Michael Brockers
Dre Kirkpatrick
Michael Floyd
David DeCastro
Quinton Couples

Who do you pick and why?

v2micca
04-24-2012, 04:56 AM
My Brother is a huge LSU homer. So, I got to watch a lot of their games this past season. Brockers didn't put up any flashy numbers. He simply did his job by absorbing double-team after double-team, clog up the middle and free up his fellow D linemen and Linebackers to make plays. I know some will argue that his college tape is inflated because he played next to so many other great players. I argue that his team mates benefited more from his presence than the other way around. This kid is no where near his ceiling and he is still pretty good right now. He's coachable, has a decent work ethic and fills a huge need. If he drops to 25, I hope the Broncos front office sprints to the table with his name.

Dedhed
04-24-2012, 06:06 AM
So in a hypothetical scenario where these five players are available at #25:

Michael Brockers
Dre Kirkpatrick
Michael Floyd
David DeCastro
Quinton Couples

Who do you pick and why?I would go with DeCastro, and its an easy choice. By far the BPA in that group, and interior OL is a huge concern/weakness for this team. DeCastro would immediately upgrade Beadles.

I have major concerns about every other player on that list.

The order of the rest would be:
Floyd
Kirkpatrick
Brockers
Coples

socalorado
04-24-2012, 06:10 AM
DeCastro. Easy pick over the rest. HUGE upgrade.
Although i think Floyd is gonna be a beast. Too many red flags there.

CEH
04-24-2012, 06:23 AM
Teams build their draft board in steps. I think Floyd would be in a step above with the other 4 grouped the next step down. JMO. If Elway really said BPA I'd always select the higher step player which I think would be Floyd

My fav is Kirk however

Nice thread to talk about need vs BPA

Drek
04-24-2012, 06:27 AM
Nice thread to talk about need vs BPA

Got the idea for it after looking at a bunch of mocks that have all of these guys going anywhere from the early teens to the early 20's.

So much volatility on exactly where each one of them could go, it wouldn't take much in the way of an upset to put more than one of them on the board when we're selecting. #25 looks like a pretty solid value spot to be drafting at this year.

If someone like Chandler Jones, Shea McClellin, Harrison Smith, Nick Perry, Kendall Wright, or Doug Martin go before us (any or all of whom could) we might have some nice sliders coming our way.

cmhargrove
04-24-2012, 06:31 AM
DeCastro, and I didn't even have to think about it.

We are now the Peyton Manning Broncos, and our season lies in the hands of the offense while we once again rebuild the defense. Protect your $96 million dollar toy first. Learn how to score 30-40 points a game so you can hang with any team in the league.

The defense will come along, and if the offense really makes huge strides this year, I could see Bowlen finally bidding on some top defensive free agents next year to get over the hump.

DeCastro because he's the one guy I see that could already make the pro-bowl his rookie year, and should be an anchor for years to come.

Gcver2ver3
04-24-2012, 06:34 AM
The bpa of that bunch to me is coples...

He has slid on draft boards, he was a top 10 projected pick and many peoples top d lineman... but no way he last to #25...

But if he did, he has to be the pick... he has potential to be a game changing player on defense... adding that to miller and doom would be out of this world...

Dedhed
04-24-2012, 06:35 AM
Teams build their draft board in steps. I think Floyd would be in a step above with the other 4 grouped the next step down. JMO. If Elway really said BPA I'd always select the higher step player which I think would be Floyd

My fav is Kirk however

Nice thread to talk about need vs BPAI don't think the #1 player at a position of great value (DeCastro) would be grouped in a second tier.

Drek
04-24-2012, 06:39 AM
DeCastro, and I didn't even have to think about it.

We are now the Peyton Manning Broncos, and our season lies in the hands of the offense while we once again rebuild the defense. Protect your $96 million dollar toy first. Learn how to score 3-40 points a game so you can hang with any team in the league.

The defense will come along, and if the offense really makes huge strides this year, I could see Bowlen finally bidding on some top defensive free agents next year to get over the hump.

DeCastro because he's the one guy I see that could already make the pro-bowl his rookie year, and should be an anchor for years to come.

The immediate impact DeCastro offers is appealing, sure. But if the goal is to give Manning an all world offense out of the gate then what is the better path to that end:

DeCastro + Ryan Broyles or Michael Floyd + Kelechi Osemele?

To clarify, I like Decker out wide but I personally think his skill set could be dominant as a slot guy. He's quicker than fast and is a good hands catcher. He's the kind of guy who can work the 5-15 yard range between the hashes like a 6'3" Wes Welker in the right system if you ask me.

Just playing devil's advocate here. You can see my choice, I believe all polls should be public. :)

Bmore Manning
04-24-2012, 07:27 AM
Great great topic

This is extremely difficult to answer..
DeCastro is immensely talented, but Peyton has made his line work with far lesser quality guards..
Floyd is so talented and would be a stud on the outside.. Peyton has been successful with far less..

Now, in Peyton's tenure in Indy their Achilles heal has been their defense, in particular, their run D this gives me a natural bias to defense.
Kirpatrick has potential to be a great physical corner, it depends on scheme, but right now Kirpatrick would have Nickel CB duties.
Brockers is far and away the most impressive DT I have seen on film. I think he can be stout against the run, handle double teams, relentlessly pursue the QB or ball carrier, and push the pocket.

Ideally I wound want defensive pieces, since Indy didn't feel they needed a defense, but I also want the BPA who will have the most impact on the team in the short and long term. I think a good NT can be had in a round after one, same goes with a corner, especially if they are going to use more zone. A good Guard and WR can also be had in rounds after one..

This is not an easy decision, I would lean more towards DeCastro or Floyd if this was the scenario, what a luck scenario it would be..
So you said DeCastro and Broyles or Floyd and Kelechi (someone else)
That's not even as cut and dry because if they run ZBS a lesser Guard will suffice.

Man bro if only I had Micky Loumis listening devices in the building!

Rohirrim
04-24-2012, 07:30 AM
DeCastro. Without a doubt. He comes right in and starts, and locks up the LG position for 12 years or more.

Rohirrim
04-24-2012, 07:32 AM
The bpa of that bunch to me is coples...

He has slid on draft boards, he was a top 10 projected pick and many peoples top d lineman... but no way he last to #25...

But if he did, he has to be the pick... he has potential to be a game changing player on defense... adding that to miller and doom would be out of this world...

After watching that interview with Coples on NFLN last week, I wouldn't even have him on my board.

The guy was stoned. Believe me, I've been stoned a few times in my day, and that dude was major league stoned.

Gcver2ver3
04-24-2012, 07:35 AM
After watching that interview with Coples on NFLN last week, I wouldn't even have him on my board.

The guy was stoned. Believe me, I've been stoned a few times in my day, and that dude was major league stoned.

Interesting...

I didnt see that...

Rohirrim
04-24-2012, 07:37 AM
The immediate impact DeCastro offers is appealing, sure. But if the goal is to give Manning an all world offense out of the gate then what is the better path to that end:

DeCastro + Ryan Broyles or Michael Floyd + Kelechi Osemele?

To clarify, I like Decker out wide but I personally think his skill set could be dominant as a slot guy. He's quicker than fast and is a good hands catcher. He's the kind of guy who can work the 5-15 yard range between the hashes like a 6'3" Wes Welker in the right system if you ask me.

Just playing devil's advocate here. You can see my choice, I believe all polls should be public. :)

Harbaugh had Luck, sure. But where did he kill on offense? That running game. He made Marecic and Gerhart into stars. As Elway pointed out, there's no protection for an old QB like a kick ass running game. DeCastro blows holes through the line a truck could clear.

Mat'hir Uth Gan
04-24-2012, 07:42 AM
I'm taking Floyd. He's the best talent of them all. Keep Decker in the slot, now we have three excellent WRs, all with size and speed. If we're in Manning, win-now, mode, there is no other option.

ColoradoBuff
04-24-2012, 07:57 AM
Dre....he would solidify our CB need and we should be set there for awhile!

TonyR
04-24-2012, 08:14 AM
I don't think the #1 player at a position of great value (DeCastro) would be grouped in a second tier.

Unless he's the best of a poor bunch. In other words, in a year where there aren't many good players at a particular position the top guy at that position is likely to get over drafted. I'm not saying that's the case with DeCastro, just that the best player at any specific position isn't automatically "first tier".

Gcver2ver3
04-24-2012, 08:18 AM
Unless he's the best of a poor bunch. In other words, in a year where there aren't many good players at a particular position the top guy at that position is likely to get over drafted. I'm not saying that's the case with DeCastro, just that the best player at any specific position isn't automatically "first tier".

Good point...

Rohirrim
04-24-2012, 08:22 AM

I've heard some coaches drooling over DeCastro's game. He's definitely the real deal. Which is why he doesn't make it to 25.

TheReverend
04-24-2012, 08:44 AM
Coples.

Much as I love Dre, Coples is a hyper-talented BEAST who's shown the versatility to play ANY position along a 4-3 defensive line.

Not to mention all of Coples proposed "weaknesses" are things that our current coaching staff EXCEL at getting out of players.

Sadly, he'll be long gone by our selection.

Requiem
04-24-2012, 08:45 AM
All you need to do is look at the OM Mock Draft for my answer. :)

DBroncos4life
04-24-2012, 11:22 AM
Got the idea for it after looking at a bunch of mocks that have all of these guys going anywhere from the early teens to the early 20's.

So much volatility on exactly where each one of them could go, it wouldn't take much in the way of an upset to put more than one of them on the board when we're selecting. #25 looks like a pretty solid value spot to be drafting at this year.

If someone like Chandler Jones, Shea McClellin, Harrison Smith, Nick Perry, Kendall Wright, or Doug Martin go before us (any or all of whom could) we might have some nice sliders coming our way.

Chandler Jones would be the guy I want.

OBF1
04-24-2012, 01:47 PM
DeCastro hands down... He is the best at his position by far, The others are not.

gyldenlove
04-24-2012, 01:51 PM
I would go with DeCastro, and its an easy choice. By far the BPA in that group, and interior OL is a huge concern/weakness for this team. DeCastro would immediately upgrade Beadles.

I have major concerns about every other player on that list.

The order of the rest would be:
Floyd
Kirkpatrick
Brockers
Coples

DeCastro easily, he may be the best guard prospect to come out since Hutchinson, with him and Kuper we will be dominant on the interior line - he is also BPA and absolutely huge value.

2nd would be Floyd, huge value as well, would form an extremely strong trio with Decker and Thomas.

RunSilentRunDeep
04-24-2012, 02:07 PM
Brockers!!!! I think he's gone in the top 15 picks. People are getting too caught up in the fact he's not a bigtime pass rusher. He's 21 with two years of college ball! You can't coach 6-5, a slim 310 and 35-inch arms.

He'll be a fine pass rusher in time. I'd use whatever pick they're going to waste on a developmental QB to move up and get him. Then I'd hire Jumpy Geathers to teach in the fork lift.

Agamemnon
04-24-2012, 02:12 PM
DeCastro.

Bacchus
04-24-2012, 02:17 PM
As far as going in an dominating your position DeCastro could be the best player in the draft.

razorwire77
04-24-2012, 02:33 PM
I like all four guys, but if Brockers is there I think positional need trumps all. Does anyone really think Ty Warren is going to play more than 5 games this year, or that Vickerson is going to beast it for 16 games? Best case, even if both guys make it through the year, Denver needs rotational depth and youth to develop on the line.

Rohirrim
04-24-2012, 02:39 PM
The more I think about it, the more I realize that if DeCastro gets as far as the Steelers, there's no way in hell he gets to us.

Dr. Broncenstein
04-24-2012, 03:03 PM
Kirkpatrick. He's just nasty.

elsid13
04-24-2012, 03:33 PM
DeCastro- extremely polished Guard that steps in and he starts day one.

Then it is toss up between Coples and Brockers, whatever one fits the culture better in Denver. Floyd and Kirkpatrick are off the list, because I think you can same or better production later in the draft.