PDA

View Full Version : Matt Willis Signs Tender

TheReverend
04-17-2012, 11:50 AM
Broncos re-signed restricted free agent WR Matt Willis to a one-year, $1.26 million contract.

Read more: http://www.fantasysp.com/player/nfl/Matt_Willis/2194206/broncos-matt-willis-re-signs#ixzz1sKDaGie5

:yayaya:

TheReverend
04-17-2012, 11:50 AM
http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/001/806/000/72378169_display_image.jpg?1326742300

schaaf
04-17-2012, 11:52 AM
That's a lot of money for his worthless ass

BroncoBen
04-17-2012, 11:55 AM
Signing for depth.. not sure if he makes the final roster. I think he has the wheels to stretch the field.. his hands are questionable. But kind of hard to tell with TT throwing him the ball.

Play2win
04-17-2012, 11:58 AM
I say give manning as many guys to work with as you can, and let Peyton pick who its really working well with.

yerner
04-17-2012, 12:06 PM
Would anybody be surprise if Willis turned into a go to guy for Manning? I think it highly possible.

Chris
04-17-2012, 12:07 PM
Seems like he's underrated by a lot of you. He's a solid 4th WR who could make big strides with Manning.

MVP-06
04-17-2012, 12:07 PM
Blair White 2.0

lonestar
04-17-2012, 12:08 PM
Willis was a good WR the past few years.. Not great but good.. and YOUNG, I think he will surprise most of the folks on this forum..

Man-Goblin
04-17-2012, 12:14 PM
willisnextgarcon

delany
04-17-2012, 12:14 PM
Better on ST than given credit for here.

Kaylore
04-17-2012, 12:18 PM
You could have worse backups. Seriously. Remember David Terrell? I think he just got arrested for domestic violence.

cmhargrove
04-17-2012, 12:22 PM
Willis has always shown a knack for being able to break wide open in his routes. I'm crossing my fingers that he benefits from the little known "Manning Effect."

Lycan
04-17-2012, 12:27 PM
http://i.minus.com/ibbyvCkdl1JUGl.gif

TheReverend
04-17-2012, 12:30 PM
I dont understand the Willis hate. All he did was make clutch catches with his scant opportunities, and by the end of the year, had supplanted Eddie Royal as our #3 WR (#2 after Decker went down) and he's a downright fantastic ST player, consistently making the play when it's in his lane.

Cito Pelon
04-17-2012, 12:31 PM
Yeah, he's the return man until they can find someone better.

I think it was the Pitt playoff game Denver needed a long 3rd down conversion late in the game and Tebow hit him right in the hands between the CB and the safety, and Willis dropped it. Much like Decker not being able to win a fight for the ball in the middle of the field.

Swedish Extrovert
04-17-2012, 12:39 PM
Signing for depth.. not sure if he makes the final roster. I think he has the wheels to stretch the field.. his hands are questionable. But kind of hard to tell with TT throwing him the ball.

That's kinda true with any WR. I liked Tebow, but he could make Chris Carter look like butterfingers.

vancejohnson82
04-17-2012, 12:40 PM
I dont understand the Willis hate. All he did was make clutch catches with his scant opportunities, and by the end of the year, had supplanted Eddie Royal as our #3 WR (#2 after Decker went down) and he's a downright fantastic ST player, consistently making the play when it's in his lane.

exaclty....i started laughing when i read that he "might not make the final roster"

GTFO

i see a 35-40 catch year...a couple TDs...worth the money

BroncoMan4ever
04-17-2012, 12:41 PM
Would anybody be surprise if Willis turned into a go to guy for Manning? I think it highly possible.

it would honestly not surprise me to see him wind up as our slot guy.

lonestar
04-17-2012, 12:45 PM

HAs me wondering also..

Most WRs are not worth a crap until year 3-4, he had a pretty decent year last year in his (surprise) 4th year..

HArd to get on the field when there is so much turmoil AT HC, OC, QB and get into rhythm..

MAy never be another BM in receptions, but pretty sure he will never BM in drama..

If he can catch 30-50 passes a year he gets a biggier contract next year..

lonestar
04-17-2012, 12:49 PM
Yeah, he's the return man until they can find someone better.

I think it was the Pitt playoff game Denver needed a long 3rd down conversion late in the game and Tebow hit him right in the hands between the CB and the safety, and Willis dropped it. Much like Decker not being able to win a fight for the ball in the middle of the field.

Much like DT did.. in an earlier game.. only to come back and get teh game winner..

BTW he had four clutch catches against a damned good defense the BEARS..

Cito Pelon
04-17-2012, 12:56 PM

I've always been a bigtime supporter of Willis, liked Willis' potential, and yeah he's a nice ST guy, makes tackles when he's supposed to, covers his lanes and can chase a returner down also even if the guy is not in his lane. He gets open a lot, and yes has made some clutch catches.

I'm happy they retained him.

Cito Pelon
04-17-2012, 01:18 PM
HAs me wondering also..

Most WRs are not worth a crap until year 3-4, he had a pretty decent year last year in his (surprise) 4th year..

HArd to get on the field when there is so much turmoil AT HC, OC, QB and get into rhythm..

MAy never be another BM in receptions, but pretty sure he will never BM in drama..

If he can catch 30-50 passes a year he gets a biggier contract next year..

I don't have a problem with Willis at all. I like the guy, he's a competitor, the kind of guy you like to have on your team.

BroncoMan4ever
04-17-2012, 01:47 PM
I don't have a problem with Willis at all. I like the guy, he's a competitor, the kind of guy you like to have on your team.

agreed. He is that type of player who does his job, works hard, and is a team player. he may not be flashy and a superstar in the waiting, but he is a guy that can contribute and is the type of player every team needs.

razorwire77
04-17-2012, 01:52 PM
Willis gets decent separation from defenders in man coverage, but I think his routes need work. Physical corners also seem to manhandle him. He could be a viable 4th WR option, but I think the team needs to draft a burner slot receiver.

UberBroncoMan
04-17-2012, 01:59 PM
Willis was a good WR the past few years.. Not great but good.. and YOUNG, I think he will surprise most of the folks on this forum..

He used to be young.

He's 28.

Smiling Assassin27
04-17-2012, 02:17 PM

Sincerely,

Chris Cole, Todd Devoe, Tarvis McGriff, Triandos Luke, Adrian Madise, Herb Haygood, Muneer Moore, and Ashley Lelie

lonestar
04-17-2012, 02:22 PM

Many of the WR's are such head cases I'd almost never want the super stars on the team.. look at all the drama BM caused every week it was something now he is with his third team which no doubt he will be an even bigger head case cause he is butt buddies with cutlet..

SOrry I'll take the quiet ones that just go out and make catches anyday..

I suspect that BM would get his ass kicked by PM.. but then PM is only going to be around for a few years..

as fro drating one.. Why there are plenty of WR looking for jobs and after they have been in the league a few years you know what kind of head case your getting, drafting one, it will take a few years for the moron to figure out where the urinal is.. By the time they are worth a crap they are head cases and moving on..

lonestar
04-17-2012, 02:22 PM
Sincerely,

Chris Cole, Todd Devoe, Tarvis McGriff, Triandos Luke, Adrian Madise, Herb Haygood, Muneer Moore, and Ashley Lelie

lets see who DAFTED them..

lonestar
04-17-2012, 02:23 PM
He used to be young.

He's 28.

WOW only has up to 10 years left in him..

My God get him ready to retire this year..

SonOfLe-loLang
04-17-2012, 02:27 PM
I like him. He always played well in the preseason and made some nice catches with limited opportunities. He's a crappy kick returner, but a good special teamer otherwise. Seems like the kind of guy who will benefit from manning.

baja
04-17-2012, 02:30 PM
So if the Broncos have a great year is Manning going to get all the credit in the media like Tebow did and will the WRs be butt hurt over it?

Tombstone RJ
04-17-2012, 02:32 PM
I think this Willis contract pretty much is the reason Royal was let go. The coaching staff thinks Willis will be more productive in this new offense than Royal and if not, it's a one year contract.

UberBroncoMan
04-17-2012, 02:34 PM
WOW only has up to 10 years left in him..

My God get him ready to retire this year..

By NFL standards he's old for a WR that's yet to take it to the next level.

Especially in a career that tends to last 3 years.

Maybe he an be B-Lloyd 2.0.

Still. Point remains. 28 is not young in the NFL.

baja
04-17-2012, 02:34 PM
Royal will be a star with SD and Rivers tossing him the ball.

UberBroncoMan
04-17-2012, 02:35 PM

Agreed. He's going to be a Royal pain in our ass.

BroncsCheer
04-17-2012, 03:28 PM

it didn't hurt that he coldcocked Royal on a punt return attempt . .. .

lonestar
04-17-2012, 03:43 PM
By NFL standards he's old for a WR that's yet to take it to the next level.

Especially in a career that tends to last 3 years.

Maybe he an be B-Lloyd 2.0.

Still. Point remains. 28 is not young in the NFL.

Old? yes compared to some.. but for the most part most players come to one team and it is stable have you noticed any stability on this team the past decade?

few WR ever do anything the first 2 years on a team, less than 2 a year rookies come on strong on average first year.. and those that do are either super studs or go to decent teams..

many WR play inot the mid 30's so I'm not worried aout this kiddie..

TheElusiveKyleOrton
04-17-2012, 03:52 PM
What chu talkin' bout?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_xpadHP2LoUA/TAB-0trz5JI/AAAAAAAAArM/KmnZRyOd02I/s1600/GaryColemanblog.jpg

Willis?

Oh.

yerner
04-17-2012, 04:05 PM
Damn, I didn't know he has been in the league five years already.

Lestat
04-17-2012, 04:31 PM
http://i.minus.com/ibbyvCkdl1JUGl.gif
:notworthy that's just awesome

Willis isn't bad and he's a solid back up but i still want to see them draft a guy like Jenkins or Hilton.

Chris
04-17-2012, 05:17 PM
Better on ST than given credit for here.

Insane effort on ST.

montrose
04-17-2012, 05:37 PM
I like Willis a lot, in fact - I could see him improving big time with Manning. Wouldn't even be stunned if he beat out Stokley, Caldwell and Hill to be the #3.

KipCorrington25
04-17-2012, 05:40 PM
The next Ed McCaffrey, he is half white isn't he?

Taco John
04-17-2012, 05:41 PM
That's a lot of money for his worthless ass

Worthless? How do you figure?

Taco John
04-17-2012, 05:50 PM

This. I'm confounded that anyone could call Willis worthless. The guy caught 18 balls last season, and 15 of them were first downs (with a 15 yard receiving average). That's anything but worthless. Willis, if anything, has shown that he has the potential to be clutch and provide this team with a valuable third down option.

errand
04-17-2012, 06:06 PM
The next Ed McCaffrey, he is half white isn't he?

Well, maybe he'll be the next Willie Green...

vancejohnson82
04-17-2012, 06:20 PM

yea, he is going to be a superstar out there

:oyvey:

baja
04-17-2012, 09:14 PM
yea, he is going to be a superstar out there

:oyvey:

He didn't fit into McD's offensive plan

Tebow didn't look his way much

He's been on ice since Shanny left.

He'll fit the SD offense very well.

You will see a different player this season.

DarkHorse30
04-17-2012, 09:41 PM
So if the Broncos have a great year is Manning going to get all the credit in the media like Tebow did and will the WRs be butt hurt over it?

who cares?

baja
04-17-2012, 09:43 PM
who cares?

DT