PDA

View Full Version : Terrell Davis stats...

iforgotmypassword
04-24-2012, 04:35 PM
Can anybody find TD's first half stats. His season stats are all over but I want to see what he did in the first halves of the1998 season. Any help would be great!

.......Punched some numbers.....

216 carries 1133 yards for a 5.25 average and 12 touchdowns

orange&blue87
04-24-2012, 04:51 PM
you can find the game books here and go through and calculate.

http://media.denverbroncos.com/section_display.cfm?section_id=177

BroncoMan4ever
04-24-2012, 04:53 PM
TD got pulled by halftime or before the 4th quarter probably 5 times at least that year. If he finished those games out he would have set a single season rushing record that likely would never be broken

Crushaholic
04-24-2012, 04:53 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/790/year/1998/terrell-davis

broncosteven
04-24-2012, 05:26 PM
I remember TD needing like 175 yards to go over 2k for the year in the Seattle game and knowing by half time he was going to get it.

Jetmeck
04-24-2012, 05:48 PM
I remember TD needing like 175 yards to go over 2k for the year in the Seattle game and knowing by half time he was going to get it.

Remember Schlereth saying I didn't care how hurt he was or what the coaching staff said TD was gonna get 2k that day........they wanted it tooooo

iforgotmypassword
04-24-2012, 06:15 PM
Punched some number.....

broncosteven
04-24-2012, 09:55 PM
Punched some number.....

KM will never touch that number in a full 16 game season and if he were featured back.

KM could retire off that 1133 yard in one year and go somewhere on a bender.

maher_tyler
04-24-2012, 09:57 PM
KM will never touch that number in a full 16 game season and if he were featured back.

Sad but true

Garcia Bronco
04-24-2012, 10:15 PM
The feature back is about dead in the NFL.

errand
04-24-2012, 10:23 PM

That could be said of alot of RB's....not just Moreno

Bacchus
04-24-2012, 10:39 PM

Elway also needed 4 TD passes that game to get to 300 and he got that as well. God bless the Seahawks' defense!!:strong:

Taco John
04-24-2012, 10:42 PM
The feature back is about dead in the NFL.

One of my greatest laments of the new NFL passing era... I love the game, but they've really destroyed a lot that I love about it in the last ten years

extralife
04-24-2012, 11:01 PM
But the feature back isn't dead because of passing, it's dead because it killed itself. Need I remind you TD himself could only take those kinds of numbers for two years before he burned out. Players are too big and fast, and there's just about nothing you can do to strengthen joints and ligaments in anything remotely resembling an even proportion with what is going on with the rest of the body at the very top of the athletic chain.

Shananahan
04-24-2012, 11:15 PM
Need I remind you TD himself could only take those kinds of numbers for two years before he burned out.
Actually, I think you do.

houghtam
04-24-2012, 11:22 PM
One of my greatest laments of the new NFL passing era... I love the game, but they've really destroyed a lot that I love about it in the last ten years

This. It's barely recognizable anymore...to me, NFL plays more like arena football anymore, and that's just...:oyvey:

Vegas_Bronco
04-24-2012, 11:59 PM
But the feature back isn't dead because of passing, it's dead because it killed itself. Need I remind you TD himself could only take those kinds of numbers for two years before he burned out. Players are too big and fast, and there's just about nothing you can do to strengthen joints and ligaments in anything remotely resembling an even proportion with what is going on with the rest of the body at the very top of the athletic chain.

Ive heard atlanta strip clubs work those ligaments a lil too well.

Stuck in Cali
04-25-2012, 12:15 AM

TD didn't get burned out, he got his knee jacked up trying to make a tackle cause of a Griese interception. He did everything that he could to comeback from that. Being burned out was not the case.

Bacchus
04-25-2012, 12:46 AM

TD did not "burn out" he blew up his knee after a Griese interception. That is a very big difference.

BroncoMan4ever
04-25-2012, 12:53 AM

TD didn't burn out. in 99 he started slow because we had Griese as our QB and teams decided to bring 8 into the box to stop the real offensive threat on the team and force Griese to beat them through the air. Then he had an unfortunate injury which proceeded to get worse over time. also he didn't just take a lot of carries the 2 years prior. over his 1st 4 seasons he averaged about 336 carries a season. if TD doesn't get injured on that INT by Griese, he more than likely would have owned every major rushing record in the NFL and been a 1st ballot undisputed hall of famer.

TD was one of the last great feature backs.

Agamemnon
04-25-2012, 01:07 AM
TD didn't burn out. in 99 he started slow because we had Griese as our QB and teams decided to bring 8 into the box to stop the real offensive threat on the team and force Griese to beat them through the air. Then he had an unfortunate injury which proceeded to get worse over time. also he didn't just take a lot of carries the 2 years prior. over his 1st 4 seasons he averaged about 336 carries a season. if TD doesn't get injured on that INT by Griese, he more than likely would have owned every major rushing record in the NFL and been a 1st ballot undisputed hall of famer.

TD was one of the last great feature backs.

While I agree with your sentiment regarding how great he was, TD actually had a history of injuries before he came into the NFL, and it simply came home to roost eventually. I really don't think TD was ever going to have the longevity necessary to achieve what you are saying, even if that one fateful play never happened.

BroncoMan4ever
04-25-2012, 01:44 AM
While I agree with your sentiment regarding how great he was, TD actually had a history of injuries before he came into the NFL, and it simply came home to roost eventually. I really don't think TD was ever going to have the longevity necessary to achieve what you are saying, even if that one fateful play never happened.

there was the hamstring tear that he aggravated while at Georgia that derailed his senior season and the migraines but besides those, what else did he have that could be believed to be a history of injuries?

extralife
04-25-2012, 01:50 AM
while their are twelve people telling me TD didn't burn out, he most certainly did. he didn't retire after that day in '99. he came back and sustained just about every running back injury he possibly could before he called it quits.

but don't get hung up on the terminology--the point is that if you are a "feature back" in today's NFL, you will inevitable have your Griese moment.

fontaine
04-25-2012, 05:38 AM
while their are twelve people telling me TD didn't burn out, he most certainly did. he didn't retire after that day in '99. he came back and sustained just about every running back injury he possibly could before he called it quits.

but don't get hung up on the terminology--the point is that if you are a "feature back" in today's NFL, you will inevitable have your Griese moment.

As opposed to what? Any "other" kind of RB who's average career span is 2 two 3 years?

Mojo Drew, Ray Rice, Michael Turner, Chris Johnson etc have been booming out 300 attempt seasons for the past while.

It's another thing entirely that offenses are gearing more towards the passing game and the quality of OL play has gone down but there are still feature backs that put their work in/work out.

Broncos_OTM
04-25-2012, 06:04 AM
TD didn't get burned out, he got his knee jacked up trying to make a tackle cause of a Griese interception. He did everything that he could to comeback from that. Being burned out was not the case.

sad but true, my only game I ever attended live. I minded him. never went back

2KBack
04-25-2012, 06:20 AM
TD did not "burn out" he blew up his knee after a Griese interception. That is a very big difference.

I do believe the degenerative condition was actually in the opposite knee that sustained the torn ACL. Now it's possible that the compensation from the repaired knee might have been the catalyst for future injuries, but that is unproven. The facto of the matter is....TD was ridden into the ground his first few years of his career. It was part of what made him great, but IMO it was unsustainable. Running backs almost to a man are less effective after 400 carry seasons, with playoffs TD had those back to back.

maher_tyler
04-25-2012, 06:32 AM
Realistically, he probably had 2-3 good years left. Which would have been nice...my favorite bronco of all time.

Broncos_OTM
04-25-2012, 06:38 AM
Realistically, he probably had 2-3 good years left. Which would have been nice...my favorite bronco of all time.

definitely one of my face, Steve at water and meck share that title for me

houghtam
04-25-2012, 08:10 AM
I do believe the degenerative condition was actually in the opposite knee that sustained the torn ACL. Now it's possible that the compensation from the repaired knee might have been the catalyst for future injuries, but that is unproven. The facto of the matter is....TD was ridden into the ground his first few years of his career. It was part of what made him great, but IMO it was unsustainable. Running backs almost to a man are less effective after 400 carry seasons, with playoffs TD had those back to back.

The ACL didn't end his career, at least not right away, if at all.

If I remember correctly it was the ACL on one leg, then there was a foot injury on the other, then there was a stress fracture on the same side, and then he had microfracture surgery.

It's possible these were related to the ACL, but I don't recall it ever being said definitively...he could have just as easily broken down, like RBs do.

Taco John
04-25-2012, 08:12 AM

This is false. He was forced to retire due to his other knee that needed microfracture surgery. TD had a degenerative joint condition. His body couldn't take much more of the punishment.

BroncoInferno
04-25-2012, 08:19 AM
This is false. He was forced to retire due to his other knee that needed microfracture surgery. TD had a degenerative joint condition. His body couldn't take much more of the punishment.

Exactly. Many people don't realize that it was NOT the ACL knee that developed the degenerative condition and forced TD to retire. Even without the ACL tear, he was never going to have Emmitt Smith-like longevity.

DBroncos4life
04-25-2012, 08:25 AM
Exactly. Many people don't realize that it was NOT the ACL knee that developed the degenerative condition and forced TD to retire. Even without the ACL tear, he was never going to have Emmitt Smith-like longevity.

It developed because he favored that leg because the other knee was hurt. The cause lead to the effect.

houghtam
04-25-2012, 08:28 AM
It developed because he favored that leg because the other knee was hurt. The cause lead to the effect.

This was the theory, but like I said, I don't believe the experts ever linked the two. I remember it being in question back then, and a Google search right now hasn't so far produced any results.

On one side you have the evidence that Davis tore his ACL and possibly favored the other leg leading to debilitating injuries that ended his career.

On the other, you have evidence that RBs have the shortest career life span in the NFL, and the foot and ankle injuries were never (to my knowledge or memory) linked to the ACL on his other leg.

Could very easily be one or the other.

BroncoInferno
04-25-2012, 08:29 AM

How the hell do you know "why" it developed, Doc? Just pulling that out of your ass. TD had assorted injury issues dating back to college. He was never going to be a 10-12 year guy. That doesn't take anything away from what he accomplished.

Taco John
04-25-2012, 08:30 AM

It developed because he had a degenerative joint condition that made it inevitable. What you are suggesting is moronic. You're making the insinuation that his ACL knee was not fully rehabbed and they sent him out on the field with a weak ACL that forced him to favor his other knee - which then became a problem. This is ignorant. When players come back from ACL injuries, they will most always say that their knee feels stronger than ever because of all the rehab they are put through to get that knee up to shape.

This hookerydookery about favoring the other knee has no truth behind it, and ignores the facts.

DBroncos4life
04-25-2012, 08:31 AM
This was the theory, but like I said, I don't believe the experts ever linked the two. I remember it being in question back then, and a Google search right now hasn't so far produced any results.

On one side you have the evidence that Davis tore his ACL and possibly favored the other leg leading to debilitating injuries that ended his career.

On the other, you have evidence that RBs have the shortest career life span in the NFL, and the foot and ankle injuries were never (to my knowledge or memory) linked to the ACL on his other leg.

TD himself said he favored his other leg and put more stress on it because he didn't trust the other leg.

houghtam
04-25-2012, 08:33 AM
It developed because he had a degenerative joint condition that made it inevitable. What you are suggesting is moronic. You're making the insinuation that his ACL knee was not fully rehabbed and they sent him out on the field with a weak ACL that forced him to favor his other knee - which then became a problem. This is ignorant. When players come back from ACL injuries, they will most always say that their knee feels stronger than ever because of all the rehab they are put through to get that knee up to shape.

This hookerydookery about favoring the other knee has no truth behind it, and ignores the fact.

I don't think that's what he's saying, exactly. Or at least I hope not.

I do seem to remember people in the media saying that although the knee is 100%, Davis may not have 100% confidence in it, which is why he's favoring it.

But I'm still searching...can't find any real evidence that the two are related.

BroncoInferno
04-25-2012, 08:34 AM
TD himself said he favored his other leg and put more stress on it because he didn't trust the other leg.

Regardless of what TD said, Taco is right. TD had a degenerative joint condition unrelated to the ACL in the other leg that made his physical decline inevitable. You don't develop a degenerative joint by slightly favoring one leg over the other. The "favoring the other leg" stuff is psuedo-medicine.

Taco John
04-25-2012, 08:38 AM
I don't think that's what he's saying, exactly. Or at least I hope not.

I do seem to remember people in the media saying that although the knee is 100%, Davis may not have 100% confidence in it, which is why he's favoring it.

But I'm still searching...can't find any real evidence that the two are related.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/archive/t-237937.html

DBroncos4life
04-25-2012, 08:45 AM
Regardless of what TD said, Taco is right. TD had a degenerative joint condition unrelated to the ACL in the other leg that made his physical decline inevitable. You don't develop a degenerative joint by slightly favoring one leg over the other. The "favoring the other leg" stuff is psuedo-medicine.

Dude the degenerative joint was made worse because of the added stress due to him placing more weight on the none injured knee.

http://www.och.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=145&Itemid=25

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001460/

BroncoInferno
04-25-2012, 09:00 AM
Dude the degenerative joint was made worse because of the added stress due to him placing more weight on the none injured knee.

http://www.och.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=145&Itemid=25

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001460/

I'm not sure why you posted those two links, because neither establishes the correlation you are claiming. In any case, you acknowledge that the degenerative joint condition already existed, but claim that favoring the dengerative knee exacerbated the issue. Even if that were true (and, again, no correlation has been demonstrated), you talking about a year or two at the most. No one is going to have a long career with a degenerative joint. That's why DaQuan Bowers fell so far in the draft last year. He has a degenerative knee condition. It's a ticking time bomb, and most teams doubt that his career will go beyond his rookie contract, if that.

DB-Freak
05-10-2012, 08:06 PM
what a depressing thread...

My favorite player of all time.

I still remember those chunky soup commercials.

BroncoMan4ever
05-10-2012, 09:35 PM
what a depressing thread...

My favorite player of all time.

I still remember those chunky soup commercials.

Same here. Met the dude when I was 11 and his rookie year just ended. Greatest Bronco moment of my life

ppablo
05-11-2012, 07:09 AM
TD= HOF... he had the best 3 years of any RB in NFL... this is one of my favorite broncos and thanks to him we got 2 rings out of it

BroncoLifer
05-11-2012, 07:54 AM
TD postseason stats:

8 games, 204-1140 yds, 12 touchdowns, MVP of SB 32 (see my avatar).

Yep, TD could break off 2,000 yards - in a season of playoff games.

gunns
05-11-2012, 10:44 AM

On the other, Byou have evidence that RBs have the shortest career life span in the NFL, and the foot and ankle injuries were never (to my knowledge or memory) linked to the ACL on his other leg.

Could very easily be one or the other.

I think the average "life span" of a RB in the NFL is 4 years.

ZONA
05-12-2012, 12:02 AM
Who cares what caused him to eventually call it quits. Let's just remember what a total stud he was for the time we had him. He's a HUGE reason why the Broncos won back to back Superbowls.

......................A HUGE reason.

Stuck in Cali
05-12-2012, 12:29 AM
Who cares what caused him to eventually call it quits. Let's just remember what a total stud he was for the time we had him. He's a HUGE reason why the Broncos won back to back Superbowls.

......................A HUGE reason.

I agree with ya. From what he did from is rookie year up to his retirement, he earned a his spot in the H.O.F. What he accomplished in that time few have done, even if you take the S.B. wins away, and just judge him on stats alone.

Of course I am biased, but its all there in the numbers, in my opinion.

KipCorrington25
05-12-2012, 12:53 AM
No, HOF is that guy who played for NE and the Jets who was so mediocre I can't remember his name.

errand
05-12-2012, 11:11 AM
No, HOF is that guy who played for NE and the Jets who was so mediocre I can't remember his name.

The problem TD will have getting into the HoF is how other RB's with less talent had big seasons running in Denver.

Olandis Gary....Mike Anderson....Reuben Droughns....Tatum Bell all excelled running in the zbs...

And the one season where we had several RB's start, all of them averaged over 4.0 yards and we ranked 12th in rushing.

DBroncos4life
05-12-2012, 11:49 AM

Curtis Martin belongs in the HOF. Mediocre RBs don't rush for 10 straight thousand yard seasons.

I seriously don't understand why people feel the need to trash other HOF RBs to make Davis look better. Davis should get in the HOF sooner or later.

Atwater His Ass
05-12-2012, 03:37 PM
Curtis Martin belongs in the HOF.

Stopped reading right there. It's not the hall of very good or hall of consistency.

There's no one that can honestly that Curtis Martin was the best back of his generation. He's not even in the discussion.

TheReverend
05-12-2012, 03:42 PM
Stopped reading right there. It's not the hall of very good or hall of consistency.

There's no one that can honestly that Curtis Martin was the best back of his generation. He's not even in the discussion.

Very few people in the Hall were their position's "Best of the Generation"...

DBroncos4life
05-12-2012, 03:51 PM

Lol 4th in NFL history in rushing. 3rd in career rushing attempts. He finished in the top 10 in rushing 7 of his NFL seasons, top 2 four of his seasons. 8th in all purpose yards. Martin is one of the best RBs during his playing days and that is reflected in his stats.

gyldenlove
05-12-2012, 04:13 PM
Very few people in the Hall were their position's "Best of the Generation"...

If it was the hall of "best of the generation" there would be no more than 60 people in it.

Curtis Martin belongs, Eddie George, Warrick Dunn and Fred Taylor do not, but Martin does. Emmitt Smith had one more 1000 yard rushing season than Martin but worse reception numbers - Smith also played on a better team for much of his career than Martin did.

Cito Pelon
05-12-2012, 08:12 PM

Yeah, when people quote stats often they forget that playoff stats are a separate category.

Tyrell Jones
05-12-2012, 08:36 PM
Terrell is the greatest running back ever.

Cito Pelon
05-12-2012, 08:54 PM
Lol 4th in NFL history in rushing. 3rd in career rushing attempts. He finished in the top 10 in rushing 7 of his NFL seasons, top 2 four of his seasons. 8th in all purpose yards. Martin is one of the best RBs during his playing days and that is reflected in his stats.

Yeah, it would be difficult to leave Curtis Martin out in the cold. He was 4.0 YPC for his career, so that is interesting, but the YSCM is up there at over 17k.

Arguing against him is like how people used to argue Floyd Little was not HOF worthy because he was at 3.9 YPC, but Little had the huge total numbers as an RB, kick returner, and punt returner.