PDA

View Full Version : Strategy And Personnel

Bronco Rob
04-21-2012, 06:34 AM
Strategy And Personnel

The Sports Xchange Friday April 20, 2012 - 1:15 PM

TEAM NEEDS

Defensive tackle: Bringing back Justin Bannan after a year with the Rams means that the Broncos have enough tackles to get through a game, but current first-teamers Ty Warren and Kevin Vickerson finished 2011 on injured reserve, and Warren hasn't played a regular-season down since 2009. Bannan is 33, Warren is 31 and the journeyman Vickerson is 29, leaving the Broncos in dire need of young talent here.

Running back: Willis McGahee had a renaissance last year, but is 30 and showed signs of wear late in 2011. Knowshon Moreno struggled even before he tore his anterior cruciate ligament last Nov. 13 at Kansas City; he has not proven he can be the kind of power runner that John Fox prefers.

Cornerback: The Broncos know what they have in perennial Pro Bowler Champ Bailey, free-agent pickup Tracy Porter and second-year nickel back Chris Harris, whose unexpected emergence helped make Andre' Goodman expendable. But Porter is on a one-year contract and Bailey enters his 14th season and will be 34 in June.

Quarterback: Backup Caleb Hanie might get the Broncos through a game or two, but a four-week stint as Chicago's starter last year showed his limitations. Even if Manning's neck holds up well enough for him to play multiple years, the Broncos need to groom an eventual replacement -- who, if needed, could play well enough to keep the team from completely imploding if Manning is hurt, as the Colts did in 2011.

Wide receiver: Third-year receiver Eric Decker appears poised to become Manning's most frequent target, and 2010 first-rounder Demaryius Thomas could have a breakout season. But various injuries sidelined Thomas for 11 games the last two years. The depth behind them isn't spectacular, consisting of free-agent pickups Andre' Caldwell and Brandon Stokley, February signee Jason Hill and Matt Willis, who could fit more as a returner than a receiver.

MEDICAL WATCH

--Three months after having pins removed from his left thumb, OLB Von Miller says that the digit is at "about 85 percent" and "aches a little bit," but hasn't prevented him from weight training and will be 100 percent by the season. Miller tore ligaments in his thumb at San Diego last Nov. 27 but returned -- albeit wearing a club cast -- two weeks later.

--QB Peyton Manning declined to offer an update regarding his recovery from neck surgeries when he met the media after his first official team workout April 16, but WR Eric Decker -- who has worked out with Manning since late March -- doesn't see any issues. "Catching balls from him, it looks like there's nothing wrong to me," Decker said.

FRANCHISE PLAYER
PK Matt Prater (tendered at $2.654 million).

TRANSITION PLAYER
None.

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS

--LS David Binn signed for the divisional playoff loss to New England after a family emergency kept Lonie Paxton from making the trip. The 40-year-old Binn had been out of football since being released by the Chargers on Aug. 30 of last year. Paxton will return, so Binn won't be back.

--SS Brian Dawkins continues to ponder his future after missing four of the last five games with a pinched nerve in his neck, but has said if he plays in 2012, it will be for the Broncos. They'd like him back if he opts to return, but for now will wait. "I want him to be a part of this, but he also has to make the best decision for him and his family," CB Champ Bailey said April 16.

--LB Mario Haggan demonstrated his value in Week 12 at Minnesota, when he filled in for the injured Von Miller and scored on an interception return. He's a locker-room leader who can back up at both outside linebacker slots and defensive end, but no movement has been made to re-sign him in recent weeks.

--G/C Russ Hochstein started both of Denver's playoff games after right guard Chris Kuper suffered a fractured leg in Week 17. He's been the Broncos' steadiest backup offensive lineman the last three years, but the Broncos may look for younger backups than Hochstein, who turns 35 this year.

--DT Marcus Thomas was a more natural fit in John Fox's 4-3 defense than the 3-4 alignment used under Josh McDaniels from 2009-10, but went without a sack for the fourth time in five career seasons. He tested the market, and has publicly spoken of a desire to return to the Broncos.

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS (not tendered offers)

--DL Ryan McBean (tender of $1.26M with fourth-round pick as compensation withdrawn) transitioned from 3-4 end to 4-3 tackle and led all Broncos' defensive tackle in sacks (4.0), but faces a six-game suspension for violation of the league's PED policy. He has filed suit to contest the suspension.

PLAYERS RE-SIGNED

--RB Lance Ball: ERFA; $540,000/1 yr.

--T Chris Clark: ERFA; $540,000/1 yr.

--P Britton Colquitt: ERFA; $540,000/1 yr.

--DE Jason Hunter: UFA; terms unknown.

--LB Joe Mays: UFA; $12M/3 yrs.

--C/G Manny Ramirez: UFA; terms unknown.

--WR Matt Willis: RFA tendered at $1.26M with no compensation); temrs unknown.

--LB Wesley Woodyard: UFA; $4M/2 yrs.

PLAYERS ACQUIRED

--S Mike Adams: UFA Browns; $4M/2 yrs.

--DT Justin Bannan: FA Rams; terms unknown.

--WR Andre Caldwell: UFA Bengals; $1.8M/2 yrs.

--OG C.J. Davis: FA; terms unknown.

--TE Joel Dreessen: UFA Texans; $8.5M/3 yrs.

--QB Caleb Hanie: UFA Bears; $1.25M/1 yr.

--WR Jason Hill: FA; terms unknown.

--QB Peyton Manning: FA Colts $96M/5 yrs, $18M guaranteed.

--CB Tracy Porter: UFA Saints; $4M/1 yr.

--WR Brandon Stokley: FA; terms unknown.

--TE Jacob Tamme: UFA Colts; $9M/3 yrs, $3.5M guaranteed.

PLAYERS LOST

--DT Brodrick Bunkley: UFA Saints; $25M/5 yrs, $9 Million guaranteed.

--TE Daniel Fells: UFA Patriots; $5.25M/3 yrs, $2M guaranteed.

--CB Andre' Goodman (released).

--DE Derrick Harvey: UFA Bengals; terms unknown.

--LB Brian Iwuh (retired).

--FB Spencer Larsen: UFA Patriots; 2 yrs, terms unknown.

--QB Brady Quinn: UFA Chiefs; $1.5M/1 yr.

--TE Dante Rosario: UFA Chargers; 1 yr, terms unknown.

--WR Eddie Royal: UFA Chargers; $13.5M/3 yrs, $6M guaranteed.

--QB Tim Tebow (traded Jets).

--CB Jonathan Wilhite: UFA Bears; 1 yr, terms unknown.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/18707262/strategy-and-personnel

DarkHorse30
04-21-2012, 01:48 PM
I like who we kept, who we got, and who we let go. I can't remember a year where that happened, except around the title years (96,97,98)

TheReverend
04-21-2012, 02:05 PM
I like who we kept, who we got, and who we let go. I can't remember a year where that happened, except around the title years (96,97,98)

I would've liked to keep Bunkley but Bannan is a pretty good consolation prize.

I obviously loved Tim but if you're gonna replace him, the GOAT is good way to go ^5

If I had to make any complaints it would be:

- No try for IOL... wtf man. If Nicks was priced out we shouldve at least brought Grubbs in for a talk.

- We couldve done better at MLB. There's no reason Dan Connor shouldnt be in O&B