PDA

View Full Version : OT: Pimsleur method of learning a foreign language

OrangeSe7en
04-22-2012, 08:20 PM
...has anyone tried it? It's supposed to be taught in a way that children learn, which is to say, it's taught without memorizing out of a text book. Has anyone tried this? I'm thinking about learning French.

Requiem
04-22-2012, 08:20 PM
You aren't smart enough to learn a foreign language. Don't try man.

OrangeSe7en
04-22-2012, 08:22 PM
You aren't smart enough to learn a foreign language. Don't try man.

This is based on what?

Requiem
04-22-2012, 08:24 PM
This is based on what?

God spoke to me.

OrangeSe7en
04-22-2012, 08:27 PM
God spoke to me.

It must have been the Greek god of stupidity.

Shananahan
04-22-2012, 08:30 PM
http://mlkshk.com/r/E59N

Requiem
04-22-2012, 08:31 PM

You are the Koalemos here.

Chris
04-22-2012, 08:36 PM
...has anyone tried it? It's supposed to be taught in a way that children learn, which is to say, it's taught without memorizing out of a text book. Has anyone tried this? I'm thinking about learning French.

My sources say it is an effective way to learn a language. This can change though, depending on the lunar cycle (my sources say).

Requiem
04-22-2012, 08:39 PM
My sources say it is an effective way to learn a language. This can change though, depending on the lunar cycle (my sources say).

Don't give him any hope. He does not have what it takes. The force is not strong with this one.

houghtam
04-22-2012, 08:41 PM

That's not really an accurate statement, it's simply another marketing approach of one of hundreds of different methods of second language acquisition.

As someone with a degree in a foreign language and who taught at Michigan State for a year, I can say that if you're learning from an audio recording, the best you'll ever get is "fairly comfortable with" the target language.

The thing that is hard to swallow for most adults trying to learn a foreign language in their spare time is that language learning is not really something that can be done "in your spare time"...not very efficiently, anyway. I understand that it's pretty much the only option for people with full time jobs whose employer won't spring for their education, but it's one of those things, and being a subject near and dear to my heart, I'm of the opinion that if you're going to learn a language, you go full bore. 100% of the people that I know who have tried to learn a language on their own have failed to get very far.

If that is your only option (learning on your own via software/audio), then I would suggest Rosetta Stone...that's gotten very good reviews from several different second language acquisition societies, as well as several of my former professors.

If you decide to go full bore, I would suggest Berlitz if there is a language center near you, and even if not, they offer online webinar courses, as well. I used to teach for Berlitz, and the quality of their online instruction was very good. I've also heard nothing but good things about their in-person instruction.

If you really want to do it right, there's this place:

http://www.middlebury.edu/ls

$5000 for a full year's worth of college language credit in only 7 or 9 weeks, with complete immersion. If you go there, you'll come away speaking fluently. Believe me.

Requiem
04-22-2012, 08:44 PM
Houghtam, what other languages do you speak? Klingon?

Bronco_Beerslug
04-22-2012, 08:57 PM
...has anyone tried it? It's supposed to be taught in a way that children learn, which is to say, it's taught without memorizing out of a text book. Has anyone tried this? I'm thinking about learning French.Children can easily learn new languages for the most part, adults will almost always struggle no matter the system or technique. Do You Understand the Words That Are Coming Out of My Mouth? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-twUCEfzrDk)

OrangeSe7en
04-22-2012, 09:08 PM
That's not really an accurate statement, it's simply another marketing approach of one of hundreds of different methods of second language acquisition.

As someone with a degree in a foreign language and who taught at Michigan State for a year, I can say that if you're learning from an audio recording, the best you'll ever get is "fairly comfortable with" the target language.

The thing that is hard to swallow for most adults trying to learn a foreign language in their spare time is that language learning is not really something that can be done "in your spare time"...not very efficiently, anyway. I understand that it's pretty much the only option for people with full time jobs whose employer won't spring for their education, but it's one of those things, and being a subject near and dear to my heart, I'm of the opinion that if you're going to learn a language, you go full bore. 100% of the people that I know who have tried to learn a language on their own have failed to get very far.

If that is your only option (learning on your own via software/audio), then I would suggest Rosetta Stone...that's gotten very good reviews from several different second language acquisition societies, as well as several of my former professors.

If you decide to go full bore, I would suggest Berlitz if there is a language center near you, and even if not, they offer online webinar courses, as well. I used to teach for Berlitz, and the quality of their online instruction was very good. I've also heard nothing but good things about their in-person instruction.

If you really want to do it right, there's this place:

http://www.middlebury.edu/ls

$5000 for a full year's worth of college language credit in only 7 or 9 weeks, with complete immersion. If you go there, you'll come away speaking fluently. Believe me.

Well, truth be told, I already can speak German. French would be my 2nd foreign language. I learned German through the conventional route. I don't necessarily want to be fluent in French but, as they often say, "once you learn your 2nd foreign language, the third is easy.

Chris
04-22-2012, 09:15 PM
Ich habe auch Deutsch aber nicht Franzosich gelernt. Est is so scheis... weil jeder Deutscher am Grosser Stadt Englisch sprechen kann. Vielleicht Franzosich ist besser als Deutsch.

Kaylore
04-22-2012, 09:20 PM
Josina just tweeted "Requiem be dum n tearin dis thread apart."

OrangeSe7en
04-22-2012, 09:21 PM
Ich habe auch Deutsch aber nicht Franzosich gelernt. Est is so scheis... weil jeder Deutscher am Grosser Stadt Englisch sprechen kann. Vielleicht Franzosich ist besser als Deutsch.

Stay strong with the German. It's true that many Germans speak English and for that reason, it seems hopeless/pointless. Just keep going with it. I've been there. Don't sweat it.

As for me in the here and now, I'm looking forward to learning new things. I thought about Italian (as that would be my preference) but I have a significant other who studied French, which is another Romance language. So, I'm tied to French as far as this is concerened.

houghtam
04-22-2012, 09:29 PM

Genau. Als wir in München im 2004 waren hat mein Bruder ein Rezept für Medizin bekommen. Wir sind in die Apotheke gegangen, und die Apothekerin hat mir das Medizin gegeben, und hat mir gesagt wie das Medizin zu nehmen. Ich habe es auf English übersetzt, und sie hat mich unterbrochen -- "Maybe I can translate this into English for your brother."

War mir so ernüchternd.

Chris
04-22-2012, 09:32 PM
Stay strong with the German. It's true that many Germans speak English and for that reason, it seems hopeless/pointless. Just keep going with it. I've been there. Don't sweat it.

As for me in the here and now, I'm looking forward to learning new things. I thought about Italian (as that would be my preference) but I have a significant other who studied French, which is another Romance language. So, I'm tied to French as far as this is concerened.

I might be in Berlin for a solid chunk this summer. Possibly my favourite city on the planet (Stockholm for the girls). I grew up in a German International School teaching an English curriculum... of all the weird combos. My German stopped when the adjective endings got ridiculous and we had the choice of passing "Sprachdiplom" to qualify for Uni in Germany. It's been downhill ever since.

When I'm in Germany it comes back and there's a vast vocabulary... but any grammar I have is subconscious :|

houghtam
04-22-2012, 09:33 PM
Well, truth be told, I already can speak German. French would be my 2nd foreign language. I learned German through the conventional route. I don't necessarily want to be fluent in French but, as they often say, "once you learn your 2nd foreign language, the third is easy.

Well what I said applies to language acquisition in general, not just German. In addition to German, I had 12 years Latin, 2 years Greek and 1 year French. Language acquisition for western languages (and romance languages in particular) is more or less the same for each language. If you've already learned a second language, sure...Just about any program you get will help you out, since you already have a basis from which to build.

Good luck.

Archer81
04-22-2012, 09:34 PM
Best way to learn a language is to go where its spoken.

Immersion. You learn quick that way.

:Broncos:

OrangeSe7en
04-22-2012, 09:34 PM
Genau. Als wir in München im 2004 waren hat mein Bruder ein Rezept für Medizin bekommen. Wir sind in die Apotheke gegangen, und die Apothekerin hat mir das Medizin gegeben, und hat mir gesagt wie das Medizin zu nehmen. Ich habe es auf English übersetzt, und sie hat mich unterbrochen -- "Maybe I can translate this into English for your brother."

War mir so ernüchternd.

Was passiert mit ihrem Bruder? Ich bedeute die Ergebniss.

Chris
04-22-2012, 09:35 PM

War mir so ernüchternd.

LOL Par for the course in Germany.

Anybody here speak mandarin?

OrangeSe7en
04-22-2012, 09:39 PM
Well what I said applies to language acquisition in general, not just German. In addition to German, I had 12 years Latin, 2 years Greek and 1 year French. Language acquisition for western languages (and romance languages in particular) is more or less the same for each language. If you've already learned a second language, sure...Just about any program you get will help you out, since you already have a basis from which to build.

Good luck.

Thanks. When I went to Italy, I was with a friend who could speak Spanish. When we were in Italy, he spoke Spanish and the Italians thought he was skeaking some Italain dialect. I think Italian and Spanish are closer than French though.

As far as German goes, my German is very functional. I wouldn't say it's fluent but that's not necessarily what I'm shooting for at the moment. German, like other langauges, is a hobby. I do it out of enjoyment and I love speaking German. That being said, I'm looking forward to my next foreign language endeavor.

But thanks for your input. I really value what you've said this evening.

extralife
04-22-2012, 09:40 PM
you learn german as an educated language, not a practical one.

Chris
04-22-2012, 09:42 PM

If you like science or a specific type of history. I'm more interested in philosophy and seducing french women. Many German women can be had by the simple ownership of a penis.

Archer81
04-22-2012, 09:44 PM
German is a language where you receieve a 3 paragraph answer for a yes or no question.

OrangeSe7en
04-22-2012, 09:46 PM

Good luck.

Thanks. I lived in Germany 5 years. That's a lot of practice with a solid basis of German going in. What I'm interested in is spreading my wings. If Primsleur taught Swedish, I'd choose to learn Swedish. It's similar to German, afterall. Nevertheless, I want to learn a 2nd foreign language. I've already progressed with French.

OrangeSe7en
04-22-2012, 09:48 PM
If you like science or a specific type of history. I'm more interested in philosophy and seducing french women. Many German women can be had by the simple ownership of a penis.

You don't know French or German women very well.

Chris
04-22-2012, 09:51 PM
You don't know French or German women very well.

French women are amazing once you get them, but there is a real courtship. My NY contingent is for some reason largely made up of French and French Americans... so yes I do. I've also had my share of fun in Paris.

German women are more approachable and very globally conscious. I was merely joking.

Taco John
04-22-2012, 09:54 PM
You can learn languages automatically without prior knowledge in a vaccuum. Zero point language technology is available for people who are awake to it.

houghtam
04-22-2012, 09:55 PM

Is that why they offer German for Business at every major university? I always wondered that.

OrangeSe7en
04-22-2012, 09:56 PM
French women are amazing once you get them, but there is a real courtship. My NY contingent is for some reason largely made up of French and French Americans... so yes I do. I've also had my share of fun in Paris.

German women are more approachable and very globally conscious. I was merely joking.

Well, I have an affection for German women. I've been with several Geman women and I have many fond memories with German women. They're great.

Good luck connecting with French women. I hope to be over there this summer. I'd be visiting Paris by way of Berlin though. I actually want to go to Stockholm more than Paris though.

That One Guy
04-22-2012, 09:58 PM
I think there was a thread not too long ago about implanting chips in mice and giving them artificial memory, essentially. I've taken Spanish, German, and French and found that I hate language. I'll embrace the English dominance of the world while it lasts and hope they have the brain chips figured out for language skills before China takes over.

I admire the pursuit, though. Languages are just such a hassle to be learned periodically such as through a class or something - just as was said above.

houghtam
04-22-2012, 09:58 PM
Was passiert mit ihrem Bruder? Ich bedeute die Ergebniss.

So ein Zufall...ich habe gerade darüber heute Abend in einer Faden gesprochen:

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=105082

That One Guy
04-22-2012, 09:59 PM
German is a language where you receieve a 3 paragraph answer for a yes or no question.

And you wonder if they'll live through the statement. I don't know of any language that sounds more brutal and harsh than German. Much like it's hard for Americans to learn to roll the R, I think you need a punctured lung to get some of the German sounds.

houghtam
04-22-2012, 10:03 PM
I think there was a thread not too long ago about implanting chips in mice and giving them artificial memory, essentially. I've taken Spanish, German, and French and found that I hate language. I'll embrace the English dominance of the world while it lasts and hope they have the brain chips figured out for language skills before China takes over.

I admire the pursuit, though. Languages are just such a hassle to be learned periodically such as through a class or something - just as was said above.

That's a pretty good choice of words right there. In my experience, unless someone has the passion to learn language, you might as well teach them String Theory in Klingon. It's a hassle because language takes repetitive learning, and there is absolutely no way around it.

houghtam
04-22-2012, 10:06 PM
And you wonder if they'll live through the statement. I don't know of any language that sounds more brutal and harsh than German. Much like it's hard for Americans to learn to roll the R, I think you need a punctured lung to get some of the German sounds.

LOL

Another statement I learned about Germans, which more or less holds true, is that the only difference between German tragedy and comedy is that comedy is tragedy with a little smile at the end.

Oh those silly Germans!

Chris
04-22-2012, 10:18 PM
I've never found German hard to pronounce because I learnt it at a young age. Same goes for mandarin and cantonese... but I grew up in that environment.

What I can't do is the spanish R... I'm pathetic at it.

Chris
04-22-2012, 10:21 PM
Well, I have an affection for German women. I've been with several Geman women and I have many fond memories with German women. They're great.

Good luck connecting with French women. I hope to be over there this summer. I'd be visiting Paris by way of Berlin though. I actually want to go to Stockholm more than Paris though.

Pick Stockholm over Paris and stay in Sodermalm. It's a much cooler city. It's also crispy clean in a weird way and as far as tourist attractions goes has THE MOST badass shipwreck you've ever seen in your life (the Vassa). Berlin, for me, is still the coolest because the entire social scene in the east was created in the last 20 years by young people. It's an artist's city still, even as rents go up.

That One Guy
04-22-2012, 10:37 PM
Pick Stockholm over Paris and stay in Sodermalm. It's a much cooler city. It's also crispy clean in a weird way and as far as tourist attractions goes has THE MOST badass shipwreck you've ever seen in your life (the Vassa). Berlin, for me, is still the coolest because the entire social scene in the east was created in the last 20 years by young people. It's an artist's city still, even as rents go up.

Paris=Most overrated city in the world?

If not for some AMAZING donuts I had at Eurodisney back in the day, I'd say that place blows.

Archer81
04-22-2012, 10:38 PM

My logic professor also teaches Latin and already speaks german, spanish and some russian...(getting cursed at in russian is a trip, btw). He demonstrated german and english...in english, we say television. In german, its "device that displays moving pictures and sound". He then said it in German and it was ridiculous.

That One Guy
04-22-2012, 10:49 PM
My logic professor also teaches Latin and already speaks german, spanish and some russian...(getting cursed at in russian is a trip, btw). He demonstrated german and english...in english, we say television. In german, its "device that displays moving pictures and sound". He then said it in German and it was ridiculous.

Haha... I lived in Germany for 3 years but I guess I never picked up any of those type words. That's awesome.

houghtam
04-22-2012, 10:56 PM

That's one of the cool things about German is the way they can describe anything with compound nouns. There isn't a single concept that can't be described. For example, the first word for "tank" (as in the military vehicle) was not "Panzer", which means "armor". It was "Schützengrabenvernichtungsautomobil", which literally translates to "fortified trench-destroying vehicle". We had an activity in German II where we had to make up our own words...ours was "Donaudampfschifffahrtskapitansgesellschaftsmitglie der", or "member of a society of Danube steamboat captains."

It's a great language. English is an interesting language in and of itself, but for different reasons. German is just frickin awesome.

broncocalijohn
04-23-2012, 12:55 AM

War mir so ernüchternd.

****! You and Chris typing in German is like sirhcyennek81 and Miss I comparing Decker and other male half nude pictures...I just don't get it.

extralife
04-23-2012, 01:29 AM

I don't know if you heard, dawg, but there are a couple german philosophers of note.

Archer81
04-23-2012, 03:11 AM
****! You and Chris typing in German is like sirhcyennek81 and Miss I comparing Decker and other male half nude pictures...I just don't get it.

You dont get that a gay man and a straight woman would talk about something they both find sexually attractive?

Then a thread I'm going to create is going to blow your mind.

Requiem
04-23-2012, 08:57 AM
Haha, all of us speak German. Nazis!

houghtam
04-23-2012, 09:21 AM
Haha, all of us speak German. Nazis!

Gort
04-23-2012, 09:54 AM
You can learn languages automatically without prior knowledge in a vaccuum. Zero point language technology is available for people who are awake to it.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2044/2369948824_e1d0287710.jpg

Gort
04-23-2012, 10:01 AM

der Fernsehapparat.

fern = far
seh = from the verb "to see"
apparat = device

that's actually not much different from the word "Television"

tele = far
vision = from Latin "to see"

Beantown Bronco
04-23-2012, 10:13 AM
Paris=Most overrated city in the world?

If not for some AMAZING donuts I had at Eurodisney back in the day, I'd say that place blows.

Neck and neck with Venice, IMO.

Chris
04-23-2012, 11:34 AM
I don't know if you heard, dawg, but there are a couple german philosophers of note.

That are talked about by the French. I was referring to common dinner conversation... in France it's politics, religion, philosophy, life, etc.

Paris is an amazing city if you want to be a traditional tourist. Its history is incredible. It's restaurants are excellent. Anyone that proposes to their fiancee in front of the Eiffel Tower deserves to have broncocalijohn's fake dog hump them in their sleep.

I love French culture in general, love the food, love the fact that you can broach any subject with anyone (my mother was once hit on by a gas station attendant when he struck up a conversation about the French new wave), love that people are flirtatious right until old age and don't fall apart like bouncy castles after the party, love the approach to life even if it's not that economically sustainable... that said, I think Berlin is the city of NOW that will be talked about en masse LATER - Stockholm to a lesser extent. I would love to spend more time in the east as well and I have barely touched Spain (Marbella).

WolfpackGuy
04-23-2012, 12:10 PM
It's a great language. English is an interesting language in and of itself, but for different reasons. German is just frickin awesome.

Agreed. I took four years back in high school and had some real life exposure to it when I was in Europe a few years back. My brother knows it pretty well since he's been stationed in Germany for 2 of the last 3 years after not knowing a bit of it. It's not as hard as people think if you're an English speaker, but the compound words are ridiculous although logical.

I'd also recommend anyone doing German to also try Dutch and Danish at the same pace if they have the time. I need to get back into it, but I was doing this awhile back with a bootleg Rosetta Stone I have. Dutch, Danish, and German are VERY similar to each other and English.

Chris
04-23-2012, 12:15 PM
I can not pronounce Danish to save my life. Almost impossible.

As the Swedes say, "It's as if they're speaking our language but they have something stuck in their throat."

German grammar is basically old English with different words. Pretty cool in that sense.

WolfpackGuy
04-23-2012, 12:22 PM
I can not pronounce Danish to save my life. Almost impossible.

As the Swedes say, "It's as if they're speaking our language but they have something stuck in their throat."

German grammar is basically old English with different words. Pretty cool in that sense.

Yeah, the "Y's" being pronounced as "U's" in Danish is crazy.

Someone made the comment about German sounding ugly. It doesn't have anything on Dutch. "G's" sound like you're coughing up a lung.