PDA

View Full Version : OT-Going to the Darkside, iphone questions

broncosteven
04-21-2012, 09:36 PM
iphone users I am looking for your experiences. I have made the choice to replace my ancient smartphone with an iphone.

I made the choice purely because it is pretty, it's music apps, its pretty, I have clients that use it that I need to support, it is pretty and I can turn it into a Korg Kaoss pad for $6.99.

1st question: How hard is it to sync Word/Excel/Outlook?

Is it any more fragile than any other smartphone? Should I get a warranty on it?

I currently have a slider Tilt, is texting difficult on iphone?

I was going to stay with AT&T because I have had them forever and have everything else with them. I don't need 4g but I am pretty sure I am going with an iphone 4S 16g thought it is hard to pass up a free iphone 3.

Has anyone here used the iRig to record with it?

What is the best thing about it?

What is your biggest regret about it?

Is it really as pretty as it looks?

Anything to know before I sell my soul to the devil? I have 2 ipods but they were vendor gifts, this is the 1st time Apple is getting my money.

Any help will earn you rep. Thanks for your time.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
04-21-2012, 09:48 PM
Re: Syncing - I stopped using the Microsoft suite years ago, and if I remember correctly it was easy to update everything using iCal and Entourage. Apple Store will gladly help you with this stuff.

They say it's more fragile, and I've seen cracked screens. But you can get a permanent clear face protector that keeps the face from breaking scratching or getting crushed with everyday wear. I have an inCase cover for mine that is VERY sleek and doesn't change the dimensions much at all and does a really good job of protecting the sides as well. Cost like 20 bucks at Target. I did get insurance, but this is my first iPhone so I wasn't sure. Next one I get (and I will get the next one) I probably won't get the warranty.

Texting is easy once you get used to the touchscreen. Honestly, as touchscreen phones go, it's the best, most intuitive one I've used (and I've had blackberry, droid and now iPhone. Not even a comparison).

Be glad you went up a step to get the 4S. The differences between the 4 and the 3 are night and day, and the 4S is particularly badass.

never used iRig.

Best thing: Probably just the ease of use. When I first got it, a step up from my Droid, the first thing I noticed was simply how elegant the whole thing feels. Front to back, whether you're using the web or scrolling through apps or playing a game, the thing just WORKS, and works smoothly without hiccups. Something I could never say about the Droid, which had so much bloatware as to make it a brick.

Biggest "regret"? I don't know that I have any. Price, maybe, and that I got the iPhone 4 about two months before the 4S arrived. My Droid **** the bed, though, and I had to have a phone. So. Yeah.

It's prettier than it looks. Did you play around at all with it? Ads and stuff on TV does it zero justice.

Honestly, Apple seems to me, as a customer, to be one of the most forward-thinking companies I've ever dealt with. I've never had an issue that wasn't easily and immediately fixable, and I've since purchased an iPad 2 (I already owned a MacBook). I used to be a total anti-Apple guy, figuring that the stuff PCs were doing was just as good, and that Apple was all hype. I don't think that way anymore. I love my Apple products, always get great service and help when I need it at the stores, and really love the ease of use. At first, it'll be like learning a new language... for about 24 hours. After that, it's all gravy, baby.

And for your consideration: Gene would own an Apple.

houghtam
04-21-2012, 09:56 PM
Honestly, Apple seems to me, as a customer, to be one of the most forward-thinking companies I've ever dealt with. I've never had an issue that wasn't easily and immediately fixable, and I've since purchased an iPad 2 (I already owned a MacBook). I used to be a total anti-Apple guy, figuring that the stuff PCs were doing was just as good, and that Apple was all hype. I don't think that way anymore. I love my Apple products, always get great service and help when I need it at the stores, and really love the ease of use. At first, it'll be like learning a new language... for about 24 hours. After that, it's all gravy, baby.

And the anti-Apple clowns show up in 5...4...3...2...

My iPhone is amazing, and I use it for about 5% of what it's probably capable of. To address a few of the questions from my own perspective:

- If you don't mind it looking a little clunkier, Otterboxes are a fine way of protecting your device.

- Might as well go for the 4S just for SIRI alone. Talk dirty to her. It's the funniest thing ever. That alone is worth the extra hundy.

- Best thing for me is ease of use. I'm pretty much an idiot when it comes to computers and phones, and I picked this one up in no time. It's very idiot-proof.

- Biggest regret is that I went for the 4G instead of the 4S.

HAT
04-21-2012, 10:01 PM
Never owned one but they seem pretty sweet if you can get past the tiny screen.

Dr. Broncenstein
04-21-2012, 10:05 PM
I don't like having to jailbreak the phone to make it wifi hotspot. I'm going to switch to a droid on Verizon for this reason alone, and I'm an otherwise happy iPhone user for the past five years.

broncosteven
04-21-2012, 10:07 PM
Re: Syncing - I stopped using the Microsoft suite years ago, and if I remember correctly it was easy to update everything using iCal and Entourage. Apple Store will gladly help you with this stuff.

They say it's more fragile, and I've seen cracked screens. But you can get a permanent clear face protector that keeps the face from breaking scratching or getting crushed with everyday wear. I have an inCase cover for mine that is VERY sleek and doesn't change the dimensions much at all and does a really good job of protecting the sides as well. Cost like 20 bucks at Target. I did get insurance, but this is my first iPhone so I wasn't sure. Next one I get (and I will get the next one) I probably won't get the warranty.

Texting is easy once you get used to the touchscreen. Honestly, as touchscreen phones go, it's the best, most intuitive one I've used (and I've had blackberry, droid and now iPhone. Not even a comparison).

Be glad you went up a step to get the 4S. The differences between the 4 and the 3 are night and day, and the 4S is particularly badass.

never used iRig.

Best thing: Probably just the ease of use. When I first got it, a step up from my Droid, the first thing I noticed was simply how elegant the whole thing feels. Front to back, whether you're using the web or scrolling through apps or playing a game, the thing just WORKS, and works smoothly without hiccups. Something I could never say about the Droid, which had so much bloatware as to make it a brick.

Biggest "regret"? I don't know that I have any. Price, maybe, and that I got the iPhone 4 about two months before the 4S arrived. My Droid **** the bed, though, and I had to have a phone. So. Yeah.

It's prettier than it looks. Did you play around at all with it? Ads and stuff on TV does it zero justice.

Thanks man! I have no doubt Gene would have the best engineered device on the planet even if it was made by slave minors in China.

The music industry has really embraced all Apple products but especially the iphone and ipad. I want to buy an ipad just to get the Korg ms20 app but that is not going to happen for a while yet. I will surely pull the trigger when more daw mixing apps arrive.

Where did you get your phone? Apple store, Based on contract provider (AT&T, Sprint) or a Vendor store? I am leaning toward going online with At&T over the phone.

Down the road I could see going to a Mac Book to run Pro Tools but to get PT to the point that I have Sonar and all the VST apps and prochannels configured it could be more than just going to a base PT daw. The nice thing is that my MOTU interface will now work on PT without having to buy extra gear.

Thanks again man!

broncosteven
04-21-2012, 10:18 PM
And the anti-Apple clowns show up in 5...4...3...2...

My iPhone is amazing, and I use it for about 5% of what it's probably capable of. To address a few of the questions from my own perspective:

- If you don't mind it looking a little clunkier, Otterboxes are a fine way of protecting your device.

- Might as well go for the 4S just for SIRI alone. Talk dirty to her. It's the funniest thing ever. That alone is worth the extra hundy.

- Best thing for me is ease of use. I'm pretty much an idiot when it comes to computers and phones, and I picked this one up in no time. It's very idiot-proof.

- Biggest regret is that I went for the 4G instead of the 4S.

I am an anti-Apple idiot.

I live to look clunky, an otter box will keep my nerd cred going! WoooT.

I am not looking forward to siri but I do like that a calendar entry can be made that fast. I had a 2 page therapy itenery and it took awhile to sync into Outlook.

I figure with a 4S 16g I should be able to get most of my cd's into itunes for once without having to rob Peter to pay Paul everytime I want to add some new albums..

Do the ear buds from the ipods work with iphone4s and I have an ipod input on my Pioneer amp, does the iphone4s have the same type of ipod sync cable? I guess I could do bluetooth via the PS3 in the basement.

I am still getting a boner to use the Korg Kaoss Pad on it and the iRig to record my electric guitar and piezo acoustic . I used my old phone to record some quick song ideas that I would flesh out later and it was like trying to record over an old 1920's type phone. hard to hear what i played into the speaker phone.

broncosteven
04-21-2012, 10:22 PM
I don't like having to jailbreak the phone to make it wifi hotspot. I'm going to switch to a droid on Verizon for this reason alone, and I'm an otherwise happy iPhone user for the past five years.

AT&T offered a hotspot fee for like $30 or $50 a month.

Seemed way too high a cost to use it as a hot spot unless work would pop for it.

Dr. Broncenstein
04-21-2012, 10:29 PM
AT&T offered a hotspot fee for like $30 or $50 a month.

Seemed way too high a cost to use it as a hot spot unless work would pop for it.

Yeah it's at least 30 bucks on top of the monthly service which is damn near 100 bucks already... Just to unlock a feature that every droid does for free on Verizon. It's possible to do it for free if you want to risk jail breaking your 400 dollar phone.

houghtam
04-21-2012, 10:31 PM
Yeah it's at least 30 bucks on top of the monthly service which is damn near 100 bucks already... Just to unlock a feature that every droid does for free on Verizon. It's possible to do it for free if you want to risk jail breaking your 400 dollar phone.

Coming from someone who doesn't know anything about phones...what is the purpose of needing to make your phone a hotspot?

lonestar
04-21-2012, 10:44 PM

never used iRig.

Pretty much the way I have though about Apple till my daughter got a macbook pro in college five years ago..

it is still going strong after God only knows how many drops from the top bunk in dorms..

I got an iMac which I'm on now 3 years ago and nary an issue..
My wife got an orginal iPad when they came out and loves it better than teh HP mini she carried around for her work..

We all got iPhones for Christmas 2010 and have not had a problem yet..

I fell in the pool a few months ago and it got soaked by the time I got out.. took it to ATT and they said I had to buy a new one.. But instead I went down inside the mall to the Apple store and said it was not working.. they tried to get it to work and ordered a new one said it would be in with in two days..

They called later that afternoon and said I could come by and pick it up..

they took the old one back and I brought teh new one home and synced it to the imac..was back in business in less than a day..

The only problem I had with it was syncing the blue tooth with my Volvo, took me forever to get it to work but finnally did..

I'm hard on phones and becasue of that I bought the otter box and do not know of how many times I have dropped it on tile or cement decks.. have never had a bit of problem Other than if it hits just right it knocks the mute ring switch into the mute ring...

The first two times I did that after missing a bunch of calls I took it to Att and then Apple for repairs.. took them about 3 seconds to move the switch back..

Now I know what to look for..

I do not use about 50% of the functions it has but do most of my email, web browsing on it, between it and the hand me down iPad my son gave me I rarely get on the iMAc anymore..

Do not use verizon as it has limitations on the iPhones capability.. I waited forever for them to get it and then finally switched to att and happy I did..

lonestar
04-21-2012, 10:49 PM
Thanks man! I have no doubt Gene would have the best engineered device on the planet even if it was made by slave minors in China.

The music industry has really embraced all Apple products but especially the iphone and ipad. I want to buy an ipad just to get the Korg ms20 app but that is not going to happen for a while yet. I will surely pull the trigger when more daw mixing apps arrive.

Where did you get your phone? Apple store, Based on contract provider (AT&T, Sprint) or a Vendor store? I am leaning toward going online with At&T over the phone.

Down the road I could see going to a Mac Book to run Pro Tools but to get PT to the point that I have Sonar and all the VST apps and prochannels configured it could be more than just going to a base PT daw. The nice thing is that my MOTU interface will now work on PT without having to buy extra gear.

Thanks again man!

Look for who ever has the best deal Att vs the apple store..

the rest of them are leaches IMO..

the earphones are interchangeable but I went out and spent big bucks on a pair that are noise canceling and fit in the ear.. I travel a bit and they are great on the planes.. can't wear them in Airports as I miss announcements..

baja
04-21-2012, 11:08 PM

never used iRig.

Excellent post. This is pretty much my experience too. I did have one Apple dog though. My first Mac Book Pro (15 inch screen) needed a new mother board and later a new hard drive, both were replaced free of charge and timely too.

I love Apple products, they are elegantly functional.

Dutch
04-21-2012, 11:09 PM
Coming from someone who doesn't know anything about phones...what is the purpose of needing to make your phone a hotspot?

Think of it as turning your wireless phone into a wireless access point for other devices to be able to access the WWW. Just be careful to do it with some sort of security/password set up if in public, or you could find other folks helping you to run up your data usage. Also, you went for the 4 not 4G as even the iPhone 4s is a 3G device. Maybe 4G will come with the i5.

Good luck with the iPhone, Steven. We looked /compared all of them pretty hard (my wife and I), and we were pretty set on getting the i4s' when we made our upgrade a couple of months back. Then we picked up and started playing with/researching the Samsung Galaxy Note, and that was the end of that. We needed something that was enterprise network capable for her, and business capable for me (plus 4g LTE is blisteringly fast). It all comes down to what you need to do with it. For creativity, the iPhone rocks. Pretty much like all Apple products. For work/business....flip the equation. It somewhat boils down to being a content consumer device as opposed to a content creator to a certain extent. We own an iPad as well, and I love the esthetic that all of Apple's products are built to. I get a good laugh, however at Apple turning into the very thing that they spent their youth criticizing.....namely IBM. You have to buy everything that matters from them, and they nickle and dime you to death doing it. Not looking for a debate here, just is what it is. They all have their strengths and weaknesses, just boils down to what you want to do with them and what meets that need the most effectively. Enjoy. I'm loving my Note as I'm sure you will love the iPhone. I still think that Gene would opt for the device that is a tool over the one that is a toy:wave:!

lonestar
04-21-2012, 11:14 PM
Excellent post. This is pretty much my experience too. I did have one Apple dog though. My first Mac Book Pro (15 inch screen) needed a new mother board and later a new hard drive, both were replaced free of charge and timely too.

I love Apple products, they are elegantly functional.

I was a PC fan for decades and always laughed at the "mac" clowns..

My last PC's was a network of Dells.. since then nothing but Apple products..

The only thing I miss on the apple keyboard is a backspace key...

other than tha they have kicked ass.

I can have 15+ windows open and running and it runs faster than my Dell does with two windows open and it had tons of memory..

MY only other problem is where my office is, my Time machine (router is in a front room and my office a back room.. Had to place it that way because of telephone jacks..

baja
04-21-2012, 11:22 PM

iPhones have had a built in wifi hot spot for a few years now.

snowspot66
04-21-2012, 11:27 PM

I can have 15+ windows open and running and it runs faster than my Dell does with two windows open and it had tons of memory..

MY only other problem is where my office is, my Time machine (router is in a front room and my office a back room.. Had to place it that way because of telephone jacks..

There's your problem.

Dutch
04-21-2012, 11:31 PM

Get yourself a wireless bridge and connect your PC to it with a regular lan cable and be done with it. Bridges have a MUCH stronger signal capability (not to mention larger antenna), as that is all they do. Especially compared to an internal wireless card in a pc where interference, power consumption, etc. are issues that can impact a pc's performance. Easy to set up, basically power everything off (router, pc's, etc), plug everything in, power it all back up, and enjoy. The nice thing is you can locate the bridge anywhere in the room you can run power and the lan cable. Best spot in my buddies home office was on a shelf three feet up on his credenza behind his desk, 10 feet away from where his pc/docking station resides on his desk. Now, it screams. No more dropped packets either.

This one works very well for what you need:

http://homestore.cisco.com/en-us/adapters/linksys-WET610N_stcVVproductId65221232VVcatId551966VVviewp rod.htm

get the reconditioned one and you'll still get full warranty, plus unlike an access point, your office PC will be the only device on it so it will haul the mail so to speak!

Dutch
04-21-2012, 11:32 PM
There's your problem.

yep

HAT
04-22-2012, 12:01 AM
How do you like the Note Dutch?

I've been a Palm user for a decade but finally gave up last year and bought the HTC Titan running WP7 because of the 4.7 screen and WP7 is most like WebOS....

Pretty intrigued by that massive screen on the Note & I'd love to rock a stylus again....Android is the only thing holding me back.

BroncoMan4ever
04-22-2012, 12:24 AM
i have only had bad experiences with iphones. it is like apple crammed it with so much **** that it can do, that it doesn't do anything great. its like they decided instead of quality lets just fill it with gadgets and that will keep people from getting pissed because of a mediocre overpriced paper weight.

myMind
04-22-2012, 12:32 AM
The only advice I can offer is never eat pepperjack cheeseitz after a day of drinking.
Im gonna need an Ambien. Wu-Tang. End transmission.

broncosteven
04-22-2012, 12:36 AM
Think of it as turning your wireless phone into a wireless access point for other devices to be able to access the WWW. Just be careful to do it with some sort of security/password set up if in public, or you could find other folks helping you to run up your data usage. Also, you went for the 4 not 4G as even the iPhone 4s is a 3G device. Maybe 4G will come with the i5.

Good luck with the iPhone, Steven. We looked /compared all of them pretty hard (my wife and I), and we were pretty set on getting the i4s' when we made our upgrade a couple of months back. Then we picked up and started playing with/researching the Samsung Galaxy Note, and that was the end of that. We needed something that was enterprise network capable for her, and business capable for me (plus 4g LTE is blisteringly fast). It all comes down to what you need to do with it. For creativity, the iPhone rocks. Pretty much like all Apple products. For work/business....flip the equation. It somewhat boils down to being a content consumer device as opposed to a content creator to a certain extent. We own an iPad as well, and I love the esthetic that all of Apple's products are built to. I get a good laugh, however at Apple turning into the very thing that they spent their youth criticizing.....namely IBM. You have to buy everything that matters from them, and they nickle and dime you to death doing it. Not looking for a debate here, just is what it is. They all have their strengths and weaknesses, just boils down to what you want to do with them and what meets that need the most effectively. Enjoy. I'm loving my Note as I'm sure you will love the iPhone. I still think that Gene would opt for the device that is a tool over the one that is a toy:wave:!

Thanks Dutch, I agree, with the IBM argument. I would have gone anywhere else but I have clients that can't seem to figure it out and have trouble doing things with it so I need one to help them and reading the reviews in Keyboard and EM mag's about all the music ways companies like Korg are using them I decided that when it was time I would jump ship. As long as the tool is a musical toy I will be ok with selling my soul.

Really I just need to be able to place a call and get a clear line, text, sync MS Office including Outlook and then play around with the Music Apps available for them.

When I saw Android I told myself that was the one I wanted but since the Apps don't seem to be interchangeable I am going iphone and much later ipad.

broncosteven
04-22-2012, 12:38 AM

I've been a Palm user for a decade but finally gave up last year and bought the HTC Titan running WP7 because of the 4.7 screen and WP7 is most like WebOS....

Pretty intrigued by that massive screen on the Note & I'd love to rock a stylus again....Android is the only thing holding me back.

I don't need the massive screen so I am over that already.

broncosteven
04-22-2012, 12:39 AM
i have only had bad experiences with iphones. it is like apple crammed it with so much **** that it can do, that it doesn't do anything great. its like they decided instead of quality lets just fill it with gadgets and that will keep people from getting pissed because of a mediocre overpriced paper weight.

This is my fear and how I felt about Apple all along but if my clients didn't use it and I could get the Apps on another phone I would still be mocking Apple.

broncosteven
04-22-2012, 12:40 AM
The only advice I can offer is never eat pepperjack cheeseitz after a day of drinking.
Im gonna need an Ambien. Wu-Tang. End transmission.

Warning, if you ate pepperjack Cheezeits after Drinking then took an Ambien you might eat of brick of actual Pepper jack and clog your poop chute for a couple days.

myMind
04-22-2012, 12:52 AM
Warning, if you ate pepperjack Cheezeits after Drinking then took an Ambien you might eat of brick of actual Pepper jack and clog your poop chute for a couple days.

This close to the last transit of Venus in our lifetime? I'll take my chances.
Lyrids meteor shower in the northeastern sky right now people. Talking to you brings out the astronomer in me, I wonder why that is.

baja
04-22-2012, 12:56 AM
Why do you guys worry about cases for your iPhones? They are very tough and will be obsolete in 18 months anyway.

Dutch
04-22-2012, 01:01 AM

Funny you mention the Palm as that was a factor in our decision. The Note has enabled me to integrate the following in the field (Network Engineer):

Phone - obviously, but the size that has come under such criticism in the tech press ("but it is so BIG, it looks rediculous") is rendered a non factor with a bluetooth Jawbone.

Laptop - (I'm remote linked to my laptop via the Note with enterprise level security which is only sending screen updates and keystrokes across the net reducing bandwidth usage and taking advantage of the connectivity speed and processing power of my PC), plus I can view and modify all Microsoft Office Suite application files and PDF's on the Note itself if need be.

Tablet/Netbook - for presentations to customers. The Note's screen is planty big enough for these.

Garmin GPS - The Samsung Vehicle kit automatically puts the Note into "Car" mode with google maps and turn by turn directions with recalibration.

Wireless and Network Analyzer - self explanitory

Cabled Network Analyzer - same

8mpx Camera/HD Movie Camera - I know, they all have them now....but this baby has an ace up it's sleeve, we'll get to that in a second.

Flashlight - hey, don't knock it. This has the brightest led flash unit that I've ever seen on a phone that can be used as a flashlight

Construction tools - a need in my job. Measuring tape, Bubble level, and a variety of calculators that all I need to do is plug in the numbers to get material estimates for quotes in an app right on the Note. Assembles and produces numbers in formats ready to email or print.

Palm - and this is key. For those of us that have a need for a good, quick, easy to use day-in-day-out planner....this is the first thing I've used that will replace my good old Palm III. All due to the dreaded stylus (the critics have been quite pithy with the "it's so 90's" comments.....pretty obvious that these guys don't have real jobs).

Oh, the stylus. Not just a stylus, but a smart stylus. I make a lot of notes on a job, and frankly screwing around with a little touch keyboard ain't going to work. With the stylus, I can write it out as always, then it will convert it to text. I can use the stylus to take a screen shot of whatever is on the screeen, then make notes on it, save it for later, or send it in an email or even a text right then. Very handy for having to make corrections to an engineering package on the fly. Instead of having to take a photo, attach it to an email in my laptop, then hope I can get the person on the receiving end to see what needs to be seen. Now I can take the picture, screen shot it, circle the area in question, put the important notes right on the picture, and send it to the recipient in a matter of minutes (2-3). Call them up and discuss right NOW. Also gives the ability to get LEGAL signatures right there from the customer. Bottom line, Hat.... it rocks. Beautiful screen, a ton of productivitybusiness apps already out there, and Android ICS OS out by the end of Q2 for the Note along with several new apps developed specifically for the Note's S-pen. PM me if you have more question as I don't want to hyjack Steven's thread, but dude...this thing is absolutely one of the best all round pieces of tech I've ever seen.

Dutch
04-22-2012, 01:11 AM
Thanks Dutch, I agree, with the IBM argument. I would have gone anywhere else but I have clients that can't seem to figure it out and have trouble doing things with it so I need one to help them and reading the reviews in Keyboard and EM mag's about all the music ways companies like Korg are using them I decided that when it was time I would jump ship. As long as the tool is a musical toy I will be ok with selling my soul.

Really I just need to be able to place a call and get a clear line, text, sync MS Office including Outlook and then play around with the Music Apps available for them.

When I saw Android I told myself that was the one I wanted but since the Apps don't seem to be interchangeable I am going iphone and much later ipad.

No prob, Steven. Like I said, you buy the tool you need for the application. In your case, I can't see anyone beating Apple in the music, photography, art, design, desktop publishing type environments. My nephews have one of the top punk bands in Sydney, Australia. They use their iDevices for everything they do, I get it completely and they are right to do so. However, you know as well as I that there are a ton of trendy iSheep out there who are just following the herd. It will be interesting to me to see if "The Orchard" can keep it up without Jobs at the helm. Last time he left, it didn't take long for them to run it into the ground. Time will tell. He had a special talent for putting his finger on what people want and cutting through the crap to make it happen. I feel the same way about Apple as I do about Harley Davidson. I get it, I've even done it.... but at the end of the day, it wasn't meeting my needs.

Dutch
04-22-2012, 01:14 AM
This close to the last transit of Venus in our lifetime? I'll take my chances.
Lyrids meteor shower in the northeastern sky right now people. Talking to you brings out the astronomer in me, I wonder why that is.

Overcast here tonight or I would have taken the Note and headed up to the North Georgia mountains in the Wrangler with the top down to watch 'em as planned. Bummer!

Dutch
04-22-2012, 01:21 AM
I don't need the massive screen so I am over that already.

I thought the danged thing would be a PITA as well, but after using it for a while now.... I think they hit the "sweet spot" with it. Right between the tablets and the phones. Don't even notice it's size anymore. Unless I have to read an email of web page on someone else's phone...then I can't wait to get back to the Note!:sunshine:

Dr. Broncenstein
04-22-2012, 01:45 AM
iPhones have had a built in wifi hot spot for a few years now.

For an additional monthly fee of 20-30 dollars. Or jail break your phone. I've already pointed this out twice.

maher_tyler
04-22-2012, 01:55 AM
I've had the 4S since it was released. Love it! Would be hard for me to go back to a droid, even though i had no issues with droid. I jailbroke my phone a couple of months ago when they released one for the 4S. So much more you can do to your phone after doing it. I got a pretty sick Broncos back ground on mine. Basically you can customize your phone. Having iTunes on my phone is a big reason i like having an iphone so much. Best phone i've ever had. Only dropped it once or twice. Got a cover and inusrance on it. With something so expensive it only makes sense. Haven't had any issues with it at all. If you do jailbreak it, you can't download the most recent IOS updates though.

Dr. Broncenstein
04-22-2012, 01:57 AM

I live in the country and cellular broadband is the only means for an ISP outside of satellite.

baja
04-22-2012, 02:40 AM
For an additional monthly fee of 20-30 dollars. Or jail break your phone. I've already pointed this out twice.

Yes you did but I hadn't' read that far yet. You see when someone quotes a post and responds it is a good indication that is as far as they have read in the thread.

I get my hot spot gratis with my carrier.

That sounds erotic.

Besides you are a doctor what's 30 bucks to you, just do an extra hysterectomy

troya900
04-22-2012, 03:05 AM
I currently have a droid and would think of switching to the iphone, but one of the things I do most with it is go to the p2p4u site to watch a sports game when I'm out and about or just don't have access to my computer or television. I heard about the skyfire browser to get flash on iphone, but I heard it kinda sucks and the video is laggy. I'd love to hear from an iphone user that can browse to a site like p2p4u and watch the game or does it just not work on iphone?

Dr. Broncenstein
04-22-2012, 03:41 AM
Yes you did but I hadn't' read that far yet. You see when someone quotes a post and responds it is a good indication that is as far as they have read in the thread.

I get my hot spot gratis with my carrier.

That sounds erotic.

Besides you are a doctor what's 30 bucks to you, just do an extra hysterectomy

It's the principle of having to pay extra for something the phone already is capable of doing with bandwidth already purchased.

chadta
04-22-2012, 04:46 AM
i cant imagine going back to the days of an unjailbroken iphone, id lose all my cool appearance apps, like 5 icon dock, carosel, color keyboard, custom color, and the app i missed the most before the jailbreak, sb settings

as for cases, the ilife case is much smaller then the otter box, and is also water proff to like 15 feet or something, i have been meaning to get one, but honestly i have gotten used to the small phone in my front pocket, not sure i could put a case on it.

Personally i think they are a little more sensitive to being dropped, my neighbor is already on his 3rd phone, after just 2 drops each while trying to open his car door and not spill his coffee in the morning, his third phone has been dropped once and the back is already cracked.

One thing nobody mentioned is battery life, expect to charge it every day, i consider myself a very lite user, i send a few texts, and play a few games, honestly i use my phone onkyo remote app more then anything to control my stereo when im sitting on my back deck listening to tunes, and i cant ever go more then a day without charging. Buy alot of cables, and leave one everywhere, i have one at work, one in my work truck, one in my personal car, and then i have the one with the outlet adapter.

Love it tho, wife has one, kids both have ipods, i set up 3g unrestrictor, so they can facetime me anywhere anytime, if they need to get ahold of me, neither of them know how to use a phone, but both are quite comfortable with facetime and msn.

Falconer
04-22-2012, 06:42 AM
I would just wait a few months for the iphone5. It should have a very durable LiquidMetal shell, 4G, and a faster core processor. That is unless you can't wait.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
04-22-2012, 06:42 AM
I think the charging issue is WAY overrated. I've yet to have a phone -- and this goes for my old flip-style phones as well -- that didn't need to be charged at the end of every day. Sure, some days are a little lower than others, but especially with smart phones, you gotta do that **** daily.

I use my iPhone as an iPod for long trips in the Bronco. The lowest it gets (like last night, when I was out at a party) is 20% or so, and when I killed off all the apps it lasted several hours on standby, and would have lasted 45-60 minutes talking.

That One Guy
04-22-2012, 07:50 AM
My wife has an iphone and I have an Evo 4g and the only thing I can say with certainty that I like hers better for is texting while I'll give the probable nod to the built in email interface, overall smoothness, and maybe battery life though I play more advanced games than she does so that may be the difference.

I also had an Ipod as my simple internet outlet when I started back to school and I really liked it. I've read that there's almost no risks in jailbreaking something but I just never got the nerve to do it. I imagine if I had, I'd have almost no issues with them. The only major plus seems to be not having to use Itunes and the droid seems to have more free games.

Texting, though, almost makes any discussion between the two moot. With my droid, it's almost like dictating a letter to my retarded little sister. "Now i.. you mean a lowercase, i, right?" It can never figure out "I".

houghtam
04-22-2012, 09:10 AM
I think the charging issue is WAY overrated. I've yet to have a phone -- and this goes for my old flip-style phones as well -- that didn't need to be charged at the end of every day. Sure, some days are a little lower than others, but especially with smart phones, you gotta do that **** daily.

I use my iPhone as an iPod for long trips in the Bronco. The lowest it gets (like last night, when I was out at a party) is 20% or so, and when I killed off all the apps it lasted several hours on standby, and would have lasted 45-60 minutes talking.

Yes, this. Charging is way overblown. If you can't get through an entire day on a standard iPhone battery, you need to go to a 12 step program for cell phone abuse. I use mine constantly, and usually can go a day, maybe two without charging.

I'm also one of the lucky people who have that new-fangled thing called electricity in my house, and I had it wired especially to provide a wall outlet in my bedroom, so I could *gasp* charge it while I sleep. Then I never run out of battery life.

CSU Husker
04-22-2012, 09:42 AM
Get a good case and never take it out. I took mine out for a couple days and managed to drop it, front screen is totally shattered now. $150 at the apple store to get a replacement.

That One Guy
04-22-2012, 09:54 AM
Get a good case and never take it out. I took mine out for a couple days and managed to drop it, front screen is totally shattered now. $150 at the apple store to get a replacement.

My wife got the otterbox and the right fall broke her camera but considering how many times it seems it's been dropped, the case clearly paid for itself many times over.

broncosteven
04-22-2012, 03:38 PM
I currently have a droid and would think of switching to the iphone, but one of the things I do most with it is go to the p2p4u site to watch a sports game when I'm out and about or just don't have access to my computer or television. I heard about the skyfire browser to get flash on iphone, but I heard it kinda sucks and the video is laggy. I'd love to hear from an iphone user that can browse to a site like p2p4u and watch the game or does it just not work on iphone?

I have DVR for that stuff. I have no intention of ever watching TV or a movie on a phone screen. I would rather read a book or listen to music if I got that stuck. Plus with the Kaoss pad I could fool around making music.

broncosteven
04-22-2012, 03:49 PM
I would just wait a few months for the iphone5. It should have a very durable LiquidMetal shell, 4G, and a faster core processor. That is unless you can't wait.

I would normally but I have a client that I need to support now and we are working on landing some new ones. I have gotten over hardware regret being in the IT field for so long.

broncosteven
04-22-2012, 03:51 PM

I have gotten used to daily charging since I got my 1st smartphone.

Jay3
04-22-2012, 03:58 PM
Sorry, OP. Serious Ice Cream Sandwich user here.

snowspot66
04-22-2012, 03:58 PM

You've been getting some bad phones. Mine is once or twice a week. (Not an Iphone.)

chadta
04-22-2012, 04:25 PM
You've been getting some bad phones. Mine is once or twice a week. (Not an Iphone.)

i charge my work flip once a week max, thats kind of what i was trying to prep the OP for, wasnt sure if he was aware of the daily charging requirment.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
04-23-2012, 06:53 AM

Pfft. Okay. Without knowing how often you use your phone, that statement is pretty silly.

Most days, when I plug it in before I hit the rack, it's at 50% or higher. But I don't know what tomorrow brings, so I just give it a full charge.

Like I said, not really an issue. I think I've run out of batt ONCE with iPhone, and I was running a major event that ran for 26 hours. At around hour 24, it finally shut down. But I was using several apps, web, phone, text, etc.

chadta
04-29-2012, 06:36 PM
somethign i just learned this weekend

My wife dropped her 3gs into the sink, dont ask, so anyhow, im on the net trying to find her a used one, and looking to sell her broken one, i decide to bite the bullet and go to the apple store.

For 75 bucks, they took my out of warranty 3gs, and gave me a brand new one, no questions asked. Now i asked if all phones were 75 bucks, the geek said no the $s is 175. But still compared to the 800 cost for a brand new factory unlocked phone with no contract to a carrier, i wont be tossing mine in water any time soon.

Also worth mentioning that even back on the 3Gs they had the color changing strip, in the earbud plug, and the charging plug, both turn bright white when in contact with water, which obviously voids the warranty, and its the first thing the geek looked at when i told him it wasnt working, not sure why, i told him it went in water.

Very pleased with how easy it was to get a new phone for my wife, happy wife happy life. Thinking of trading in my messed up 3Gs for another new one, they still go for 200 bucks on kijiji so i could make 120 no problem, i think i have an idea why there are so many people buying used broken iphones now tho, wonder how many times i could do it in a year, they never did ask for id tho, so i guess i could say my name is anything.

broncosteven
07-02-2012, 10:28 PM
Now I am considering getting a Galaxy Note and maybe an Ipad 2.0 down the road instead.

Not sure I can make it to August-October for the new iPhone announcement. My battery is dieing again on my old AT&T Tilt phone so it is time to upgrade but I like the Galaxy Note for phone tasks alot while looking around waiting on Apple to make an annoucement.

StugotsIII
07-02-2012, 11:21 PM
Wait till September/October for the iPhone 5 to come out…it will have a bigger screen, more powerful processor and all the bells and whistles.

AND…if you don't want to shell out for the new phone…just get an earlier model 4 or 4s….still amazing phones that will be far cheaper. And really, it's all about the software anyway.

Doggcow
07-03-2012, 12:53 AM
Wait till September/October for the iPhone 5 to come out…it will have a bigger screen, more powerful processor and all the bells and whistles.

AND…if you don't want to shell out for the new phone…just get an earlier model 4 or 4s….still amazing phones that will be far cheaper. And really, it's all about the software anyway.

Well, the 4s is only 3g though. So that's a severe drop. If you're sold on Iphone just shell out the extra for it. Otherwise look at Android/Windows options where all of them are 4g.

Doggcow
07-03-2012, 12:54 AM
Now I am considering getting a Galaxy Note and maybe an Ipad 2.0 down the road instead.

Not sure I can make it to August-October for the new iPhone announcement. My battery is dieing again on my old AT&T Tilt phone so it is time to upgrade but I like the Galaxy Note for phone tasks alot while looking around waiting on Apple to make an annoucement.

What do you want your phone to do exactly? How do you use it? What is absolutely critical, and what is important but not required?

Jay3
07-03-2012, 05:10 AM
Wait till September/October for the iPhone 5 to come out…it will have a bigger screen,

I wonder if Apple will declare it okay to consider a bigger screen better, instead of the "perfect size" they've been insisting on all this time?

maher_tyler
07-03-2012, 07:24 AM
I wonder if Apple will declare it okay to consider a bigger screen better, instead of the "perfect size" they've been insisting on all this time?

I don't mind the screen size on the iPhone as long as the phone isn't a pile of ****. I've had my 4s since October and haven't had any issues really since i got it. It froze up once and another time i couldn't slide the thing over to answer a phone call. Other than that i've been extremely happy with it. I've also Jail Broken it. Best phone i've had so far. Battery will last me all day even after using the SiriusXM app for 4-5 hours at work...

Dutch
07-03-2012, 07:32 AM

Pull the trigger, Steven. You won't regret it. We absolutely Love our GNotes. Now, if AT&T would get off their ass and get ICS 4.0 released before everyone else is already running 4.1 Jelly Bean...grrrr. That said, it really isn't a big deal. I'm looking forward to ICS for some specific Apps that will allow me to use my Note to upgrade Cisco routers and eliminate a need for my laptop for a specific project.

Jay3
07-03-2012, 07:35 AM
I don't mind the screen size on the iPhone as long as the phone isn't a pile of ****. I've had my 4s since October and haven't had any issues really since i got it. It froze up once and another time i couldn't slide the thing over to answer a phone call. Other than that i've been extremely happy with it. I've also Jail Broken it. Best phone i've had so far. Battery will last me all day even after using the SiriusXM app for 4-5 hours at work...

It just seems like Apple has the ability to declare whatever they happen to be doing as perfect, until they change, and then everybody collectively decides the new perfect.

Notifications used to be horrible on the iPhone, until they copied Android. One day, 4G will seem like a good thing to iPhone users, when the iPhone has it.

I don't mind people choosing the iPhone if it suits them (heck, we all have to pick something, pick a car, pick a peanut butter brand, etc.). But it seems Apple objectively ignores certain obvious features until they've sold a crapload of phones. Screen size has been one of them.

Requiem
07-03-2012, 07:47 AM
I notice our resident T-Mobile guru has had no responses to his salespitches online. Must have been why their CEO resigned.

maher_tyler
07-03-2012, 07:52 AM
It just seems like Apple has the ability to declare whatever they happen to be doing as perfect, until they change, and then everybody collectively decides the new perfect.

Notifications used to be horrible on the iPhone, until they copied Android. One day, 4G will seem like a good thing to iPhone users, when the iPhone has it.

I don't mind people choosing the iPhone if it suits them (heck, we all have to pick something, pick a car, pick a peanut butter brand, etc.). But it seems Apple objectively ignores certain obvious features until they've sold a crapload of phones. Screen size has been one of them.

Exactly. Right now, i'm happy with what i have. I've heard having 4g kills the battery life. Maybe it was the phone i don't know. Having 4g just seems like something else i need to pay an arm and a leg for. $30 for unlimited data for each phone on your plan is a bit steep if you ask me (what i currently have).

maher_tyler
07-03-2012, 07:55 AM
I notice our resident T-Mobile guru has had no responses to his salespitches online. Must have been why their CEO resigned.

I'm betting T-Mobile will be bought out by Verizon, Sprint or AT&T in the next 3 years...

bfoflcommish
07-03-2012, 08:03 AM
Well, the 4s is only 3g though. So that's a severe drop. If you're sold on Iphone just shell out the extra for it. Otherwise look at Android/Windows options where all of them are 4g.

the 4s is on 4g lte, which is a much faster speed than 3g...trust me. but i agree wait and buy the 5.

titan
07-03-2012, 08:08 AM
I went the other way - dropped my iPhone 3S for an Android phone (Samsung Skyrocket) last November. The Skyrocket fits my needs better because I primarily use the phone for email, messaging, and web browsing while away (the bigger screen makes these applications easier to use). Plus I use google calendar and my android phone syncs well with that.

I still like Apple products. I have a Mac desktop for two years and I won't go back to a Windows PC. I have an iPad. My Android phone doesn't sync as well with these devices as my iPhone did. The iPhone has a better music interface and itunes has a bigger library of podcasts than is available on my android phone - I still use my old iphone for music and podcasts (as an ipod basically)

As someone else wrote, it depends what you are going to use the phone for to determine which one works best for you.

Drunken.Broncoholic
07-03-2012, 09:01 AM
I would also wait for the 5 but the 4s is not 3G. The software updates no longer require you to hook it up to a computer anymore. That is HUGE. There is no better phone. Plain and simple. The others are just trying to catch up to it over the last couple years. The 5 is supposed to have some kind of superman glassed construction. Could throw it at a wall and not break. But again the best thing about it is the software updates go directly to your phone now.

WolfpackGuy
07-03-2012, 09:01 AM
Get yourself a Nokia Lumia 900 for a $100 on a 2 year plan or $450 off plan. I got mine bascially free when AT&T was giving out a $100 credit.

Decent size screen, responsive interface, and it comes with Microsoft Office Mobile for your Excel, Word, and Powerpoint stuff. (OP)

I haven't taken advantage of the 4G LTE too much because they don't have it around here yet, but that chit is FAST in areas where it's available. It's a battery eater though.

I wish it had a MicroSD like older Nokias, although the onboard 16GB and SkyDrive is plenty big enough for me.

Husky Jerk
07-03-2012, 10:29 AM
If you're a clutz, definitely get an otter box. I left mine on the roof of my car and it stayed there until I hit fifty mph. Phone was completely undamaged. The rubber is a pain if you put it in your pocket though.

broncosteven
07-03-2012, 10:37 AM
If you're a clutz, definitely get an otter box. I left mine on the roof of my car and it stayed there until I hit fifty mph. Phone was completely undamaged. The rubber is a pain if you put it in your pocket though.

Who puts anything in pockets with out a pocket protector!?

GEE WIZ!

Plus chicks dig it when you have stuff clipped to your belt.

StugotsIII
07-03-2012, 10:39 AM

One thing my Droid friends constantly complain about is the fact that their 4G phones battery life is terrible. This is due to the 4G network. Many of them turn off 4G to conserve battery life.

I've had 3G for years now and really don't have an issue with it. Plus I'm usually on WIFI anyway…

Complaining about 3G speed is certainly a "first world" problem.

StugotsIII
07-03-2012, 10:41 AM

A huge advantage Apple has with it's current screen size and a massive reason they haven't changed (yet) is because all their apps will have to be reformatted to fit the bigger screen. They could easily change their screen size every iteration but that puts added pressure on app developers to make changes.

The do realize they need to go bigger and are doing so….they will most likely have a 4 inch screen and stay that way for years to come.

I also believe a reason they do this is to ensure people stay interested in the iPad line. If the phone is tablet like….why bother with a tablet?

Rigs11
07-03-2012, 10:42 AM
get one, they are awesome, that is all..

StugotsIII
07-03-2012, 10:46 AM
Once you get your iPhone, which ever one you get, I recommend the following:

1. A battery case for your new phone. This will extend the life of your phone by at least doubling the battery cycle.

I have one made by this company:

http://www.mophie.com/Default.asp

2. Get a screen protector. iPhone resale is WAY better than any Droid I've heard of. I typically pay around 300 for a new iPhone (with contract) and end up selling it 2 years later for right around the same amount. You want your phone to be in good shape to do so. I use these:

http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield/index.php?gclid=COCm7v_5_bACFQ67KgodfjVezA

I'd also get apple care with it….

Chris
07-03-2012, 10:47 AM
Wait two months for the iPhone 5.

hades
07-03-2012, 10:50 AM
the 4s is on 4g lte, which is a much faster speed than 3g...trust me. but i agree wait and buy the 5.

Apple does not currently have any iPhone that is on 4G LTE. The last OS upgrade makes it say it is on LTE, but it is not, it is a 3G device

bfoflcommish
07-03-2012, 11:00 AM
Apple does not currently have any iPhone that is on 4G LTE. The last OS upgrade makes it say it is on LTE, but it is not, it is a 3G device

yet it is much much faster than 3g...so.

maher_tyler
07-03-2012, 11:18 AM
yet it is much much faster than 3g...so.

Does it affect the battery life?

bfoflcommish
07-03-2012, 11:20 AM

yes, the 4s has a shorter life than my 4 did, but as someone said previous buy a battery cover and its unnoticeable.

Drunken.Broncoholic
07-03-2012, 11:23 AM

4s is technically not 4G. But it's faster than 3GS and 4 phones. 4G is overrated and eats up huge battery life. Like 5 times more. Youd have to charge it throughout the day a few times if used a lot. This is what prevented Apple from coming out with the 5 too soon. They want to make sure their batteries aren't eaten up by 4G. The speed of an iPhone 4s is just about the same as a phone with 4G. You can turn an iPhone 4s into a wifi hot spot though. Which makes it all irrelavent when you're a walking hot spot.

Dutch
07-03-2012, 11:33 AM
I went the other way - dropped my iPhone 3S for an Android phone (Samsung Skyrocket) last November. The Skyrocket fits my needs better because I primarily use the phone for email, messaging, and web browsing while away (the bigger screen makes these applications easier to use). Plus I use google calendar and my android phone syncs well with that.

I still like Apple products. I have a Mac desktop for two years and I won't go back to a Windows PC. I have an iPad. My Android phone doesn't sync as well with these devices as my iPhone did. The iPhone has a better music interface and itunes has a bigger library of podcasts than is available on my android phone - I still use my old iphone for music and podcasts (as an ipod basically)

"As someone else wrote, it depends what you are going to use the phone for to determine which one works best for you.

Hey Titan, you want a free case for that Skyrocket. I've got a Seidio "Surface" in Black with holster you can have. Great case, just swapped to a Galaxy Note a week after I got it. PM me with your info if you want it. The case has been sitting on my desk for months now, I'd be glad to see it get a good home!:)

http://www.seidioonline.com/samsung-skyrocket-surface-case-black-p/csr3sssky-bk.htm

Dutch
07-03-2012, 11:46 AM
4s is technically not 4G. But it's faster than 3GS and 4 phones. 4G is overrated and eats up huge battery life. Like 5 times more. Youd have to charge it throughout the day a few times if used a lot. This is what prevented Apple from coming out with the 5 too soon. They want to make sure their batteries aren't eaten up by 4G. The speed of an iPhone 4s is just about the same as a phone with 4G. You can turn an iPhone 4s into a wifi hot spot though. Which makes it all irrelavent when you're a walking hot spot.

No offense DB, but that is a load of crap generally fostered by iSheep fanboys. I run my Galaxy Note hard all day on a 4G LTE network in Atlanta a couple of times a week. Does it run the battery down 4-5 times a day? Hell no. The biggest hog is the 5.3 inch screen. Turn down the brightness, and turn off whichever connectivity is not in use and it is no big deal. Oh, and just because of all the hyperbole over it, I picked up a SPARE battery. So if need be, I could actually swap out on the fly whenever I needed to (factory Samsung charger, spare cable, and battery $25 on Amazon). Unlike the iPhones-which if they die, you are hosed. I think I've swapped out the battery, maybe three times in three months. Two of those were due to me being brain dead and not putting the phone on the charger before bed. If you are WiFi you should be able to run all day with heavy use without a problem.

Drunken.Broncoholic
07-03-2012, 11:51 AM
Ha! Dutch no offense taken. I'm sure I exaggerated the 5xs. But I always see friends that use 4G having to charge a lot more than I do, while getting relatively the same speed as me downloading porn.

Dutch
07-03-2012, 11:58 AM
Who puts anything in pockets with out a pocket protector!?

GEE WIZ!

Plus chicks dig it when you have stuff clipped to your belt.

If you go for the GNote Steven, I'd recommend the Seidio "Active" case with holster. Sleeker than the Otterbox monstrosity, and I've drop tested mine a couple of times and it worked great!:thumbsup:

http://www.seidioonline.com/samsung-galaxy-note-active-case-black-p/csk3ssgntk-bk.htm

I'd get the combo kit with the holster:

http://www.seidioonline.com/samsung-galaxy-note-active-case-holster-black-p/bd2-hk3ssgntk-bk.htm

I just included the other linkas it has better pictures of the case.

My wife has a leather case she really likes and there are way more of those available now than there were when we got our GNotes. However, I need something that is more secure on the job.

Dutch
07-03-2012, 12:06 PM
Ha! Dutch no offense taken. I'm sure I exaggerated the 5xs. But I always see friends that use 4G having to charge a lot more than I do, while getting relatively the same speed as me downloading porn.

No prob DB. The GNote that Steven is looking at has a monster battery, which is part of the reason it runs as long as it does. As for the 4g thing....I'm running on 4g LTE, much much faster than 3g. Not even close. My download and upload speeds are insanely fast (20mb + down, 10mb + up). That is almost as fast as my business class cable modem connectivity at the house. It will come down as they get more people on the 4g LTE network, but until then...smokin'.:pimp:

Fedaykin
07-03-2012, 12:51 PM
iphone users I am looking for your experiences. I have made the choice to replace my ancient smartphone with an iphone.

I made the choice purely because it is pretty, it's music apps, its pretty, I have clients that use it that I need to support, it is pretty and I can turn it into a Korg Kaoss pad for $6.99.

1st question: How hard is it to sync Word/Excel/Outlook?

Is it any more fragile than any other smartphone? Should I get a warranty on it?

I currently have a slider Tilt, is texting difficult on iphone?

I was going to stay with AT&T because I have had them forever and have everything else with them. I don't need 4g but I am pretty sure I am going with an iphone 4S 16g thought it is hard to pass up a free iphone 3.

Has anyone here used the iRig to record with it?

What is the best thing about it?

What is your biggest regret about it?

Is it really as pretty as it looks?

Anything to know before I sell my soul to the devil? I have 2 ipods but they were vendor gifts, this is the 1st time Apple is getting my money.

Any help will earn you rep. Thanks for your time.

iPhones are fine as long as the one feature they have that beats Android is worth the much, much larger cost: excellent integration with iTunes.

bfoflcommish
07-03-2012, 01:10 PM
iPhones are fine as long as the one feature they have that beats Android is worth the much, much larger cost: excellent integration with iTunes.

dont forget higher resell value as well, but yes...only itunes integration is worth it. I mean it took me 10 seconds to sync my gmail acct and calendars when your droid would have taken 8 but eh.

hades
07-03-2012, 01:34 PM
No prob DB. The GNote that Steven is looking at has a monster battery, which is part of the reason it runs as long as it does. As for the 4g thing....I'm running on 4g LTE, much much faster than 3g. Not even close. My download and upload speeds are insanely fast (20mb + down, 10mb + up). That is almost as fast as my business class cable modem connectivity at the house. It will come down as they get more people on the 4g LTE network, but until then...smokin'.:pimp:

I was in Fort Worth the other day and ran the SpeedNet speed test on my Galaxy Note. I was very surprised how fast it was. It think it was 42 megs up, 25 megs down, or something close. Freaken A, it is fast!

Ran a test with my wife sitting next to me on her iPhone 4s, we downloaded iHeartRadio. Mine downloaded, installed, set the phone down and ate several bites and a drink before hers downloaded. Crazy faster!

maher_tyler
07-03-2012, 02:25 PM
No offense DB, but that is a load of crap generally fostered by iSheep fanboys. I run my Galaxy Note hard all day on a 4G LTE network in Atlanta a couple of times a week. Does it run the battery down 4-5 times a day? Hell no. The biggest hog is the 5.3 inch screen. Turn down the brightness, and turn off whichever connectivity is not in use and it is no big deal. Oh, and just because of all the hyperbole over it, I picked up a SPARE battery. So if need be, I could actually swap out on the fly whenever I needed to (factory Samsung charger, spare cable, and battery $25 on Amazon). Unlike the iPhones-which if they die, you are hosed. I think I've swapped out the battery, maybe three times in three months. Two of those were due to me being brain dead and not putting the phone on the charger before bed. If you are WiFi you should be able to run all day with heavy use without a problem.

I've heard from people who have a phone with 4g say it eats their battery life. I'm sure in time, it will get fixed. Either way, i'm more than happy with my4s. Also, i don't think they have come out with a Jail Break of the latest IOS update so i'm running the version that came with the phone.

Edit: Looks like there is a Jailbreak for 5.1.1

hades
07-03-2012, 02:37 PM
I can say 1 app that will kill the Galaxy Notes battery, Waze. It's a traffic app (fre) that is updated real time by users. It's really a great app, but I ran over half my battery down driving home in taffic once, and it took 55 minutes! I use it with the car charger plugged in now.

I also have Onavo Count, another free app that tells me if there is a battery hog, cpu hog, etc. Also tells you how much of your data plan you used (as long as you know the reset date, and it is pretty accurate).

Dutch
07-03-2012, 05:40 PM
I can say 1 app that will kill the Galaxy Notes battery, Waze. It's a traffic app (fre) that is updated real time by users. It's really a great app, but I ran over half my battery down driving home in taffic once, and it took 55 minutes! I use it with the car charger plugged in now.

I also have Onavo Count, another free app that tells me if there is a battery hog, cpu hog, etc. Also tells you how much of your data plan you used (as long as you know the reset date, and it is pretty accurate).

Anything that is using GPS, and 4g LTE at the same time, plus the screen, voice commands, etc. will be hard on battery life. The biggest drains are the radios: ie. WiFi, GPS, & 4g LTE. If you are using more than one of them at a time, you'll notice severe battery drain. That said,I always use my Samsung Car adapter when using the driving/map aps now...while it is plugged into the charger (the Samsung I717 auto kit is the bomb, puts the phone into car mode as soon as you hook it up).

Dutch
07-03-2012, 05:46 PM
I was in Fort Worth the other day and ran the SpeedNet speed test on my Galaxy Note. I was very surprised how fast it was. It think it was 42 megs up, 25 megs down, or something close. Freaken A, it is fast!

Ran a test with my wife sitting next to me on her iPhone 4s, we downloaded iHeartRadio. Mine downloaded, installed, set the phone down and ate several bites and a drink before hers downloaded. Crazy faster!

Blistering fast in Texas, Bro'. We found the same thing in San Antonio last month at my Niece's wedding. Advantage of being right there where SBC (At&T) is HQed. Same thing here in Atlanta, former HQ of Bell South (now part of AT&T, they bought them just to get ahold of the Singular customer base and infrastructure).

Dutch
07-03-2012, 06:02 PM
I've heard from people who have a phone with 4g say it eats their battery life. I'm sure in time, it will get fixed. Either way, i'm more than happy with my4s. Also, i don't think they have come out with a Jail Break of the latest IOS update so i'm running the version that came with the phone.

Edit: Looks like there is a Jailbreak for 5.1.1

Just a simple matter of electronics. Higher speed= more data=more juice needed to make it happen. I'm glad you're happy with the 4s. It is a good phone, the GNote just happened to suit my needs better. Apple makes a good product with an eye to aesthetics that is virtually unrivaled. I'm not a hater by any means. Bought my wife an iPad the first Xmas they were available, and have owned an iPod 5th gen since it came out. I was fully prepped to buy an iPhone 4s when we were blindsided by the GNote. Different needs, different solutions. Cool to be living in an era where we can all get what we need/want, ain't it?

Dutch
07-03-2012, 06:09 PM
dont forget higher resell value as well, but yes...only itunes integration is worth it. I mean it took me 10 seconds to sync my gmail acct and calendars when your droid would have taken 8 but eh.

You're not serious, right? Gmail=Google=Android. As for Itune integration, nice little Android App called "doubletwist" will take care of that for you like it is cool. iTunes will become a dinosaur within 1-2 years. Cloud based is where it is all going, plus the idea of paying per song....eh, no. Their (Apple's) proprietary stance is going to kick them in the nuts. Funny as this is exactly what they used to criticize IBM for when they began.

sutoazul
07-03-2012, 06:25 PM
Me and the wife just bought the Iphone 4S, and upgrade from the 3G. We love it!! The battery last the whole day even if you use your phone a lot, and I still sold the 3G phone for $65 online (each). I mean c'mon the other phones are just trying to catch up with the Iphone. Maybe at the end of the year we'll upgrade to the 5 if is worth it, meaning if the new features are that much better.

Doggcow
07-03-2012, 06:39 PM

Have you guys heard of Google Music? It's an exceptional product that will pull all your Itunes automatically.

chadta
07-03-2012, 06:55 PM
Their (Apple's) proprietary stance is going to kick them in the nuts. Funny as this is exactly what they used to criticize IBM for when they began.

thats what almost killed apple back in the 80s and 90s, back when they wouldnt let anybody make software for them, seems this time around they let people make software for them, but they are the only place you can buy it, as long as a jailbreak exsists tho, and honestly thats why i think they need jailbreakers.

Look at all the new features of any ios upgrade, wifi hotspot, camera from lock screen, notification center on lock screen, have all been jailbreak apps for months if not years before they became native to the operating system. They have millions of people developing for them, for free.

Jay3
07-03-2012, 07:02 PM
Have you guys heard of Google Music? It's an exceptional product that will pull all your Itunes automatically.

No offense to them, but Apple people have the ability to wall off everything that's not Apple as not existing. :strong:

Dutch
07-03-2012, 07:55 PM
thats what almost killed apple back in the 80s and 90s, back when they wouldnt let anybody make software for them, seems this time around they let people make software for them, but they are the only place you can buy it, as long as a jailbreak exsists tho, and honestly thats why i think they need jailbreakers.

Look at all the new features of any ios upgrade, wifi hotspot, camera from lock screen, notification center on lock screen, have all been jailbreak apps for months if not years before they became native to the operating system. They have millions of people developing for them, for free.

Yeah, the other thing that almost killed them Both times was S. Jobs not being around to browbeat and scare the underlings into pushing the envelope and making his visions into reality. When left to their own devices without him, Apple quickly came back to the pack in terms of innovation and product desirability. Be interesting to see how long it takes this time around.

maher_tyler
07-03-2012, 11:06 PM
You're not serious, right? Gmail=Google=Android. As for Itune integration, nice little Android App called "doubletwist" will take care of that for you like it is cool. iTunes will become a dinosaur within 1-2 years. Cloud based is where it is all going, plus the idea of paying per song....eh, no. Their (Apple's) proprietary stance is going to kick them in the nuts. Funny as this is exactly what they used to criticize IBM for when they began.

What's so bad about having the opportunity to buy only 1 song? I love that if I don't like all the songs I can just get the ones I like...

Jay3
07-04-2012, 04:32 AM
What's so bad about having the opportunity to buy only 1 song? I love that if I don't like all the songs I can just get the ones I like...

I think he means the Spotify type of model, where you have access to a vast catalog for either free or a small monthly, instead of "owning" a song for $1. He doesn't mean buying a whole album of songs.

Dutch
07-04-2012, 06:35 AM
I think he means the Spotify type of model, where you have access to a vast catalog for either free or a small monthly, instead of "owning" a song for $1. He doesn't mean buying a whole album of songs.

Yep.

DivineLegion
07-04-2012, 07:19 AM
Apple has a space weather ap called space wx, it pulls up to the minute feeds from every major satellite or ground based observation monitoring the sun.

bfoflcommish
07-05-2012, 07:38 AM

no **** google = gmail = droid...my point is all your droid did was sync my google acct and calendar 2 seconds faster I can do everything else including docs and gmail just as fine as a droid can

And who really cares for itunes compared to google music, if you use either you are a sucker either way. Spotify to go is my go to music source and when I want to purchase i use a site thats 20% of itunes prices so thats of no concern in this discussion

Dutch
07-06-2012, 03:59 PM
no **** google = gmail = droid...my point is all your droid did was sync my google acct and calendar 2 seconds faster I can do everything else including docs and gmail just as fine as a droid can

And who really cares for itunes compared to google music, if you use either you are a sucker either way. Spotify to go is my go to music source and when I want to purchase i use a site thats 20% of itunes prices so thats of no concern in this discussion

That was my point, Bro'. We'll see how Apple does without S. Jobs running the ship over the long haul. That has historically been a problem for them. I'm just curious, have you made a decision Steven? Let us know what you decide to do.

baja
07-06-2012, 04:06 PM
Looks like they have hit another home run with the new Mac Book Pro

chadta
07-06-2012, 04:27 PM
you guys pay for songs LOL

baja
07-06-2012, 05:30 PM
you guys pay for songs LOL

Because the artists love to create for free.

Are you proud of being a thief?

chadta
07-06-2012, 06:40 PM
Because the artists love to create for free.

Are you proud of being a thief?

I'm not a thief, I didn't steal anything, the original item is still fully intact in its original location.

Yes i would steal a car if "stealing" the car merely involved touching it to create an exact duplicate, leaving the original intact.

If I download a film, video game, software, song, that I had no intention of buying, or that I do in fact buy after I've seen it and decide it's worth owning, nobody has been deprived of anything. There isn't any lost revenue.

In fact, I should get a commission, because I can think of at least a dozen times I have recommended a program because of using it, to somebody who has ended up buying it over another similar product.

baja
07-06-2012, 06:43 PM
I'm not a thief, I didn't steal anything, the original item is still fully intact in its original location.

Yes i would steal a car if "stealing" the car merely involved touching it to create an exact duplicate, leaving the original intact.

If I download a film, video game, software, song, that I had no intention of buying, or that I do in fact buy after I've seen it and decide it's worth owning, nobody has been deprived of anything. There isn't any lost revenue.

If you download copyrighted material that is intended to be for sale and use it that's stealing so you can add lying to yourself to stealing.

chadta
07-06-2012, 06:47 PM
http://www.investinganswers.com/personal-finance/rich-famous/who-really-profits-your-itunes-downloads-3818

iTunes- musicians need to sell 12,399 songs a month to earn a salary equal to a McDonald’s employee.

Listeners have to stream an artist’s songs 849,817 times on Rhapsody, 1,546,667 times on last.fm and 4,053,110 times on Spotify respectively to earn a monthly salary equal to minimum wage.

You "buy" a song somewhere that pays the artists that you are so worried about a penny a song, and walk around patting yourself on the back.

I guess if it helps you sleep at night

chadta
07-06-2012, 06:54 PM
If you download copyrighted material that is intended to be for sale and use it that's stealing so you can add lying to yourself to stealing.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/stealing

intransitive verb
: to take the property of another wrongfully and especially as a habitual or regular practice

Didn't take anything, the original is still where it was

transitive verb
: to take or appropriate without right or leave and with intent to keep or make use of wrongfully <stole a car>

baja
07-06-2012, 07:09 PM
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/stealing

intransitive verb
: to take the property of another wrongfully and especially as a habitual or regular practice

transitive verb
: to take or appropriate without right or leave and with intent to keep or make use of wrongfully <stole a car>

What a load of shiit!

If everyone did what you do, use copyrighted material for your enjoyment without paying the creators there would be no music.

and it's more than the musician that needs to get paid for the work. sound studios, engineers, studio musicians, marketing distribution to name a few.

If you get caught there are laws that are in place to prosecute you. They are there and enforceable because you are a thief, period. But rationalize away.

broncosteven
07-06-2012, 07:11 PM
http://www.investinganswers.com/personal-finance/rich-famous/who-really-profits-your-itunes-downloads-3818

iTunes- musicians need to sell 12,399 songs a month to earn a salary equal to a McDonald’s employee.

Listeners have to stream an artist’s songs 849,817 times on Rhapsody, 1,546,667 times on last.fm and 4,053,110 times on Spotify respectively to earn a monthly salary equal to minimum wage.

You "buy" a song somewhere that pays the artists that you are so worried about a penny a song, and walk around patting yourself on the back.

I guess if it helps you sleep at night

This is why bands need to tour to make any money. People can't steal (sorry make an exact copy of) a live performance that is worth as much as being there.

I think the big labels screwed up their own industry by not wanting to lower the price of their product over the years but Napster and other sharing sites made a generation (and the generations that follow) think it is ok to not pay for music.

Don't get me started on what Rap/Hippyhop/DJ's have done to popular music. BTW stay off my lawn.

chadta
07-07-2012, 05:38 AM
This is why bands need to tour to make any money. People can't steal (sorry make an exact copy of) a live performance that is worth as much as being there.

Naw, its stealing, its just funny to piss off baja. Besides what happened to all that doing it for the love of music crap ? Anyhow trying to get back to the original topic.

Im going to make a sweeping generalization here, alot of people that go to the iphone, do so just to jailbreak it, not for all the custom tweaks (that apple eventually steals and includes in future updates) that are available on cydia, but they do it to get the free apps ( and by free i mean STOLEN) on installous.

baja
07-07-2012, 05:52 AM
Naw, its stealing, its just funny to piss off baja. Besides what happened to all that doing it for the love of music crap ? Anyhow trying to get back to the original topic.

Im going to make a sweeping generalization here, alot of people that go to the iphone, do so just to jailbreak it, not for all the custom tweaks (that apple eventually steals and includes in future updates) that are available on cydia, but they do it to get the free apps ( and by free i mean STOLEN) on installous.

No you just realized your argument was asinine.

Looks like we can add two faced back peddler to your list of qualities.

chadta
07-07-2012, 06:07 AM
No you just realized your argument was asinine.

Looks like we can add two faced back peddler to your list of qualities.

Yeah thats it, you got me all figured out, I had no idea that it might be wrong, until you showed me the light. If only we could all be as smart as you, but then we would all be in hiding and the cave would get awfully crowded.

Call it what you want, fact is the artists do not lose a cent from me, because i had no intention on buying it in the first place, they didn't lose a potential sale.

baja
07-07-2012, 06:18 AM
Yeah thats it, you got me all figured out, I had no idea that it might be wrong, until you showed me the light. If only we could all be as smart as you, but then we would all be in hiding and the cave would get awfully crowded.

Call it what you want, fact is the artists do not lose a cent from me, because i had no intention on buying it in the first place, they didn't lose a potential sale.

Love how all your group of mindless peeps sing the same song.

Today my cave is my dear friend's 12,000 sq foot estate in Tucson, two days ago it was the Renaissance Hotel in Boston before that it was a nice hotel in CT., tomorrow it will be a beautiful home in La Jolla, Ca. after that that back to Cabo, the Aspen of Mexico. Yup I get to stay in some pretty nice caves but carry on with your nonsense.

baja
07-07-2012, 06:21 AM

No you knew it is wrong you just attempted to justify it and convince me it was OK.

chadta
07-07-2012, 06:52 AM
No you knew it is wrong you just attempted to justify it and convince me it was OK.

Not sure who you think you are that I have to justify anything to you, you sir are delusional, you went on a high and mighty rant about how wrong it is for me, but how good you are for letting itunes rip off the artists.

If you really cared about the artists making money you would buy directly form them, not from itunes, or whatever other options you may use, but this never was about the artists, it was about you feeling good about yourself.

Today my cave is my dear friend's 12,000 sq foot estate in Tucson

12,000 feet, and a dear friend, and all you can think of doing is sitting here arguing with me about how evil I am for taking songs for free and how good you are for paying 2 cents per song to the artist and 97 cents to itunes. WOW, im glad i dont have friends like you.

baja
07-07-2012, 07:31 AM
Not sure who you think you are that I have to justify anything to you, you sir are delusional, you went on a high and mighty rant about how wrong it is for me, but how good you are for letting itunes rip off the artists.

If you really cared about the artists making money you would buy directly form them, not from itunes, or whatever other options you may use, but this never was about the artists, it was about you feeling good about yourself.

12,000 feet, and a dear friend, and all you can think of doing is sitting here arguing with me about how evil I am for taking songs for free and how good you are for paying 2 cents per song to the artist and 97 cents to itunes. WOW, im glad i dont have friends like you.

when embarrassed attack the source - chadta credo

broncosteven
08-08-2012, 08:58 PM
I couldn't wait anymore, my 6 year old Att Tilt battery died (2nd one I have had in its life time) so I broke down and bought the 4S today.

I like it so far, I think texting will take some getting used to, I am bummed that I can't seem to find a way to setup a POP3 or IMAP email connection, they give you 4-5 options for like AOL, GMAIL, HOTMAIL, Exchange but not for anything else that I can find yet but I have only had it a couple hours.

Got the tunes figured out and moved.

Going to order an otter case

Still not sure on the Warranty, I hate having to pay for another phone in advance should this one die...

BTW I know they are coming out with the new phone in a couple months but I don't know if it will be tomorrow or October and I needed a phone now. Sad that they won't sell an up license type option so close to a new release but I don't need bleeding edge tech and it would have been priced another $100 or more higher than what I paid. In the end it is a phone and that is what I needed.

Drunken.Broncoholic
08-08-2012, 09:33 PM
I couldn't wait anymore, my 6 year old Att Tilt battery died (2nd one I have had in its life time) so I broke down and bought the 4S today.

I like it so far, I think texting will take some getting used to, I am bummed that I can't seem to find a way to setup a POP3 or IMAP email connection, they give you 4-5 options for like AOL, GMAIL, HOTMAIL, Exchange but not for anything else that I can find yet but I have only had it a couple hours.

Still not sure on the Warranty, I hate having to pay for another phone in advance should this one die...

BTW I know they are coming out with the new phone in a couple months but I don't know if it will be tomorrow or October and I needed a phone now. Sad that they won't sell an up license type option so close to a new release but I don't need bleeding edge tech and it would have been priced another $100 or more higher than what I paid. In the end it is a phone and that is what I needed.

They are pretty good about the warranty. You are covered for a year no matter what. So if there's a glitch or problem they replace it no problem. So you got until aug 8 2013. If you got the extra apple care it goes beyond. I bought mine in October and just had it replaced for a problem with the speaker you use to listen on phone conversations. They gave me a new one. Your gonna love it and the texting will come natural after you use it a bit.

You mention the new phone, the best part is you still get all the new software that comes with the new phone. So when 5 comes out and has IOS 6, you'll be able to download that new software straight to the phone without hooking up to a computer.

lonestar
08-08-2012, 09:58 PM

Otter box is the best thing you can have..

kept mine dry after falling in the pool the first time..

and hell you can almost throw the thing on the floor.. just bounces.. a little bulky but I'm rough on phones..

Now I'll give you a secret if you go to the Apple store and talk to the Genius bar make an appointment they will help you with all your questions.. They have blindly replaced two phones for me.. one that was also a pool mate.. and another that was almost shattered glass on front and back replaced.. almost no questions asked..

play dumb and they are great about it at least here they are..

Did you get siri?

I'm told that part is great..

I know that some of the tech is or will be better on other phones, but I know I will never change again from apple..

Just installed mountain lion on my mac book pro and my big macs 21" and 27".

I take all my apple stuff to the genius bar about twice a year and ask them questions and if something is not right they fix it for me and I have never been charged had to back up an entourage file on a thumb drive they did it and only charged me for a thumb drive.. loaded my Mountain lion on the mac book and the only cost was for getting it through iTunes.. BTW the same download worked on all three bigger products no additional licenses like other companies..

Might spend a few buck more up front but they take care of you.. BTW those water damaged guys I had ATT wanted to sell me new phones first thing they looked for was the little dots.. When I took it to Apple they looked and replaced them anyway..

Irish Stout
08-08-2012, 10:46 PM
I am bummed that I can't seem to find a way to setup a POP3 or IMAP email connection, they give you 4-5 options for like AOL, GMAIL, HOTMAIL, Exchange but not for anything else that I can find yet but I have only had it a couple hours.

Go to Settings

Go to Mail, Contacts, Calendars

Go to Add Account

Scroll to the bottom, it says Other in a smaller font, click that.

Click Add Mail Account

Type in your name, email and password, click Next

Choose your IMAP/POP3 set up.

maven
08-08-2012, 11:14 PM
after that that back to Cabo, the Aspen of Mexico.

You live in Mexico. I'm not impressed. Clearly it's very important to you since you always have to bring it up, unfortunately it's nothing special where you live.

baja
08-08-2012, 11:18 PM

You can set up POP accounts and IMAP too, just got to do it manually.

baja
08-08-2012, 11:20 PM
You live in Mexico. I'm not impressed. Clearly it's very important to you since you always have to bring it up, unfortunately it's nothing special where you live.

Thanks for taking the time for the feed back, very meaningful to me.