PDA

View Full Version : We tried to get Asante Samuel in a trade

spdirty
04-19-2012, 09:44 PM
Asante Samuel reportedly targeted by Denver Broncos in trade

The Denver Broncos expressed interest in acquiring four-time Pro Bowl cornerback Asante Samuel from the Philadelphia Eagles, two sources told the Denver Post on Thursday.

Reuter: Impact DB prospects

This draft class is deep at corner but lacks NFL-ready safeties. Chad Reuter pinpoints potential difference makers at DB. More ...

The talks were so far along that the Broncos presented the Eagles with two proposals: one involving a fifth- or sixth-round draft pick, the other involving an undisclosed player. But the Broncos don't believe they will be able to strike a deal with the Eagles, who are shopping Samuel.

The Tennessee Titans and Detroit Lions also have been rumored as potential suitors for the four-time Pro Bowl cornerback.

Samuel still has two years left on his contract. He's owed $10 million with a $100,000 offseason workout bonus next season and $11.5 million with a $100,000 workout bonus in 2013.

Samuel started 14 games for the Eagles last season, recording 34 tackles, one forced fumble and three interceptions.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8287588b/article/asante-samuel-reportedly-targeted-by-denver-broncos-in-trade?module=HP11_headline_stack

El Guapo
04-19-2012, 09:47 PM
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=104906

spdirty
04-19-2012, 09:52 PM
well ****. Thought for once id be the first guy with the news. Turns out I'm 3 days late.:dummy:

BroncoFanatic
04-20-2012, 06:26 AM
I hope this means that we aren't going to get him. Way overrated at this point in his career, from watching games in the Philly market

cmhargrove
04-20-2012, 06:28 AM
Not exactly who I want, but a fifth or sixth round pick for a starting caliber player? Smart move.

I hope the FO is looking at possible DT trades this week also.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
04-20-2012, 06:30 AM
The moon.

We landed on it.

eddie mac
04-20-2012, 08:03 AM
well ****. Thought for once id be the first guy with the news. Turns out I'm 3 days late.:dummy:

You aren't late at all. No-one on this board even knew we'd made a move until Klis mentioned it and that thread never mentioned **** until today.

Infact the majority of knowledgeable posters stated we wouldn't cos he is not a good fit here. Seems our coaches think he is.

Who knew, a coach over a fan.

TonyR
04-20-2012, 09:01 AM
https://twitter.com/#!/MikeKlis/status/193346196981551105

Regarding Asante Samuel trade talks, problem isn't compensation w/Eagles. Problem is Samuel approving restructured (re: paycut) contract.

bronco militia
04-20-2012, 09:15 AM
thank god the football gods stepped in for this trade......WTF

BroncoInferno
04-20-2012, 09:19 AM

Regarding Asante Samuel trade talks, problem isn't compensation w/Eagles. Problem is Samuel approving restructured (re: paycut) contract.

He's probably trying to force the Eagles to release him so he can go where he wants and land another big contract with upfront money.

LRtagger
04-20-2012, 09:31 AM

That is pretty much what I figured.

5th round pick? Sure

$10mil a year? **** no

errand
04-20-2012, 09:46 AM
You aren't late at all. No-one on this board even knew we'd made a move until Klis mentioned it and that thread never mentioned **** until today.

Infact the majority of knowledgeable posters stated we wouldn't cos he is not a good fit here. Seems our coaches think he is.

Exactly....

Sometimes players who don't fit one coach's scheme can excel in another's scheme...

Bmore Manning
04-20-2012, 09:51 AM
Samuel is great in a zone, which Philly ran. It's also why Asomugha struggled year one there, he is used to man to man. Del Rio used Rasean Mathis in a zone, Samuel could excell in a similar role. And I'm not sure about this he can't tackle stuff, he's no sound tackler, but Samuel will blast people when they aren't looking or right after the catch.

If he reduces the contract or extends that money over another year or two that would make him inticing. They could eventually use Bailey in the FS/Nickel role that Charles Woodson plays in GB.

TheReverend
04-20-2012, 09:55 AM

Indicates a departure in defensive coverages, imo.

I'm all for more zones and Samuel :)

eddie mac
04-20-2012, 11:04 AM
Indicates a departure in defensive coverages, imo.

I'm all for more zones and Samuel :)

I know Del Rio wasn't the DC in Jagsville but what coverage do they utilise there???

TheReverend
04-20-2012, 11:51 AM
I know Del Rio wasn't the DC in Jagsville but what coverage do they utilise there???

Man heavy. And he did run the defense a couple of the years there (not last year though)