PDA

View Full Version : Solid chat with Polian on ESPN radio

Chris
04-21-2012, 05:45 PM
http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=7836298

Gives you some insights into what GMs might be thinking.

DBroncos4life
04-21-2012, 05:47 PM
I wish he was working for us.

broncolife
04-21-2012, 05:53 PM
Xanders: pepperoni or sausage?

Cito Pelon
04-21-2012, 06:19 PM

He's where he should be at this point. He caught lightning in a bottle in his early years, then went Bobby Beathard in his later years. Maybe not that bad.

broncosteven
04-21-2012, 06:55 PM
Polian has elevated NFL Live. I much rather hear him talk than some just above avg RB who had to retire because of concussions.

R8R H8R
04-21-2012, 06:55 PM
He's where he should be at this point. He caught lightning in a bottle in his early years, then went Bobby Beathard in his later years. Maybe not that bad.

He was totally exposed last year as a GM. It is clear that Manning covered up his weak drafts the last few years. Also, only one championship in the Manning years is on Polian & the coaches, not Manning, IMO.

Lestat
04-21-2012, 07:11 PM
he's a very knowledgeable guy, but there is a reason Indy was so bad, he was whiffing like mad on draft picks in his later years in Indy, if that's any other QB not named Manning he'd have been picking in the top 10 most years.

Bigdawg26
04-21-2012, 07:16 PM
Xanders: pepperoni or sausage?

Hilarious!

Bmore Manning
04-21-2012, 07:17 PM
He had some issues with drafts, one thing I can tell everyone that he was good at finding UDFAs, terrible at early draft picks the last 6 years. He would find some guys that could make plays late in the draft, but because he was to proud to admit his mistakes, or correct them, it kept Indy from achieving SuperBowls.

I wouldn't want Polian near Manning anymore. I will learn more about Xander's, but Polian is a bust. If you strike out on first round picks for so many years, you lost "it".

Chris
04-21-2012, 07:43 PM
I agree with you guys. That being said, it's excellent to have this guy as an analyst.

R8R H8R
04-21-2012, 07:44 PM
He had some issues with drafts, one thing I can tell everyone that he was good at finding UDFAs, terrible at early draft picks the last 6 years. He would find some guys that could make plays late in the draft, but because he was to proud to admit his mistakes, or correct them, it kept Indy from achieving SuperBowls.

I wouldn't want Polian near Manning anymore. I will learn more about Xander's, but Polian is a bust. If you strike out on first round picks for so many years, you lost "it".

Polian was bad in the early part of the draft, but found gems late and undrafted?

Sounds like Shanahan and Dan Reeves. Both would seriously whiff rds 1 thru 3, but usually found at least 1 gem late. Unfortunately, that is what gets you fired, as they all know now.

Br0nc0Buster
04-21-2012, 08:08 PM

why?
he has been a joke of a GM the past several years

lol no wonder Indys oline has been dog**** the past few years, Polian thinks it is a mistake to draft offensive linemen with high picks

peacepipe
04-21-2012, 08:11 PM
Let's see, he built a buffalo bills team that went to 4 straight super bowls,he then went to the carolina panthers that only in it's 2nd yr went to an nfc championship game, & then went to indy where he was smart enough to draft PM over ryan leaf. IDK about you guys but whereever he goes teams win.

Mogulseeker
04-21-2012, 08:12 PM

I mean, he's free right?

That would be awesome.

broncosteven
04-21-2012, 08:50 PM
I mean, he's free right?

That would be awesome.

I wonder how much these guys get paid on NFLN and ESPN to be analysts.

maven
04-21-2012, 09:16 PM
I wonder how much these guys get paid on NFLN and ESPN to be analysts.

Warren Sapp's bankruptcy filing was he was making 440/or $540K a year.

UberBroncoMan
04-21-2012, 09:33 PM
Warren Sapp's bankruptcy filing was he was making 440/or $540K a year.

It's a hard life making more than a doctor.

Bmore Manning
04-21-2012, 10:06 PM
Polian was bad in the early part of the draft, but found gems late and undrafted?

Sounds like Shanahan and Dan Reeves. Both would seriously whiff rds 1 thru 3, but usually found at least 1 gem late. Unfortunately, that is what gets you fired, as they all know now.

He missed on 6 years of first rounders, never targeted O-Line, DT, CB with his first round picks. Just skilled positions guys, and he started whiffing on them. It's ironic how he is suppose to have an eye for talent yet that whole team was bad without Peyton. Everyone said he had a great OLine and weapons, yet they couldn't protect any QB and got Collins on IR, they had one of the worst offenses, defenses.. Yet this is the same team Peyton had in a SB two seasons prior, and an incompetent coach and hurt team cost them a game they had the Jets.

I am thrilled Peyton will have an all around better team in Denver, with two great coaches in Foxy and Del Rio. Elway a man who knows how to build a winner is the icing on the cake! Although this DT issue is just like Indy.. Lol
But Peyton will make this offense amazing, I am ready for the draft, and season.. I will be at the Baltimore Denver game Dec 16TH BABY!

lonestar
04-21-2012, 10:26 PM

HE did a hell of a job in INDY for all those years.. even if Manning was sucking up 20+% of the salary cap..

OrangeSe7en
04-21-2012, 10:45 PM
He was totally exposed last year as a GM. It is clear that Manning covered up his weak drafts the last few years. Also, only one championship in the Manning years is on Polian & the coaches, not Manning, IMO.

You need to look into his background more. He's been successful with more than one team.

Bmore Manning
04-22-2012, 10:29 AM
Polian has BEEN successful, then he list his abilities. This game evolves, Polian didn't evolve with it, much like Parcells, his ways of coaching are now obsolete. It's not old dictators anymore, it's more young players coaches.

R8R H8R
04-22-2012, 11:19 AM
You need to look into his background more. He's been successful with more than one team.

I am fully aware of his background and respect it, but I am talking about the last handful of years with the Colts. I really don't understand how someone can defend his record after seeing what the team looked like after Manning went down.

Also, the fact that Manning only has one championship reflects more on Polian and the coaches(which Polian hired), than it does Manning himself. I think Polian got complacent in his job primarily because Manning masked his mistakes and made things way too easy for him.

Lestat
04-22-2012, 12:21 PM
i'd much rather Parcells be the consultant if we're picking between Bill's.
Polian just fell down on the job in recent seasons with the Colts. he was so obsessed with keeping Manning with weapons that he neglected the team and drafted strictly for scheme rather than talent.

this is proves another thing. Tony Dungy was one hell of a coach and got out at the right time.