PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Mallett for a second-round pick ?

Pony Boy
04-20-2012, 12:04 PM
NFL radio was reporting that director of player personnel Nick Caserio confirms the Patriots will listen to offers for backup quarterbacks Ryan Mallett and Brian Hoyer.

Caserio's wording suggests those calls have yet to be fielded. Mallett would likely cost at least a second-round pick with Hoyer scheduled to hit free agency in 2013. Entering the offseason, Hoyer was still clearly ahead of Mallett on depth chart. Apr. 19 - 4:43 pm et.

I say if we can get Ryan Mallett for a second round pick we should jump on it, he would be perfect to sit behind Manning and has great potential for the future.

BroncoInferno
04-20-2012, 12:07 PM
Mallet was drafted in the 3rd round last season. What in the world has he done since then to increase his value to a 2nd?

alkemical
04-20-2012, 12:08 PM
Mallet was drafted in the 3rd round last season. What in the world has he done since then to increase his value to a 2nd?

Spend a yr on the Pats.

lolcopter
04-20-2012, 12:11 PM
Meth is for white trash

razorwire77
04-20-2012, 12:11 PM
I'd prefer to draft Lindley in the 4th and have him sit, than magically give the Patriots a 1 round bonus for Mallet and have him sit.

BroncoInferno
04-20-2012, 12:12 PM
Spend a yr on the Pats.

When did NE suddenly become a QB factory? I missed that memo.

peacepipe
04-20-2012, 12:13 PM
hmmm... considering NEs defensive needs it's a smart thing to do. Brady isn't going anywhere. NE is looking for picks in this yrs draft & will be drafting heavily on defense.

pricejj
04-20-2012, 12:16 PM
Yep. They know their window is closing, and are targeting 4 picks in the top 50.

They would take Derek Wolfe (DT), Josh Norman (CB), Brandon Brooks (OG), and a top flight RB.

God I hope teams stop dealing with NE and making them richer.

Gcver2ver3
04-20-2012, 12:16 PM
i have zero interest in mallett...

call me when they want to pony up wilfork...

bronco militia
04-20-2012, 12:17 PM
yawn

Pony Boy
04-20-2012, 12:18 PM
Meth is for white trash

When did Mallett do meth? Link please?

That One Guy
04-20-2012, 12:19 PM
Yep. They know their window is closing, and are targeting 4 picks in the top 50.

They would take Derek Wolfe (DT), Josh Norman (CB), Brandon Brooks (OG), and a top flight RB.

Do we still have Maroney on the roster? We can trade him back for that 4th they stole from us.

If not, I'd let Moreno go for that...

DBroncos4life
04-20-2012, 12:30 PM

My guess is they will draft different players.

Mogulseeker
04-20-2012, 12:33 PM
Maybe for a fourth...

pricejj
04-20-2012, 12:33 PM
My guess is they will draft different players.

Well, they did bring those three players in for visits, and they all are very good prospects, at positions of need for them, who will be available at their picks. Quite the haul.

The RB would be Miller, Martin, or Pead.

oubronco
04-20-2012, 12:35 PM
http://gifsforum.com/images/gif/no%20no%20no/grand/2myynwp.gif (http://gifsforum.com/gif/28356)

DBroncos4life
04-20-2012, 12:36 PM
Well, they did bring those three players in for visits, and they all are very good prospects, at positions of need for them, who will be available at their picks. Quite the haul.

The RB would be Miller, Martin, or Pead.

I'm not worried they are not that great at drafting.

pricejj
04-20-2012, 12:45 PM
I'm not worried they are not that great at drafting.

Yeah, Belicheat drafts a million CB's and Safeties, then benches and cuts them within a year or two, pretty much ruining their careers. I freaking hate that guy. The epitome of evil.

DBroncos4life
04-20-2012, 12:49 PM
Yeah, Belicheat drafts a million CB's and Safeties, then benches and cuts them within a year or two, pretty much ruining their careers. I freaking hate that guy. The epitome of evil.

You sure talk a lot about the Pats though.....

Archer81
04-20-2012, 12:53 PM
No one expects the OM Inquisition...

:Broncos:

pricejj
04-20-2012, 12:54 PM
You sure talk a lot about the Pats though.....

Because I want the Broncos to kick the living crap out of them, and destroy the DeathStar that is their whole douche of an organization. We had them with Shanahan...then Belicheat sent "he who shall not be named" to ruin the Broncos.

I bring up their OL, to show that it is important to have good players on the OL, not just some overdrafted weak dudes that they personally placed in the starting lineup (Beadles, Walton).

DBroncos4life
04-20-2012, 12:59 PM
Because I want the Broncos to kick the living crap out of them, and destroy the DeathStar that is their whole douche of an organization. We had them with Shanahan...then Belicheat sent "he who shall not be named" to ruin the Broncos.

I bring up their OL, to show that it is important to have good players on the OL, not just some overdrafted weak dudes that they personally placed in the starting lineup (Beadles, Walton).

The Pats OL is to Brady as Xanders is to Elway. Overrated puppets.

Shananahan
04-20-2012, 01:04 PM
When did NE suddenly become a QB factory? I missed that memo.
http://obsessedwithsports.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/hance-and-cassell.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/__Psd1Q_DoZQ/R5ZKytb8VrI/AAAAAAAABYE/NHLG7Ht3jAE/s400/cassel_pats.jpg

http://sports.popcrunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/tom-brady-matt-cassel.jpg

http://cache.deadspin.com/assets/images/11/2008/11/0001_cassel_01.jpg

http://extreme.statics.msn.com/statics/ImageService.ashx?i=http%3A%2F%2Fstatic.foxsports. com%2Fcontent%2Ffscom%2Fimg%2F2012%2F01%2F29%2F012 912-Know-Whats-Funny-SW-PI_20120129214525411_335_220.JPG&w=304&h=0&c=GJYqoAiT&q=75&m=0&f=jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-1pblErdALnY/ToErBGcZ1KI/AAAAAAAAAHo/8dVy43x_5Nk/s400/matt+cassel.jpg

http://www.kcconfidential.com/userfiles/image/Brandon%27s%20Pics/1-27Cassel_.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/dc7ias.jpg

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
04-20-2012, 01:09 PM
Stop. You want to give a 2nd for a guy we don't have tape on? tell me in what universe this makes sends in??

Tombstone RJ
04-20-2012, 01:09 PM
I don't trust Belicheck. If he wants to trade Mallet I gotta think there's something wrong with this kid. Hoyer is the back up so they have to keep him. Mallet is the young guy and they know that other teams will dump picks on him even if he sucks. The NFL is QB desperate and belly wants in.

That One Guy
04-20-2012, 01:13 PM
I don't trust Belicheck. If he wants to trade Mallet I gotta think there's something wrong with this kid. Hoyer is the back up so they have to keep him. Mallet is the young guy and they know that other teams will dump picks on him even if he sucks. The NFL is QB desperate and belly wants in.

If they wanted to stick with Hoyer as backup, though, why take Mallett at all if not to try to pawn him off in trade? Brady is still at the top of his game, Hoyer is the backup, and Mallett is the guy that was at one point highly touted but fell due to off the field concerns. Mallett is too much to keep as a mere backup but completely useless as a #3 as his contract will expire before he'd ever have a chance of contributing.

Shananahan
04-20-2012, 01:19 PM
If they wanted to stick with Hoyer as backup, though, why take Mallett at all if not to try to pawn him off in trade?
What ever gave you the idea that wasn't exactly what happened?

Dude was a luxury pick for them at extreme value. I always thought it was just a given they would trade him away for more at a later time. Basically a 'We'd prefer to trade this pick for a higher one in the future, but nobody wants to right now so we'll just draft Mallett and do the exact same thing'.

Tombstone RJ
04-20-2012, 01:20 PM
If they wanted to stick with Hoyer as backup, though, why take Mallett at all if not to try to pawn him off in trade? Brady is still at the top of his game, Hoyer is the backup, and Mallett is the guy that was at one point highly touted but fell due to off the field concerns. Mallett is too much to keep as a mere backup but completely useless as a #3 as his contract will expire before he'd ever have a chance of contributing.

They drafted Mallet because he fell to them and he was too good of a value to pass up, so they took him and rightly so. But I don't trust Belicheck, the Broncos have been screwed in the past trading with this guy. He is trying to cash in on Mallet now which I understand but I would not give him a second. He can sit on Mallet for all I care.

pricejj
04-20-2012, 01:25 PM
They drafted Mallet because he fell to them and he was too good of a value to pass up, so they took him and rightly so. But I don't trust Belicheck, the Broncos have been screwed in the past trading with this guy. He is trying to cash in on Mallet now which I understand but I would not give him a second. He can sit on Mallet for all I care.

Exactly. Belicheat drafted Mallett to do exactly what he is doing now. I figured he would try and get a 1st out of Mallett. I hope no team, is stupid enough to fall for it.

Archer81
04-20-2012, 01:43 PM

That's Uhh...sexy...

:Broncos:

barryr
04-20-2012, 01:50 PM
The Broncos trading a higher type pick for a QB only makes sense if they trade down in the draft and can get extra picks. If not, then a stupid move.

Pony Boy
04-20-2012, 02:02 PM

I don't think this the case, New England has put the word out that either Mallett or Hoyer is available for a second.

On Movin The Chains today both Pat Kirwan and Tim Ryan said it would be a no-brainer to give a second for Mallet over taking Ryan Tannehill in the first or second round of the draft.

doonwise
04-20-2012, 02:23 PM
No to Mallet. They guy is an absolute dud and Belicheck doesn't trade prospects with potential.

oubronco
04-20-2012, 02:26 PM
Not going to happen

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2012/0420/20120420__042011_KELI_CFW_-_cfwA~p1_300.jpg (http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20442658/live-chat-nfl-draft-preview-jeff-legwold)

Tombstone RJ
04-20-2012, 02:40 PM
I don't think this the case, New England has put the word out that either Mallett or Hoyer is available for a second.

On Movin The Chains today both Pat Kirwan and Tim Ryan said it would be a no-brainer to give a second for Mallet over taking Ryan Tannehill in the first or second round of the draft.

hmmm...

Agamemnon
04-20-2012, 03:27 PM

Yep. Something is fishy here.

Agamemnon
04-20-2012, 03:28 PM

LOL...that's some kind of stupid right there...

cmhargrove
04-20-2012, 03:33 PM
I hate Belichek, but he is a brilliant wheeler-dealer. The Patriots just own the first two rounds of the draft every year by developing depth and trading (picks and players). If dinks like Tannehill are going in the top 10, I don't see why some teams wouldn't jump at the chance for Mallett.

They're pretty damn good negotiators over there in Beantown.

Agamemnon
04-20-2012, 03:36 PM
I hate Belichek, but he is a brilliant wheeler-dealer. The Patriots just own the first two rounds of the draft every year by developing depth and trading (picks and players). If dinks like Tannehill are going in the top 10, I don't see why some teams wouldn't jump at the chance for Mallett.

They're pretty damn good negotiators over there in Beantown.

Because Mallett is a certifiable retard? There's a reason that he dropped to the third round, and I really don't get why anyone's take on him would've changed by now.

cmhargrove
04-20-2012, 03:41 PM
Because Mallett is a certifiable retard? There's a reason that he dropped to the third round, and I really don't get why anyone's take on him would've changed by now.

I guess that we are about to see what the market thinks about retards, should be fun.

OBF1
04-20-2012, 05:03 PM
NFL radio was reporting that director of player personnel Nick Caserio confirms the Patriots will listen to offers for backup quarterbacks Ryan Mallett and Brian Hoyer.

Caserio's wording suggests those calls have yet to be fielded. Mallett would likely cost at least a second-round pick with Hoyer scheduled to hit free agency in 2013. Entering the offseason, Hoyer was still clearly ahead of Mallett on depth chart. Apr. 19 - 4:43 pm et.

I say if we can get Ryan Mallett for a second round pick we should jump on it, he would be perfect to sit behind Manning and has great potential for the future.

I am so glad that you do not have a say. Spend a 2nd on a position of ZERO need. You sound alot like McDaniels.

Lestat
04-20-2012, 05:06 PM
why in the hell would a team give up a 2nd round pick for a 3rd string QB? he was drafted in the third and hasn't exactly shed the persona that made him drop to the third instead of being a 1st rounder.

i wouldn't deal more than a 5th for him. and that depends on how the coaching staff feels on if they can harness his abilities.

rmsanger
04-20-2012, 07:53 PM

I think spending a year in the company of Brady and Beli that it is worth an extra round...

ClamChowdah
04-20-2012, 08:22 PM
The Patriots will only trade Mallet if someone is desperate and overpays, there is no other reason to trade him.

That One Guy
04-20-2012, 08:26 PM
The Patriots will only trade Mallet if someone is desperate and overpays, there is no other reason to trade him.

Is he viewed as the heir to Brady?

ClamChowdah
04-20-2012, 08:29 PM
Is he viewed as the heir to Brady?

I'd assume so, Belichick had him as the number one QB on the Patriots board last year, above Newton, Dalton, Gabbart, thats why he took him in the 3rd round despite having no use for him.

He won't be traded for anything less than a 1st, nobody has seen much of him, he played great in pre season but didn't dress for games as he was 3rd string, we'll see more of him this pre season.

RaiderH8r
04-20-2012, 09:24 PM

No ****. The Pats did the same thing with Moss. Got him for a 4th, used him up and flipped him for a 3rd.

Pony Boy
04-20-2012, 09:35 PM
No to Mallet. They guy is an absolute dud and Belicheck doesn't trade prospects with potential.

Belicheck doesn't have duds on his roster ........

ZONA
04-20-2012, 10:01 PM
F_ _ _ the Patriots and Billycheat. This is what they do. Mallet did nothing in the NFL last year and has proven NOTHING in the NFL. Why in the hell would we give up a 2nd for him? F that

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
04-20-2012, 10:04 PM

How do you know? I know this you can't point to a piece of tape with Mallett against NFL defenses as proof that Mallett is worth anything.

RaiderH8r
04-20-2012, 11:56 PM

Pony Boy Matt Cassell on line one for you.

FantomForce
04-21-2012, 12:05 AM
sold

KipCorrington25
04-21-2012, 12:34 AM
Let's see, McCheat is now the OC there, and McCheat now thinks the guy sucks and wants to trade him. Now understanding talent to McCheat is like Kryptonite to Superman I'd say the guy is probably pretty good.

DBroncos4life
04-21-2012, 08:37 AM

Hilarious!

Arkie
04-21-2012, 10:46 AM
I'd assume so, Belichick had him as the number one QB on the Patriots board last year, above Newton, Dalton, Gabbart, thats why he took him in the 3rd round despite having no use for him.

He won't be traded for anything less than a 1st, nobody has seen much of him, he played great in pre season but didn't dress for games as he was 3rd string, we'll see more of him this pre season.

He was the #1 QB based on his two years at Arkansas: 7500 yds, 62 TDs, 19 Ints and a career 158 rating. He fell because of other concerns. Has he done anything off the field in New England that justifies his slide to the 3rd?

TheReverend
04-21-2012, 11:20 AM
Thread title is nothing shy of insanity.

broncosteven
04-21-2012, 12:26 PM
No to Mallet, I would rather see them draft a kid with that pick than waste it on a guy who has had off field issues in the past.

broncosteven
04-21-2012, 12:27 PM
Pony Boy Matt Cassell on line one for you.

I think he is starting to wiff more often than hit over the last couple years but finds like Gronk and Hernandez mask them.

Plus Gronk may turn out to be the injury risk that he was said to be coming out of college.

RaiderH8r
04-21-2012, 12:52 PM
I think he is starting to wiff more often than hit over the last couple years but finds like Gronk and Hernandez mask them.

Plus Gronk may turn out to be the injury risk that he was said to be coming out of college.

I do love that Cassell ended up on the sole of KC's shoe but our pursuit of him and the ensuing ****storm really soured me on McKid.

Dr. Broncenstein
04-21-2012, 02:48 PM
No to Mallet, I would rather see them draft a kid with that pick than waste it on a guy who has had off field issues in the past.

It's pretty amazing to hear all of these "off the field trouble" reports. I don't remember any of them and I watch every Arkansas game. I do remember a highly productive quarterback with a great arm.

DENVERDUI55
04-21-2012, 03:04 PM

As good as Pats have been manipulating draft day trades and aquiring picks they haven't been good at drafting. They are like anyone else few hits and a lot of junk. Brady s has kept them above water for drafting poorly really. Franchise QB s do that. Unlike Denver who has mostly drafted junk.

Lestat
04-21-2012, 06:40 PM

look at their overall draft history and current state of their defense.
they have plenty of turds on the roster.

they gobble up picks like mad but they don't amount to much and when they do they trade them away for more picks so they don't have to pay them.

Aftermath
04-21-2012, 07:20 PM
I'd give them a 3rd or 4th. I like Mallett.

broncosteven
04-21-2012, 07:52 PM
It's pretty amazing to hear all of these "off the field trouble" reports. I don't remember any of them and I watch every Arkansas game. I do remember a highly productive quarterback with a great arm.

Didn't he get busted for blowing weed or something?

Dr. Broncenstein
04-21-2012, 07:59 PM
Didn't he get busted for blowing weed or something?

You're the one citing off field issues. I'm a U of A alum and follow the team pretty closely... and all of this trouble maker business is news to me.

TheChamp24
04-21-2012, 08:07 PM
First off, to the person saying the Pats need to draft a RB, they just spent a 2nd and 3rd round picks on RB's last year. They aren't drafting another RB.

Second, Mallet has a rocket arm, but iffy decision making and didn't do so well under pressure.
Plus, I'm almost positive he had cocaine issues. Whoever said they are an Arkansas alum, you gotta be kidding me you didn't hear the rumours. I just googled "Ryan Mallett drugs" and there are several articles, one stating Mallett ADMITTED to drug use. That was a huge factor, plus his intelligence was highly questioned I believe.

broncosteven
04-21-2012, 08:56 PM
You're the one citing off field issues. I'm a U of A alum and follow the team pretty closely... and all of this trouble maker business is news to me.

This would not be the 1st time I was wrong.

broncosteven
04-21-2012, 09:01 PM
First off, to the person saying the Pats need to draft a RB, they just spent a 2nd and 3rd round picks on RB's last year. They aren't drafting another RB.

Second, Mallet has a rocket arm, but iffy decision making and didn't do so well under pressure.
Plus, I'm almost positive he had cocaine issues. Whoever said they are an Arkansas alum, you gotta be kidding me you didn't hear the rumours. I just googled "Ryan Mallett drugs" and there are several articles, one stating Mallett ADMITTED to drug use. That was a huge factor, plus his intelligence was highly questioned I believe.

1st off, I saw on NFL Live that BGE went to Cincy as a FA, do you need the $ that bad to leave a SB team for the Bungles? I know that the Red Rocket gives them some hope but your leaving the Pats for the Bungles!
Anyway that leaves them with Woodhead and 2 other young guys which is why they were looking at signing Hightower.

2nd - I thought I heard drug rumors about Mallet.

Arkie
04-21-2012, 10:54 PM
I heard the drug rumors about Mallet before the draft, but not while he was playing at Arkansas. A lot of Arkansas fans were surprised by the rumors. I googled "Ryan Mallett drugs" and the articles are all 2011 or later.

lonestar
04-21-2012, 11:00 PM
do we have to have a new thread for every player that "might" hit the market.. can't they all be placed in one thread.. and for that matter why would it every reach 90 posts..

kcbroncofan
04-22-2012, 04:19 AM
Pioli said in a news conference last week that the Patriots draft a QB every year if they can. If the guy turns into Tom Brady....Great. If not they know that QB's have bloated value in todays NFL. Esp. QB's from New England. He's trying to do the same thing in KC i.e. Ricky Stanzi. Piolis lips are starting to get loose. I bet Belichek sends Mccheat to KC soon to destroy the franchise.

Pony Boy
04-22-2012, 07:25 AM
do we have to have a new thread for every player that "might" hit the market.. can't they all be placed in one thread.. and for that matter why would it every reach 90 posts..

The thread is about a backup quarterback and someone that would be a able to run the same offence if Manning goes down.............. Mallett can make all the throws required to run a Manning style offence.

Pick Six
04-22-2012, 08:42 AM
We have Caleb Hanie. We got this...

RaiderH8r
04-22-2012, 10:13 AM
We got Manning magic. Cancel the season. Trophy is ours.