PDA

View Full Version : The Draft Just Got Even Better

Beantown Bronco
04-19-2012, 08:51 AM
No more tipping off the picks by showing "the phone call":

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/television-networks-won-t-tip-picks-during-nfl-201745808.html

Swedish Extrovert
04-19-2012, 08:52 AM
I never understood that... they would show the phone call and then act all suprised when the team made the pick.

razorwire77
04-19-2012, 08:53 AM
That's a step in the right direction. Now they just need to go back to the multiple round weekend morning format so I can get my Bloody Mary on without having to go to work the next day.

bronco militia
04-19-2012, 08:54 AM
yeah...go back to the two day draft. I don't need this **** drawn out like an NBA playoff series

oubronco
04-19-2012, 08:58 AM
Shorten the time between picks it's fuggin ridiculous how long it takes

BroncoBen
04-19-2012, 09:00 AM
That's a step in the right direction. Now they just need to go back to the multiple round weekend morning format so I can get my Bloody Mary on without having to go to work the next day.

No kidding... I missed the days of having Brunch and watching the draft, maybe didn't watch the entire thing.. but it was on in the background when I was tooling around the garage.

razorwire77
04-19-2012, 09:00 AM
Shorten the time between picks it's fuggin ridiculous how long it takes

1.) Return the format to Saturday rounds 1-3, Sunday 4-7.

2.) Shorten the time between picks

3.) Eliminate the phone call give away shot (which they did.)

Lestat
04-19-2012, 09:01 AM
the first two rounds should happen on the same day. the rest should be on the 2nd day. way too drawn out now.

BowlenBall
04-19-2012, 09:05 AM
The phone call giveaway shot was the worst... I don't want to know who the pick is until it comes out of Ginger Boy's mouth.

razorwire77
04-19-2012, 09:09 AM
No kidding... I missed the days of having Brunch and watching the draft, maybe didn't watch the entire thing.. but it was on in the background when I was tooling around the garage.

That's exactly what I did too. Have it on in the background, and putz around the house/garage and periodically catch updates and drink. Now they've tried to manufacture rounds 2 and 3 into some sort of separate prime time event from round 1. I'm sorry, I don't need to have a prime time show drag out featuring a live look in at Colt McCoy getting drafted in the ****ing 3rd round.

SonOfLe-loLang
04-19-2012, 09:20 AM
I desperately miss the weekend draft. Im on the west coast and at work during day 1 and most of rounds 2-3

Beantown Bronco
04-19-2012, 09:20 AM
The phone call giveaway shot was the worst... I don't want to know who the pick is until it comes out of Ginger Boy's mouth.

I really wish someone would've had fun with this. If I was one of the prospects invited to sit in the back room, I would've had a friend or family member queued up to call me just before every pick. Then I would've started crying and high fiving everyone at my table. Then, once the actual pick was announced, I would've picked the phone back up and started swearing into it and telling off "the coach" on the other line for lying to me.

Ratings gold.

bronco militia
04-19-2012, 09:22 AM
adam schefter now hates the draft

TheReverend
04-19-2012, 09:23 AM
I like this :)

Rohirrim
04-19-2012, 09:23 AM
I really wish it would go back to a weekend deal. Two days. Relax and watch the draft.

Kaylore
04-19-2012, 09:25 AM
And "now" it's better? Maybe we can get David Copperfield to pull the picks out of a box - like literally pull the players out of a box as their names are called.

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lprr8kCgrb1qg39ewo1_500.gif

Rohirrim
04-19-2012, 09:29 AM
And "now" it's better? Maybe we can get David Copperfield to pull the picks out of a box - like literally pull the players out of a box as their names are called.

Or we could put the players behind doors number one, two and three and then the teams try to decide where their player is hiding. Ryan Seacrest could be the host and the you could put beautiful women in swim suits up there doing that hand model thing like Vanna White.

Musical fanfare...
"Any here's your next linebacker! Dont'a Hightower! Come on down!!!"

sgbfan
04-19-2012, 09:32 AM

2.) Shorten the time between picks

3.) Eliminate the phone call give away shot (which they did.)

And bring in Ryan Seacrest to host and lead the interviews after they are picked.

razorwire77
04-19-2012, 09:34 AM
They also need to bring back draft day drop greenroom awkwardness. None of this let them go backstage bull****. You ****ing stay there and look sad for my amusement Brady Quinn.

Beantown Bronco
04-19-2012, 09:35 AM
Or we could put the players behind doors number one, two and three and then the teams try to decide where their player is hiding.

Take it a step further and do it up "Let's Make a Deal - style" where you hide a "zonk" behind one of the doors.

sgbfan
04-19-2012, 09:37 AM
Or we could put the players behind doors number one, two and three and then the teams try to decide where their player is hiding. Ryan Seacrest could be the host and the you could put beautiful women in swim suits up there doing that hand model thing like Vanna White.

Musical fanfare...
"Any here's your next linebacker! Dont'a Hightower! Come on down!!!"

As long as they have the voice from price is right making the call.

Rohirrim
04-19-2012, 09:38 AM
I say they should have to get through some kind of dancing competition. That would also draw in more of the female audience.

Who wouldn't want to see Dontari Poe doing the tango?

TheReverend
04-19-2012, 09:39 AM
Take it a step further and do it up "Let's Make a Deal - style" where you hide a "zonk" behind one of the doors.

No Whammies, No Whammies, No Whammies, STOP!

lonestar
04-19-2012, 09:40 AM
I like the three-day draft, keeps me interested. Or at least it did when Josh was here, could not walk away at all because he would pull some trade out of his pocket when you did..

Of course I'm retired and have no where I have to be the next day either.. Becaue I schedule NOTHING during that time frame..

It is called planning..

mkporter
04-19-2012, 09:41 AM
They also need to bring back draft day drop greenroom awkwardness. None of this let them go backstage bull****. You ****ing stay there and look sad for my amusement Brady Quinn.

Hilarious!

Now dance, Brady! DANCE!

Rohirrim
04-19-2012, 09:42 AM
And they could do the Wonderlic with a Jeopardy format, hosted by Sean Connery.

Beantown Bronco
04-19-2012, 09:52 AM
And they could do the Wonderlic with a Jeopardy format, hosted by Sean Connery.

Wonderlic? That's what I gave to your mother last night, Trebek.

Mr. Connery, my mother is 84 and infirm.

Oh, she was firm alright.

oubronco
04-19-2012, 10:03 AM
Ba Doom Tish

Bacchus
04-19-2012, 10:25 AM
I like the draft in Primetime. I really only care about the first round and then I'll watch the news and ESPN to catch up on the rest of the draft,

DomCasual
04-19-2012, 10:39 AM
It's still stupid, because they can still report it before it is announced.

It's so easy to fix. Simply tell the teams they cannot make any calls before the card is read. Does the one minute extra they get to talk to a player really make that much of a difference?

Tomeboy58801
04-19-2012, 10:52 AM
I used to make a weekend out of it with a couple of buddies but now that it starts during the week, its not possible. Needs to go back to Saturday and Sunday.

Broncos4tw
04-19-2012, 10:58 AM
To add to the excitement, I think all picks should be made in 20 seconds, and the entire draft done in one day. That'll make it more interesting!

BroncoMan4ever
04-19-2012, 10:58 AM

agreed. even though i love watcing the draft, i do have some **** to do besides the draft on a weekend.

oubronco
04-19-2012, 11:01 AM
To add to the excitement, I think all picks should be made in 20 seconds, and the entire draft done in one day. That'll make it more interesting!

The trades would be epic LOL

Beantown Bronco
04-19-2012, 11:04 AM

The Vikings would be making their first round pick about midway through the fourth round...

TheReverend
04-19-2012, 11:05 AM
The trades would be epic LOL

All the GMs would be in house and loaded on meth scurrying around like rabbits.

TheChamp247
04-19-2012, 11:20 AM
this thread is priceless

bronco militia
04-19-2012, 11:26 AM
Wonderlic? That's what I gave to your mother last night, Trebek.

Mr. Connery, my mother is 84 and infirm.

Oh, she was firm alright.

POW POW!

awesome :giggle:

razorwire77
04-19-2012, 11:51 AM
Every Steeler pick should be immediately followed by a minimum of six rounds of the "She said NO!" chants. This should be true even if it's 2021 and the person announcing the pick is a child with cancer who has no idea who Big Ben is.

OBF1
04-19-2012, 01:55 PM
I like it... A step in the right direction. Maybe do round one Friday afternoon followed by a weekend full of draft. Also cut down the time between picks to 5 minutes the entire draft.

NFLBRONCO
04-19-2012, 01:59 PM

If this happened a few years ago Minn would have missed their whole draft.

Beantown Bronco
04-19-2012, 02:13 PM
If this happened a few years ago Minn would have missed their whole draft.

Beat ya to it. Look up about 5 or 6 posts.

Kaylore
04-19-2012, 02:17 PM
No Whammies, No Whammies, No Whammies, STOP!

:~ohyah!: Vontaze is the whammie.

DomCasual
04-19-2012, 03:19 PM
Has anyone thought about how bad Minnesota would do at the draft, if there was only 20 seconds in between picks?

Just throwing it out there for discussion.

KipCorrington25
04-19-2012, 05:36 PM

Or how about this, let McDaniels make the picks and trades for all the teams, it would be Thunderdome!

http://blog.lib.umn.edu/cspg/peea/images/mad-max-thunderdome.jpg

Archer81
04-19-2012, 05:53 PM
I was unaware the format or showing the guys on the phone was that big of a deal.

:Broncos:

extralife
04-19-2012, 06:28 PM
I don't think anyone likes the three day format. Just something about waking up saturday morning and staring at the draft for like ten hours, man. that **** was real.

That One Guy
04-19-2012, 06:43 PM
After about the second round, just about ever person is followed up by "hmm.. who's he?" when I watch.

And they're talking about doing away with the commentators giving away the pick too. For me, there's nothing more lame than Mayock pretending to guess at the next pick as it's being walked up (and already on Twitter, in many cases) and just guessing like 25+ in a row.

"I think you should keep an eye on..." was code for "I'm being told it's..."

errand
04-19-2012, 07:11 PM
I say they should have to get through some kind of dancing competition. That would also draw in more of the female audience.

Who wouldn't want to see Dontari Poe doing the tango?

How about they have to duke it out against other NFL players like on "The Running Man"?

broncosteven
04-19-2012, 07:14 PM

I agree I hate the new format

errand
04-19-2012, 07:16 PM
It's still stupid, because they can still report it before it is announced.

It's so easy to fix. Simply tell the teams they cannot make any calls before the card is read. Does the one minute extra they get to talk to a player really make that much of a difference?

I know right....it's not like the team is asking the player "will you please come play for us?"

boppool
04-19-2012, 07:20 PM

I think you're on to something, Kaylore... :sunshine:

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
04-19-2012, 08:41 PM
My only thing about this draft is "WHY THE EFFFFFFF IS IT ON THURSDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

maven
04-19-2012, 08:52 PM

I REALLY H8 the new format. I miss the old.

Vegas_Bronco
04-19-2012, 08:53 PM
We need ring girls after each round...preferably the nfl cow moms with the most fatherless kids...now that would be special.

broncocalijohn
04-19-2012, 10:43 PM

Already been done but without the actual humans. 2009 Denver Broncos War Room. Pretty much a huge pile of Failure.

Taco John
04-19-2012, 11:00 PM
The prime time draft format is one of the worst things to ever happen to the NFL. The weekend draft was awesome. I made a weekend out of it and loved it.

Tombstone RJ
04-20-2012, 09:49 AM
This prime time stuff is just another way the NFL is trying to cash in on its own success. I'm not sure if I like it this way or not. Anyone who spends an entire weekend watching the draft has to be in some kind of beer coma to begin with.

I only care about the Broncos picks. Unfortunately the total amount of time spent watching the draft is huge compared to the amount of time spent reporting the Broncos picks during the draft. IMHO, it gets really old really fast.

Beej
04-20-2012, 10:41 AM
:~ohyah!: Vontaze is the whammie.

this just screams to be photoshopped.

That One Guy
04-20-2012, 11:16 AM
This prime time stuff is just another way the NFL is trying to cash in on its own success. I'm not sure if I like it this way or not. Anyone who spends an entire weekend watching the draft has to be in some kind of beer coma to begin with.

I only care about the Broncos picks. Unfortunately the total amount of time spent watching the draft is huge compared to the amount of time spent reporting the Broncos picks during the draft. IMHO, it gets really old really fast.

Ya know... I wonder if they intentionally draw it out so as to have people's TVs on more. Most of us aren't watching tentatively throughout the draft but I can't imagine that matters to anyone. If our TVs are on the channels, they get the ratings for it. So, for them, whether we're sitting in front of the TV white knuckling it or we've got the TV on in the background while we're haggling with Colombian hookers, it's all the same. This way they get the primetime ratings and then the TVs still stay on their channels all weekend anyways for our 5 minute updates.