PDA

View Full Version : 5 Can't Miss Picks

Tombstone RJ
04-24-2012, 10:04 PM
um well, yah.... I guess...

http://www.sportspickle.com/opinion/12351/5-hilariously-wrong-scouting-reports-of-historic-nfl-draft-busts

BroncoMan4ever
04-24-2012, 11:31 PM
can Quinn be truly thought of as a bust? the guy never got a shot. Cleveland is so messed up that they seemingly flipped a coin every week to decie who started. he got overlooked because Anderson pulled a career year out of his ass and landed a big deal for it. came to Denver after Orton had established himself as the starter only to see the golden boy with a massive fanbase join the club.

Bacchus
04-24-2012, 11:37 PM
can Quinn be truly thought of as a bust? the guy never got a shot. Cleveland is so messed up that they seemingly flipped a coin every week to decie who started. he got overlooked because Anderson pulled a career year out of his ass and landed a big deal for it. came to Denver after Orton had established himself as the starter only to see the golden boy with a massive fanbase join the club.

Never getting a shot equates a bust. Yes he is a bust of tremendous proportions. Well, no more than Leinart, Couch and the hundreds of other QBs who come in and out of the league without ever accomplishing anything great.

Quinn might find a good career as a back-up QB and there really is nothing wrong with that. Leanr to embrace your job and keep collecting those paychecks.

Lestat
04-24-2012, 11:42 PM
injuries and not being able to play are the only way you aren't a bust in terms of opportunity and production. Quinn is a bust as he was considered to be one of the most pro ready QB's in recent memory, he was supposed to be a serious franchise QB and his skills just didn't translate.

kinda funny that Russell was compared to Quinn and both are on the list.

Shananahan
04-24-2012, 11:46 PM
They forgot Jared Crick.

Vegas_Bronco
04-25-2012, 12:55 AM
I remember Quinn getting a shot...4 of them in fact right on his back...in one game at the hands of the DOOM!

houghtam
04-25-2012, 01:14 AM
They forgot Jared Crick.

Hilarious!Hilarious!Hilarious! erp

houghtam
04-25-2012, 01:23 AM
The "25 Funniest Names in Sports" article is hilarious.

If you're into 3rd grader humor.

Which I am.

http://www.sportspickle.com/opinion/12335/the-25-funniest-athlete-names-in-sports-history/page:1

BroncoMan4ever
04-25-2012, 02:03 AM
Never getting a shot equates a bust. Yes he is a bust of tremendous proportions. Well, no more than Leinart, Couch and the hundreds of other QBs who come in and out of the league without ever accomplishing anything great.

Quinn might find a good career as a back-up QB and there really is nothing wrong with that. Leanr to embrace your job and keep collecting those paychecks.

to me, a bust is a guy who comes in and fails. Quinn hasn't failed because he never got a chance.

Leinart is a bust. he came in, played and sucked.
Couch is a bust. came played sucked

Quinn he came to the NFL, and then nothing.

i truly won't be surprised if he winds up starting for KC before the end of the year. they aren't sold on Cassel, and if he plays ****ty again, Crennel will give the guy he drafted one last shot to make it.

Agamemnon
04-25-2012, 02:08 AM
And that is why I think people are ridiculous with their claims that Luck is a can't miss prospect. The truth is there is no such thing.

Agamemnon
04-25-2012, 02:10 AM
to me, a bust is a guy who comes in and fails. Quinn hasn't failed because he never got a chance.

Leinart is a bust. he came in, played and sucked.
Couch is a bust. came played sucked

Quinn he came to the NFL, and then nothing.

i truly won't be surprised if he winds up starting for KC before the end of the year. they aren't sold on Cassel, and if he plays ****ty again, Crennel will give the guy he drafted one last shot to make it.

Quinn started for the Browns for a while. He wasn't given the proper time to develop, but he did get playing time. And in his limited playing time he sucked.

Requiem
04-25-2012, 02:12 AM
We are drafting Morris "4" Claiborne baby!

BroncoMan4ever
04-25-2012, 02:32 AM
Quinn started for the Browns for a while. He wasn't given the proper time to develop, but he did get playing time. And in his limited playing time he sucked.

he played 13 total games. he came in late to Training Camp because of contract hold ups, all but ensuring he wouldn't start right away. he rode pine until near the last game of the season when he replaced an injured Anderson.

Because Anderson went 10-6 during Quinn's rookie year, he was given a new deal and named starter going into Quinn's 2nd season. in Quinn's 2nd season he replaced an ineffective Anderson midway through the season, played 2 games and broke a finger and was done for the rest of the year.

Year 3, Crennel got fired and Mangini leaned towards starting the guy with more experience but Quinn earns the job. By this time Quinn has started 3 games, because of a contract dispute and injuries. Quinn started the season as starter, played until week 3 and was benched for playing like an inexperienced player on a bad team. He reclaims the starting job in week 8 and has good and bad moments as he gains experience as a starter for a bad team. he once again gets injured and misses the last 2 weeks of the season.

Year 4, he is traded to Denver. by that time Orton had already built time up in Denver and was pretty much set as starter. so he is already slated as backup even though he was told he would get the chance to compete. Then the team drafts Tebow, and that screws Quinn again.

Year 5, he is outplayed by Orton the practice god, and outplays Tebow to be the number 2 guy. But when Orton proves ineffective again, the team falls to fan pressure and starts Tebow over him.

a player can't be properly analyzed by 13 games started, scattered over a 3 year stint in Cleveland, a place where careers go to die.

ZONA
04-25-2012, 02:44 AM
I'm sorta on the fence with Quinn. Yeah, really never got a genuine shot, being able to play a few seasons as a starter and get some experience and develop some chemistry but he never really outshined anybody in front of him either. He may have been a servicable QB but I don't think he would have been some big time passer either.

BroncoMan4ever
04-25-2012, 02:45 AM
I'm sorta on the fence with Quinn. Yeah, really never got a genuine shot, being able to play a few seasons get some experience and develop some chemistry but he never really outshined anybody in front of him either. He may have been a servicable QB but I don't think he would have been some big time passer either.

i agree, i don't think he would have become Aaron Rodgers or the next Manning or Brady. but i think he could have been a solid starter.

FantomForce
04-25-2012, 07:37 AM
No mention of the painful draft pick Ryan Leaf????

Kaylore
04-25-2012, 07:46 AM
I'm sorta on the fence with Quinn. Yeah, really never got a genuine shot, being able to play a few seasons as a starter and get some experience and develop some chemistry but he never really outshined anybody in front of him either. He may have been a servicable QB but I don't think he would have been some big time passer either.

No, Quinn sucks.

Rohirrim
04-25-2012, 08:07 AM
I've always wondered how Couch and Carr would have turned out if they hadn't been thrown into the starting job right out of the gate behind crap Olines and just got their asses kicked. Once a guy goes through that, his confidence can be destroyed. Leaf had everything going for him, except that he was nuts. Nobody saw that coming. Physically, he was the prototype.

fontaine
04-25-2012, 08:09 AM
No, Quinn sucks.

Yeah exactly. A guy sits on the bench for a few years and people just forget how he had zero feel/sense for the pass rush in the pocket and no anticipation on any pass longer than a 5 yard dump off.

fontaine
04-25-2012, 08:12 AM
I've always wondered how Couch and Carr would have turned out if they hadn't been thrown into the starting job right out of the gate behind crap Olines and just got their asses kicked. Once a guy goes through that, his confidence can be destroyed. Leaf had everything going for him, except that he was nuts. Nobody saw that coming. Physically, he was the prototype.

Why? If an NFL level QB can't handle working behind an average or mediocre OL then he doesn't belong in the league in the first place. It's not as if a QB is going to get all pro protection for all of his career.

Rohirrim
04-25-2012, 08:21 AM
Why? If an NFL level QB can't handle working behind an average or mediocre OL then he doesn't belong in the league in the first place. It's not as if a QB is going to get all pro protection for all of his career.

There was a time in the league when some draftee QBs were given some time to acclimate. Some guys are so good coming out of college, it doesn't matter. I think Luck will be one of those guys. He'd better be. He's not going to get much support on Indy, and they're tossing him right in. Some QBs take time to develop and to adapt to the NFL. Maybe it's because of the money being spent now? Teams can't afford to draft a QB in the first round and then have him walk around with a clipboard.

Would Aaron Rogers have been as good if he'd had the experience of Alex Smith, being thrown to the lions right out of the gate? Or would he have looked pretty much like Alex has his first few years? Instead, he got the time to learn behind Brett Favre. When he came in, he was ready for it.

gunns
04-25-2012, 08:25 AM

Yes, yes he can. If Anderson could pull a career year out of his ass, Quinn should have been able to. Problem was, his ass had no career year. He had opportunities.

DBroncos4life
04-25-2012, 08:26 AM

Being sacked 68 times your rookie year can't help your development. He was probably hit another 100 more times on top of that. Carr was sacked 249 times in 4 years. Carr if anything tough as hell.

TheChamp24
04-25-2012, 09:56 AM
he played 13 total games. he came in late to Training Camp because of contract hold ups, all but ensuring he wouldn't start right away. he rode pine until near the last game of the season when he replaced an injured Anderson.

Because Anderson went 10-6 during Quinn's rookie year, he was given a new deal and named starter going into Quinn's 2nd season. in Quinn's 2nd season he replaced an ineffective Anderson midway through the season, played 2 games and broke a finger and was done for the rest of the year.

Year 3, Crennel got fired and Mangini leaned towards starting the guy with more experience but Quinn earns the job. By this time Quinn has started 3 games, because of a contract dispute and injuries. Quinn started the season as starter, played until week 3 and was benched for playing like an inexperienced player on a bad team. He reclaims the starting job in week 8 and has good and bad moments as he gains experience as a starter for a bad team. he once again gets injured and misses the last 2 weeks of the season.

Year 4, he is traded to Denver. by that time Orton had already built time up in Denver and was pretty much set as starter. so he is already slated as backup even though he was told he would get the chance to compete. Then the team drafts Tebow, and that screws Quinn again.

Year 5, he is outplayed by Orton the practice god, and outplays Tebow to be the number 2 guy. But when Orton proves ineffective again, the team falls to fan pressure and starts Tebow over him.

a player can't be properly analyzed by 13 games started, scattered over a 3 year stint in Cleveland, a place where careers go to die.

Quinn was crap in preseason games, and horrid with the chances he got.
Basically Quinn had 3 good games, 1 maybe "okay" game and the rest crap.
Your mancrush on Quinn is strong...

fontaine
04-26-2012, 07:24 AM
Being sacked 68 times your rookie year can't help your development. He was probably hit another 100 more times on top of that. Carr was sacked 249 times in 4 years. Carr if anything tough as hell.

I hear you but I'm not talking about development. If a QB doesn't have that pocket sense in the first place there's nothing to develop. Would Carr have produced better stats with a better OL, sure. Would it have made him a better QB in the pocket in the long run when he didn't have a good OL later in his career? Probably not.

fontaine
04-26-2012, 07:33 AM
There was a time in the league when some draftee QBs were given some time to acclimate. Some guys are so good coming out of college, it doesn't matter. I think Luck will be one of those guys. He'd better be. He's not going to get much support on Indy, and they're tossing him right in. Some QBs take time to develop and to adapt to the NFL. Maybe it's because of the money being spent now? Teams can't afford to draft a QB in the first round and then have him walk around with a clipboard.

Would Aaron Rogers have been as good if he'd had the experience of Alex Smith, being thrown to the lions right out of the gate? Or would he have looked pretty much like Alex has his first few years? Instead, he got the time to learn behind Brett Favre. When he came in, he was ready for it.

I'll disagree. Rogers would have developed as a great QB regardless because he has that work ethic to go with the talent. After his first year starting he went into the offseason and altered his throwing motion himself working countless hours to get the repitition down. Plenty of great QB get forced to start early on with poor talent around them but that's what makes them great: Their team ends up relying on them more than that elite QB does on his team mates.

Alex Smith wasn't in a good situation, I agree, but he struggled a lot because he didn't/still hasn't been able to develop that part of his game where he can take calculated chances/risks to know when to force the ball and when not to. He's in a good situation right now because he's a role player in a team that doesn't rely on him consistently. That would work well for most QBs in the league.