PDA

View Full Version : Elway Ha!

Rohirrim
04-24-2012, 01:40 PM
Didn't see this posted. Watching Sports Center and they had Elway on. They asked him the Broncos' draft strategy. He said going by need is a bad strategy and rarely works out. The Broncos want players that provide an "immediate" impact. They will look at a combination of need and impact, but impact comes first.

Then, they asked him if he ever looks at media or mock drafts. Elway replied, "That's all we look at. There's some great stuff out there."

Long pause...

Straight face...

Laugh, "No, but really..." :rofl:

Chris
04-24-2012, 01:43 PM
DON'T USE MY MOCK JOHN

Rohirrim
04-24-2012, 01:46 PM
You could hear the guys in the media room freeze for a moment.

pricejj
04-24-2012, 02:01 PM
DMac asked, "How many guys are on your draft board?" Elway replied, "I could tell ya, but I'd have to kill ya."

Hilarious!

Smiling Assassin27
04-24-2012, 02:03 PM
DMac asked, "How many guys are on your draft board?" Elway replied, "I could tell ya, but I'd have to kill ya."

Hilarious!

John: a HELL of a lot more than that moron McDaniels had on his, i can tell you that!

baja
04-24-2012, 02:12 PM
I'm liking Elway more and more as the head shot caller for the Broncos.

BroncoMan4ever
04-24-2012, 02:38 PM
John: a HELL of a lot more than that moron McDaniels had on his, i can tell you that!

that is one thing with the draft that Mcdaniels did that I liked. granted he was a ****ty talent evaluator, it just seemed to make more sense to me.

i never understood why teams would have lists of hundreds of guys they were targeting. to me that just seems like you are just looking at a list of all available players and saying i like that guy most, whereas the smaller list says, these are the guys i have marked as potential Broncos.

Powderaddict
04-24-2012, 02:39 PM
I heart John Elway.

vancejohnson82
04-24-2012, 02:49 PM

so around seven?

s0phr0syne
04-24-2012, 02:58 PM
that is one thing with the draft that Mcdaniels did that I liked. granted he was a ****ty talent evaluator, it just seemed to make more sense to me.

i never understood why teams would have lists of hundreds of guys they were targeting. to me that just seems like you are just looking at a list of all available players and saying i like that guy most, whereas the smaller list says, these are the guys i have marked as potential Broncos.

Sounds nice in theory sure, but look what the results were. Abysmal.

gunns
04-24-2012, 03:07 PM

They probably list the best to the worst because if you think about it, they have 6-7 picks and between each of those picks, 31 guys can disappear. Often it looks like in the end they are just throwing a name out there and they probably are.

I though McD's drafts sucked, made no sense at all to me, except that he seemed to be another Shanahan, load up on the offense.

Agamemnon
04-24-2012, 03:11 PM
His focus on immediate impact is yet one more bit of proof that we aren't going to be drafting a DT. DT is arguably the worst position in the game when it comes to immediate impact.

Bacchus
04-24-2012, 03:20 PM
His focus on immediate impact is yet one more bit of proof that we aren't going to be drafting a DT. DT is arguably the worst position in the game when it comes to immediate impact.

You are right. Compare the DTs available at #1 and round #2 and round #3. Not much of a difference and the bust rate for DTs is very high.

I am interested in seeing what the best available player is going to look like at #25.

Archer81
04-24-2012, 03:25 PM
What number do you think Fleener will take?

:Broncos:

BroncoMan4ever
04-24-2012, 03:26 PM
They probably list the best to the worst because if you think about it, they have 6-7 picks and between each of those picks, 31 guys can disappear. Often it looks like in the end they are just throwing a name out there and they probably are.

I though McD's drafts sucked, made no sense at all to me, except that he seemed to be another Shanahan, load up on the offense.

i agree completely that McDaniels drafts sucked. i just wonder if that was due to his limited list of prospects leading up to the draft or because he was kind of a ****ty talent evaluator

BroncoMan4ever
04-24-2012, 03:27 PM
What number do you think Fleener will take?

i don't know how i would feel about taking Fleener after we dumped over 20 million on the position this offseason and 2 draft picks last year.

backup qb
04-24-2012, 03:29 PM
i agree completely that McDaniels drafts sucked. i just wonder if that was due to his limited list of prospects leading up to the draft or because he was kind of a ****ty talent evaluator

It was/is because he is the worst thing to ever happen to the broncos/NFL/humanity.

backup qb
04-24-2012, 03:30 PM
I want Kuechly but it will never happen.

Rohirrim
04-24-2012, 03:31 PM
i don't know how i would feel about taking Fleener after we dumped over 20 million on the position this offseason and 2 draft picks last year.

Yeah, but Harbaugh really used Fleener as an XYZ receiver. The Broncos might not really be looking at him as strictly a TE.

Archer81
04-24-2012, 03:31 PM

It's a nagging feeling in the back of my head. Denver got shredded by TE's in both NE games. Elway had "the guy" at TE in Sharpe. Manning had Clark in Indi. I would not be surprised or really upset if Fleener is the pick. I'd prefer defensive tackle, but if Elway is saying "impact player" then it's doubtful we pick up a Suh-type at 25.

Kaylore
04-24-2012, 03:56 PM
BPA is the way to go to.

Wes Mantooth
04-24-2012, 03:58 PM

It only works if the guys that you do look at are worth a d@mn.

ludo21
04-24-2012, 04:14 PM
i like Fleener, but cannot see Denver taking him...

(which means it is going to happen)

Lestat
04-24-2012, 05:05 PM
the closer we get to the draft the more it seems that CB or LB is gonna be the pick. immediate impact doesn't describe WR, not really TE either, definitely not DT.

Agamemnon
04-25-2012, 02:16 AM
the closer we get to the draft the more it seems that CB or LB is gonna be the pick. immediate impact doesn't describe WR, not really TE either, definitely not DT.

I would say RB is much more likely than CB. CB is not a consistent "immediate impact" position. Only RB and LB fit that description really, and they are both positions of need to boot. Fox also has a history of favoring both positions for what it's worth.

BroncoMan4ever
04-25-2012, 02:53 AM
It's a nagging feeling in the back of my head. Denver got shredded by TE's in both NE games. Elway had "the guy" at TE in Sharpe. Manning had Clark in Indi. I would not be surprised or really upset if Fleener is the pick. I'd prefer defensive tackle, but if Elway is saying "impact player" then it's doubtful we pick up a Suh-type at 25.

i get that feeling that by impact player we may very well end up taking a guy like Lamar Miller or Stephen Hill. a RB with good speed and a good receiver out of the backfield would be a nice toy for Manning and an awesome potential deep threat with good size for the team. imagine potential jumbo packages the team could use with DT, Decker, Hill, Dreesen and Tamme on the field. all 6'3" and taller and 215lbs or heavier. that is jump ball heaven for a QB.

BroncoMan4ever
04-25-2012, 02:57 AM
I would say RB is much more likely than CB. CB is not a consistent "immediate impact" position. Only RB and LB fit that description really, and they are both positions of need to boot. Fox also has a history of favoring both positions for what it's worth.

what about a Lamar Miller in the 1st and Lavonte David/Zach Brown/Babby Wagner in the 2nd?

and any of the 3 LBs could replace DJ who i seriously believe is in the last of his time in Denver.

Broncoman13
04-25-2012, 05:24 AM
BPA is the way to go to.

I Agree. BPA at CB, DT, RB, or WOLB. :)

I don't think Brockers will fall. Cowboys interested in Barron and Brockers. Barron likely already OTB.

I think Kirkpatrick will be OTB as well. Better hope someone wants to trade up for Weeden or Fleener. I also think that a guy like Shea Mac could get some play at the 25 spot.

Broncos need playmakers. Take a look at KC. That team is a QB shy of being very competitve. They invested a lot of picks in guys like Bowe, Charles, McCluster, Baldwin, etc.

It makes me nervous to pay $18m to Manning on not give him weapons and depth with the known injury risk of the current #1 receiver. Have to add some playmakers to the mix. Even if its LaMichael in the 2nd, Broyles in the 4th, and Hilton in the 5th. 1st on Kirkpatrick or Brockers. 3rd on Flemming or Wolfe.

I say James b/c of the versatility and the fact that a 1b guy could already be on the roster in Fanin. James gives you a Percy Harvin like playmaker. Not quite as big, but better cutter/quick twitch guy.

I have warmed on Kirkpatrick, but I think he would be an upgrade to Nickel. Not sure he will ever take over as a 1 or 2. I don't like all the baggage Jenkins has, but if he falls to the third, you have to consider him. He has the potential to be a #1 guy. We took Marcus Thomas under similar circumstance. Never a world beater, but he has stayed relatively clean... Though not ultra productive.

Vegas_Bronco
04-25-2012, 06:21 AM
John if youre reading this...this is one draft we need you to put your nose down and helicopter.

Rohirrim
04-25-2012, 07:47 AM
I don't know how many watched Parcell's show on ESPN last night but I found it very instructive. One of the points he brought up was how the league is becoming so pass-happy that he would want to put three CBs (who could all play man) and one safety (with cover skills) in a base formation, rather than using a nickle (so he could maintain the rush up front), because of how common the three receiver set is (especially on first down). He said if you're stuck playing zone all the time you're screwed. The QBs are too good. (He also gave an instructive talk on how difficult it is to find enough good coverage CBs - one of his complaints is that too many inner city schools are creating point guards instead of CBs ;D) He also thinks a DT can be an immediate impact player IF that DT can play one-gap and force the QB to drop back farther, making him vulnerable to the outside pass rush. If there is one thing that makes a QB uncomfortable, it's when they can't step up to avoid the rush.

I think this would be the biggest impact the Broncos could get, since they already have Dumervil and Von Miller. If they could get a guy who can simply push back the pocket, or better yet, rush up the middle. IMO, that's the key these days. QBs are getting too good, and the rules are in their favor. The pass rush is just as important, or even more important, than the coverage. I guess that's the old argument, does the pass rush make the coverage better, or does the coverage make the pass rush better? Probably a little of both. But I figure, if the QB is on the ground, the coverage can save their energy. Of course, Parcells has always preferred the pass rush from the big guys. I'm with him on that one. ;D

BTW, Parcells had a lot of those DTs on his board in the first round.

WolfpackGuy
04-25-2012, 08:03 AM
If they could get a guy who can simply push back the pocket, or better yet, rush up the middle.

Damn straight.

The Pats probably did the best job of anybody of steering Miller and Dumervil around the pocket.

There was NO push up the middle into Brady's face in the two games last year.

Bigdawg26
04-25-2012, 08:53 AM
I bet it's going to be a corner! In his presser he admitted that the broncos D was exposed were they were spread out. So, I bet if Kirkpatrick is there that's going to be the pick.

Rohirrim
04-25-2012, 08:57 AM
Fletcher Cox would be the premium guy for the Broncos, but I'm afraid he's out of reach.

alkemical
04-25-2012, 08:59 AM
This is Southstandsjunkie's shot!

Rohirrim
04-25-2012, 01:44 PM
Anybody else catch Elway talking about how they do a bunch of different mocks in an effort to prepare for whatever happens?

broncswin
04-25-2012, 01:54 PM
Anybody else catch Elway talking about how they do a bunch of different mocks in an effort to prepare for whatever happens?

sounds like fantasy football mocks...lol...they probably have a program set up to do just that