PDA

View Full Version : Vickerson Takes a Pay Cut

Frosty78
04-18-2012, 08:08 AM
http://www.macsfootballblog.com/2012/04/broncos-dt-kevin-vickerson-takes-pay.html

peacepipe
04-18-2012, 08:12 AM
I keep seeing these moves be it the release of goodman & this. I'm hoping this is about denver preparing to make a move prior to the draft.

Frosty78
04-18-2012, 08:13 AM
I'm thinking the same. Goodman, McBean, and now Vickerson clears up a nice little chunk of change.

g6matty
04-18-2012, 08:15 AM
hopefully we pay clady

peacepipe
04-18-2012, 08:16 AM
hopefully we pay cladyactually,now that you bring up clady,that may be the reason for the moves. when is cladys contract up?

Frosty78
04-18-2012, 08:17 AM
He's a Free Agent next year.

Beantown Bronco
04-18-2012, 08:18 AM
If you were one of the two or three DTs on our current roster, arguably the only healthy one with real NFL experience, why would you ever take a pay cut? What are they gonna do, cut you?

oubronco
04-18-2012, 08:20 AM
Could they be freeing up money to trade for Samuel?

schaaf
04-18-2012, 08:20 AM
If you were one of the two or three DTs on our current roster, arguably the only healthy one with real NFL experience, why would you ever take a pay cut? What are they gonna do, cut you?

Yes. They've already proven that they're willing to do that haha

peacepipe
04-18-2012, 08:21 AM
cladys contract needs to get done. we'll either be paying an arm & a leg for clady next yr(assuming we'll able to keep him) or paying just an arm this yr. I suspect cladys contract is what denver is making room for.

55CrushEm
04-18-2012, 08:21 AM
He's a Free Agent next year.

This. And I agree.....we need to get him resigned. I really don't want to be looking for another left tackle, one year into the Peyton project.

TheReverend
04-18-2012, 08:22 AM
Wouldve been funny if he hadnt and they cut him.

I mean... lol... this place...

RunSilentRunDeep
04-18-2012, 08:28 AM
Bowlen: "What!!!???? Peyton is getting $19M per year? Damnit, don't you realize I'm broke!! Start cutting people now!!!

yerner
04-18-2012, 08:29 AM
damn. just straight up deleted a 400,000 bonus? why would he do that?

Beantown Bronco
04-18-2012, 08:30 AM
Wouldve been funny if he hadnt and they cut him.

I mean... lol... this place...

Seriously.

If I was his agent, I would've advised him to call their bluff. What's the downside? I think he could very easily find some team to pay him at least $1.2 mil this year. That's barely above the league minimum for someone at his level of experience. And if the team cuts him, he's going to cost them somewhere around $2 mil against the cap AND they're gonna have to fill his spot with someone else anyway. In other words, they wouldn't save a dime against the cap by cutting him and in fact it would probably cost them more to do so than simply keeping him at his original figure.

Beantown Bronco
04-18-2012, 08:31 AM

And almost half his salary.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
04-18-2012, 08:40 AM

Maybe because he's a competitor and wants to win. Clearing more space ostensibly means the team can bring in more talent.

He also gets a bonus for appearing in or winning a Super Bowl, so...

pricejj
04-18-2012, 08:48 AM
Good move by Vickerson to keep his spot on the team. $1.2M is much more in order (vs. $2.88M) for a player his caliber. This move also gives them more leverage to resign Marcus Thomas.

It looks like the FO finally agrees (after 3 years) that Kevin Vickerson is, indeed, a backup. It's about time. If they were smart, they would tell him to put back on 15 lbs. and backup Justin Bannan.

Marcus Thomas step on up...

BroncoInferno
04-18-2012, 08:51 AM
Seriously.

If I was his agent, I would've advised him to call their bluff. What's the downside? I think he could very easily find some team to pay him at least $1.2 mil this year. That's barely above the league minimum for someone at his level of experience. And if the team cuts him, he's going to cost them somewhere around $2 mil against the cap AND they're gonna have to fill his spot with someone else anyway. In other words, they wouldn't save a dime against the cap by cutting him and in fact it would probably cost them more to do so than simply keeping him at his original figure.

You can only conclude that his agent was not confident of getting any better than one year at the vet minimum, in which case he's a potential roster cut if he signs with a new team where the coaches aren't as familiar with him. If that's the scenario, he's better off taking a cut and staying in Denver where the coaches already know him and have some regard for his ability. Also, as the roster stands now, Vickerson is a probable starter or at least heavy in the rotation. I doubt if any other team in the league would be able to offer him that kind of playing time.

TheReverend
04-18-2012, 08:52 AM
Maybe because he's a competitor and wants to win. Clearing more space ostensibly means the team can bring in more talent.

He also gets a bonus for appearing in or winning a Super Bowl, so...

lol good one man

bronco militia
04-18-2012, 08:55 AM

nooooooooooooooooooo!

TheReverend
04-18-2012, 08:57 AM

Too much man coverage in Denver last year.

...and that was BEFORE JDR even signed on (he runs even heavier man Ds)

Gcver2ver3
04-18-2012, 09:13 AM
Maybe freeing up space for jonathan stewart?...

Rabb
04-18-2012, 09:16 AM
Only on the Mane can we complain about keeping a position everyone bitches about, while saving money.

Who cares why he did it, he's here and he did it.

Drek
04-18-2012, 09:17 AM

Getting paid is better than not getting paid?

This is a guy who failed to make the 53 man roster of two previous teams. He found a home here in so far as he's found a team who isn't in a hurry to replace him on their roster. Not only that, we're willing to let him actually play.

Vickerson probably knows that if we cut him he's likely done playing pro football ever again, coming off his injury lost season and the fact that he's now too old to talk about "potential". As long as the team wasn't too damn insulting with their request for a pay cut he can't really negotiate too hard back at them.

socalorado
04-18-2012, 09:18 AM

This.
Then EFX can just draft 6 DTs......and a CB for Rev.

bronco militia
04-18-2012, 09:18 AM

ok, that's a little better

:approve:

TonyR
04-18-2012, 09:23 AM
You can only conclude that his agent...

Yup, it's pretty fair to assume that his agent knew far more about the situation than we do and made what he considered to be the best decision for Vickerson and himself. They didn't give up that $ to be charitable to the Broncos.

Beantown Bronco
04-18-2012, 09:31 AM
Only on the Mane can we complain about keeping a position everyone b****es about, while saving money.

Who cares why he did it, he's here and he did it.

To be fair, nobody is complaining about this. It's nothing but good news for the Broncos and I think everyone understands this.

But I (and some others) do care to know why he did it, given some of the context and controversy around the position he plays in general. That's different from complaining. And isn't that why we have the site? Quite often, I find myself caring less about what happened after the fact and want to know why something happened. If you think about it, I'm sure you'll find that we all do this about some issues or events.

Anyone can parrot facts. That's no fun. Give me the back story.

Rabb
04-18-2012, 09:34 AM
To be fair, nobody is complaining about this. It's nothing but good news for the Broncos and I think everyone understands this.

But I (and some others) do care to know why he did it, given some of the context and controversy around the position he plays in general. That's different from complaining. And isn't that why we have the site? Quite often, I find myself caring less about what happened after the fact and want to know why something happened. If you think about it, I'm sure you'll find that we all do this about some issues or events.

Anyone can parrot facts. That's no fun. Give me the back story.

I am just bored and pot-stirring

:yayaya:

Polster60
04-18-2012, 09:34 AM
So, file this under "sources from the light rail" but there is a rumor spreading around that Denver might be making a play for MJD. Apparently was discussed on NFL radio. Who knows, but MJD is looking for a new contract w/the jags.

LIGHT RAIL!!! God I hope it is legit. MJD would be sick with Manning.

pricejj
04-18-2012, 09:35 AM

Stewart would only count $2.6M against the cap.

Contrary to popular belief...I have the Broncos at about $26M under the cap (including the 2011 rollover).

bronco militia
04-18-2012, 09:36 AM
the broncos have a new cap guru....He's probably trying to clean up a mess.

alkemical
04-18-2012, 09:43 AM
the broncos have a new cap guru....He's probably trying to clean up a mess.

Isn't that the pizza guy?

BroncoBen
04-18-2012, 09:51 AM
actually,now that you bring up clady,that may be the reason for the moves. when is cladys contract up?

I believe after this season, I remember reading how the Broncos were going to start this summer on a contract extension for Clady.

broncocalijohn
04-18-2012, 09:52 AM
Maybe he is mad at himself for getting injured and not contributing enough. He had 4 tackles (3 solo) in 5 games. Who knows why he took the pay cut but it is good for the Broncos.

Pick Six
04-18-2012, 09:57 AM
I seem to remember players, including Elway, taking pay cuts during the championship years. That is when they knew they had something special, and worked to add more pieces. Hopefully, history is repeating itself...:lombardi:

Beantown Bronco
04-18-2012, 10:01 AM
I seem to remember players, including Elway, taking pay cuts during the championship years. That is when they knew they had something special, and worked to add more pieces. Hopefully, history is repeating itself...:lombardi:

I don't think any of those high profile guys back in the day took actual paycuts. Restructurings? Yes. Paycuts? I don't think so. There's a big difference between the two and there's a reason why Shanny got himself in so much trouble with dead money and the cap because of it.

Shananahan
04-18-2012, 10:02 AM

This is a guy who failed to make the 53 man roster of two previous teams. He found a home here in so far as he's found a team who isn't in a hurry to replace him on their roster. Not only that, we're willing to let him actually play.

Vickerson probably knows that if we cut him he's likely done playing pro football ever again, coming off his injury lost season and the fact that he's now too old to talk about "potential". As long as the team wasn't too damn insulting with their request for a pay cut he can't really negotiate too hard back at them.
End thread.

bronco militia
04-18-2012, 10:03 AM
Isn't that the pizza guy?

no...the pizza guy is the one ignoring all the DT's every offseason

this guy

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Sullivan-Named-Director-of-Football-Administration/3be79cc8-e323-4ef8-a231-bd7155b38b17

alkemical
04-18-2012, 10:09 AM
no...the pizza guy is the one ignoring all the DT's every offseason

this guy

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Sullivan-Named-Director-of-Football-Administration/3be79cc8-e323-4ef8-a231-bd7155b38b17

Dude, the DT issue has been a problem before we hired pizza guy.

bronco militia
04-18-2012, 10:28 AM
Dude, the DT issue has been a problem before we hired pizza guy.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=98009&highlight=killed

alkemical
04-18-2012, 10:32 AM
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=98009&highlight=killed

https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTYtCHAAlkpBizsuZb579D-Oz2IDnv0OENJ6uWBBD71bwUL_U6r6g

bronco militia
04-18-2012, 10:34 AM
lol!....I have a bad feeling that thread is going to be very active this year

http://assets.diylol.com/hfs/389/f03/e71/resized/tie-meme-generator-i-have-a-bad-feeling-about-this-tie-4f2061.jpg?1331225716.jpg

Taco John
04-18-2012, 10:36 AM

If you were one of the two or three DR's on our current roster, and you got cut, who would be in a hurry to pick you up?

alkemical
04-18-2012, 10:36 AM
I need to start making suits out of grandma's curtains.

alkemical
04-18-2012, 10:38 AM
If you were one of the two or three DR's on our current roster, and you got cut, who would be in a hurry to pick you up?

this would be a perfect spot to drop a 'your mom' post...FYI.

Not sayin'...just sayin'.

:yayaya:

kidding kidding...it's that kinda day today. :)

Beantown Bronco
04-18-2012, 10:40 AM

I view Bunkley as being the equivalent of a cut, considering there's not a single piece of evidence to suggest he was even made a contract offer by the Broncos. And he's now making 5 times what Vickerson is going to make this year.

Gcver2ver3
04-18-2012, 10:41 AM

Contrary to popular belief...I have the Broncos at about $26M under the cap (including the 2011 rollover).

In order to trade for stewart, my guess is a contract extension would be involved...

Isnt stewart on the last year of his deal?...

Gcver2ver3
04-18-2012, 10:43 AM
So, file this under "sources from the light rail" but there is a rumor spreading around that Denver might be making a play for MJD. Apparently was discussed on NFL radio. Who knows, but MJD is looking for a new contract w/the jags.

With JDR here, i could see it...

bronco militia
04-18-2012, 10:47 AM

figure in the Jack Del Rio connection and this rumor makes way too much sense.

DBroncos4life
04-18-2012, 10:52 AM

This is mandatory......Prepare your anus.

eddie mac
04-18-2012, 10:54 AM

I'd hazard a guess that if the likes of Vickerson went elsewhere he'd be lucky to get a base minimum contract, so taking the $1.2m is better than what he'd likely get on the open market and then there's the moving expense to another team and unsettling your family.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Warren take a hefty cut or get cut. $4m base is very high for someone who's struggled to hit the field in recent seasons and he'd be lucky to get half that anywhere else at this point leading up to the draft.

eddie mac
04-18-2012, 11:06 AM

We'd be lucky to have half that. PFT and La Canfora via their league sources stated Denver were $13m odd under a couple of weeks back and that was before they signed Hunter, Willis and Stokley, but prior to the Goodman release and Vickerson paycut.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2012/03/30/salary-cap-situation-for-each-team/

BroncoMan4ever
04-18-2012, 11:11 AM

Yes. look at McBean, he was far from the weakest link on the DL last year, played the most snaps of any DT, and more than likely his suspension will be reduced. if he can get cut, than a guy coming off a season long injury is possibly just as expendable to the team.

Rohirrim
04-18-2012, 11:12 AM
We'd be lucky to have half that. PFT and La Canfora via their league sources stated Denver were $13m odd under a couple of weeks back and that was before they signed Hunter, Willis and Stokley, but prior to the Goodman release and Vickerson paycut.

How much do they realistically have to hold aside for the draft?

peacepipe
04-18-2012, 11:16 AM

good question,fortunately not as much as previous yrs with the new CBA.

Frosty78
04-18-2012, 11:19 AM
Generally you'd figure they would hold 5-8 million back for draft picks. They also have to hold some back for potential signings during the course of the season to account for injuries. So as a guesstimate you'd assume they'd want to be 10 million under at the start of the season.

Beantown Bronco
04-18-2012, 11:21 AM

According to this article, $5 mil on average.

We're probably well below that, given where we are drafting in each round and the fact that we don't have any extra comp picks to sign.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2012-02-06/sports/sfl-miami-dolphins-nfl-salary-cap-20120206_1_salary-cap-cap-space-paul-soliai

Requiem
04-18-2012, 11:58 AM
I think the rookie cap is something that has already been set aside outside the reported amount we have left. I'm guessing that with the additions we have had recently and the cuts, Denver is probably around ~ 15 MIL. Which is still great. If DJ got dumped (if suspended) we would even be saving more. I think that Denver is setting themselves up to be in great cap shape for the future.

Hopefully we can home grow some talent and keep on progressing.

eddie mac
04-18-2012, 12:26 PM
I think the rookie cap is something that has already been set aside outside the reported amount we have left. I'm guessing that with the additions we have had recently and the cuts, Denver is probably around ~ 15 MIL. Which is still great. If DJ got dumped (if suspended) we would even be saving more. I think that Denver is setting themselves up to be in great cap shape for the future.

Hopefully we can home grow some talent and keep on progressing.

Dont think it has been set aside, those numbers are for players under contract, rookies aren't counted against the cap until they sign. A team can drop with zero caproom.

bendog
04-18-2012, 12:45 PM
Dont think it has been set aside, those numbers are for players under contract, rookies aren't counted against the cap until they sign. A team can drop with zero caproom.

I don't think so either. If memory serves, the rookie allocation is made AFTER the draft, because since teams trade picks during the draft, no one can tell how many and what picks a team will have until the draft is finished.

Here's a link, but its a little complicated. Essentially, all rooks get 4 year contracts, so the entire cost of the contract is not included in this year's cap.

http://www.eagles24x7.com/columns/NFL-News-and-Notes/How-the-NFLs-Rookie-Salary-Cap-Works

broncosteven
04-18-2012, 01:48 PM

This

pricejj
04-18-2012, 02:02 PM

La Canfora has been lowballing it since the beginning of free agency...probably per team reporting.

CEH
04-18-2012, 02:05 PM

This would satisfy what the suppose insider information posted a couple weeks ago for sure

I don't know what I would do is we got MJD.

Gcver2ver3
04-18-2012, 02:07 PM
This would satisfy what the suppose insider information posted a couple weeks ago for sure

I don't know what I would do is we got MJD.

What insider info?....

You have the link?...

CEH
04-18-2012, 02:18 PM
What insider info?....

You have the link?...

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=104796

Rabb
04-18-2012, 02:20 PM
Oh God, Empire Orange

Polster60
04-18-2012, 02:33 PM
If the shoe fits eh??!! It would be a heck of a haul if it was accurate. Lol could you imagine the reaction? I would straight up move to Denver just so I could see every game. But it is the season for disinformation.

Gcver2ver3
04-18-2012, 02:34 PM
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=104796

Oh yeah, i remember that...

I thought you were referring to another source specifically pointing us to mjd...

Either way, thanks for digging up the thread... preciate it...

oubronco
04-18-2012, 02:45 PM
Oh God, Empire Orange

He's a legend in his own mind

bendog
04-18-2012, 02:55 PM
you got today's post reporting that Den doesn't/didn't have the cap to up the offer to Thomas (at least before Vickerson) but you're calculating it on your own?

Shananahan
04-18-2012, 03:01 PM
What insider info?....

You have the link?...
I used to longdick a girl who works for the phone provider of Dove Valley. I am efforting a peak at Elway’s phone records.

broncosteven
04-18-2012, 03:45 PM
I used to longdick a girl who works for the phone provider of Dove Valley. I am efforting a peak at Elway’s phone records.

I longdicked some chick at Dove Valley who said some dude was trying to shortdick her for phone numbers.

Gcver2ver3
04-18-2012, 03:50 PM
I longdicked some chick at Dove Valley who said some dude was trying to shortdick her for phone numbers.

Hahahahahahaha...

broncocalijohn
04-18-2012, 04:22 PM

I remember you mentioning that but it looked like you failed and now you are know longer with her. You have failed my Brother!

eddie mac
04-18-2012, 07:01 PM
La Canfora has been lowballing it since the beginning of free agency...probably per team reporting.

The info isn't coming from him. PFT and Jason get their info from someone within the league office who would have direct access to team's exact payroll and cap numbers as per CBA requirements.

Scheff is in the same boat and he quoted the $14m number 2 weeks ago as well. The caproom isn't an issue anyway it's the cash that Bowlen was prepared to spend and in reality he hasn't spent much more this season than he did last year.