it ironic (retarded) if we traded our draft to the Jags after dealing Tebow elsewhere?

How so?

Dedhed
04-25-2012, 11:31 PM
How so?The Jags were the consensus (and reported highest bidders) landing spot for Tebow.

DBroncos4life
04-25-2012, 11:35 PM
The Jags were the consensus (and reported highest bidders) landing spot for Tebow.

They also didn't want to pay the 5 million dollars to get Tebow so.....no I don't.

Dedhed
04-25-2012, 11:39 PM
no I don't.

Not at all surprising.

DBroncos4life
04-25-2012, 11:45 PM
Not at all surprising.

Lol the Jags didn't want to pay for Tebow.

Dedhed
04-25-2012, 11:48 PM
Lol the Jags didn't want to pay for Tebow.
I thought I mentioned that I wasn't surprised that you don't get it.

DBroncos4life
04-25-2012, 11:52 PM
I thought I mentioned that I wasn't surprised that you don't get it.

No I get that you think we could have used Tebow as part of a package player with the Jags in this trade. They wouldn't pay for him then so I doubt they would now. If the Jags really wanted him he would be a Jag not a Jet. You don't seem to get that.

Requiem
04-25-2012, 11:54 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_3a5BNWWw2J8/TBdykh_R0MI/AAAAAAAAAfE/jMfi82_O5KA/s400/timmy_CrippleFight_400.jpg

cutthemdown
04-26-2012, 01:12 AM
wow, that is a lame post. Elway said at the end of the season that Tebow would be the starter entering Training Camp, hardly a ringing endorsement. This was of course before Manning was ever even talked about coming to Denver.

You need to check your sarcasm bone there buddy.

cutthemdown
04-26-2012, 01:14 AM
I wouldn't say liar as much as protecting his (the teams) interests.

The point is I don't expect for the team to tell me beforehand what the plans are. It's good to keep people guessing.

Bacchus
04-26-2012, 02:03 AM
You need to check your sarcasm bone there buddy.

oh, you need to post sarcasm. Letters sometimes do not translate.

Here are just a few options:~ohyah!:Hilarious!:giggle::holyguac!_i_O_i _:oyvey::yep:

SPORTSWRITER
04-26-2012, 04:20 AM
smokescreen

Prolly?? It's PROBABLY. No offense intended, but I sometimes feel like I'm reading posts by first graders with words like prolly and should "of." It's should "HAVE." Of is a preposition and have is a verb. Some folks on here text better than they write. Oftentimes, there is no punctuation or capitalization, and the words just run together and make it difficult to read what someone is writing. Again, no offense intended. I will bet that lots of others on this forum feel the same as I do. Just think about it, Br0nc0Buster. BTW, why are you using zeroes instead of O's in your screen name? I think that's actually very creative, except I hate to think of "nothings" when chatting about our Broncos!

Broncos_OTM
04-26-2012, 05:20 AM
Prolly?? It's PROBABLY. No offense intended, but I sometimes feel like I'm reading posts by first graders with words like prolly and should "of." It's should "HAVE." Of is a preposition and have is a verb. Some folks on here text better than they write. Oftentimes, there is no punctuation or capitalization, and the words just run together and make it difficult to read what someone is writing. Again, no offense intended. I will bet that lots of others on this forum feel the same as I do. Just think about it, Br0nc0Buster. BTW, why are you using zeroes instead of O's in your screen name? I think that's actually very creative, except I hate to think of "nothings" when chatting about our Broncos!I personally love it when guys have their grammar corrected, that's why I post. Nothing like a English lesson on a broncos forum.

Heyneck
04-26-2012, 06:12 AM
Can't believe we are still talking about Tebow in this thread. Move on people! Anyway... back on subject... I bet that before we move up (unless is someone we really like who wont cost much to move up) we move out of the first round. Just my 2 cents.

g6matty
04-26-2012, 06:14 AM
what if we're trying to jump the dolphins to grab tennehill. our QBOTF:stirstir:

CEH
04-26-2012, 06:16 AM
Dre is not being rated as high as most draft experts have him
He could be there at 25 without a trade up. Brockers you will need to trade up for

Gilmore will be top 10-15. Way above Dre

Jenkins is off several draft board. Might be value in the 3rd but he will not go 1st round

Decastro falling past 15 helps out Denver,

TheElusiveKyleOrton
04-26-2012, 06:21 AM
Prolly?? It's PROBABLY. No offense intended, but I sometimes feel like I'm reading posts by first graders with words like prolly and should "of." It's should "HAVE." Of is a preposition and have is a verb. Some folks on here text better than they write. Oftentimes, there is no punctuation or capitalization, and the words just run together and make it difficult to read what someone is writing. Again, no offense intended. I will bet that lots of others on this forum feel the same as I do. Just think about it, Br0nc0Buster. BTW, why are you using zeroes instead of O's in your screen name? I think that's actually very creative, except I hate to think of "nothings" when chatting about our Broncos!

No offense, but we all read your screed with your takes and... at the end of the day, you shouldn't be correcting anyone's grammar, word choices or writing ability.

Again, no offense intended. you should clean your own house.

TonyR
04-26-2012, 06:43 AM

Well that 2nd round pick would very possibly be part of the hypothetical package to move up.

cutthemdown
04-26-2012, 07:29 AM
If Elway smart he will think like this.

How do we win? We win by keeping Manning healthy and on the field. How do we do that? By having a top 5 oline that protects him, and weapons so he can get rid of the ball quickly to open guys.

You ain't gonna get that done with Beadles, Walton, and a gimpy Kuper. Sorry but oline IMO weaker then the dline. I know I know DT DT DT but you can get by at DT with a rotation. Especially with Miller and Doom to rush the passer. Plus I think Broncos feel Vickerson and Warren are a lot better then all of you do.

Broncos go into the yr with the top 3 interior olinemen being Kuper, Walton, Beadles, and we are Kuper getting hurt from being utter crap. Manning struggles the most from inside pressure. Hell lose Kuper and Spider could throat punch his way through that bunch drunk with a hooker on his back.

Decastro, Konz, Zietler all in play IMO.

CEH
04-26-2012, 07:33 AM
If Elway smart he will think like this.

How do we win? We win by keeping Manning healthy and on the field. How do we do that? By having a top 5 oline that protects him, and weapons so he can get rid of the ball quickly to open guys.

You ain't gonna get that done with Beadles, Walton, and a gimpy Kuper. Sorry but oline IMO weaker then the dline. I know I know DT DT DT but you can get by at DT with a rotation. Especially with Miller and Doom to rush the passer. Plus I think Broncos feel Vickerson and Warren are a lot better then all of you do.

Broncos go into the yr with the top 3 interior olinemen being Kuper, Walton, Beadles, and we are Kuper getting hurt from being utter crap. Manning struggles the most from inside pressure. Hell lose Kuper and Spider could throat punch his way through that bunch drunk with a hooker on his back.

Decastro, Konz, Zietler all in play IMO.

Maybe one but expiernce and continutity has to play a role in how many changes we need to make to the Oline. I don't see Denver selecting a Oline in round one. More of a situational pass rusher, RB , CB or maybe DT if Brockers falls

Dedhed
04-26-2012, 08:45 AM
No I get that you think we could have used Tebow as part of a package player with the Jags in this trade. They wouldn't pay for him then so I doubt they would now. If the Jags really wanted him he would be a Jag not a Jet. You don't seem to get that.Other than being completely false, that's a good point.

TheReverend
04-26-2012, 08:54 AM
http://i.imgur.com/BDNXa.gif

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj73/thereverend316/2r3gltu.gif

DENVERDUI55
04-26-2012, 09:28 AM
...well, considering he was a first team all-proAS A SPECIAL TEAMS PLAYER, won games by himself, didnt spend half the season on the bench like someone else, and it was such a position of need we signed Porter, went after Samuel and are now rumored to potentially be giving away multiple firsts to leap 18 spots in the first round for a much lesser player in Gilmore...

Well, you tell me...

Tell the whole story. He was barely average as a CB.

Tombstone RJ
04-26-2012, 09:48 AM

"they" say there are 6 blue chippers but that does not mean those blue chip players will all be taken in the first 6 spots. Anyway "they" may be wrong, give or take on the blue chip players that is...

TheReverend
04-26-2012, 09:51 AM
Tell the whole story. He was barely average as a CB.

Not even remotely true.

Richard Marshall is a borderline probowl CB that was shelved to S because Peterson made him obsolete.

DENVERDUI55
04-26-2012, 12:58 PM
Not even remotely true.

Richard Marshall is a borderline probowl CB that was shelved to S because Peterson made him obsolete.

OK Man, Why then did Rashad Johnson start and played FS after Kerry Rhodes went down. Wilson was the other S but whatever you know everything. Marshall only started 9 games last year. He was so close to Probowl AZ didn't even try to resign him.

TheReverend
04-26-2012, 01:15 PM
OK Man, Why then did Rashad Johnson start and played FS after Kerry Rhodes went down. Wilson was the other S but whatever you know everything. Marshall only started 9 games last year. He was so close to Probowl AZ didn't even try to resign him.

Uh, he didnt... That was Marshall.

Marshall spent most of his career at cornerback before making the switch to safety last season with the Arizona Cardinals.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/55429/richard-marshall-comfortable-at-cb-safety

DENVERDUI55
04-26-2012, 06:56 PM
Uh, he didnt... That was Marshall.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/55429/richard-marshall-comfortable-at-cb-safety

Whatever dude its clear you haven't seen the cardinals play. Marshall played both CB and S on passing downs. You can believe a Blogger I'll believe what I saw since I was stuck in AZ last football season. Either way still doesn't change Peterson being average at best in coverage. Marshall as borderline pro bowl is a joke.