PDA

View Full Version : Positions of Need and Value

Bmore Manning
04-19-2012, 12:40 PM
When drafting the common thought is to take Best Player Available, let's be honest, this is not usually the case. In fact teams cross need with best player available, this represents the greatest value to the team. This is not always the case, teams will take BPA if they do not have holes on their roster, or a player falls much lower than expected.. I.E. Aaron Rodgers.

With the draft coming a week from today, it is absolutely imperative the FO nail the draft and find impact players/starters. Elway has said rounds 1-3 represent starters which is very common and the rest of the rounds should represent upgrades, potential starters, or impact players.

If rounds 1-3 represents starters, my question is which three positions should be addressed, and what round and player 1-3?
My Opinion:

Positions of need
UT, NT, WLB, RB, CB

Positions could use an upgrade
MLB, C, G, S, DE, Slot WR

Based on need and projected value I would like to see CB and DT addressed early, I think RB and LB are in the 3-4 range with a run stuffing NT who can push the pocket also in the mix.

A corner has to be taken with one of the first two to three picks, Bailey isn't getting younger, Porter is on a one year deal, and most impactful DBs are taken in early rounds of the draft. It becomes an expensive position to upgrade through FA. Having said that while DT is a need, unless one of the top DTs fall, I see more value to take one in round two then to reach when round one needs to make a difference. Even a CB on the Broncos taken in round one would be a rotational guy his first year but it shows better long term value.

What positions and in what order should the broncos address them in the draft?

DENVERDUI55
04-19-2012, 12:50 PM
CB OL DT in first for me. Where we are sitting at 25 is good spot for G or C. I wouldn't mind Fitz either. They don't bust very often. DT in second for sure.

Baba Booey
04-19-2012, 12:53 PM
I think they like the receivers they have, but if a guy like Broyles is there in, say, the fourth, I think we should jump on it. Tough as nails, more fundamentally sound than pretty much any receiver in the draft, and produced at an absurd level in college. Would be going much higher if he never got hurt, but they say he's recovered miraculously (torn ACL I believe). Ran in the 4.5's post-injury on a pretty short turnaround.

Baba Booey
04-19-2012, 12:54 PM
Speaking of value, Marcus Forston in the fifth. Do it.

Frosty78
04-19-2012, 01:14 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if they trade down at the position they are at in the draft. Elway has said they are drafting the best possible player regardless of position so it's going to be hard to project who they will pick. I think they like Doug Martin, Kirkpatrick, and Reyes for sure. That said, I just have a weird feeling the Coby Fleener will be our pick.

pricejj
04-19-2012, 01:32 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if they trade down at the position they are at in the draft. Elway has said they are drafting the best possible player regardless of position so it's going to be hard to project who they will pick. I think they like Doug Martin, Kirkpatrick, and Reyes for sure. That said, I just have a weird feeling the Coby Fleener will be our pick.

Fleener would be an awesome option...

BroncoInferno
04-19-2012, 01:35 PM
I like Fleener, but I can't see where he fits. We signed Tamme and Dreesen in FA and invested 2 picks in TEs in last years draft. Unless they are writing off Orange Julius and Virgil Green already, I can't see them going with Fleener.

BroncoBen
04-19-2012, 01:44 PM

Really.. Coby Fleener, another TE ? I don't see it.. even if you go with the BAP (Best available player), I just don't see him as a BAP at #25 either.

No the more I read, the more I have a feeling the Broncos are going to go offense with the #25 pick. Too much depth at the DT coming out this year.

Now unless a player like LB Dont'a Hightower out of Alabama falls to #25.. I can see the Broncos drafting RB Doug Martin out of Boise State or WR Kendall Wright; Baylor. Both of these players will be immediate starters and special teams players.

And it has been noted more than once Elway is looking for 2-3 starters in this years draft.

pricejj
04-19-2012, 01:56 PM
I like Fleener, but I can't see where he fits. We signed Tamme and Dreesen in FA and invested 2 picks in TEs in last years draft. Unless they are writing off Orange Julius and Virgil Green already, I can't see them going with Fleener.

Fleener is just as fast as Decker, but is 6'5", and would be an absolutely deadly WR option.

Kendall Wright is a GAMEBREAKER.

Jonathan Martin, Peter Konz, or Mike Adams...all good picks.

Would be happy with Hightower or Nick Perry as well...

Frosty78
04-19-2012, 01:57 PM
The only player at 25 that is actually worth the 25th pick is Kirkpatrick. Which is why I said I wouldn't be surprised if they traded down. At that point Reyes and Doug Martin would be in play along with Coby Fleener.

Frosty78
04-19-2012, 02:10 PM
Fleener is just as fast as Decker, but is 6'5", and would be an absolutely deadly WR option.

And weighs 247 while running the 40 in the 4.45 range.

pricejj
04-19-2012, 02:22 PM
The only player at 25 that is actually worth the 25th pick is Kirkpatrick. Which is why I said I wouldn't be surprised if they traded down. At that point Reyes and Doug Martin would be in play along with Coby Fleener.

I'm not sold on Kirkpatrick...he might be a little slow to be an elite CB. I'm not sure he could hang with most #1/#2 WR's in the NFL. He also only had 3 INT's over his entire college career.

Fleener/Wright would own him 1-on-1.

Frosty78
04-19-2012, 02:28 PM
Won't matter. He's probably not getting past the Lions or Bengals.

pricejj
04-19-2012, 02:35 PM
Won't matter. He's probably not getting past the Lions or Bengals.

...or Steelers

Frosty78
04-19-2012, 02:39 PM
...or Steelers

True, I think they'll have a hard time passing on Hightower though. Draft is always a guessing game after the first 5 picks.

cmhargrove
04-19-2012, 02:44 PM
I think the thing we know, is that we just don't know how this group will draft (again).

We saw some of the Elway + Fox + Xanders drafting style last year, but who is to say JDR or Manning don't have a strong influence on our future decisions? If I was protecting my new $96 million dollar toy, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that finding a true pass blocking Right Tackle would be my first priority (and a good value at pick 25). Although, I don't feel strongly that is where our team will go because we also desperately need defense. So, we have needs and holes everywhere, and that is also a good thing. We can hardly go wrong because we can get better at almost every position across the board.

We just don't know a thing about this group (except we do know which one goes to get the pizza).

pricejj
04-19-2012, 02:59 PM
True, I think they'll have a hard time passing on Hightower though. Draft is always a guessing game after the first 5 picks.

Yep. Here's levels of excitement, based on who we pick in the 1st round:

1. Fist pumping sprint toward endzone: Kendall Wright, Coby Fleener

2. Look of elation while squealing the Range out of Dove Valley: Jonathan Martin, Pete Konz, Dont'e Hightower, Mark Barron, Derek Wolfe, Nick Perry, Cordy Glenn

3. Throat cough: Devon Still, Mike Adams, Kendall Reyes, Michael Brockers, Dre Kirkpatrick, Chandler Jones, Lamar Miller, Andre Branch

4. We're just trying to win a MOTHER****ING game: Doug Martin

5. DO YOUR JOB!!: Jerel Worthy, Janoris Jenkins, Dontari Poe

Requiem
04-19-2012, 03:07 PM
I've already came to terms with the fact that we will be picking a loser.

pricejj
04-19-2012, 03:11 PM
I've already came to terms with the fact that we will be picking a loser.

You would only be happy with Worthy?

Frosty78
04-19-2012, 03:14 PM
Yep. Here's levels of excitement, based on who we pick in the 1st round:

1. Fist pumping sprint toward endzone: Kendall Wright, Coby Fleener

2. Look of elation while squealing the Range out of Dove Valley: Jonathan Martin, Pete Konz, Dont'e Hightower, Mark Barron, Derek Wolfe, Nick Perry

3. Throat cough: Devon Still, Mike Adams, Kendall Reyes, Michael Brockers, Dre Kirkpatrick, Chandler Jones, Lamar Miller

4. We're just trying to win a MOTHER****ING game: Doug Martin

5. DO YOUR JOB!!: Jerel Worthy, Janoris Jenkins, Dontari Poe

I'd agree with most of what you said here except in regards to Doug Martin. Don't think we will be picking O-Line early though.

pricejj
04-19-2012, 03:18 PM
I'd agree with most of what you said here except in regards to Doug Martin. Don't think we will be picking O-Line early though.

Jonathan Stewart is better than Doug Martin, and we could trade Carolina our 2nd round pick to get him.

***although I'm hoping we can snag JStew for #87 overall

Frosty78
04-19-2012, 03:24 PM
Stewart is better, but he's going to want a big contract, which is why I don't see us trading for him. Carolina won't get a second rounder for him though.

pricejj
04-19-2012, 03:41 PM
Stewart is better, but he's going to want a big contract, which is why I don't see us trading for him. Carolina won't get a second rounder for him though.

I can't see him landing too much more than Tolbert did. I'm sure he would accept ~$2.6M per year, like he is scheduled to make this year, which doesn't break the bank. If we picked Doug Martin, he would get $2M.

Heck, Stewart might even be cut prior to June 1...

DBroncos4life
04-19-2012, 03:49 PM
I can't see him landing too much more than Tolbert did. I'm sure he would accept ~$2.6M per year, like he is scheduled to make this year. Which doesn't break the bank. If we picked Doug Martin, he would get $2M.

Heck, Stewart might even be cut prior to June 1...

Uhh

pricejj
04-19-2012, 03:54 PM
Well Carolina does have over $12M tied up in the RB position...but they are under the cap, so I guess it doesn't make much sense.

Plus Tolbert is an FB...so you can still justify keeping Stewart...

Requiem
04-19-2012, 03:54 PM
You would only be happy with Worthy?

No, but Denver is about ready to f'uck themselves in the mouth.

Kirkpatrick will be gone. Gilmore will be gone.

Alameda Ta'amu expects the Rams to take him with their first pick in the second round. Which makes sense, because some people believe the Rams might take Cox @ 5. If they don't, Ta'amu is gone at #37.

That means we will probably get some chump ass pussy to play DT this year.

So ****ing lame.

We are gonna blow this ****.

Bmore Manning
04-19-2012, 08:32 PM

Alameda Ta'amu expects the Rams to take him with their first pick in the second round. Which makes sense, because some people believe the Rams might take Cox @ 5. If they don't, Ta'amu is gone at #37.

That means we will probably get some chump ass p***Y to play DT this year.

So ****ing lame.

He expects the Rams to take him @33?
I like Chapman, Thompson, and Jean-Baptise is growing on me, he can actually push the pocket well.

BroncoBuff
04-19-2012, 08:44 PM
NT - Fangupo 5th or 6th, Jean-Baptiste CFA
OT - Zebrie Sanders 4th - authentic OT, made all-conf playing half LT, half RT. Move Orlando to G
ILB-SPEC - Audie Cole 6th - definite gamer, Spencer Larsen-type. Watch the Pats draft him

Bmore Manning
04-19-2012, 08:53 PM
OT - Zebrie Sanders 4th - authentic OT, made all-conf playing half LT, half RT. Move Orlando to G
ILB-SPEC - Audie Cole 6th - definite gamer, Spencer Larsen-type. Watch the Pats draft him

If Denver got Zerbie Sanders in the fourth and Jean-Baptiste as an UDFA I would be ecstatic!

CEH
04-19-2012, 09:07 PM
Need is a terrible draft evaluator

Bmore Manning
04-19-2012, 09:09 PM
Need is a terrible draft evaluator

None the less it is factored in, a balance of BPA and need.

Frosty78
04-20-2012, 01:06 PM
Legwold answered my question in today's chat in regards to best guess on who the Broncos pick in the first round. Take it for what it is worth:

Jeff Legwold:
They're not saying...and way down at 25 it's difficult for even the Broncos to predict who might be there. History says one highly-rated player will fall to that area -- Baltimore has made a living off snatching those guys up -- so they'll have their shot at folks with some quality resumes...I'd say if things hold, and they almost never do :)...it will be a group of Worthy, Fleener, Martin and perhaps Hightower and/or Kirkpatrick

CEH
04-20-2012, 02:08 PM
Jeff Legwold:
They're not saying...and way down at 25 it's difficult for even the Broncos to predict who might be there. History says one highly-rated player will fall to that area -- Baltimore has made a living off snatching those guys up -- so they'll have their shot at folks with some quality resumes...I'd say if things hold, and they almost never do :)...it will be a group of Worthy, Fleener, Martin and perhaps Hightower and/or Kirkpatrick

Funny that my quote about need being a terrible evaluator came directly from Billick . Seems to me BALT is one if not the best drafting team in the NFL

cmhargrove
04-20-2012, 03:20 PM

Hell yeah on Fangupo in the fifth. I think that Ta'amu will probably take a year to become a quality starter, Fangupo could very much be on the same schedule. He would fit the bill as a big, fat run-stopper just fine.

The more I have been looking at the first round talent, the less convinced I am that we will take a DT there. I think that Brockers could be a difficult one to pass up if he fell to 25, but I could see us just waiting until rounds 2-5 to pick up a DT.

CEH
04-20-2012, 08:49 PM
Eagles admit Jaiquawn Jarrett was a poor pick.

While Andy Reid and general manager Howie Roseman both think Jarrett eventually will develop into a solid NFL starter, their decision to draft for need and take him last year helped them realize that they need to focus less on drafting for need and more on taking the best player on their board.

"At some point, you get entrenched into what your team needs," Roseman said last month. "And because we were so determined to win a championship as quickly as possible, we wanted to address those [needs] as quickly as possible. We thought we were close to getting over the hump and felt if we could just get this [position addressed], it would complete our team.
"But when you look back at many of our successful [draft] picks, they were situations where we took the best players [regardless of position]. It's something I believe in. It's something we're going to get back to."

DENVERDUI55
04-20-2012, 09:03 PM
Eagles admit Jaiquawn Jarrett was a poor pick.

While Andy Reid and general manager Howie Roseman both think Jarrett eventually will develop into a solid NFL starter, their decision to draft for need and take him last year helped them realize that they need to focus less on drafting for need and more on taking the best player on their board.

"At some point, you get entrenched into what your team needs," Roseman said last month. "And because we were so determined to win a championship as quickly as possible, we wanted to address those [needs] as quickly as possible. We thought we were close to getting over the hump and felt if we could just get this [position addressed], it would complete our team.
"But when you look back at many of our successful [draft] picks, they were situations where we took the best players [regardless of position]. It's something I believe in. It's something we're going to get back to."

I agree with BPA. Sometimes you take a guy for need and it works out better in the short term when the team would of been much better off 5 years down the road by taking the BPA.

OBF1
04-20-2012, 09:16 PM
Fleener would be an awesome option...

Fleener would be a wasted draft pick for what we spent in free agency this past off season.

pricejj
04-20-2012, 09:46 PM
Fleener would be a wasted draft pick for what we spent in free agency this past off season.

Fleener is better than Gronkowski, and will probably be the BPA at #25.

Xanders was stupid for letting Bunkley go, then overpaying for two marginal TE's.

Passing on Fleener would be a great example on how reaching for positions of need isn't the best draft strategy.

Mogulseeker
04-21-2012, 12:48 AM
I remember Xanders or Elway of someone on 9News telling them that BPA usually means "best player available at a position of need."

That is, if we're loaded at BPA, we go with another guy. I don't really see this team loaded at any one position - except maybe pass rusher.

Bmore Manning
04-21-2012, 06:12 AM
I would target a trade down with Indy for Coby Fleener. Luck will have Wayne, Collie, Avery.. They have no TE, that's a weapon for Luck for a long time. Grab their second and something else easy.

Denver taking Fleener would be perplexing after taking Tamme and Dreesen.

BroncoInferno
04-21-2012, 06:56 AM

Based on what ridiculous standard is Fleener better than Gronkowski? Fleener runs a faster 40, that's it. Gronk had far superior numbers in college, he's bigger, he's a better blocker, he's capable of playing traditional in-line TE role when need be, or he can flex out. How have you determined that Fleener is better?

Hamrob
04-21-2012, 07:03 AM
Kendall Wright is way over-rated for the pro game. He runs a 4.6 40 and only put up 225lbs 4x. Good luck getting off the line in the NFL or out of your breaks.

This guy has bust written all over him!

I think the Broncos will do the following with their first pick:

1. Wait to see if somebody tumbles (Kirkpatrick, Poe, Brockers, DeCastro, Hightower, etc.) There will be 2-3 that aren't expected to be there. The problem will be the Steelers at #24. They're looking for MLB/CB/DT....just like us.

2. Trade back and pick up an extra 2nd round pick. If a guy that has a top 20 value doesn't fall, they can get similiar value to their 25 pick between 25-48. Therefore, they will look to move back.

3. Take the best player on the board for positon of need. Could be Reyes, Worthy, Thompson.

Punisher
04-21-2012, 07:05 AM

That means we will probably get some chump ass p***Y to play DT this year.

So ****ing lame.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/profiles/donta-hightower?id=2533057

elsid13
04-21-2012, 07:06 AM
Based on what ridiculous standard is Fleener better than Gronkowski? Fleener runs a faster 40, that's it. Gronk had far superior numbers in college, he's bigger, he's a better blocker, he's capable of playing traditional in-line TE role when need be, or he can flex out. How have you determined that Fleener is better?

Nice post.

elsid13
04-21-2012, 07:07 AM
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/profiles/donta-hightower?id=2533057

Hightower doesn't fit the type of LB that Del Rio and Fox like.

Punisher
04-21-2012, 07:09 AM
Dont'a Hightower will be a bronco book it

DENVERDUI55
04-21-2012, 12:58 PM

Now that is funny and that post is a great joke. Really come on now.

CEH
04-21-2012, 01:47 PM
Now that is funny and that post is a great joke. Really come on now.

He meant Dan or the other one not named rob otherwise it makes no sense
Crickets waiting for his analysis

broncosteven
04-21-2012, 02:50 PM
I have a feeling Elway wants to take a CB high.

If they really like Irving then we can take MLB off the list and get a depth guy later.

I wonder if they don't try to get a QB if the guy they like falls to them high.

I think we can address DT in the mid rounds

Later rounds will fill out depth. It would be nice to see them land a C or G to push Walton and Beadles if that is in their plans.

I trust EFX, I thought they did the right thing taking time to evaluate the team last year and they should know now what they need to address.

DBroncos4life
04-21-2012, 02:58 PM
He meant Dan or the other one not named rob otherwise it makes no sense
Crickets waiting for his analysis

Price is on a different dude faster then a pornstar.

Punisher
04-21-2012, 03:17 PM
I have a feeling Elway wants to take a CB high.

If they really like Irving then we can take MLB off the list and get a depth guy later.

I wonder if they don't try to get a QB if the guy they like falls to them high.

I think we can address DT in the mid rounds

Later rounds will fill out depth. It would be nice to see them land a C or G to push Walton and Beadles if that is in their plans.

I trust EFX, I thought they did the right thing taking time to evaluate the team last year and they should know now what they need to address.

I think this might pan out but i have a feeling they'll take Hightower in the 1st

lonestar
04-21-2012, 05:01 PM
Jeff Legwold:

Funny that my quote about need being a terrible evaluator came directly from Billick . Seems to me BALT is one if not the best drafting team in the NFL

They have a great GM in Ozzie N.

But they have had great base players for years and can afford to draft BPA

IIRC they got a crap load of talent when they came into the league and have drafted well since..

SEL # PLAYER POSITION SCHOOL
1 27 Jimmy Smith DB Colorado
2 58 Torrey Smith WR Maryland

2010 - Baltimore Ravens
RD SEL # PLAYER POSITION SCHOOL
2 43 Sergio Kindle LB Texas
2009 - Baltimore Ravens
1 23 Michael Oher T Mississippi

2008 - Baltimore Ravens
1 18 Joe Flacco QB Delaware
2 55 Ray Rice RB Rutgers

2007 - Baltimore Ravens
1 29 Ben Grubbs G Auburn
4 137 Le'Ron McClain FB Alabama
Jared Gaither T Maryland
2006 - Baltimore Ravens
1 12 Haloti Ngata DT Oregon
2 56 Chris Chester C Oklahoma
3 87 David Pittman DB Northwestern State-Louisiana

2005 - Baltimore Ravens
1 22 Mark Clayton WR Oklahoma
2 53 Dan Cody LB Oklahoma

2004 - Baltimore Ravens
2 51 Dwan Edwards DT Oregon State

2003 - Baltimore Ravens
1 10 Terrell Suggs OLB Arizona State
1 19 Kyle Boller QB California

2002 - Baltimore Ravens
1 24 Ed Reed SS Miami (Fla.)

2001 - Baltimore Ravens
1 31 Todd Heap TE Arizona State
2 62 Gary Baxter DB Baylor

2000 - Baltimore Ravens
1 5 Jamal Lewis RB Tennessee
1 10 Travis Taylor WR Florida
6 186 Adalius Thomas DE Southern Mississippi

1999 - Baltimore Ravens
1 10 Chris McAlister CB Arizona
4 105 Brandon Stokley WR Louisiana-Lafayette

1998 - Baltimore Ravens
1 10 Duane Starks CB Miami (Fla.)
2 42 Pat Johnson WR Oregon

1997 - Baltimore Ravens
1 4 Peter Boulware OLB Florida State
2 34 Jamie Sharper OLB Virginia

1996 - Baltimore Ravens
1 4 Jonathan Ogden G UCLA
1 26 Ray Lewis MLB Miami (Fla.)
2 55 DeRon Jenkins DB Tennessee

Cito Pelon
04-21-2012, 05:24 PM
Myself, I don't have any idea what they'll do at 25 and beyond. I bet they don't know either right now. They'll wait and see who falls and maybe grab a little higher than expected, or wait for offers from teams that want to move up. 25 or thereabouts seems to attract a lot of interest year after year from teams willing to take a chance on a player they know won't be available to them in round 2.

Cito Pelon
04-21-2012, 05:38 PM
They have a great GM in Ozzie N.

But they have had great base players for years and can afford to draft BPA

IIRC they got a crap load of talent when they came into the league and have drafted well since..

SEL # PLAYER POSITION SCHOOL
1 27 Jimmy Smith DB Colorado
2 58 Torrey Smith WR Maryland

2010 - Baltimore Ravens
2 43 Sergio Kindle LB Texas
2009 - Baltimore Ravens
1 23 Michael Oher T Mississippi

2008 - Baltimore Ravens
1 18 Joe Flacco QB Delaware
2 55 Ray Rice RB Rutgers

2007 - Baltimore Ravens
1 29 Ben Grubbs G Auburn
4 137 Le'Ron McClain FB Alabama
Jared Gaither T Maryland
2006 - Baltimore Ravens
1 12 Haloti Ngata DT Oregon
2 56 Chris Chester C Oklahoma
3 87 David Pittman DB Northwestern State-Louisiana

2005 - Baltimore Ravens
1 22 Mark Clayton WR Oklahoma
2 53 Dan Cody LB Oklahoma

2004 - Baltimore Ravens
2 51 Dwan Edwards DT Oregon State

2003 - Baltimore Ravens
1 10 Terrell Suggs OLB Arizona State
1 19 Kyle Boller QB California

2002 - Baltimore Ravens
1 24 Ed Reed SS Miami (Fla.)

2001 - Baltimore Ravens
1 31 Todd Heap TE Arizona State
2 62 Gary Baxter DB Baylor

2000 - Baltimore Ravens
1 5 Jamal Lewis RB Tennessee
1 10 Travis Taylor WR Florida
6 186 Adalius Thomas DE Southern Mississippi

1999 - Baltimore Ravens
1 10 Chris McAlister CB Arizona
4 105 Brandon Stokley WR Louisiana-Lafayette

1998 - Baltimore Ravens
1 10 Duane Starks CB Miami (Fla.)
2 42 Pat Johnson WR Oregon

1997 - Baltimore Ravens
1 4 Peter Boulware OLB Florida State
2 34 Jamie Sharper OLB Virginia

1996 - Baltimore Ravens
1 4 Jonathan Ogden G UCLA
1 26 Ray Lewis MLB Miami (Fla.)
2 55 DeRon Jenkins DB Tennessee

Who did BALT get for the Tebow tradeup? Was it Kindle, Ed Dickson, Dennis Pitta?

Bmore Manning
04-21-2012, 07:02 PM
Who did BALT get for the Tebow tradeup? Was it Kindle, Ed *****on, Dennis Pitta?

Sergio Kendle